Author Topic: Get to 1 Million in Net worth  (Read 138099 times)

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
Re: Get to 1 Million in Net worth
« Reply #200 on: February 07, 2016, 02:39:18 PM »
Hang in there. That last leg seems to take forever! I remember checking daily, sometimes more. We finally hit the benchmark last March. You can do it! Try not to get disappointed if it takes you a little longer. You're way ahead of the norm.

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #201 on: February 07, 2016, 06:39:50 PM »
Hang in there. That last leg seems to take forever! I remember checking daily, sometimes more. We finally hit the benchmark last March. You can do it! Try not to get disappointed if it takes you a little longer. You're way ahead of the norm.
Thanks, Workinghard!  I will continue husking coconuts...

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #202 on: February 17, 2016, 06:33:04 PM »
We were on target to hit $1,000,000 net worth by the end of December with our investments and our new rental property business.

Then we realized we would fall short of our goal by about $30,000 because my mom was ill and my wife and I were spending my time visiting her instead of fixing up rental #3 to get the after-repair valuation jump.

But, serendipitously, a house we had our eyes on for 2 years started dropping in price $10,000 a month.   Using all the tricks we had learned about buying houses in the prior year (3 rentals!), we negotiated a price that was $97,000 below appraised value.   So, we actually beat our goal by $67,000 despite not fixing up rental #3!

Sometimes you get lucky, and sometimes luck just looks like hard work and paying attention... :)

I'm particularly proud of our financial accomplishments last year.  Our net worth - ignoring any stock market gains, just counting the purchases at face value - went up:

$35,000 Rental #1, after repair value increase
 $30,000 Rental #2, after repair value increase
 $50,000 (2 401Ks with employer matches at 50+ contribution limits)
 $36,000 Vanguard stock purchases
 $97,000 Main house value - purchase price
======
$218,000

Plus our income will go up $9600 a year due to rentals #1 and #2!

This is the really cool part:

Our net worth increased MORE than we received in salaries from our day job!

That's really awesome.   Think about that.  It boggles my mind.  Our net worth increased by 125% of our gross salaries.   And that's without counting any stock appreciation or dividends into account.  It's just counting $1 of stock I bought or owned at the start of the year as staying valued at $1.

It's absolutely amazing what one can accomplish when one lowers expenses, pays off debts, and then sets to work in a reasonable, workmanlike fashion to increase one's wealth. 

I REALLY do not understand why people say our country is broken and that there is no opportunity.

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #203 on: February 17, 2016, 09:42:23 PM »
So, we actually beat our goal by $67,000 despite not fixing up rental #3!
Good job, SwordGuy.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #204 on: February 18, 2016, 01:59:40 AM »
I REALLY do not understand why people say our country is broken and that there is no opportunity.

Well the opportunity takes work (see: Edison overalls quote).  What they really mean is nobody is handing everything to them.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #205 on: February 18, 2016, 05:37:46 AM »
I'm actually farther away from my goal than 6 months ago. I was at $800 in June and now, even with saving probably about $6k a month I am at $760ish. Ouch. I'm in it for the long term but I was racing to get to 1 mil. Now I've given up on reaching my 2 year timeline as there's only so much we can control.
I am going through the same.  Was about $30K short of $1mil in October 2015.  Now totals are around $860K.  Perhaps I can get to seven digits in 2016 if the markets rebound.  Meanwhile, I continue to do what I am doing!

I'm in the same boat - damn near every dollar I've put into my S&P Index funds is "gone". However, I'm buying leverage and position right now during the "correction", not sheer $$ value.  I've been accelerating my equity purchases to my maximum possible during the down market position.

I saw the effect of my "buy low" strategy start to pay off during the recent 3-day uptick of the market. My two day change on the 15th and 16th was almost $10k, the largest it's ever been in my accounts. You can intuitively see it in any personal wealth tracking software graphs: The slope of the line over the two days is higher and the length of the line longer than prior rises. So essentially I've got higher "upward tendency" now than I had before the market "tanked"!

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #206 on: February 18, 2016, 12:59:19 PM »
Cashed a large check today that pushed us over the million dollar mark (pretty well over it).  It's a weird feeling...celebrating by replacing our bed (which we were going to do anyway) and building a new raised bed garden this weekend. 

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #207 on: February 18, 2016, 02:21:14 PM »
Cashed a large check today that pushed us over the million dollar mark (pretty well over it).  It's a weird feeling...celebrating by replacing our bed (which we were going to do anyway) and building a new raised bed garden this weekend.

