Author Topic: Finish (or start) Writing Your Book 2017  (Read 39732 times)

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
Re: Finish (or start) Writing Your Book 2017
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2017, 01:18:26 PM »
>_______________>
I ... am tentatively in.

I'm 11K into That Thing a novel that I really shouldn't drop. (Calling it a novel sounds Big and Scary, so I'll probably just call it "that thing" sometimes)
I also have several short stories that need a final polish and need to be sent out so I can start my very own rejection letter binder. ;)
I also have a graphic novel project trying to vault its way off of the backburner.
But doing these things has become very daunting so I've managed to avoid actually... you know... doing most of it.

Hoping to get the push here to get off my ass when it comes to getting myself and my work seen and read.
:)

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2017, 03:13:13 PM »
Hoping to get the push here...

......::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::push.

Done :)

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2017, 03:16:21 PM »
Hoping to get the push here...

......::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::push.

Done :)
lol. XD
Gracias.

I actually have a short story picked out. Tonight I'll do a final editing pass, and then I'll submit it to my first choice professional-rate place tonight, too.

O__O
Yes. Yes, I will.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2017, 03:30:14 PM »
professional-rate place

What is that, dear Oro?

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2017, 03:34:26 PM »
professional-rate place

What is that, dear Oro?
You mean which market is it? Or what a professional rate is for short stories? Or is this an amusing comment about the frustrating pennies (or lack there of) that people feel is appropriate to pay? Lol.
I think I'll keep which place it is quiet until the story sells, as it's not likely to get sold to the first place I send it to. :) First up is a place that pays 8 cents a word, which is a professional rate. Not exactly big bucks when talking about a 1,500 word story, but professional. ;P
I'll go down my list into the semi-professional paying places, but if it doesn't get bought there, I'll shelve it. I don't want to get published enough to do it for free.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2017, 03:50:02 PM »
Oh, I see! I just 100% didn't understand the phrase. I thought you meant a place that had professionals that would rate your story somehow, like a quick feedback thing. (Doesn't that sound like a great service? I guess some professional beta-readers do something along those lines.)

For the first time ever, the MMM forum just told me I'm posting too fast. ?!?!?!?!? I'm trying to click veeeeeeeeeeeery sloooooooooooowly this time.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2017, 03:52:26 PM »
Oh, I see! I just 100% didn't understand the phrase. I thought you meant a place that had professionals that would rate your story somehow, like a quick feedback thing. (Doesn't that sound like a great service? I guess some professional beta-readers do something along those lines.)

For the first time ever, the MMM forum just told me I'm posting too fast. ?!?!?!?!? I'm trying to click veeeeeeeeeeeery sloooooooooooowly this time.
Oh! I can totally see how you'd read it that way. :) Thanks for clarifying. Hopefully I clarified too.

Ug, outside eyes are so valuable. I'm super lucky right now in that I have several writerly friends who are kind enough to lend their eyes (and minds) when I quietly (or otherwise) wish. I try to reciprocate, because it is really a labor of love. :)

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2017, 03:57:23 PM »
Ug, outside eyes are so valuable. I'm super lucky right now in that I have several writerly friends who are kind enough to lend their eyes (and minds) when I quietly (or otherwise) wish. I try to reciprocate, because it is really a labor of love. :)

That is a SERIOUS gift they are giving, yes!!

I had to pay two people hundreds of dollars each to beta-read (big book, but still, big $ outlay for me!).

Beta-reading is something I'd be willing to do (free at this time in my life), so if folks here want to arrange to send me stuff (after the green bar in my calendar is deleted), do!

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2017, 03:59:16 PM »
Same, actually, time willing. :) With the caveat that short stories are really all I'm prepared to beta currently, and my own comfort zone is more in spec fic.
^__^

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2017, 05:18:40 PM »
I have a a decent outline finished AND a workable marketing plan. I'm going to do most of the writing in the summer, but the planning is going well!

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2017, 06:43:51 PM »
Alright! I submitted a short story to a spec fic place.
*rubs hands*
Let the rejection letters commence.... 8D
I mean, it would be great to get published, but even the feeling of being started is great, no matter what or what doesn't come of it. :)

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2017, 06:50:32 PM »
AWESOME, ORO!!!!!!

You are sure one who gets things done!

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2017, 06:53:34 PM »
AWESOME, ORO!!!!!!

You are sure one who gets things done!
>___> SOMETIMES.
(But thank you!!)

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2017, 07:31:02 PM »
I have a a decent outline finished AND a workable marketing plan. I'm going to do most of the writing in the summer, but the planning is going well!

This sounds delicious, Mezzie :)    Great job!!

