Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1850084 times)

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #1150 on: February 26, 2015, 11:08:03 PM »
I finally culled our book collection to a manageable size. For our textbooks, I was comparing between amazon trade in and eBay. Should I just send them for trade in and be done with it? Or should I put it on eBay and sell over a longer period of time? The difference is easily a couple of hundred dollars. My husband says we won't go through with the selling on eBay thing. But I think this would be a perfect way to dip our toes into eBay selling.

What would u suggest?

KD

• Stubble
  • "Waste is a resource out of place."-Coors Mfg.
« Reply #1151 on: February 27, 2015, 11:30:02 AM »
Took a car load of stuff to the Salvation Army this a.m. gleaned from the dumpster by son...nothing he wanted to sell in his somewhat regular garage sales, but not needing to be thrown away either.  We were on our way to grocery anyway.

The garage sales he has nothing is priced under a $1 so he keeps no change on hand.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1152 on: February 27, 2015, 04:16:47 PM »
This week it's clearing our tv cabinet. I want to sell our DVDs and husband finally said yes to selling Xbox (he doesn't play anymore but was reluctant to part with it). Will also check out the cabinet for more stuff to sell, donate, toss.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1153 on: February 27, 2015, 04:26:22 PM »
Just got a note from husband - the move for which we are decluttering might not happen after all. So I can take my time decluttering. I can either sell books on eBay (wait for a good time) or amazon trade in(stuff gone, money in hand but less profit). Now that we may not be moving, I'm not sure if I should declutter quickly. My husband is all for decluttering quickly even at a loss as long as the house becomes lighter.

Do you think I should declutter quickly or take my time selling stuff on eBay for more profit?
I can't seem to decide: money vs clean house immediately
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 04:36:43 PM by cutenila »

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1154 on: February 27, 2015, 09:17:30 PM »
Do you think I should declutter quickly or take my time selling stuff on eBay for more profit?

I've sold a lot of stuff on eBay over the past year, but I don't seem to have any luck with books there. I took down my book auctions and put them up on Amazon; still not sold, so who knows. The prices could probably be lowered to make them sell. Do you only have books or are there other items you can sell?

A couple tips to make eBay more profitable for you as the seller and make sure you get paid:

* Go to: My eBay, Account, Seller Account and change Buyer Preferences to the strictest settings possible. Only accept buyers with Paypal, buyers with the least negative feedback and fewest non-payment strikes. Yes, you may get fewer bidders/buyers, but the ones you get will be better quality.

* Borrow or buy a cheap digital scale to weigh your own packages, pay for postage/print your shipping labels via eBay (after weighing and measuring). Ebay charges the same discounted online rate that USPS/stamps.com charges with no monthly fee. I print my labels on plain white paper and use clear packing tape to attach them to the packages. If you prepay postage & print your own labels, you can just drop off your packages on the post office counter or leave them for the mail carrier to pick up from home; you don't need to wait in line. (I love that!!)

* If a buyer doesn't pay you within 48 hours, click on the item and select Resolve a Problem and Buyer Hasn't Paid. This will open a case so that eBay will go after payment for you. If the buyer still doesn't pay, ebay will refund any fees you've been charged for the auction. It helps resolve the issue much quicker AND it causes deadbeat buyers to have non-payment strikes against them, which helps keep the system functioning.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 09:30:25 PM by Practical Magic »

KBecks2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1155 on: February 28, 2015, 07:08:37 AM »
With your books, have you tried paperback swap?  It means you will get credits for more books (and you have to pay to ship them) so it is not ideal, but if you want to have different books to read, you could try it.  The software lets you develop wish lists too.

KBecks2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1156 on: February 28, 2015, 07:09:29 AM »
I am thinking of getting rid of all our books and only buying copies 2nd hand when I need a specific book for a specific thing.  Once it's read it's outta here.  (Except for some reference books -- if I use them all the time! ). 

LadyDriver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1157 on: February 28, 2015, 09:36:38 AM »

Personally, I detest selling things online. In fact, it was my entry in the "small things you could do to save money, but don't" thread. My MIL runs a charity rummage sale for her church, so I give nearly everything that can be sold to her.

If you don't mind/enjoy the sales process, I would sell them to maximize cash. If the pile of items to be sold will simply be a source of guilt for months before you haul it to the thrift store, then cut out the middle man and donate now.