Congrats! That must feel great. Care to share any details of your progress/how you got there?

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #208 on: February 18, 2016, 04:53:06 PM »

Congrats! That must feel great. Care to share any details of your progress/how you got there?

I'm an engineer, DH is military, early and mid 30's, saved 50-70% of salaries depending on the year up to this point.  We were at 850 total net worth end of 2015 so this was going to be our million dollar (total) year anyway.  But then we received an unexpected inheritance that pushed us over the million mark in both total and investable assets.  That cleared today.  Maybe it's the way we came to be here (inheritance) but it kind of feels meh :\

Goldy

• Bristles
« Reply #209 on: February 18, 2016, 09:56:06 PM »

I'm an engineer, DH is military, early and mid 30's, saved 50-70% of salaries depending on the year up to this point.  We were at 850 total net worth end of 2015 so this was going to be our million dollar (total) year anyway.  But then we received an unexpected inheritance that pushed us over the million mark in both total and investable assets.  That cleared today.  Maybe it's the way we came to be here (inheritance) but it kind of feels meh :\

Congrats!  I totally understand your meh feeling about crossing the threshold.  If I were to win a small lottery everyone would think I was well off due to the lottery and not from the years of saving and hard work that got us close to the number. 

I have been flirting with the million mark and got as high as 965k last fall.  Currently down to 930 but I suspect we will make it across in 2016 due to contributions assuming the market doesn't fall much more.  My goal is to hit 1M before I turn 32 (2 months left) and 2M by 40.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #210 on: February 19, 2016, 06:18:50 AM »

I’m sorry for your loss. That would feel meh. Really impressed you were almost there anyway! Very nice savings rate and that’s great you have a partner on board. Your bed splurge sounds very sensible :)

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #211 on: February 22, 2016, 06:36:13 PM »
.... received an unexpected inheritance that pushed us over the million mark in both total and investable assets.  Maybe it's the way we came to be here (inheritance) but it kind of feels meh :\

Totally see how you might feel meh over how you got there, and not rejoice in the inheritance. But I can only think that if the person who left that gift to you understood how well you are managing your money (and what you plan to do with it), they would be extremely happy to have put you over the mark. I know I would!

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #212 on: February 23, 2016, 11:28:46 AM »
.... received an unexpected inheritance that pushed us over the million mark in both total and investable assets.  Maybe it's the way we came to be here (inheritance) but it kind of feels meh :\

Totally see how you might feel meh over how you got there, and not rejoice in the inheritance. But I can only think that if the person who left that gift to you understood how well you are managing your money (and what you plan to do with it), they would be extremely happy to have put you over the mark. I know I would!

Thank you for that :-)  He knew about the basis of our plan (though he didn't agree with not working at all) and that we were good with saving .  He was a "built an empire out of literally nothing" kinda guy, moved his family out of a war zone and lived in a foreign country until war erupted there, finally immigrating to the US in the 60's and establishing a business.  Everyone thought he would leave it all to charity (he was a BIG supporter of local charities and the arts) Instead, he ended up splitting it all multiple ways which we didn't know about until some documents showed up at our door after the funeral so it was a shocker to say the least. 

Frankly, we'd still rather have him around, and we are suffering from some guilt that this fast forwarded our "goal" from years in the future to right now.  I think we are going to stick to our original plan and keep working till we hit the "number" through our own savings then this can be around to alleviate OMY syndrome.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #213 on: February 27, 2016, 08:36:58 PM »
One thing I've noticed since getting over the hump, the money seems to take care of itself.  Downturns in the market always seemed to wipe me out.  Not this time.  My total peaked last year at 1.325M a healthy sum.  It sits now at 1.260M  not an insignificant loss but not a big deal to me.  The moment that the market starts rising again gains will rapidly close up that loss.  A 10% gain will fill the void and add a gain equal to the void.  A large sum of invested money takes on a life of its own.  It has an occupation.  It wakes up everyday and goes to work.  It earns a living.  It is a producer.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #214 on: February 28, 2016, 06:36:59 AM »
One thing I've noticed since getting over the hump, the money seems to take care of itself.  Downturns in the market always seemed to wipe me out.  Not this time.  My total peaked last year at 1.325M a healthy sum.  It sits now at 1.260M  not an insignificant loss but not a big deal to me.  The moment that the market starts rising again gains will rapidly close up that loss.  A 10% gain will fill the void and add a gain equal to the void.  A large sum of invested money takes on a life of its own.  It has an occupation.  It wakes up everyday and goes to work.  It earns a living.  It is a producer.