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2017, 08:57:20 PM »
Alright! I submitted a short story to a spec fic place.
*rubs hands*
Let the rejection letters commence.... 8D
I mean, it would be great to get published, but even the feeling of being started is great, no matter what or what doesn't come of it. :)

Congratulations!! Getting to the point where you are, published or not, is an accomplishment!!

I will try to be inspired enough to get back on the wagon, myself. I have been falling off, but today I did a little writing and I will do a bit more now... yell at me everybody if you see me writing on MMM tonight instead of either working or going to bed.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2017, 09:15:30 PM »
yell at me everybody if you see me writing on MMM tonight instead of either working or going to bed.

Challenge accepted ;D

heh heh, I just checked...  Poundwise, you are being Very Good so far!

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2017, 07:16:11 AM »
I went to bed. :P

Today I will try to stay off MMM until I've done my writing again! I'm not sure why it is so easy for me to write paragraphs and paragraphs on a forum but it kills me to write three sentences otherwise.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2017, 09:09:09 AM »
I'm not sure why it is so easy for me to write paragraphs and paragraphs on a forum but it kills me to write three sentences otherwise.

In those first few minutes, it is so much lonelier in the latter space!

(But, after the first fifteen or so, when we sink into that glorious flow, writing solo is the least lonely space I ever experience.)

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2017, 07:41:20 PM »
I wrote 300 words today even though I super duper didn't want to.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2017, 08:32:25 PM »
I held firm on my upcoming writing space, declining to take on two volunteer gigs I tend to enjoy.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2017, 09:09:49 PM »
I'm not sure why it is so easy for me to write paragraphs and paragraphs on a forum but it kills me to write three sentences otherwise.

In those first few minutes, it is so much lonelier in the latter space!

(But, after the first fifteen or so, when we sink into that glorious flow, writing solo is the least lonely space I ever experience.)

Well, at least I started a new chain today.  But I think I have to follow your lead, Joon, and make more space in my life, somehow.  There is not enough me to go round!

Ox05

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Stock Music Musician
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2017, 06:49:03 AM »
I'm in! I'm about half way through writing a book on licensing music online. But I made most of that progress back in December. Time to buckle down and finish the book!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2017, 06:46:38 PM »
Welcome, Ox05!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2017, 04:26:12 PM »
Edging terrifyingly close...

So far I have:
Declined all invitations for additional work this month.
Processed five months worth of backlogged paperwork.
Completed all my school work.
Practiced multiple songs.
Washed all my dishes.
Completed tax return prep as far as is possible in early February.
Renewed domains for the year.

There is literally only one competing file left between me and the writing step I am so diligently putting off.
One.

Yikes.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2017, 04:33:14 PM »
You can do it Joon!! Just join me in five minutes of writing!

My latest chain is now 5 days long... and now, since it's Saturday, I'm going to try a second rep!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2017, 04:36:15 PM »
Okay! I am setting my timer now for 5 minutes of my 'next step' (submitting book to professional reviewer)...

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2017, 04:53:29 PM »
I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you, Poundwise!!!!

I set the timer for 5, and started.
I chose ONE place to submit to.
After 5, I did another 5.
Then another 5.
At which point the submission was complete!!

THANK YOU!!!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2017, 05:07:24 PM »
Thank you, SeaKayEl!!

Thank goodness (and you) for this thread. I was so overwhelmed and frightened. When I went to start typing in the submission page, my fingers started trembling! Then my whole body. I kept going (obviously). But I was sure in wonder at the incredible response of angst my body has to so many of the steps along the way...

Now I feel like dancing around. So I will :)

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2017, 05:19:37 PM »
You guys are BEASTS! :DD
Nice!!

I'm currently trying to break up my days by type of output. Some days are art, some days are writing. Doing writing every day currently seems... untenable. :/

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2017, 06:51:40 PM »
I just hit 25,000 words. I'm still going strong with my 30 minutes a day 6 days a week streak.

I just went to my second writers group meeting. To be honest, it was a little overwhelming to me, because today's topic was about self-promotion of the author once you're published. It was good information to know, but as I'm no where near published yet, it was a bit intimidating. Either way, the motivation is still strong, and I'm going to ride it for as long as I can keep it up.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2017, 08:03:16 PM »
I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you, Poundwise!!!!

I set the timer for 5, and started.
I chose ONE place to submit to.
After 5, I did another 5.
Then another 5.
At which point the submission was complete!!

THANK YOU!!!

Hey hey hey!  Great job, Joon!!! I'm so proud of you-- and you should be proud of yourself!!

And Izybat, 25,000 words-- that is some accomplishment!!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2017, 09:24:02 PM »
I decided to change the narrative on the next few pages of my story.  I'm finding it harder than the first time I wrote it...

