Author Topic: Finish (or start) Writing Your Book 2017  (Read 39736 times)

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
Re: Finish (or start) Writing Your Book 2017
« Reply #150 on: April 17, 2017, 07:11:36 PM »
Thought I'd jump into this. My writing group (Myself, MonkeyJenga, SisterX, and Meowkins) are cleaning up our second romance novel before releasing it to the world. 57k words in length, so somewhat short, but I think it's turned out pretty well!

Personally, I'm working on my second choose your own erotica that I hope to have finished in the next month or two.

Welcome Pooperman!
I could be wrong but I believe you guys all had a thread going at one point.  I actually was going to post to it, but got a message about it not being active for a while and how I should start my own thread.  So that how this one got started!

I certainly did star a thread last year. There are far more hobby novelists on the forum than I expected! It's certainly a fun thing to do and we all hope that it turn into more than a hobby at some point. How has everyone done as far as marketing and sales? I've noticed a few things about selling on Amazon that I could share if anyone's interested.

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #151 on: April 18, 2017, 06:54:43 AM »
Anyone else dreaming/thinking of a possible transition into writing over a long period of time?

*THIS*

This is actually my goal/dream.One of the main reasons I want to be financially independent is to be able to do whatever I want with my time, including making money by writing. I have a lot of fun things I like to do, writing being the main one, and I feel like I can't devote the time I want to it while I'm working full time. I would love to be a full-time novelist, but I have a ways to go to get there.

Like you, I would need to be out of debt (except the house), and we're getting very close there. Likely 12-18 months and we'll be debt free. But I would also have to have a lot more savings than I currently have. I also want to make sure that it's possible for me to make money doing this, so I wouldn't give up my (very lucrative) day job unless I had a few published novels under my belt that I knew were selling.

Yup. And it's so hard to do both a full-time job (especially one that's more than 40 hours/week) and actually crank out a decent novel or two, especially (like many of us) if you have kids. I think kids change everything, from eating up most of your post-workday, to increasing your monthly expenses, thus requiring more savings to make the leap. My writing time never starts until 9PM at night, at which time I'm already tired on most nights. I don't do well writing 30 minutes at a time...it takes me at least 30 mins just to "get into a grove," so I usually end up with a short nonproductive session or else I end up writing until 1AM, being super productive but super tired at 6AM when I wake up the next morning.

Still, if it was easy, everyone would do it.

I do get a tinge of jealousy at the local writers in my network, mostly young single adults or SAHMs with school-age kids, talk about how nice it is having writing time. But everyone's situation is different, and we have to deal with ours the best we can.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #152 on: April 21, 2017, 10:16:30 AM »
Oy, I completely fell off the wagon and have not written since March! Taxes and political actions have taken up all my spare (non family) time.

However, I did come upon the following very heartening article.
https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2017/04/peace-is-in-the-waiting/523383/

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #153 on: April 21, 2017, 10:21:27 AM »
^ WOW!! Yeah!!!!

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #154 on: April 21, 2017, 07:37:24 PM »
After a bit of a rough week (just a bunch of unrelated stuff going on), I got back on track tonight and cranked out a bunch of words. Just hit 65k. I'm hoping I'll get some good writing in this weekend too, which would be nice. I'm actually rather surprised that I've done all my writing for this book in short spurts of 30ish minutes. I haven't done a single (that I can recall) long stint of several hours, which usually happens at least a few times while working on a book. Either way, the work is clearly getting done.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #155 on: April 29, 2017, 03:11:02 PM »
I just turned my first draft in to my editor!! 🤓

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #156 on: April 29, 2017, 05:08:47 PM »
Hey madgeylou, awesome!!!!! How are you feeling??

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #157 on: April 29, 2017, 05:17:52 PM »
I just turned my first draft in to my editor!! 🤓

That's awesome!

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #158 on: April 29, 2017, 06:38:25 PM »
Hey madgeylou, awesome!!!!! How are you feeling??

Yay thanks! I feel happy! I know I still have a lot of work ahead but I got most of what I have to say on the matter out of me! I think? Haha I'm sure more will come out in the coming weeks, but this is a big milestone and I intend to celebrate it with an ice cream bar followed by a few days where I try to think about other things.

Flyingkea

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #159 on: April 30, 2017, 04:05:49 AM »
Posting to follow!

I have a project that I am on/off again, that I would really like to finish. I've written about 25k words, but I only recently planned out the entire novel.

