Author Topic: Getting more excercise  (Read 23082 times)

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
Re: Getting more excercise
« Reply #150 on: January 26, 2023, 10:14:19 AM »
Exercise is for dogs and prisoners.

You want to train, play, or work.

Train - You're training for a race, competition, sporting event, etc. There's a goal attached to it, not "exercising" for the sake of exercising. The one point in my life where I had washboard abs -- early 40s - was when I was an avid triathlete and obstacle racer. Never did ab work.

Play - You play something that you enjoy - basketball, tennis, volleyball, pickleball, whatever - or you paddle a canoe, kayak, or SUP. You move your body and get fit doing something you enjoy, not out of some obligation to "exercise."

Work - You work your ass off through yardwork, gardening, home improvement, etc. There is no tougher workout than yardwork. I once asked a contractor working on my house if he ever worked out. The guy was in his mid-40s and shredded. He laughed. Carrying heavy stuff around all day was better than any workout. He pointed to his younger colleagues on the job site (my backyard) and noted that they were eating fast food for lunch and drinking energy drinks or soda all day. He said once he started packing a lunch and drinking water in his 30s, he got ripped.

Most people hate gyms. Understandably. We used to be a nation of manual laborers. Now we create machines that simulate manual labor, house them in air-conditioned, warehouse-sized buildings and charge membership fees to use them. Instead of lifting weights, lift a kayak into the water, lift some plants into the ground, etc.

Don't exercise.

StashingAway

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #151 on: January 26, 2023, 11:14:08 AM »
Exercise is for dogs and prisoners.

You want to train, play, or work.

Don't exercise.

Because this is the Internet, I'm going to argue.

I exercise, because it makes the rest of my day go better. I'm not always training, playing or working (although I do the latter two plenty enough). I'm just loading up on endorphins so that I'm a better person to my spouse and kids. If I start getting grumpy or having sleep issues or eating loads of junk food, it's almost always correlated to a string of days without enough physical activity.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #152 on: January 26, 2023, 11:22:15 AM »
Today I hiked for over an hour, which I enjoyed. The sun was shining.

@LiveLean
Most of my exercise exists of activities I like to do, like skiing, hiking, kayaking, yoga. I also do a lot of manual snow cleaning, which I count as exercise.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #153 on: January 26, 2023, 07:09:12 PM »
Well, I go to the gym because I want to listen to my book, and while I'm there I'll exercise. If that's not your cup of tea, that's fine. I wanna listen to my book. Actually, I joined that gym because they have a range of classes that are exercise but really are dance or whatever and I thought that I'd need the structure of a committed time slot. I'd like to try some, but haven't because I want to listen to my book and can't do both at the same time. Quite literally, the fun music classes are losing out to my book.

I don't like sports. I don't like to run. I don't like to be outside in the hot sun doing yardwork (I do, but I don't like it). I don't like to swim. Literally everything that I've ever done that is supposed to be fun exercise isn't fun for me, and my regular lifestyle isn't strenuous enough. So, I am quite content with going to the gym and listening to my book.

Book!!!

(No gym today, worked from home and didn't want to go outside. Still had to go outside to get the recycle bin and shovel a bit. BBBBBRRRRRRR, its apparently 19F.)

In surprising news, I discovered that I have arm muscles now. This is new. Guess the e-gym thingy is effective.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #154 on: January 28, 2023, 06:49:31 AM »
I hiked for over an hour while listening to my favorite Norwegian, scientific podcast. As well as a bit of gardening podcast.

SotI

• Bristles
« Reply #155 on: January 29, 2023, 12:26:15 PM »
Thanks for the pointers. I will start with putting the right clothing/shoes in place.
I am not sure if I will make it out of the door, though - weather is quite sh***y here. I will report back next week.
ok, I managed to get out and about 2 x that week - then went on a business trip for over a week that was very draining and I didn't do anything but falling into bed and sleep.

I am afraid exercise isn't really a priority for me, just another chore. But don't want to be a downer here, so I will quietly follow and maybe find some inspiration anyhow.

Edit: I actually enjoy light hikes and little bike tours. But only in nice weather, so winter here isn't helpful.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 12:30:57 PM by SotI »

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #156 on: January 29, 2023, 02:26:55 PM »
Thanks for the pointers. I will start with putting the right clothing/shoes in place.
I am not sure if I will make it out of the door, though - weather is quite sh***y here. I will report back next week.
ok, I managed to get out and about 2 x that week - then went on a business trip for over a week that was very draining and I didn't do anything but falling into bed and sleep.

