Author Topic: Finish That Novel, Now With NaNoWriMo Action!  (Read 22768 times)

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
Finish That Novel, Now With NaNoWriMo Action!
« on: August 24, 2015, 09:46:08 AM »
...or whatever you're writing! I know there are quite a few Mustachian writers out there, so lets do this!

Some background:

I wrote a first draft about 5 years ago while in college. It was freeform and pretty cool concept wise. However, it lacked any sort of cohesion, so I let it sit buried in that-place-where-unfinished-books-go. Recently, I've felt a bit inspired and want to finish it. I realize that it's got no cohesion and could use a rewrite and an outline. So, I've gone ahead and started rewriting it. I've got the outline for part 1 done and have started on it. I estimate the first part will be somewhere between a novella and a small novel, depending on how in depth I go with it.

I'm not sure what the best way to keep track or to share in general for those interested in reading our collective works of awesome. So, I challenge you to finish that piece of writing you always wanted to!

Here's my starting point:

Draft 1.5
1k words (5 pages)
Part 1 outlined
0/20 sections completed (Part 1)

Here's a link to the story, though maybe we can find a better way of sharing. Genre is probably fantasy/horror, not exactly sure.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 10:55:39 AM by Pooperman »

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
Re: Finish That Novel
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 11:12:52 AM »
Pooperman, Looks like you have some writing skills. Go ahead and write the book!

I'll use this to motivate myself to kindele-ize my Indian recipe book which I put out for free on the Internet in 1990 (I'm dating myself).

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 01:15:43 PM »
Pooperman, Looks like you have some writing skills. Go ahead and write the book!

I'll use this to motivate myself to kindele-ize my Indian recipe book which I put out for free on the Internet in 1990 (I'm dating myself).

Many thanks! Good luck with the recipe book :).

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 06:19:55 AM »
Have you participated in NaNoWriMo?  I will be doing it this year if you'd like a buddy!  I'm using Sept/Oct for research/outlining and then doing the actual writing during NaNoWriMo.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 07:23:48 AM »
Have you participated in NaNoWriMo?  I will be doing it this year if you'd like a buddy!  I'm using Sept/Oct for research/outlining and then doing the actual writing during NaNoWriMo.

I may participate, depending on work. I'm not a quick writer, I think too much!

Can I play if it's a blog? I've let mine go for a long time. It's not financial, more free form thoughts that just make me happy.

Good luck with the novel! How can we help you stay on track?

Sure! Any writing gauntlet should be tossed here :).

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 03:00:55 PM »
A bit of an update as I finished the first scene.

Stats:

Draft 1.5
Words: 1.6k (8 pages)
Part 1: 1/20 scenes completed (2 sections)

I've decided to change from section to scene because I need to somehow give a stat of the sections within the chapter as they are real breaking points/time skips. Additionally, that is how I noted them in the outline. At this pace, the book will be done in a year.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 03:06:42 PM »
Good luck with the novel! How can we help you stay on track?

I'll post periodic updates (like the above) with my progress. The goal of this gauntlet is to finish, since I'm terrible at finishing things. Maybe a google sheet with some weekly tracking?

Workingmomsaves

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 08:14:21 PM »
Way to go Pooperman!  It will be done in no time.  I hope this is the motivation I need.  I finished my ebook in July and have been wanting to write another or start a novel.  I have a few ideas just need to pick one and go😀

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 04:53:38 AM »
Way to go Pooperman!  It will be done in no time.  I hope this is the motivation I need.  I finished my ebook in July and have been wanting to write another or start a novel.  I have a few ideas just need to pick one and go😀

Congrats on the e-book! Join in :).

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 01:20:50 PM »

I have the same problem when writing!  I have several ideas which makes it so tough to start.  Haha!  congrats on the ebook.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 02:02:00 PM »

I have the same problem when writing!  I have several ideas which makes it so tough to start.  Haha!  congrats on the ebook.

Can't finish all the ideas if you first don't finish one idea!

Meowkins

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 05:57:13 PM »
Thanks for linking this to me, Pooperman.

