Author Topic: Gauntlet: Long Term Net Worth Goals  (Read 259257 times)

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
Re: Gauntlet: Long Term Net Worth Goals
« Reply #100 on: June 18, 2014, 04:41:35 PM »
March 2017 will by my 30th birthday and my DW and I are planning on downshifting our life when the student loans are done. At that point, we'll have enough in the retirement accounts that we never need to save for a normal retirement again (they should grow to about $700k by the time we're 65). At that point we go to "only work enough to earn enough to live." I may go part time with my job and save a bit more or I might just quit for good and be a SAHD. We'll see. NW goals first.

That's awesome.  I love that "assets will grow to hit full FI without me touching them, so we'll just work the minimum amount for living expenses" idea.

I've heard a few people on here who have similar plans. I wish it had an acronym like FIRE though that was catchy. We won't technically be financially independent so I can't use that one. Maybe "downshifting" would work?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #101 on: June 18, 2014, 06:33:05 PM »
March 2017 will by my 30th birthday and my DW and I are planning on downshifting our life when the student loans are done. At that point, we'll have enough in the retirement accounts that we never need to save for a normal retirement again (they should grow to about $700k by the time we're 65). At that point we go to "only work enough to earn enough to live." I may go part time with my job and save a bit more or I might just quit for good and be a SAHD. We'll see. NW goals first.

That's awesome.  I love that "assets will grow to hit full FI without me touching them, so we'll just work the minimum amount for living expenses" idea.

I've heard a few people on here who have similar plans. I wish it had an acronym like FIRE though that was catchy. We won't technically be financially independent so I can't use that one. Maybe "downshifting" would work?

Yes, it's not novel, just neat. :)

It's closest to semi-ER.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #102 on: June 18, 2014, 06:46:39 PM »

We call it 'downshifting' and it's what we're thinking to do once barebones FI: let things compound for a couple of decades as we age, maybe dipping in now and then for 6 months/a year of travel or research projects. This would keep us working in our industries or let us experiment with new ones, and give us more padding once we're older and could use a bit more for healthcare etc.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: June 18, 2014, 06:52:11 PM »
Job situation still not settled, but most likely will only be getting a small promotion and a modest raise.  Feeling extremely burned out at the moment and not sure how much longer I'm willing to put up with everything.    Will take a fair amount of convincing to get DH to consider leaving paid employment, though. 

Yes, I think part of it is cultural, though ironically many people in China retire at 55 (his current age).  I think he also has an even worse case of "bag lady syndrome" than I do, and mine is a pretty serious case.  He also has a hard time with the idea of homeschooling, and there are no satisfactory school options in his hometown, so it has been hard to get him to see the "we'll sell the apartment in Beijing, buy a very nice place in hometown, and homeschool the kids while living off the profits of the apartment sale" option as being a viable one.  I have pitched the idea of us actually setting up our own international school in hometown to him, but he doesn't seem interested in that, either.  We'll see.  One thing I know about myself is that when things reach a crisis point I can be pretty intense about working out alternative plans.  I hope it won't get to that, but waiting to see what happens with the finalization of my role/compensation package.  The stress has been so high the past few months (I have had 4 months straight of working 10-12 hour days, including lots of weekend work that I don't get comp time for) that I am near the breaking point.  Just finished a major event yesterday and hopefully will have some other very stressful stuff wrapped up by the end of the week, so maybe that will help make things feel less dire. 

Can I ask what field your partner is in? I have a bit of a knack for helping people find jobs. 

It sounds like you've been stretched to the limit for some time now! Were you traveling a lot too? Hopefully as the summer goes on you'll be able to enjoy some of it. This time of year we get amnesia about Beijing winters, it's what got me signing a 2-year contract....

Thanks for thinking of DH, I will PM you.

