Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1850119 times)

onemorebike

• Bristles
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #1100 on: February 16, 2015, 12:59:56 PM »
onemorebike,

We've sold 3,000 dollars worth of random furniture, bike stuff, electronics, etc. in the past month

That is inspiring.  Not only have you decluttered but you have had the energy to deal with putting all that stuff on sale and dealing with the buyers…Congratulations!!!!
Wintersun, cl can be a hassle, but also can be real easy. I installed the cl app on my phone so when I walked by something and thought "we should get rid of that" I just pulled out my phone took a pic and quickly listed it.

onemorebike

• Bristles
« Reply #1101 on: February 16, 2015, 01:00:12 PM »
onemorebike,

We've sold 3,000 dollars worth of random furniture, bike stuff, electronics, etc. in the past month

That is inspiring.  Not only have you decluttered but you have had the energy to deal with putting all that stuff on sale and dealing with the buyers…Congratulations!!!!
Wintersun, cl can be a hassle, but also can be real easy. I installed the cl app on my phone so when I walked by something and thought "we should get rid of that" I just pulled out my phone took a pic and quickly listed it.

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #1102 on: February 16, 2015, 01:12:07 PM »
Lol, this is funny:
Just recieved an email from IKEA with 'Your clothes don't fit in your cupboard anymore?' (and then inviting me to buy more not-so-cheap cheap furniture of course)
No thanks IKEA, I know a much better way!

1 shirt to charity, 3 books sold on marktplaats and got rid of some paperwork today.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 04:03:13 PM by DagobertDuck »

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1103 on: February 16, 2015, 03:39:54 PM »
onemorebike,

I'm enjoying selling things online too. I hadn't done it before. I may be addicted now. Decluttering and extra income at the same time! I don't have nearly enough quality things to sell to make 3000 dollars, but I'm thrilled with 200 so far this month with minimal effort.

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1104 on: February 16, 2015, 06:39:13 PM »
Sold 1 "sortof" antique dining table and a true antique church pew I inherited from family.   Craigslist and patience equals $395 in my pocket.   Have maybe another $600 in other pieces to sell...   All funds go to paying down mortgage to pay me interest every year the rest of my life.

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #1105 on: February 17, 2015, 04:07:38 AM »
Today I brought 2 bags of stuff to the trift shop. Glad I am really rid of that stuff now, instead of leaving it in the shed.

Also I have inspired my mother and sister. Both are now trying to get rid of some stuff!

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #1106 on: February 17, 2015, 10:11:44 AM »
Selling some craft stuff I'm not ever going to use for $45. The important thing is to get it out of the house....I'm not really making money. I mean, I bought the stuff for $75 and am selling for $45. $30 of my cash (= life energy) down the tubes, but at least it won't be taking up physical and emotional space any more.

You all are an inspiration to me!

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #1107 on: February 17, 2015, 10:29:07 AM »
Stuff you don't use = sunk costs anyway.
Don't let the sunk cost fallacy keep you from getting rid of stuff that clutters your life.

I bought the stuff for $75 and am selling for $45.
Recovering 60% of the purchase price for obsolete stuff is actually really good imo.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1108 on: February 17, 2015, 12:44:05 PM »
Stuff you don't use = sunk costs anyway.
Don't let the sunk cost fallacy keep you from getting rid of stuff that clutters your life.

I bought the stuff for $75 and am selling for $45.
Recovering 60% of the purchase price for obsolete stuff is actually really good imo.

I was going to say this too.  If you really want it gone, definitely sell it for under 50% and closer to 30%.  (Particularly as cost conscious people who do crafts like myself, would only buy from the craft stores with a 50% off coupon anyways!)

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1109 on: February 17, 2015, 01:10:07 PM »
Went through a box of candles.  Discovered a candle that was almost gone, so I'm working on burning it done now.  Some candle holders to the donation bin as well.  I'll also be giving my mom some wax scraps for making candles when I see her tonight.