I'll play, too! I have a fantasy novel that brings me joy so even though I doubt it's financially viable, I'm going to finish it. It's outlined as a quartet, so lord help me. Here's where I'm at:

Book 1
First Draft
Words: 42,721
Sections: 7/14

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 08:30:29 PM »
Welcome Meowkins! Not sure if my book will have 4 or 6 parts (depends on how many characters I end up doing), so I totally feel you on the quartet thing. How long has it taken you to get to this point?

Meowkins

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 09:37:07 PM »
Welcome Meowkins! Not sure if my book will have 4 or 6 parts (depends on how many characters I end up doing), so I totally feel you on the quartet thing. How long has it taken you to get to this point?

It took me about a month and a half to get to this point. I started in NaNoWriMo and royally screwed up my hands, so don't think I'll try that again. However, I will say that this first draft is VERY rough and I am definitely going to have to rewrite large portions.

A friend has wisely advised that I consider switching it from an epic fantasy to an urban fantasy, since that's far more marketable, but I just can't seem to make it fit. Also, if I'm being honest, I'm cringing at the idea of rewriting from scratch. Though I am still struggling with creating a convincing villain that is still slay-able given the abilities of my heroes =/

So, even almost 50,000 words in and halfway through the first book, I still don't have it all figured out. It's going to be a steep climb to coherence.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 09:39:50 PM »
Villains can win or be shown the error of their ways.mit doesn't have to be black and white.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2015, 12:15:46 AM »
Go pooperman, go!

For all teh ones who are afraid of long novels:

2 years ago I started a NaNo novel that will take - a gues after the first 100K - about 600K words, so it will take me another decade just to write the draft. It's more or less for training, so thats not bad, but still... do not be afeared.

This year I might do another one, I finally got the right start after 3 years thinking about it. Stories always take long in my subconciousness ;)

Cougar

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2015, 11:37:20 AM »

keep it up, don't quit.

one thing I would advise is to block out time, at least two hours at a time to write. don't set a goal to write so many pages at a time because you never know when writers block will hit or if you'll just be focused on other things but eventually you'll start writing because you committed that time to do that and nothing else.

I know, I've written two books.

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2015, 12:24:55 AM »
Thanks for the link Pooperman!  It was good enough for me to read it all (I didn't read the synopses because I didn't want to ruin the surprise).  Keep up the hard work!

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2015, 08:11:53 AM »
I saw your message on the page, Meowkins (assuming that was you). I've removed the link for now while we find a better way to share anonymously.

Thanks to the rest of you for the encouragement :)!

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2015, 07:56:07 PM »
Was a bit busy this week and only ended up with about 150 more words than last time.

Meowkins

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2015, 07:59:49 PM »
I saw your message on the page, Meowkins (assuming that was you). I've removed the link for now while we find a better way to share anonymously.

Thanks to the rest of you for the encouragement :)!

HAH! I see through your CLEVER RUSE to reveal my true identity. Nice try!

Yeah that was me.

Now that I know your real identity and you know mine send me your link in a PM so I can read it this weekend and also PM you back a very funny story?

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2015, 05:24:10 PM »
Been thinking of writing an e-book during the nano week - might putz around before that and see if it flows. But I really need to take time out for my photography first - maybe I'll do a little of both. So - a definite maybe:)

Meowkins

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2015, 07:26:05 PM »
Reread my fantasy novel. It is hilariously bad. I will have to hack away and chop at it.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2015, 11:18:33 AM »
Had to look and see if "finishing the novel" was for reading, or writing! ;)

I've got several manuscripts partially completed. NaNoWriMo is coming around soon. I might need to disappear for a few weeks to finish one.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2015, 11:50:00 AM »
Had to look and see if "finishing the novel" was for reading, or writing! ;)

I've got several manuscripts partially completed. NaNoWriMo is coming around soon. I might need to disappear for a few weeks to finish one.

Welcome! There's the 50 books challenge for reading (though I will fall short because I read fantasy... 1k+ pages per book is crazy). Do you know of a way to share what we're writing as a group in such a way that maintains anonymity? Tried Google Docs, but that's only anonymous if you're not logged in or don't click the "chat" at the bottom if you are :/.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2015, 01:12:59 PM »
Could use a throwaway e-mail to make a Google or Dropbox account, I guess.

