Author Topic: No Clothes Shopping in 2014  (Read 177291 times)

happy

• Walrus Stache
Re: No Clothes Shopping in 2014
« Reply #500 on: October 06, 2014, 05:01:26 AM »
I've gone from probably 150 items to about 60
Good work Malaprop!
Not sure how many things I've got, but it could well be 150 or so, some possibly over a decade old. My allergies are playing up and I realised I have a  big dusty section of undisturbed clothes in my wardrobe - yikes how could it get so bad. So I'm going through that part, culling, or if keeping, I have to wash it, and if too small will pack them away. Washing it all is a pain, and reminds me I have too many clothes to maintain. Such excess, now that I really see it, is scary.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #501 on: October 06, 2014, 05:18:26 AM »
I may need some support through this one, but sign me up!

Exceptions: new bra or two depending on wear, cobbler for shoes if necessary.  I'm low on shirts but have enough dresses if I get a pair of tights or two - we'll see how it goes before making that purchase. 

I have a few purchases left in 2013 - sneakers, gloves for winter biking, bra. 

I've have almost two years to build a wardrobe and enough to get by at the very least.  Time to stop the building phase and enter the replacement phase!

I mentioned the semi-formal dress that got ruined by the tailor, and the Versalette already. 
I have pre-ordered a blazer and skinny jeans to replace a pair of reeeally worn out jeans and a blazer that was uncomfortable and ill fitting but they likely won't arrive until December. So, four items overall. 

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #502 on: October 06, 2014, 06:11:46 AM »
Progress report:  I am still going strong.  I bought a pair of flip flops about 6 weeks ago, but I don't consider those to be clothes.  That's it.  I have plenty of everything, so I think I will have no problem making it to the end of the year.

I was a bit worried that a pair of pants was getting worn out and might need to be replaced.  However, since I broke my leg on 9/7, I have been restricted to wearing shorts (because of bulky knee brace and orthopedic boot)--hence, that pair of pants is getting no more wear and tear for now!

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #503 on: October 23, 2014, 07:36:31 AM »
I have bought no clothes (remember that underwear and socks were not part of this goal).

I, too, will have no problem making it to the end of the year since I have plenty. In thinking about this challenge yesterday, I wondered if I could go all, or part, of 2015 as well. =-)

Paulie

« Reply #504 on: October 23, 2014, 08:54:56 AM »
I also want to look more carefully on what I'll be buying this year! Last year I spent about 600 usd on it I think, so that's not too bad, but this year my budget will be less. My exceptions are sporting shoes, one pair of jeans (because I just lost my favorite, it was really worn out), one sporting bra. I have enough undies and socks to last for a year. Besides these things, I'll 'give' myself 150 usd spending money for the whole year.

Good luck to everyone!

I didn't buy anything of my exception list yet, but I have spent about 90 dollar on clothing. 60 for a bikini (last one of the same brand lasted 5 years), 13 for a hat for our vacation and the rest of it on clothingdye so I could dye two pair of pants and there was no need for buying jeans.

I have a trip to Paris coming up, so I'm not sure that this will be all untill the end of the year.

Firefly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #505 on: November 06, 2014, 07:05:01 PM »
Soooo.... I kind of blew this no clothes buying challenge. I started the year really great. But then ended up loosing 25 lbs and found out that I have NOTHING to wear. After dropping 2 dress sizes, I had to get some new clothes. Not happy about spending money, but can't be too depressed about loosing weight. Stuff like jeans, underwear, sweaters, jackets had to be bought. For the skirts and some of my pants I found a solution - bought a relatively inexpensive sewing machine and going to alter them myself.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #506 on: November 06, 2014, 08:06:22 PM »
I have bought no clothes (remember that underwear and socks were not part of this goal).

I, too, will have no problem making it to the end of the year since I have plenty. In thinking about this challenge yesterday, I wondered if I could go all, or part, of 2015 as well. =-)

Me too. In fact since I've lost weight I've tons more clothes. So for 2013 and 2014 I have purchased bras, undies, pantyhose type sox, and an interview suit and blouse. No plans to buy anything this year and  I'm definitely keeping on in 2015.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #507 on: November 07, 2014, 07:06:27 AM »
I have not bought any clothes so far this year, and don't plan to in November or December.