I am afraid exercise isn't really a priority for me, just another chore. But don't want to be a downer here, so I will quietly follow and maybe find some inspiration anyhow.

Edit: I actually enjoy light hikes and little bike tours. But only in nice weather, so winter here isn't helpful.

For a long time I hated exercise. I think part of the reason was that I was only doing it to maintain a certain size, so it felt like a chore. But at some point, I started to enjoy it, and that was around the time I started finding new goals that pushed beyond the initial slog mentality. Come to think of it, it was the same way with playing piano as a teen….

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #157 on: February 02, 2023, 08:38:48 AM »
Today we skied for a little over an hour on our most local ski track. Many times we had to cross a footpath with gravel on it, which is not nice for our skis. Good circumstances otherwise.

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #158 on: February 03, 2023, 06:11:17 AM »
Been rehabbing my Achilles for the last few weeks at physiotherapy which meant little to no running. The rehab seems to be working although I’ve been pining to run.

At first it was just run/walk intervals for ~3 km but I’m now cleared to actually run again, although at a much lower weekly volume.

Went out for a 30 minute run this morning in -26 °C (-15 °F) and felt great. My toes and thighs got a little cold by the end, mostly from the wind, but otherwise I was pretty well dressed.

Tomorrow is supposed to drop to -30 °C which means my kids’ x-country ski lessons will be cancelled so hopefully I can fit in another run.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #159 on: February 03, 2023, 03:29:40 PM »
Today we CC-skied for another hour. Perfect circumstances with new snow and still snowing. We had to quit prematurely because DH had heart rythm problems.

jambongris

• Bristles
Getting more excercise
« Reply #160 on: February 04, 2023, 07:56:03 AM »
Went out for a 35 minute run along a community trail next to the river that was converted from an old rail line. Absolutely gorgeous morning.

Blue skies, squeaky snow, and -30 °C.

Had the place entirely to myself.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #161 on: February 04, 2023, 08:37:39 AM »
I took a very slow walk down a short hallway and back yesterday.

I think that practically makes me an athlete at this point.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #162 on: February 04, 2023, 10:08:09 AM »
Ahhhh got an hour of running and walking in today. Felt good, after a month without aerobic exercise (knee injury)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #163 on: February 04, 2023, 03:14:51 PM »

Good to hear you can move a bit again.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #164 on: February 04, 2023, 03:16:30 PM »
We did another hour of CC skiing. In good snow conditions and sunny weather, altough it was late in the afternoon. On a weekend day it is quite crowded and we weren't ready early enpugh to start before the crowd, therefore we waited.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #165 on: February 04, 2023, 03:19:37 PM »

Good to hear you can move a bit again.

Oh no, I'm still fully on crutches, I can't take a single step on my leg, but I've been ordered to put as much weight on it as possible for the next 6 weeks to encourage bone healing.

It's pure hell.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #166 on: February 06, 2023, 11:42:12 AM »
Today we CC skied up and down a mountain, in a track. In addition we have been transporting luggage through the snow to the cabin and we cleared out a parking lot for the car.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #167 on: February 07, 2023, 09:31:38 AM »
And today another hour+ of CC skiing, now on much flatter terrain. DH is in very good shape and I have to work in my highest HR zone. It was the same yesterday.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #168 on: February 07, 2023, 04:25:07 PM »
I've been silently following along, nodding my head, thinking yes, yes, exercise would be good.... but you all have inspired me.

I was really active and exercising hours a day until about 4 mo ago.  I don't really know what happened, but I just kind of stopped.  And it has been really hard to get going again.  So today I finally got up and did a HIIT class.  And I have that wonderful soreness and fatigue and I'm so so happy.  Going to do some yoga and hit the showers.  Thanks, MMM family.  You got me out of my rut!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #169 on: February 08, 2023, 11:55:08 AM »
I've been silently following along, nodding my head, thinking yes, yes, exercise would be good.... but you all have inspired me.

I was really active and exercising hours a day until about 4 mo ago.  I don't really know what happened, but I just kind of stopped.  And it has been really hard to get going again.  So today I finally got up and did a HIIT class.  And I have that wonderful soreness and fatigue and I'm so so happy.  Going to do some yoga and hit the showers.  Thanks, MMM family.  You got me out of my rut!

Welcome.

That is so familiar. I remember that after I trained for a maraton 8 hours a week for one and a half year, after finishing the race, I just quit training. And started eating. I went up 3 kg in a month or so. It is difficult to get back into in a modus of training again, as the big hairy goal has been reached.