I've self-published one book, but I've just been too preoccupied to finish any more. Kinda depressing.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2015, 01:16:52 PM »
I put the link back in the initial post. I added a nickname to my account, so hopefully this will maintain anonymity (it's worth a try).

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2015, 01:46:48 PM »
Do you know of a way to share what we're writing as a group in such a way that maintains anonymity? Tried Google Docs, but that's only anonymous if you're not logged in or don't click the "chat" at the bottom if you are :/.

You might try asking jordanread.  He's got a google doc set up for the cycling challenge and it looks pretty anonymous.  Or maybe I'm just not as good at ferreting out identities.  :)

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2015, 08:02:21 AM »
You might try an etherpad. You can use it with any name you want and you can only access if you know the link.

If you click e.g. here
http://piratepad.net/front-page/
and then on the image you get a pad and can copy+paste text. Just save the link ;)

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2015, 06:30:00 AM »
Draft 1.5
Words: 2.4k (11 pages)
Part 1: 1/20 scenes completed (3 sections)

Wrote a bunch last night (500 words feels like a bunch anyways). Should be able to finish the second scene (and 4th section) tonight. I'm fairly happy with it, but some things bother me about the way I write. I need more characters!

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2015, 06:51:04 AM »
You surely can find tips on character writing on your own, but there is one I think is most important and especially helpful with "small" chars. Also I love how some famous writer has said it.

Every character should want something, even if it is only a cup of tea.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2015, 07:12:52 AM »
You surely can find tips on character writing on your own, but there is one I think is most important and especially helpful with "small" chars. Also I love how some famous writer has said it.

Every character should want something, even if it is only a cup of tea.

Thanks. I've realized this before (and think of it as I design the scenes). It's more aimed at myself than anything since I tend to focus to the exclusion of all else. I realize not everyone sees the world as I do, so I have to make... concessions. Sometimes, I need to remind myself to do so :).

3Mer

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2015, 11:07:18 AM »
I've never written a novel or book.  But reading about all the writers here on the MMM forum has me toying with the idea of writing a book.  I was initially thinking non-fiction.  However, I recently signed up for a creative writing class.  We had our first class last week, and the instructor gave us a couple simple assignments.  I am excited about the possibilities coming up, even if clueless how to successfully develop them.  I really think I could write a fiction novel!  Taking an open-minded, learn-as-I-go approach here.

I had to look up NaNoWriMo - how cool!  I wonder if it would be too much self imposed pressure?  Might be good - I seem to work better with a gun to my head sometimes.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 11:11:15 AM by BriarRose111 »

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2015, 01:30:24 PM »
I've never written a novel or book.  But reading about all the writers here on the MMM forum has me toying with the idea of writing a book.  I was initially thinking non-fiction.  However, I recently signed up for a creative writing class.  We had our first class last week, and the instructor gave us a couple simple assignments.  I am excited about the possibilities coming up, even if clueless how to successfully develop them.  I really think I could write a fiction novel!  Taking an open-minded, learn-as-I-go approach here.

I had to look up NaNoWriMo - how cool!  I wonder if it would be too much self imposed pressure?  Might be good - I seem to work better with a gun to my head sometimes.

NaNoWriMo is how I got back into writing. I work better under a (even thinly veiled artificial) deadline.
Some books I'd recommend if you're just getting started:
Stalking the Story by Jay Douglas
No Plot: No Problem by Chris Baty

Also, I write even more under *extreme* pressure, I use Write Or Die to kill writer's block dead. Funny program, but it works for some people.

3Mer

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2015, 03:07:18 PM »
Great suggestions; thank you!  My local library system had the Chris Baty one available as an eBook - so I downloaded it to my Kindle.  I'm also going to think about NaNoWriMo.  If not this year, maybe next.

I'm actually kind of excited for my 2nd Creative Writing class tonight!  I had a few trepidations after last week.  The instructor seems a little opinionated, and some of the participants caused me to be a bit taken aback.  Then I thought, "variety is the spice of life", right?  And the little exercises we did actually are sparking some creative fire in me.  Feels good to be inspired and have a new creative outlet.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2015, 02:21:23 AM »
Starting writing is quite simple, really!
Just put down a time of day where you are at home every (or most) days. Set this time for writing 200 or even only 100 words.
Do it.
Whatever you write more to your story, do it.
After the 200 words you can stand up. You can delete them if you dont like them. Just sit down those 15 minutes (and everyone can cut 15 minutes in their day) and write.
The rest will develop.

