Author Topic: February Running Challenge!!!  (Read 7303 times)

FitStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
February Running Challenge!!!
« on: January 31, 2013, 03:51:29 PM »
In the spirit of the monthly cycling challenge and inspired by the Run 365 challenge, I give you the February Running Challenge.  Feel free to duplicate a sheet for yourself and join the challenge.  Let's put some feet on the ground!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aq6-rHd-GwjGdHZhMlFaR2U1UHZRdk50T1drY0w4aEE
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 03:54:24 PM by FitStash »

StashinIt

• Stubble
Re: February Running Challenge!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 07:24:19 PM »
Oh man, I need to do this. I'm in. I only ran twice last month (total of like 5 miles) :-( Some friends have been talking about registering for a half marathon in April. I'll need a little bit of encouragement to take the leap!

The spreadsheet is read only right now, could you give everyone edit permission?

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 10:02:01 AM »
Awesome idea! I'm doing a 1/2 marathon in June, so I'll join up for next month's challenge.

FitStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 08:06:17 PM »
The spreadsheet is read only right now, could you give everyone edit permission?

Oops!  I just changed the permissions on it, so it should work now.

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 06:10:54 AM »
I'm in!  Unfortunately I couldn't figure out how to add myself to the tabs at the bottom of the page and didn't want to "experiment" too much in case I screwed up everything.

Running my first 5 km at the end of March.  :)

directionseeker

• Stubble
    • Let's Retire!
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 06:51:20 AM »
I just added myself in. Cheers!

FitStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 09:36:32 PM »
I'm in!  Unfortunately I couldn't figure out how to add myself to the tabs at the bottom of the page and didn't want to "experiment" too much in case I screwed up everything.

Running my first 5 km at the end of March.  :)

I've got you all squared away, you should be able to add your miles as usual now :-)

Bill76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 07:05:25 AM »
I'm training for my first half marathon on April 7, so this will help keep me on track.  Thanks!

FitStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 07:31:52 AM »
I'm training for my first half marathon on April 7, so this will help keep me on track.  Thanks!

Is it in Chattanooga?  I may run it with you.  It would be my first as well.

teacherman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 08:09:09 AM »
I'm in! Have fun everybody!

Bill76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 10:49:54 AM »

Is it in Chattanooga?  I may run it with you.  It would be my first as well.

My wife and I are both doing the Knoxville Half Marathon, so it's not far, but not local either.  We're going up Saturday afternoon, so it'll be our first 24 hours alone with no kids in over two years!  Currently, our speed is more accurately classified as a slow shuffle rather than a run, so you'd probably leave us in the dust anyway.  I did 8 miles on Saturday, and it took just shy of two hours.  Building up to 13.1 in two months is going to be a pretty good challenge.

I don't think we're doing any races in Chattanooga in the next 3-4 months.  I might do the Battlefield Half Marathon in November as a training run for a full 26.2 in December.  We might also do the Signal Mountain Pie Run in October or the Turkey Trot 5K on Thanksgiving, but those are just for fun.

FitStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 11:54:57 AM »

My wife and I are both doing the Knoxville Half Marathon, so it's not far, but not local either.  We're going up Saturday afternoon, so it'll be our first 24 hours alone with no kids in over two years!  Currently, our speed is more accurately classified as a slow shuffle rather than a run, so you'd probably leave us in the dust anyway.  I did 8 miles on Saturday, and it took just shy of two hours.  Building up to 13.1 in two months is going to be a pretty good challenge.

Sounds great!  I'll probably end up just shooting to run my own unofficial half around that time.  I'm a pretty terrible runner, but I'm planning on changing that over the next few months.

Good luck at your race, and I'm sure I'll eventually run into you in Chattanooga.

ECrew28

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 12:40:28 PM »
Totally In!  Which reminds me, I have to go back to my Run365 post and update my January numbers. 

ECrew28

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 12:44:38 PM »
Any way to change my tab to ECrew28 instead of ECrew18?  Not sure how that happened. 

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 12:52:15 PM »
Hi all--I added my February miles so far.

Good luck to everyone running races--I just did my first half marathon last June and now I'm on to a full in about a month. It can be addicting!

racherinh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 12:55:26 PM »
I've been running off and on since the summer, trying to get my lungs/strength back, but I keep getting derailed by moves, mold, family sickness. I think having somewhere to log my miles could help me avoid excuses and get back out there as soon as possible.

Any tips on running in the rain? Where I'm living this year the winter is full of settled, cold, rain. I'm used to waiting 10 minutes for the storm to end, and then heading out - here it can rain for days.

teacherman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2013, 01:40:57 PM »

Any tips on running in the rain? Where I'm living this year the winter is full of settled, cold, rain. I'm used to waiting 10 minutes for the storm to end, and then heading out - here it can rain for days.

I love running in the rain!! If you wear light, warm clothing (not cotton) put on some inspirational and/or badass music you will feel super tough and get a good workout. Pretend you are training for the military:) If it's raining more than a light sprinkle I will do a more intense running workout (intervals, hills, etc.); it keeps you warm and you can get back home quicker! Make sure you change into dry clothes right away and drink something warm...

FitStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2013, 11:30:11 AM »
Any way to change my tab to ECrew28 instead of ECrew18?  Not sure how that happened.

Yeah, I just typed it in wrong the first time (fixed now though).  You can make your name whatever you want, the only requirement is that your sheet and name in the column have to match in order for it to find your numbers.

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2013, 03:44:31 AM »
Updated for last week--ran 21 beautiful miles along coastal san diego yesterday. First marathon in 3 weeks. I think I'm ready for this!

StashinIt

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2013, 04:12:18 PM »
Updated for last week--ran 21 beautiful miles along coastal san diego yesterday. First marathon in 3 weeks. I think I'm ready for this!

Yay for San Diego!

What is the name of the Marathon?

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2013, 08:45:48 AM »

Yay for San Diego!

What is the name of the Marathon?

Hi fellow San Diegan! It's the Napa Valley Marathon. What is the half you were thinking of signing up for? I just saw the rock and roll course was released, it looks pretty nice. I did that last year and it was a good time.

StashinIt

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2013, 10:16:39 AM »
Hi fellow San Diegan! It's the Napa Valley Marathon. What is the half you were thinking of signing up for? I just saw the rock and roll course was released, it looks pretty nice. I did that last year and it was a good time.

http://www.sdhalfmarathon.com/

My two friends signed up, they are pretty excited, and they're ahead of me in training :-( But I'm going to do it! I'll have to put my bike down and put on the running shoes to get there!

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2013, 04:02:12 PM »

http://www.sdhalfmarathon.com/

My two friends signed up, they are pretty excited, and they're ahead of me in training :-( But I'm going to do it! I'll have to put my bike down and put on the running shoes to get there!

That course looks awesome! Well--except around mile marker 8-10--that's a bitch of a hill :) Good luck with your training.