I have a few writing projects that I would like to complete too, on the non-fiction side, on supporting parents in a particular area. But I'm really not too sure on how to start, and whether doing several projects is the best idea right now.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #160 on: May 02, 2017, 06:40:28 PM »
After forgetting to check my total for quite some time, I realized today that I surpassed 70,000 words today. I can't wait to see how long this book is going to be when it's finally done.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #161 on: May 03, 2017, 06:37:12 PM »
After forgetting to check my total for quite some time, I realized today that I surpassed 70,000 words today. I can't wait to see how long this book is going to be when it's finally done.

That's amazing...keep hitting those milestone!

Thanks @SeaKayEl!

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #162 on: May 03, 2017, 10:00:35 PM »
I can't believe I only just found this thread.  Thank you so much for starting it SeaKayEl!!

I would love to have a place to talk about my writing since I don't know anyone IRL who is a writer.
It's almost as alienating as being Mustachian.  I thought people would be more enthusiastic about my writing since it is clear that I am very passionate about it.  And I am interested in their hobbies and pastimes and avocations, so why can't they be interested in mine?   But friends and family don't get it at all.  They won't even read my work.  Does anyone else find that?

« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 04:13:13 AM by Stachey »

Flyingkea

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #163 on: May 03, 2017, 10:54:25 PM »
I can't believe I only just found this thread.  Thank you so much for starting it SeaKayEl!!

I would love to have a place to talk about my writing since I don't know anyone IRL who is a writer.
It's almost as alienating as being Mustachian.  I thought people would be more enthusiastic about my writing since it is clear that I am very passionate about it.  And I am interested in their hobbies and pastimes and avocations, so why can't they be interested in mine?   But friends and family don't get it at all.  They won't even read my work.  Does anyone else find that?

Is it alright if I tell you about my projects?
I've been writing short stories for years while I was working full time. (Some won awards!!)
Two years ago I finished a short story collection. 
In the past year and a half I've finished a series of humourous, action packed crime fiction novels.  Now I'm working on a mystery.
Yes, for some reason I feel pretentious if I talk about writing to some people, even though I have an Aunt who has published, and everyone in my immediate family likes to dabble.

And yes, would like to hear more about your projects.

I don't know why, but I've been procrastinating like crazy on my writing.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #164 on: May 03, 2017, 10:59:55 PM »
Welcome, Stachey!

It's GREAT if you tell us about your projects :)

Yes, no one I know will read my stuff through. Some will look at very short sections (e.g., a few paragraphs); one voluntarily did a great read-through with notes on part of one. Aside from that, no one will look unless I pay the big bucks. Captain Awkward actually has a couple of posts about this, and says that is very normal/common, so to be super grateful for the few that will read as volunteers and be prepared to pay for that service. I've done that, but I'm a long way from recovering that cost on the last project, so am unlikely to commit to any more public projects.

Are there no writing groups in your area? Those can be lovely.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #165 on: May 03, 2017, 11:01:41 PM »
I started a book a few years ago, interested to catch up

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #166 on: May 04, 2017, 10:24:11 AM »
Welcome, Stachey!

It's GREAT if you tell us about your projects :)

Yes, no one I know will read my stuff through. Some will look at very short sections (e.g., a few paragraphs); one voluntarily did a great read-through with notes on part of one. Aside from that, no one will look unless I pay the big bucks. Captain Awkward actually has a couple of posts about this, and says that is very normal/common, so to be super grateful for the few that will read as volunteers and be prepared to pay for that service. I've done that, but I'm a long way from recovering that cost on the last project, so am unlikely to commit to any more public projects.

Are there no writing groups in your area? Those can be lovely.

Cheers joonifloorisploo!  Yeah what I find strange is that a few people have read my work...and REALLY liked it.  But will they read more?  No.  I find that odd.  That someone reads a couple short stories, really likes them, then doesn't want to read anymore.  The ones that are doing that used to write but don't now.  So maybe it upsets them because they think they should be writing?  I don't know.  But overall most friends and family don't want to read any of my work.

I've been thinking about looking for writing groups.  I tried one many years ago but was not thrilled with the result.  Maybe it was just that group of people.

Thanks Flyingkea!  I thought my problem was because I didn't know any writers.  Perhaps not. 

Good luck with your writing everyone!

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #167 on: May 07, 2017, 11:53:07 AM »

Hi SeaKayEl!  Thank you for starting this thread!  How is your book coming along?  (I loved your idea of a spreadsheet to track progress.)