My Physical Therapist suggests that I buy a new pair of shoes (to aid in my recovery from an ankle injury), but I plan to ignore her advice.  I think my old pair of New Balance running shoes ("Old Balance"?) are fine.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #508 on: November 07, 2014, 08:35:10 AM »
I bought a pair of tights and ballet slippers for ballet for class. I didn't have anything else that would have worked. I did, however, repurpose an old stretchy tank top I was using as an undershirt into a dance shirt rather than buy a new one.

shawn77777

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #509 on: November 12, 2014, 06:35:13 PM »
Well I joined another challenge tonight and might aswell not spend any money on clothes either and I spend to much anyway so I'm in till the  end of the year...

KBecks2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #510 on: November 19, 2014, 06:28:15 AM »
This challenge has been *very* inspiring and very helpful.  Although I've bought a few things (tennis shoes, jeans) I am living very successfully with what I have!  It's great! 

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #511 on: November 19, 2014, 08:37:24 AM »
I have not bought any clothes so far this year, and don't plan to in November or December.

My Physical Therapist suggests that I buy a new pair of shoes (to aid in my recovery from an ankle injury), but I plan to ignore her advice.  I think my old pair of New Balance running shoes ("Old Balance"?) are fine.

Shoes do wear out (the cushioning in particular becomes compressed and they no longer offer the shock absorption or support that they did when newer). Please don't ignore the advice of your health professionals, especially when the expenditure is so reasonable. You could find a new pair of really nice shoes on 6pm or at Nordstrom Rack for <$50 and it could save you a lot of pain and medical expense down the road.

Thanks for that advice.  I heeded it and bought a pair of Solomon trail hiking shoes.  Hopefully, I will get a couple seasons of hiking (12,000 and 13,000 foot mountain peaks) out of them.  And they do seem to be helping my foot/ankle.

I don't think I am counting shoes as clothing, though, so I am still doing well with this challenge!  :)

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #512 on: November 20, 2014, 03:56:53 PM »
I've had a few slips as well as made a conscious choice to buy some workout clothes/team training uniforms (massively increased the amount of sport played from once a fortnight to 2-3x a week), but overall I pretty much lasted until end of August (although I did end up buying a few things for/on the USA trip) and it's been a massive improvement on last year. I finally broke the "i'm stressed, I'll go shopping to feel better" habit. I did screw up and revert back to this briefly in Sept as I was going through a relationship break up, but I bought some work clothes which I did sort of need, so I don't feel terrible about it. And I straight away kind of went - WTF are you doing? So it's been a good habit breaker for me, even if not a total success.
I'm not sure if I'd get through a whole year next year either (On the basis of stuff breaking) but I think I'll be shopping a lot less than last year and hopefully even less than this year.

Also: Shoes are not clothing unless you are a "shoe person", replacement of functional shoes that have broken is allowed. Buying new Nikes because you totally want the pink ones isn't... but new trainers to replace your only pair which is old sounds fine to me :-) I'm currently dealing with my pretty crummy $15 trainers, on the basis that I really don't use them very much, if I start using them regularly then I can warrant a new pair of brand name trainers.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #513 on: November 27, 2014, 05:21:05 PM »
I finally broke the "i'm stressed, I'll go shopping to feel better" habit.

Me too!  I've purchased several items this year, including a gorgeous and expensive pair of boots, but each item was a more deliberate purchase, and I'm wearing everything I've purchased this year very frequently.

If I get anything else before the end of the year, it will be for our Peru trip in the spring.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #514 on: November 27, 2014, 08:19:40 PM »
I feel weird. I do my mom's holiday shopping so that means I buy presents from her to me. Yep. It's strange, isn't it? Seems normal to me now after several years. She insists I do this. I've gone back and forth with myself on the topic and came to the conclusion it's better to honor what she would be able to do if she could still physically run around and do her own errands. So, I do it. She's old. That's that.

