Author Topic: Fire drill! Skip this week's grocery shop  (Read 105474 times)

swick

• Magnum Stache
Re: Fire drill! Skip this week's grocery shop
« Reply #250 on: October 09, 2013, 12:30:57 PM »
You can crack eggs into deep ice cube trays and freeze them (I learned this when I ordered a case of eggs and was a little too optimistic)

Also a pavlova with lemon curd would be a tasty way of using up a few eggs. Also maybe make some breakfast burritos for the freezer?

Oh wait! Breakfast Strudels (only sharing the recipe because I love you guys) These are a family Christmas tradition, ad we made a bunch for our wedding brunch. Below is the basic recipe, we have changed and adapted over the years (it's not uncommon to all get together and use 5 dozen eggs, vats of cheese sauce and tons of sausage and spend a day making a years worth) The awesome thing about these is you can bake from frozen, make a great weekend breakfast! I serve mine with maple syrup and sriracha.

Christmas Morning Breakfast Strudels

4 tbsp butter or margarine
2 c. milk
1/4 c. parmesan cheese
1/8 tsp pepper
10 eggs, beaten
1 pkg phyllo (filo) pastry, thawed
1/2 + dry bread crumbs - we use Panko
4 tbsp flour
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese - we use whatever we have on hand in a blend. Monetary jack is a good addition, so is smoked gouda
1/4 tsp salt
1 pkg (15 - 20) pork sausage - or your favorite, we usually use a mild Italian but a fresh chicken sausage is good too. The quality of the sausage is kind of important here if it isn't great you will taste it.
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley - we ususally add chopped roasted red peppers instead
1/2 c. butter, melted (for spreading on filo pastry)

Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.  Add flour, stirring constantly until smooth and bubbly, about 1 min.  Gradually add milk, cook until thick and boil for about 1 min, stirring constantly.  Add the cheese and spices, stir until melted.  Brown the sausage and drain.  Add eggs and cook over medium heat until set.  Stir in cheese sauce and parsley.  Cool completely.  Unroll pastry and cover with a damp towel or plastic to prevent drying out.  Brush 1 filo sheet with melted butter and sprinkle with bread crumbs.  Fold in half, lengthwise and brush again with butter.  Place about 1/2 c. of the filling mixture on the bottom, short side of the filo, leaving a 1" edge on the bottom and sides.  Turn up the edge and fold in sides.  Roll up.  Place seam side down on an ungreased cookie sheet.  (Either freeze and bag or cook)

Bake at 375 for 15 minutes or until crisp and golden brown.  Makes about 20.  If you are cooking from frozen they take about 40 min depending on your oven.

Basically it is just scrambled eggs, your favorite sausage, your favorite cheese sauce all in one delicious flaky package.

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #251 on: October 12, 2013, 06:42:07 PM »
Just did shopping for the week!  Came in at $28.97, how's that for a careful list?

1 bunch kale
1 carton veggie broth
1 carton soy milk
3 gala apples
5 yogurts (for the child, she likes a particular kind)
1 can olives
1 can pineapple
dozen organic eggs
1 package of GF pizza crusts

That'll round out the pantry plan for this week.  :)

mushroom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #252 on: October 12, 2013, 07:39:54 PM »
Great job, Kulshan Girl, but you should make your own veggie broth!

All I do is take leftover parts of my veggies (the cobs/silks/husks from my corn after I've eaten the kernels, onion tops and peels, carrot peels and tops, kale stems, woody mushroom stems, etc.) and throw them in the freezer until I have a big enough pile to simmer for 30-60 minutes in a big pot of water, then I strain and freeze small cupfuls of it to use as needed. Different and delicious every time (since I use veggies I already like), just avoid using bitter vegetables. Lots of great online articles about making your own veggie broth using parts of veggies you would normally discard. I haven't needed to buy any broth for a long time.

Crabricorn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #253 on: October 22, 2013, 05:08:07 PM »
I'm coming into this challenge. Yesterday I bought a few things at the grocery and it hit me when I was putting them away, that my freezer is stuffed! I'm going to see how long (and how low I can go on buying perishables). I think I could probably go a month without a big shop. I'm thinking about going on a once a month grocery shop as a norm. I feel like I'm always at the grocery store! Once a month seems like a dream!

Tricia

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #254 on: October 22, 2013, 11:28:54 PM »
So, I don't have a TV but I found out you can watch food network.ca shows online and most of them are crap...but Jamie Oliver has come out with a new series (3 episodes that I know of) called "Save with Jamie"

The basic premise is he makes on "Roast" dish and uses the leftovers for a new dish, goes into someones house to help them with a food that they tend to waste and then he makes an alternative to a take out dish.

There are soo so many little hints and tips that he offers that I never thought about...eating the green stalk and leaves of cauliflower? Hot chilies apparently freeze well? the meals look pretty darn good too :)

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #255 on: October 31, 2013, 03:11:35 AM »
This thread is sort of in line with how I usually approach food, so I'm going to just jump in here anyway.

I live alone, although I recently had my boyfriend staying here for three months (visiting me in South Korea from America--not mooching). I also have minimal storage space and a mini-fridge with freezer. I often challenge myself to go as long as possible between grocery trips, and I'm in the midst of one of those challenges now because my boyfriend just left last Sunday.

