Author Topic: Fitness 2020  (Read 23219 times)

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Fitness 2020
« Reply #200 on: February 29, 2020, 02:24:46 PM »
#1: I just did 70 pushups (over three sets with <30sec breaks) yesterday morning, so that's a new record.

#2: I can now consistently swim laps at a pace of ~2:30 per 100yd (not meters). This is....acceptable. I'm planning to keep practicing, while starting to focus on other water stability/rescue exercises-- treading water, swimming/stopping/swimming, flip turns/underwater swimming, etc. Also am slowly working on teaching the two kids to swim-- I figure that once they have the basics down, "practice" shouldn't be too much of an issue, given how much they love going to the pool.

#3: I actually touched my toes the other day, so that's a milestone! Also, I can now actually feel which muscle areas are paining me.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #201 on: March 02, 2020, 11:49:36 AM »
Two months in. 

1. Bench press double my weight (or the equivalent with 5 reps)
BW: 158.5 lb -> 159 lb
Bench: 235 lb x (8, 6) -> 235 lb x (8, 7)
1RM equivalent: 292 lb

2. 8 pull-ups with 100 lbs extra
7 reps x BW+90 -> 8 reps x BW+90

3. Improve dead lift rep weight by at least 30 lbs.
325 x (4, 3) -> 335 x (5, 3)

Bench stalled as predicted due to 10 days off, but I did improve my deadlift slightly (days off were skiing, and I do get a decent leg workout there).  Hopefully I can make some gains in March, though I'm going to be traveling (for work) for half the month and will have to be very disciplined in seeking out gyms.  Hotel gyms aren't really sufficient for me, though I'll use them in a pinch.

k9

• Bristles
« Reply #202 on: March 03, 2020, 03:49:15 AM »
I did about 2 months of the Simple & Sinister KB program by now.

I'm now starting to incorporate a pair (i.e one set on each side) of 10 one-handed swings with a 32kg (and this is really hard so far), and 4 pairs of 10 one-handed with a 24kg. I do all my TGU with a 20kg now. Two months ago, when I was having a hard time with 20 kg for swings and 16 kg for TGU, I wouldn't have expected to get there so fast.

KBs are great guys and gals, don't hesitate, this is really a worthy investment, and I indeed think this is a very mustachian way to work out. I keep them in my living-room, so it's very easy to get motivated.

Eucalyptus

• Bristles
« Reply #203 on: March 06, 2020, 05:23:29 PM »
I did about 2 months of the Simple & Sinister KB program by now.

I'm now starting to incorporate a pair (i.e one set on each side) of 10 one-handed swings with a 32kg (and this is really hard so far), and 4 pairs of 10 one-handed with a 24kg. I do all my TGU with a 20kg now. Two months ago, when I was having a hard time with 20 kg for swings and 16 kg for TGU, I wouldn't have expected to get there so fast.

KBs are great guys and gals, don't hesitate, this is really a worthy investment, and I indeed think this is a very mustachian way to work out. I keep them in my living-room, so it's very easy to get motivated.

This is awesome K9, keep it up!
I've had a busy couple of weeks with study and work and only gotten in a couple of easy gym workouts.
I'll hit the Simple and Sinister a couple of times this weekend at home.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #204 on: March 25, 2020, 11:47:29 AM »
Is everyone managing to keep up with fitness goals?

Mine haven't changed much since I've always worked out at home.  I was slowed down over the last week as I was under the weather for a bit, but trying to stick with it.  We have a very small home, so trying to keep the noise down while my now-working-from-home husband is on video calls or what have you.  But, the workouts are valuable in helping to stay sane and healthy and have some time away from the infinity scroll of info on coronavirus.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #205 on: March 25, 2020, 12:41:51 PM »
I definitely need to get started again.  I had a mole removed from my thigh a few weeks ago, but they told me not to strain the stitches at all while it was healing.  I just took the stitches out today, so I don't have an excuse to not squat anymore :)  I've been doing yoga with my 3.5 year old, and some KB swings with my 35 lb kb, but very inconsistently.

Being at home with my 3.5 year old and 1 year old is also not doing great things for my diet.  I graze when I'm stressed or bored, and hanging out with toddlers all day is not exactly low on either of those scales, lol.  It doesn't seem fair that you can be bored and stressed at the same time.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #206 on: March 25, 2020, 12:48:06 PM »
Yep, still at it, although the pool is still closed and the gym is now closed as well, so it's down to Pilates, walking, and stair climbing

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #207 on: March 26, 2020, 01:27:40 AM »
Really trying to focus in on the PT exercises...the pain has come back.  I knew I'd only built up the minimum muscle strength required to end the pain, so this is not really a surprise.  Had a 3-day streak, but missed today.  Going to see if I can get a 4-day streak starting tomorrow.

