Author Topic: Finish That Novel, Now With NaNoWriMo Action!  (Read 22760 times)

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
Re: Finish That Novel, Now With NaNoWriMo Action!
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2015, 10:58:21 AM »
Added a bit for NaNoWriMo, since I'll use that as a push to finish. Been thinking and rethinking of the general flow of things, and am letting my mind work behind the scenes for how I want the book to go. Been a bit under the weather lately and have been super busy with the wedding stuff before that. Hopefully I can get back to writing this week.

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2015, 06:48:33 AM »
I'm excited that you added the NaNo piece!  I'm about 2/3 of the way through outlining- I really hope to be done by 11/1 so that I can go all out writing.  Hope you feel better soon!

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2015, 10:23:59 AM »
I signed up for NaNoWriMo this year.  I've never actually written a novel, but my husband and I have been spitballing a plot idea for a little while, so I figured, why not? 

DH just found out there are badges...  He loves getting achievements, so that actually might be super helpful for us.  :)

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2015, 09:32:19 AM »
I am alternating outlining and writing scenes as they come to me. I've got about 10,000 words so far, maybe 2-3 chapter's worth.

I've been watching a lot of videos and reading articles on what drives storylines, and I'm getting closer to what I actually want to write about. Each tweak I make gets me a little more excited. I don't write every day, but I average 2000 words per session when I do.

Plus I'm still blogging 500+ words every day.

I am really excited about this. It's going to be awesome.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2015, 10:29:43 AM »
Well,  I just signed up for NaNoWriMo so into the abyss I go.  I'm working on what I like to think of as a semi-dark chick lit novel, have roughly 17,000 words written but it needs some major revising (apparently my love of backstory isn't shared by others, alas).  Since writing is what I want to do after FIRE might as well jump in with both feet, right?

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2015, 07:16:18 AM »
Signed up for NaNoWriMo, same username as here. Never used that site before, so will have to see how it goes. Added a synopsis and stuff to that page, not sure how I share that here?

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2015, 07:24:58 AM »
I've also signed up with NanoWriMo. I've been working with some ideas and I'm not quite sure of the genre yet but I'm in it! Since I also want to write once I leave my job in a year, I thought I would use this NanoWriMo as an opportunity to dip into that ocean and to make friends with my local writers community again.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2015, 08:45:29 AM »
Signed up for NaNoWriMo, same username as here. Never used that site before, so will have to see how it goes. Added a synopsis and stuff to that page, not sure how I share that here?

Go to "My NaNoWriMo" and click "Author Info" and share that link here.

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/funkystickman

I've got about 17,000 words, the outline is pretty much done, and I'm straight-up rolling. Going to freight train NaNo this year, I can feel it. Probably will end up being an actual published novel, too. I'm pretty excited.

And yeah, I will get 50K words just during November, no problem.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2015, 10:00:57 AM »

Go to "My NaNoWriMo" and click "Author Info" and share that link here.

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/funkystickman

I've got about 17,000 words, the outline is pretty much done, and I'm straight-up rolling. Going to freight train NaNo this year, I can feel it. Probably will end up being an actual published novel, too. I'm pretty excited.

And yeah, I will get 50K words just during November, no problem.

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/gaja

Thanks!

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2015, 08:33:56 AM »
Bumping because I need the buddies and November first is coming up quick!

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/mandalayva

I'm challenging myself further by starting a new novel.  I have a much stronger idea of where this one is going while the one I posted about originally is in limbo.   
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 08:38:36 AM by MandalayVA »

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2015, 10:01:03 AM »
Bumping because I need the buddies and November first is coming up quick!

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/mandalayva

I'm challenging myself further by starting a new novel. I have a much stronger idea of where this one is going while the one I posted about originally is in limbo.   

Same with me.

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/pooperman

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2015, 01:42:43 PM »
Alright, I've planned out the basic plot and done a bunch of background stuff to hopefully help me keep things consistent. What I put down as the basics should be enough to get me through the 50k words of NaNoWriMo just fine, depending on how detailed the descriptions and explanations are.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2015, 08:37:39 PM »
Day 1 of NaNoWriMo, got 1300 word done. A bit under pace, but I didn't have as much time as I'd hoped.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2015, 02:21:40 AM »
I started NaNoWriMo on a whim and just realised there might be a thread! I'm on about 1500 words, completely new story, fantasy setting following a dual story line about water supply/drought in a kingdom and pregnancy of the princess. Because projects are like babies. I am totally counting any plot organising I do in my word count.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2015, 05:26:41 AM »
I had unexpected visitors this weekend plus the usual Halloween insanity so no chance to write yesterday.  :(  We'll see how today goes.

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2015, 05:35:11 AM »
1,100 words yesterday.  Not bad for the first day!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2015, 05:55:21 AM »
I'm now on 1900 words.. at the end of Day 2. I'm sending emails to myself as things occur to me during the day, notes on my phone, scribbles on paper. The paper won't be transcribed until the end of the week, or possibly fortnight, because I don't want to break the flow. I'm counting an A5 page as 100 words.

