Author Topic: February Cycling Challenge 2016  (Read 5931 times)

jordanread

February Cycling Challenge 2016
« on: February 01, 2016, 11:04:22 AM »
The cycling challenge for February is up and ready for you to start (or continue) riding!!
If you logged miles last month, and selected "Remember Me" on the form, you have been added to this month's sheet already.

If you didn't log miles last month, or are a new participant
Click here to fill out the form.
You can access the sheet directly at this link.
I can manually grab your historical data too, so if it's off, just let me know.  If they aren't there within a day, or you have any other issues with the sheet, hit me up via email, Google+ Hangouts, PM, or just comment on this thread.
Happy biking!!

TrMama

Re: February Cycling Challenge 2016
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 11:29:06 AM »
Thanks for getting this up, Jordan!

My mom decided to downsize her bike fleet this month and passed one on to me. It's going to be my new "errands and grocery hauler" bike and will replace the ancient mountain bike I've been using for that purpose. I'm stoked since the new one will likely fit me better (my mom and I are the exact same size) and the old mountain bike needed so many repairs it wasn't worth fixing anymore.

New bike = Good month

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 11:37:49 AM »
Had a fun ride home last night after breaking my rear deraileur cable mid-way through. Of course it only breaks when the chain is in the highest gear and the rest of my ride is all uphill. My knee did not appreciate it!

Technically when it breaks it will force the derailleur into the highest gear, so it's not by chance that it ended up in that gear.  The rear derailleur works with a spring that forces it to the outside, without a cable it's natural position is the highest gear.  When you shift you put tension onto the cable and that brings the trapezoid shaped derailleur towards the spokes.

If you were really far away and didn't want to ride in the highest gear on the rear and had the tools with you (my multi-tool has all the ones required) you could take apart the chain, remove a few links, bypass the derailleur and put it into a middle gear, essentially making it a single speed.  It would be important to note with this arrangement that you should not shift the front gear as you no longer have a derailleur on the back to tension the chain.

If you have a screwdriver, you can also leave the derailleur in place and just change the limit screws. Screwing in the High limit screw all the way will get you a couple of gears, then screw in the Low until it won't go anymore, so that the chain won't skip around.

Great tip, wish I would have thought of it.  I was going off the advice for what to do if your derailleur breaks, which I guess isn't an unheard of event, but yeah, that limit screw would surely make a difference if it's only the cable.

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 11:42:20 AM »
Yay!  Now I can log miles from the crazy nice weather....at least until it snows again!

Shor

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 11:52:11 AM »
Ugh, the morning commute.. I look out across the freeway to an endless sea of bumper-to-bumper traffic. I mentally brace myself for the longest drive-thru-to-work of my life...

"It's time to start biking to work!" *Rips off shirt*

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 05:54:55 PM »
Officially logged my fastest ride to/from work ever this morning, over 16mph average the whole way thanks to a 20mph tailwind!   Gotta say, it was pretty nice and I am definitely envious of the guy that had my opposite bike commute since 90% of the time I am riding against the winds when they are strongest (15mph is pretty typical for an afternoon headwind) and with them when they are weakest (usually 2-3mph tailwind in the am).  It was amazing to have the wind at my back like that!  So easy and so fast!!

Nancy

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 07:41:58 AM »
Thanks!

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 01:01:33 AM »
I almost didn't make my goal for the week, burned out on Wednesday, didn't ride at all on Thursday, and took an FTP test Friday night.  Finally had decent weather this weekend and got off the trainer and did two days of 70+ miles.  Today was absolutely perfect weather.  Started a bit overcast, but I didn't need the rain pants for warmth, just the bib tights.  Had a group ride at 10:30 so I left at 9 and got an extra hour and a half of riding in on one of my favorite routes.  Then the group ride had a nice group of strong riders for the there and back section, just loved it.

One of the most blissful parts is getting back home and after running all the errands for the day going to the garage with some good music on and cleaning the bikes, getting them prepped for tomorrows workout and commute.  While riding today I just felt so at peace, it was simply amazing.

TMBear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 10:32:42 AM »
Yay! I hadn't been starting my second car for 13 days in a row, used to be my daily commute. A bit of luck (my daughter's math classes were cancelled on the day I supposed to pick her up), but I think it's the longest no-second car timespan I've ever had. To be honest, my commute is only 3 miles to a free bus, but I hope to challenge myself to the complete 20-miles one-way when the weather improves.
On the side note it looks I'm much tougher than my bike! A lot of things failed on my bike to some extent during last two weeks - back brakes, both lights, fork bearings, seatpost, you name it. And my bike is only 15ish years while I'm 40!

jordanread

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 10:59:39 AM »
[...]
On the side note it looks I'm much tougher than my bike! [...] And my bike is only 15ish years while I'm 40!