Meowkins

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2015, 12:41:42 PM »
Today I read about ancient calendar systems and for funsies am letting you all know that my characters are going to go along with an 18-month year as designed by the Mayans. NEAT ISN'T IT? I wonder if any readers (if there ever are) will ever care about this particularly cool detail.

I've also created a massive excel sheet with the years, seasons, & months and am charting the parallel story lines so I can keep up with all this crazy shit.

Finally, I've figured out WHAT the villain will be and it makes it all the more exciting because I also now know how my heroine will KILL IT. Muahaha!`

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2015, 05:58:14 AM »
Fancy! There's also how you make weeks, how you group years, etc. 73 5-day weeks broken into 18 months of 4 weeks (20 days) with a celebratory week long festival around the solstice. You can group years by 5s, 10s, 20s, etc.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2015, 02:31:08 PM »
So I've done a bit of thinking today abou the direction of the book. I think I will take it to a different place as compared to the original version. Structurally nothing changes, but the wold will be different. I'll end up writing the notes in the document when I get a chance. It's such a thrill to ideate.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2015, 06:28:28 PM »
I knocked out 800 words on the book yesterday. I couldn't today, I'm working on budget and I spent the afternoon fixing my van's brakes.

But I've decided to write. Like, seriously try to finish a book series.

The sooner I can quit my job, the better.

3Mer

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2015, 06:00:14 AM »
I knocked out 800 words on the book yesterday. I couldn't today, I'm working on budget and I spent the afternoon fixing my van's brakes.

Nice! Keep it going; sounds like you are on a roll! :-)

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2015, 06:23:56 AM »

I meant to reply earlier. You're doing great! 800 words in an day is a pretty good pace :).

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2015, 07:45:32 AM »
I often travel abroad for work, in places where internet is scarce or expensive. Out of boredom, I started writing a book series by hand. I'm about half way into transferred my notes to the computer, and have 900 words of one book and 1900 of the next. There are fragments of four books in total, a paranormal romance that mixes Nordic mythology with wolf shifters.

Workingmomsaves

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2015, 12:22:44 PM »
I got started with one of my ideas for a romance novel.  Rough outline is done and 7 pages written.  The plan is to write on my lunch break when i would be mindlessly surfing the internet.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2015, 12:25:22 PM »
I got started with one of my ideas for a romance novel.  Rough outline is done and 7 pages written.  The plan is to write on my lunch break when i would be mindlessly surfing the internet.

Yay! Welcome to the team :). Good luck! I've fallen off the rails a bit recently, but I'll make an effort to get back on track. Hopefully more of you in this thread will help with that!

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2015, 07:45:59 AM »
October began my research phase/ outline phase to prep for NaNoWriMo.  Woohoo!

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2015, 07:58:40 AM »
^ Yay! I think I should make an effort for NaNoWriMo to finish the draft. Now that crazy stuff is over, I should have a lot more time to work on it!

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2015, 11:45:45 AM »
At that topic of planning for Nano...
what do you think of when you hear "library?" Whatever comes to your mind?

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2015, 12:36:49 PM »

I see a picture of every library I've been to. I also think of the linguistic origins of the word "library". Finally, librarians have nice uniforms according to every porn video ever.

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2015, 12:44:57 PM »

I see a picture of every library I've been to. I also think of the linguistic origins of the word "library". Finally, librarians have nice uniforms according to every porn video ever.

Interesting.  I think of books.  Tall metal shelves filled with books.  Mostly hardback books w/ plastic covers on them.  And that area in the back with the computers.  There's always people with headphones back there. 

My library is pretty small, so the in-stock selection is pretty underwhelming.  I don't usually browse.  I reserve the books online and they get transferred to my branch.  It makes my trips pretty quick.  But on the occasion I've needed to talk with someone, the librarians have always been super helpful.  And more than eager to help. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!