Author Topic: February Cycling Challenge 2015  (Read 27180 times)

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
Re: February Cycling Challenge 2015
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2015, 12:39:31 PM »
I have been googling a few schwinn road bike pictures and see some very nice ones with fenders. Just curious if fenders are universal? I am ready to order but unsure what type/kind to get. I will get on this bike once I have it set up.

I need to install the interrupter brakes as well. I also need to remove the cages on the pedals. Since my commute is short I am going to try the ride with my normal work clothes. Harley boots, blue jeans, t shirt, and 2 other light coats, I still need to figure gloves but maybe it will warm up by the time I get this thing going.

What about these? http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_575884_-1___204660

A great thing about Nashbar that some don't know is they have awesome technical support.  By technical support they mean technicians who will help you step by step as you figure out what you need to buy and how to install it, not technical issues with the website (though I'm sure they have support for that too).  I had gotten a bike rack and couldn't figure out how to install it but they walked me through how to do it, patiently waited as I tried some things, and got me through it.  You can call them up before ordering and they may be able to help you decide if these will work for your bike.

Without a picture of the bike I can't really say much because road bikes can vary greatly depending on year and purpose of the bike.  A road commuter bike will be different than a road bike meant for racing.  Those fenders look similar to the ones I mentioned, not sure how they attach, but that is a question you could read the reviews on and call Nashbar.

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2015, 01:38:02 PM »
I have been googling a few schwinn road bike pictures and see some very nice ones with fenders. Just curious if fenders are universal? I am ready to order but unsure what type/kind to get. I will get on this bike once I have it set up.

I need to install the interrupter brakes as well. I also need to remove the cages on the pedals. Since my commute is short I am going to try the ride with my normal work clothes. Harley boots, blue jeans, t shirt, and 2 other light coats, I still need to figure gloves but maybe it will warm up by the time I get this thing going.

What about these? http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_575884_-1___204660

A great thing about Nashbar that some don't know is they have awesome technical support.  By technical support they mean technicians who will help you step by step as you figure out what you need to buy and how to install it, not technical issues with the website (though I'm sure they have support for that too).  I had gotten a bike rack and couldn't figure out how to install it but they walked me through how to do it, patiently waited as I tried some things, and got me through it.  You can call them up before ordering and they may be able to help you decide if these will work for your bike.

Without a picture of the bike I can't really say much because road bikes can vary greatly depending on year and purpose of the bike.  A road commuter bike will be different than a road bike meant for racing.  Those fenders look similar to the ones I mentioned, not sure how they attach, but that is a question you could read the reviews on and call Nashbar.

http://www.wayfair.com/Schwinn-Mens-Prelude-Road-Bike-S4030-YZ1190.html
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 01:41:03 PM by b4u2 »

joseveri

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2015, 10:09:26 AM »
Question-  I rode in today at 2 degrees with a 15 below wind chill. Cold as %$# but my gear is solid all around except my toe covers.  I was using thick wool socks and bellweather cold front shoe covers.  The shoe covers are not enough. 

Could you either suggest an alternative set up or do you think I could modify the shoe cover to add another layer of gortex to reinforce the toe area or something?

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2015, 10:34:11 AM »
Plastic bags in your shoes? Chemical heated toe packs, electric battery operated heated socks (that's se just sound luxurious!)

I use full on winter hiking boots and forego my clips in the winter. They are heavy but they keep my feet warm for 45minutes or so around 0F with two pairs of wool socks.

They do make two very nice clip compatible winter boots, from the fat biking fad, but i have thus far resisted the temptation.

So as my work today involves staying at home and looking after my two year old, In the spirit of winter bike to work day, I still got out and rode my bike downtown before she was up in search of the free breakfast and coffe that our local bike advocacy group put on. Unfortunately my bike lock locked up when I got there and I didn't have the faith to leave my bike out unlocked. Not totally a fail though, I think I doubled my monthly miles :)

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2015, 11:18:10 AM »
Heh, I forgot my lock a couple weeks ago. I almost decided to skip shopping at the store, but I was like: "who is going to steal a bike in the middle of a blizzard?"

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2015, 01:07:22 PM »

http://www.wayfair.com/Schwinn-Mens-Prelude-Road-Bike-S4030-YZ1190.html

Okay, so I googled the instruction manual for those fenders.  They go on very similarly to mine.  It attaches to the seat stays with rubber bands essentially, then the pivot has a small screw to hold them on, so you could remove them without removing the connector from the seat stay.  It goes through the brake and has another rubber band that wraps around the brake mount to hold it up above the tire.  You may have to play with the length of the arms to make sure that it doesn't rub.

