Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1850058 times)

kander

• Bristles
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #1050 on: February 09, 2015, 12:46:21 PM »
I finished going through everything! Donated about 5 bags ( really only had about a carload to begin with) . And a couple bags of things to sell (mostly antiques). So happy about this!

Wow, great job!!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1051 on: February 10, 2015, 12:34:06 AM »
Still going strong (when will I run out of clutter?). Been through a few more cupboards, kept adding to the donate pile, and made enough space in our storage systems to organise our remaining possessions in a more meaningful and useful way.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1052 on: February 10, 2015, 01:34:21 AM »
Problem -- not enough receptacles in which to store my give-away items!

I don't like using garbage bags because once, my ever so helpful husband threw away a full bag of beautiful sweaters that were like new.

Any suggestions?

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #1053 on: February 10, 2015, 02:06:02 AM »
Maybe you can label the garbage bags your husband needs to leave alone? ;)

Today I got rid of:
- A photo-album with one photo in it! My husband bought it and I find it too ugly to keep and try to make something of it...
- A soap massage bar that clearly was overdated; yuk!
- A tube with paint that we haven't used in 3,5 years

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #1054 on: February 10, 2015, 04:26:20 AM »
I think DVD is a dying medium. Sell them while they're still worth something.

Thanks. I've put them on Marktplaats (Dutch) to sell them! Also put some DVDs of House MD on it.
I think you did the right thing. I sold / gave away almost all my DVD's too.

Did the same with my cd's some years ago. Still to do: get rid of the cassette tapes that are still stored at my parents' house.

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #1055 on: February 10, 2015, 04:46:57 AM »
I think DVD is a dying medium. Sell them while they're still worth something.

Thanks. I've put them on Marktplaats (Dutch) to sell them! Also put some DVDs of House MD on it.
I think you did the right thing. I sold / gave away almost all my DVD's too.

Did the same with my cd's some years ago. Still to do: get rid of the cassette tapes that are still stored at my parents' house.

Thanks. I hope someone will buy them soon. ;)

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #1056 on: February 10, 2015, 12:56:06 PM »
Brought five pieces of garment to goodwill, threw some away that were too worn down, threw away a defective mp3 player, gave away an old backpack to a fellow member of my sports club, gave away a pair of curtains on a local give-away-stuff group on fb, put 6 books for sale on marktplaats (Dutch Craigslist), and threw away some old magazines and misc small items.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 01:07:59 PM by DagobertDuck »

JLR

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1057 on: February 10, 2015, 07:34:54 PM »
I went through a drawer of stationery items. Got rid of a lot of sticker the kids used to have fun with when they were little, and some colouring books.

Also went through some bathroom things. Got rid of a lot of hair things I haven't used in years. Just kept the three things I currently use to do my hair each time. Must have thrown out a dozen bits and pieces I once used....

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #1058 on: February 11, 2015, 04:54:53 AM »
Sold the DVDs at a pawnshop (never been in a pawnshop before so I had the time of my life, because it made me think of that TV-show ) €21 richer (or €100 poorer, if I use the prices I've paid when I bought them)

Also got rid of:
- some old towels
- municipality booklet (a book with information about our town, I'm not sure if this is the right word but Google translate says so)
- A binder with information about our old house

KD

• Stubble
  • "Waste is a resource out of place."-Coors Mfg.
« Reply #1059 on: February 11, 2015, 05:23:27 AM »
Getting down to the nub on things I personally am ready to get rid of...have been staying decluttered for the most part since we downsized a couple of years ago and let a lot of 'crapola' go then.  After cleaning out my inlaw's home and my brother's home after they passed?  We BUMPED our donations up and our buying down so as to not have our children E.V.E.R. having to go thru so much stuff if something were to happen to us.

Yesterday's scheduled run to the mission from me personally:  Curling iron I bought w/o looking at it too closely at a yard sale for $1....for a spirally hairstyle that I don't have.  Pay attention!!!  Old pillow cover that went with a bedset from about 10 years ago.  Had been using it for the nap pillow that stays on the couch.  Ugh, over that color years back.  Didn't enjoy looking at it.  Didn't match anything else in the den.  Good-bye.

The rest of the car was FILLED w/clothes that my son had found dumpster diving that we had brought home and washed.  While we were on the way we stopped to drop off our trash at the dumpsters and he pulled OUT* a wheelchair and walker which will be wiped down and donated to a medical mission team to either use or sell to fund themselves.