At this point, I have rice, flour, baking powder, sugar, breadcrumbs, French onion soup mix gifted to me (ew?), gim (roasted seaweed), 3 persimmons, 1 onion, 4 small potatoes, some margarine and butter, one tupperware thingy of vegetable stock, 1.5 jars salsa, 1.5 jars alfredo sauce, 3/4 bag of fettucini, 1/2? bag of rice noodles, couple handfuls of dried cranberries, couple handfuls of sliced almonds, some ice cream bars, 1 chicken breast, and various condiments (mustard, ketchup, mayo, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, toasted sesame seeds, 1000 Island, red wine vinaigrette, donkassu sauce, bulgogi marinade, strawberry jam).

I also have a couple kinds of tea and coffee to drink, aside from my drink-of-choice: water.

Whew! While that list is really long, what I'm dealing with is actually a fairly small supply.

Here's my plan for the next couple of days:

Right now I'm making pancakes using this recipe for no-milk and no-egg pancakes: http://www.food.com/recipe/milk-free-egg-free-pancakes-92647?mode=metric&scaleto=18.0&st=true I've eaten some already, and they are fluffy and delicious--who knew no-milk and no-egg pancakes would be so successful? I tripled the recipe so I can eat some tonight and save the rest for breakfast tomorrow and Saturday. Strawberry jam will be the topping.

Tomorrow I'll eat pasta with alfredo sauce for dinner. I'll make more than necessary and eat leftovers Saturday for lunch.

For Saturday's dinner, I'll make tortillas and eat tacos with the chicken breast and half onion (marinated in soy sauce, topped with salsa).

Leftover tortillas dipped in salsa will be a snack until they run out, as will the persimmons, cranberries, and almonds. Rice with sesame oil and toasted sesame seeds wrapped in gim is another snack option.

I could go on and on and on because my brain actually *likes* the challenge of making do with what's on hand. Does anyone else here approach groceries and meal planning like this?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 03:25:45 AM by nikki »

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #256 on: October 31, 2013, 12:52:24 PM »
Interesting post nikki!

French Onion soup mix isn't so bad if it is mixed into hamburgers, or maybe mixed with potatoes?

I tend to meal planning a lot like you, we live quite a ways from a decent grocery store so we usually plan around what needs to be used up.  This has actually gotten much easier lately. We rented a room in our house and provide dinner, and the fellow likes good food but doesn't really care "what" it is. So we have been making lots and lots and lots of soups during the week days and making something that takes longer and uses our more expensive ingredients on the weekend when it is just us home. Soups are the ultimate for using up leftovers and things about to go.

Today is going to be a black bean soup with a chipotle sour cream drizzle, in the shape of a spider web:)

How is everyone else doing?

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #257 on: October 31, 2013, 01:51:15 PM »
We have a very full pantry and freezer which I need to work down, so I'm in.  I'll still buy some items at the grocery story (veggies, fruits in particular), but my goal will be to cook at least half of my meals with pantry or freezer items in November.

The good news?  There's frozen fruits in the freezer that were intended for smoothies this summer that were never used.  I'm thinking this will be a nice treat this weekend!

Gin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #258 on: October 31, 2013, 02:44:08 PM »
My grocery budget is the biggest expense we have, I am in!!  I am planning to not go to the grocery store until we need fresh veggies/fruit.  I went yesterday and got milk, deli meat for lunches.  Yesterday I went throught the freezer and made list of food perfect timing to see this thread.  now I need to make a menu and get creative.  I also need to make a batch of beans to freeze.  I have a huge bag of black beans that I just need to make to use in place of canned beans. 

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #259 on: November 22, 2013, 03:11:05 PM »
How is everyone doing?

We had a freezer die on us, and while we didn't loose too much food, moving everything to our downstairs freezer made me realize we have a ton of food and if our other freezer went, we would be thousands of dollar out.

We have to keep some food on hand, especially in the winter because our town can be cut off in the winter if the highways suck. But I have too much food (and random food) in the house.

So for the rest of the year my goal is to keep the grocery shopping to 20.00 a week. This is basically our weekly jug of milk, a bit of cheese and eggs and whatever little bits of things we might need in order to use up what we have in the house.

Anyone with me?

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #260 on: November 22, 2013, 03:16:09 PM »
How is everyone doing?

We had a freezer die on us, and while we didn't loose too much food, moving everything to our downstairs freezer made me realize we have a ton of food and if our other freezer went, we would be thousands of dollar out.

We have to keep some food on hand, especially in the winter because our town can be cut off in the winter if the highways suck. But I have too much food (and random food) in the house.

So for the rest of the year my goal is to keep the grocery shopping to 20.00 a week. This is basically our weekly jug of milk, a bit of cheese and eggs and whatever little bits of things we might need in order to use up what we have in the house.

Anyone with me?
We're doing the same thing.  Small trips to get milk, eggs, vegetables and fruit.  I should probably minimize the fresh vegetables to help knock out our huge stockpile of frozen vegetables.

Right now, I'm working our way through 10 boxes of whole wheat pasta.  I made (and froze) pasta sauce a few months ago.  I've also made a little bit of pesto from the frozen basil we have.  Any other ideas of what to do with the pasta?  I'm not very creative (or skilled) in the kitchen.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #261 on: November 22, 2013, 03:48:37 PM »
Any other ideas of what to do with the pasta?  I'm not very creative (or skilled) in the kitchen.