I recommend keeping all extra parts from it because you may lose a screw at some point, I did once while transporting.  I found the nut but not the screw, luckily it came with a small bag of extras.  Also note if front and rear fenders are interchangeable, then if later on one part breaks, you can buy a new set and have lots of spares.  I haven't had anything break yet with my Crud RoadRacers MK2.

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2015, 02:57:20 PM »
I Aldo forgot my lock recently but fortunately there's a bike shop across the street from the grocery store and they let me leave it there while I shopped. Good people!

MiniMoneyGoblinChief

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2015, 08:20:59 PM »
I got sick for part of last month, so my mileage was much lower than I usual. I hope to get many more miles in this month, as I'm almost better!

Chuck Norris doesn't stop biking when he's sick. He gets sick on purpose so that other cyclists have a fair chance.

No, seriously, hope you get better :)

Dear the Goblin Chief, you have a son... and it's me.

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2015, 12:45:31 PM »
I installed the interrupter levers last night! They seem to work but not road tested yet. I reused the bar wrap but I will have to order new tape. 

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 11:21:34 AM by b4u2 »

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2015, 09:19:56 AM »
Hi guys,

I am really enjoying the biking now.  Yes, it is a stationary bike, but I am getting into it and increasing my minutes with joy. 

SweetTPi

• Stubble
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2015, 08:18:43 AM »
Well, I'm out for the rest of the week.  We got sleet and freezing rain here.  I found that biking on the ice was actually doable- there was enough texture to get traction- but hitting the frozen ruts left by traffic just sent the bike bouncing.  Bouncing sideways on ice is not my idea of fun.  Plus, although I have the widest knobby tires that fit my bike, the fact remains that it is a road bike, and less stable than a tank of a mountain bike.  Arg, I hate driving.

Anyway, an unrelated question for y'all.  I've been thinking for a while of replacing my clipless pedals on my (main) road bike, and I finally broke my last replacement cleat last week.  I have road shoes and clips, but have been thinking of getting mountain bike shoes so that I can actually walk in them.  The reason for getting them at all instead of sticking with platforms is one, that in the past I have rode for fun and want to start again, and two, I like the secure feeling of being clipped in.  One big question- are there booties that cover mountain bike shoes like they do road?  My main bike is also my commuter (at the moment) and this winter my toes have been saved by having booties.  Does anyone know?  Thanks!

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2015, 08:24:08 AM »
Anyway, an unrelated question for y'all.  I've been thinking for a while of replacing my clipless pedals on my (main) road bike, and I finally broke my last replacement cleat last week.  I have road shoes and clips, but have been thinking of getting mountain bike shoes so that I can actually walk in them.  The reason for getting them at all instead of sticking with platforms is one, that in the past I have rode for fun and want to start again, and two, I like the secure feeling of being clipped in.  One big question- are there booties that cover mountain bike shoes like they do road?  My main bike is also my commuter (at the moment) and this winter my toes have been saved by having booties.  Does anyone know?  Thanks!
Yup, I have booties that cover mountain bike shoes.

I also got mountain bike shoes so I can walk in them. However, a while after I bought them, I discovered these type of shoes exist: http://www.rei.com/product/878415/pearl-izumi-x-alp-seek-vi-bike-shoes-womens

Also, you could consider hybrid pedals like these: http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-PD-M324-Dual-Platform-Pedal/dp/B00AZ2OID8. I love them, as I'm a grad student and sometimes I don't want to put on my clipless shoes for short errands.

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2015, 08:33:32 AM »
I have hybrid pedals on both my commuter and my road bike - and I love them...

and there is nothing worse than being stuck in an ice rut, and unalbe to get traction up the side of it... my back alley is a skating rink of ruts like that right now. At least the main roads are mostly clear.

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2015, 08:54:31 AM »
What are the advantages of these bike shoes? My pedals have a "cage" I can't use them with my boots but once it warms up I'll switch to me cross trainer shoes. I may take the cage off the pedals I have but are these other pedals better?

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2015, 10:41:11 AM »
What are the advantages of these bike shoes? My pedals have a "cage" I can't use them with my boots but once it warms up I'll switch to me cross trainer shoes. I may take the cage off the pedals I have but are these other pedals better?
Clipless pedals are far better at attaching the pedals to your feet than the toe clips that you have. With toe clips, either they're too loose to really provide you a firm grip on the pedals, or they're too tight and become a safety hazard when you have to stop.