It's all elastic band and body weight exercises, so no pandemic excuses are valid, lol.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #208 on: March 26, 2020, 10:05:03 AM »
Yep, still at it, although the pool is still closed and the gym is now closed as well, so it's down to Pilates, walking, and stair climbing
Good to keep at it!

I stopped going to the gym before it closed.  Now, I'm combining running (paid for a training plan) of 3x a week with lifting 2-3x a week and "other".

Tue (speed work), Thu (other), Sat (long) - running, while distancing
Mon, Fri - weightlifting.  I have beachbody on demand, currently doing LIIFT4
Weds - hip and core work to support running, with other stuff thrown in there*
Sun - probably walking and yoga

* There are a few gyms in town, including the YMCA, that are streaming their workouts.  Others are actually posting daily workouts on IG.  So sometimes I throw a few of the exercises from their IG postings into my day.

The kids are:
- doing Ring Fit adventure on the switch (7 yo)
- jumping rope and doing pushups, or going for walks (14 yo, with the husband) - there are talks of bike rides, but that hasn't happened yet.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #209 on: March 29, 2020, 03:07:07 PM »
Is everyone managing to keep up with fitness goals?

Mine haven't changed much since I've always worked out at home.  I was slowed down over the last week as I was under the weather for a bit, but trying to stick with it.  We have a very small home, so trying to keep the noise down while my now-working-from-home husband is on video calls or what have you.  But, the workouts are valuable in helping to stay sane and healthy and have some time away from the infinity scroll of info on coronavirus.

I'm keeping up my workout frequency.  I have serious doubts that I'm keeping up with my goals, though, as my goals were related to the big lifts that I don't have the equipment to do at home.  I have a solid pair of adjustable PowerBlock dumbbells that are nice but don't quite go heavy enough for me anymore for some lifts.  Also bought a knockoff TRX set that I'm alternating workouts with.  Kind of fun to figure out the new ways to workout using it, but there's no way that my deadlift is being maintained, much less improved. 

Also riding my bike far less with no commuting (and now, no errands as we're starting grocery delivery) to do.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #210 on: March 30, 2020, 11:31:20 AM »
Our gyms closed down last week, so I'm glad that I never got around to selling off my very basic free weights like I was thinking about.

I can still do 90% of my gym workout stuff, and am actually walking more since DH is teleworking as well, and he religiously walks 3x a day during work breaks.

Getting into a routine has been kind of awkward, but now that I know we'll be teleworking for at least a solid month,  I need to just pick a schedule and stick to it.

Eucalyptus

• Bristles
« Reply #211 on: April 01, 2020, 07:33:53 AM »
Have to admit I've been off my fitness game the last couple of weeks with all the chaos from COVID-19. Been working extra shifts at the COVID hospital for our state.

My deadlift goal will have to go on hold now...no gym access.

I put my chinupbar back up tonight and cranked out a few. Need to keep on top of it. And get back on the kettlebells... just the 32kg and 16kg at my disposal now. But that's enough.

Eucalyptus

• Bristles
« Reply #212 on: April 09, 2020, 08:40:21 PM »
How are all your COVID-19 isolation workouts going?

MMMdude

• Bristles
« Reply #213 on: April 09, 2020, 08:44:05 PM »
How are all your COVID-19 isolation workouts going?

For me they're not.  Still slippery and icey where I am so running is tough.  Anyone have a good daily youtube channel for fitness??

Eucalyptus

• Bristles
« Reply #214 on: April 09, 2020, 08:48:24 PM »
I've been working on my running more, and seeing some progress. I'm running well, with good cadence, and with reasonable speed as well. So I'm getting confident that I should easily be able to meet my 2020 goal on that front (10km in under 1hr).

Deadlifts: as mentioned can't work them without the gym. And with my 16kg and 32kg KBs its hard to train without a 24kg in the middle...progressing well to the 32kg is a challenge. So I've devised a 6 week program to bridge the gap (I'm about to do the 5th day):

Each day of reps is generally broken up into sets of about 20. Its up to me on the day how I break them up but I'd never bother doing less than 10 reps in a set. Double or single handed, I mix it up based on what I feel. The idea is to build up volume, and particularly early on the volume in the 16kg KB swings will hopefully help me with being able to handle bigger and bigger workouts each week with the 32kg. So far I've been using a simple timer to keep to a reasonable pace.

