Author Topic: Get Your Shit Together! Wills, living wills, POAs, life insurance, etc.  (Read 57642 times)

mspym

• Walrus Stache
@FireLane High five! That's great!

ForeverPoor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Have always had voluntary life insurance maxed due to my employer but haven't touched any of the others listed in topic... maybe it's time I visit them.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
Good for you, FIRE at 45!

I have a basic question.  My father in New York State already has a will but now he wants to do a POA and a living will with me the person with the POA etc.  However, I live in Italy.  Can he execute the document without my presence?  Or does he have to wait until I visit him next time probably this summer?

CrustyBadger

• Handlebar Stache
@Hula Hoop I am guessing that he could send you a copy of the PDA and the Living Will, and you could sign them in the presence of a Notary Public. You can find one at the US Embassy.

https://it.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/notarial-services/

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
Thanks, CB.  I'll look into that.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
I just reduced DH and my life insurance to $100k on each of us.   Deep breath.

Baby steps.   We jumped into the next higher cost band this year, so I am just dropping it to keep costs constant.  Technically, we should be able to self-fund, because we are pretty much FIRED on a fraction of our prior incomes, youngest kid will be 17 soon and we have their education funds sorted out. 

For some reason, I like the insurance safety net... hard habit to shake once you have it.

I will have to update the wills once the youngest is no longer a minor.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
I just reduced DH and my life insurance to $100k on each of us.   Deep breath.

Baby steps.   We jumped into the next higher cost band this year, so I am just dropping it to keep costs constant.  Technically, we should be able to self-fund, because we are pretty much FIRED on a fraction of our prior incomes, youngest kid will be 17 soon and we have their education funds sorted out. 

For some reason, I like the insurance safety net... hard habit to shake once you have it.

I will have to update the wills once the youngest is no longer a minor.

Interesting.  I've self insured for years now.
Glad to hear others have the same approach to getting self-insured eventually.   We were up at $450k each 3 years ago, and I have so much trouble going cold turkey with a huge mortgage, still.  (Mortgage value is much larger than the insurance).   It is one of the hidden costs of "Don't pay off your mortgage club"...   At some level, when you have large expenses (mortgage), you still want insurance, even if you could self-insure.   If we paid down the mortgage and have smaller investments, I think I would get rid of the life insurance, which is not logical, but there you go.

Not sure how I feel about other types of insurance,  I am at a $1million coverage for liabiity (professional / 3rd party car insurance).  When you have FIRE assets, you want some protection, you know?  Anyway, that is a different thread from life insurance / wills.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
I just changed over my super provider and dropped my life insurance at the same time to just what is included by the fund. We have no mortgage, and we have both super and investments we could draw on so it was scary but also just done now.

I think my last item on my list is writing my will.

letsdoit

• Bristles
we have wills POA and extra life insurance.  $1 mill umbrella insurance for $200/yr

mine extra life insurance is not cheap bc i'm a man (i know i'm getting ripped off bc i'm so healthy)
but i still have it for my kids. 

i tried to renegotiate car insurance but have not succeeded yet

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
I called a lawyer last week and left a message saying we'd like to update our will.

Her office called back left a message on my machine.

My move!

SuperSecretName

• Bristles
after a year of procrastinating, I'm finally get this done :)

I'm using the lawyer that did my divorce.  $1k all in.  Maybe a little high, but there are some unique custody issues to consider.  I didn't think it worth it to shop around to save a few hundred, maybe.

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
This is a good challenge for me - my goal is to get our wills and directives squared away in the next couple of months.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
How do you get a good Executor / Executrix?  No one I know I would trust to handle this.

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
How do you get a good Executor / Executrix?  No one I know I would trust to handle this.

A lawyer, accountant, or bank can serve as your executor. The lawyer/law office that drafted your will cannot serve as the executor, however, due to possible conflict of interest.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache

We don’t have children so I am less concerned about having a good executor then probably parents with children. But we chose our friend who is frugal along with our siblings,. They operate as a team and may make decisions independently of one another. I think that’s OK
, they’re all reasonable people.I think they will have similar mindsets and disposing of property.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
We have an appointment next week with a lawyer to get our wills and other pertinent documents drawn up.

Hopefully the formal paperwork will be  done within a week or so of that.

I've already written up a "things you need to know" document but I'm going to cross-check it with the excellent list of items I just read in this thread.   

I've got a 2 hour meeting with my son and his wife scheduled for our next get together.  My wife will take the grandkids to the movie so we can have undisturbed conversation time.   I want to make sure they both know basic money and investment concepts and have time to ask questions, etc.  As Jim Rohn quipped, if you end up with a million dollars, it's best to learn how to manage it or you won't be a millionaire for long.

