Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1850047 times)

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #1300 on: March 27, 2015, 09:47:47 AM »
I've been lurking here for a year or more.  Every time I think I'll post I have too much to say, so I stop.

I really understand what theadvicist is talking about.  good stuff.

As for lotions etc, a small group of friends and I have a swap every once in a while.  Some people are finicky about it being half used (I wouldn't buy it at goodwill! ugh!) but trading with friends has been easy for me.

The whole concept of not buying things in the first place is brilliant. I'm being a little facetious. It shouldn't be mind blowing, but it is, over and over again. Several years ago I stopped buying products (and even food) until they really were empty.  Perhaps I miss a bargain or two that way, but I don't have 3 or 4 extra bottles in the cupboard. I think I am better at rationing and using reasonable amounts (tooth paste/ dish soap) when I have enough vs. excess.

I've been meandering around the minimalist lifestyle since I was a teenager.  I wouldn't have called it minimalist then, and hesitate to call it such now.  It's a good life, that's what it is. 

Thanks for the daily inspiration to battle entropy. 

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #1301 on: March 27, 2015, 10:46:08 AM »
It's dumpster week at our house.  We are clearing out the basement floors, walls, ceiling, and a good deal of junk from the basement and elsewhere.

It's wonderful seeing all that crap out of the house!  We have the dumpster until the 31st, it's almost half full now, and I anticipate we will have no problems (other than sore muscles) filling it.

kmt88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1302 on: March 27, 2015, 11:04:22 AM »
I love this thread.  I too feel "guilty" about getting rid of items not the "right way."  or I think "someday I will use it!!" so I still have school supplies from high school in a drawer... and I graduated almost ten years ago. 

ok y'all are inspiring me to get at it again this weekend.  wish me luck!

Cougar

• Bristles
« Reply #1303 on: March 27, 2015, 11:25:50 AM »

I have gone thru the kitchen and bathroom. hard to believe i had multiples of things like windex because i just went and bought a new one rather than looking for it.

still have the living room and bedroom closet to go thru.

by the time i finish this, especially this closet; i imagine i'll come of with a couple hundred feet of space that has been holding junk that i thought i'd use or wear but realize i never will.

it truly amazes me how much people buy, espeially myself; to fill up space or impress some one that didnt even notice. my dad came by for the first time in a year recently and said he didnt even notice the books of my bookshelf despite my putting that bookshelf up for my many books read.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1304 on: March 27, 2015, 11:38:10 AM »
I love this thread.  I too feel "guilty" about getting rid of items not the "right way."  or I think "someday I will use it!!" so I still have school supplies from high school in a drawer... and I graduated almost ten years ago. 

ok y'all are inspiring me to get at it again this weekend.  wish me luck!

With school supplies, is there a university near you?  The library might take them, even if they're imperfect/partially used.  I just got rid of a bunch of pencils and pens (any that still work but which we don't use) by taking them to the library.  They have a stash for when patrons ask for a pen or pencil, ones that they don't mind the patrons "stealing".  They'd probably take paper, notebooks, or other school supplies as well, or at least know where on campus to direct you to donate those. 

Libraries will generally take USB thumb drives, too, if you have far too many, and some charging/power cables for the electronics they check out would probably also be useful, since those get lost or stolen frequently. 
Lastly, for those people who want to keep CDs and DVDs but don't want the cases, donate them to the library!  Theirs frequently get damaged in circulation and they might be really thankful to get some replacements.

I realized that our local library has a lot of potted plants, which the staff and faculty take care of on their own.  It creates a welcoming and nurturing atmosphere, particularly in the depths of winter when it's cold, dark, and snowy outside.  So I need to remember to take some potting soil and some old planter pots over there which I'm not going to move with us this summer.  I use the library frequently so I feel that anything I do to support them is a good thing.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1305 on: March 27, 2015, 11:43:01 AM »
School supplies: once our neighbour gave us a big ziploc full of pens, pencils and pencil crayons. It was such a blessing to us at the time because we were homeschooling and quite broke with our young, large family. The kids were over the moon excited about getting that gift, so don't underestimate how valuable those school supplies might be to someone if you give them away! :-)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1306 on: March 27, 2015, 01:20:02 PM »
Husband and son just left with a 15 passenger van full of  junk for the dump! Wahoo! A broken bumper! A flat tire! A broken shelf! A broken mirrored closet door! A broken bedframe! The list goes on and on and on

handsnhearts

• Bristles
« Reply #1307 on: March 27, 2015, 04:32:07 PM »
I still have this little corner filled with some things I'd like to sell. Obviously sellings not my thing,,, I wouldn't bother except these things are worth something. Ill need to ask a friend/family for help with this, as I've never done this before. I'm such a procrastinator jeez.. I think its a fear of getting ripped off, feeling like I messed up because I don't know any better. Of course if I ask for help & do research of values that would likely solve that .