Clipless pedals are supposed to increase your pedaling efficiency because you can now use your "pulling" muscles as well as your "pushing" muscles. There's some debate as to whether this is actually the case, but I swear by them, especially on hills.

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2015, 12:24:34 PM »
Clipless pedals are far better at attaching the pedals to your feet than the toe clips that you have. With toe clips, either they're too loose to really provide you a firm grip on the pedals, or they're too tight and become a safety hazard when you have to stop.

Clipless pedals are supposed to increase your pedaling efficiency because you can now use your "pulling" muscles as well as your "pushing" muscles. There's some debate as to whether this is actually the case, but I swear by them, especially on hills.

So with clipless pedals you need special shoes then?

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2015, 12:37:04 PM »

Yes. They have screw holes to secure the cleats that come with the pedals.

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2015, 12:48:49 PM »

I don't mind the cage on mine for the long rides. Stopping is a pain at times. When I start riding to work, 2 miles, I don't think I want to be connected tot he pedals for that short ride with possible multiple stops. I might just take the cage off and use the standard pedals.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2015, 01:55:51 PM »

I don't mind the cage on mine for the long rides. Stopping is a pain at times. When I start riding to work, 2 miles, I don't think I want to be connected tot he pedals for that short ride with possible multiple stops. I might just take the cage off and use the standard pedals.

For my commuting bike I have these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004JKNUAO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I actually got them for recreational use, but like them quite a bit for normal commuting.  They helped with long rides where before my foot would start slipping on long ascents, now it mostly stays in place.  Well now I use my road bike with clipless SPD pedals, but I still enjoy these toe clips, easy to get in and out, and if need be you can even pedal with them upside down, like when starting at an intersection and you want to get across but didn't get your foot in right.  The added weight to the front means essentially that the pedal is generally in the same position each time you start so it is an easy move to train your foot to push the pedal, though it is the opposite motion from the clipless system.

Nancy

« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2015, 08:14:49 AM »
Any other snow/winter cyclists get called crazy by managers/colleagues for biking in "these conditions"? How do you respond?

At first I tried to explain that it seems scarier when you've never tried it (I used to feel the same way), but that I'm able to see over the snowbanks (higher up than in a car), have less inertia, can put my foot down/bail out if need be, blah-dee-dee-blah. That got tiring after a while, so now I just say yup! I'm crazy.

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2015, 08:21:22 AM »
Any other snow/winter cyclists get called crazy by managers/colleagues for biking in "these conditions"? How do you respond?

At first I tried to explain that it seems scarier when you've never tried it (I used to feel the same way), but that I'm able to see over the snowbanks (higher up than in a car), have less inertia, can put my foot down/bail out if need be, blah-dee-dee-blah. That got tiring after a while, so now I just say yup! I'm crazy.

I bike ~4 miles to work and one of my colleagues bikes 16 miles, but *he's* the one who calls *me* crazy for not having studded tires (I'm on city streets the whole way! It's really not necessary!). And another guy who bikes most of the year but stops when the snowbanks get high enough calls us both crazy for doing it at all. For others I mostly just go with "It's really not that bad!"

Yesterday when I got home from work the bike rack had fallen down and the whole kitchen was full of bike (mine and my boyfriend's) and rack and the other stuff we'd had hanging on the rack. I think after more than a week of no bike commuting the bikes are getting antsy. I rode to the subway today and I'm going to start riding for real tomorrow, snow be damned! Now if someone would just plow the three inches of snow remaining on my street so I didn't have to walk the bike to the corner...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 08:25:17 AM by mskyle »

jordanread

« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2015, 09:46:30 AM »

I've been enjoying (not this month) responding to that question/comment by asking people how they get in, and when they say drive, I always look crest fallen, and tell them I'm sorry for them. I hope they are okay. Don't they know how dangerous that is?

And then I walk away.

MidwestBiker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2015, 10:50:31 AM »
After 5 years I don't get many comments. But when I do, I like to say that winter biking is like down-hill skiing, with cars sliding by.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2015, 11:38:32 AM »

I've been enjoying (not this month) responding to that question/comment by asking people how they get in, and when they say drive, I always look crest fallen, and tell them I'm sorry for them. I hope they are okay. Don't they know how dangerous that is?

And then I walk away.
LOL.

This point kinda hits home for me, my friend got in a car accident yesterday....(both parties involved are fine, fortunately).