I love that outlook!!

Nancy

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 07:07:56 AM »
It's getting exciting out there. Did some sweet fishtailing on the compacted snow. I love winter riding!

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 07:38:13 AM »
Yesterday was moderately snowy here so I finally put on my new studded tires (Schwalbe Marathon Winters, I'd been watching them on Amazon for a looooong time and the price finally dropped enough for me to justify the purchase, but then we had a few weeks or really unseasonably warm weather so they were just sitting around collecting dust).

Oh boy... on the one hand, it's nice to have so much grip and feel for the road; on the other hand, my legs are tired from my 7-ish mile round-trip commute yesterday (it was also REALLY WINDY, fwiw). But, I hate changing my tires so much I'll probably leave them on for at least a month. Here's hoping my legs are like powerful treetrunks by the time mid-March rolls around!

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 10:50:30 AM »
Yesterday was moderately snowy here so I finally put on my new studded tires (Schwalbe Marathon Winters, I'd been watching them on Amazon for a looooong time and the price finally dropped enough for me to justify the purchase, but then we had a few weeks or really unseasonably warm weather so they were just sitting around collecting dust).

Oh boy... on the one hand, it's nice to have so much grip and feel for the road; on the other hand, my legs are tired from my 7-ish mile round-trip commute yesterday (it was also REALLY WINDY, fwiw). But, I hate changing my tires so much I'll probably leave them on for at least a month. Here's hoping my legs are like powerful treetrunks by the time mid-March rolls around!
I just got this email today and your comment is timely for it:
Sun Flat Top 24" Off Road Unicycle

TrMama

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2016, 04:17:55 PM »
You know you're a mustachian when you can bike to work in the driving rain while  singing and grinning like a fool. My good mood this morning came from the duel wins  of biking to work (rather than driving the evil minivan) and good financial news yesterday.

La, la, la!

Nancy

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2016, 11:22:00 AM »
Glad to hear it, TrMama!

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2016, 04:22:29 PM »
We're having unbelievable weather here in Ontario ... it was 11 C and sunny today!!  Makes such a difference from my bike commute on Thursday morning when it was -29 C with windchill!!

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2016, 08:42:20 PM »
Similar odd weather here in Minnesota. Snow is mostly melted and forecasted to mostly above freezing this week. I don't know whether to pack up my cold biking gear for the season or keep it out!

Nancy

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2016, 07:57:13 AM »
I biked 20 miles on Saturday, which is a long trip for me. I had this strange feeling as if my legs could go on pedalling forever without any apparent effort.  Pretty neat.

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2016, 08:00:22 PM »
Awesome Nancy--and then you end up here: http://www.worldbiking.info/wordpress/

Nancy

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2016, 07:32:33 AM »
Wow! They are my heroes. I would love to bike tour the world! How amazing would that be? Thanks for sharing!

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2016, 08:21:15 AM »
I've been on vacation for the past couple weeks.  Have a folding bike I've been riding on before borrowing a road bike from a friend.  Finally found a wonderful place with lots of cyclists on my second to last ride.  It's been fun riding around Taiwan with all the scooters and drafting, and a constant North wind which I use to my advantage.  The only downside to the road bike is we couldn't get the non-drive side pedal off even with a lever, or a torch.

I have one last ride tomorrow before heading home which I am still planning, been wonderful weather here, in the upper 70's most of the time.  This is the place I plan on retiring to, and so far it has been a paradise for cycling.

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2016, 08:44:53 AM »
Crashed this am ~halfway to work.  Walked my broken bike 4 miles home.  Feeling sorry for myself home in bed now. 

The bad news - solid contusions on my thigh and elbow.  Don't think elbow is broken, though.  Bike will need some pretty good repairs...
The good news - it was so cold (55, don't laugh) that I was super bundled up (long pants, jacket, gloves) that I don't have any road rash. 

Any helpful hints in mending myself and my ego?  So far I've got ibuprofen and ice and cuddling under a down comforter.  =(

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2016, 09:01:04 AM »
Crashed this am ~halfway to work.  Walked my broken bike 4 miles home.  Feeling sorry for myself home in bed now. 