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
Took the first step - got the names of a couple of lawyers in the area. I know this seems like a really small step but it is already more than I've done so far :-)

happy

• Walrus Stache
Have got my solicitor to draw up will, POA and EG.   No life insurance...cancelled it all years ago when i realised if I die my kids will be well off, since I won't have to pay for my reitirement. Need to make followup appointments to get this all signed off.

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
Yes! One of my goals this year is a real will.

I have my estate clearly laid out with 6 pages of detailed instructions on how to manage/distribute the money. Just updated and sent to the executor and guardian, but do not have a real will.

Life insurance is covered. $1,000,000 for my on a term, $210k from work, and my wife has $500k from work.

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
Actually set up an appointment with a lawyer for tomorrow to start work on wills. I've been putting this off for years so I'm glad to have overcome inertia!

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
Had appointment with lawyer and got the process of creating our wills moving.

happy

• Walrus Stache
All done. Completed  Will, Power of Attorney and Enduring Guardianship this last week. Feels good to have it done. Cost 2k, which includes the upmarket version of the will including testamentary trusts etc.

No life insurance, I don't need it.

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
Had appointment with lawyer and got the process of creating our wills moving.

Nice job!

All done. Completed  Will, Power of Attorney and Enduring Guardianship this last week. Feels good to have it done. Cost 2k, which includes the upmarket version of the will including testamentary trusts etc.

No life insurance, I don't need it.

Good for you!

ToTheMoon

• Pencil Stache
I am so glad this thread popped up again - I needed the reminder to review our will and potentially make changes.  In the 5+ years since we did it up there have been lots of changes (children & health challenges) for the persons we had assigned as guardians for our children.  Also we have had a few friends whose parents have passed recently and the nightmares of 20+ and 30+ year old wills that have never been updated have been shocking.  Way too many extra hoops to jump through for those who are supposed to be grieving. 

How often do you think it is prudent to review? Every 5 years or if a big life change happens?

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian

How often do you think it is prudent to review? Every 5 years or if a big life change happens?

I'd say a quick mental review every year to think about changes - if they are major then do the will changes.

My will was done in 2012?  2013?  It didn't need changing until now.  My sister was executor and there would have been a house to sell - she is retired and has the time and experience to do that.  Now that the house is sold and all my major assets are more liquid I will be redoing my will and my DD will be my executor.  I just couldn't ask her to do it when there was a house in the picture - she doesn't live near here and she has a full time job, it would have been very difficult for her.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
Hub and I have no children or close relatives. Who would we appoint as an executor if we both croak? We do have an ancient will that needs updating but we also don't really know how to disperse our savings either. We have, in our original will, that the money will go to animal welfare in our town. That is, if there is any moola left! Our original will specified that the money be divided among our parents but all four are long gone. Spouse has 3 siblings that are estranged. I have no siblings.

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
PTF so it will be a regular reminder to tackle this soon!

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
I need to do this.  We have life insurance but no wills, and we want to be able to say who the kids will go to if we die.  Posting so this pops up in my 'replies to your posts"!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
Hub and I have no children or close relatives. Who would we appoint as an executor if we both croak? We do have an ancient will that needs updating but we also don't really know how to disperse our savings either. We have, in our original will, that the money will go to animal welfare in our town. That is, if there is any moola left! Our original will specified that the money be divided among our parents but all four are long gone. Spouse has 3 siblings that are estranged. I have no siblings.

I suspect if your spouse has no will and dies after you, the 3 estranged siblings will be getting the estate.

If you don't want them to have it, get a will. And when you're doing it, ask the lawyer whether it's best to specifically exclude said siblings.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache

I suspect if your spouse has no will and dies after you, the 3 estranged siblings will be getting the estate.

If you don't want them to have it, get a will. And when you're doing it, ask the lawyer whether it's best to specifically exclude said siblings.

We have a will from 1991 that has not been updated. Each of Hubs siblings would get a very minor amount of money each, but now I'd like to cut them out completely. Our old will specifies that all our money go to animal welfare in our town and not to his siblings.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
PTF. Now that I'm FIRE I have no excuse to keep putting this off. Mine will be simple, everything to my son/DIL/granddaughter, but I need to put together a list of all my accounts and how to access them, make sure I have them designated as beneficiaries, etc.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
Our "Things You Need To Know" document for our heirs has the following topics in it (and of course they'll know where to find it):

Contacts:   Business partners, people we routinely do business with: realtor, lawyer, accountants.

Things to do: Add a change of address so mail goes to their home, refresh it at the end of the next 2 years to get those once a year documents.

Where things likely are in the house:   Documents, checkbooks, mortgage coupon payment book, gun safe key, keys to rental properties, etc.

Land: List of property and the URL for the registry of deeds to double-check the document is up to date.   Associated payment schedules and bills for those properties.

Accounts Receivable: Any mortgage notes or loans that others owe us for.

Liabilities: Mortgage, property taxes, HELOC.