This was how I felt when I started too. I was afraid of screwing up, or getting ripped off because I'd never done it before. I still have a pile in the corner, but I'm working through it one at a time. The first time someone responded to my ad and came over and gave me money for something I just wanted to be rid of it was very exciting. I used that excitement to motivate me to put up more items for sale.

My advice is to just pick one thing in your pile that is likely to sell. Take a look and see what other people are selling it for in your area, or another city. Take some pics and post it for sale. One thing is not as overwhelming as an entire pile. You'll learn as you go and it'll get easier. If you are anything like me, you'll never learn by procrastinating.

That said, some things sell quickly, others take some time. If you don't get any responses right away don't worry about it, just move on to the next thing. I put up a few things over a month ago and stopped thinking about them. Just got an email today asking if one of them is still available.

Cookie, that's a really inspiring and easy transition into selling stuff.  I love it!  I'm going to try it this weekend.  Thanks so much!

handsnhearts

• Bristles
« Reply #1308 on: March 27, 2015, 04:36:37 PM »
One thing that still does help me with the eco-guilt is to tell myself the resources have already been used. The stuff that went into making that product is used up, committed, even if I never throw it away the result is the same. I feel better about washing 'perfectly good' cleanser or something down the sink when I think of this because I am freeing up the bottle to be recycled into something useful.

The money is gone, and there is no point crying over spilt milk. Instead, I remind myself that if getting rid of stuff is so hard for me the easiest thing is not to accumulate stuff in the first place. So now, if I am even slightly unsure or hesitant about a purchase the answer is always NO.

Definitely about not bringing as much into the house. It is the most helpful thing. 

I like the idea that the resources have already been used.  Actually I think I feel less bad about pouring it down the sink too and then recycling the container, I just never thought of that as an option!  Silly me!  I always think I have to throw it in the trash!  And i'm pretty particular about buying mostly natural products, so washing it down isn't a big deal. 

Today, we went to the zoo.  I have 2 old sunscreens that are now a bit chuncky (zinc oxide), but they still work fine.  I would rather use the brand new one, but I used the older ones.  I think however I will now start using the old ones on the body and the new one on the face.  That might be the best of both worlds.  Or should I just throw them out?

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1309 on: March 27, 2015, 04:45:23 PM »

Today, we went to the zoo.  I have 2 old sunscreens that are now a bit chuncky (zinc oxide), but they still work fine.  I would rather use the brand new one, but I used the older ones.  I think however I will now start using the old ones on the body and the new one on the face.  That might be the best of both worlds.  Or should I just throw them out?

You could try and melt them down, adding a little neutral carrier oil if you need to and reusing. When doing things like this, I reuse old glass jars to melt in as it will probably leave a film that is a royal PITA to clean out afterwards.

handsnhearts

• Bristles
« Reply #1310 on: March 27, 2015, 04:49:33 PM »

You could try and melt them down, adding a little neutral carrier oil if you need to and reusing. When doing things like this, I reuse old glass jars to melt in as it will probably leave a film that is a royal PITA to clean out afterwards.

Great Idea!  They are natural anyway, no nothing weird, just oil and zinc basically.  and the zinc is precipitating out.  I love it and I'm gonna do it.  and if it fails, well I tried and can feel great about it. 

Now if I can just throw away the wax left over from the tea light candles...  I know, this sounds bad.  My house is not a hoarder house, I swear!  We do not have narrow pathways! I can see all surfaces completely.  ;)

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #1311 on: March 27, 2015, 05:43:35 PM »
I got rid of a whole bunch of wax to someone who heats their house with a fire, the wax is great for them to make firestarters out of.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1312 on: March 28, 2015, 09:20:26 AM »
School supplies: once our neighbour gave us a big ziploc full of pens, pencils and pencil crayons. It was such a blessing to us at the time because we were homeschooling and quite broke with our young, large family. The kids were over the moon excited about getting that gift, so don't underestimate how valuable those school supplies might be to someone if you give them away! :-)

I can attest to this - I just took my 5 year old niece lots of coloured paper and cardboard I'd been saving for... I dunno, packing parcels? I figured if I need cardboard I can always go get a cereal box from the kitchen. She, on the other hand, thought all her Christmases had come at once!