*Why was this not set beside the dumpster's so someone who could use it could get to it easily?????????

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #1060 on: February 11, 2015, 07:09:34 AM »
The junkroom is getting empty :D Now let's try to keep it that way.

Sold a ice-make-machine

Got rid of:
- Calendar we found in the train (lesson: never take anything home for the reason that it's free!!)

I do rounds of 5 minutes, this works excellent with my son around :) 5 minutes decluttering, 5 minutes cuddeling and playing :)

KD

• Stubble
« Reply #1061 on: February 11, 2015, 09:29:00 AM »
Hey Kander - nice job decluttering.  Have you thought about renaming the junkroom to something else?  Perhaps that's what is causing people in your home to put 'junk' in there? 

I have to keep reminding my family that my desk is not for their junk/stuff/paperwork.  Not my monkey, not my circus!!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1062 on: February 11, 2015, 09:43:18 AM »
I've been spending a lot of time going through each room and finding stuff to throw in the donate pile or garbage or selling online. My donate pile is in the middle of the living room and the pile is so big that when people visit they ask if I'm moving.

So I spent a couple days dealing with the pile instead of adding to it. I packaged up a few things to send home with my mom next weekend, threw a couple useless things in the donate pile into the garbage, put more stuff up for sale online, and I've been pawning off books (or anything else) onto unsuspecting visitors. There are enough books that everyone finds something they want. :D

I have a much easier time giving away things to people I know than just donating it to a random organization. I don't mind donating the things I can't give to friends, I just like to give my family and friends the first chance. One step at a time? :p

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #1063 on: February 11, 2015, 10:04:45 AM »
Hey Kander - nice job decluttering.  Have you thought about renaming the junkroom to something else?  Perhaps that's what is causing people in your home to put 'junk' in there? 

I have to keep reminding my family that my desk is not for their junk/stuff/paperwork.  Not my monkey, not my circus!!

I want to use the junkroom as a "workroom". I'm a SAHM with a website that I try to write for, but sometimes it doesn't work out because of my son. So I hope to make the room as empty as possible (=child friendly), so he can play safe in his own room ánd in my room, without me watching the whole time.

That's my big goal for now :)

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #1064 on: February 11, 2015, 07:19:42 PM »
I have another round of things to donate.  I can't wait to get it out if the house. I need to address my collectibles soon. I no longer want them but am having a hard time donating them. I didn't have a problem with anything else.

robtown

• Stubble
« Reply #1065 on: February 12, 2015, 06:37:55 AM »
I've made some progress.   I sell bike (bicycle and motorcycle) surplus parts on Ebay but have been selling other stuff recently.   Today I mailed off  UPS rack mounts.   Earlier I sold a music box.    I also gave away a dozen small items at the Westminister bike show on Sunday.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1066 on: February 12, 2015, 08:28:56 AM »
I ventured into the garage last night for a few minutes while I was waiting for my friend and within 10 minutes found 6 more things and moved them into the house to donate/sell. I can't believe I kept this crap around for so long. When it warms up (my garage is not heated) I'm going to go through it so thoroughly. There are a lot of construction-type things in there I will never use that may sell for quite a bit.

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #1067 on: February 12, 2015, 11:16:11 AM »
Got rid of:
- Eye shadow of Chanel. Mega expensive and I've used it only 5 times :( I gave it to my sister, she was very happy with it
- Make-up remover (I never use make-up, so I don't need it anymore) Also gave this to my sister
- Hairstuff - don't know how it's called in English, but it is to untangle your hair (not conditioner ;) )

Almost got rid of:
- A teapot with a cup underneath it. I wanted to give it to my sister but then I decided I wanted to keep it. BUT with one rule: I HAVE to use it!!

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #1068 on: February 12, 2015, 12:51:27 PM »
Another five eight garments to goodwill, and one book sold via marktplaats!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 12:55:19 PM by DagobertDuck »

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1069 on: February 12, 2015, 11:55:09 PM »
Got rid of:
- Eye shadow of Chanel. Mega expensive and I've used it only 5 times :( I gave it to my sister, she was very happy with it
- Make-up remover (I never use make-up, so I don't need it anymore) Also gave this to my sister
- Hairstuff - don't know how it's called in English, but it is to untangle your hair (not conditioner ;) )

Almost got rid of:
- A teapot with a cup underneath it. I wanted to give it to my sister but then I decided I wanted to keep it. BUT with one rule: I HAVE to use it!!