What makes me feel weird is that I am buying some clothing now that she will be giving me. I feel like I am cheating. However, she would be the one buying this stuff if she could.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #515 on: November 28, 2014, 03:53:03 AM »
Well if you don't like what she gives you, you 've only got yourself to blame ;)

Heh, had a moment of temptation today, saw a fab suit for work, but did not buy. Wasn't too hard.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #516 on: December 02, 2014, 01:39:47 AM »
I caved and bought to fill some gaps, thanks to putting on a few kilos since the beginning of the year. Work has been... intense is probably a good description... for months and I tend to comfort eat when stressed. Not optimal, but there you go.

I have a fairly minimalist wardrobe (by mainstream standards, possibly not by hardcore minimalists) so putting on a few kilos meant that I can't comfortably fit into one of my 3 pairs of shorts (it's not a stretchy pair of shorts, sadly) and my only 2 summer pyjama tops (uncomfortably tight around my upper arms and affecting my sleep).

Work has been intense, and I didn't have time to trawl op shops (or even the mall shops) before we go on a holiday down the coast in the near future. The only shops which sell clothes and are open outside business hours near us are KMart and Target. I just bought 2 night shirts and a pair of shorts for $26 from KMart. I felt kind of wrong buying from KMart and buying in such a rush.

But, I'm at the point of only wanting comfortable clothes because I need them, not because I want them. I've never enjoyed the actual shopping for clothes thing, but I did use to enjoy having more clothes than I do now, even if some of them I rarely wore. So there's been a shift this year in focusing on not buying any new things. /rambling due to tiredness

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #517 on: December 04, 2014, 12:15:24 PM »
I am ready to do the 2015 version of this. Meanwhile I have not bought any clothes since the spring except for a bathing suit.

To tell you the truth I am salivating at the thought of being able to buy clothes in 2016 once the weight is all gone (must lose due to a medical thingy).  So  I feel like a bit of an imposter since my end goal is to buy a whole new wardrobe. 

I have clothes in different sizes for most seasons, it just depends on whether I will be the right size at the right time of year to take advantage of the clothes I have.

It will be bittersweet if  a shirt I love is the right size in the wrong season. I adore some of the pieces that are too small now.

I have lost 3 lbs so far and for the first time I can get into three shirts that were too tight across the bust when I bought them 18 months ago.  As I get smaller I will take the too big clothes to the thrift store immediately.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #518 on: December 04, 2014, 12:43:57 PM »
I bought one $5 bathing suit and one $205 jacket in the last 8 months. I can't be sure how much I spent on clothes for the first few months of the year, but it wouldn't have been much. But that jacket. I regret it. Stupid shiny impulse buy and I bought it 1 week before I discovered this blog and forum!

I'm signing up for 2015. :D

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #519 on: December 05, 2014, 09:36:17 PM »
I had to buy my husband a winter coat this week. He's from California and was totally unprepared for South Korean winters! I'm not counting it as a fail, though.

I'd do it again in 2015, but I might need to replace my black work socks...

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #520 on: December 06, 2014, 10:05:00 AM »
I must sadly drop out for 2015 - my minimalist wardrobe has had too many casualties and is in need of some replenishing (like, down to three shirts replenishing).  2014 has helped me crystallize what those pieces should be: a couple season-less dresses, not pants, a biking only pair of sandals to extend the life of my other shoes, and a few classic pieces for my wedding (getting a semi formal dress made in lieu of an single use wedding dress, new bra I've been putting off, and nude wedges to replace an extremely uncomfortable pair of heels that I sent packing this summer). 

2014 purchases: semi formal dress/tailor disaster from hell, Versalette, a pair of jeans, three tank tops (Black Friday) to help with the aforementioned shirt situation, and a structured jacket to replace two ill-fitting ones.  Total wardrobe is still below 40 non workout items so I'm not calling it a total loss.

I wish you all the best of luck!

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #521 on: December 06, 2014, 07:17:30 PM »
I'm up for 2015. I still have tons of clothes. I've reorganised my wardrobe with work clothes on one side and casual/wear at home items on the other.  I want my wardrobe to look like this:
http://theproject333.com/page/3/
I'll keep going til I can't. If I drop another 15 lbs, I think things will get sparse and very outdated and I will need to "break".

