Author Topic: Four Hour Body MMM-style  (Read 5237 times)

biglawsmallbudget

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Four Hour Body MMM-style
« on: November 23, 2013, 09:40:51 AM »
Long time reader, first-time poster here.

I've tried to do this diet/exercise thing for a couple of years now, with no luck. I work at a 10+ hour desk job (see name), and I really want to eat healthier/get fit. I read the Four Hour Body a couple of weeks ago, and I'm going to try it until the end of this year. I'm going to keep myself accountable by posting here.

Today is my first day of trying the 4HB MMM-style. What I will do today:

1) drink one gallon of water
2) breakfast = homemade blend of radishes/carrots/celery
3) lunch = lentils
4) dinner = lentils + basil chicken + fish

Current weight = 112 lbs
First goal = 105 lbs

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Four Hour Body MMM-style
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 09:43:14 AM »
no exercise?

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 09:44:00 AM »
A gallon of water??  Wowser.

biglawsmallbudget

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 09:58:35 AM »
@Russ -- I'm going to try the diet thing first. In the past, I've tried to do diet and exercise at the same time, and I always manage to fall off the wagon. This time around, I'll try to ease into one thing at a time.

@NinetyFour -- Yes. We'll see if I can pull that off today.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 10:31:54 AM »
I really want to eat healthier/get fit.

Current weight = 112 lbs
First goal = 105 lbs

Does your numerical goal, at the end, align with the overall goal, stated first?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 11:03:09 AM »
IIRC, the 4HB meal prescription was legume+meat+veggies for 6 days, then a refeed. That's really just picking nits though... "I got fat eating vegetable and lentils" said no fat person ever.

JamesAt15

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 09:07:06 PM »
BLSD - first off, good luck with the new diet. The first few days can be trying, as you wean yourself off of carbs. I got headaches, but it let up pretty quickly after the first day or two. (I did the 4HB style diet for a while a year or two ago but did not stick with it in the long run.)

You might want to check for forums specifically dedicated to those following the 4HB - the one I know of is 4 Hour People.com. They should be able to answer any questions you have about the diet and provide a lot more encouragement.

I notice you didn't list any protein source for your breakfast meal. IIRC, you're supposed to have 20 or 30g of protein in the first 30-60 minutes after waking, so you might want to include something in your breakfast to bring that protein up. (Eggs or canned tuna or something like that.)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 06:44:25 AM »
I really want to eat healthier/get fit.

Current weight = 112 lbs
First goal = 105 lbs

Does your numerical goal, at the end, align with the overall goal, stated first?

This.

Weight loss isn't necessarily indicative of health or fitness.  I think a sensible diet + exercise would probably make you much fitter and healthier. 

As far as the amount of water that you need, this varies depending on the person.  A 300 lb linebacker who's exercising heavily will have drastically different water needs than a 100 lb desk jockey.  I mean, it's not likely that you'll hurt yourself by drinking tons of water, but it's not going to make you any healthier . . . seems like focusing on important things would probably be a better use of your time.  If you're worried about dehydration, check your pee.  Dark yellow, strong smelling pee is indicative of dehydration . . . light coloured mostly odourless is indicative of correct water consumption.  That at least works for everyone.

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 06:56:44 AM »
Hoping there's some more dietary fat + carbs past day 1, if this is what the whole thing looks like you are going to be unbelievably miserable.

DTown

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 11:17:00 AM »
I'm in agreement with GuitarStv. For some reason I've never understood, people are always overly concerned about how much they weigh, even though the number is mostly irrelevent to their health, well-being, and how they look. Instead of losing weight, what if you stayed the same weight but got stronger, faster, more flexible, and lost some fat? I'd highly recommend thinking 'athlete' rather than 'model'. Athletes are cooler anyways :)

Also, the diet you listed has very little fat, enough protein, and lots of carbs. The only real fat source you have is fish. Fat is an essential nutrient for your health and well-being. It has been vilified by media, but it is not what causes people to become overweight. Would you consider eating a small handful of nuts in place of some lentils?

And as other posters have already mentioned, if you really want to make a difference, exercise is not optional.

martynthewolf

• Stubble
    • The Frugal Wolf
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 01:51:41 AM »
This thread reminded me of "The Butterfield Diet" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWgwJfbeCeU

aglassman

• Stubble
    • Milwaukee Maven
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 11:01:29 AM »
I really liked the 4HB, but it just wasn't sustainable for me.  I always felt hungry even though I was eating a ton.  I did lose a lot of weight.  Went form 230 to 208.  Once I stopped, I went back up to 215 (over about a year).  Since, I've now been avoiding sweets, and watching how much I eat.  I also have manned up, and allowed myself to fell hungry between meals, which has helped (snacks were my downfall).   Also, I started a total body weight lifting routine that I do 2-3 times a week (2 more often then 3).  Doing this, I'm down to 197, but I can tell my fat% is much lower, and I've added a lot of muscles.  So don't assume the diet is a silver bullet. In your case, as you are a small person, I could see weight lifting and general healthy eating being enough.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 11:03:24 AM by aglassman »