My dad use to stretch out chicken and tuna salad with a little bit of chopped up cooked noodles (spaghetti) this would usually go on top of toast with some melted cheese on top. I still make it this way, it doesn't seem right without it:)

Noodles are also great to throw into soup, again chopped up depending on the size.

Here are some neat non-food uses:
http://thesecretyumiverse.wonderhowto.com/how-to/8-weirdly-practical-uses-for-uncooked-spaghetti-noodles-0146335/

http://www.driedpasta.com/cooking/teachers/

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #262 on: November 27, 2013, 05:09:24 AM »
I still have about half a package of rice noodles to use. I had some tonight with stir fry and they're just so underwhelming. I don't know why, but I much prefer stir fry on rice.

Any alternative ideas for using up the rest of these rice noodles? I'm looking for suggestions beyond Asian dishes. Get crazy.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #263 on: November 27, 2013, 08:06:17 AM »
I came across a cool idea of making your own instant soup, take a mason jar, put some shredded veg in the bottom sprinkle on some bullion and top with rice noodles, when you are ready to eat, heat up some hot water pour into the jar and let stand for a few minutes. Cooks the noodles and softens the veg and your good to go.

FI@2022Jem

• Stubble
« Reply #264 on: January 28, 2014, 01:40:37 PM »
I want to bump this thread for my own inspiration!
My husband has recently gone on an eating overhaul and has moved towards a Paleo-ish diet.  I could not be more thrilled with this because now he is on-board with my organic leaning/free range/grass fed/less processed ways.  I am still happily eating grains, legumes and dairy but as a household we are much improved!  In related news, we continue to need to watch the budget because things have gotten a touch more expensive and I am eating like a ravenous teenage boy because (drum roll!) I'm pregnant (Due in April)! 
I did a large grocery stock-up at Costco (ahhh $$$) but I feel like we have a good starting base for minimal weekly expenditures...
So-Any inspiration is appreciated!  How is everyone else doing?!?  Any fun food related pregnancy stories or delicious freezable or otherwise convenient recipes?  I have re-found a love for quiche (eggs, veggie and meat leftovers, spices, one pan to clean up, delicious hot and cold!).
Take Care, Jennie

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #265 on: January 28, 2014, 03:19:25 PM »
WE normally do one big shopping once per month & then supplement with eggs, milk, veggies, etc. So our last big shopping was a month ago. I just spent 50 at store today and will try to go another month just using what we have. Even if I make it half way it will be a pretty big success. We don't have a big freezer-just the one with the frig.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #266 on: January 04, 2015, 11:11:02 PM »
Bringing this thread out of the crypt and dustin git off as there are so many new Grocery spending gauntlet threads going on right now.

This is one of the original ones, and has some of the best info and inspiration. Hoping for a revival :D

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #267 on: January 05, 2015, 03:21:01 PM »
Hi there!  Thanks for the thread revival!!

As a once a month shopper, maybe I can help with some tips on how to skip a week?

~I keep a running list of what we are running low on at the house, then once or twice a month bring the list to the office and type in items under each category in my saved Word document (I know, I know, yes, I'm THAT fussy and organized).
~While puttering around the house doing chores on weekends, I'll write down what cleaning supplies, spices, paper products, HBAs we need.
~I buy enough of something to last the entire month.  For instance, I'm a low carber, so I buy two packages of bacon to last.  If bacon is very expensive that month, I'll either buy a cheaper brand (which ends up never being worth it), or just one package of our usual brand.  Ideally I'll have a coupon for our brand.  I'll also buy a 30 pack of eggs, but this doesn't last.  More on this in a minute.*
~Speaking of-often, if something isn't on sale, I won't buy it until it does go on sale, or when I have a coupon for it.  Or both.  And, when it is at a lower price, I'll buy it in multiples if the budget allows.  Examples:  Mayo, olives, salad dressing, etc.
~On my typed list, there is a section at the bottom right of what entrees I plan on making that month.  For instance, this month includes 10 dishes, plus I want to make burritos and freeze individually.
~To keep costs down, I'll buy just 1 or 2 expensive proteins such as a pork roast and some lamb.  This month's list has either a beef roast OR corned beef.  Whichever is cheaper, but not both.  Of course I check the Manager's Special section every time.
~Last year I started shopping fresh produce in season.  I discovered root veggies.  :D
~I am an avid couponer, both paper and e-coupon.  I use coupon.com.  I signed up on my grocery store's website to receive weekly free downloads, other online deals and snail mailed coupons.
~I save an average of 25% off my total order using these methods.

*Though I do the bulk of our shopping once a month, DH fills in with fresh produce and eggs throughout the month.

Before the recession, I used to spend $550+ a month on groceries/HBAs/cleaning for the two of us.  I traded processed and prepared food for proteins and veggies, and stopped buying soda.  DH and I both lost weight.  Last year I spent an average of $320/mo.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 03:24:01 PM by MountainGal »

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #268 on: January 05, 2015, 03:47:57 PM »
Awesome Tips, MountainGirl!

