Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1850122 times)

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #1000 on: February 02, 2015, 02:53:55 PM »
I'm in.
When I moved to a much smaller place last spring I already ditched some stuff.

I still have quite some bicycle parts that I've been collecting over the years, and though I like the idea of being able to use them again, I probably never will.

And I should help my parents clean out their home (my old room, but also other parts of the house).

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1001 on: February 03, 2015, 06:08:36 PM »
Wow this thread has really taken off since I've been here! Been doing a lot of decluttering actually. Went through clothes, shoes, purses, books,and paperwork. Probably 200 items out since the start of this year. SO happy about this.

onemorebike

• Bristles
« Reply #1002 on: February 03, 2015, 08:24:15 PM »
Things continue to fly out our door in preparation for our big move. Donating about half and selling the other half. This week's big wins sale wise have been a ton of a bike parts, a very expensive bicycle, our only TV set w/ antennae and wall mount (I got this when my first daughter came feeling like I'd be around the house watching sleeping babies a lot and wanted to watch football, now I'd prefer to get the kids in activities more than tvs), a play kitchen, some lawn toys, some heavy duty shelving. Its been great so far, so freeing in so many ways and it doesn't hurt to have some cash in the pocket!

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #1003 on: February 04, 2015, 01:16:03 AM »
I'm in!!

Since two weeks I'm decluttering and selling my stuff. Seeing progress at other people keeps me motivated!!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1004 on: February 04, 2015, 01:23:35 AM »
Why am I so attached to books? They're just dumb books. Grrr.

Kids books, and my non-fiction stuff mostly. Shelves, and shelves, and shelves of books.

Maybe they define a season of life for me? Maybe my memories lie in those books?

I don't know ... but I'm sure having a hard time parting with books. This is going to be a slow process.

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #1005 on: February 04, 2015, 01:57:41 AM »

Kids books, and my non-fiction stuff mostly. Shelves, and shelves, and shelves of books.

Maybe they define a season of life for me? Maybe my memories lie in those books?

I don't know ... but I'm sure having a hard time parting with books. This is going to be a slow process.

Same here!! Good luck with the books, I'm waiting with that part of my clutter untill everything else is done ;)

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #1006 on: February 04, 2015, 02:01:38 AM »

Books are hard for a lot of people. I was only able to finally get rid of (to charity) the bulk of my books after I read this blog post on the Fantasy Self:
http://www.missminimalist.com/2011/08/declutter-your-fantasy-self/

My Fantasy Self with my books was multi-faceted. Stuff like, look how much stuff I know! Look at how intellectual I am! (not proud of any of these, btw, but it is what it is) I loved reading a book a day in the past, one day I will do that again, even though it's been years since I did that. My textbooks from uni are still useful! (they were to a job I had 10 years ago but now so much stuff is available online) etc etc.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1007 on: February 04, 2015, 02:12:26 AM »

Books are hard for a lot of people. I was only able to finally get rid of (to charity) the bulk of my books after I read this blog post on the Fantasy Self:

My Fantasy Self with my books was multi-faceted. Stuff like, look how much stuff I know! Look at how intellectual I am! (not proud of any of these, btw, but it is what it is) I loved reading a book a day in the past, one day I will do that again, even though it's been years since I did that. My textbooks from uni are still useful! (they were to a job I had 10 years ago but now so much stuff is available online) etc etc.

Some of this sounds eerily familiar Astatine! I still have anatomy books >30yrs old, because, the human body doesn't change you know. And I liked that post too.

I've been intermittently plodding away at my study with paper clutter. There is still an awful lot to go, but I can see a couple of pieces of floor that have been covered for an awfully long time.  So,  progress.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1008 on: February 04, 2015, 08:26:43 AM »

That sounds a lot like me too. I managed to make the first pass through my books and get rid of about half. I still had my textbooks also, but realized I hadn't opened some of them in 10 years and would likely never use them. I gave some away, and still have lots in my 'donate' pile. Some books were easier to give away to specific people. "xyz might enjoy this book!"