But it is never too late to start over again. We know that exercise is good for us, no matter what goal we have, if any. And hopefully you find some activity you enjoy doing.
For me, CC skiing is my favorite thing to do in winter, as you can be outside in the forest/in the mountains.

Today there was hard wind and we didn't ski. But I carried 20 kg of water through the snow.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 11:58:17 AM by Linea_Norway »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #170 on: February 08, 2023, 12:17:55 PM »

Welcome.

That is so familiar. I remember that after I trained for a maraton 8 hours a week for one and a half year, after finishing the race, I just quit training. And started eating. I went up 3 kg in a month or so. It is difficult to get back into in a modus of training again, as the big hairy goal has been reached.

But it is never too late to start over again. We know that exercise is good for us, no matter what goal we have, if any. And hopefully you find some activity you enjoy doing.
For me, CC skiing is my favorite thing to do in winter, as you can be outside in the forest/in the mountains.

Today there was hard wind and we didn't ski. But I carried 20 kg of water through the snow.

I've talked about this before here, but I'll never forget talking to a patient about this.

She knew I had lost a lot of weight and asked me how I did it because she said she was sick of feeling "fat and awful." I said that it's mostly diet and doing exercise that I enjoy. She asked me what exercise I enjoy and I said I had just taken up swimming.

She then gasps and says that swimming is just the BEST exercise ever and that she was in the best shape of her life when she was a competitive swimmer and she misses it every day and wishes she could still swim because she gained so much weight when she had her kids and stopped all exercise. She says she now does elliptical, and Zumba classes sometimes, but she hates them and misses actually doing exercise she likes.

I look at her confused and assume she's injured and can't swim, but no, she just doesn't have it in her to train for competitive swim races anymore. She's still perfectly able to actually swim.

So I'm super confused and start saying that she could, y'know, still swim. And she looks at me like I have three heads and says that she can't because she has nothing to train for. And I look at her like she has three heads and confirm that, yes, she could still just, y'know, swim for exercise, but again she exclaims that she has nothing to train for and can't swim, as if I was too dumb to understand the first time she said it.

We go back and forth like this for quite awhile with her insisting that because she doesn't have it in her to swim competitively, she simply cannot put her body in a pool and swim for the sake of exercise. Cannot be done.

So instead she tries to force herself to go to the gym, which she absolutely hates, or she just stays over weight and out of shape. Instead of just getting in a pool and swimming...

I've never quite gotten over that exchange. My assistant and I left that appointment both shaking our heads thinking "that is fucked up."

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #171 on: February 08, 2023, 03:01:39 PM »
Well, I’ve been enjoying getting in my weight lifting three times a week, and biking all local travel. Today was quite warm, and I had a lovely time flitting around on my bike.

MoseyingAlong

• Bristles
« Reply #172 on: February 08, 2023, 05:19:54 PM »

Welcome.

In his book "Atomic Habits," James Clear writes about this. From memory, lasting habit change is related to an identity change as opposed to a specific event.
So instead of "I will complete X marathon," you decide "I am a runner." Then even after that event is over, you keep running.

This really resonated with me because for a few years, I was training for/doing Ironman triathlons. Then I stopped and became a couch potato for a long time. So even though I enjoyed riding and swimming, I didn't do it because I didn't have an event I was training for.  Now I'm working on cementing my identity as an active person.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #173 on: February 08, 2023, 05:57:04 PM »
Yeah, I can't really explain it.  I like to exercise.  I used to be a runner, but a year and a half recuperating from plantar fasciitis put that off my list.  I paddle board, do HIIT, yoga, pilates regularly and ski and sail in their seasons.  But somehow, I went through about a four month period where I could hardly get myself to do any of it.  No idea why.  Not depressed or anything.  Just got out of the habit.  I'm back in it now and I feel great.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #174 on: February 09, 2023, 04:52:19 AM »
Today we still have a lot of wind, so most skiing tracks are now invisible of the snow that has blown on top of it. Therefore we went off-track CC skiing on a road that in the winter is not cleared for snow. It goes through a narrow valley with a lot of vegetation and is our favorite alternative for windy days. Lots of animal tracks like moose, reindeer and hare. We spotted one large bird (grouse-like bird). We turned around after fifty minutes and used one hour and forty minutes in total.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #175 on: February 09, 2023, 05:37:18 AM »
@Linea_Norway , that looks amazing!!!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #176 on: February 13, 2023, 05:30:55 PM »
Gym yesterday, but shortened because I hadn't eaten enough so couldn't do the usual routine. So less book time :(  Would have been fine if I didn't run my errands before the gym.