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2015, 04:36:10 PM »
Can anybody help psych a warm weather person up!?  I'm looking at the weather forecast and tomorrow am is 43, and the next day is 33!  Despite bike commuting almost exclusively for nearly 2 years, I've never ridden in weather colder than the high 40s and I'm a little intimidated.  Doesn't help that I'm kindof fighting a cold.  =/

Other than double socks, double tops, and gloves what else should I do?  Double pants?  Double gloves?  Triple tops (short sleeve, long sleeve + jacket)? 

I made the mistake of doing a scarf once and was sweaty by the time I got to work (9 miles away), but I think it was 47 that day. 

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2015, 04:59:05 PM »
Can anybody help psych a warm weather person up!?  I'm looking at the weather forecast and tomorrow am is 43, and the next day is 33!  Despite bike commuting almost exclusively for nearly 2 years, I've never ridden in weather colder than the high 40s and I'm a little intimidated.  Doesn't help that I'm kindof fighting a cold.  =/

Other than double socks, double tops, and gloves what else should I do?  Double pants?  Double gloves?  Triple tops (short sleeve, long sleeve + jacket)? 

I made the mistake of doing a scarf once and was sweaty by the time I got to work (9 miles away), but I think it was 47 that day.
With proper gear, cycling in the cold is easy. But I'm a recreational cyclist as well, so I splurged on a bunch of cycling gear (I could've been more frugal about it...but I do want to ride a century this spring....). Sounds like you don't have cycling specific clothes (not that you need them, but it certainly makes it easier).

In your situation I'd recommend having layers that you can easily shed. If your cotton clothes start absorbing sweat, it can get pretty nasty - that sweat will never dry for the rest of the ride, and when you get stuck at a light that sweat will start getting cold.
If you have any light wool layers, use those.

For me, three layers is great in 30 degree weather (and these are very thin cycling clothing layers). In the 40s, I find my three layers to be too much once I get warmed up (takes about 20 minutes, depending on when my first big hill is).

I enjoy my cold weather rides. The crisp air on my skin is quite nice. Don't be afraid of the cold!

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2015, 05:07:12 PM »
I am sorry mrs. Pop, at the moment I think I could bike in shorts if it were 43... It felt balmy at 32 this morning!  Ok let me think back to September when this would have felt cold..

Add a head warmer of some kind, double socks, wind proof layers that you can roll up or unzip if you get warm.

And go get her, you will warm up nicely once your riding.

jordanread

« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2015, 06:50:13 PM »

YOU'VE FREAKING GOT THIS!!!

How's that for psyching you up? :) But essentially, everyone else hit on the main point. When riding at that weather, without specific gear (i.e. layering your regular clothing), you should definitely stick to plenty of easily removable layers. Make sure you have something comfortable to carry them in. Also, wool and wicking materials for your base layer. It makes a wold of difference!! But seriously, you do have this!! You have to try it just once, and then you can really get your stuff locked in.

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2015, 07:09:02 PM »
Thanks, guys!  I usually wear wicking or spandex clothes for my commute, so I'll add extra layers of the same.  Removing them if I get warm is no problem since I can pull over and toss them in my bag if needed. 

Any suggestions on head covering?  I wear my helmet, but it's got vents.  Think I need anything else?  I usually ride to work with wet hair so I can brush it out nicely upon arrival and prevent helmet bumps, but maybe I need to make an exception these cold days and make sure I ride with dry hair in the morning, no? 

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2015, 07:19:13 PM »
I wear just a headband under my helmet, even in very cold weather (think teens or single digits) but it depends on your helmet... I got a fancy one full of vents for Christmas but I haven't been able to wear it - I get a freezing cold spot on my head. So it's back to my cheapo helmet until springtime. Cover your ears, that's the part that gets coldest.

But yeah, you got this!

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2015, 07:31:40 PM »
Thanks, guys!  I usually wear wicking or spandex clothes for my commute, so I'll add extra layers of the same.  Removing them if I get warm is no problem since I can pull over and toss them in my bag if needed. 

Any suggestions on head covering?  I wear my helmet, but it's got vents.  Think I need anything else?  I usually ride to work with wet hair so I can brush it out nicely upon arrival and prevent helmet bumps, but maybe I need to make an exception these cold days and make sure I ride with dry hair in the morning, no?
Headband will work. I also duct taped the vents in my helmet. Seems to work okay, not 100% though.

jordanread

« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2015, 07:55:32 PM »

Damn. Mustachian bikers are quick on the draw!! But for me, I wear a buff under my helmet. For <20F days, I add in a balaclava, but as others' have said, it's primarily due to the ears. A headband (assuming it works with your helmet...which is why I have a balaclava) will do just fine.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2015, 11:06:10 AM »
A thin balaclava if you don't want to tape your helmet. Otherwise, tape the helmet (I use clear packing tape, so less residue when summer comes back around) and use a headband.