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1313 on: March 28, 2015, 03:53:02 PM »
Now that I've decluttered quite a bit, it gave me the courage to face my clothes closet again and to ask (a la Marie Kondo) whether the items spark joy. Funny thing, I was hard pressed to find even one item that sparked joy! That realization was a little disturbing and I found myself wondering if maybe I'm depressed or if I just have a really dull set of clothes in my closet! I walked away and let it be for a few days. Maybe today I will go back and approach it again. (sigh)

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1314 on: March 28, 2015, 04:11:37 PM »
Yes it can be a confronting question! I realised an awful lot of my stuff I kept out of a sense of obligation or commitment to the item: "you bought it, so you have to use it", or the item had been gifted to me and somehow I was obligated to use it out of respect to the giver. "Waste not, want not" is also lingering around somewhere in my brain too.  With clothes, I do have a few favourites that spark joy, but an awful lot of dross. It did help me release quite a lot of clothes: ones that I actually actively disliked but kept because they were still good. Most of the ones I wear now I am at least neutral about.  I didn't want to throw everything out as I would have nothing left and am on the no buy clothes challenge. So I just shelled out the worst, and kept a smaller amount

edit typo
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 02:29:49 PM by happy »

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1315 on: March 28, 2015, 08:49:35 PM »
A friend told me today that they are  moving and already had 30 boxes packed, "but that's just books and movies!  We love books and movies!  That was over a thousand movies!"

I came home, opened my cupboard and looked for things to get rid of. 

Two photo albums (removed the photos to trash, empty albums to goodwill)
One textbook I couldn't resell
assorted recent junkmail
I also baked lemon bars from a mix that's been in the cupboard too long

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1316 on: March 29, 2015, 01:41:57 AM »
I realised an awful to of my stuff I kept out of a sense of obligation or commitment to the item: "you bought it, so you have to use it", or the item had been gifted to me and somehow I was obligated to use it out of respect to the giver. "Waste not, want not" is also lingering around somewhere in my brain too. 

+1  These thoughts rattle around in my head too ... thank you for putting them into words for me!

With clothes, I do have a few favourites that spark joy, but an awful lot of dross. It did help me release quite a lot of clothes: ones that I actually actively disliked but kept because they were still good. Most of the ones I wear now I am at least neutral about.  I didn't want to throw everything out as I would have nothing left and am on the no buy clothes challenge. So I just shelled out the worst, and kept a smaller amount

I wonder about this too .. if I were to go through my closet with real intentionality, I'm not sure there would be much left! Then again, I only wear a few favourite pieces anyways. I just hate the thought of having to go out and spend more money on clothes.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #1317 on: March 29, 2015, 02:20:49 AM »
I picked several soft toys to donate, a photo album that only had one photo in it (took that out first!) and chucked a bunch of tiny bits of paper and plastic. It's nice to be releasing the toys, I am quite a fan of soft toys! No, we have no kids, they were all mine! Fortunately the really important sentimental ones are unsuitable for donation, and the ones that don't spark joy are the ones that a kid would be happy to receive.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1318 on: March 29, 2015, 06:41:08 AM »
Two jackets and one lemongrass moisturizer out (never enjoyed the scent) that I brought home from a hotel in Vegas for some reason.. One of the jackets cost me around $70 new 5yrs ago and for mostly that reason was hard to let go of. Other jacket I picked out of a free clothing bin and never wore because the style is too unusual, even for me. Its cute though, so that's why I had picked it up in the first place. Its becoming easier certainly to let things go.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1319 on: March 29, 2015, 06:54:17 AM »
I still have this little corner filled with some things I'd like to sell. Obviously sellings not my thing,,, I wouldn't bother except these things are worth something. Ill need to ask a friend/family for help with this, as I've never done this before. I'm such a procrastinator jeez.. I think its a fear of getting ripped off, feeling like I messed up because I don't know any better. Of course if I ask for help & do research of values that would likely solve that .

This was how I felt when I started too. I was afraid of screwing up, or getting ripped off because I'd never done it before. I still have a pile in the corner, but I'm working through it one at a time. The first time someone responded to my ad and came over and gave me money for something I just wanted to be rid of it was very exciting. I used that excitement to motivate me to put up more items for sale.