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #522 on: December 15, 2014, 01:33:39 PM »
I will absolutely join this challenge in 2015.  It's my biggest weakness!

Student

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #523 on: December 16, 2014, 12:47:32 PM »
Absolutely joining for 2015.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #524 on: December 16, 2014, 02:16:22 PM »
I'm in for 2015! I will exclude running shoes again this year.  I go through several pairs every year, and I love running too much to give it up. 

So far this year, I've been pretty successful.  I bought a few pairs of jeans on eBay, and I bought 3 pairs of running shoes (replace every 400-500 miles).  I did receive a few pieces of clothing as gifts.  My big slip up was buying a few new pairs of workout capris.  I love them, and I don't regret the purchase. 

For 2015, I don't need anything replaced except running shoes.  I'm ready!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #525 on: December 16, 2014, 02:45:25 PM »
In for 2025!  Feel free to check in with me then

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #526 on: December 16, 2014, 02:53:33 PM »
This is kinda scary (it's definitely a weak point of mine) but I'm in for 2015. I'll make exceptions for underwear, tights for work (I try to take good care of them but unfortunately they're still kinda disposable), and running shoes. I don't think I should need any exceptions other than that. Ahhh!!!

TonyPlush

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #527 on: December 21, 2014, 07:00:27 PM »
I did it!

$0 spent on clothes in 2014.

I actually never intentionally set this as a goal, but while summing up my year's spending in 2014 I noticed this neat little accomplishment. I did receive about 5 shirts and 1 jacket throughout the year as gifts.

In 2013, I spent $900 getting a post-college appropriate work and play wardrobe, so I'm definitely proud of the improvement.

zinethstache

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 1/27/2017
    • My FIRE Hobby and travel blog
« Reply #528 on: December 22, 2014, 03:37:49 PM »
Summary of how I did this year...
$1008 spent in total -

items already exempt or medically necessary-
$80 satin night shirts for post surgery moving, they were lifesavers!
$580 work boots and hubby shoes, 6 pair total, should last years
$60 underwear and bras - Macy's, it was time...should last a couple of years
$30 new poncho this winter for post surgery wear, new from Amazon*

splurges
$86 Work shirts hubby - new from duluth...Ack!*
$60 long sweater coat for work Amazon - this was a splurge item*
$ 896 - total new items

$104 used items from ebay
4 pairs of jeans, non horse riding style (boots go on the outside versus inside), which was all I've owned until now - I no longer can ride and the two styles are totally different.
a variety of shirts/sweaters

I am re-upping for 2015 this time no shoes or boots.
Undies as needed, but should not be much
DH will need a couple pr. pants and shorts... so say $150
Ebay goods ok within reason....

2015 goal is to avoid new clothing, use salvage or ebay for a fraction of the price.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #529 on: December 22, 2014, 04:49:53 PM »
I'm happy with how mine turned out. Not a no spend, but better for maintaining a professional wardrobe.

I bought one pair Dr Shoals black sneakers and gel inserts and have worn nothing else for work since it got too cool for the sandals I also bought. My plantar fasciitis seem to be cured since this.

I bought one dress blouse online from 6am (Jones New York no iron fitted for $19).

Four pairs men's Dockers (for me) from thrift stores, various prices, but nome more than $6.99. One new pair from eBay to get one of the no-fade ones in black because the black pair from this summer is now a faded gray, and none turned up at thrifts in three months of looking - $24.99.

The black women's slacks mentioned above this summer, $3.99 I believe at a thrift. Regret this since I have since discovered the Dockers.

I bought two packages of Hanes panties and threw out a bunch with holes.

One package of black socks.

One bright blue peacoat from the thrift store for 7.99, and two scarves for a dollar each. One pink sweater, also thrift, don't remember the cost, but between $5 and $10.

Nothing for him this year because he went back to wearing khakis to work, and he had lots. He needs socks, but not desperately yet.

Well under $200 for the year.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #530 on: December 22, 2014, 05:06:50 PM »
I'm very happy with this year's clothing expenses. We're at $110. That was socks and underwear for two people, plus three bras for me, and a pair of workout tights.