This thread holds a lot of sentimental value for me. It was the first one I got involved with and where I first started interacting with some awesome people! I have spent the morning going through from the beginning, there was lots of tips I had forgotten and was like opening up a time capsule. Interesting to see how many things discovered here have become a part of our routine now, see the food issues I was dealing with and still do - and damn I am STILL working off the original bag of Quinoa :P

What I love about this thread is it really caused people to stretch and get creative which lead to lots of tips and recipe sharing, camaraderie, and had lots of detail sharing.

There are so many different "Grocery" gauntlet threads now that they almost seem to be watered down a bit, or perhaps single focused? The idea of the original "Fire Drill" was to be a real challenge, to force creativity and challenge your assumptions.

So...I'm not sure if it will take, but I am re-issuing the original challenge as issued by KulshanGirl:

SKIP my scheduled weekly grocery shop this Friday.  I have allotted myself $10 for a couple of things that will help stretch what I have on hand for another week.

I'm going to use up some freezer leftovers, eat simply, and get creative.  Anyone want to join me in skipping a grocery run this week, with a $10 head start?  =D

Fee free to share:
 - What you are buying to supplement and how much it costs
 - meal plans and ideas for using up what you have
 - Challenges you come across  - the rest of the community might have some ideas!
 - Creative substitutions and work-arounds
 - Thoughts on the process and general food musings

Anyone else want to join me?

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #269 on: January 05, 2015, 06:09:53 PM »
I'm in again. We did not shop this past weekend, haven't since Dec. 22, as a matter of fact, but we're not all that badass about it - we both had stomach flu.

But, flu is gone, and we have plenty of food. My husband bought dog food today, and that has to be an exception for us. Also cat food, which I think we may need by next weekend.

But we don't need any people food, and shouldn't need any this coming weekend either. The thing I need to avoid is the temptation to buy convenience food because the semester is starting this week. I have food. I just need to cook it.

Exceptions: dog and cat food, apples for lunches, frozen veggies if we run out. No other grocery shopping until the 18th. Maybe not then, depending on the leftovers we bring back from a family event on the 17th. Technically, I'm footing that food bill, but I'm not doing the shopping - it's one of those once in a lifetime events that you just do if you can manage it, and it's a happy occasion, not a wake.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #270 on: January 05, 2015, 07:07:11 PM »
I'm in again. We did not shop this past weekend, haven't since Dec. 22, as a matter of fact, but we're not all that badass about it - we both had stomach flu.

UGH! Hope your both back to normal. Stomach flue is no fun.

We have very little fresh veg in the house so that will be what we will be supplementing. We out out of quite a few things that we haven't stocked up yet due to moving but going to try and get creative with what we do have.

I am planning on making Honey Beer Cornbread: http://www.brighteyedbaker.com/2013/12/08/confession-140-honey-butter-is-my-guilty-pleasure-honey-and-beer-cornbread/ We don't have any buttermilk, or milk for that matter (on that note, I have been getting better at buying less milk!) So will use some cultured buttermilk powder which has been languishing in the pantry. Won't make the honey butter as we only have 1/2 a block left and would like to stretch it out.

Dinner tonight was an udon noodle stiryfry with a package of homemade shredded Asian veggies and a bit of ground beef. I have also been eating Fodder's curried lentil and apple soup which has been perfect as I have all the ingredients for quite a few batches :) (It is in the homemade Christmas 2014 thread)

savedough

• Stubble
« Reply #271 on: January 05, 2015, 07:43:14 PM »
I did a fire drill right after a Christmas for two weeks while I tried to entice everyone to eat leftovers.  We were super low on everything that by the time I went to the store I needed to spend a little more than usual.  Another skipped week is likely in order to balance it out.

I've got so much frozen cabbage and we've made spring rolls, stir fry, runzas, and cole slaw before it was frozen.   What else do you do with cabbage?

We'll have to buy fresh fruit this week.  The boys will only go so long without bananas :)

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #272 on: January 05, 2015, 08:53:00 PM »
I've got so much frozen cabbage and we've made spring rolls, stir fry, runzas, and cole slaw before it was frozen.   What else do you do with cabbage?

Bubble and Squeek Cakes? Usually uses Brussels but I have made with cabbage. I have never followed a recipe though.

Borscht or another soup that has cabbage in it? Perogi filling? As a veg side, braised in some bacon fat? Cabbage roll casserole?

Ohh and I have this White bean Sausage and cabbage soup planned for this week, haven't made it before though:
 http://www.partial-ingredients.com/archives/4870
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 08:56:48 PM by swick »

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #273 on: January 05, 2015, 09:22:41 PM »
I also re-read the entire old thread and felt very nostalgic.  :)  I suppose I'd better get in on this.  $10 for me, for old times sake.  Saturday is shopping day.  It'll be veggies.  And I will try to make almond milk from scratch. 

And if anyone wants to, you should go and check out Hungry Planet from the library again.  I think I will.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #274 on: January 06, 2015, 10:10:12 AM »
I *think* I have two ideas which will fit the flavor of this thread?