My advice is to just pick one thing in your pile that is likely to sell. Take a look and see what other people are selling it for in your area, or another city. Take some pics and post it for sale. One thing is not as overwhelming as an entire pile. You'll learn as you go and it'll get easier. If you are anything like me, you'll never learn by procrastinating.

That said, some things sell quickly, others take some time. If you don't get any responses right away don't worry about it, just move on to the next thing. I put up a few things over a month ago and stopped thinking about them. Just got an email today asking if one of them is still available.

This is a great idea, thank you:). It sounds much less stressful and more manageable. Next time I'm home I will go into the corner and select an item to begin with. Agree 100% on procrastination. It really does up the anxiety levels for me (and depending on what I am putting off can be actually potentially damaging...).

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1320 on: March 29, 2015, 07:11:28 AM »
This thread is inspiring. Cleaning out jackets, shoes and baby clothes today.

Also finally using up the last of free samples of soap - took six months to work thru my stash. I still have a small amount left but will keep it for camping. Way easier than lugging around bigger ones or buying new travel sized ones. Next on list is samples of moisturizers and body lotions. I also have too many big bottles of moisturizers.... And I don't even use them regularly. not sure what prompted me to buy such big ones for each room.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 07:13:54 AM by cutenila »

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #1321 on: March 29, 2015, 08:07:17 AM »
Our week with the dumpster is going well.  In fact, it's going amazingly well!  DH and I have both gotten rid of things that the other person didn't think they would.  In addition to the walls, floors, ceilings, and cabinets in the basement we've gotten rid of 2 glazed concrete half walls (one was the bar and one the kitchen peninsula framework), several lamps, several free standing cabinets made of particle board, and a ton of miscellaneous crap.

I am so stoked at how much we've done!  The dumpster (a 20 yard one) is getting close to full.  We may actually run out of space in the dumpster before we run out of things to discard!

Backup plan is to leave some of the furring strips and other wood things and burn them over the next few months.  We only have a tiny fire pit, so this option isn't a great one, but it will work.

Considering the 2 concrete walls we knocked down and put in the dumpster, we think it's possible we are overweight.  But that's okay, a few extra $$ is worth it to get our basement back!  It's been unusable for the past 2 years due to everything deteriorating with age.

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #1322 on: March 29, 2015, 10:31:07 AM »
I wonder about this too .. if I were to go through my closet with real intentionality, I'm not sure there would be much left! Then again, I only wear a few favourite pieces anyways. I just hate the thought of having to go out and spend more money on clothes.

Brakes!!! Don't replace what you don't wear with more things you don't wear. Just bag up what you don't wear in a paper bag on the floor of your closet. In a few months it'll be full but you won't remember what's it in. That's when it's time to go. Just don't get more. You'll feel like you've got a ton to wear because you wear everything you see. That's how it's been working out for me anyway :)

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1323 on: March 29, 2015, 11:10:12 AM »
In response to the wardrobe conversation:  I've done quite a bit of culling in the past year. I had a bit of a "doh!" moment this week when I finally decided to trash a couple pair of worn out shoes and give away a nearly new pair I loathed.  I caught myself thinking "what if I regret this?  What if I have too few shoes and wish I had more?  I guess I'll just buy new ones..."  Obviouisly I'll buy new when I need new. I suppose I knew it logically, but not emotionally.  There will always be clothing and shoes available.  This is not an emergency situation.  I choose to own a small amount. I choose to avoid buying at all right now.  I also choose to store my next pair of super cool shoes at the store until I actually need them.  If I suddely regret getting rid of bags of illfitting clothing there is a junk store in walking distance full of the same things.  (I'm certain that won't happen...)

Out:
worn out socks
cute homemade handkerchiefs (too thick for actual use)
1 pair cotton gloves
2 candle holders
small pile of receipts
extra bath and kitchen towels
1 new bottle of conditioner
planted lettuce seeds in little peat pots I've had for years and moved twice

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1324 on: March 29, 2015, 11:16:10 AM »
What do you do with clothing which you know you'll get into but have no idea how it'll fit? I'm getting back into shape after pregnancy this year and still have some baby fat to burn off. I'm starting to fit into some of my old clothes but have a long way to go with the rest. Even before baby, I usually go from 130 to 150 and back pretty easily. As a result, my closet is a hodge podge of sizes :( though I wish I can be 130 and stick to it all the time, I know I'd gain weight again and need the larger clothes.