Re books: I live in a craftsman with built in bookcases. Those bookcases determine the quantity of books I own. The collection changes as books drift in and out of my life (I am a sucker for the 25 cent book pile) Thanks to the library, I rarely wish for something I can't have.

jordanread

« Reply #1158 on: February 28, 2015, 11:28:37 AM »
I got rid of a good chunk of my books (except for a few reference ones), but due to some extra wood and free time, I thought about doing a little free library on my corner. Since I live in the ghetto, there isn't one near me, and it might even help with our stray kid problem. Give them a book, and they might read it as opposed to random acts of vandalism.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1159 on: February 28, 2015, 02:07:17 PM »
Old copies of CDs - looking for suggestions.

Back when I was working I had copies of my music CDs at the office, so now I have a big set of duplicates.  So far my only idea is to glue them to clothespins, to keep the birds from landing on the clothesline (occasionally I have had to re-wash things thanks to them, not fun when they have been eating purple berries).

Any other ideas for recycling CDs?  Or do I just pop them in the recycling (or the trash)?

Note - I just read Marie Kondo's book  The Life-changing Magic of Tidying up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing, and am trying to declutter by category more than by room. Right now I am doing clothes, then it will be the CDs.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1160 on: February 28, 2015, 04:59:30 PM »
I got rid of a good chunk of my books (except for a few reference ones), but due to some extra wood and free time, I thought about doing a little free library on my corner. Since I live in the ghetto, there isn't one near me, and it might even help with our stray kid problem. Give them a book, and they might read it as opposed to random acts of vandalism.

Yes! This is a great idea. I live in the ghetto too. At my complex, we all put out all our donations for each other. And before the end of the day, its all been grabbed, every time.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #1161 on: March 01, 2015, 06:07:02 AM »

Yes! This is a great idea. I live in the ghetto too. At my complex, we all put out all our donations for each other. And before the end of the day, its all been grabbed, every time.

This is such a great way of sharing and getting rid of stuff.  Sort of like a swap.  People can get what they possibly need and nothing goes into the landfills.  I either take things to Goodwill, library or put it out on the curb.  It is 100% always picked up by someone. 

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #1162 on: March 01, 2015, 06:31:54 AM »
Just had one of the cycling jersey I was selling picked up: € 25 cash in hand!

A few weeks ago I posted some books on my own fb to give away. Some of them I gave to friends (in exchange for beer or dinners ;) ), but the ones no one was interested in I just put on a local giveaway fb page: within seconds someone sent me a message and within minutes he picked them up, in exchange for a nice bottle of prosecco and a specialty beer.

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #1163 on: March 01, 2015, 08:15:24 AM »
More decluttering: had 2 gift vouchers I got years ago. (mijnpluim.nl)

There was really nothing useful in the list of things I could trade them in for, (I could use things like wine or olive oil but one € 15 gift card for 1 bottle of wine or 2 tiny bottles of olive oil is quite ridiculous) so I chose the option to donate them to charities. One for WWF, one for Unicef.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 08:19:14 AM by DagobertDuck »

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #1164 on: March 01, 2015, 05:39:18 PM »
One sweater out the door, one dress dropped off to a friend who is thrilled.  Yes!

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1165 on: March 01, 2015, 06:28:34 PM »
One sweater out the door, one dress dropped off to a friend who is thrilled.  Yes!

Yay! That is one of my favorite things about decluttering and giving away items or selling them: when the recipient is thrilled!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 06:30:12 PM by Practical Magic »

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1166 on: March 01, 2015, 06:29:38 PM »
Attacked the kitchen again this evening, in an angry therapeutic sort of way. So much junk. Anyone want a fondue set? What the hell was I thinking?

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1167 on: March 01, 2015, 09:33:55 PM »
Another sweater and pair of pants for my neighbors. Feels good to recognize now that there are items I have been holding onto that I don't really like. I am becoming much more discerning.

SilveradoBojangles

• Bristles
« Reply #1168 on: March 01, 2015, 09:45:52 PM »
I'm new, so maybe this has been said, but I have a de-cluttering strategy to share. My husband has trouble parting with things. So I created a box that serves as a staging area. If we aren't sure if we should keep something we put it in the box. If we end up needing it, it can be retrieved from the box. The box gets looked at once a year or so, and all things that have been in the box since the last clean out that haven't been needed get tossed/sold/donated. This two step process is easier, because usually once things are in the box we've completely forgotten they exist, indicating we probably don't really need them.