Coffee is down to it's last use.  Instead of stopping in the store this week (payday is next week!), I rummaged through the pantry and found:  2 envelopes of instant "holiday" flavor packets from last year, a small envelope of Jack Daniels brand coffee from a stocking stuffer last year, and a single use tube of instant Folgers.  And, then, last night while chatting with DH, I noticed the free bag I scored while Christmas shopping last month.  Bottom line:  I found enough coffee to last until the 15th, saved about $10, and feel as though I am in Waste Not, Want Not land.  :D

My other idea is to substitute cheddar for mozzarella in tonight's homemade, low carb Stromboli to avoid an unscheduled grocery stop.  :)

Last month's fire drill:  In between paydays and store trips, I found out two days prior I needed to make an appetizer for a NYE party.  DH was out of town.  With $10 I bought eggs, berries, Little Smokies and cresent roll dough on sale, and one of those cheapo pizzas.  The eggs, berries and pizza were for me.  The mini pigs in blankets were a hit at the party.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #275 on: January 06, 2015, 10:28:49 AM »
Awesome Job, MountainGal :)

I recently corralled all of our caffeine sources in one place too. We don't have a microwave any more, and no desire to get one, but it means that the coffee in our french press gets cold, so when I am home by myself I have been looking for easier/cheaper sources and saving our good coffee for the weekends.  My mom gave me a ton of single serve stuff that she had bought for gift baskets and not ended up using, apparently they were expired when she had bought them so couldn't use them but didn't have the receipt. Its freeze dried - takes like coffee.

One idea for a quick Appetizer is to make savory Palmiers. I keep a box of frozen puff pastry dough in my freezer for just the occasion. They are super simple, easily customizable to whatever cheese, herbs, spices, flavorings you have on hand and they look and taste like you spend a long time on them :) The hardest part is remembering to thaw the pastry in the fridge the night before you want to use it.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #276 on: January 06, 2015, 10:37:30 AM »
Nice, swick!  I'll remember the puff pastry idea.

Funny you mention the caffeine sources.  While out on holiday last week, I watched a program on HGTV where they had remodeled the home and given the lady of the house a (large!) coffee station.  It included a blackboard backdrop, various coffee machines, pastry dish storage, etc.  I told DH I want a mini version of it.  It will include our coffee pot, my hand me down Kuerig, and a little sign given to me that reads:  Coffee is NOT a drug, it's a vitamin!  I asked him to make a two-tiered storage unit which will hold my flavored syrups, K-cups, etc.  We'll see how it goes.  :)

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #277 on: January 07, 2015, 08:43:41 AM »
Love this thread swick! I've been working my way through it since you linked it in the grocery budget thread, and glad you necro'd it already, because I was tempted to myself!

We spent less than 1/2 of our budget last month because we ate down our pantry and went on holiday for 2 weeks. Coming back I was a bit afraid of the dreaded restock but I've been redesigning our shopping. We will see how the month overall goes, but it's looking good so far. In general I am very low waste already, but something that may help folks is tracking EVERYTHING you spend food $ on, and breaking it into sub categories. I've been doing this for a while, but after reading YMOYL I increased the detail, so to speak.

Mine are: fruit, veggies, nuts, dairy, meat, eggs, baking/raw grains, prepared foods (snacks, pasta, convenience items), NA beverages, and alcohol. I'm trying to up my scratch cooking to another level. I've made our own bread and loose granola for a long time, but once we finish up the snacks in the house, I'll be experimenting with homemade cracker and granola bar recipes. This will not only save $ but more importantly (for my 2015 goals) reduce non-recyclable packaging waste.

The other reason I'm shopping differently is that we only have one car and it's fucking frigid right now. So I'm revisiting some of the closer stores instead of automatically going to the superstore that's a bit too far to get to on my bike in these temperatures. I'm finding that my local yuppie hippie market has some surprisingly good deals as long as you stick to produce and bulk items.

TL;DR: I'm not doing this challenge literally, but I'm reevaluating how much I need to buy to restock. I just went over tonight's Costco shopping list and crossed a bunch of things off that I've decided either not to buy, or discovered I can get in a less packaging wasteful form at the yuppie hippie co-op.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #278 on: January 07, 2015, 01:07:14 PM »
but something that may help folks is tracking EVERYTHING you spend food $ on, and breaking it into sub categories. I've been doing this for a while, but after reading YMOYL I increased the detail, so to speak.

Mine are: fruit, veggies, nuts, dairy, meat, eggs, baking/raw grains, prepared foods (snacks, pasta, convenience items), NA beverages, and alcohol. I'm trying to up my scratch cooking to another level. I've made our own bread and loose granola for a long time, but once we finish up the snacks in the house, I'll be experimenting with homemade cracker and granola bar recipes.

Were you around during the "track and categorize all your food spending" thread that Zikoris started a year or so ago? It is basically what you stated above. It offered a lot of insights for us. Worth a read or a recover from the crypt. I should probably do it again now that we have moved. Ahh, here's the thread: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/track-and-categorize-grocery-spending-all-march!/
It goes pretty well with this one, and as an added bonus if you are skipping the weekly grocery shop, there would be less to record!

Do you have a pasta roller? It makes making crackers super, super simple. I think there is a recipe for the seedy crackers I make in the recipe index, otherwise I'll pull it out for you :)

In regards to doing the challenge as stated, it is not necessary. This one started as a basic one week stop-gap challenge, but it turned into a whole lot more. I would like to just keep the ideas and inspiration flowing :)

« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 01:09:35 PM by swick »

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #279 on: January 07, 2015, 01:16:24 PM »
While looking for the thread in he above post, |I found a few others that while might not need to be revived had some good info. I guess at least my instant gratification monkey has pulled me into the productive part of my dark playground? I should be writing. Anyhow...