Then went home, ate, and cleaned the utility room which was lots of exercise.

I am somewhat solar powered, so winter is tough. I don't want to move much. All you people who want to go outside in the cold, I do not understand.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #177 on: February 14, 2023, 07:05:09 AM »
I walked outside for an hour, in the sun, with mini crampons under my shoes.

I also climbed the stairs up and down at home many times in the last 2 days.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #178 on: February 15, 2023, 04:14:06 AM »
This morning I did yoga excercises for my lower back. My back hurts a bit too often, so I should do yoga/pilates a lot more often.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #179 on: February 15, 2023, 01:31:38 PM »
It was unseasonably warm today, so took a long walk on beach w my dog.  I'm not sure who enjoyed it more

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #180 on: February 16, 2023, 07:41:51 AM »
Today: one hour and 20 minutes CC skiing in +4˚C. I used zero-skis, had good glide, but bad grip.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #181 on: February 18, 2023, 03:33:38 AM »
Yesterday and today I did yoga/pilates excercises for my lower back.

The circumstances outside are now between icy and bare. So it is difficult to use my mini crampons. I don't want to make them blunt on bare asphalt. I just walked to the shop and had to take them on and off many times.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 05:03:43 AM by Linea_Norway »

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #182 on: February 18, 2023, 05:45:46 PM »
Not really feeling it lately.

Yesterday walked 4 miles.

Today walked 2 miles, did 50 x deadlifts, 10 x bench press, 10 x dumb bell press, 10 x overhead press, 50 x kettlebell swings

I'm trying to convince myself to start running again this year. So far I have ran a quarter mile this year....so it hasn't been a good start. I last did a normal run sometime in December before I got sick. I feel like running is the one exercise that both benefits me the most and is the hardest for me to convince myself to do.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #183 on: February 18, 2023, 05:57:23 PM »
I stood for 5 minutes to do some dishes.

Although, I suppose that's a little more intense than it sounds because I'm essentially standing on one leg the whole time. My arms are getting a pretty decent workout from using the crutches all day too.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #184 on: February 18, 2023, 08:28:01 PM »
Did a yoga and pilates class. Wanted to take a long walk, but it was cold and windy today, so that will be tomorrow's plan

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #185 on: February 18, 2023, 08:29:06 PM »
Did a yoga and pilates class. Wanted to take a long walk, but it was cold and windy today, so that will be tomorrow's plan

Man I miss pilates

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #186 on: February 19, 2023, 11:20:25 AM »
@Metalcat, I know you do.  I have been thinking of you and wishing you a full and speedy recovery 🙂

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #187 on: February 19, 2023, 11:55:47 AM »
@Metalcat, I know you do.  I have been thinking of you and wishing you a full and speedy recovery 🙂

Awe, thanks.

I was just looking down at my right leg today and it's getting so sad a scrawny compared to the left. DH says it now looks like a normal lady leg rather than a tree trunk, but I'm not enjoying it's more, uh, delicate appearance.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #188 on: February 20, 2023, 05:10:49 AM »
I'm trying to convince myself to start running again this year. So far I have ran a quarter mile this year....so it hasn't been a good start. I last did a normal run sometime in December before I got sick. I feel like running is the one exercise that both benefits me the most and is the hardest for me to convince myself to do.

That sounds familiar. Running can be something to enjoy, but I find that you need you be past the beginners phase to be there.

Maybe you should always dress up for running, even if you decide to just go for a walk, which is much easier to go out of the door for. Then, if you feel for it, you can just run a bit and comtinue doing so.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #189 on: February 20, 2023, 10:10:39 AM »

That sounds familiar. Running can be something to enjoy, but I find that you need you be past the beginners phase to be there.

Maybe you should always dress up for running, even if you decide to just go for a walk, which is much easier to go out of the door for. Then, if you feel for it, you can just run a bit and comtinue doing so.

It's tricky to pace right when you're starting running.  The right pace intuitively feels way, way too slow.  My instinct is always to run way too hard and then completely overcook after about a kilometer.  :P

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #190 on: February 20, 2023, 12:07:10 PM »
Today I walk down the hill to a grocery store and back uphill with a heavy backpack and a hand shopping bag. I breathed pretty heavily uphill. Almost no ice on the pedastrian path.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #191 on: February 20, 2023, 02:17:20 PM »

It's tricky to pace right when you're starting running.  The right pace intuitively feels way, way too slow.  My instinct is always to run way too hard and then completely overcook after about a kilometer.  :P

To me, this is the right moment for a run walk strategy. That gives you an out to walk, but you still get out the door. Or, you could try what I used to when I started running in college…. I wouldn’t want to go, so I promised myself I could stop after 15 minutes. Usually by then I had gotten over my hesitancy. And if I didn’t I could stop and know I still did something.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #192 on: February 20, 2023, 08:07:27 PM »
Failed completely at moving this weekend, and really the past week or so. My music thingy is having technological difficulties and wasn't functional, and it really does turn out that listening to book is my motivation. No book = no gym. Also, have been dealing with after effects of an entirely preventable and stupid "illness", so energy has been limited and when I have gone to the gym I can't necessarily do everything I plan. That is getting better but still not gone.