Bateaux, thanks for that comment. It really helps those of us who have a long way to go and are being buffeted (no pun intended) by the market. I'm about 1/3rd of the way there and the market has been smacking me around like a rag doll. It's been really tough to watch 401k's and Roths sit still while I push money into them.

I keep telling myself: "I'm buying equity positions, not dollar values", and I've really dialed up the investment in equities while the market is down. But it's frustrating as hell to keep injecting big chunks of my paycheck into things like FXSIX and watching the dollar value disappear almost instantly.  I'm having to pay more attention to # of shares (which is increasing very nicely) as an indicator of "purchased leverage" rather than pure dollar value.

I do see what you said, Bateaux, happening in my own accounts as they grow. Any growth in value at all seems to have a proportionally larger effect than it used to have. I can see in my graphs and data, when market value rises, the slope of the rise is steeper (gains value faster) and the length of the line (magnitude) is longer. What hurts is that there's just been so much more down lately than up. I'll be glad when things get a little more boring in the equities markets! :-)

You look at the historical data and you can see that this "market correction" is a mere blip compared to, say, 2009. Those folks who stayed the course and kept investing back then are in a great position today. So I'm trying to ignore the downturns, keep growing investments to take advantage of the correction and see if I can come out the other side in a much better equity position. I'm hoping to duplicate what others have done during historical market downturns, so I'm "all in" and hoping I'll be singing a different tune in a year or so....
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 06:41:09 AM by Faraday »

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #215 on: February 28, 2016, 01:46:18 PM »
I don't know how people can stand the ups and downs of the market, too nerve racking for me.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #216 on: February 28, 2016, 01:53:43 PM »
I don't know how people can stand the ups and downs of the market, too nerve racking for me.

Don't check it day-to-day.  Learn how the market works and think long-term. 

If you want to retire early, it's basically a necessity, or you have to work way longer to invest in things that return much lower, but with less volatility.   I'd rather learn about, and get comfortable with, investing in the market, personally. :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #217 on: February 28, 2016, 02:09:35 PM »
I FIREd and have never been in the equities all the time I was saving.  I got my ear chewed off by a co-worker who insisted that I had to be in stocks in order to retire, told him no thanks.  That was Dec. 1999, just before the stocks dumped hard.  Back then you could get 5-6% risk free so I didn't think the risk of stocks was worth it.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 02:11:17 PM by jim555 »

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #218 on: February 28, 2016, 07:04:09 PM »

Don't check it day-to-day.  Learn how the market works and think long-term. 

If you want to retire early, it's basically a necessity, or you have to work way longer to invest in things that return much lower, but with less volatility.   I'd rather learn about, and get comfortable with, investing in the market, personally. :)

ARS, I read someone make the comment here in the forums that the market "breathes out and breathes in". I thought that was the best analogy I'd ever heard for what happens.

More to your point: I check maybe once a week. I'm thinking right now even that's too much.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #219 on: February 29, 2016, 12:34:32 AM »
I FIREd and have never been in the equities all the time I was saving.  I got my ear chewed off by a co-worker who insisted that I had to be in stocks in order to retire, told him no thanks.  That was Dec. 1999, just before the stocks dumped hard.  Back then you could get 5-6% risk free so I didn't think the risk of stocks was worth it.

A few comments.

1) That was at the height of a bubble.  It doesn't change the fact that, long term (think, 30-40 year timeframe) if you want to not be in equities, you'll need to work way longer.

2) Plenty of people retired then, and it sucked, but they rode it out and are doing just fine. One example on these boards: clifp

3) Our "risk-free" (I don't agree that it is risk free, but we both know what we're talking about) rate is way lower today.

But if you're FIRE'd, and it's working for you, great!  :)

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #220 on: February 29, 2016, 12:48:40 AM »
I commented on this thread about 18 months ago and our net worth was probably around 225K. It's around 360K now. I think we should get to one million in about 7-8 years, with not working our selves to death. 

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #221 on: March 03, 2016, 08:21:40 PM »
Just bookmarking, just in case I ever graduate from the 500k thread.

Robot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #222 on: March 04, 2016, 12:55:38 PM »
Hit the number in November but quickly fell under it again.  I just checked today and am safely over.  The feeling?  A bit of accomplishment but mostly "meh, what's next." 

My net worth includes the value of my house and college savings.  Next goals: pay off mortgage and get to $1M liquid investments (excluding college savings and house value).

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #223 on: March 05, 2016, 02:45:06 AM »
Hi all - some great achievements there.