Now I have my maternity wear to consider too (we'll be having another kid in one-three years). 75% of my clothes don't spark any joy since they are not the right fit for my current size (can fit and give joy at another weight point of mine) or because they can't be worn daily (I have a lot of cultural dresses that are very beautiful but I won't wear them more than maybe once a year!).

As a result, my closet is a mess with so many clothes but nothing to wear :( any ideas how to tackle this issue?

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #1325 on: March 29, 2015, 12:06:57 PM »
What do you do with clothing which you know you'll get into but have no idea how it'll fit? I'm getting back into shape after pregnancy this year and still have some baby fat to burn off. I'm starting to fit into some of my old clothes but have a long way to go with the rest. Even before baby, I usually go from 130 to 150 and back pretty easily. As a result, my closet is a hodge podge of sizes :( though I wish I can be 130 and stick to it all the time, I know I'd gain weight again and need the larger clothes.

Now I have my maternity wear to consider too (we'll be having another kid in one-three years). 75% of my clothes don't spark any joy since they are not the right fit for my current size (can fit and give joy at another weight point of mine) or because they can't be worn daily (I have a lot of cultural dresses that are very beautiful but I won't wear them more than maybe once a year!).

As a result, my closet is a mess with so many clothes but nothing to wear :( any ideas how to tackle this issue?

Mmmm, that sounds tough.  Can you set a max on the amount of clothes you have for each size?  Like, 1 or 2 cardboard boxes for 130 lbs, 1-2 for 140, and so on?  Then keep your current size in your closet and swap out as you change.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #1326 on: March 29, 2015, 12:56:33 PM »
We got rid of a ton of stuff yesterday. I finished off reading "the life-changing magic of tidying up" at work a couple of days ago, and got a start of some of the suggestions - a big one being not having off-season clothes in storage, i.e. getting rid of enough stuff so that everything you own can be in one place, seen at once. This was a little more difficult than it would be for some people since I share a closet with my boyfriend, but do-able.

I got rid of a big garbage bag full of clothes, old bathroom toiletries and crap, and a bunch of kitchen stuff that I hated (a few things were replaced with things I love, like a new metal colander and stainless steel measuring spoons).

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1327 on: March 29, 2015, 01:31:41 PM »
Most of the ones I wear now I am at least neutral about.  I didn't want to throw everything out as I would have nothing left and am on the no buy clothes challenge. So I just shelled out the worst, and kept a smaller amount

Happy, I like this approach! I'm a big fan of baby stepping it, so keeping clothes from the neutral or positive end of the spectrum and getting rid of the rest seems like a step in the right direction.

I just picked up The Life-Changing Habit of Tidying Up from the library for further inspiration. Great job, everyone!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1328 on: March 29, 2015, 01:54:45 PM »

I did something similar a few years ago when I was losing weight (pre-MMM). I went through my entire closet and tried everything on, just to estimate at what weight it would fit again. I made a box for 140,150,160, and 170 pounds and I filled them all up. Then, when I reached that weight I opened up the next box, like Christmas! It was motivational for the weight loss too. Lots of clothes brought happy memories, especially ones in the 140 box since I hadn't seen them in so long. Then I filled the boxes with the clothes that were now too big.

After I got to 130 I took all the boxes and donated everything. Never want to fit into those clothes again.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1329 on: March 29, 2015, 04:07:46 PM »

Mmmm, that sounds tough.  Can you set a max on the amount of clothes you have for each size?  Like, 1 or 2 cardboard boxes for 130 lbs, 1-2 for 140, and so on?  Then keep your current size in your closet and swap out as you change.

Aside from the pregnancy, consider what is causing your weight to fluctuate that much. My weight used to go up and down a lot, and it took me a while to realize there was a serious problem underlying it. Actually, it really took me getting multiple colds from being underweight and realizing that I wasn't remembering to eat because I didn't feel hungry. Now I've learned to manage the issue better so my weight is much more stable. If you can pin it down and stabilize, that'll help with clothes and probably be healthier for you.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1330 on: March 29, 2015, 09:55:22 PM »
After work today , I decided to rearrange the furniture ( all of which I will keep, there isn't much) . so , of course as I was moving everything around, and saw all my stuff in piles and disarray , I found more things to toss and donate :) . fabrics, 3 books, several CD's I don't like... And I'm tossing 2 lipsticks half used in colors I hate, random paperwork.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 09:57:24 PM by riverffashion »