I find I'm always torn between what I want to write and what I think other people would like to read.  Always part of me is trying to anticipate what the reader would like.  Do any of you feel like that?  How do you get the focus back to 'your voice' as it were?  Or does that just take time?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 04:16:57 AM by Stachey »

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #168 on: May 07, 2017, 02:45:53 PM »
I find I'm always torn between what I want to write and what I think other people would like to read.  Always part of me is trying to anticipate what the reader would like.  Do any of you feel like that?  How do you get the focus back to 'your voice' as it were?  Or does that just take time?

This is one thing my writing coach has helped me a lot with -- he says that when you write a first draft, you don't even need to think about the reader -- it's just about getting what's in your head down on paper/in pixels. Then, as you edit, you start thinking more about the reader's experience of the piece. I like this way of thinking about it because then you don't have to choose -- you just do one then the other. :)

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #169 on: May 07, 2017, 09:44:13 PM »

This is one thing my writing coach has helped me a lot with -- he says that when you write a first draft, you don't even need to think about the reader -- it's just about getting what's in your head down on paper/in pixels. Then, as you edit, you start thinking more about the reader's experience of the piece. I like this way of thinking about it because then you don't have to choose -- you just do one then the other. :)

Cheers Madgeylou!  I really like that idea.

How are your writing projects going?

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #170 on: May 08, 2017, 12:37:17 PM »

Cheers Madgeylou!  I really like that idea.

How are your writing projects going?

I'm struggling a little bit, to be honest. I've been working on this book off and on for 5 years! Jesus! And I have a first draft. But I'm struggling with this idea of how to tell the story. I've been trying to tell MY story, and ask questions and invite the reader into my experience to see if it resonates with them ... and to offer suggestions on how to move beyond the limiting parts if it does.

My editor has suggested that I should focus more on the reader's problems and how I can help solve them. THEN go into my story, to build a sense of authority and 'yep I've been there and can help you out.'

So I'm having a hard time with this. The topic I'm writing about -- how to give up self-defeating patterns around love -- is very tender, and I don't want to come on too strong and make my readers feel like there's something wrong with them that only I can help them with. I want it to feel more like an exploration of where we are, and how what we've been taught can limit us, and how we can move beyond that.

So ... yeah. I'm on this awesome writing retreat in Mexico and feel like I'm filling pages and not really getting anywhere. Blah. Nothing to do but keep going, though. I do have faith that I will eventually crack it, because I always do. 

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #171 on: May 08, 2017, 06:52:14 PM »
madgeylou, if you want, I'll read it. This is because I'm interested in the topic and I'm your target audience :)      I'm not a pro, so I wouldn't be giving a pro perspective. I would just be sharing the experience of a reader you hope to effectively reach. I'm not at all pained if you don't want a reader at this stage, though!

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #172 on: May 08, 2017, 07:14:39 PM »
madgeylou, if you want, I'll read it. This is because I'm interested in the topic and I'm your target audience :)      I'm not a pro, so I wouldn't be giving a pro perspective. I would just be sharing the experience of a reader you hope to effectively reach. I'm not at all pained if you don't want a reader at this stage, though!

<3 Thank you Jooni dear! I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE THAT!!! I will PM you to get your email address :)

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #173 on: May 09, 2017, 11:02:58 AM »
Good for you Madgeylou for sending it off to an editor!  That is always a huge milestone achievement.  It sounds like it would be difficult to write...anything that is a personal project that is close to the heart is always hard to write...at least I find.  But it sounds like it's getting closer and closer to the way you want it to be.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #174 on: May 09, 2017, 11:04:08 AM »
madge, I'm reading away. Half way through already! I've made a personal commitment to read 1/4 of it every day for four days, so at the end of two more days I should have my notes to you. Some solid, powerful stuff in there! Lots of ease and flow, so no problem reading at this rate. Go you!

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #175 on: May 09, 2017, 06:09:52 PM »
Thanks so much for the encouragement, Stacey, and thanks again for reading my draft, Joon! I am excited to hear your thoughts on how I can develop it to be even more helpful! ☺️

I spent the day at the unbelievably vast and deep Museum of Anthropology in Mexico City today and it's got some ideas flowing in my head about how I might want to re-approach the intro. Of course part of me wants to scrap the whole book and start over and make it EVEN BIGGER. But maybe I'll try to finish this one first and plan the next one as THE BIG ONE.