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/eat-all-the-food-in-your-house/ the original eat all your food thread

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/make-your-own-products-%28cleaning-condiments-bodycare-etc-%29/

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/cook-everything-from-scratch-october/

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #280 on: January 07, 2015, 02:02:31 PM »
Were you around during the "track and categorize all your food spending" thread that Zikoris started a year or so ago?

I was, but I think at the time I thought grocery tracking was nuts. Then about June I changed my mind ;) It takes some work initially to set up the spreadsheet how you want it, but the habit of entering in the receipts right away is an easy one to build.

Do you have a pasta roller? It makes making crackers super, super simple. I think there is a recipe for the seedy crackers I make in the recipe index, otherwise I'll pull it out for you :)

I don't have a roller, but the first recipe I was going to try was your recipe - you posted it in my journal a while back!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #281 on: January 07, 2015, 02:30:30 PM »
I was, but I think at the time I thought grocery tracking was nuts. Then about June I changed my mind ;) It takes some work initially to set up the spreadsheet how you want it, but the habit of entering in the receipts right away is an easy one to build.
I got a little overwhelmed last time since we were shopping once every couple of months, it would be one day of shopping and three days to organize the receipts and input them :)  But I still have my spreadsheet and now we have more access to things, I think I will start keeping track again and see what it looks like at the end of the year.

I don't have a roller, but the first recipe I was going to try was your recipe - you posted it in my journal a while back!
RIIGHT, I totally forgot, well it is a good recipe :) I like to share!

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #282 on: January 07, 2015, 06:21:13 PM »
Ok, it took me a couple of days but I read the whole thread, great one.  This definitely where I should have posted my creations from the kitchen today.

Pumpkin cookies with a smidgen of leftover pumpkin, last nights butternut squash rounded out with a couple of boiled and puréed carrots. Worked like a charm, daughter has been munching on them after school. :).

My lunch was fish cakes using up one little individual portion of frozen cod, recipe thanks to www.frugalgirl.com.  I added in some of the puréed carrots and some rescued greens just starting to turn slimy around the bottom of the box.

Anybody have ideas for getting the greens to last longer before they slime?  They don't even seem to make it to the expiration date anymore.  I can't wait until the snow melts and I can grow my own.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #283 on: January 07, 2015, 08:14:46 PM »
Anybody have ideas for getting the greens to last longer before they slime?  They don't even seem to make it to the expiration date anymore.  I can't wait until the snow melts and I can grow my own.
[/quot

Good Job, Juslookin! Also with stickin' to your guns with your DD about breakfast. I would love it if I had such a variety in my house!

For greens - This is a specialized suggestion but if you happen to have a vacuum sealer and can get a mason jar attachment, cleaning, drying and vacuum sealing your greens in a mason jar will make them last way, way longer, I think I had some cilantro last over a month.

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #284 on: January 08, 2015, 04:38:00 AM »
Swick: I do have a food saver with some kind of canister attachment, I've never used it for anything but bags. I'll check it out, thanks.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #285 on: January 08, 2015, 04:59:04 AM »
The only things I have purchased from the grocery store are just the essentials for two weeks now.  I have so much to work through it is kinda crazy.  I do feel blessed to have it though.  I just have to try and not do this to myself again. Every time I look there is something else to be used up.  It is not enjoyable when I am rushing just to use things up before they go bad.  I want to enjoy my food in peace and that is what I need to keep in mind when I go to the market.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #286 on: January 08, 2015, 07:02:05 AM »
I think I'm going to add to my exception list to buy peanuts, apples, and bananas this weekend. It's a crisis around here when we run out of peanuts, and we pack apples and bananas in our lunches. We don't need any frozen veggies, though- I had more than I thought.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #287 on: January 08, 2015, 07:54:37 AM »
Went grocery shopping, picked up:

2 pkts frozen Spinach @ 1.75 each
2 lemons @ .59
1 head lettuce @ 1.97
bag of frozen broccoli/cauliflower mix @ 1.97
2 bunches of green onion @ .59
3 lb bag of onions 3.00

I have a chicken crockpotting which I'll turn into a tajine, Fried Rice, and bone broth for the upcoming week.

Breakfast this morning will be eggs and spinach and left over toasted cornbread.

Dinner tonight is going to be a riff on CigKofte I'll use this recipe as a base: http://www.unrulybliss.com/recipe/turkish-red-lentil-lettuce-wraps/

« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 02:21:46 PM by swick »

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #288 on: January 08, 2015, 02:15:02 PM »
I was already doing this this week, so I'm in!  Came back from a NYC weekend and 1) didn't feel like shopping immediately, 2) felt like I spent a lot on the weekend (despite meals in and lodging with friends), and 3) it then became too busy too shop.

- Found frozen hamburger meat buried from this summer so I whipped up chili last night with other staples of canned beans, rice, canned tomatoes, garlic, onions,
- Made a simple pesto pasta
- Will be heating up a frozen quiche my mother in law gave to us just before the holidays for tonight - handy, because my folks are unexpectedly over tonight
- Tomorrow will be defrosted steak, plus a white bean salad (stock items) and a side green salad

In other words, we're living like kings with this challenge and need to keep on working down the stocks.  I'm excited I used up a 1-yr expired small box of rice.  I discovered we have 2 boxes of rice that are from 2005 and 2007 that I might throw away though.  Realized we have 3 containers of red pasta sauce I need to prioritize using up as they are also expired by a year each.