Week 1 (Mon-Fri)
100reps 16kg, 200reps 16kg, 300reps 16kg, 400reps 16kg, 500reps 16kg

Week 2 (Mon-Fri)
100reps 32kg, 200reps 16kg, 300reps 16kg, 400reps 16kg, 500reps 16kg

Week 3 (Mon-Fri)
100reps 32kg, 200reps 32kg, 300reps 16kg, 400reps 16kg, 500reps 16kg

Week 4 (Mon-Fri)
100reps 32kg, 200reps 32kg, 300reps 32kg, 400reps 16kg, 500reps 16kg

Week 5 (Mon-Fri)
100reps 32kg, 200reps 32kg, 300reps 32kg, 400reps 32kg, 500reps 16kg

Week 6 (Mon-Fri)
100reps 32kg, 200reps 32kg, 300reps 32kg, 400reps 32kg, 500reps 32kg

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #215 on: April 10, 2020, 05:00:18 AM »
I was doing really well, and then I horribly injured myself, which is a common risk for me, and very very easy to do.

I'm able to walk again though, and was finally able to get outside again yesterday for a slow-paced walk, which was great as I had been stuck in bed immobile for awhile.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #216 on: April 10, 2020, 10:26:28 AM »
I was doing really well, and then I horribly injured myself, which is a common risk for me, and very very easy to do.

I'm able to walk again though, and was finally able to get outside again yesterday for a slow-paced walk, which was great as I had been stuck in bed immobile for awhile.
Hey, this is good progress!

My running coach checked up on me yesterday.  I paid for virtual training program for a race in May, which is now October.  So, as I'm now stressed with FT WAH and homeschool 2 kids, I've decided to be kind to myself.

I'm doing the Tues speed work.  I'm running Thurs also, but shorter than prescribed (it's usually 5+ miles, I'm sticking to 4 to 4.5).  The weekend mileage is obv not going to be 9-12 like it would be for a half.  I'm doing more 5-8.  Enough to burn off the crazies without exhausting myself.

I'm finding it increasingly difficult to physical distance on my runs...I live in a packed neighborhood, and unless I get started at 6:30 am, by the end of my run (esp weekend), I have to dodge people.  I mostly run in the middle of the street.

I cannot run in a mask as it steams up my glasses.  I wear a buff and just pull it over my mouth if I come upon people (and also give them distance). 

I lift weights 2x a week with my dumbbels.  I have 2 kettlebells, (15 and 25 lb).  I really need a 16 kg and a 20 or 24 kg for swings.  Not really available right now.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #217 on: April 10, 2020, 11:21:59 AM »
I have a home gym, barbell and all, but I'm having a lot of trouble finding motivation/time to actually lift while WFH with a 4 year old and a 1 year old. 

I've been doing yoga every day this week during our afternoon rest time, and I'm going to do my best to incorporate some KB swings before my sessions starting today.  I need to start doing more things for myself, besides staying up until midnight reading and regretting it in the morning, lol.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #218 on: April 10, 2020, 02:08:04 PM »
Managed 240 solo bike km this week.  Figure I have to get as many rides in as possible before the inevitable full lockdown in warmer months as people start ignoring social distancing because the weather's nice.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #219 on: April 11, 2020, 09:10:16 AM »
My biggest motivator for getting fit was that I was planning to start riding my big, athletic 4 year old horse this spring.  Now that is on hold since we all need to avoid activities that might send us to a doctor or ER. 

Tweaked my shoulder a bit and I'm trying to give it some time before I get back to the kettlebells. I'm also shifting more to running - 2x a week wasn't cutting it to get to the pace I want anyway, so I'm trying for 3x a week.  I'm still riding my older horse, walking at least once a day, and now it's getting into gardening season so I'm out weeding, pruning and cleaning up.

We're supposed to have 40 mile an hour winds this afternoon, so I'm going to see what sort of indoor workout I can do while avoiding extending my shoulder (it is starting to feel better).  At least core and some lower body stuff should be OK.

Eucalyptus

• Bristles
« Reply #220 on: April 11, 2020, 10:20:20 PM »
My biggest motivator for getting fit was that I was planning to start riding my big, athletic 4 year old horse this spring.  Now that is on hold since we all need to avoid activities that might send us to a doctor or ER. 

Yes avoiding more risky activities is a very good idea right now. I certainly won't be trying to teach myself new KB moves.

