Author Topic: Get your flu shot! (And get free $5 at Target, even!)  (Read 6599 times)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
Get your flu shot! (And get free $5 at Target, even!)
« on: October 02, 2018, 03:01:19 PM »
Your friendly neighborhood nurse here reminding you to please get your flu shots! The CDC this year is recommending immunizations by the end of OCTOBER. Buckle up kids, this year might be a doozey! (Last year sure was) https://www.kgw.com/article/news/health/get-your-flu-shot-by-the-end-of-october-cdc-says/283-599933093

So I'm throwing down the gauntlet to say: let's get our flu shots and keep others safe! For any questions or concerns about efficacy, safety, groups who have specific concerns like pregnant women, here's extra info: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/keyfacts.htm

As for getting free money- I called my local CVS inside a Target, and they confirmed that once again this year, they're giving $5 vouchers for Target purchases along with the shot.

terran

• Magnum Stache
Re: Get your flu shot! (And get free $5 at Target, even!)
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 04:23:39 PM »
Be careful with the Target thing. There was a thread floating around here (I think it was here) about someone who wanted to know if there were any rules requiring insurance to cover pharmacist administered flu shots since their insurance was saying it wasn't covered. I think the consensus was that it wouldn't be covered if that's what their insurance said, so better to go elsewhere despite the $5 bonus.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 04:41:45 PM »
Check who administers them, some targets have nurse clinics.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 04:48:30 PM »
Is that common? I've never had insurance not cover a drugstore flu shot, in 2 states with 3 insurance companies.

Anyway, I got mine already. Got it at Duane Reade when I was picking up some Rx meds a few weeks ago. I didn't get a lollipop, but I toughed it out anyway :-)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 05:14:46 PM »
Be careful with the Target thing. There was a thread floating around here (I think it was here) about someone who wanted to know if there were any rules requiring insurance to cover pharmacist administered flu shots since their insurance was saying it wasn't covered. I think the consensus was that it wouldn't be covered if that's what their insurance said, so better to go elsewhere despite the $5 bonus.

I've heard this, but haven't had this issue myself. 3 different insurance companies, 3 years, two different areas of a state. YMMV.

Check who administers them, some targets have nurse clinics.

This is good to know too!

Is that common? I've never had insurance not cover a drugstore flu shot, in 2 states with 3 insurance companies.

Anyway, I got mine already. Got it at Duane Reade when I was picking up some Rx meds a few weeks ago. I didn't get a lollipop, but I toughed it out anyway :-)

Yay!

Does a stamp of approval stand in for a lollipop?

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 05:20:42 PM »
Okay. Ffffff. I need to do this and NOT give in to my fear of needles. I just requested an appointment with my doctor (I just won't do it if I try to rely on going to the drop-in clinic...).

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 05:23:02 PM »
I need to do this! And get face wash.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 05:28:45 PM »
Okay. Ffffff. I need to do this and NOT give in to my fear of needles. I just requested an appointment with my doctor (I just won't do it if I try to rely on going to the drop-in clinic...).

My 18 month old handled hers pretty well yesterday.  If she can do it, you can do it!

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 05:43:04 PM »
Done! I have to get one at work, and it's free. They have roving flu shot carts. Got my annual TB test too.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 05:55:18 PM »

You can DO EEET! No shame if you need to bribe yourself. I totally do that for blood draws sometimes. (Uh, my own. Not drawing other people's blood.)

I need to do this! And get face wash.

Last year I got my flu shot and a tank top. The year before it was a flu shot and face wash =) It works.

Done! I have to get one at work, and it's free. They have roving flu shot carts. Got my annual TB test too.

That's awesome! I love when work makes stuff like that easy. I miss my student days when shots came to us!

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 07:16:38 PM »
My work is holding a clinic Oct. 15-16 and I signed up for a slot. I appreciate that they make it so easy!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2018, 07:43:53 PM »

You can do it! I have a major lifelong needle phobia due to childhood hospital trauma. To the point that I have been known to cry or hyperventilate. I make myself go every year anyway. I just do it when I go to the pharmacy to pick up my prescription since it's right there and all I have to do is say "can I get a flu shot too?" And it makes my mom happy, so that helps. (She used to take me to get it done when I visited her, but I've gotten a little better about it.)

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2018, 10:04:12 PM »

You can do it! I have a major lifelong needle phobia due to childhood hospital trauma. To the point that I have been known to cry or hyperventilate. I make myself go every year anyway. I just do it when I go to the pharmacy to pick up my prescription since it's right there and all I have to do is say "can I get a flu shot too?" And it makes my mom happy, so that helps. (She used to take me to get it done when I visited her, but I've gotten a little better about it.)