I've been trying to avoid buying new candles for a few years now so I can work down my pile, but have had more given to me by people culling their collections or given as a Christmas gift.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1110 on: February 18, 2015, 09:38:55 AM »
I have a large box of books (fiction) that I bought a few months back hoping to read while my baby slept. However, now I'm back to work and hardly have time to read anything. I dont think I'll be able to read those books for atleast a year more. Wondering if I should resell them or keep them around? At one point I want to keep them so I can read them. At another, watching them on the book shelf reminds me of yet another thing to do and stresses me out :(

To add, we are moving in a few months and I'm trying to reduce clutter at home before the move.

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #1111 on: February 18, 2015, 10:07:40 AM »
I would try to sell it. And with the "profit": maybe a library card? :) Since I became a mother I didn't have much time to read either, so I'm always glad I didn't have to buy the books I don't read ;) (Library is also a great trip with a toddler)

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #1112 on: February 18, 2015, 10:54:43 AM »
Lesson for the future: never buy a new book before you've finished the previous one.

I'm in the process of getting rid of a lot of books, too. Easier than I thought. Keep the few that changed my life, ditch the rest.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1113 on: February 18, 2015, 11:47:15 AM »
I helped my mom thin out her clothes/hats/purses/shoes yesterday. She has a lot of everything!! Im so proud of her. She got rid of about 50%! Many many donations that I dumped for her. Also many bags to potentially sell on consignment stores near by ( she has mostly really nice stuff). Next time we'll tackle books.

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #1114 on: February 18, 2015, 03:54:53 PM »
Gained 12 square feet of floor space and $100 by selling a piece of exercise equipment that was not being used. Turns out I like body-weight exercising at home it's more quiet and there is nothing to dust!

jordanread

« Reply #1115 on: February 18, 2015, 07:00:25 PM »
Gained 12 square feet of floor space and $100 by selling a piece of exercise equipment that was not being used. Turns out I like body-weight exercising at home it's more quiet and there is nothing to dust!

Score one for body weight training!! Congrats!

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #1116 on: February 20, 2015, 12:09:51 AM »
This week during decluttering I was wondering about one item in my closet: my weddingdress. I will never wear it again and it's a big impediment, so I am thinking about selling it. But on the other hand it has emotional value. I'm not sure about it, it's difficult. What would you do? I have many pictures of me in the dress and I won't wear it again with my after-pregnancy body that is very different then than when we got married......
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 12:52:05 AM by kander »

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #1117 on: February 20, 2015, 04:47:54 AM »
This week during decluttering I was wondering about one item in my closet: my weddingdress. I will never wear it again and it's a big impediment, so I am thinking about selling it. But on the other hand it has emotional value. I'm not sure about it, it's difficult. What would you do? I have many pictures of me in the dress and I won't wear it again with my after-pregnancy body that is very different then than when we got married......

I was pretty unsentimental with my wedding dress and donated it last year, 2 1/2 years after we got married. My dress wasn't a traditional one and I'd only spent a few hundred dollars on it. And it had a small stain and I was never going to wear it again, so why keep it?

That said, I'm probably more ambivalent about my wedding day than most. Don't get me wrong - I'm super happy I married DH and have no regrets there. But ... I was deathly ill (in hindsight) around that time and had 9 days in hospital when we got back from our honeymoon. That's the super short version. The only momento I need from our wedding day is a handful of photos. 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1118 on: February 20, 2015, 10:00:12 AM »

I donated mine to an organization that gives proms and wedding dresses to people who can't afford them.  My Mom's friend was closely tied to the organization, so she was able to tell me about the person who got my dress.  I could not be happier with my decision.  I did this a few months after the wedding.

I sometimes wonder if I should have kept it, or had it made into throw pillows, or a christening gown (except 10 years later we still don't have kids) but knowing how happy it made someone else, I do not regret my decision at all.