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1331 on: March 29, 2015, 10:27:26 PM »
Its interesting to me that several people have mentioned disliking most of what's in their wardrobe, because I feel the same way too . I don't have many clothes (certainly enough) , certain pieces I love and wear often. Others , i wear every couple months. Most of the items I never or almost never wear have been donated by now. Most, not all..... I open the closet to get dressed sometimes and think I would love to just get rid of most everything. Of course that is crazy and I would never do that.  Im really picky about pretty much everything- which has really helped me save a boatload of money- so many things I had acquired in the past ( because now I really almost never buy anything, esp clothing) were things I kind of liked or fit well or whatever, but I rarely actually love an item, esp clothing. Maybe it would make more sense to donate more of these clothes then. And add as needed ( usually castoffs from my girlfriends and coworkers) ,

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1332 on: March 30, 2015, 01:34:47 AM »
Thanks everyone! Boxing up clothes based on weight it's a brilliant idea!! Will report back how it goes.

Sibley, the cause for my weight loss and gain are poor diet and exercise. When I'm busy, I tend to slack in diet and exercise and hit 150 quickly. When I have time, I concentrate in these two and my weight comes down to 130. Can't wait to fire so I have enough time to keep my weight at 130.

fullbeardandweird

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1333 on: March 30, 2015, 01:53:15 AM »
Gave away one of my bicycles filling up my shed.  Now somebody has a new commuter bike :)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1334 on: March 30, 2015, 02:43:06 AM »
I open the closet to get dressed sometimes and think I would love to just get rid of most everything. Of course that is crazy and I would never do that. 

Not crazy at all! If you want to do it, go ahead. If you're worried you'll miss the clothes, do as suggested upthread and box / bag them up and put them somewhere you can get to them if you miss them enough, and after a certain number of weeks donate them.

I culled my clothes dramatically recently. I wear vests (as in, the British usage of underwear) near daily because I am always cold when other people are comfortable. So I had, hmmm, 15 vests? Most I didn't like, were grey instead of white, had straps that kept falling off etc. This morning I went to find a vest and panicked because I only had one white one clean. Then I thought, why panic? Yes, I only have one, but I only have one body, so I have everything I need today. Also... I then found a second one. So even having got rid of a lot of stuff, I am slowly learning I didn't need or want it in the first place.

I've also put some leather boots in the donate box. I bought them in my 'youth', they were very expensive italian leather yada yada yada, but the truth is, even if they come back into fashion (which they won't) the heels always feel like they are going to break so I am not comfortable walking in them, so, er, why am I keeping them? The layer of dust they had accumulated was the final push to donate. Bye boots, thanks for the memories.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1335 on: March 30, 2015, 04:17:51 AM »
This thread is inspiring. Cleaning out jackets, shoes and baby clothes today.

Also finally using up the last of free samples of soap - took six months to work thru my stash. I still have a small amount left but will keep it for camping. Way easier than lugging around bigger ones or buying new travel sized ones. Next on list is samples of moisturizers and body lotions.

Just a thought since this seems to have come up in a few posts - Women's shelters and homeless shelters are always super, super grateful for any travel size or sample size hygiene/beauty products. Once I had a women literally break down into tears of gratitude because she got a sample of a lotion in her favorite scent  (left an abusive relationship and everything behind)

I have been making great progress, I am in fact typing from my desktop, which is in our office - which ended up being the collection room for all of our junk/ I have no idea where to put this storage since we moved in Dec.  The floor is clean, the surfaces are clear and much clutter has been removed. Several boxes are ready to be taken to the thrift store or sold on our local buy and sell. Sorting out the paperwork is an ongoing process, but now I have some room to do it :)

I am really enjoying hearing about every ones progress!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1336 on: March 30, 2015, 08:19:31 AM »
This is such a great thread. Inspiring and motivating.

I tackled the garage this weekend. Well I started at least. There were so many things to get rid of that I will never miss. Why exactly was I keeping that second microwave? And the VERY old VERY beat up vacuum cleaner (I don't have another one, but I also don't have a carpet)?

I also finally posted online all of the things I had in my 'for sale' pile. Between those and the many things posted in the 'Free stuff' Facebook group I'm starting to get slightly overwhelmed with who is coming when to pick up which items! But it's great to see them all go out the door. The pile is certainly looking much more manageable.