Improving general strength and cardiovascular fitness in a safe manner is a good idea though... that little bit of extra lung capacity comes in handy if you get a respiratory illness. Fitness also generally helps the immune system.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #221 on: April 12, 2020, 06:33:50 PM »
Yep, bike ride Friday, yoga Saturday, then it all kind of fell apart.  Saturday museum walking plans were cancelled, and I didn't find an alternative activity.  Kind of told myself that I'd rest up & make the early Sunday class, but that didn't happen.  Then Monday was enforced fast/rest for a medical test.  But, got back on the bike today for a ride 2x as long as last week.  It was fun!

I'm not kicking myself for the 2 days off, as the pain in my shoulderblade has finally decreased.  Originally I was thinking it was just stiff from being slept on wrong, but it went on so long I think it was some kind of strain.  It's feeling noticeably better today.  Hurray!  Maybe running tomorrow?

Wow, I haven't checked in here for too long.  I'm still riding my bike, going for a bit longer distances now (20 miles) a couple times a week.  I found a buddy in another town and we're riding "together".  That is, we leave at the same time from our respective houses, go on whatever ride we want, then check in with each other at the end.  It's good for accountability!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #222 on: April 12, 2020, 10:25:05 PM »
Improving general strength and cardiovascular fitness in a safe manner is a good idea though... that little bit of extra lung capacity comes in handy if you get a respiratory illness. Fitness also generally helps the immune system.

For sure!  The information that keeps coming out on Covid mortality risk factors really underscores the benefits of maintaining general good health for whatever comes.

To that end - ran 4 miles today without any walk breaks. 10:30 pace.  Hoping increasing from 2 to 3 runs a week I'll get under 10:00 pretty quickly.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #223 on: April 12, 2020, 11:10:02 PM »
I took a bike ride today and there was one pretty steep hill....I had to get off and walk the last 20 feet or so :(  I mean, for the number of weighted squats and lunges I do...I just can't believe my legs are always *wrung out* when we ride with small amounts of hills.  What am I doing wrong?

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #224 on: April 13, 2020, 12:17:16 AM »
I took a bike ride today and there was one pretty steep hill....I had to get off and walk the last 20 feet or so :(  I mean, for the number of weighted squats and lunges I do...I just can't believe my legs are always *wrung out* when we ride with small amounts of hills.  What am I doing wrong?

I am no expert, by any means.  Two things that have been my undoing have been not enough rest beforehand and not the right gearing on the bike.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #225 on: April 13, 2020, 03:04:25 PM »

I am no expert, by any means.  Two things that have been my undoing have been not enough rest beforehand and not the right gearing on the bike.

Many people fail to gear easy enough on a hill, then overcook in the first 1/3 or so.  When going up a new hill that seems like it's steep I've always found it prudent to climb slowest over the first half . . . then you can crank up the intensity on the second half if you're feeling it.  If you go into it too hot you don't have much in the way of bail out options.  :P

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #226 on: April 13, 2020, 03:24:27 PM »

Many people fail to gear easy enough on a hill, then overcook in the first 1/3 or so.  When going up a new hill that seems like it's steep I've always found it prudent to climb slowest over the first half . . . then you can crank up the intensity on the second half if you're feeling it.  If you go into it too hot you don't have much in the way of bail out options.  :P

Haha, this reminds me that my bike is missing both the upper and lower 1/3 of gears.  The shifter hasn't worked since I inherited the bike from a friend about 5 years ago.  So yeah...you can tell I'm not a serious cyclist.  And I've gotten so used to my limited gears that I honestly thought using the easiest gear I had access to should be good enough.  I'm still kinda miffed it isn't.  I mean, it was a short hill and only "rather" steep, not like the steepest thing ever!  And I do a *lot* of squats and lunges!  But I have to admit here that you guys hit immediately on at least one right answer without even seeing my bike or knowing me!

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #227 on: April 13, 2020, 05:52:16 PM »
I'll share. I'm trying to take fitness more seriously and strategically. Here's some things I'm proud of so far and progress I've made.