Uuuugh it sucks! I'm sorry you have to deal with it. As an adult I can usually manage it with very deep breathing, but it absolutely makes me not want to do things I know I should (like get flu shots). I'm trying to work on it a lot this year, and I will say that both giving blood this year for the first time AND getting my tetanus booster makes me a lot less afraid of getting the flu shot than I was in previous years.

I'm basically hoping to make an annual flu shot into my yearly exposure therapy....

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2018, 10:16:03 PM »
I'm basically hoping to make an annual flu shot into my yearly exposure therapy....

That's kind of what I did, and it worked! I am pretty stoic about the flu shot now (I have to look the other way so I never see the needle, but otherwise it's OK). I am still pretty bad about getting blood drawn, though. I have an appointment to get three injections on Thursday afternoon this week and I'm not too happy about it. But. We can do it if we have to, right? :-)

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2018, 10:17:35 AM »
That gives me hope, Dollar Slice! If I can get to a point where I just have to look the other way without the deep breathing... that'd be gold. ;)

May your injections this week go easy...

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2018, 07:54:36 PM »
Did the thing!

FYI, the Target/CVS pharmacist told us that United Healthcare doesn't pay for pharmacist flu shots, you have to go to your doctor to have it covered (through them). Cash price is ~$28 after they apply a discount. (I did it bc I didn't trust myself to plan for it a second time.)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2018, 07:58:21 PM »
Did the thing!

FYI, the Target/CVS pharmacist told us that United Healthcare doesn't pay for pharmacist flu shots, you have to go to your doctor to have it covered (through them). Cash price is ~$28 after they apply a discount. (I did it bc I didn't trust myself to plan for it a second time.)

Well done on getting the shot. But ah dang! Well, at least we know one of the companies now I suppose.

I always recommend using your insurance company's website to look up preferred providers, and calling to confirm if you're not sure. I do that yearly with flu shots, since I have very little faith in my insurance staying consistent ;)

(And my husband and I finally got our shots today. They were out the first time (glad I called), then yesterday the line was INSANE and only one person was working. So we went back again this morning. Persistence paid off!)

Lyngi

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2018, 08:38:21 PM »
Pharmacist here.  United Health care might cover 'flu shots IF the pharmacy is able to bill under "medical" United Health care.  Just today I had to re-educate my technicians that searching "medical" brings up several plans.  This works for us with Medical-Aetna, Medical-Cigna, and Medical-United Health care.  The pharmacy needs to enter the actual medical group number, not the pharmacy group (UHEALTH).  Also, the cardholder's name has to be entered.   I work for a Kroger subsidiary.   
   I got my flu shot yesterday.  I was waiting for one of our Pharmacy School students to come in and practice on me :)

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2018, 09:40:17 PM »
My employer brings in a nurse from a local hospital to give flu shots - no charge.  Already got mine.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2018, 09:58:06 PM »
I also have United Healthcare and they have always paid for my flu shots at a Duane Reade pharmacy, so it might not be a universal policy.  Might vary depending on the plan/state you're in.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2018, 08:48:27 AM »
Appointments for DH, kiddos, and I made. We'll get everyone covered over the next two weeks.

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2018, 10:02:52 AM »
Got mine on Saturday at my neighborhood pharmacy. Yay for flu shots!
Nobody raining $$$ on flu shots in my neck of the woods :-(

Nola584

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2018, 01:43:06 PM »
I got my flu shot at the end of last month, so all done here!

If anyone needs any extra motivation beyond the already mentioned great reasons to get vaccinated if you can- this is your friendly reminder that, even if the flu is unlikely to be life threatening to you personally if you’re otherwise healthy, the flu still really sucks.

I missed the free vaccinations at work day last year and never got around to getting it on my own. I also ended up spending a solid week in bed with the flu, feeling like death. That was all the (totally selfish) motivation I needed to make sure I got one this year!

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2018, 05:07:53 PM »
$10 gift cards at Publix.  Make sure you call ahead to confirm they have it in stock and that there is going to be more than 1 person working or you might be waiting a while. 

For us, Florida Blue covered it at $0 copay and we got two gift cards.  $20 FTW! 

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2018, 07:01:39 PM »
Campus had a sign: "Don't just think of it as a flu shot. Think of it as virus protection software." (It's definitely a tech school.)

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2018, 08:43:25 PM »
I got mine at Safeway and got a coupon for 10% off my next purchase!

momcpa

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2018, 09:31:48 PM »
Got ours last week in the local Target store.  Zero cost and each got a $5 gift card.   Thank you Target !!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2018, 06:46:33 AM »
Woo! So many people getting the shots, I love it.

I got mine at Safeway and got a coupon for 10% off my next purchase!

