Author Topic: Get a New Job 2015  (Read 3724 times)

innerscorecard

• Pencil Stache
    • Inner Scorecard - Where financial independence, value investing and life meet
Get a New Job 2015
« on: January 13, 2015, 05:03:03 AM »
This thread is a challenge to find new full-time employment in 2015 (maybe that's even self-employment). Obviously this only applies for those still on the earlier paths to FIRE.

It's still a very important part of the process, especially if you are making too little money and/or not in the geographic location you would like to be in!

I vow to be in a new job back in the US by the end of this year.

Pursuit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Get a New Job 2015
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 07:29:40 AM »
Ugh..I hear you! I have similar plans for this year as well.

I'm in manufacturing analytics for a pretty small company. This is my first 'adult' job out of college. It underpays, but worst of all, it's really monotonous. It's so monotonous that I dread coming in despite a boss I like and respect and a satisfactory working environment - I even have a few friends here. It also bothers me that I don't feel like there's anywhere to go in the company, whether it's laterally or a promotion.

I'd like to get out of Connecticut. My goal is to wiggle my way into a telecommuting position, that way I can up and move to South California, or even a small town West of Boulder if I so desire ;)

I haven't even had the motivation to go home and update the resume or job hunt like I'd like too lately. My goal for 2015 is jump out of this funk.

mveill1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 07:57:50 AM »
You have my support. My vow is to get a job here in the UK, at the correct market rate for my skills and level. I about about 40% under right now. With a divorce coming up, I need to start living more courageously and take more risks!

TheDude

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 09:11:55 AM »
Good luck. I got a new one in 2014 and its been awesome.

Make it Happen!

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 09:26:54 AM »
Ironic timing...i was just looking at jobs earlier today.

I'm an analyst for a utilities company. Very safe and stable position with excellent opportunities for advancement within the company. And i just got an extra week of vacation this year! But I dont love what i do (definitely dont hate it though)...its not challenging or fulfilling.

I have my MBA and bachelors in finance...i have always enjoyed retirement planning the most when it comes to the various finance fields. I just saw an opening for a financial paraplanner...basically the grunt behind all of the work the financial planners put together. I think I may apply just to see what happens. It would require me obtaining my series 7 and 66 within 6 months of being hired, but i see that as a positive.

So whether it is within my own company or with another company, I'd like to find something a bit more fulfilling with better pay.

Grid

• Bristles
  • I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 11:12:33 AM »
I'm in, because I graduate at the end of this month, and a job is the next natural step after that.  I hope everyone finds what they are looking for.  I find it interesting that the biggest complaint here so far is the lack of a challenge on the job.  A sense of accomplishment and overcoming adversity sounds like a prerequisite to an enjoyable work life.  That personally reinforces (for me) the idea that life is more about the journey/struggle than the destination/victory.  Needing a challenge on the job is also one reason (apart from salary) that I am not starting full-time work next week.  :/  I'd also like to move to the PNW, and finding a not-so-local job takes time.