LadyDriver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1169 on: March 02, 2015, 05:45:32 AM »
I'm new, so maybe this has been said, but I have a de-cluttering strategy to share. My husband has trouble parting with things. So I created a box that serves as a staging area. If we aren't sure if we should keep something we put it in the box. If we end up needing it, it can be retrieved from the box. The box gets looked at once a year or so, and all things that have been in the box since the last clean out that haven't been needed get tossed/sold/donated. This two step process is easier, because usually once things are in the box we've completely forgotten they exist, indicating we probably don't really need them.

I am trying this with DH's clothes. He has been the same size for the entire time I've known him, but still buys new clothes periodically. The problem is he won't get rid of anything unless it is worn out. Even if I have never seen him wear it. In 14 years. So, I packed everything that he doesn't wear in plastic totes. If he wants it, he can get it out. If he doesn't wear it by 2016, it is gone.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1170 on: March 02, 2015, 09:26:52 AM »
Posting as a reminder to myself to stop hanging onto so much! Just because it's wearable doesn't mean I'm actually wearing it. I need to get more stuff out of the house (it helps that I'm feeling a little stretched and making a little money from clothes I don't need yet am inexplicably hanging onto). I feel like I need to accept that just because I am used to having clothes on hand to wear, when I then don't wear them, they should go.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1171 on: March 03, 2015, 12:24:20 AM »
Saw some things that my husband had cleaned out of our kids cupboards in the trash. This included a set of rubber stamps that I had used when they were really little and I pulled out 3 to keep for memories. But then I thought of this thread and .... I let them go!

Thanks for the ongoing encouragement, everyone. Its a slow and steady battle.

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #1172 on: March 03, 2015, 02:51:12 AM »
Kitchen stuff (pan with crappy teflon layer) gone, more clothing (3 shirts and a pair of sandals) to goodwill, cycling shoes sold, coffe mug (with my first name on it) given away, 2 more books given away! Yeah baby!

Wondering if I should sell/give away my digital camera too. (€70 5 years ago, simple 8Mpix Olympus consumer camera)
I haven't used it since I got my current phone, just because I always carry my phone AND the pictures I take with my phone upload to Dropbox automatically.
Image quality IS better than my smartphone cam, but I'm not a photography geek at all, I just take snapshots.
Won't get much (if any) money for it, but chances I will ever use it will only decrease as my next smartphone will surely have a better camera than my current one.

Maybe I should prioritize decluttering my bicycles and bike parts first. Those are a LOT harder to part with, but they take a lot more space.

And, as I said before, I should help my parents declutter their home. It's been 7 years since I left my parents' house, but there's still a lot of my stuff left in my old bedroom, the shed and the attick. Anything I haven't used/missed in those 7 years should go. And that's a LOT.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 03:09:19 AM by DagobertDuck »

Quinn

« Reply #1173 on: March 03, 2015, 05:35:07 AM »
Saw some things that my husband had cleaned out of our kids cupboards in the trash. This included a set of rubber stamps that I had used when they were really little and I pulled out 3 to keep for memories. But then I thought of this thread and .... I let them go!

I had a hard time with mementos too. For most of them I took photos and organized them into a folder in my computer so I can look at them if I ever feel like taking a trip down memory lane. Since everything is digital and labeled in a folder, it kind of works out better too (more space efficient, less likely to lose it somewhere). There are still a few mementos that I can't part with, but having them physically makes me so much happier that I don't consider them as clutter.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1174 on: March 03, 2015, 10:14:36 AM »
Today I will visit with my mom & help her do ALOT more decluttering. Last time we did clothes,purses,etc. This time we will do books.

LadyDriver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1175 on: March 03, 2015, 10:52:08 AM »
Today I will visit with my mom & help her do ALOT more decluttering. Last time we did clothes,purses,etc. This time we will do books.