Oooh that's a good one! No idea they did that. I need to collect all the deals on the first post.

Campus had a sign: "Don't just think of it as a flu shot. Think of it as virus protection software." (It's definitely a tech school.)

Heh, I like it =P

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2018, 09:30:03 AM »
Got my flu shot this morning! I did it at my work's health fair for convenience. Took 5 minutes out of my day to walk there and back. So I didn't get a gift card or coupon, BUT I did get a free sucker so I'll count that as a win.

SweetRedWine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2018, 05:06:03 PM »
I've had two work clinic flu shots and I barely felt them.  The CVS shot hurt a little more but was totally worth it. 

Also I have United Healthcare and I was able to get the shot covered at CVS in Target.  My insurance wouldn't cover it at my local independent pharmacy though.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2018, 11:55:36 AM »
I've made an appointment to get mine in 3 weeks (I have to plan ahead due to medication).

I'm also trying to get a serogroup W meningococcal vaccination. This disease is on the rise where I live and I have immune system problems so I'd rather be safe than sorry. Because it's so new, there are something supply problems but I've got 3 weeks to find one.

Insurance pays for my flu shot, but the meningococcal is out of pocket and about €60. I'm super grateful that I don't even have think about whether or not I van afford that.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2018, 11:58:32 AM »
I've made an appointment to get mine in 3 weeks (I have to plan ahead due to medication).

I'm also trying to get a serogroup W meningococcal vaccination. This disease is on the rise where I live and I have immune system problems so I'd rather be safe than sorry. Because it's so new, there are something supply problems but I've got 3 weeks to find one.

Insurance pays for my flu shot, but the meningococcal is out of pocket and about €60. I'm super grateful that I don't even have think about whether or not I van afford that.

I'm glad you have the option! A wonderful example of MMM buying options and giving flexibility. Yay for immunizations though. And I very much hope for your sake many other get their flu vaccines as well, to help cover you further!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2018, 12:36:40 PM »
Got my shot.

Got a 20 cent "fuel saver" so if DH and I fill up together, that's $4 saved.
$0 copay at the pharmacy for me.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2018, 06:36:26 PM »
Just got my shot. Yay exposure therapy?!

Thank you B_J for starting this thread. It really helped, because I knew that if I posted my intention, I'd feel like a sham if I didn't follow through. I now feel like not-a-sham!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2018, 07:43:03 PM »
Just got my shot. Yay exposure therapy?!

Thank you B_J for starting this thread. It really helped, because I knew that if I posted my intention, I'd feel like a sham if I didn't follow through. I now feel like not-a-sham!

YAY! You did it! You are most certainly NOT a sham, and are in fact very brave and conscientious to have done this. Way to go!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2018, 08:12:22 PM »
Nice job, @diapasoun !! *gives you congratulatory needle-phobe fist-bump*

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2018, 11:59:06 PM »
Well done  @diapasoun! You've done something really brave not only for your own health but for others too!

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2018, 09:05:33 AM »
Ha, thanks. It's amazing what the human brain can handle, and also amazing what the human brain can make into a problem even though it really isn't a problem. (The shot doesn't even hurt!)

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2018, 08:59:58 AM »
Done...all 4 as of yesterday. Cost: $0. We didn't get any perks other than not having to leave work to travel to a shot location.

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2018, 01:45:51 PM »
Done. Free, since although I'm not in a medical or age-related high risk group I work in health care and although a flu shot isn't exactly compulsory I'd need to come up with a very good reason not to have one.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2018, 03:30:36 PM »
Thanks, you got my husband to get his!  He was meaning to but the extra couple bucks from target, given he had to get to target anyway, got him to do it.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2018, 07:32:02 PM »
Thanks, you got my husband to get his!  He was meaning to but the extra couple bucks from target, given he had to get to target anyway, got him to do it.

YAY! I'm so glad =)

Done. Free, since although I'm not in a medical or age-related high risk group I work in health care and although a flu shot isn't exactly compulsory I'd need to come up with a very good reason not to have one.
Done...all 4 as of yesterday. Cost: $0. We didn't get any perks other than not having to leave work to travel to a shot location.

Woop woop! Well done everyone.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2018, 08:29:20 AM »
Hub and I got our flu shots last week. Went to CVS and they were temporarily OUT of shots! Went to my local Big Y grocery store and got the last two high potency shots for those 65 and older. We were going to get the new Shingle shot and they were out of that too!

Heard today that the first flu death in CT occured for a person over 65 from the flu!