I was fortunate to receive gifts of two pairs of jeans for my birthday and a ballet leotard for Christmas, or I would have needed to buy those.

We got rid of a tremendous amount of clothing as well when we moved to a smaller apartment in the summer - several big garbage bags full.

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #531 on: December 22, 2014, 07:09:32 PM »
I was watching this challenge during 2014, and psyching myself to join in too. I'm definitely in for 2015.

I did ok this year: I paid $2.99 for the Style Book app halfway through the year and started taking pictures of my stuff and cataloging it. I opted to get rid of many old and not good items in the closet instead of taking the time to input them in the app. Similar thought process in acquiring new things - I said no to many low cost and free items because I was able to see if it duplicated what I already had and I didn't want the hassle of inputting new items that would only be short term solutions or only trendy for a season.  I did get some replacement items for worn out items that were trashed - a pair of winter/3 season boots and some shoes. I have repaired 7 pairs of shoes in the last 2 years! Guess I should not be surprised that a new pair was needed. Lots of refashion also happened, plus having a tailer alter a few items professionally.  I am close to having a Project 333 set up now.

2015 exceptions I'm allowing myself - new bathing suit (maybe), and a pair of work pants if I find the perfect ones for under $40

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #532 on: December 22, 2014, 07:30:06 PM »
I'm in for 2015.

I didn't participate in this challenge but didn't spend much this year because I lost weight and suddenly fit into clothes that hadn't fit for a couple of years.  And if I lose some more, I will fit into other clothes and shouldn't require any new clothes other than running shoes.

I may be okay for bras and I'm good for underwear.

But I do need to lose about 20 pounds to maximize what clothes I have left, so this is a good challenge and inspiration for me.  Two birds with one stone.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #533 on: December 22, 2014, 08:01:29 PM »
In 2014, I bought a waterproof jacket (on my list) and that is it. I repaired a ton of clothing, and made myself four new bras, but I didn't need to buy the materials because I already had them.

Not sure that I will need anything in 2015. I plan to make some underpants for which I already have the materials. I am traveling to Turkey, so I might need something for there (maybe a headscarf).

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #534 on: December 26, 2014, 07:38:20 PM »
Annual total $127.

I kept a list of additions to my wardrobe, including gifts and refashions. 

Great practice in mindful living.  Thanks for the challenge. 

I lost some weight and bought a few things that fit better at thrift shop.  Spent $24.11.  I was very intentional with those purchases and bought things that went into immediate rotation and have been favorites since.  Pleased with that.

I got rid of so many clothes.  I refashioned and mended quite a few things.  I do this regularly outside the challenge, but the challenge definitely made me more conscious. 

I bought several things that I allowed within the challenge including two pairs of sneakers that were needed for work and several bras.

My biggest slip up was a pair of a cheap heals for a wedding.  $30.  They do fill a hole in my wardrobe, so I'm not beating myself up over them.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #535 on: December 27, 2014, 06:10:57 PM »
Am I the only one who kept seeing this thread pop up and thinking it was about shopping in the nude?

Paulie

« Reply #536 on: December 28, 2014, 03:45:23 AM »
I spent a total of 80 EURO on clothes in 2014. Most of it (50) on a new bikini. I did get a new coat as a birthday gift and some shirts from my mother.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #537 on: December 28, 2014, 07:23:32 AM »
I kept to the challenge. So happy! I am not sure if I will continue into 2015 yet or not. If I do, I am going to buy a few items in early 2015 and then perhaps take the rest of 2015 off of buying new clothing for myself. Of course that means, I am not really going to do 2015 100% but maybe 95%.

I know I am spoiled, yet I am getting rather bored with my wardrobe. Probably, I need to be more creative with how I put items together.

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #538 on: January 14, 2015, 09:30:20 AM »
For 2014 I bought two clothing items: maternity swim top (reused the bottoms), and one nursing bra. That is it. I think that's pretty good condsidering I  was pregnant until the end of july!  I'm now wearing pre pregnancy clothes, so should be set for months.