I did this a few years ago with my mom. She wasn't really ready to get rid of much yet. She and my dad are now officially downsizing so I think she is ready to have another go. Now I will have to worry about fending off hand-me-downs.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1176 on: March 03, 2015, 02:47:04 PM »
I had some "found time" today due to a meeting getting canceled at the last minute, so spent about two hours going through everything in my cubicle.  I've been here >5 years and finally got rid of a bunch of stuff from the previous occupant, plus a bunch of hard copy stuff from past years. Filled a huge shredding bin about halfway.  Ahhh, drawer space and cleared off desks.  Now I want to go home and clean my own house too.

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #1177 on: March 03, 2015, 05:52:39 PM »
Since I moved to a slightly smaller apartment and am now on an upper floor, I'm finding I don't buy nearly as many heavy groceries or other Stuff that isn't so necessary. 

I tried to order a better/heavier winter coat online from Lands End and it was backordered/unavailable last week.  This week I tried ordering a different coat from another online retailer--also sold out.  I think these are signs! 

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1178 on: March 03, 2015, 10:02:17 PM »

I had a hard time with mementos too. For most of them I took photos and organized them into a folder in my computer so I can look at them if I ever feel like taking a trip down memory lane. Since everything is digital and labeled in a folder, it kind of works out better too (more space efficient, less likely to lose it somewhere). There are still a few mementos that I can't part with, but having them physically makes me so much happier that I don't consider them as clutter.

I do something similar...I take photos of nostalgic items and add them to a Facebook album entitled Old Stuff, which is set for only me to see. I find that I'm actually able to enjoy the things more this way. I feel good knowing I'm honoring their memory, and I can view the album at any time.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1179 on: March 05, 2015, 05:55:00 AM »
Hi everyone,

Loving this thread! It caught my eye as I have been on a mission to get rid of stuff this year, and I ended up reading it end to end. Lots of motivation and useful tips, thank you.

I read online somewhere about a challenge to get rid of 2015 in 2015. I'm up to over 400 already, and the crazy thing is, I haven't missed any of it! My husband thought I was nuts, but watched on, and the strange thing is... after years of asking him to clear out drawers full of old useless crap, since watching me clear things, he has started doing it.

I really agree with someone upthread that if you mention the stuff, they become very attached, and it can feel like an attack. But just watching me do it seems to have motivated him, amazing!

I'm a, 'But what if I need it!' keeper of things. I've realised that a lot of the stuff I was keeping was easy to come by (eg, cardboard. Um, I can go in the kitchen and get some anytime I need it, there is no reason to keep an entire magazine holder filled with random sheets of it). I am allowing myself to keep things that cannot easily be replaced though, because we do fix up a lot of stuff around the house, and when you need something, you really need it.

So instead of whether I want to keep something, I ask myself, if I needed this, would I be able to procure it (from a shop, or online)? If the answer is yes, I let the shop store it for me. If I wouldn't be able to just buy it, then I can keep it.

An example, because I know this sounds vague, is that I make my own handbags. Finding something to make the base rigid is hard. The pro stuff is really expensive, for something that will never be seen. You can't use anything that will disintegrate over time or with damp (so cardboard is out). So when I was throwing away broken folders, keeping the plastic sides was allowed, because it will be absolutely perfect for that job, it is free, and I DO make bags.

Accepting that there are plenty of hobbies that I would like to do, but won't, has been freeing. I've got rid of so much jewellery making stuff. I have the time for hobbies, because I've got plenty. If I've never yet actually made any jewellery, I clearly don't want to do it that badly - it's the IDEA I like, not the actual craft.

I've also been using up toiletries I don't like and not buying any more. Most things I can do without, I just (again) like the idea of being the kind of person to use cleanser, when, in fact, I always reach for a face wipe (it's the perfectionist in me. I feel guilty using face-wipes because they are disposable and wasteful, but, you know what? It's more wasteful to buy products to replace them that I won't use!).

Keep the tips coming!

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #1180 on: March 05, 2015, 06:59:34 AM »
I am re-inspired by you all once again, I love reading the stories on this thread.

Another storage area got whacked this week, the results are amazing.  I had help with this one and wow, the floor is visible for the first time in years!  We tossed loads of stuff and gave to charity which felt great.  I can now get into the room... and can reach things, a new concept.

Also, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, there are very few spaces left that have not been dealt with.  The feeling is one of such lightness and joy. 