Edited to fix quotes.

pka222

• Stubble
« Reply #104 on: June 18, 2014, 08:30:00 PM »
Ok - day late and a dollar short but my long term net worth goals are

Net Worth Stretch Goals:
(Current - June 2014) 320k
1 Year (June 2015) - 400k
2 Years (June 2016) - 500k
3 Years (June 2017) - 620k
5 years FI for sure
10 years 1,000,000 (insert evil laugh)

My goal will mean saving 4 full years of salary in 3 years (i.e. no spending).  My current spending/savings rate has us falling 120k short- so that is a lot of side work, good returns or making a real estate project I've been thinking about work out.  I'd be FI if I could pull off the stretch goal though.   

beege

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Fired during covid
« Reply #105 on: June 20, 2014, 07:20:40 AM »
Wasn't a really Mustachian at this time last year (maybe started scratching the surface a bit) but since then my SO and I have converted fully! After discovering MMM in September, we started the process around October last year and have continued to make improvements since. In that time, my SO negotiated to work from home full time, got a 7% raise while I started a new job. And we moved so that I could bike there. We have also done numerous other things to kill off bleeding expenses (reducing cell phone bills, power bills, etc) as well as concentrating on living a minimalist life (no TV, getting rid of unnecessary possessions). We just sold one of our cars yesterday, hope to sell my truck soon so we will be a one car household!

Saw this post and thought we might as well join in on the goals. Hope to check in next year (this is our joint NW):
(Current - June 2014) - 429K
1 Year (June 2015) - 600K
2 Years (June 2016) - 800K
3 Years (June 2017) - 1MM

Honestly those are a bit of a stretch, but I hope raises and our lifestyle changes (and market returns) may help us hit them. Though we are both relatively young (27) we have a few challenges in that we are paying for the mortgage for my SO's mother's place since she came to the US later in life to escape a war, raised 4 kids without a husband and has no retirement savings. That'll slow down our FI by a year or two (if we don't count that condo then our real NW number is the above minus 220K) but it's worth it to us. I also loaned my sister 60K to help her buy a house so I suppose that could be tacked on to our NW as well but I don't expect to see that money again for a long time (if ever).

ivyhedge

• Bristles
« Reply #106 on: June 20, 2014, 01:14:55 PM »
Next milestones:
$1.03m (current)
$1.7m
$2.4m
$3.4m
$4.7m

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #107 on: June 20, 2014, 02:02:47 PM »
Next milestones:
$1.03m (current)
$1.7m
$2.4m
$3.4m
$4.7m

No dates for those?   :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

ivyhedge

• Bristles
« Reply #108 on: June 20, 2014, 02:40:13 PM »
Next milestones:
$1.03m (current)
$1.7m
$2.4m
$3.4m
$4.7m

No dates for those?   :)

< 8yrs

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #109 on: June 20, 2014, 02:52:36 PM »
Our long term Net Worth goals are about as follows:
2014: $60,000
2015: $90,000
2016: $125,000
2017: $160,000
2018: $200,000
2019: $250,000
2020: $300,000

At $300,000 we could retire back to my wife's home country as yearly expenses would be around $12,000 for both of us, maybe less if living with family.  We'll probably evaluate our situation at that time and maybe keep working a couple more years, or possibly try to work/get a degree so I can teach English while back in Taiwan for some extra spending money if the market dips.

Wow, looking at these numbers they feel completely doable.  Thanks for this great thread!

KBecks2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #110 on: June 21, 2014, 01:08:10 PM »
This is a very interesting thread, but honestly I don't know what's are not worth the goal should be. Right now we are at around 800 K. While we have been working on reducing expenses and working on the budget, I don't know what our savings rate will be, or what's coming next.  Hmmm. You've given me something to think about.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #111 on: June 21, 2014, 02:47:56 PM »
This is a very interesting thread, but honestly I don't know what's are not worth the goal should be. Right now we are at around 800 K. While we have been working on reducing expenses and working on the budget, I don't know what our savings rate will be, or what's coming next.  Hmmm. You've given me something to think about.

Sounds like you have some fun planning to do!  :)

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #112 on: June 21, 2014, 03:00:20 PM »
Current NW 6/14 = $551k
YE 2014 goal = $600k
YE 2015 goal = $700k
YE 2016 goal = $810k
YE 2017 goal = $950k
Have no idea if this is realistic -- currently saving $27k to retirement/yr and paying down the mortgage by about $10-$15k per year, adding $3600 to college accounts per year (about to increase this as we add another child), so the remainder will have to be from market gains.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #113 on: June 21, 2014, 06:04:47 PM »
2017: $1M.
2027: $2.5M.

Well, the thread title does say "long term"...

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #114 on: June 22, 2014, 10:52:54 AM »
It is easy to become fixated on net worth. I am guilty of this.