I saw this painting today and I can't stop thinking about it ... I honestly want to live inside it. It just makes me remember that we humans have seen some shit and yet we are still here, laughing and crying and holding each other and trying to grow. So much inspiration.

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #176 on: May 09, 2017, 10:48:35 PM »
Wow!  That painting is amazing!

« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 04:18:42 AM by Stachey »

Flyingkea

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #177 on: May 09, 2017, 11:36:25 PM »

Is it alright if I tell you about my projects?
I've been writing short stories for years while I was working full time. (Some won awards!!)
Two years ago I finished a short story collection. 
In the past year and a half I've finished a series of humourous, action packed crime fiction novels.  Now I'm working on a mystery.
Yes, for some reason I feel pretentious if I talk about writing to some people, even though I have an Aunt who has published, and everyone in my immediate family likes to dabble.

And yes, would like to hear more about your projects.

I don't know why, but I've been procrastinating like crazy on my writing.

Well, I think I've figured out ehy I'm procrastinating. The words aren't flowing the way I want them to right now, and miss perfectionist here doesn't want to write it if it ain't right. I need to remind myself that the first draft is all scaffolding, and if I can get the bare bones of the scene down, then on my second pass I can re-write it. And then go over it again :) It doesn't need to be perfect the first time.

That reminder is helping me get back into it.

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #178 on: May 10, 2017, 10:00:40 AM »
Flyingkea, have you read "Bird by Bird" by Anne Lamott?

It's all about the writing process.  I found it useful when I read it (which was quite awhile ago).
It helps with procrastination.

Flyingkea

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #179 on: May 11, 2017, 02:08:19 AM »
Flyingkea, have you read "Bird by Bird" by Anne Lamott?

It's all about the writing process.  I found it useful when I read it (which was quite awhile ago).
It helps with procrastination.
No, never heard of it. I have read a few different writing books though, so I might have a look when I get a chance.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #180 on: May 13, 2017, 06:45:26 PM »
I had a delicious time beta-reading Madgeylou's draft and providing notes (which I hope prove both supportive and helpful!).

Today I am culling hardcopies of my book's drafts, for shredding or scanning, as needed.

So, not writing outside of my little life's ponderings, but still in the game and happy!

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #181 on: May 13, 2017, 07:03:04 PM »
I had a delicious time beta-reading Madgeylou's draft and providing notes (which I hope prove both supportive and helpful!).

Oh yes! And definitely! ❤️

Your idea for starting the book sparked another idea on me that I'm now working with! I can't thank you enough for the help and the support!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #182 on: May 13, 2017, 07:06:22 PM »
Oh good, madgeylou!!!!!!!!!! I'm so glad!!! :)))

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #183 on: May 13, 2017, 08:27:59 PM »
I've been on vacation and just got back, so I haven't written anything for like a week and a half. I have to get back into the groove now that I'm home before it completely vanishes.

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #184 on: May 13, 2017, 09:59:10 PM »
I haven't written very much this week.  :(

I find when the weather gets nice, my enthusiasm for sitting at a desk wanes considerably.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #185 on: May 15, 2017, 06:39:53 PM »
Well, after a week and a half off, I finally got back into the swing of things. I wrote for 40 minutes today, and got about 1,200 words done, which is about twice my usual daily average. Just got to keep it up.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #186 on: May 16, 2017, 10:52:09 AM »
Writing has been very slow for me, but at least on Sunday I did interview my mother a bit about family history, and got some good stories to put in. 

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #187 on: May 16, 2017, 11:34:30 AM »
Big progress today. Landed on a version of my intro that I think will work, though I may need to add more jokes. Also worked through the Table of Contents and did some reorganization around a more developed version of my thesis -- if the old narrative of love doesn't work anymore, let me propose a new one! Feeling good about it!

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #188 on: May 16, 2017, 11:35:06 AM »
PS Raise your hand if you find editing MUCH MUCH MUCH more difficult than generating words!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #189 on: May 16, 2017, 12:15:05 PM »
Awesome, madgeylou!!!

Yep, for me a 100% revision (beyond editing) is the ultimate challenge. Whew.

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #190 on: May 16, 2017, 03:13:46 PM »
Editing is SO much more difficult than writing.  Especially when the characters won't do what you want them to do.  Grrrrrr.