Measurements/Weight
- I took measurements on January 17 and again the April 3. I was surprised to see that despite inconsistency in weight training and my workout plan, I made some progress. I tried to keep generally active with the jog here and there and kept up with healthy eating so I think that's why. I lost 0.5" from my natural waist, 1" from my waist area (measured across the belly button), 1" off my hip, 0.25" off my calf, 0.5" off my bicep (while retaining the muscle), and 0.5" off the widest point of my thighs.
- I finally got a scale delivered March 28th and since then have lost 5.5-6 lbs of fat! I don't believe much of that is 'water weight' because I don't tend to bloat much anymore from cutting out excess sodium and drinking more water.
- According to the scale, my body fat has dropped from 20.1% to 19% fat. Woohoo! I think my muscles are more visible, but I would like to be able to see more, and without necessarily having to flex first. :) I took some 'before' photos so track this progress.
- Thighs feel like bricks. They use to be strong when I commuted by cycling, but then got a little soft for several months from not cycling to work anymore due to getting a different job that is a 5-min walk from home. Now that I've been doing regular training and HIIT + circuit style cardio that involves lots of leg-related things and plyometrics, they feel stronger and more solid after a few weeks of following a routine. Is muscle memory really a thing?

Diet
- In the last 3-4 weeks I started regularly tracking my food and started specifically eating in a calorie deficit of about 20% from my 'maintenance' calories. I surely must have been eating a quite a bit more than maintenance (generally probably 300-600, or more maybe depending on the day?) because I would often out-eat my husband, so the deficit so far must be a little bit more than 20% especially with exercise. I cut the habit of mindlessly eating fruit whenever I wandered into the kitchen, too.
- In the last week and a half I started paying attention to macronutrients (calculated via Cronometer food tracking). I feel like it helps me to understand the quality of my food better so I can make more strategic decisions. This has been very helpful for me, especially because I realized that as a small person I can't necessarily burn as many calories as bigger people because my BMR is just so low, so the volume of food needed for me is quite lower than I realized. :( But despite eating in caloric deficit, I am not hungry. I also measure all my portions with a food scale.

Some General Fitness Things I Noticed
- My core strength has improved so much especially in the last month. In mid-January when I started working out again, I could not do a straight-legged sit up without struggling, and my legs kept popping up off the floor. It was extremely difficult to accomplish with any semblance of good form, and my abdominals would burn intensely. I was trying to follow a workout program and was convinced this was not a beginner move. I couldn't even do the sit up version with the legs bent without my legs coming up from the floor. What can I say? My core was insanely weak. I also remember mountain climbers of all kinds and planks being pretty hard. Also, a month ago I had extremely difficulty doing a bird-dog/plank reach with the opposite arms and legs off the floor at the same time. And I couldn't do a version of the plank reach where you raise on arm in front of you but keep the two legs on the ground, either. And especially not the version where you put your arm forward, then to the side, and to the back in one go before alternating. Nope. Core would buckle *every time.* Now I'm glad to say I can do the plank reaches, and the straight leg/bent leg sit ups are super easy now. But I still wobble a bit with the bird-dog version. I am going to keep working on that one.
- I can run without wanting to stop! Doesn't mean I'm not tired, but I'm going to keep trying to work on my pacing. From January-early March I still had to take breaks and struggled even to run 5-10 minutes. This weekend we went for a run after not having done it for a month, and I surprised myself. I am thinking this is because I have been working on my overall cardio fitness level with other workouts. Yesterday my husband and I ran 2.39 miles and on my first split I ran the slower pace of his slower split, lol. This is amazing to me because usually we start out jogging, and then he gets further and further down the block until I can't even see him anymore. Now I'm more like, just one city block behind him. And this is with us attacking the hills over and over again.  I woke up this morning and jogged a 5k, and my splits got progressively faster instead of slower. (But I didn't do hills as much.)