In our mid 30's we hit the 1M net worth mark - then at 41 we crossed 2M. Sometimes I find myself adding up all our assets (there is no debt anymore) and just staring at the numbers, wondering how the heck we did this. But an impressive NW number alone would not let us retire early.

The fact that our investments currently generate about 5k in monthly dividends is the IMPORTANT number. Net worth numbers do have a WOW factor though.... though our net worth growth is about to slow tremendously as I am soon to be jobless - yay!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #115 on: June 22, 2014, 10:59:52 AM »
I disagree, Mr. Snow.  You're just talking yield on capital.  But to each his own, and anyways it's not on topic for this thread.  Congrats on the upcoming retirement.  :)

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #116 on: June 22, 2014, 11:43:37 AM »
Thanks ARS... sorry to stray off topic.

BTW, good to read a bit more about your own story. Somehow, even though you are probably the most visible member of the forum, I have missed the details of your own FIRE journey.

ichangedmyname

• Bristles
    • Luxe Frugality
« Reply #117 on: June 22, 2014, 11:49:33 AM »
12/31/13: $12,341
As of 06/22/14: $27,383

That's an increase of 220% :D
Goal for June 2015 is $50k

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #118 on: June 22, 2014, 11:49:52 AM »
Thanks ARS... sorry to stray off topic.

BTW, good to read a bit more about your own story. Somehow, even though you are probably the most visible member of the forum, I have missed the details of your own FIRE journey.

I enjoy commenting more on others than posting about myself, but occasionally I get the bug to post something, usually when asked a specific question by someone.  :)

Thedudeabides

• Stubble
« Reply #119 on: June 22, 2014, 12:54:30 PM »
This has been a really inspiring thread to read through. Well done to all!

I'll go ahead and throw in my goals even though I'm a bit late to the thread.

6/2014: $770k
12/2015: $1MM

If we have a major market correction I'll have to revise.

I also need to work on clearer goals for RE. I could easily see myself becoming victim of OMY syndrome.

gecko10x

• Bristles
    • SawyerPF
« Reply #120 on: June 22, 2014, 05:43:44 PM »

Further broken down goal (all End-of-year):
2013: $78k
2014: $105k
2018: $300k
2021: $550k
2025: $1m

The above goal was conceived early or mid 2012 @ ~$50k. Currently we are at ~$84k. It hinges almost exclusively on if my [amazing] wife can go from $0 income -> $50k/yr working from home in the next few years, so I already feel it's a bit of a stretch, but we are ahead of the curve so far, so that's a good sign.

Since it's coming up on 1yr since I posted this, thought I'd update: We hit $105 in January 2014 instead of Dec., so we are about 1yr ahead. However, I've revised down my investment return estimates, so shooting for $500k by 2021.

Eurotexan

• Stubble
« Reply #121 on: June 27, 2014, 12:10:02 PM »
Ok - day late and a dollar short but my long term net worth goals are

Net Worth Stretch Goals:
(Current - June 2014) 320k
1 Year (June 2015) - 400k
2 Years (June 2016) - 500k
3 Years (June 2017) - 620k
5 years FI for sure

10 years 1,000,000 (insert evil laugh)

My goal will mean saving 4 full years of salary in 3 years (i.e. no spending).  My current spending/savings rate has us falling 120k short- so that is a lot of side work, good returns or making a real estate project I've been thinking about work out.  I'd be FI if I could pull off the stretch goal though.

Hi pka222.. I have pretty much the exact same net worth as you do! I have never planned it out like this although I feel your savings rate is a lot higher than mine. Good luck to you, I will be following this thread with interest, would love to hit FI in 5 years :)

Rebecca Stapler

• Pencil Stache
    • Stapler Confessions
« Reply #122 on: July 04, 2014, 02:39:32 PM »
I would love to have a zero net worth by January 1, 2015. But that is a wee bit too ambitious, so I'll aim for:

1/1/15: -$50,000
1/1/16: $0
1/1/17: $100,000
Mid-2014 Check-in: We are currently at -$78,000.

Our goal for the year is to wipe out $24k in SLs, so that will get us pretty close to our -$50k goal. Now to make it happen ...

keith

• Bristles
« Reply #123 on: July 05, 2014, 12:57:37 AM »
Joining in on this thread a year late!