And I LOVED my wedding dress. It was the most beautiful dress I've ever seen, it was not inexpensive either- other than the husband part, it was the #1 favorite thing about my wedding. So I was pretty attached to the idea of it, but there was no need for me to keep it. I'd much rather someone else enjoy it as much as I did.

It's a pretty personal decision though.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1119 on: February 20, 2015, 10:12:42 AM »
Mine was a very beautiful beautiful dress . & I donated it a couple years after the divorce. I had thought about using it in my sewing projects, but finally decided it made more sense to donate for someone who needed an inexpensive wedding dress. Obviously, the divorce makes my story a bit different. I could see why a person would want to keep the dress also, but really only for (possibly tailored) use at a future renewal of vows, or as I had planned, a project. Of course, any decision is valid. If not sure, maybe makes more sense to hold onto it.

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #1120 on: February 20, 2015, 10:42:17 AM »
mine was recycled for the day from my godmother, and after the day I gave it back to her....did not cross my ming to hang on to it

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1121 on: February 20, 2015, 10:57:52 AM »
I still have mine, 25 years later.  Typical <eye roll>

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1122 on: February 20, 2015, 02:45:15 PM »
My mother still has mine nearly 25 years later. Typical <eye roll>.   I'm not sure what the issue is, I think she thinks I won't look after it….

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1123 on: February 20, 2015, 03:05:19 PM »
I think she thinks I won't look after it….

:-)

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #1124 on: February 20, 2015, 04:37:52 PM »
My wedding dress was not traditional, and I still wear it from time to time.  So, I'll be keeping that!

LadyDriver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1125 on: February 20, 2015, 05:32:44 PM »
My wedding dress was not traditional, and I still wear it from time to time.  So, I'll be keeping that!

+1

Me too. Vaguely wedding-ish but still wearable for many other occasions.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #1126 on: February 20, 2015, 07:59:47 PM »
I threw out 3 old bras today. They weren't on high rotation but I still occasionally wore them. I was about to put one on today and realised the elastic was all hard and yukky, and there were slight stains on all of them, presumably from something perishing. So, into the bin they went. Normally I'd donate old clothes, but these weren't wearable.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1127 on: February 21, 2015, 07:43:22 PM »
Donated a box of books and three boxes of clothes today.  I think I'm pretty close to where I want to be with both categories.

But now I'm thinking I should dump my wedding dress.  It's non-traditional, and 3 sizes too big for me now, so not like I'm going to be wearing it again.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #1128 on: February 22, 2015, 06:07:49 PM »
Astartine,
I dumped two bras today as well, for similar reasons. 

I hadn't thought about donating my wedding dress, what a great idea.  Or do I want to use the silk fabric to line lamp shades???? Hmmm.

I am keeping a list of things that enter our house that are either not consumable or will not be consumed soon.  I feel some delight in seeing how short it is.

I am making a list of things to use up that I am not willing to donate: food, supplements, fabric, craft supplies, etc.  I think I might benefit from setting goals in that area too.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1129 on: February 22, 2015, 08:26:35 PM »
Donated some random items yesterday - a brita water filter, a pair of shoes, a belt (need to go through all of them), a cookie cooling rack that takes up way too much storage space...

Finished up a candle today.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1130 on: February 23, 2015, 01:18:58 AM »
2 old, yucky mattresses and 2 broken box springs are out on the curb for a special pickup by our trash pickup company. Each household is allowed to request this free service for up to 4 items per year. So happy to see them go!! Would have been $20 per item if we took them to the city dump ... crazy!

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #1131 on: February 23, 2015, 05:18:57 AM »
More and more stuff gone. Excess towels, clothing, books sold, bike parts sold.
Books and DVD's traded for good local beers.

Can't say I've missed any of the stuff I got rid of yet. Even funnier: I don't even remember every item.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 05:28:25 AM by DagobertDuck »

aj_yooper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1132 on: February 23, 2015, 05:48:20 AM »

Books and DVD's traded for good local beers.