Some of the accompanying things that are coming up are:
* Finding out what things are broken and fixing them ( furniture, jewellery, clothing, cushions)
* Putting together a list of what needs a coat of paint which sounds fun
* Figuring out new storage methods
* Making a list of supplies that need to be used up whether paper, notecards, food, cloth, wood or crafting stuff
* Making a list to have in a prominent place of cool things we already own which we could be enjoying instead of buying new things and experiences (music, movies, board games, crafting tools, popcorn, books with pictures of beautiful architecture and interiors, unread novels)

This experience is definitely an enriching one.  Yup, getting rid of things is enriching, whaddaya know?

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #1181 on: March 05, 2015, 07:36:33 AM »
One thing that has been coming up a lot is noticing the money that we have spent on the things that we no longer use and how little use some of the things got.  It is a real message for me.  Things are exhausting: they get in my way so I cannot access the things I do use, their resale value deteriorates quickly in most instances and they remind me of the money that could have been saved but was wasted.

Broken things hang over me weighing me down even when out of sight.  The not-yet-done chores of repairing or painting or darning that we have allowed to build up over years are psychologically heavy.

De-cluttering is so much more than getting rid of things, it is taking me by the hand and leading me to a new way of living in the now which I am so excited to experience.  It is teaching me the value of doing things when they come up instead of putting them off.  I think that by the summer all repairs to objects, painting of furniture, darning of cloth bags and upholstery will be up to date and I can only imagine the feeling of lightness that will suffuse my being. 

No more:
* broken things stored out of sight. I will deal with them immediately by fixing them or letting them go.
* taking on other peoples' broken things
* storing things for friends who are downsizing
* stuffing ripped clothing or bags or cushions away out of sight and out of mind.
* buying several things at yard sales that are a bit tatty but a good price- instead I will buy things in good condition if at all
* keeping things that are completely unsalvageable, due to sentimental reasons

Quite frankly I cannot imagine how life will feel without all of this pressure on me.  I do know it will be freeing.

SailorGirl

• Stubble
« Reply #1182 on: March 05, 2015, 08:14:42 AM »
I am so in on this! I need to clear all the crap out of my house so we can get it ready to sell.  Whoever mentioned the "sunk money" aspect of it above someone voiced exactly what I needed to hear.  Instead of focusing on trying to sell stuff, I'll put it on our local online yard sale for a week and then haul it to Goodwill. The pic I use for the yard sale will serve me as record of the donation.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1183 on: March 05, 2015, 10:32:15 AM »
I've also been using up toiletries I don't like and not buying any more.

Me too! I just today finished up my second container of face cream since a move in August! I have so many moisturizers sitting around, and it's a goal of mine to start using them more regularly (especially since it's dry in winter), so I'm very proud of this small incremental thing. I have a whole little basket of extra moisturizer on top of my dresser that I've had for years without *using* it. Senseless to throw it out as it's contained space wise, but senseless to not use it up either. So now I'm slowly making my way through. Once it's all gone (so in...oh, four years), I'll buy a good daily SPF lotion and be done with it.

LadyDriver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1184 on: March 05, 2015, 10:44:02 AM »

Accepting that there are plenty of hobbies that I would like to do, but won't, has been freeing. I've got rid of so much jewellery making stuff. I have the time for hobbies, because I've got plenty. If I've never yet actually made any jewellery, I clearly don't want to do it that badly - it's the IDEA I like, not the actual craft.

Ooh, this is me. After years of practice, I've got it pretty under control. I keep the tools and let the raw materials go because the fabric/beads/yarn/etc are always available for a casual crafter who isn't too picky.

The elephant in my crafting room is my sewing machine.

Pros: indestructible (1960's Singer featherweight)
        Sentimental. It was my mom's first sewing machine and the machine on which I learned to sew.
        Portable. It fits neatly into a box about 10" x 12" x 18"

Cons: can't do much of anything. It basically goes forward and backward. It won't even zigzag and I sew my button holes by hand because I've never found a buttonholer that fits.

I could buy a new machine that does more stuff, but that means I either have a giant sewing machine-shaped bookend or I get rid of one of the few things that truly has sentimental meaning for me.

I would like to sew more. My sewing machine is one of my excuses for not sewing. Being gone from home 3 out of every 4 weeks is another.