But the topic is especially relevant since I finally just hit 100k networth this week!! When I first joined the forums I had a negative networth, so I think this progress is worth celebrating.

I'm going to try and remember to check in each July on these goals.

Networth is currently climbing about 60k a year. Will try and at least hit these goals, with slight increases each year.

Today: 100k
July 2015: 165k (+65k)
July 2016: 235k (+70k)
July 2017: 310k (+75k)
July 2018: 390k (+80k)
July 2019: 475k (+85k)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #124 on: July 05, 2014, 01:26:25 AM »
That's awesome Keith, I love the goal to grow it every year (though hopefully with compounding it'll do that on its own, even if the amount you put in is flat). :)

keith

• Bristles
« Reply #125 on: July 05, 2014, 11:45:54 PM »
That's awesome Keith, I love the goal to grow it every year (though hopefully with compounding it'll do that on its own, even if the amount you put in is flat). :)

Thanks! Yeah with good market returns it should easily continue to grow each year with the compounding. These are pretty conservative estimates. I will probably make slight adjustments as I go, since they may end up being "too easy" - will find out next July!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #126 on: July 06, 2014, 12:16:00 AM »

Thanks! Yeah with good market returns it should easily continue to grow each year with the compounding. These are pretty conservative estimates. I will probably make slight adjustments as I go, since they may end up being "too easy" - will find out next July!

Or sooner, hopefully. ;)

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #127 on: July 06, 2014, 03:04:50 AM »
Yep, my year end goal of 900k changed to 950k. And yes (too me) a year seems LONG (term)when you're working OT, watching, and waiting for the increase!

Or sooner, hopefully. ;)

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #128 on: July 06, 2014, 08:10:22 AM »
These are guesses, but here goes:

NW July 2014:  $404,000
NW July 2015:  $465,000
NW July 2016:  $535,000
NW July 2017:  $615,000
NW July 2018:  $705,000
NW July 2019:  $805,000

I am confident of only the 1st number.  :)

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #129 on: July 06, 2014, 12:21:03 PM »
We hit the $2M mark for net worth this month and went out to dinner to celebrate. I ordered a glass of wine that was $25 and since this was a really good restaurant (and not pretentious) the wine really WAS great! Now I may seek out a bottle of it, it was a Silver Oak Cabernet. We've got about $1.5M in financial instruments. We are old and not retired--yet. but soon.  :)

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #130 on: July 06, 2014, 04:19:28 PM »
Congrats! I doubt if we'll ever hit 2m as I don't want to work that long. I'm not retired but I'm getting tired. Lol

We hit the $2M mark for net worth this month and went out to dinner to celebrate. I ordered a glass of wine that was $25 and since this was a really good restaurant (and not pretentious) the wine really WAS great! Now I may seek out a bottle of it, it was a Silver Oak Cabernet. We've got about $1.5M in financial instruments. We are old and not retired--yet. but soon.  :)

frogger

• Bristles
« Reply #131 on: July 06, 2014, 07:38:06 PM »
I almost feel like my numbers don't belong here, but I was just figuring this out last night, so I might as well play.

Current NW: -$8000

Jan 2015: $0
July 2015: $15,000
July 2016: $35,000
July 2017: $55,000
July 2018: $85,000

Kind of a middle of the road estimate. Could be cake if things work out one way, or a real stretch if they work out another. We'll see where I am in January.

RyanHesson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #132 on: July 07, 2014, 12:41:32 AM »
It's hard for me to set goals here, because really, my goals are "As much as possible." The other thing is that I can just increase risk to the level of the roulette table. I put 50K on a number and I have a 1/38 chance of being able to retire tomorrow. But, why not throw some number on here. I'm going to measure in Octobers because my birthday is in October.

July 1st, 2014: 50K
October 1st+between 0 and 30 days, 2014: 61K (24th birthday)
October 1st+, 2015: 113K (25th birthday)
October 1st+, 2016: 174K (26th birthday)
October 1st+, 2017: 243K (27th birthday)
October 1st+, 2018: 320K (28th birthday)
October 1st+, 2019: 410K (29th birthday)
October 1st+, 2020: 510K (30th birthday)

Some bad stuff happens along the way and I lose a good portion of that. But I retire October 1st, 2028, just before my 38th birthday. Or maybe some amazing stuff happens and I retire in a year. Who knows?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #133 on: July 07, 2014, 09:42:46 AM »
It's hard for me to set goals here, because really, my goals are "As much as possible."