Goals:
- My lifetime goal is to have a ridiculously strong back/core. I swear, if I ease up on fitness for even a little bit, I always 'feel it' in the lower-left of my back. Not pain exactly... Just something not good. So I will try consciously incorporating core-specific strength routines 5-6 times a week instead of pretending I'm training my core through compound movements, lol, even though those are important, too. After working in big offices with coworkers that have complained about horrible things such as herniated disks, I am scared straight of ending up with issues like that.
- Lose 2.5" off my waist. I am not exactly 'fat,' but I certainly don't feel comfortable in my jeans anymore, even if I can zip them up. They are the unforgiving, non-stretch variety.
- Have bigger, stronger deltoids. Also, develop those back muscles.
- Incorporate more cardio boxing. It's such a big calorie burner for me because it requires the entire body.
- Increase my daily NEAT. Exercise sessions are great but I'm realizing recently that NEAT is also important.  Yesterday I cleaned out one of our closets and did dishes/chores. I burned 2-3x as many calories than laying around playing Animal Crossing and I actually became tired. I know, it's not shocking that doing stuff vs laying around burns more calories, but it's a bit of a revelation to me to see proof of what NEAT can do for you. (I got this information from a Fitbit chart that displays data of hourly calorie burn that I never looked at before yesterday). So I guess this means I should be better about doing chores, every day. Yesterday, I did a workout while checking out some netflix shows. Today during a videoless weekly conference call, I shadow boxed while listening to people talk, lol.
- Get better at pushups! I haven't actively worked on this goal. I think I could do it before, but my form has declined since then.
- Run a 9:30 minute mile. I don't need to be the fastest person, so I feel like this is a good achievable goal for me.
- Be strong enough/have the endurance for upcoming backpacking trips and long day hikes, especially of the alpine variety, hopefully soon after the shelter-in-place orders are over. I don't really know what this entails, but I remember doing a hike a while back up a peak and while we did make it, I was dragging my feet the entire time and some people completely the trip wayyy faster (according to Alltrails reviews, lol). I'm not really the type to try to hike as many miles as fast as possible or anything just to get vanity miles and just want to enjoy the trip, but I do want to be fit enough to not have it feel like total torture.
- Be better at swimming efficiently and actually learn to tread water. So, I can kind of swim to survive, but I can't really tread water... Can't work on this for a while for obvious reasons but it's one of those lifetime goals. I also hope to be able to swim in open waters comfortably because in the future when I travel, I really want to be do diving, try out surfing, and swim in lakes (that is, once I get over the fear of not being able to see the ground...?)
- Luckily, I already have adjustable dumbbells (Powerblocks) for working out at home, but in the future I'd really like to get a jump rope, barbell with plates, and an adjustable bench for weight training. Generally, I turn myself into a table using a Swiss ball for things like chest press, chest fly, and overhead dumbbell pullover, but you can't do incline presses on them, so it'd be nice to have an adjustable bench.

Someone was asking about free workout videos. I like Fitness Blender and Hasfit specifically for the cardio boxing videos. Also, I've been using FitOn (free mobile app) for almost 4 weeks now and I really enjoy it. A lot of the workout names sound kind of silly but they're actually really good workouts that are thoughtfully put together in my opinion, especially for the time frames. Have also turned husband onto this app.

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #228 on: May 06, 2020, 04:09:21 PM »
5 weeks later, I'm still trying my best to keep up with the fitness habits. I'm glad I don't rely on photos alone because it looks like nothing changed. I took a progress photo and it hardly looks different. But the measurements show the subtle changes, so that's encouraging. Non-scale victory: I was also able to carry a 40-lb sack of soil from the hardware store from one end of town back home and I didn't even have any issues with that. I also got resistance tubes with a door anchor. I highly recommend a door anchor, it's really good for exercises to target the back (rows, etc.), which I find can be difficult with dumbbells, especially if they are adjustable because they are bigger and clunkier.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #229 on: May 06, 2020, 11:42:26 PM »
Yep, bike ride Friday, yoga Saturday, then it all kind of fell apart.  Saturday museum walking plans were cancelled, and I didn't find an alternative activity.  Kind of told myself that I'd rest up & make the early Sunday class, but that didn't happen.  Then Monday was enforced fast/rest for a medical test.  But, got back on the bike today for a ride 2x as long as last week.  It was fun!

I'm not kicking myself for the 2 days off, as the pain in my shoulderblade has finally decreased.  Originally I was thinking it was just stiff from being slept on wrong, but it went on so long I think it was some kind of strain.  It's feeling noticeably better today.  Hurray!  Maybe running tomorrow?

Wow, I haven't checked in here for too long.  I'm still riding my bike, going for a bit longer distances now (20 miles) a couple times a week.  I found a buddy in another town and we're riding "together".  That is, we leave at the same time from our respective houses, go on whatever ride we want, then check in with each other at the end.  It's good for accountability!

Wow, I'm super inconsistent checking in here. Also on the bike. Hurt my back a couple weeks ago, so that contributed. Still, I'm noticing gains: my last average speed on a familiar route was noticeably faster this week!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #230 on: May 08, 2020, 05:53:48 AM »
Average speed isn't all that great a measure . . . simply because if you change your route it'll change (faster when flatter, slower with climbs), if you change the temperature it'll change (faster when warmer - air becomes less dense), if the winds are heavier/lighter it'll change, etc.  I like a combination of heart rate and time on the bike to gauge fitness (although there are some issues with those measures as well - but I'm too cheap to buy a powermeter).

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #231 on: May 08, 2020, 05:26:12 PM »
I am nearing the end of my not-race training.  I sat down and wrote out a new schedule/ training plan, to keep me motivated.  My Running magazine had an article about the benefits of "streaking" (as in, running every day).  At first I thought "no way", then I realized...

