Author Topic: Find your zinger  (Read 4151 times)

payitoff

Find your zinger
« on: April 09, 2014, 03:18:51 PM »
i came across this blog which has wonderful posts from FI to mindful living. She had a task to find her "zinger". its a 10 minute exercise to write 100 incomplete sentences:

Number the left side of your paper from 1-100.
Write as fast as you can on one topic (see below for topic ideas)
You don’t have to write in complete sentences. Just get it down, even if some of it doesn’t make sense.
Repeats are okay.
Write the list in one sitting. It is the sheer volume of entries that dredges up the information from your subconscious mind.
When you are finished, look for patterns. Usually the first thirty items are pretty obvious to you. The second third often contains repeats, and somewhere in the last 10-20 answers, you’ll find a zinger that surprises you.

Some Ideas for Lists of 100:
100 marketing ideas for my business
100 ways I can make money
100 things I want to do
100 things I’m good at
100 things I’d do if I had the time
100 things I’m grateful for

- See more at: http://millionairemommynextdoor.com/2008/11/how-to-find-your-zingers/#sthash.6h25dxN5.dpuf

i think im going to write a list of 100 things i want to do, maybe this way i will find my side business/bucket list/ER stuff to do.

What's yours?

NumberCruncher

• Pencil Stache
Re: Find your zinger
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 09:25:45 AM »
Great idea!

Forcing yourself to write and/or come up with ideas can be really great. For any aspiring writers, I've heard writing "morning pages" can really unearth a lot - three pages, longhand, stream-of-consciousness writing every morning before doing anything else.

I might do the list idea for 100 things that make me happy or 100 ways I can make a difference.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 11:06:29 PM »
i came across this blog which has wonderful posts

Oh my.  You are not familiar with the saga of MMND, apparently.. :P

Maybe Nords or Brewer or one of the other "old timers" will chime in...

(Think: some of the ones we have seen here similar to joet or westchesterfrugal or kittywrestler, if any of those ring a bell.  Unapologetic Bull in a China shop is the best way to describe it.)

That being said, this was a decent post.  I threw a copy into an Evernote folder I have for my (future) "Get a Life Tree".

This was a blast from the past though, thanks for the laugh today.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 09:38:42 PM »

I still have her blog on my RSS reader in case she comes back to life.  I mean, shuts out the hacker.  I mean... whatever she was trying to do.

Her Zinger technique is probably sound, though.  It was her "proprietary S&P500 trading technique" that raised the eyebrows before she started flinging the gender card.

Herbert Derp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 11:29:01 PM »

(Think: some of the ones we have seen here similar to joet or westchesterfrugal or kittywrestler, if any of those ring a bell.  Unapologetic Bull in a China shop is the best way to describe it.)

That being said, this was a decent post.  I threw a copy into an Evernote folder I have for my (future) "Get a Life Tree".

I read her blog a little and it seems reasonable. Did she post here? I'm curious, do you have any links to the old discussions?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 12:14:40 AM »
No, much older than these forums.  Search on the E-R.org forums and you'll find some fun reading. :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 12:40:45 AM »

I read her blog a little and it seems reasonable. Did she post here? I'm curious, do you have any links to the old discussions?
No, much older than these forums.  Search on the E-R.org forums and you'll find some fun reading. :)
Most of it's a rehashing of the issues brought up by the Internet Retirement Police-- if you're still bringing in an income, are you really ER'd?  For someone who's been on TV she came across as a little thin-skinned.

She also had some interesting ideas on long-term stock market returns, asset allocation, and real estate.

She started here:
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f26/millionaire-mommy-next-door-32881.html

and things started to go even more off the rails in this thread:
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/question-for-millionaire-mommy-32894-2.html#post607446

payitoff

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 11:32:37 AM »
wow, sorry for bringing this back, although it was a helpful idea and now an entertaining read, it does bring back 'weschesterfrugal' memories

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 11:37:48 AM »
wow, sorry for bringing this back, although it was a helpful idea and now an entertaining read, it does bring back 'weschesterfrugal' memories

No apologies necessary.  It was a good link, and I actually plan to try it,  And seeing the URL gave me a laugh.  :)