If in doubt, either wear extra layers or bring them along just in case. Better to have them and not need them, than want them and not have them.

Sometimes in these in between temps I'll bring a layer I know I won't need, but want along just in case I sweat too much and want to change back into dry. The need for a dry change is mainly when you're doing hour plus rides, though.

If you're going to get rain at those temps, however, I'd strongly recommend a shell layer top and bottom. Getting soaked below about 50F gets you cold really fucking fast. It's miserable though not technically dangerous for short exposure times.

Nancy

« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2015, 12:37:36 PM »
I was gifted a merino wool neck warmer made by Buff seven years ago, and I wear that on my head instead of wearing it on my neck. It covers my ears and forehead and is so thin, it's like it's not even there, but it's super warm! I also go to work with wet hair, which hangs out in the bottom half of the neck warmer tube that hangs down my back. My head has never been cold.

Edited: wrong brand!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 07:14:33 PM by Nancy »

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2015, 01:09:22 PM »
I have a rain cap which I wear all winter. (okay, East coast people can stop laughing at our West coast winter).  It keeps the rain/snow (none this year)/wind off my head and keeps the heat in.  I also have a balaclava which I use when it is below 45F, and arm warmers when I am recreational cycling.  So far for winter I have worn jeans, t-shirt, long sleeve flannel shirt, balaclava, and gloves along with my riding jacket (Gore Tex rain jacket).  Shoes are either dress shoes or running shoes.  Just got some booties now for rain, and I keep them along with a pair of rain pants in my box on my bike for just in case.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2015, 02:35:59 PM »
I have a rain cap

I'm imagining poofy hair, in pink curlers, and....

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2015, 06:05:08 PM »
Thanks, guys!  Day 1 down, with the temp down around 50 with 20+ mph headwinds on the way home.  (I know that doesn't seem that cold to many of you, but I guarantee it was!) 

This winter has definitely been testing me with rain, cold, and other weather that is outside of our norm, but luckily these challenge threads have been great motivators.  =)

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2015, 09:06:13 PM »
Congrats Mrs. Pop. Frankly, I find the most difficult weather to dress for is 30's & 40's in the rain. If it's colder than that you won't get soaked and can always pile more layers on. Kudos to you!

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2015, 07:10:51 AM »
I made it!!!  It was 36!!!  Toes were a bit cold despite 3 layers of socks (maybe shoes with non-fabric toes would be better on cold days since the wind was cutting straight through), and hands were a bit chilly despite 2 layers of gloves, but 2 pair of compression pants, and 3 drywick tops (1 mock turtleneck, 1 regular long sleeve, 1 thicker drywick zip-jacket with a high neck) were just about perfect.  Oh and a fleece headband with ear coverage under my helmet.  That was lovely!

When my coworkers realized I biked in, they told me I deserved a medal.  =) 

jordanread

« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2015, 07:14:51 AM »
I made it!!!  It was 36!!!  Toes were a bit cold despite 3 layers of socks (maybe shoes with non-fabric toes would be better on cold days since the wind was cutting straight through), and hands were a bit chilly despite 2 layers of gloves, but 2 pair of compression pants, and 3 drywick tops (1 mock turtleneck, 1 regular long sleeve, 1 thicker drywick zip-jacket with a high neck) were just about perfect.  Oh and a fleece headband with ear coverage under my helmet.  That was lovely!

Way to go! If your toes were cold, there are two things I've had good luck with. Try dropping down to two pairs. With 3, it may cut off circulation. If its the wind, a plastic bag between layers works pretty well.

But I agree, you totally deserve a medal. Yay for milestones. Before you know it, you'll be so used to the colder rides that 30s will seem balmy.

Nancy

« Reply #90 on: February 20, 2015, 07:56:29 AM »

Well done, you! I agree with the non-fabric shoes. I wear my leather hiking boots with one pair of wool socks=toasty (obviously everyone is different)!

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #91 on: February 20, 2015, 02:53:11 PM »
way to go!

I second the plastic bags between your sock layers, even one of those little sandwich baggies over only your toes can work well in a pinch. But if you have warmer, wind/water resistant shoes that would be great too.
I find feet the hardest to keep warm.