Detangler? That's what I'd call it if it's a bottle of stuff you spray in your hair and comb through...

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1070 on: February 12, 2015, 11:55:28 PM »
Decluttered my desk! Much better.

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #1071 on: February 13, 2015, 12:03:46 AM »
Got rid of:

Almost got rid of:

Detangler? That's what I'd call it if it's a bottle of stuff you spray in your hair and comb through...

Yes, that's what I ment :) Thanks :D

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #1072 on: February 13, 2015, 12:30:32 AM »
Decluttered my desk! Much better.
Me too! I got a new computer at work to replace the two old computers I was using, and gave my desk and drawers a clean out at the same time.

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #1073 on: February 13, 2015, 03:40:45 AM »
Today I did a task I can only do when my husband is at home: the cutlery. My husband is very strict with the knives and he has a knife for every occasion ;) So I need to take it slow on him in this case.

Got rid of:
- One cooks knife (he has 3 of them)
- One meat knife (we are vegetarians, so we don't need those)
- 2 baby spoons (still got plenty of them!!)
- Thing to get the pizzaplate out of the oven without using oven mitts (completely useless)

It all went in the bag for recycling at the second hand shop

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1074 on: February 13, 2015, 08:34:33 AM »
Today I did a task I can only do when my husband is at home: the cutlery. My husband is very strict with the knives and he has a knife for every occasion ;) So I need to take it slow on him in this case.

Got rid of:
- Thing to get the pizzaplate out of the oven without using oven mitts (completely useless)

Oh, we totally have multiples of some favorite knives we often use, so I'm with your husband on that one!  But what is it that gets a pizza stone out of the oven w/o mitts?  I can't even imagine this device.

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #1075 on: February 13, 2015, 09:56:15 AM »

Got rid of:

Oh, we totally have multiples of some favorite knives we often use, so I'm with your husband on that one!  But what is it that gets a pizza stone out of the oven w/o mitts?  I can't even imagine this device.

We still have more then enough knives ;) Don't worry about my husband, he's fine, LOL ;)

I've tried to find a picture of the pizza - thing, but I can't find anything about it online.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1076 on: February 13, 2015, 12:51:13 PM »
Can't wait for weekend to come - I'm setting my eyes on our tax documents. Will try yo get majority of our taxes done and paperwork completed. They are cluttering up my mental space. Does clearing mental clutter count?

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #1077 on: February 13, 2015, 01:12:42 PM »
Can't wait for weekend to come - I'm setting my eyes on our tax documents. Will try yo get majority of our taxes done and paperwork completed. They are cluttering up my mental space. Does clearing mental clutter count?
YES!!

RogueSqPewPew

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1078 on: February 13, 2015, 04:08:34 PM »
This week has been a good week.

Gave away --

Extra baking items:  rolling pin, mixing bowls, tart pan that I used once 6 years ago
Holiday decorations:  I had TWO HUGE plastic tubs of decorations. I gave away an entire tub of lights, garland, and ribbon.

Tossed --
A crock pot that had a warped lid and cooked too hot. We have another old one (the pot isn't removable) that's better than the new one!  We kept that one.
A huge set of personalized cookie jar and mugs with lids my parents had made when they were stationed in Italy. I kept one mug and lid. I got them when my parents divorced and no one wanted to lug them around anymore. They're fairly ugly, have been in a deep back corner for years, and hold almost zero sentimental value.

Put up for sale or to give away --
Horseback riding boots, juicer (gift I've used twice)

Feels good, man.

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1079 on: February 13, 2015, 09:51:33 PM »
Midway through clearing out my old room. Old clothes/books are easy to toss, but looking through old school yearbooks/mementos sure bring back memories. No matter, they're all getting decluttered too!

Before throwing away some yearbooks last year, I took pics of several pages, but in the uploading process all the photos were all lost. I guess I didn't need them after all!

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1080 on: February 13, 2015, 11:18:03 PM »
Cleaned up our gift box and decluttered our coat box - donating our unused coats tomorrow. Also found a few gifts that others will enjoy. Will give them away tomorrow. Next on the list: taxes!!