1FACTORY174!

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #193 on: February 21, 2023, 07:30:36 AM »
But going on a bike somewhere local instead of driving or walking is a lot of fuss for me, much more than it used to be in the Netherlands. Like, my bike is in a locked shed, locked to another bicyle, so I first need to find the keys and open it (both the shed and the bike lock). The cycle lock needs to be taken along in a cycle bag or backpack if I want to park the bike somewhere, for example at a shop.
I prererably need to dress in cycle shorts to sit more comfortable. If wearing normal trousers, I need to bind up the trouser at my right ankle to not get it into the chain. As I seldom use my bike, my tires are often too soft and we have a cycle pump that doesn't work simply and is a drame each time I use it. I need to put a helmet on my head.

The value of a bike that isn't used is 0$.  While it really does suck having stuff stolen . . . it would be better to leave your bike unlocked and try to use it more often than let the lock stand in the way of riding.  Do you have a rack on your bike, or can you rig something up so that the bike lock lives on your frame?  Then you don't really have to worry about it, it's just always there.  I usually keep my bike lock key with my house keys, so it's something that I always need when leaving home.

Buy a decent bike pump!  I strongly recommend this Topeak JoeBLow Sport III one - https://bicicletta.cc/products/topeak-joeblow-sport-iii-floor-pump-yellow?variant=32770218885183&currency=CAD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=CjwKCAiAv9ucBhBXEiwA6N8nYEAPnUibHP6hySZFWa4gwslpZsslYbquUv8OS1t_s2TfdqPEXOc5GxoCQ8sQAvD_BwE.  It has a great pump head that easily locks onto both presta and schrader valves without any fussing around . . .  but there are plenty of other decent bike pumps out there.

Your helmet can live on your bike in the shed . . . this way you never have to go back into the house to find it after forgetting it.  As far as the pants, usually I just pull my right sock up over the cuff if I'm cycling in civvies - shouldn't take more than a second.

These are all little things, but anything that makes you think less will help you incorporate using the bike more easily.
I never bought a cheap bike that's just me, i am beyond expert and ask alot from a bike,in the garage or in the house no bicycle stays outside ,if you ride hard creating muscles as you go, i am 60 legs of steel ,stay busy keep the body moving make no excuses life is to short..

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #194 on: February 21, 2023, 02:50:52 PM »
Long walk on the beach today (90 min).  Found a shark tooth.

Hopefully some pre-bedtime yoga to finish off the day, too.

Hope everyone is doing well and feeling strong!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #195 on: February 22, 2023, 12:54:31 AM »
Yesterday i walked with my spike shoes on. Half on asphalt, half on snow or ice. The shoes don't function on ice. My phone logged about 8,5 km.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #196 on: February 23, 2023, 07:05:43 AM »
Today 1 hour and 50 min cross country skiing at our cabin in very good snow and freshly prepared scooter trails. A bit of sun and very little wind. Because of the good conditions we took the most difficult route up the hills. From there, the track is flat, partly over a lake. Back the same way with steep downhills, which went easily under these conditions. We only met 2 other skiers who were on their own.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #197 on: February 23, 2023, 05:25:53 PM »
My exercise cannot come close to @Linea_Norway 's joyful skiing, but I did get 5 miles of running and about the same amount of biking in today. Weather was strangely warm (70s in the midAtlantic) and I decided to soak it up; it's going back down to cold again tomorrow.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #198 on: February 26, 2023, 01:59:37 AM »
Yesterday we CC skied for an hour and 40 minutes in quite a lot of wind. The trail got quickly blown away.

The day before we also set out skiing, but had extremely bad skis, with icing under the gliding parts. I did the same distance as yesterday, only slower and with more effort. Also in a lot of wind.

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #199 on: February 26, 2023, 05:16:24 AM »
Yesterday I walked 6 miles and did 40x curls.

Was planning on doing more strength training but had too many other things going on yesterday.