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #289 on: January 08, 2015, 02:27:17 PM »
My shopping day is not until Saturday, and here is where my $10 is going to go so far after going through the grocery mailer:

3/$1 grapefruit ..... $1
Cilantro...............$1.29 (or so, going from memory)
Russet potatoes.....$2
Cucumber.............$1
Bag organic carrots....$.79
Tub of yogurt.........$3
Red pepper ............$2

I am too low on my GF bread but I have a full bag of GF pancake mix, so I will make some of those and have peanut butter pancake sammies.  That'll be my bread for next week.  The child has plenty of whole week bread in the freezer.  Although she will probably want pancakes.  :)

I made some almond milk!  It is about the easiest thing to make ever.  Much tastier than storebought, although with a little bit more bitterness so will keep experimenting with more rinsing/using organic/different sweetener until I get it down.  But still, WAY easy, and way tasty.

I'll update more when I have the menu nailed down and actually shop.  I might go over $10 by some change. 

savedough

• Stubble
« Reply #290 on: January 08, 2015, 04:06:54 PM »
We meal plan Sat - Fri and shop on Sat or Sun.    The husband has gotten in on the challenge as well and offered to make dinner on Sunday.   We used to do a weekly competition with each other called $5 Dinners.   We would each get $5 to spend (plus an unlimited amount of agreed upon staples) and then see who could make the best dinner.

Now we have the $1 Dinner challenge.  You can use anything in the pantry, fridge, or freezer unless it is earmarked for a planned meal, but only have $1 to spend on additional ingredients.   He made Shepard's pie on Sunday and used his dollar to buy a frozen corn/pea blend.   We both liked it, but it was too spicy for the little guys so it made 4 lunches as well for us.  I'm planning on making Gumbolaya with shrimp and chicken over rice (it's a loose recipe based on what I have) and spent my dollar on frozen okra.   

I think we will try Week 2 of the $1 Challenge and combine it with a Fire Drill for next week.  So that leaves me $8 and I know I'll have to buy yogurt (both dairy and dairy free) for the kiddos breakfast.   I try to slip in carrot/zuchinni/apple muffins, waffles or pancakes and eggs, but they request yogurt and granola every other day and eat like teenage boys, not preschoolers, so it doesnt last long.   (Unless I am drastically underestimating what a teenage boy eats and if that it the case, forget college fund - we need a feed the teenage boys fund.)

Going to try to use the cabbage, but the only thing I have more of in my freezer than cabbage is leeks.   It will take a while.    The leeks we sub for onions every chance we get, so they are pretty easy to use up.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #291 on: January 08, 2015, 04:48:42 PM »
Now we have the $1 Dinner challenge.  You can use anything in the pantry, fridge, or freezer unless it is earmarked for a planned meal, but only have $1 to spend on additional ingredients.   

I LOVE this idea! Brilliant!

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #292 on: January 08, 2015, 07:33:06 PM »
We meal plan Sat - Fri and shop on Sat or Sun.    The husband has gotten in on the challenge as well and offered to make dinner on Sunday.   We used to do a weekly competition with each other called $5 Dinners.   We would each get $5 to spend (plus an unlimited amount of agreed upon staples) and then see who could make the best dinner.

Now we have the $1 Dinner challenge.  You can use anything in the pantry, fridge, or freezer unless it is earmarked for a planned meal, but only have $1 to spend on additional ingredients.   He made Shepard's pie on Sunday and used his dollar to buy a frozen corn/pea blend.   We both liked it, but it was too spicy for the little guys so it made 4 lunches as well for us.  I'm planning on making Gumbolaya with shrimp and chicken over rice (it's a loose recipe based on what I have) and spent my dollar on frozen okra.   

I think we will try Week 2 of the $1 Challenge and combine it with a Fire Drill for next week.  So that leaves me $8 and I know I'll have to buy yogurt (both dairy and dairy free) for the kiddos breakfast.   I try to slip in carrot/zuchinni/apple muffins, waffles or pancakes and eggs, but they request yogurt and granola every other day and eat like teenage boys, not preschoolers, so it doesnt last long.   (Unless I am drastically underestimating what a teenage boy eats and if that it the case, forget college fund - we need a feed the teenage boys fund.)

Going to try to use the cabbage, but the only thing I have more of in my freezer than cabbage is leeks.   It will take a while.    The leeks we sub for onions every chance we get, so they are pretty easy to use up.

We used to do this when the kids were younger, we gave them $5.00 and took them to the grocery store. We let them use water, spices, butter and oil from the pantry, everything else they had to buy. Dinner for four. It was a hoot and my kids learned to shop on a budget too.

We should do this again. Teenagers need all the help they can get learning kitchen skills.

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #293 on: January 08, 2015, 07:43:01 PM »
I am loving this game. I just said to DH that we haven't gone grocery shopping since before Christmas. Such a weight off my shoulders I know exactly what is in the freezers and what we're eating everyday.