+1 on the trades.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1133 on: February 23, 2015, 06:34:15 AM »
When looking for last year's tax paperwork to check a number, we found a bag's worth of paper that we did not need to hang onto, so that went to the recycling.

Also tossed an old sound card and a pile of floppy disks.  Possibly we could have ebayed the floppy disks, but I'm not sure it would be worth the effort.

jordanread

« Reply #1134 on: February 23, 2015, 07:24:00 AM »
Does it count that I have shredded loads of old documents recently?

Hell yes it does!!

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1135 on: February 23, 2015, 08:34:50 PM »
Cleared out a four-drawer filing cabinet and consolidated down to one large and one small bin, between shredding, recycling and taking a few professional files to the office.

Although...I'm proud that I don't actually have a lot to weed out this time. The last two moves, I spent an enormous amount of time just getting rid of stuff. I have done a couple of small Goodwill trips over the last four years, did one for the move and one more to go. That should be it...

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #1136 on: February 24, 2015, 02:37:02 AM »
Cleared out that drawer with orphan socks.

10 minutes of work, and one more drawer that can actually be used instead of just being there filled with clutter.

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #1137 on: February 24, 2015, 02:59:09 AM »
Throwing them all out and getting 30 pairs of identical black socks for the cheap.
I like my diamond pattern / Kermit / Homer Simpson / Mickey Mouse / Garfield socks.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1138 on: February 24, 2015, 04:17:36 PM »
Giving away our swing and bassinet to a friend for her baby. Those items get used more and we get back space. Win-win!

Now I just need to find a time for actually getting them out the door.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #1139 on: February 24, 2015, 05:27:31 PM »
So much success here!  Shredding paper is a huge success FliXfantatier, you are inspiring.

In the last few days, with help from a friend, I took three car loads of stuff out of here.  Two loads to charity and one to the dump.  What a luscious feeling.  It is better than getting a massage and cheaper too.  I am loving the clean tidy feeling that is left behind, in fact I am floating on it.

Cutenila, not getting things out the door can be maddening.  I am once again driving a car with several items in it which I also drove around two months ago but did not deliver.  This time I will get them to their owners.  Not borrowing anymore is part of my new creed, because dropping things off is complicated at times.

KD

• Stubble
  • "Waste is a resource out of place."-Coors Mfg.
« Reply #1140 on: February 25, 2015, 07:17:18 AM »
Another load to the mission yesterday and another load home from the son's dumpster dive of perfectly usable clothing.  fOUR washer loads full.  Now washed and waiting to go donate next week.  The dumpster also included a bag of books and 2 working space heaters.  SIGH. 

Our own from the house was son had 3 old cell phones that wouldn't sell on Craigslist or garage sale.  I had a decorative jar, a candle holder, a wall decor item, 2 lamps that no longer worked w/o a possible repair (mission has a handy man) and an old plaque.  GONE.

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #1141 on: February 25, 2015, 10:24:33 AM »
Didn't declutter anything today BUT yesterday I saw someone on a local giveaway fb group posting that she's looking for stuff for a flea market, so I have been thinking about which stuff to give to her.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #1142 on: February 25, 2015, 12:00:09 PM »
Accidentally got rid of my rice cooker a couple days ago. By "accidentally" I mean I plugged it in and smoke and fire happened. Fortunately, I have a big pot and a little pot with lids, and those seem to be working well. It's nice having the counter space back as well.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1143 on: February 25, 2015, 12:40:52 PM »
Zikoris, your post reminded me to claim counter space in my kitchen. I have the essentials that I use almost every day on the counter (toaster, food processor) but I also have a ton of baby bottle parts. We need it easily accessible and easily dryable but it is an eye sore on an otherwise clean counter. Any ideas as to how to store it?

cross3700

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1144 on: February 25, 2015, 12:55:08 PM »
I've been selling a lot of books we'll never read again on Ebay.  I'm surprised at how much we've been able to sell.  We're not getting much for them, but we're getting them out of the house and putting a few bucks in our pocket so all is good.

sandandsun

• Stubble
« Reply #1145 on: February 25, 2015, 12:58:43 PM »
Zikoris, your post reminded me to claim counter space in my kitchen. I have the essentials that I use almost every day on the counter (toaster, food processor) but I also have a ton of baby bottle parts. We need it easily accessible and easily dryable but it is an eye sore on an otherwise clean counter. Any ideas as to how to store it?
hanging wire vegetable basket?