What do to with things they don't want:  Suggestions for places to charitably donate the items to and local estate sale companies that do a good job.

Burial wishes:  Keep it simple, keep it inexpensive, have a wake and invite our friends.

Family obligations on farmland ownership that's shared with my mom's side of the family:  Advice on how to handle things and what we would recommend if other relatives want to sell.

Banks:  Banks we do business with and why

Investment Accounts:  Places that hold our stock/bond portfolios.

Insurance:  Who we have insurance with.

Money and Investment Advice:  Little snippets of wisdom that hopefully will help them avoid big mistakes.  Plus an attempt to teach the right mindset.  Things like if you want a luxury that will require an ongoing expense, set up an investment that will provide an income stream to pay for it.

Hope that helps!

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
Our "Things You Need To Know" document for our heirs has the following topics in it (and of course they'll know where to find it):

That's great! Mind if I add it to the resources at the beginning?

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache

Sure, go ahead!   

Jim Fiction

• Stubble
What a tremendous resource this thread is!

Posting to follow and as a self-reminder.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd

I agree, thanks for sharing your list with us @SwordGuy

Kapiira

• Stubble
Re: Get Your Shit Together! Wills, living wills, POAs, life insurance, etc.
« Reply #186 on: August 28, 2019, 11:43:34 AM »
I just wanted to celebrate getting my in-laws to fill out their heath POA, living will, and durable POA.  Next, we're holding each other accountable on getting our wills taken care of.  It feels good to make progress!

Sanitary Stache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #187 on: September 03, 2019, 10:00:45 AM »
I want to do this. 

Goals:
  • Life Insurance for DW
  • Advance Directives for each other
  • bug out bag and emergency evacuation procedure
  • set more goals

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #188 on: October 16, 2021, 06:59:16 PM »
Yearly bump.

I done got divorced, and am in the process of updating my will, and powers of attorney. The final monetary effect of The Sunndering will be flying from Washington DC, to Seattle, Washington to sign the documentation in front of the lawyer, like a good little boy.

This spasm is also partially motivated by the sudden death of a family member, and our search for a will. Cracking into her digital life, to try and see if there’s any correspondence with a lawyer, etc. Which lead to the question: how will you pass on your digital life to your loved ones or executor?

My strategy is to sign up for 1Password. I’ve been spending 10 minutes each day transferring all my scattered emails, keychains, and jotted notes over to that. I’ll write the master password down, and stick that into the envelope with my will. I’ll probably add the pin I use for my phones and iPads.

Anyone have a better strategy for digital inheritance??

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #189 on: October 17, 2021, 05:39:41 AM »
SailorSam's great question, for which I do not know the answer, brought my attention to this excellent thread.  Looking back at Meerkat and SwordGuy's very helpful list at the beginning of the thread I did not see a discussion of beneficiaries for investment accounts, including IRAs, 401(k)s, and 403(b)s, and pensions.  Everyone needs to know that beneficiary designations on accounts override wills.  The great thing about this is that for most accounts you can designate or update beneficiaries quickly and easily online.  It's great to check them once a year and make sure you still want the same designations. You can also add beneficiaries to bank accounts. 

ToTheMoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #190 on: October 17, 2021, 08:41:22 AM »
This spasm is also partially motivated by the sudden death of a family member, and our search for a will. Cracking into her digital life, to try and see if there’s any correspondence with a lawyer, etc. Which lead to the question: how will you pass on your digital life to your loved ones or executor?

My strategy is to sign up for 1Password. I’ve been spending 10 minutes each day transferring all my scattered emails, keychains, and jotted notes over to that. I’ll write the master password down, and stick that into the envelope with my will. I’ll probably add the pin I use for my phones and iPads.

I use Dashlane for password management, and it has an emergency feature that you set up to release your passwords to designated people after your demise. I believe they trigger it, and then it sends daily emails/texts to you for a set number of days (giving you opportunity to intercept if you are indeed still on this planet.) When the set amount of days goes by without your interference, the passwords then release to your designated people.

I would check to see if 1password offers something similar - I would guess that they do.

This has got me thinking - it also has a secure notes area - I wonder if I could keep a copy of my will in there as well, just in case the original goes astray.  Hmm...

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #191 on: October 17, 2021, 09:24:59 AM »
In most jurisdictions you can file a copy of your will with the probate court, the old-fashioned way to ensure there's a copy available.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #192 on: October 17, 2021, 03:17:56 PM »
Yearly bump.

I done got divorced, and am in the process of updating my will, and powers of attorney. The final monetary effect of The Sunndering will be flying from Washington DC, to Seattle, Washington to sign the documentation in front of the lawyer, like a good little boy.

I got divorced this year, too.  Final papers came through about 2 months ago (it was a 2 year process, Canada has a mandatory 1 year separation before filing, I dragged my feet,  and the courts are backlogged, even for rubber stamped no contest divorces).