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #1081 on: February 15, 2015, 03:22:27 AM »
Another 4 garments and a pair of shoes to goodwill, some random stuff in the bin, and 2 DVD's given away on fb group.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1082 on: February 15, 2015, 03:27:46 AM »
Went through my clothes again and found another four or five things to donate!

onemorebike

• Bristles
« Reply #1083 on: February 15, 2015, 04:15:39 AM »
Yes! This!

We had about a dozen people come by the house yesterday to purchase stuff we listed on CL. We've sold 3,000 dollars worth of random furniture, bike stuff, electronics, etc. in the past month (and I would say we live pretty minimally!). Granted when we get to the other side of this move, we'll replace some of it, but man is our move going to be soooo much easier!

got rid of a carful of crap over the weekend. it's like peeling an onion -- i keep finding new levels of shit to get rid of.

all of this de-cluttering is making the process of packing for our upcoming move MUCH easier.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1084 on: February 15, 2015, 08:23:43 AM »
Onemorebike , that's great! Selling items is the part of this process that I am the worst with! It goes from procrastination , to deciding (eventually) to donate or keep... Very inspiring to read about all the money you are making.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1085 on: February 15, 2015, 08:29:12 AM »
On a side note, doing this major decluttering (again) has got me inspired to get back into a former side business helping others to organize & declutter. Business cards (cheap via vista print) are in the mail. Now its cosmetology, art shows, and this- three fun ways to build up my cushion ( and begin to invest shortly) after becoming debt free last year .

LadyDriver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1086 on: February 15, 2015, 09:13:57 AM »
This thread has inspired me to deal with my least favorite decluttering activities.

DH and I bought this house partially furnished. It had been the vacation rental of a family that lived a few states away. Since we moved in, I've been steadily getting rid of stuff. The previous homeowner's view of "partially furnished" involved about 3 times as much stuff as I like in my permanent home. Now, I'm down to things like the cleaning supplies and other consumables that the house came with. I've tried to use up what I could, because I hate throwing stuff away, but if it hasn't been used after several years it is time to go.

I'm not emotionally attached to this stuff, I just hate dealing with it because disposal is complicated. Stuff can be composted, thrown in the garbage, recycled curbside, recycled at a place where they take what the city won't, taken to hazmat/ewaste/prescription drug day at the dump, given to someone that I know will use it or even occasionally donated.

Life was much simpler when we just threw everything in the garbage without thinking of the consequences. :-/

KBecks2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1087 on: February 15, 2015, 09:23:22 AM »
I am working on cleaning… but also decluttering / putting things away, and also taxes this weekend.  I am loving it when a surface looks better than when I started!!!   My floor is clean of laundry, I straightened a dresser-top.  There are more surfaces to contend with for sure!

I am having a hard time figuring out how to get rid of things.  It is so putzy.  I have some things I could sell on Ebay but is it a good use of my time? 

Maybe I should do a little at a time, but then the stuff hangs around so much longer.  What do you think?

KD

• Stubble
« Reply #1088 on: February 15, 2015, 09:32:04 AM »
@LadyDriver - have you considered giving those cleaning supplies to perhaps a mission or women's shelter that could possibly use them? 

LadyDriver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1089 on: February 15, 2015, 09:43:13 AM »
@LadyDriver - have you considered giving those cleaning supplies to perhaps a mission or women's shelter that could possibly use them?

I have already separated and sent along the stuff they want. Nobody wants 1/3 full containers of 10 year old mystery brand fiberglass polisher. Old enough to be ineffective, young enough to be toxic.

KD

• Stubble
« Reply #1090 on: February 15, 2015, 10:10:52 AM »
ahhh LadyDriver, I see what you mean.  The metro area we used to live in had a 'toxic dump' kind of day where you could bring in half cans of paint, oil, cleaning, pharmaceuticals, etc. to be disposed of properly.  Anything like that in a city near you?

LadyDriver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1091 on: February 15, 2015, 11:30:45 AM »
ahhh LadyDriver, I see what you mean.  The metro area we used to live in had a 'toxic dump' kind of day where you could bring in half cans of paint, oil, cleaning, pharmaceuticals, etc. to be disposed of properly.  Anything like that in a city near you?