Here's my link: http://nanowrimo.org/participants/snottygobble

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2015, 09:10:25 AM »
2600 words yesterday, I wrote about 2000 words of blog posts today, and will probably crank another 2K tonight on the novel while wife and girls are at dance class.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2015, 11:10:13 AM »
Just busted out 2572 words.  Possibly more later.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2015, 11:29:16 AM »
I entered and partially rewrote all my old notes yesterday. Will probably need all the head starts I can get if I want to reach the goal. Today I've been thinking about illnesses and handicaps, will try to get some writing done tonight.

One of my largest problems will be the number of side characters. They are very clear in my head, but probably a total chaos for the reader. One of the heroines has 12 brothers. I think I'll write their backgrounds out for myself, and do the editing in the end. The good thing is that I can use some of them for several books. 

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2015, 12:57:26 PM »
4487 words as of today.  Not too far off the pace but I still hope to catch up over the weekend.  How about you?

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2015, 01:53:14 PM »
4487 words as of today.  Not too far off the pace but I still hope to catch up over the weekend.  How about you?

I'm a bit behind that at 2667 as of now. I'll be able to write more on the way home so I expect somewhere in the 3500 range by the end of the day. That all depends on how much time I get to write. Company over for the next couple of days. Writing on the way to and from work is pretty good. I get about 500 words done each way. I've hit my first sticking point. I know where I'm going, just not how much detail to show on the way. I'm going to opt for more rather than less I think. Once I get to the next major plot point, at least I've got a chance to write a lot since action is fun to do :).

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2015, 01:57:47 PM »
Have something happen every 3 pages.

*throwing in more or less random advise from random writer read at a random point in my life*

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2015, 03:39:26 PM »
Have something happen every 3 pages.

*throwing in more or less random advise from random writer read at a random point in my life*

Throw a wrench, a monkey, or even a wrench-wielding monkey just to screw with your characters. Readers will be entertained. Some other advise I learned early on: don't repeat. Don't use the same descriptive word repetitively unless its an artistic choice to do so.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #74 on: November 05, 2015, 04:50:21 PM »
I have been flat out at work, I haven't made progress. Did some outlining of the setting. I realised don't know what tech they have available, so I'm going to run with stuff and, as per instructions, worry about editing later

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2015, 04:57:42 PM »
We're at 4550, but I think we'll get to 5500 by the end of the day.  A bit behind.  Turns out, we should have done waaaay more research ahead of time.  I just checked out a book and will be reading it tonight. 

DH and I signed up together, neither of us having written a book, and completely uncertain of how we'd write a book together.  So far it's looking like he's doing all the writing and I'm doing all the research.  I think I got the short end of this stick...

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: November 05, 2015, 05:08:45 PM »
I keep getting distracted. I started with one scene. That turned into four story lines. They suddenly I had 13 characters who each needed their own stories told. And then there are tons of unrelated stuff. Well, I'll just keep on writing, and then I'll look for the good stuff inbetween the rubbish later.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: November 05, 2015, 05:28:23 PM »
I keep getting distracted. I started with one scene. That turned into four story lines. They suddenly I had 13 characters who each needed their own stories told. And then there are tons of unrelated stuff. Well, I'll just keep on writing, and then I'll look for the good stuff inbetween the rubbish later.

You have over 8000 words, bravo!

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2015, 02:39:44 PM »
One week in, how's everyone doing? I'm aiming to have 6k words by the end of the day. The procrastination is terrible!

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2015, 11:25:25 PM »
We went to a Write-In and tried to double our best word count day. Our goal was 4000 words, but we only got to 3462. But that did get us to 10,500 words. Which was exciting, a new badge and all. I'm hopeful we'll catch up tomorrow and actually be on track to finish by the end of November.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2015, 01:29:39 AM »
12525 at the end of the first week. But the second week hole is already looming big over the horizon. I can survive one or two days more and then the initial part is done and I need to do a lot of text before I can go to act 3 where the fight happens. And that middle part is scenery and explanation and carakter explanation but of course without soudnign like a teacher - quite hard.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2015, 03:39:10 AM »
I am well behind everyone else, just over 3000 words. I am impressed with myself though, this is the most I've ever deliberately written about a story before!

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2015, 07:11:43 AM »
I am well behind everyone else, just over 3000 words. I am impressed with myself though, this is the most I've ever deliberately written about a story before!
Keep going and the number will increase!

If you dont know what to write, just sit down and start. The point of nano is to get over that point of small blockade so that you can unleash your creativity.

It is quite simply, really. Start at the start, put one word after the other and write till the end. Then stop. :D

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2015, 02:14:44 PM »
I'm getting the words in, and I keep adding to the storylines, but I'm not sure it is such a good idea for me to do this type of writing marathon. It is more stress than fun, at times. So I've decided to relax a bit for a few days on the target numbers, and instead try to enjoy writing. Maybe I can find a cafe in town to spend a few hours in?

I think I prefer writing by hand; writing on the computer feels more like work. So since my last notebook was full, I picked up a new one at IKEA today: http://www.ikea.com/no/no/catalog/products/80248035/ It fits so nicely with my story, I think I'll enjoy withing in it.