I suppose that I will keep things as they are until my schedule changes. If I sew more when I am working less I will revisit replacing my sewing machine.

jordanread

« Reply #1185 on: March 05, 2015, 12:44:03 PM »
So I obviously didn't hit my goal of getting rid of my storage unit. That being said, I did just get the (i know, i know) 3rd vehicle prepped and ready for sale. The space that thing takes up is going to replace my $200/month storage unit. Once that happens, I will sell pretty much everything.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1186 on: March 06, 2015, 03:57:08 PM »
I've also been using up toiletries I don't like and not buying any more.

Me too! I just today finished up my second container of face cream since a move in August! I have so many moisturizers sitting around, and it's a goal of mine to start using them more regularly (especially since it's dry in winter), so I'm very proud of this small incremental thing. I have a whole little basket of extra moisturizer on top of my dresser that I've had for years without *using* it. Senseless to throw it out as it's contained space wise, but senseless to not use it up either. So now I'm slowly making my way through. Once it's all gone (so in...oh, four years), I'll buy a good daily SPF lotion and be done with it.
Ditto. I've been "using up" for 2 years now. Who'd have thought I had that much stuff to use?  My bathroom cabinet is much clearer now, just a few key products, some with duplicates bought on sale. But I'm starting to get to the bottom of it and will replace with simple natural products without chemicals wherever possible.  I tossed some products I was keeping just in case, but I never use those particular items so out they went.

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #1187 on: March 07, 2015, 02:05:55 PM »
Wondering if I should sell/give away my digital camera too. (€70 5 years ago, simple 8Mpix Olympus consumer camera)

Gave it away.
Before I formatted the memory card, I found out the camera hadn't been used even ONCE since since I got my current smartphone in 2012.

Gave / threw away some other stuff, too, so I was able to get rid of one more cardboard storage box in my room.

The drawers under my desk are getting noticeably emptier, too!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 02:20:25 PM by DagobertDuck »

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1188 on: March 07, 2015, 03:09:43 PM »
I've made progress in the study. Its so messy I can hardly tell the difference, but I'm making progress. A box of paper off the floor and combined with another on the shelf - another bit of free floor space :). A little pile of stuff sorted to take into work.  A shelf cleared off the bookcase, now with some nicely arranged books.   2 ugly knick-knacks I hated, out!  And I've figured out a new system for papers which will reduce the piles decorating my desk chaotically….Just need to clear 1 more smallish draw of old papers and I can enact this.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #1189 on: March 07, 2015, 03:30:10 PM »
Today we're going to take the following to the recycling shed at the local rubbish tip:
- as new cat scratching post (little buggers ignored it completely)
- bag of clothes (mix of mine and DH's)
- crappy clothes drying rack (it's not sturdy and is super annoying to use)
- plastic box for under the bed
- garden tools that aren't fit for purpose

I've made progress in the study. Its so messy I can hardly tell the difference, but I'm making progress. A box of paper off the floor and combined with another on the shelf - another bit of free floor space :). A little pile of stuff sorted to take into work.  A shelf cleared off the bookcase, now with some nicely arranged books.   2 ugly knick-knacks I hated, out!  And I've figured out a new system for papers which will reduce the piles decorating my desk chaotically….Just need to clear 1 more smallish draw of old papers and I can enact this.

Wow! Way to go, happy! That's awesome.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #1190 on: March 09, 2015, 08:17:20 PM »
Today: excess first aid supplies to an addict's support charity plus a sheet and a mattress cover.

Yesterday: 2 bags of trash to the dumpster from my mother's house.  There seems to be a theme of helping parents divest this week.  I also took on 4 small things from her house which may or may not stay.  Now to get the other things from her house to the thrift store.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1191 on: March 09, 2015, 10:17:49 PM »
So I helped mom go through her books lastweek and she got rid of about 50% (that's 8 bags!) which is great  progress for her. She has TONS of everything, so we're going through a different category if stuff each time. Before, it was clothes.

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #1192 on: March 10, 2015, 06:18:28 AM »
There seems to be a theme of helping parents divest this week.

+1
I'm visiting my parents (who live 1.5 hrs away) this weekend, and I'm definitely going to do some decluttering there, as I did some weeks ago. I actually aim to do more.