Well sure, but setting hard numbers and then seeing if you meet, exceed, or fall short of them can let you see if your goals and projections are realistic, which can be useful for future planning.  "As much as possible" isn't as useful, though I agree that it's the best goal.  :)

The other thing is that I can just increase risk to the level of the roulette table. I put 50K on a number and I have a 1/38 chance of being able to retire tomorrow.

Okay, but that doesn't increase your risk-adjusted amounts.  The idea should be to maximize your net worth/decrease your time to FI.  The highest probability of doing that is not gambling.  So you should set goals around the plan that gives you the greatest chance, not the one that gives you a longshot.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #134 on: July 07, 2014, 11:01:08 AM »
Current projections show about $800K on 40th b-day, so stretch goal is $1M by then. Need to get a bit more aggressive I guess.

My #1 long-term net worth goal is > $0 on date of death. It doesn't get more long-term than that for me. : )

RyanHesson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #135 on: July 07, 2014, 12:45:24 PM »
Okay, but that doesn't increase your risk-adjusted amounts.  The idea should be to maximize your net worth/decrease your time to FI.  The highest probability of doing that is not gambling.  So you should set goals around the plan that gives you the greatest chance, not the one that gives you a longshot.

A gamble which gives you a 99% chance of a $1 gain and a 1% chance of a $200 loss is still a bad gamble, even though the chance of winning is high. And a gamble that gives me a 50% shot at $1M and a 50% shot of losing my current 50K and going 450K into debt isn't a good gamble either, even though the expected value is positive. Conversely, I'd take a gamble that gave me a 50% shot at gaining $1000 and 50% shot at losing $500, that's a wager I want to make. Though maybe I just don't know what "risk-adjusted amounts" means.

TJ79

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #136 on: July 07, 2014, 04:52:48 PM »
My NW Goals:

12/31/13: -71,000
07/01/14: 6,900 (current)
12/31/14: 42,000
12/31/15: 143,000
12/31/16: 241,000
12/31/17: 360,000

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #137 on: July 07, 2014, 04:57:56 PM »
My NW Goals:

Would love to hear how you gained 78k NW in only 6 months!  (And why you think you'll only gain half that, 35k, in the next six.)  That's pretty badass!  :D

TJ79

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #138 on: July 07, 2014, 08:59:20 PM »
My NW Goals:

Would love to hear how you gained 78k NW in only 6 months!  (And why you think you'll only gain half that, 35k, in the next six.)  That's pretty badass!  :D

Not nearly as badass as it seems. It was mostly due to a better than average annual bonus and a small inheritance. Now it's back to grinding it out the hard way.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #139 on: July 07, 2014, 10:36:54 PM »
The discipline to apply it to your debt is pretty awesome. :D

ReadyAimFired

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #140 on: July 08, 2014, 05:40:29 PM »
This is my very first post on this site (long time lurker) though I am a member of several other forums and some may recognize my name. I just wanted to put my $.02 in, though many of you would say to put those in an online savings acct they may be worth 10 bucks some day!!

Current net worth $575k
Our goal by end of year---$600k
End of 2015----$700k
By end of 2018---1,000,000 a number I never believed I would reach much less by the age of 44 and never making more than 68k. My DW also makes the same amount.  We save almost one entire salary per year and that total net worth includes NO homes. 1 pension plan, 1 Roth 457 plan, 1 401k, 2 roth iras, 1 taxable mutual fund, and cash holdings in online accts earning almost 1%.

Best of all.......ZERO ZERO ZERO debt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! party dance, party dance...now to kick that dr pepper habit....ugh..

Thanks for what you guys/gals do on this website.  It is an inspiration.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 05:42:20 PM by ReadyAimFired »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #141 on: July 08, 2014, 05:48:20 PM »
Well done, RAF!

Suit

• Bristles
« Reply #142 on: July 16, 2014, 08:13:38 PM »
This is awesome! I'm a bit late to the party but can I join? Or should I set up a new thread?

Absolutely!  If you weren't around at the time, or just never posted, feel free to chime in!  :D

Great, excited to join!

Current investments and cash: slightly over $96k
Student Loans: slightly over $127k

Goals:
100k investments and savings by end of July (I'll need the stock market to cooperate a bit!)
Positive net worth by my 30th birthday next July
200k investments and savings by July 2017

Today I hit 100k in investments and savings!!