I'd love to hit the £1m mark in net worth, at £435k at the moment, aiming to the be there in 4-5 years, depending on  how the stock and property markets treat me.

MickeyMoustache

• Stubble
« Reply #224 on: March 05, 2016, 06:20:12 AM »
I guess I should post here now after finding out I was calculating NW incorrectly.  I'm having a big year this year and so an even bigger savings before my wife likely quits at the end of the year after having our 3rd kid and milking her maternity leave.

NW: $596k
Actual Goal: $1.5MM

Hoping to FIRE by 45!

SMCx3

• Stubble
« Reply #225 on: March 05, 2016, 07:20:11 AM »

Reaching these NW milestones $100k, $250k, $500k, and higher will happen.  It is amazing when the stash grows how big the swings with the market become, so step away from focusing so much on balances and concentrate on your plan.  At the end of the day savings rate is what determines a healthy retirement, not the market swings. 

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #226 on: March 05, 2016, 08:13:39 PM »
So much has changed since my last post.  Investable assets are back to nearly 1.3M  like I said weeks ago.  Stay the course, make good investments and the returns will come.
Good luck Faraday.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 08:15:29 PM by Bateaux »

powersuitrecall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #227 on: March 07, 2016, 08:08:39 AM »
We broke through the 1M NW mark last year about this time:

I did a quick calc at lunch, and I believe we are there.  A little sooner than I was expecting!

Since then we've been steadily saving and aiming the fire hose of cash at our investments and mortgage.  We are also lucky to have great DB pensions which are currently showing high PVs (because of low interest/inflation).  The recent bump in the market hasn't hurt our investments either :)

Here are our new values:
                      2014  2015  2016
  ====================================
  Investments:        320K  350K  400K
  Pensions:           250K  315K  350K
  Home:               400K  400K  400K
  Mortgage:           -80K  -65K  -40K
  Total NW:           890K  1.0M  1.1M

The next goal is to obliterate our mortgage while maxing out our tax sheltered accounts.  That should all happen in 2 years at our current rate of savings.

Then ... FIRE :)

We are on track for this.  We should get there in 2017. 

Our next big goal is to get 1M in "retirement savings" which is essentially our NW minus our home equity.

2014  2015  2016
  Investments:        320K  350K  400K
  Pensions:           250K  315K  350K
  Total Retirement:   570K  665M  750M

We should hit this sometime in the next 3 years!

FrugalFan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #228 on: March 07, 2016, 08:18:10 AM »
Great update, powersuitrecall! We are somewhere between your 2014 and 2015 with very similar house values and pensions, but larger mortgages and smaller investment accounts, and we seem to be saving at similar rates. It is nice to get a glimpse into our future! I am hoping to hit the 1 M NW milestone this year, but it will be very market dependent.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #229 on: March 08, 2016, 05:32:32 PM »
So much has changed since my last post.  Investable assets are back to nearly 1.3M  like I said weeks ago.  Stay the course, make good investments and the returns will come.
Good luck Faraday.

Bateux, thanks for the shout-out. Thought I should follow-up: The effect of doubling-down and buying equities on-sale has definitely shown itself! This week, I've seen gains that blasted me past the $400k net-worth "sticking point" that I've never been able to exceed in the past.

Buying "on sale" definitely works. You just gotta stick to the plan and don't be fooled. It's difficult, but it works.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #230 on: March 09, 2016, 08:44:11 AM »
Faraday if uou are past 400k then most of the hard work is done.  A seven figure account is most likely to come.  Well done.

The Beacon

• Stubble
    • Financial Freedom Tips
« Reply #231 on: March 13, 2016, 03:49:28 PM »
Finally hit the mile stone which includes about 120k in home equity.  This is my 11th working year.  Next target will be 1 Million in cash(taxable + IRAs).  When I hit 1 million in my taxable accounts, I will FIRE.

To celebrate, I am going to upgrade my aging Windows xp to Windows 10.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 03:53:18 PM by Sharpy »

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #232 on: March 14, 2016, 03:30:16 AM »
Finally hit the mile stone which includes about 120k in home equity.  This is my 11th working year.  Next target will be 1 Million in cash(taxable + IRAs).  When I hit 1 million in my taxable accounts, I will FIRE.

Congratulations - that's a fab milestone and a well deserved celebration. And on the plus-side, by missing some upgrades you've inadvertently missed some of the most frustrating versions of windows in decades. 