I'm also keeping very careful track of spending.  So far since January 1, have only bought a few things, flour, eggs, apples and an emergency pot pie for DD lunch.

Today for breakfast was frozen homemade breakfast burritos for the kids and I had some yogurt DD wasn't a fan of and a homemade on the weekend and frozen pumpkin Belgium waffle.

Lunch for me was yesterday's fish cakes and the last of the greens I could salvage. For dinner I found a package of thin sliced beef in the freezer, I sautéed it with some carmelized onions and made sandwiches on some homemade sourdough ciabatta rolls that are just starting to stale. I toasted the rolls in the oven and melted cheese on the whole shebang. Frozen french fries and green beans from my frozen garden stash along with some apple slices sprinkled with cinnamon for desert.

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #294 on: January 09, 2015, 10:15:04 PM »
Woohoo I love(d) this thread! Happy to see it pop up again.

I think we could last a week without buying groceries, but that's only because we bought fresh produce a couple days ago... that seems a bit like cheating.

Seeing prices of food you all pay makes me a bit sad about the high prices for similar items in Korea :-(   But there are, of course, ways to shop cheaply here, too. Just not with cilantro or lemons.

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #295 on: January 10, 2015, 08:32:09 PM »
Here is how my shopping went down:

Apples (3)  $1.51
Bananas (1)  $.28
Organic carrots 1lb bag $.79
Cilantro $.99
Cucumbers (2) $1.18
Grapefruit (3) $1
Lime (1) $.50
Red Pepper (1) $2.00
Russet potatoes (2) $1.76
Annies Mac & Cheese (1) $.99

Total:  $11.00

Meals this week:

Oatmeal with dried apples for breakfast, grapefruit
Lunches:  Big pot of Canary Island cilantro soup, or tuna fish sandwiches, apples
Dinners:  Salmon cakes and ? mashed turnips, FIsh & Chips, beans & rice, spaghetti, scrounging.

I will probably need to buy a carton of soy milk for the child too, for school. 

I have to say, it was a pretty big bag of food for $11.  I think this happened last time we did this fire drill too, but the person in front of me had like, $80 worth of little processed crap that fit in a tiny bag, and I had this big bag of goodness for $11.  Awesome!

newnewman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • You already have it all
« Reply #296 on: January 11, 2015, 07:23:21 AM »
I'm joining you KulshanGirl. I just stumbled across the wonderful world of MMM yesterday and it has already changed my life! So excited to find people with similar goals and this "challenge" section is awesome :)

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #297 on: January 11, 2015, 08:08:45 AM »
Well this weekend had to go to the grocery store. It's been about three weeks since I did a full shopping.  I have set a new grocery budget and I am on track with it but I am disappointed because I wanted to save so much off of that budget this month.  There are just some things we are having trouble giving up. 

As a matter of fact I was standing in line with DH and regretting my purchases partially because I would have to admit them here.  Annie's Mac and. Cheese, 10 boxes at Target, which is a two or three month quantity but still a processed food. I buy them there because it is the cheapest deal, even lower than bulk at Amazon and I get my 5% red card discount too.  I just knew how much of a hit my budget was going to take, but Target is an extra trip and I can't justify multiple trips when I could stock up.  It's also an easy side dish and snack for the teenagers. 

So there is my food shopping confession. Pretty much everything else was basics. I am happy to say that I dragged DH back into Aldi for a look around.  We are not pleased that a lot of their canned goods, mostly fruit, are from china. We did however find that they have a nice selection of fresh fruit and veggies, all from the US, with bargain basement pricing.  We bought cabbage, apples, two kinds or pears and sweet potatoes.  Bananas were the best price around .27 per pound.

Lunch yesterday was from the freezer, I had one lonely piece of frozen cod, DH and DD had some frozen butterfly shrimp I keep in there for emergency quick nights and DS had a frozen pizza.  We rounded the whole thing out with steamed broccoli and sliced pears. Dinner was leftover baked ziti.

Today I am sorting through all my cabinets and getting organized, lots of beans to use up. 

MrsGreenPear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My food blog: Savory Moments
« Reply #298 on: January 13, 2015, 06:18:33 PM »
I love this thread and have finally joined the forum so I can participate. I've been trying really hard to cut down our grocery budget and to use up what we already have on hand and supplementing with some fresh produce. Meal planning is a big help.

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #299 on: January 14, 2015, 09:42:41 AM »
And the week is almost over already!  :)  I'm already planning out next week.  It won't be a fire drill, there are things that we're out of.  But I'm still going to see how low I can go for the week. 

I've had lots of success this week.  It was nearly toast-free, which is a small miracle.  When I buy bread now, I'll immediately open it and divide it into 4-slice each freezer bags and freeze them.  There is never a loaf to eat, there are 4 slices. 

I've been making almond milk about every other day.  It is SO EASY.  And it is great to be using up the bag of Costco almonds.  I will keep doing that!

I have a child-free three day weekend so I'm going to do a bunch of cooking.  I'm going to see if I can use my old naan recipe with the gluten free flour.  Fingers crossed! 

On the list so far for this Saturday's shop...  I will probably aim for around $40 or less:

Tempeh
Soy milk x 4 (for the kiddo)
Tub of yogurt
Peanut butter
Gluten free bread
Ketchup
Eggs
Ginger
Careful selection of fruits and veggies

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!