I find this to be the case across the board for me. i.e., The first go is always the easiest. Every revision is progressively more challenging to pull off.

Go, SeaKayEl!

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2017, 12:07:45 PM »
There are other Mustachian authors?? I never knew this thread existed!

I am a published author working on a sequel to be published later this year. I will have to scan all the posts here in the next few days to see what everyone else is working on. I'm guessing privacy concerns will force most of us to be somewhat secretive about our projects, which kind of sucks.

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2017, 12:10:54 PM »
I'm in. I'm writing a cook book geared towards strength/performance athletes. I had originally thought I would finish it up last year, but it turned out a decent amount of material didn't fit with the actual book I was writing, thus a second book in the works. Cookbook will be completed first, and done this year. The other one, we'll see how I feel about it once I get a few more chapters written.

Anyone know a good resource for formatting a book? I could do it myself, but I'd rather pay $500, work an extra hour consulting, and enjoy my life a lot more than spend days formatting this damn thing.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2017, 12:18:10 PM »
Anyone know a good resource for formatting a book? I could do it myself, but I'd rather pay $500, work an extra hour consulting, and enjoy my life a lot more than spend days formatting this damn thing.

ha, yep!

After one major project, I vowed "never again". I promised myself that if I did the insane work again of developing an entire book, I would pay for certain rounds of proofreading, as well as for layout. I have kept that promise to myself.

I went through Amazon's CreateSpace for various tasks in the last project. I paid that company for layout, and am largely happy with it. I did have to pushpushpush for a readable font, it was critical to wait for a physical proof of each one before proceeding further, and there were a couple of small glitches that I missed (e.g. the layout hyphenated a domain url, which made it incorrect). But, if I do more projects, I will definitely pay for layout again and I would happily use CreateSpace.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2017, 12:20:12 PM »
There are other Mustachian authors??

So many! Only a handful are on this thread, but yeah, lots!

I'm guessing privacy concerns will force most of us to be somewhat secretive about our projects, which kind of sucks.

My latest is linked to in my sig :)

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2017, 12:25:57 PM »
Ug. I'm dropping in motivation, guys.
I need to continue to plug away on the Hard Long Story that is officially out of the glorious and worry-free first 10K words and into the 'oh god what am I doing' zone.
AKA everything is hard, and first drafts are always so, so rough.
I also need to continue to edit and write new flash and short stories.
(While simultaneously working on several art projects)

How do you guys motivate yourself when things slip into the 'less fun' part of the cycle? And yes, I know that you have to put in the time, that all first drafts suck, and that what is on the page never matches what is in your head.
I'm more looking for actionable suggestions-- do you have a routine that works for you? A reward for yourself for effort put in?-- rather than the usual "just do it" advice. :)

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: February 15, 2017, 12:29:11 PM »
I've self-published one novel and am getting ready to release the second on the twenty-first.  However, I have to rework a major plot point, but that's nearly done.  The first book hasn't sold that much, but I've learned a ton about self-publishing.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #88 on: February 15, 2017, 12:44:29 PM »
How do you guys motivate yourself when things slip into the 'less fun' part of the cycle? And yes, I know that you have to put in the time, that all first drafts suck, and that what is on the page never matches what is in your head.
I'm more looking for actionable suggestions-- do you have a routine that works for you? A reward for yourself for effort put in?-- rather than the usual "just do it" advice. :)

I would never say "just do it", because much of it is too damn hard to "just do", lol.

My biggest tricks to keep going through the rough times:

1. Change of scenery. If I just couldn't do another word/page at home, it was time to try a new location. A coffee shop, a cowork station, the library. Coffee shop worked best for me, because there was the right level of stimulation/sound/interaction with privacy. It also had other humans who appeared to have the same need, and I made them into my imaginary writing buddies, my pacers.

2. Warm bodies. See above. Other places I found warm, silent, writing bodies were at Just Write meetups, Writing Out Loud sessions, etc. Sitting near other people committed to silent focus does wonders for me. I want to star the Just Write meetups x1000. If there's not one near you, you can make your own!

3. Rewards. I set incentives, things to look forward to. "Every 1000 words, I get to have a hot drink." 'After five hours of work, I get a hot chocolate with whipping cream." Or a swim, or time in a hot tub, or to watch Netflix. Etc.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #89 on: February 15, 2017, 12:48:19 PM »
:3 Thanks, Joon!