Yep, we have a household hazmat day quarterly at the local transfer station. I've got a box full of lightbulbs, dead batteries, and other junk ready to go.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1092 on: February 15, 2015, 04:31:54 PM »
Maybe use the blue recycling bags?  They are sort of see-through. To be even more careful, use the ones that tie for recycling, and the ones that have a drawstring for storage?  They are strong, I use mine for shredded paper and that gets quite heavy.

Problem -- not enough receptacles in which to store my give-away items!

I don't like using garbage bags because once, my ever so helpful husband threw away a full bag of beautiful sweaters that were like new.

Any suggestions?

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1093 on: February 15, 2015, 04:40:47 PM »
I've been on vacation so no decluttering.   I did manage to do very little shopping while away, and the few things I bought were all bought with purpose.  I also managed to not bring back all the paper that I accumulated on the week away.  Paperwork for the flights home (bookings, boarding passes) have been shredded and passport is in its regular place.  It feels good.

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #1094 on: February 15, 2015, 04:59:52 PM »
I got a nice free sweatshirt for opening a new bank account. (Because I wanted to use their coin counter without the 9% fee). I was prepared not to take it if it was ugly at least, lol, but that was sure not decluttering. But I hope this makes up for it- today I got two things taken by freecyclers; I donated a box of things and 2 paper bags of clothes last week. And filled a trash bag with trash at the same time I was filling the box of donatable things. I was sorting through my old stuff from my parents' house.

I am starting to really feel comfy getting rid of stuff now.  I think within six months I will be down to my favorite things.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #1095 on: February 16, 2015, 09:03:59 AM »
KD,
"
After cleaning out my inlaw's home and my brother's home after they passed?  We BUMPED our donations up and our buying down so as to not have our children E.V.E.R. having to go thru so much stuff if something were to happen to us.

I know what you mean.  I went to a yard sale run by a 93 year old woman's 70 year old daughter.  The sheer volume was exhausting.  I didn't even want to consider what had to get tossed.  The mother had so much in the way of china, linens and books it blew my mind.  Her daughter was super organised and fortunately had friends who stepped in to help her.  I don;t want to be doing that at 70 hers old for anyone or have anyone have to do it for me.

My parents have been letting things go for years which makes our lives a lot easier I must say.  Even so we are about to embark on stage two of a major clean out before they move to assisted living or such like and it will take a lot of my energy.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #1096 on: February 16, 2015, 09:09:54 AM »
onemorebike,

We've sold 3,000 dollars worth of random furniture, bike stuff, electronics, etc. in the past month

That is inspiring.  Not only have you decluttered but you have had the energy to deal with putting all that stuff on sale and dealing with the buyers…Congratulations!!!!

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #1097 on: February 16, 2015, 09:18:36 AM »
So!  I needed up at a yard sale by mistake, sort of.  I was with friends who were going to a yard sale preview at a fancy house and I asked to join them to see the house.  Of course I was repulsed by the piles of stuff and simultaneously my eyes were looking, looking, looking for something for me amongst the high end china and doodads. Old habits die hard.

I bought an outdoor table and chairs for $20 that need some paint and that we can definitely use.  I also bought a needlepoint rug for $10 that will fit nowhere!  However it may be useful in staging my parents' house for sale so all is not lost.

When my DH took me to pick up the furniture I asked him about something else and he firmly said that perhaps we should repair all the broken stuff we have before bringing anything else into the house that needs mending.  Thank goodness for him!

I have had a pattern in the past of buying things that are cheap and damaged and I think that if I had saved that money and bought just one or two things of good quality I would be very happy. I am putting a list in my phone of the few things I am interested in acquiring to complete our house (curtains for one room, etc). 

No more yard sales!!!!  Now to get out the brass brush and the spray paint to make my new furniture ready for use!

KD

• Stubble
« Reply #1098 on: February 16, 2015, 09:24:48 AM »
Yes wintersun on the 'broken stuff' - I'm a bit of a rehabber myself so I've enjoyed fixing things over the years.  However the wiser more prudent track is to need less, buy quality (at a discount if possible), take care of it, and leave the fixables to someone else just now.

Nice idea to keep a list.

Nancy

« Reply #1099 on: February 16, 2015, 09:39:55 AM »
I culled our winter gear today. Even with the mountains of snow we're getting, we can only wear one pair of gloves, one hat, and one neck warmer at a time.