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #1009 on: February 04, 2015, 10:20:50 AM »
Some textbooks do not get out of date immediately; you can go on Amazon and enter the ISBN and see what it's selling for.  It's easier for me to get rid of something and let the universe store it if I am also exchanging it for money.

Write Thyme

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I will get there one day.
    • Simple Living. Saving + Frugality. Meal Planning.
« Reply #1010 on: February 04, 2015, 11:53:22 AM »
I have a growing stack of magazines (thanks to free subscriptions) that I haven't read yet. I decided that I am not going to read them so I'm going to recycle them all in one go.

Quinn

« Reply #1011 on: February 04, 2015, 12:10:20 PM »
I have a growing stack of magazines (thanks to free subscriptions) that I haven't read yet. I decided that I am not going to read them so I'm going to recycle them all in one go.

unsubscribe! I used to sign up for free stuff, because they're free right?? but then I've come to realize that 1) I'm happier without all that junk 2) someone else can probably get more use out of it 3) if enough people reject these things, maybe they'll eventually stop making them, which would be better for the environment. now I'm more conscious of what I bring home with me, no matter the original price.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1012 on: February 04, 2015, 12:24:20 PM »
I went through most of my makeup stuff and found bottles and bottles of moisturizers. Different brands, some used some unused. I've moved to using coconut oil most days for my moisturizer.... What can I use the moisturizers for other than for moisturizing skin?

aj_yooper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1013 on: February 04, 2015, 01:33:03 PM »
The unused might be donate-able to a shelter or to a friend.  The partially used, I would just use up.  That's what I have been doing with our half-used stuff. 

Write Thyme

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I will get there one day.
    • Simple Living. Saving + Frugality. Meal Planning.
« Reply #1014 on: February 04, 2015, 04:58:01 PM »

unsubscribe! I used to sign up for free stuff, because they're free right?? but then I've come to realize that 1) I'm happier without all that junk 2) someone else can probably get more use out of it 3) if enough people reject these things, maybe they'll eventually stop making them, which would be better for the environment. now I'm more conscious of what I bring home with me, no matter the original price.

I definitely will! Yes they were free, and I really thought I'd read them. I was not impressed with the amount of ads inside them.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1015 on: February 04, 2015, 06:03:39 PM »
Thanks for the support on having trouble parting with books .. nice to know I'm not alone in my irrationality!

Cookie

« Reply #1016 on: February 04, 2015, 08:59:07 PM »
I've learned that when I'm stressed, the clutter around me makes it worse. So, I've been really going through everything and editing down what I own because I am pretty stressed with school and work. One thing that has really helped me declutter cosmetics and toiletries is having my husband learn he has exzema. Because I want to ensure we are doing everything we can to get rid of it, I am going along for the ride. We've gotten rid of all of our products that have artificial fragrance (basically everything) and have switched to natural products. I love that the shelves I once had full of products are now empty!

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #1017 on: February 05, 2015, 01:13:48 AM »
Today I feel like the clutter is everywhere :( Don't know where to start :( The clutter takes so much energy and viltality away... Does anyone feel the same way?!

mwulff

• Bristles
« Reply #1018 on: February 05, 2015, 01:53:35 AM »
Kander: Find one room and do that. It really helps to just start somewhere. It doesn't matter which room.

Sort into a sell/recycle-stack and trash stack. When done immediately drive the trash stack to the dump. It really works.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1019 on: February 05, 2015, 07:50:49 AM »
Today I feel like the clutter is everywhere :( Don't know where to start :( The clutter takes so much energy and viltality away... Does anyone feel the same way?!

I did feel that way, but now that I've started it's not so overwhelming. I've got a long way to go, but I'm enjoying it now. Whenever I'm stressed I just find more stuff to throw out, or post for sale online, or throw in the donate pile. Instead of clutter being a source of stress, it's now a source of empowerment, as I get rid of it.

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #1020 on: February 05, 2015, 09:20:02 AM »
Thanks for the reactions.

The problem is that I constantly moving back and forth with stuff. I find it hard to throw things away so I'm moving the stuff from one room to the other. From the living room, then in the bedroom, etc etc. We even have a room that we call the "clutterroom" (in Dutch: rommelkamer). How sad is that?