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #233 on: March 14, 2016, 09:06:15 AM »
Faraday if uou are past 400k then most of the hard work is done.  A seven figure account is most likely to come.  Well done.

I don't know how true this is, but I find this comment really encouraging either way. I hope it is true - we'll see when we get there!

FrugalFan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #234 on: March 14, 2016, 09:22:18 AM »

Congrats on this huge milestone! Still hoping to get there in 2016.

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #235 on: March 14, 2016, 10:17:03 AM »
 XP was the best... Congrats on hitting your milestone.

MickeyMoustache

• Stubble
« Reply #236 on: March 14, 2016, 06:53:03 PM »

I don't know how true this is, but I find this comment really encouraging either way. I hope it is true - we'll see when we get there!

Lol, I had the same thought.  I couldn't help but think to myself "sweet!  almost there!"

Goldy

• Bristles
« Reply #237 on: April 03, 2016, 02:33:17 PM »
Nailed It!

Checked today and it looks like we have crested the 1M mark by $151!  We are in the process of selling our house and it looks like I have underestimated my houses value by about 40k so hopefully with that extra equity we won't see saw over the threshold.  Next goal is 1M in investments by this time next year.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #238 on: April 03, 2016, 05:47:34 PM »
Nailed It!

Checked today and it looks like we have crested the 1M mark by $151!  We are in the process of selling our house and it looks like I have underestimated my houses value by about 40k so hopefully with that extra equity we won't see saw over the threshold.  Next goal is 1M in investments by this time next year.

Congrats Goldy! Good luck reaching the next goal.

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #239 on: April 03, 2016, 06:29:01 PM »
Nailed It!

WTG. I still remember that milestone. We never did dip below 1m but came close a couple of times. March was a good month, but the four before that was rough. We're also looking forward to 1m in investments. Don't think we'll make it by next year, unless our house sells, as we're retired.

webguy

• Bristles
« Reply #240 on: April 13, 2016, 01:41:00 PM »
I'd like to join to help motivate me. Currently at $540k and hope to hit the big 1M in the next couple of years.

I made it to $748k! Keep saving everybody!!

I made it to $988k and was getting excited... and then taxes hit! Looks like it'll be another few months yet :(

FrugalFan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #241 on: April 13, 2016, 02:05:50 PM »
Congrats Goldy! And hang in there webguy, you are so close! And man that is a huge jump from last year! We are stalled at around 950 and our taxes are going to hurt this year too for various reasons. Still hoping to reach this milestone in 2016.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #242 on: April 19, 2016, 11:22:23 PM »
The last week or so should be getting some folks close.  Let's hear it.  We're up to about 1.4M investments and cash now.  Almost 150K more than our low point only months ago. House and all the other stuff worth something I guess.  No debt.  The 2M total NW point is getting to be possible now.  Only wish I'd had more to buy with during the dips.  Still buying though.

FrugalFan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #243 on: April 20, 2016, 06:06:48 AM »
This has been a loose goal of mine for a while now, since reading a blog called Million Dollar Journey. I'm hoping to hit it by the time I am 40, in two years. But we are using the generous terms of counting our house equity and using our joint assets. We are at 817k now. A lot of inspiring posts in this thread!

We just received our pension statement for the year and we are now at 905k! I think we just might make it to 1M in 2016!

Now at 957k! Getting closer! This doesn't include our pension contributions since June 30 of last year since we only get our pension statements in October.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #244 on: April 20, 2016, 06:17:38 AM »
This is a fun thread to read.

It'll be a while for us :)

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #245 on: April 20, 2016, 06:53:24 AM »
As of yesterday I am at $991K and some change.  Will continue doing what I am doing...

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #246 on: April 20, 2016, 08:21:45 PM »
I'm back to about $860. My original goal was to be $900k by June so we will see it may be possible

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #247 on: April 20, 2016, 08:37:51 PM »

Well the opportunity takes work (see: Edison overalls quote).  What they really mean is nobody is handing everything to them.

Or, they mean, other people are getting everything handed to them.  The latter I think is a more valid complaint.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #248 on: April 20, 2016, 11:16:26 PM »
Looks like the 7 figure club is getting a few new members.  Great jobs guys.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #249 on: April 21, 2016, 12:35:27 AM »

Or, they mean, other people are getting everything handed to them.  The latter I think is a more valid complaint.

Well, both.  Some people have everything handed to them, but no one is handing everything to them.  So they say "there's no opportunity."

Everyone in the US has opportunity. Due to inherent and systemic biases and injustices, some have a much tougher road to success, but all have a road.