1. I've been "streaking" over 10k steps a day for almost a month.  My goal is 30 days.  Today is day 30.  (Still need 1600 steps).
2. Most people doing the streak (in the article) set a goal of 1 mile a day.  I can probably do that.

So...
- next Saturday I'm going to do a virtual 10k race by myself
- Then I start my next round of training.  I made up my own.
- T/Th/Sa running.  4 ish miles T/Thu, 5-7 miles on Saturday
- MWFSun 1 mile run each day.  I live on a hill.  I wonder if I'll get better at hills if I just run to the bottom and back.  That's a mile.
- My "run streak" will go from Memorial day to July 4.
- Mon Fri continue my weightlifting program on Beachbody (I need a new one for when I finish this one!)
- Sunday yoga
- Weds hip/ core to help with running strength
- Mon Wed Fri Sun - pushups.  3 sets of ... however many I can do (currently 6-8).

I have to have a plan.  It's how I roll.  Just winging it doesn't work for me.

I love training but I really don't love racing, so I'm not at all sad that races are canceled.  I love the camaraderie of races, and seeing new places.  I could do without the running so hard I feel like barfing, or running so hard my hips get really sore, all to chase a PR that sometimes doesn't happen because you have a shit day, or you are too hot, or whatever.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #232 on: May 09, 2020, 01:09:42 AM »
1. I've been "streaking" over 10k steps a day for almost a month.  My goal is 30 days.  Today is day 30.  (Still need 1600 steps).
2. Most people doing the streak (in the article) set a goal of 1 mile a day.  I can probably do that.

Hey, why not!?  A few years ago I did a 60 day running streak and it was kind of fun.  We live right in the middle of a 1-mile long road, so I would run to one end, down to the other and home every night, regardless of time.  It took like 20 minutes and broke up the sitting-on-butt routine that happens at night in the winters. My body seemed to agree with it more than it does with pushing the longer distances.

Over here, doing lots of yard work and riding.  Took a hiatus from running this week, but my pace is still slowly improving.  Need to motivate myself to lift at home, since I don't think I'll be going back to the gym for a while even if they do re-open this month.

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #233 on: May 10, 2020, 11:06:23 AM »
I'm doing really good. Ran 10.5 miles last weekend and 9 yesterday and NOTHING hurts! What a glorious feeling! Been struggling with hip ITBS/bursitis for a long time, years?

This thread is ridiculously inspiring!!!

Goals:

20 for 2020: Run/bike/walk at least 20 miles a week.
Walk dogs every day
Run 8-minute miles (currently at 9:30)
Do HIIT, plyo, bodyweight or lifting once a week
Do a Yoga class once a month
Lose 5-8 lbs. (already lost 5 since late November using Noom app)
100 pushups (currently at 25)
20 pullups (currently at 7)

Other ideas I've had so far:

Do an Olympic distance triathlon
Do a century bike race
Hike some portion of PCT? Would love to do it all but don't have the time.
Two week backpacking trip?
Backpacking once a month (12 trips total)?
Bike across America?
Join a dance team?
Get certified as some sort of fitness teacher (like Zumba)

Love the yoga retreat idea.

Obviously all of the second part won't be happening, however am up to 13 pull-ups, 30 pushups, and I have done yoga 2x this week on my back porch. Running slightly faster, definitely longer. Weight continues to veeeeery slowly decline to goal. Would like to get back into dancing, but probably like many am a little tired of online classes. But I had come across some kind of online dance school that I wanted to try a while back...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 11:11:34 AM by Fru-Gal »

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #234 on: May 10, 2020, 11:12:39 AM »
I love running streaks. Did one a while back that was a mile a day since I thought there's no way I would hurt myself that way.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #235 on: May 10, 2020, 08:31:02 PM »
Average speed isn't all that great a measure . . . simply because if you change your route it'll change (faster when flatter, slower with climbs), if you change the temperature it'll change (faster when warmer - air becomes less dense), if the winds are heavier/lighter it'll change, etc.  I like a combination of heart rate and time on the bike to gauge fitness (although there are some issues with those measures as well - but I'm too cheap to buy a powermeter).

I agree it's not the best metric, but it's what I got for now.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #236 on: May 11, 2020, 01:41:00 PM »

Hey, work with what ya got!