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #1146 on: February 26, 2015, 04:14:57 AM »
Okay, it's getting harder now.
Currently going through stuff I used to tell myself I might use in the future.

Towels, why on earth do I own so many towels? (Not THAT hard to ditch though)

More difficult: my old spare cycling (I love cycling) shoes I've kept in case my fancy Sidi's would get wet or break.
But did I actually wear them since I got the fancy Sidi's over 3 years ago? Not even once.
What do I actually do when my Sidi's get wet? I dry them.
What will I actually do when the Sidi's break? I'll order spare parts or new ones straight away, and use my mountain bike pedals and shoes in the meantime.
Sure, I liked to think it's Pro to own spare shoes, but truth is, I am not a fucking pro cyclist, but a recreational rider with a preference for fair weather.
Actually they're just cluttering my closet, as they have been doing over the last 3 years.

How clarifying it is to write things down.
I'm selling them.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 07:47:09 AM by DagobertDuck »

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #1147 on: February 26, 2015, 03:44:18 PM »
Update: put the cycling shoes, some vintage cycling jerseys and some bike parts for sale on marktplaats and facebook this afternoon, and got some serious biddings already!
Looks like the shoes will be going to a cycling mate looking for something affordable, just as I was hoping for. The vintage jerseys even seem to have some collector's value!
Totally stoked!
Some towels and garments to goodwill, too.

Also Spent some thought about WHY I'm decluttering so ferociously.
2 important things came up:
-Me being in control of my possessions, in stead of my possessions controlling me.
-Less stuff = possibility to live in a smaller home = less rent, less mortgage, less taxes, lower energy bills = more freedom to work parttime, or FIRE.

2 YT vids that inspired me to declutter:
Joshua Becker
Joshua Fields Millburn and Ryan Nicodemus

Decluttered my iPad and pc as well: deleted a number of apps, put all the Apple apps I don't use in one folder, and reduced the number of desktop icons on my pc too.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 04:54:30 PM by DagobertDuck »

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1148 on: February 26, 2015, 07:46:01 PM »
I continue to sell 1-7 items per week on eBay and am slogging through decades of paperwork. I must've scanned at least 10,000 pieces of paper by now. We have rental properties and loads of related documents and receipts, and I'm taking time to tape small receipts to a piece of paper, which I scan in a clear plastic cover. My burden gets lifted a little bit more with every scan. And soon I'll actually sell one of the rental houses, an even bigger burden lifted!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 08:39:36 PM by Practical Magic »

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #1149 on: February 26, 2015, 08:49:20 PM »
I never knew how uplifting this would be.  I did not realise how the weight of all that STUFF was pressing me down and pinning me to the ground in paralysis.  When we got home tonight I cast my eye around the dining room and felt such pleasure in seeing clear surfaces.

I have three boxes of things to go through from my big clear out the other day but a quick glance at them shows me that I can deal with it in about 10 minutes.  I was busy hurling things out but part of me sensibly grabbed things that I would be able to use- duct tape, bandaids, four or five boxes of blank cards which can have a photo glued on the front ( a donation from a pal).  Now I need to put those things where they belong and get rid of the temporary mess of three cardboard boxes.

I am very into making sure that clutter does not begin to gather once more, especially paper, that dreaded monster.  I have started to spend a few minutes in the mornings tidying and putting things back which I find very soothing.  Are you guys enjoying the fruits of your labours?  Is anyone finding the paper piles growing again?