RunningWithScissors

• Stubble
« Reply #1337 on: March 30, 2015, 01:47:50 PM »
Just a few suggestions on places which might accept your unwanted that you might not have thought of, and which will keep this stuff out of the landfill:

Women's emergency shelters:  mini-toiletries from hotels, cosmetics/lotions etc in 'nearly-new' condition. 

Youth shelters/Boys and Girls clubs:  anything school related including backpacks, school supplies or general art/craft supplies.  Socks and winter clothes are needed at most shelters.

Animal shelters:  old towels and blankets to make institutional steel cages a little more comfortable and less stressful, grocery bags for litter disposal.

Habitat for Humanity 'Restore' outlets:  building supplies in reusable condition such as lumber, drywall, plumbing or electrical fixtures and even furniture and artwork.

Most places have lists of needed 'donations in kind' right on their websites.  I had two boxes of random leftover skeins of wool that went to the YWCA.  The 'Y-Knit' program distributes it to knitting programs in senior's lodges, where the knitters make booties and caps to keep premature babies warm in hospital incubators.  Double win!

Write Thyme

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I will get there one day.
    • Simple Living. Saving + Frugality. Meal Planning.
« Reply #1338 on: March 30, 2015, 03:24:28 PM »
I've been on the waiting list for "The Life-Changing Habit of Tidying Up" since it came out! I think I'm in the 40's now.

I've attempted and failed the 30 Day Declutter Challenge a few times due to time constraints and a toddler. So on April 1st I'm going to get started again. This time instead of getting rid of 1 item that day I will get rid of as many as I can and mark that "day/number" off on the calender. I've been keeping a mental list of all the things I want to get rid of. The anticipation is exciting.

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #1339 on: March 30, 2015, 04:34:08 PM »
Another idea for hand lotion that is maybe not your favorite, but a decent scent, is to take it to work and set it in the restroom on the counter for communal use - best type for that is the pump dispensing kind. I also peeled the label off the plastic bottle, once everyone had had a chance to see what it was, and it makes it look a little more elegant than having visible writing on it. Even a plastic bottle looks quite fancy and apothecary style once the label is carefully peeled off (and de-glued :))

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1340 on: March 30, 2015, 06:43:18 PM »
Thanks everyone! Boxing up clothes based on weight it's a brilliant idea!! Will report back how it goes.

Sibley, the cause for my weight loss and gain are poor diet and exercise. When I'm busy, I tend to slack in diet and exercise and hit 150 quickly. When I have time, I concentrate in these two and my weight comes down to 130. Can't wait to fire so I have enough time to keep my weight at 130.

Glad it's an "easy" problem! Good luck :)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1341 on: March 31, 2015, 07:40:49 AM »
Just a few suggestions on places which might accept your unwanted that you might not have thought of, and which will keep this stuff out of the landfill:

Women's emergency shelters:  mini-toiletries from hotels, cosmetics/lotions etc in 'nearly-new' condition. 

Youth shelters/Boys and Girls clubs:  anything school related including backpacks, school supplies or general art/craft supplies.  Socks and winter clothes are needed at most shelters.

Animal shelters:  old towels and blankets to make institutional steel cages a little more comfortable and less stressful, grocery bags for litter disposal.

Habitat for Humanity 'Restore' outlets:  building supplies in reusable condition such as lumber, drywall, plumbing or electrical fixtures and even furniture and artwork.

Most places have lists of needed 'donations in kind' right on their websites.  I had two boxes of random leftover skeins of wool that went to the YWCA.  The 'Y-Knit' program distributes it to knitting programs in senior's lodges, where the knitters make booties and caps to keep premature babies warm in hospital incubators.  Double win!

Good ideas!  We have a ReStore near us, and I've donated various light fixtures, a bathroom vanity we replaced, etc.  I have some tile I should probably haul down there.

I'm also doing the use up the toiletries thing, and making good progress.  I'm down to one kind of hair styling goo, and almost down to one body wash.  Cleaning supplies are getting consolidated too.  Last night I used up a bag of shrub fertilizer that I bought probably 7 years ago and never opened.  The space in all the shelves and cupboards is great - no digging around to find what's needed.

mleigh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1342 on: March 31, 2015, 02:35:43 PM »
Took a carload to Habitat for Humanity Restore on Saturday---a screen door, lumber, window blinds, and an unused closet organizer, all gone!  With a receipt for taxes, too.  Just returned an item to Amazon for $14; thought I was going to need it and it came and doesn't work like I thought it would.  I considered just keeping it, but that seemed silly when I can get rid of the item AND get the money back! 