LadyDriver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1193 on: March 10, 2015, 06:43:27 AM »
The Onion, relevant as ever: http://www.theonion.com/articles/jumbled-nest-of-cords-makes-move-to-third-new-apar,38171/

I do have one of those nests, although I've gotten rid of all the chargers that fit things I no longer own.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1194 on: March 10, 2015, 02:05:40 PM »
Cleaned up all my digital mail - went through years of mail and deleted most of them. So easy to use my mailbox again.

Also shipped off books for amazon trade in and am meeting a buyer tomorrow for the rest of the books. Planning to donate all novels to library since there were no takers :( note to self: don't buy novels as new - doesn't hold value.
Also gave away our infant swing to a friend. So good to get back space!

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #1195 on: March 10, 2015, 03:03:24 PM »
Another box full of stuff gone (to someone who was collecting stuff for a flea market), yeah!

And remembering again WHY I'm doing this:
Less stuff = no need for big house and a car* = lower expenses = freedom to work part time and enjoy life NOW**

*I found out I'd rather live in a tiny apartment in an area I truly love than in a bigger one in an area I don't like.
*small house in cool area = easier to live car-free. It's been 7 weeks since I sold my car and I haven't missed it for one second.

**applied for a part time side job as a bike messenger! Secretly I'm totally stoked about this. Minimum wages but it is something I would love to do. If I had a fancy house and high mortgage I could never do something like this.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1196 on: March 11, 2015, 01:09:31 AM »
[quote author=DagobertDuck

And remembering again WHY I'm doing this:
Less stuff = no need for big house and a car* = lower expenses = freedom to work part time and enjoy life NOW**

*I found out I'd rather live in a tiny apartment in an area I truly love than in a bigger one in an area I don't like.
*small house in cool area = easier to live car-free. It's been 7 weeks since I sold my car and I haven't missed it for one second.

**applied for a part time side job as a bike messenger! Secretly I'm totally stoked about this. Minimum wages but it is something I would love to do. If I had a fancy house and high mortgage I could never do something like this.
[/quote]

Yes! My thoughts exactly. Less stuff, less rent to pay,more money making me money.
Also, that's great that you'll be doing something fun for part-time work:) . I've been getting more into that type lately as well- in addition to my regular work, I've been showing art for a couple years again- fun & extra money :) . plus I don't purchase any of the materials, its all recycled .  very mustachian ;)

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #1197 on: March 11, 2015, 04:16:10 AM »
OK, I'm pretty good at finding new homes for clothes and general household stuff, but I'm stuck on jars of 5 and 10c coins. Help!

Long story short, when we got DH's stuff out of storage last year, there were 3 or 4 jars of coins, ie loose change. We've picked out all the high value coins and spent them, but now we're down to 5 and 10c coins - 3 jars worth. We can't use them up on parking, cos the meters are all restricted to a maximum number of coins (although we could probably get through a few 10c coings) plus they don't accept 5c coins these days. I'm guessing there's maybe $10 worth of shrapnel, give or take a bit.

What's the best way to get rid of it? I'm happy to give it away to charity. I've even considered dumping the coins on a footpath near a school for kids to find. I could possibly take it to a bank and see if they'll count it for us, but neither of us have done it in 6 months, so unlikely to happen any time soon - we just never go to a bank, and dunno which ones will accept piles of coins from non-business customers. (I've read that the US has Coinstar which would be awesome, but I don't think such a thing exists here)

Feels like such a stupid thing to be stuck on, but I just want them gone now.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1198 on: March 11, 2015, 06:04:04 AM »
Giggle, I just had an image of you trying to stuff hundreds of 5/10c coins into a little Salvation Army ladies box. And a surprised look on her face when it was too heavy to hold…..

Seriously though, why not give them to a charity collector ( of course there won't be any now you're looking), or take them into Vinnies or something?

LadyDriver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1199 on: March 11, 2015, 07:00:08 AM »
OK, I'm pretty good at finding new homes for clothes and general household stuff, but I'm stuck on jars of 5 and 10c coins. Help!

Any collectible coins in there? In the US, 10c coins used to be made of silver and you occasionally still find them in circulation. Maybe there are coins that are worth more than their face value in your jars.

If the idea of looking through coins makes you want to huddle in the corner and rock, then I second donation.