@Mandalay: Thank you!

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #84 on: November 09, 2015, 01:46:48 PM »
Rolling right along. Hit 13,824 yesterday, will do some more writing tonight.

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
« Reply #85 on: November 09, 2015, 04:33:44 PM »
We had a 4,000 word day on Sunday and I snuck in some writing time at work today... so we're at 15,337.  I think I'm going to make a goal of 2,000 words a day to buy myself a little wiggle room around thanksgiving. 

I think it's a little crazy that I'm upping my word count voluntarily, but it feels pretty do-able right now.  We'll see how I feel about it in two weeks... :)

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #86 on: November 09, 2015, 04:51:20 PM »
You guys are doing awesomely! I'm stick in neutral right now (a bit sick). I'll try to write some today to get a bit more than 0 words.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #87 on: November 09, 2015, 05:43:21 PM »

If you dont know what to write, just sit down and start. The point of nano is to get over that point of small blockade so that you can unleash your creativity.

It is quite simply, really. Start at the start, put one word after the other and write till the end. Then stop. :D
Oh actually maybe that is why I am going slowly. I'm jumping around writing small scenes or parts-of-scenes as they come to me (during my writing time) rather than trying to go from start to finish. I have now started at the start, and might make some progress from there. I will have to keep where I'm going open because I don't have an outline to follow :)

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #88 on: November 10, 2015, 06:11:02 AM »
Up to 15k!  Yay!  Struggling with some dialogue though.  It's hard to turn off my internal editor that tells me, "nobody says shit like that". 

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #89 on: November 13, 2015, 08:10:19 PM »
We're almost at the halfway point! How's everyone doing? I'm waaaay behind at about 8500 words, but I am liking the direction of the story so far.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #90 on: November 14, 2015, 02:55:46 AM »
I am beyond 2 days but that always happens around day 10 for me - and lots of others. Its when the first fiire and first ideas burned down and you need to rearrange yourself.

@asauer: Try to put dialoge into a "that just happened" description. You can leave out a lot of chatter this way (of course wont increase your word count ^^)

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #91 on: November 14, 2015, 03:14:19 AM »

Oh actually maybe that is why I am going slowly. I'm jumping around writing small scenes or parts-of-scenes as they come to me (during my writing time) rather than trying to go from start to finish. I have now started at the start, and might make some progress from there. I will have to keep where I'm going open because I don't have an outline to follow :)
I'm up to 5,700 words. I've started writing from the start, which is helping a bit. My scenes still feel dialogue-heavy and disjointed from each other, so next plan is to fill in with rough "this then this", and then continue with the story again :)

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
« Reply #92 on: November 14, 2015, 11:36:48 AM »
I woke up this morning with 22,800 words and my goal is to get to 25,000 today. We're going to a wedding tomorrow, so I don't think I'll have time to write anything tomorrow.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #93 on: November 15, 2015, 06:16:16 AM »
I have been writing a little bit by hand, and those words are not logged. But I'm still almost 10 000 words behind target. The firstcoming week is my big hope; I'm taking the oldest kid to deaf school, and that is usually offline and incredibly boring for the parents. There are some sign language lessons, but those are quite short. So there should be plenty of time to write. Also, I'm using that experience for one of my storylines, so I should get some material to write about too.

Meowkins

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #94 on: November 15, 2015, 02:25:51 PM »
Definitely can't do NaNo (HAND INJURIESSS TOO HARD CORE*) but slowly plodding along in my fantasy novel. The rewrite is at 6,638, 2.5 chapters in, and while it's still rough, so far the direction and story telling is MUCH better.

Also figured out the problem of my villain. Will be putting the whole shit to a story board of friends on 12/5 at my house. It's kind of scary, but awesome.

Hope everyone is having fun with their writing!

*I was dumb and got RSI last time, like a wimp.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #95 on: November 17, 2015, 11:45:26 AM »
I'm right at 25,000. I'm a few thousand words behind, but making steady progress.

Ockham

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #96 on: November 17, 2015, 08:04:30 PM »
This is actually my second year doing NaNo. Broke 50k by the skin of my teeth last year. At 29k right now. This novel is going to suck when it's done, but I'm determined to finish.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #97 on: November 17, 2015, 08:06:30 PM »
Good job so far everyone! I'll be happy to finish November with 20k words (closing in on 10k now). I'm not going to stop until it's done :).

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #98 on: November 30, 2015, 12:04:08 PM »
There it is! I am basically finished with the 50K.  Just having a reach the end anxiety, 400 words left, didnt wrote for 5 hours ^^ (btw. here I have 4 hours left)

Also I now have found the name for my leading male char. Luckily I got this on the last day lol. He found his long lost sister and with her came the name, ironic.

Congrats to all who finished that hard task, keep trying next year to those who could not do it.

For all of you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thVKLoXtVWg

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #99 on: November 30, 2015, 12:18:33 PM »
Congrats! I'm very happy with the 11k I did to be honest. It's far more than I've written in a long time , so here's to finishing it!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!