Author Topic: Free Stuff to do for Entertainment  (Read 2219 times)

frugalkristen

• Stubble
Free Stuff to do for Entertainment
« on: December 26, 2018, 08:25:43 AM »
I really want to limit my entertainment expenses in 2019.  I don't always just want to stay in - what fun things can someone do without spending money?  A few things come to mind for me (going for walks, looking at open houses, and gardening).  I'd love more ideas so I don't fall back on bad habits.

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
Re: Free Stuff to do for Entertainment
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 08:35:50 AM »
Hiking, visiting free museums, library, YouTube(assuming you are paying for the internet already. Safe assumption as you are on the internet right now?), read the books collecting dust in your home right now.

Good luck with reaching your goal. We are in a similar boat.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 09:15:25 AM »
Netflix/Hulu login-sharing.
Library (free e-books, audiobooks, video games, movies, etc.)
Volunteer at an animal rescue/shelter - free puppy playtime!
Gardening (although it can have up-front costs)
Walking/hiking outside
Check your city/area's facebook page for free events
Cooking new dishes
Upcycling
Walking outside/hiking trails
Board games (Catan, etc.) check Meetups.com
etc.

KathrinS

• Bristles
    • A Chat with Kat
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 02:01:54 PM »
Great thread! Volunteering is awesome as a free, fun activity. I have done it regularly for quite a while now, and there are lots of options out there. Other than that: hiking, going for a walk, board games night, free events in town, de-cluttering (I‘m doing this at my mom‘s right now, and although she‘s quite organized, we found some fun things we‘d forgotten about), picnic at the park ..

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 09:21:36 PM »
Community movie nights/music nights at the park, museum passes from the library, free books and movies from the library, join a bicycling/hiking meetup, start a board game night/Dungeons & Dragons game night, have potluck dinners with friends, make videogame nights with friends, take free community cooking/knitting/crafting classes. There's a ton you can do.

draco44

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 10:03:12 PM »
+1 to the suggestions about reconnecting with your local library, volunteering, and looking up free events organized by your town/city (mine sometimes offers free 5Ks!). One other idea I don't see mentioned yet is to be an usher at theaters in your area. Many theaters let you see shows for free if you help seat people or collect tickets.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 07:57:05 AM »
Whats the climate like where you live? I believe in trying to adapt/allow yourself to be involved in as many outdoor activities that your climate allows. Everyone mentioned the Library and thats a great place to start as well as read your local community acitivy paper. There is always free stuff going on. Home Depots free "How to do things" and maybe challenge yourself to take on a task.

Kl285528

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2018, 08:06:32 AM »
For the performers among us, act in community theater, try open mike for musicians or comics. Actually, community theater needs people who do not want to be on stage, like tech crew, tickets, etc. Also, learn to play an instrument. Do it by yourself or with a friend. Churches and other flavors of religious institutions also have tons of ways to be involved, do good, and meet other people.

Dixie_Amazon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2018, 09:02:42 AM »
Our community theatre has a pay what you can dress rehearsal for most of their productions. I usually put in a few bucks, but I have seen people go in for free.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 09:18:44 AM »
Love this

-library hosted movie nights, game nights, talks by professors and of course.. heaps of movies, cds, books, maybe even a bookclub
-night walks by headlamp
-evening picnics by candlelight (using your normal dinner but eaten outside, no extra cost but extra delightful)
-hiking (joined a free club this year as my days off didn't coincide with my hiking friends --was able to visit quite a few new places)
-evening swims if you have water nearby, morning swims/dips are also one of my favorite free things

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!