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1343 on: March 31, 2015, 03:57:55 PM »
Over the weekend I went through my closet, which I thought I had pretty much been through a few months ago. I used the Konmari method of touching each item and seeing how I felt about it, along with thanking the items I chose to release. It was very easy and relaxing, and I have 3 big plastic bins full of things to let go of. I'm not set up to do her style of folding -- I don't have a dresser and all my shelves are above eye level, so I need to hang things and stack them flat rather than vertically -- but everything is very tidy in my closet right now.

I'm trying to organize a clothing swap with some of my pals. Hopefully we can do it in the month of April. My goal will be to bring almost nothing out of the swap though -- only if something is perfect and I love it (not just think it might be useful someday or something). We're moving this summer so I need to vastly reduce the size of my junkload, not add it to it.

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1344 on: March 31, 2015, 08:54:20 PM »
Over the weekend I went through my closet, which I thought I had pretty much been through a few months ago. I used the Konmari method of touching each item and seeing how I felt about it, along with thanking the items I chose to release. It was very easy and relaxing, and I have 3 big plastic bins full of things to let go of. I'm not set up to do her style of folding -- I don't have a dresser and all my shelves are above eye level, so I need to hang things and stack them flat rather than vertically -- but everything is very tidy in my closet right now.

I'm trying to organize a clothing swap with some of my pals. Hopefully we can do it in the month of April. My goal will be to bring almost nothing out of the swap though -- only if something is perfect and I love it (not just think it might be useful someday or something). We're moving this summer so I need to vastly reduce the size of my junkload, not add it to it.

That's good to hear!  So did you do as she suggests, and put out ALL your clothes (on the floor or on the bed) to go through them all at once?  I haven't taken that big step yet, but I am close to doing it!

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #1345 on: April 01, 2015, 04:24:52 AM »
Found this article in an other thread. Pretty much nails it imo.

Another good article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/boomers-unwanted-inheritance/2015/03/27/0e75ff6e-45c4-11e4-b437-1a7368204804_story.html

Stuff it:  Millenials nix their parents' treasures.

Millennials dont' want all the things their Baby Boomer parents want to pass down to them.  There is a lot of stuff now that nobody seems to want.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1346 on: April 01, 2015, 08:14:31 AM »
Another good purge this morning, this time of wallets and small leather goods. I have listed everything I think has some value on ebay. A few bits set to go to the charity shop, and two item I forgot I had which I plan to use day to day!

I also went through shoes and boots, and got rid of 5 pairs. Now they all fit properly in their designated area with room to breathe, instead of all being squished and jumbled which made it hard and inconvenient to put my shoes away each day.

I'm also noticing how much easier life is with no stuff. Easy to clean - something I've always hated, but now I find myself doing bits here and there willingly when I notice it needs doing. It's a combination of not having to move or work around anything, and the fact that my cleaning products and cloths are not all shoved into too small a space meaning pulling one out results in a tumble I then have to struggle to cram back in.

I currently have 18 auctions going on ebay, including a pair of brand new jeans my husband pulled out the other day. I have been careful not to touch any of his stuff, or nag him to get rid of items. He just brought them to me when I was listing other stuff, and said, "I tried these on the other day and decided I'm never going to wear them", and that was that. It seems leading by example is working (this is a major thing for a guy who never gets rid of clothing. Though to be fair it's pretty hard to get him to buy anything either, which is an improvement on my 'buy it all, and STILL never get rid of anything' model).

I'm still tallying everything up for my 2015 things out of the house in 2015 personal challenge. Just broke 750 items! And still, I have not missed a single one!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1347 on: April 01, 2015, 08:23:32 AM »
I'm still tallying everything up for my 2015 things out of the house in 2015 personal challenge. Just broke 750 items! And still, I have not missed a single one!

That's awesome! I'm around 310 items now, but same thing as you, haven't missed a single thing! I was amazed going through the garage this weekend at the stuff I found that I'd forgotten completely about.

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #1348 on: April 01, 2015, 08:32:11 AM »
Just broke 750 items! And still, I have not missed a single one!
I didn't keep count, but I haven't missed one thing, too. (Not even my car)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1349 on: April 01, 2015, 08:45:56 AM »

That's awesome! I'm around 310 items now, but same thing as you, haven't missed a single thing! I was amazed going through the garage this weekend at the stuff I found that I'd forgotten completely about.
Well done cookie!