With my youngest kid 19 (age of majority here), and newly single life, I have booked my wills appointment with my lawyer for next week.  Have already changed my beneficiaries on everything.

For passwords...  the lawyer includes a sheet / comment about "digital assets" -- without passwords but notes what key items are there for executor to even find. 

My password strategy is to have 3-4 "rings" of passwords.  One for banking (unique, secure), one for things my credit card or taxes, etc. is attached to, one for google / iphone / work identity stuff, and a generic one that I use for everything else (like MMM).

Setting up 2factor authorizations when possible also helps.  This basically means only 4 passwords to write down somewhere and only 3 to update on an on-going basis.

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #193 on: October 17, 2021, 10:19:42 PM »
Glad this thread popped up. Have had the draft will on my desk for the last couple of months. Need to finalize and sign!

Britan

• Bristles
« Reply #194 on: October 18, 2021, 07:53:53 AM »
Woosh this is timely. Expecting #2, and I’m still dragging my feet on life insurance quotes. Ok, gonna put this out in the universe so now I have some sense of accountability lol. Going to get this done. We need everything still. No will, no insurance, no written guardian for the kids (just verbal agreements but for Reasons, we need to get this in writing).

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #195 on: October 18, 2021, 09:48:43 AM »
Finally, after several years of procrastination, my wife and I just went and signed our wills, POA and living will at our lawyers office. This task had been hanging over my head for at least the last three years. What a relief it is to get this taken care of!

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #196 on: October 18, 2021, 10:10:23 AM »
I've got a list of shit to get together:
  • Find lawyer to do Will, and Powers of Attorney
  • Meet with lawyer
  • Do what lawyer says to establish trust for minor children & guardianship for Tiny Dog
  • Sign Will & POA
  • Update SGLI beneficiary to Tiny Dog guardian
  • Update USAA Pay on Death to Executor
  • Update Vanguard, Betterment, TSP beneficiary to trust for minor children
  • Provide Will, POA, and quick start document to executor and guardians

Britan

• Bristles
« Reply #197 on: October 20, 2021, 08:22:48 AM »
Question regarding life insurance.

I’ve collected a huge handful of quotes through two brokers. Im seeing some pretty wide discrepancies in terms of annual costs for the same policy. We are looking at getting a 20 year term policy for $1m for each of us. For one of us, the annual cost ranges from $312-$1,005(!). For the other it is $590-$895.

Is it worth having both policies at one place? Is it worth paying more, and if so how much more, annually, to have a policy from a place well known for customer service? Given that this is to provide peace of mind to those who you may leave behind, I’d think it would be worth something to ensure that it’s through a company that won’t give your beneficiaries a hard time. But NW mutual for example is a mid-cost option for one of us but the highest by far for the other. I don’t want to be more than doubling the cost of this for no reason, but also don’t want to be penny wise and pound foolish, and it’s hard to make a rational decision about this…

Jessa

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #198 on: October 20, 2021, 08:46:00 AM »
Question regarding life insurance.

I’ve collected a huge handful of quotes through two brokers. Im seeing some pretty wide discrepancies in terms of annual costs for the same policy. We are looking at getting a 20 year term policy for $1m for each of us. For one of us, the annual cost ranges from $312-$1,005(!). For the other it is $590-$895.

Is it worth having both policies at one place? Is it worth paying more, and if so how much more, annually, to have a policy from a place well known for customer service? Given that this is to provide peace of mind to those who you may leave behind, I’d think it would be worth something to ensure that it’s through a company that won’t give your beneficiaries a hard time. But NW mutual for example is a mid-cost option for one of us but the highest by far for the other. I don’t want to be more than doubling the cost of this for no reason, but also don’t want to be penny wise and pound foolish, and it’s hard to make a rational decision about this…
Anecdotally, Husband and I have our life insurance policies through different companies. I got mine on my own when I was pregnant with our first, and he got his through his insurance agent that he's had his whole life (his parents used HIS father). I don't think it makes a difference? We just cut separate checks to separate companies once a year. I obviously can't speak to how the payout process would work for one company vs the other, and I hope to never have to, but for that great of a difference in yearly premiums, I would absolutely be willing to go two separate ways.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #199 on: October 20, 2021, 11:19:31 AM »
UPDATE. Talked to the lawyer yesterday.

I've got a list of shit to get together:
  • Find lawyer to do Will, and Powers of Attorney
  • Meet with lawyer
  • Do what lawyer says to establish trust for minor children & guardianship for Tiny Dog
  • Sign Will & POA
  • Update SGLI beneficiary to Tiny Dog guardian
  • Update USAA Pay on Death to Executor
  • Update Vanguard, Betterment, TSP beneficiary to trust for minor children
  • Provide Will, POA, and quick start document to executor and guardians