The bad news - solid contusions on my thigh and elbow.  Don't think elbow is broken, though.  Bike will need some pretty good repairs...
The good news - it was so cold (55, don't laugh) that I was super bundled up (long pants, jacket, gloves) that I don't have any road rash. 

Any helpful hints in mending myself and my ego?  So far I've got ibuprofen and ice and cuddling under a down comforter.  =(

:( Have some internet sympathy! I'm glad you're relatively ok.

jordanread

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2016, 09:56:55 AM »

Crashes are no fun, but for me, road rash is the worse. It hurts so bad cleaning it. If it's just contusions, the ice should help (at least for the first 24 hours, and then switch to heat). The thigh may hurt a bit, but don't get into any ninja fights and you should be fine. Keep the elbow immobile just in case it's a bone contusion. Painful, but not permanent.

What happened? And what's broken on the bike?

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2016, 10:49:55 AM »
Thanks, guys. 

Mostly I'm embarrassed because it was a series of bad decisions on my part.  A car rode closer than I liked when it rode past, so I started to hug the shoulder, which I know isn't safest.  Front wheel went off the asphalt into the grass (about a 3" drop), and I instinctively turned my wheel to try and get back on the asphalt instead of going with the drop and riding to a stop off the road.  My wheel couldn't get back up over the drop, and I ended up going down pretty impressively. 

As for the bike - Pretty sure my thigh hit the handlebars so hard that the fork twisted in it and the wheel isn't facing forward when the handlebars are.  The fenders are all messed up rubbing the wheels, but still intact, brakes disconnected and one of the handles for the brakes bent and is stuck in a weird position I've never seen it in before.  It's all stuff that Mr PoP has tinkered with or replaced at one time or another, so I'm pretty sure he can do it again.  =P 

jordanread

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2016, 11:07:20 AM »
Thanks, guys. 

Mostly I'm embarrassed because it was a series of bad decisions on my part.  A car rode closer than I liked when it rode past, so I started to hug the shoulder, which I know isn't safest.  Front wheel went off the asphalt into the grass (about a 3" drop), and I instinctively turned my wheel to try and get back on the asphalt instead of going with the drop and riding to a stop off the road.  My wheel couldn't get back up over the drop, and I ended up going down pretty impressively. 

As for the bike - Pretty sure my thigh hit the handlebars so hard that the fork twisted in it and the wheel isn't facing forward when the handlebars are.  The fenders are all messed up rubbing the wheels, but still intact, brakes disconnected and one of the handles for the brakes bent and is stuck in a weird position I've never seen it in before.  It's all stuff that Mr PoP has tinkered with or replaced at one time or another, so I'm pretty sure he can do it again.  =P

No need to be embarrassed. It's the nature of what we do. You want to talk embarrassing: I was speeding down a hill, took my right a bit faster than usual, knowing that my front tire was bald. I turned the wheel, but my bike kept going until it toppled over. Killer road rash, plus the fact that my bike is like a damn mobile command center, and I damaged my derailleur, my phone mount, my light, my light mount, and my shirt. It was pure stupidity.

TrMama

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2016, 12:29:39 PM »
Mostly I'm embarrassed

Ouch. Glad you're relatively OK.

It's always my pride that's most damaged after a fall too. I once crashed right in front of my kids' daycare just as all the other parents were arriving to pick up their kids too. Sadly, it was summer, so in addition to bruises and broken bits of bike left on the road, I also had road rash that was dripping blood down my leg. I had to walk into the daycare in that state to pick up my kids before loading the broken bike onto my car's bike rack to drive home. All while trying not to limp too much or get blood on any little people. So humiliating.

Take it easy today and keep an eye out for whiplash. Two days after the daycare pickup fall, my back completely seized up. I ended up going for massage treatments on the 3rd and 4th days after the fall. They helped a lot.

Make sure you check your bike over very carefully to make sure it's safe. Also check your helmet for any dents or scrapes and replace it if you find any damage.

Nancy

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2016, 01:29:12 PM »
Sorry to hear it, Mrs. PoP! I was just thinking this morning that it isn't a question of if I will fall again, but when. Glad to hear you weren't too injured!

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2016, 03:36:12 PM »
Thanks, guys.  You're all making me feel a lot better.  =)

jordanread

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2016, 12:08:13 PM »
Team,

The new challenge is up. The thread is located here.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!