Mariposa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #191 on: May 19, 2017, 11:55:48 AM »
It's all hard--throwing words up on the blank page, revising;)

I'm at the revising stage of my novel now. The main story arc is there, I think, but I'm still creating several new arcs and refining things with this draft and re-typing everything along the way. I don't type at my computer every day; some days it's thinking, reading, researching, pacing, doodling in my notebook. All a part of writing!

Rebecca Solnit's tips for writing, with a nod to mustachianism (Tip #6):

http://lithub.com/how-to-be-a-writer-10-tips-from-rebecca-solnit/

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #192 on: May 20, 2017, 07:59:33 PM »
After my vacation/time off from writing, I've been a bit slow to get back into it. I think I managed 2-3 sessions this week, and I'd like to do better. I'm trying to get myself back up to the 5-6 I was doing. I just have to buckle down and do it.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #193 on: June 03, 2017, 07:09:19 PM »
I've had a rough couple of weeks, and haven't written a word in almost two weeks. I need to get myself back on track.

How's everyone else coming along?

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #194 on: June 12, 2017, 07:09:34 PM »
A boost of enthusiasm had me writing 2000 words today. The progress feels awesome. Now I need to make sure I keep it up. I'm a stone's throw away from finally hitting 75,000 total.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #195 on: June 14, 2017, 12:35:41 PM »
A boost of enthusiasm had me writing 2000 words today. The progress feels awesome. Now I need to make sure I keep it up. I'm a stone's throw away from finally hitting 75,000 total.

Nice! Great job getting back on the horse :)

I'm still editing, fleshing out, rewriting. I don't know when or if I will ever be done!! But I'm putting one foot in front of the other and I guess if I keep doing that, I'll be ready to publish it someday. I'm aiming for the fall!

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #196 on: June 14, 2017, 12:48:32 PM »
It's all hard--throwing words up on the blank page, revising;)

I'm at the revising stage of my novel now. The main story arc is there, I think, but I'm still creating several new arcs and refining things with this draft and re-typing everything along the way. I don't type at my computer every day; some days it's thinking, reading, researching, pacing, doodling in my notebook. All a part of writing!

Rebecca Solnit's tips for writing, with a nod to mustachianism (Tip #6):

http://lithub.com/how-to-be-a-writer-10-tips-from-rebecca-solnit/

Thanks for sharing this! (And best of luck with the novel; the idea very idea of a novel is daunting to me. :))

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #197 on: June 15, 2017, 10:04:45 PM »
I read a really good book about writing by Lawrence Block.  A couple takeaways were:

-figure out a daily page count that works for you (his was five pages a day).  Write for however long it takes each day to make your page count (his was sometimes one hour, sometimes four).  The important part was not to increase your page count over time.  Find a number of pages that you can comfortably finish in a day and do that consistently, day in, day out.

-when you're doing your daily writing just concentrate on what you are writing about that day.  Don't start thinking about the whole project because you will get overwhelmed.  Just focus on what you want to accomplish in your five pages that day. 

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #198 on: June 16, 2017, 02:07:48 AM »
Posting to follow and to be able to find and read this thread again soon. I've always wanted to write a book but never had much to say. When I met arebelspy and his wife a couple of years ago, we chatted a bit about her writing and I decided I should just go for it and write a romance novel. Even if I only ever write one, even if I only ever self-publish and never make a lot of money on it, at least I'd have done it. I've mostly procrastinated since then. Have written about two half-chapters and done most of an outline. Only actually got any writing done after months of not being able to decide what to call my main characters and finally deciding to just go with he/she. I can add names later. I did a short online course to find out how to use Gantt charts and used a book as my sample project for practice. Then I spent a few more months reading dozens of romance novels as research (aka procrastinating some more). It's time to get down to work. I actually updated my Gantt chart about a month ago, setting June as my start date. Totally forgot about the fact that I'd be on holiday (it was the kind of holiday where I rushed around meeting up with everyone - since I live abroad, I have to do that every year or so) and wouldn't have any time for writing. But I've been back for a week now, so no more excuses, need to start writing at least a few sentences every day!

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #199 on: June 26, 2017, 04:21:38 PM »
I've had a rough couple of weeks, and haven't written a word in almost two weeks. I need to get myself back on track.

How's everyone else coming along?

Very poorly. Haven't written a word for two months.  But now the kids are out of school, I think I'll be able to start up again soon.  It got very hectic what with end of year concerts, fairs, and parties. I'll start again tomorrow morning if I get up early enough.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!