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1021 on: February 05, 2015, 09:26:25 AM »

The problem is that I constantly moving back and forth with stuff. I find it hard to throw things away so I'm moving the stuff from one room to the other. From the living room, then in the bedroom, etc etc. We even have a room that we call the "clutterroom" (in Dutch: rommelkamer). How sad is that?

I used to do that too, and still do to some extent, especially if I find something I forgot I had and I move it somewhere I think it might be used more often. I think it's a process and you shouldn't beat yourself up over not being perfect. Just keep trying to get rid of things a little at a time. If you're anything like me, once you get the positive rush of having less stuff weighing you down it'll get much easier over time.

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #1022 on: February 05, 2015, 11:10:02 AM »

In the US it's usually called the 'spare room' or 'junk room' haha. 

Have you looked at the website (there is swearing... be aware) unfuckyourhabitat?  You could try their style - do 20 minutes of doing, 10 minutes break.  Start by pulling up any obvious trash, then clear a few surfaces, baby steps like that.  If you do them frequently enough your house gets pretty dang clean.

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #1023 on: February 05, 2015, 11:23:32 AM »
Until a few months ago, I worked with the Flylady method, but since our son can crawl and walk, I find it difficult to keep the discipline. Maybe this site suits me more. Today at least I managed to clean up one kitchen cupboard. 1 coffee mug and 2 cups discarded. Tomorrow I'll do the following kitchen cupboard.

Junk room... whaha.... In Holland we use the word junk or junkie when we talk about people that are addicted to drugs, so I hesitated to use that word ;)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 11:40:36 AM by kander »

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #1024 on: February 05, 2015, 11:36:11 AM »
Oh, a junkie is a drug addict here, too.  For some reason junkie and junk room are completely unrelated, though.  Best to not be misunderstood on your own turf though :)

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #1025 on: February 05, 2015, 05:31:31 PM »
Cookie,

I agree with what you said above: "I've learned that when I'm stressed, the clutter around me makes it worse".

I am beginning to see more and more the correlations between clutter and my state of mind.  I have actually been tidying just so I can walk into a room and not feel overwhelmed. 

I am continuing to slowly declutter clothes as I grow out of them, another pair of jeans went to a pal today.  And, I went on a mini break and barely bought a thing, really just some toiletries I cannot buy at home.  The thought of bringing more into the house is too much for me.  Long may that last!

I am getting to the bottom of lotion bottles and face creams, I must have had 12+ different lotions lying around the house and car.  I find I am encountering a slight scarcity mentality about special things - I am mourning the end of some expensive face cream since I will not be choosing to buy that any longer.  The same with certain foods which I am not eating to save them so I won't feel bereft without them.

I did get a new book recently and am enjoying it very much.  But when I have learned all I can from it I will pass it on. 

You are all so inspiring to me, it feels great to look at this thread and see it growing longer and longer.

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #1026 on: February 05, 2015, 11:43:33 PM »
Discarded: a measuring cup. Hidden: a whole bag full of all kinds of plastic storage containers. I'm getting crazy of those things, they are everywhere! We never use them but my husband wants to keep them anyway. So I have a letter written by futureme.org and in 3 months I'll be reminded of the hidden storage containers. If my husband still has not missed follows an intervention whaha ;)

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #1027 on: February 06, 2015, 04:49:29 PM »
I got rid of 3 items on craigslist and made $47. Two of the items were large, and have been junking up the basement for 5 years.

Sayonara!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1028 on: February 06, 2015, 04:54:02 PM »
I just found a box of books and CDs that I packed up to get rid of years ago, still sitting in my spare room. Gone, gone, gone! But I'm not sure the best way to get rid of CDs these days. Garbage?

Sold a stamp book last night for $50, and put a couple other things for sale online today.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #1029 on: February 06, 2015, 05:38:10 PM »
A group I'm a part of is having a fundraising auction, I'm donating some things.  Several candle holders, a small chopper/blender, a coffee grinder, several recipe books.  Hopefully these things will all find good homes and raise money for our little group!

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #1030 on: February 06, 2015, 05:41:29 PM »
I just found a box of books and CDs that I packed up to get rid of years ago, still sitting in my spare room. Gone, gone, gone! But I'm not sure the best way to get rid of CDs these days. Garbage?