I don't get what the big deal is getting the shot! It is less pain than a mosquito bite. You'd almost never know you got the shot if you didn't know! I have a friend who I have tried to get her to get the shot for years. She absolutely refuses. She claims she worked with nurses who refused to get the shot and they said it was no good! I just can't wrap my head around that at all! People should look back into history. 1918 was a terrible flu epidemic that killed about 50 milion people. Why take a chance? My friend works in retail and is around tons of people per day and is exposed to tons of sick people and she has grandchildren she could expose to the flu should she get it. It is a very thin needle that once in your arm takes about 3 seconds to get the shot. I can't convince my friend but I hope you all can convince your friends and family to just do it!

https://www.archives.gov/exhibits/influenza-epidemic/

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2018, 10:46:43 AM »
I mentioned to a coworker I was getting a flu shot, and she replied, on a very serious "I need to discuss something with you" tone: did you know not everyone agrees with vaccination? So I just replied "yes" in a "we're not having this conversation" tone and went back to work.

I like her and we spend 3 days a week sitting in the same room so I don't want awkward discussions.

We have a religous minority who believe that God doesn't allow vaccination, but she's not part of that minority. Anyone who doesn't actually believe vaccination works is an idiot.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2018, 11:37:31 AM »
Boyfriend and I got ours Saturday. We were worried too about the shot not being covered at a pharmacy so we went farther to a Target that had a CVS Clinic in it (since we usually get them at CVS and we know it's covered there). We both hate getting the shot - Boyfriend has severe needle phobia due to a bad experience as a teen with a nurse who could not get an IV in him, and I always feel really sick after getting it.

But it's done! I hold Boyfriend's hand while he gets it. I laid on the couch and moaned for the rest of the day but by morning felt OK. And, free money! We are buried in emergency vet bills right now so any little bit helps. We spent it on dish detergent, some snacks to bring to work, and some child latches for our kitchen cabinets to thwart our kitten who has been opening cabinets and pulling breakable stuff off the shelves where it then shatters all over the floor.

Side note: I haven't yet seen anything yet about this year's shot's effectiveness? Because - AND YES WE ALL SHOULD GET THE SHOT REGARDLESS - for the first time last year we both got the flu anyway despite getting the shot. Which I hear happened to a lot of people. Got the shots in October and got sick in January so it wasn't a case of the shot not being effective yet. So, that sucked. But I was better after 5 days or so, which from what I hear was pretty quick, given last year's severity. I know a guy who didn't get the shot last year and was in bed for 3 weeks! Also, as I told Boyfriend, we didn't die or end up in the hospital, so, yay?

Did the thing!

Boyfriend has United Health Care and it was covered - as noted above, though, we went to a Target that had the CVS Clinic inside it so that may have made a difference as it wasn't technically a pharmacist-only place.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2018, 08:33:07 PM »
Got ours this week too.  Luckily we live in Ontario, so free.   We had friends that didn't get vaccinated last year, and ended up in the hospital.  Same friends are again saying they may not do it this year either.  Some people just have a death wish.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2018, 01:47:52 PM »
Am slowly working on my boyfriend. He also has a fear of needles, and I'm trying to both prod ("think how glad you'll be to be protecting my immuno-compromised mom and your uncle with MS at Christmas, and how proud you'll be to have faced that fear") and support (told him I'd go with him). We'll see how it goes.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2018, 01:57:26 PM »
Am slowly working on my boyfriend. He also has a fear of needles, and I'm trying to both prod ("think how glad you'll be to be protecting my immuno-compromised mom and your uncle with MS at Christmas, and how proud you'll be to have faced that fear") and support (told him I'd go with him). We'll see how it goes.

Good luck! If you ever need help, read some about "motivational interviewing". Those techniques underpin how nurses try to talk patients into things =) Very useful techniques! And seriously, good on you. This is what good partners do- push their partner to grow and improve and build their strengths!

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2018, 02:00:59 PM »
For Californians, Vons is offering 10% off up to $200 with any immunization. And you can save the coupon to use later if that's more convenient. Mine doesn't expire until March.

Vons is owned by Safeway so non-Californians might want to investigate that too.

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2018, 09:22:01 AM »
Posting for ACCOUNTABILITY.
I am afraid of shots.
I used to give blood often, but had to stop because I started passing out later in the day following it (and missing 2-3 days of work being sick afterwards), and since then I have only had maybe one or two shots.

Funny thing…(well funny to other people, I actually get quite annoyed when nurses, people think this is funny)
...I have an actual full tattoo sleeve and a partial tattoo... short(?) upper thigh, not sure what to call that
Soooo, I have interacted with needles... but am still VERY SCARED of shots.

I may need to have a full day off of work, maybe two just to be safe... but I am going to get a flu shot this year... I'm going to do it!

I have awful Cigna insurance through the marketplace with like a 9k deductible, so I'm not sure what my options are... but I will look into it. 
It's time to put my adult pants on.