Just be aware that average speed can be very depressing when you kill yourself and it seems like you're doing worse . . . because it was windy/cold/whatever.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #237 on: May 11, 2020, 04:21:04 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up, I'll keep that in mind.  Today's ride was the same route, battling wind and I did see a lower avg speed.  But I was wobbly when I got off the bike...the best metric :)

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #238 on: May 12, 2020, 09:53:07 AM »
I can now do 2-3 regular, decent push ups, then subsequently a few more slightly wider grip. That's progress. Before = 0.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #239 on: May 21, 2020, 03:21:01 PM »
I've been on a roll, and worked out at least 1x/day since late February. I'm approaching 100 days in a row, which is a new personal life best. What's helping? No commute, no international travel (work), no personal travel/vacations...

I've also been running much more, and have run as many miles in May as the rest of the year. Which is both a note about how little I was running earlier in the year, and that I've finally gotten it together recently.

Currently weekly plan:
1 yoga workout
1 strength workout
1 hike/long walk
3-4 runs

I'm also walking more with the kids in the evenings, and doing a tremendous amount of yard work & other active chores.

I've lost 5 lbs, but have slowed down to a crawl in May. I'm trying to tweak my calories, to drop more, as I still have another 15-20 lbs to lose.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #240 on: May 21, 2020, 04:30:17 PM »

I've lost 5 lbs, but have slowed down to a crawl in May. I'm trying to tweak my calories, to drop more, as I still have another 15-20 lbs to lose.

Congrats!

Have you tried more strength training in place of some plain cardio like running? Building muscle burns calories, speeds up your metabolism and if you do a smart progression/ super sets you can still get a good cardio work out from strength training too.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #241 on: May 21, 2020, 04:54:13 PM »

Congrats!

Have you tried more strength training in place of some plain cardio like running? Building muscle burns calories, speeds up your metabolism and if you do a smart progression/ super sets you can still get a good cardio work out from strength training too.

I go back & forth. I typically switch to the strength training focus when it gets too hot to run. I'm trying to build my mileage up after a long hiatus, but once I'm in a good groove, hope to add strength training a couple more times/week.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #242 on: May 21, 2020, 06:32:54 PM »

Just be aware that average speed can be very depressing when you kill yourself and it seems like you're doing worse . . . because it was windy/cold/whatever.

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll keep that in mind.  Today's ride was the same route, battling wind and I did see a lower avg speed.  But I was wobbly when I got off the bike...the best metric :)

And today's ride had tailwinds.  I always first detect tailwinds with the thought, "wow, I'm going so fast today!" Then comes the return-home part of the ride.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #243 on: May 22, 2020, 07:32:43 AM »

And today's ride had tailwinds.  I always first detect tailwinds with the thought, "wow, I'm going so fast today!" Then comes the return-home part of the ride.

Heh.  Yes.  You'll be cycling along thinking "damn, I'm a god on two wheels today!" . . . right up until you turn a corner.  :P

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #244 on: May 23, 2020, 02:15:44 PM »
- complete a solo 160 km bike ride in under 6 hours, including stops
- break my current top recorded speed (76 kph) on my trusty steel frame touring bike, but finding a steep enough hill to do it on around here is difficult
- squat 220 lbs x 5 during cycling season.  No problem in the winter, but I'm usually 15 lbs lighter in the middle of the summer, and can't hit any of my lift targets.

Well, today I checked off one and two, and last Thursday I squatted 235x5.  Take that coronavirus!

:P

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #245 on: May 23, 2020, 09:30:07 PM »
Way to go @GuitarStv !!!  What are you going to do the rest of the year?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #246 on: May 24, 2020, 06:15:49 AM »

Pretty much the same thing I've been doing . . . but probably with mostly shorter (100-120km) and harder rides.  Spending six hours on a bike every Saturday by yourself starts to feel kinda lonely.  Not to mention ass soreness.  :P

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #247 on: May 24, 2020, 04:10:47 PM »

Pretty much the same thing I've been doing . . . but probably with mostly shorter (100-120km) and harder rides.  Spending six hours on a bike every Saturday by yourself starts to feel kinda lonely.  Not to mention ass soreness.  :P

Nice!   You must have your own squat rack!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #248 on: May 25, 2020, 11:11:32 AM »

Nice!   You must have your own squat rack!

If leftover 2x4s from finishing my basement and buckets of cement count.

:P

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #249 on: May 25, 2020, 03:33:29 PM »
I remember the days of a wooden squat rack.   It was a llooonnnggg time ago, but I eventually gave up on it and built something more robust with some metal stock I bought at the local scrapyard.  I think it cost me about $35 at the time...

I was really happy to have it when the kids were little.  (Not sure if the image link will work or not...)