Sold a stamp book last night for $50, and put a couple other things for sale online today.

By stamp book do you mean one of those albums that have pages for each stamp from each country? I have a large one I need to get rid of; where do you sell that sort of thing and not get cheated for the stamps that might be worth something?

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1031 on: February 06, 2015, 06:37:25 PM »

By stamp book do you mean one of those albums that have pages for each stamp from each country? I have a large one I need to get rid of; where do you sell that sort of thing and not get cheated for the stamps that might be worth something?

It was a Canada Post Millennium Stamp Collection book from 2000 (plus I had three other special stamps from 1998 and 1999 that I threw in as a bonus). I don't know for sure that I didn't get cheated on stamps that might be worth something, but I searched kijiji in a different city (non available in my city) and just matched prices.

Like this one... for $30

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-art-collectibles/barrie/canada-post-millennium-stamp-collection-keepsake-bonus/583298287?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true 

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1032 on: February 06, 2015, 09:39:23 PM »
You're all inspiring me to take the next step and declutter our paperwork. We have two large file cabinets (we've owned small businesses and still have several rentals), and I am tired of having all the files and paper around. So I went ahead and bought a Fujitsu document scanner, which I hear is actually fun to use. I'm going to save the PDFs onto thumb drives and probably won't sign up for a filing app. The mustachian in me already has a hard enough time paying for the scanner! ;-)

Update: Now I'm reading that thumb drives are becoming obsolete in an effort to get people to buy cloud space.  If any of you have thoughts on this, I'd love to hear them!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 09:01:06 PM by Practical Magic »

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #1033 on: February 06, 2015, 11:16:00 PM »
I brought all our computer cords and adaptors and junk into the lounge room, and sorted by type. My partner then went through them and ditched the useless ones, and the excessive multiples. Halved the contents, and might do another round soon because I found more stashed away!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 05:05:42 AM by anatidaev »

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #1034 on: February 07, 2015, 04:40:17 AM »
Proving that there is always more to get rid of, no matter how many times we declutter, our donate pile now has:

- nightshirt of mine. It's newish but uncomfortable to sleep in.

- clothes rack. Flimsy and yukky to use for drying clothes. We'll stick with just our 2 sturdy ones.

- large plastic under the bed box, missing its lid

- whisky stones. Gift from DH. they're beautiful but impractical as an ice replacement.

- tennis ball. Came with the cats when we adopted them but they don't play with it, probably cos it's too hard to bat around. We'll leave it outside somewhere for the neighbourhood kids to find.

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #1035 on: February 07, 2015, 07:06:51 AM »
Rant:

When I post a Freecycle item or a Facebook yard sale item and NO ONE says please or thank you in the communication!  Like, if I am giving you something for free, say THANK YOU, for fuck's sake! 

Thanks for listening!

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1036 on: February 07, 2015, 08:57:40 AM »
The move that has been vaguely in the works for about a year is now really happening in five weeks. Storage space will be tighter in the new place, so I am determined to weed! Took seven grocery bags and two boxes of clothes to the Goodwill along with a piece of exercise equipment I realized I didn't like after using a few times. More going soon...

KD

• Stubble
  • "Waste is a resource out of place."-Coors Mfg.
« Reply #1037 on: February 07, 2015, 10:25:51 AM »
Great job everyone!! 

We have a regularly scheduled weekly run to donate to a local mission for disadvantaged children.  There's a corner of one room where 'finds' during the week are gathered.  I ask the family the night before who has anything to donate.  There is always a pretty good sized load!  This week was an old pool noodle found in a closet when we rearranged storage, a Christmas wreath that I grew tired of, a couple of bags and boxes of perfectly serviceable clothes that were 'dumpster dived' by my son and washed by me, including a great wool coat, a nice leather coat, and a couple of purses (seriously folks, let's donate this stuff instead of tossing it!!!), a couple of old lamps, free mugs & free plastic cups that I abhor, and more that I can't even remember.  It's like this most weeks it seems.  Mostly stuff I can't remember. 