ETA: Sorry if I was a bit peremptorily grumpy about potential advice. XD I went to a drawing class/session the other day and when I asked for assistance making the transition from being a half-way decent artist who mostly uses sketches and lines... to a painter (aka transitioning from lines to shapes as the main method of conveying a figure) I was pretty much told, "yup sure is hard."
>__>
Thanks, bro.
Yeah. I got that part.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 12:52:42 PM by Orvell »

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #90 on: February 15, 2017, 01:07:37 PM »
Ug. I'm dropping in motivation, guys.
I need to continue to plug away on the Hard Long Story that is officially out of the glorious and worry-free first 10K words and into the 'oh god what am I doing' zone.
AKA everything is hard, and first drafts are always so, so rough.
I also need to continue to edit and write new flash and short stories.
(While simultaneously working on several art projects)

One tool I've used to push ahead is the writing mini-marathon. Sometimes I'll do it for 4 hours, or maybe even 8 hours in a row. I check my word-count each hour. I post my hourly numbers on a sticky note, or if I need more motivation, on the writing forum I frequent. I can frequently crank out 500-600 words per hour, so an 8-hour marathon can result in almost 5,000 word, which is the equivalent to chapter, give or take. Yes it will need polishing and editing, but the groundwork is set.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #91 on: February 15, 2017, 01:33:13 PM »
That's a good idea, Nick. I often do "sprints" with friends (setting a timer for 20 minutes, pomodoro style, and having informal competitions followed by a break).
That sounds like a more meditative/solitary way of doing it. :)

I like your post-it idea, too.
For me, data collection can be a motivator!

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #92 on: February 15, 2017, 01:41:35 PM »

ha, yep!

After one major project, I vowed "never again". I promised myself that if I did the insane work again of developing an entire book, I would pay for certain rounds of proofreading, as well as for layout. I have kept that promise to myself.

I went through Amazon's CreateSpace for various tasks in the last project. I paid that company for layout, and am largely happy with it. I did have to pushpushpush for a readable font, it was critical to wait for a physical proof of each one before proceeding further, and there were a couple of small glitches that I missed (e.g. the layout hyphenated a domain url, which made it incorrect). But, if I do more projects, I will definitely pay for layout again and I would happily use CreateSpace.

Awesome, thank you so much!

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #93 on: February 15, 2017, 01:45:06 PM »
That's a good idea, Nick. I often do "sprints" with friends (setting a timer for 20 minutes, pomodoro style, and having informal competitions followed by a break).

I'm a fellow data nerd! I have dozens of spreadsheet tabs as I grind forward with my sequel because there are so many characters and settings and such.

And my problem with sprints is that I'm just getting warmed up when they end! I need a few hours at a time to get into the flow.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #94 on: February 15, 2017, 01:50:08 PM »

I'm a fellow data nerd! I have dozens of spreadsheet tabs as I grind forward with my sequel because there are so many characters and settings and such.

And my problem with sprints is that I'm just getting warmed up when they end! I need a few hours at a time to get into the flow.
It's true! :) But sprints are good for when I'm having attention problems that a marathon couldn't solve.

I have to admit, getting into Flow has been hard for me post adulthood. :/
I know the answer is to systematically remove distractions, but Actually Doing It is super duper hard. Both in terms of how many distractions there are, and how good they feel.
:/

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #95 on: February 16, 2017, 07:51:18 AM »
Two years ago I woke up in the back of a campervan in the middle of nowhere in Iceland, and couldn't get back to sleep until I'd written down the scene I had in my head. Since then, I've added almost 50 000 words, but it is still just a start. Part of the problem is that I've written most of it in English, which is my second language. Also, I've yet to decide the genre or age group I'm writing for. I know the stories I want to tell, but there are so many of them, and they can be adjusted to all age groups. I started out with adult fantasy romance, since that is what I read, but when I told the stories to my kids, they really loved them, insisted that their friends got to hear them too, etc. Since I've discovered I'm shit at writing sex scenes, changing the stories to YA would probably be an improvement. I've also considered illustrated books, but would need someone else to do the art.

To make it even more convoluted, Norway has two written languages, and although everyone is able to read both, one would give a larger mass market, while the other one probably caters to an audience that is more interested in my type of stories.

My goal for this year is to get more text written down, in any language, get some more flesh on the bones of the major characters, and straighten out the story lines.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2017, 09:08:06 AM »
All fabulous, gaja!!! I know the way you opened this post certainly drew me in :)

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #97 on: February 16, 2017, 09:17:00 AM »
All fabulous, gaja!!! I know the way you opened this post certainly drew me in :)
:)) Same!

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #98 on: February 16, 2017, 06:43:52 PM »
BOOM! 30,000 words. Still going strong.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #99 on: February 16, 2017, 07:18:30 PM »
BOOM! 30,000 words. Still going strong.
Great job!! :D