Updated goals:
Positive net worth by next March 2015
200k in investment and savings by July 2016
1 mil in investments and savings by the end of 2025

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #143 on: July 17, 2014, 12:07:47 PM »
This is awesome! I'm a bit late to the party but can I join? Or should I set up a new thread?

Absolutely!  If you weren't around at the time, or just never posted, feel free to chime in!  :D

Great, excited to join!

Current investments and cash: slightly over $96k
Student Loans: slightly over $127k

Goals:
100k investments and savings by end of July (I'll need the stock market to cooperate a bit!)
Positive net worth by my 30th birthday next July
200k investments and savings by July 2017

Today I hit 100k in investments and savings!!

Updated goals:
Positive net worth by next March 2015
200k in investment and savings by July 2016
1 mil in investments and savings by the end of 2025

Congratulations!  I joined another thread for the race from 10k-100k.  You could pop in there too, but sounds like you'd be out of there in no time.  Keep up the great work!

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #144 on: July 17, 2014, 01:34:15 PM »
My long term goal is to have enough F-U leverage to work 20-30 hrs/week as soon as possible.  I'd then continue to save until I was completely FI in order to be more selective, take a sabbatical, volunteer for causes instead of part time work, etc.  I like the social aspects of work but not the 9-5 and limited vacation part.

That said (and a lot of this depends on whether I keep my current house as a rental, and what healthcare looks like), my long term goals

1.  Pay off family loan by 30, take that money and build taxable accounts.  At this point the house can become a profitable rental.
2.  Fully FI by 45, shooting for selective employment by 40. 

FU = 80k in taxable investments, enough for 3-5 years of expenses. 
FI w/ paid off mortgage = 325k
FI w/o paid off mortgage = 600k

The first goal is attainable, the second may happen sooner or later than current projections because 15 years is a lot to speculate from the beginning of a career.

On point for #1 and *may* be done early (that's on the back burner as the SO goes through grad school).
I think I might actually be ahead of target on #2, but keeping options open!

I hit a fun milestone last month - $100k in assets!  (technically it's a bit higher, but that figure only counts equity in the house rather than market value for extra motivation)  It's not net worth, just total assets, but it's a six figure number!

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #145 on: July 17, 2014, 01:38:19 PM »
I hit a fun milestone last month - $100k in assets!  (technically it's a bit higher, but that figure only counts equity in the house rather than market value for extra motivation)  It's not net worth, just total assets, but it's a six figure number!

Congrats! Feels good to hit nice round numbers. Keep stackin.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #146 on: July 18, 2014, 02:08:29 PM »
Congrats! Feels good to hit nice round numbers. Keep stackin.

Looks like you're about to hit a nice round number of posts!  I see you have 999 as of this writing.

jaizan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #147 on: July 20, 2014, 03:38:42 PM »
Target is $1.54 million by January 2017.

We count in British pounds where I live, so that's £1 million.  Am currently on track.

RyanHesson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #148 on: July 20, 2014, 05:05:23 PM »
Target is $1.54 million by January 2017.

We count in British pounds where I live, so that's £1 million.  Am currently on track.

The pound is $1.7088 or so at this moment. So your 1 million GBP will be about $1,708,800. Though who knows in 2017, but probably higher than $1.54 million.

Mazzinator

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #149 on: August 06, 2014, 01:46:56 PM »
Currently at NEGATIVE $60k net worth. ($97k debt in SL)

Hope to be -$20k by the end of this year. We just moved/downsized soooooo we should make this goal...

0 net worth early 2014
+$20k net worth July 2014
+$60k by end of 2014

These are very very rounded off numbers. We haven't even been in our new rental a full month yet... And we moved from VA to HI, so i still have sticker shock at the vhcol...

Feels great to just put it in writing!! I've been so focused just on the debt number that i rarely look at the positive numbers..

Did not hit the end of year goal of -$20k... Only made it to -$29k...set your goals high, right??

1 year update...

Savings $80,613
Student loans -$67,363

Net worth $13,250

Didn't reach this goal either...but ainokea (i don't care) It feels great to be in the positive!!! Only ~$7k off this time ;-)

Thinking end of year will be more like ~$45k...but we shall see...