Also a big box of books was donated to the local museum/library that they will resell to fund themselves. 

Craigslist sales have seemed to slowed to a halt in my area.  I regulate most sales to furniture these days and I'm down to what we want to keep. 

Got a huge sack of grass seeds (won't work in my shady yard) and a small plant stand outside right now in son's garage sale.  If they don't sell today?  Off to the mission it goes!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1038 on: February 07, 2015, 05:07:52 PM »
I had 31 things in January, but nothing for February yet. I bought my house two years ago and didn't have much stuff, so I haven't accumulated a whole lot either....going to have to be creative with what I don't need!

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #1039 on: February 07, 2015, 06:08:06 PM »
I gave away a silk cotton shirt yesterday!  Every piece counts.

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1040 on: February 07, 2015, 08:58:05 PM »
Rant:

When I post a Freecycle item or a Facebook yard sale item and NO ONE says please or thank you in the communication!  Like, if I am giving you something for free, say THANK YOU, for fuck's sake! 

Thanks for listening!

That's also a big pet peeve of mine, and worse, when the person doesn't even show up to get their free item!! I've mostly stopped using Freecycle for that reason and we just leave things out in the parking lot of my husband's business with a free sign. Seems to disappear magically that way.  ;)

Elle 8

• Stubble
« Reply #1041 on: February 08, 2015, 11:15:48 AM »
I have three things currently listed on eBay and four more scheduled to go live tonight.  It doesn't really help with the clutter since they're tiny (books, jewelry), but psychologically, it feels good.  If only I could get my SO on board (sigh).

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #1042 on: February 08, 2015, 11:25:11 AM »
I doubt if I should sell my DVDs of the games of thrones. Our DVD player broke down and we use Netflix now, so I don't miss my DVDs. But still I find it a hard decision, because I loved the serie and it's still my intention to watch the next season (I guess). Or maybe I could get the books instead of that? I don't know, meh :/

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #1043 on: February 08, 2015, 12:02:36 PM »
I think DVD is a dying medium. Sell them while they're still worth something.

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #1044 on: February 08, 2015, 12:22:41 PM »
I think DVD is a dying medium. Sell them while they're still worth something.

Thanks. I've put them on Marktplaats (Dutch) to sell them! Also put some DVDs of House MD on it.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1045 on: February 08, 2015, 05:24:09 PM »
I found another box full of junk stuff I don't really need that I packed up at least two years ago and haven't missed. I threw everything in the donate pile, but discovered that photo frames are hard for me to get rid of! Why?!

Also I found a framed drawing that my ex drew for me 19 years ago. I don't need it, but it's hard to get rid of since he has since died (17 years ago). I can't decide whether his mom would like it, or if that's distasteful.

Lastly, what do you all do with old photo albums? I have about 20 of them that take up a full bookshelf. Scanning the photos is an option, but it would take months to scan them all.

JLR

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1046 on: February 09, 2015, 04:02:58 AM »
Definitely moving in the next 8-9 weeks. Must get serious!

Tossed out a measuring cup that was at the end of its' life.

mleigh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1047 on: February 09, 2015, 10:21:57 AM »
It's not super mustachian, but I bought a Groupon for photo scanning.  You send them in via UPS and they send them back, along with a CD of photos.  I don't own or need a scanner, so this was actually a cheaper option (not to mention the amount of time it saved!).  I got rid of the photo albums and the majority of the hard-copy pictures, too.  (It's also worthwhile to go through the photos BEFORE you send them in---lots of duplicates, not great photos, etc.)

Bardo

• Stubble
« Reply #1048 on: February 09, 2015, 12:08:10 PM »

Same here, although I purge periodically so that they will fix in existing bookshelves and have otherwise switched to e-books or the library.  That said, I'm not going to guilt myself over those books I do have.  I like them, and I re-read a large number of them.  I'm minimal enough in the rest of the house.

Same here!! Good luck with the books, I'm waiting with that part of my clutter untill everything else is done ;)

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1049 on: February 09, 2015, 12:24:56 PM »
I finished going through everything! Donated about 5 bags ( really only had about a carload to begin with) . And a couple bags of things to sell (mostly antiques). So happy about this!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!