We are still having a balmy winter here, one of the warmest februaries that I remember :) (sorry easterners)

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2015, 09:42:33 AM »
Man. I know a lot of it is more due to temperature than a lack of fitness, but it's discouraging when I'm completely out of breath and gassed after 11 miles (@ 10F/-12C and a pretty stiff headwind at the beginning and end of my ride).

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2015, 11:09:41 PM »
Had a great weekend cycling!  Got 116mi in.  This winter has just been incredible, with highs in the 60's these past couple weeks.  Beat my personal distance record, from 63.4mi to 67.1mi.  Also thanks to a comment in one of MMM's articles (still reading from the beginning) I have decided to start trying my hand at making my own sports drink.  Picked up some "lite salt" which is roughly a 50/50 mixture of potassium chloride and sodium chloride, should be interesting to try it on my next ride, but I'll make sure I bring some plain water as backup.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #94 on: February 23, 2015, 05:38:50 AM »
Had a great weekend cycling!  Got 116mi in.  This winter has just been incredible, with highs in the 60's these past couple weeks.  Beat my personal distance record, from 63.4mi to 67.1mi.  Also thanks to a comment in one of MMM's articles (still reading from the beginning) I have decided to start trying my hand at making my own sports drink.  Picked up some "lite salt" which is roughly a 50/50 mixture of potassium chloride and sodium chloride, should be interesting to try it on my next ride, but I'll make sure I bring some plain water as backup.

Insanely jealous of your miles and weather! My mileage the past months has been pathetic.

On the sports drink, I'd recommend sea salt, ideally Himalayan or Andean (those salts come from ancient oceans not contaminated with modern pollution). The reason being that the mineral content of ocean brine is almost precisely the same proportions as human blood, so you get everything in the correct amounts, including trace minerals.

I will probably try DIY sports drinks for shorter rides, so curious about your recipe experiments. Last year what I did was water, then carried saltier than normal homemade granola as fuel+mineral supplement. Seemed to work quite well even on the hottest days when we (as a family) were burning close to a gallon every hour or two.

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #95 on: February 24, 2015, 09:06:16 AM »
Challenge of the week - attempting to bike 2km downhill withough sweating @ 50F... What a warm overnight low!
Without adapting too much because it's the overnight lows are going back down to 10-15F

We barely get overnight lows that warm in July... love chinooks (except for that wind part)

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #96 on: February 24, 2015, 10:41:08 AM »
Commuted in and home yesterday and today! First time I've bike commuted two days in a row in weeks. First time I've gone in to work on a Monday in weeks, for that matter. But the snow is melting, or at least compacting. I guess we're getting a few more inches tonight so we'll see if I can get it to three days in a row...

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #97 on: February 24, 2015, 10:08:11 PM »
I'm back! Commuted to new job from the new place for the first time. Just about 5 miles, but an EASY ride. There is a bike lane about 1/2 the way, then it turns into an off-road cycle path. I was a bit worried about the last intersection before my work, as it is a busy street and I'd have to make a left, but something I hadn't seen when driving that route in the rental car: The off-road cycle path has an underpass that allows pedestrians/bikers to ride under that intersection. Score!

Also, it was a bit chilly this morning, below freezing. I still road in because it was blue sky and sunny. So 2nd day on the job, I met one of my co-workers for the first time. Other co-worker asks first if they biked in. They replied, no it was too cold. I schooled them a bit when I said, "I rode in. It wasn't bad at all." LOL
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 10:25:37 PM by Wolf_Stache »

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #98 on: February 25, 2015, 07:18:17 AM »
More snow today and this weekend here. Because of my physical issues with the cold I will be working my way into riding. I honestly figure April/May time frame. I will spend these months doing upgrades to the bike I have so that it will be ready for all weather riding. If I start in the spring I can then work myself up to ride in the winter here. Over the summer I'll be looking for some gear that will keep my hands from suffering, maybe it will be on sale as well???

I added interrupter levers recently. My next thing is fenders. I will also be looking into better tires and tubes. I am thinking thorn proof tubes and gator skin tires. There is no trail to my work and the roads are insane with holes and cracks. I am hoping my road bike will handle it. If not I will try a mountain bike.

jordanread

« Reply #99 on: February 25, 2015, 09:31:04 AM »
I'm back! Commuted to new job from the new place for the first time. Just about 5 miles, but an EASY ride. There is a bike lane about 1/2 the way, then it turns into an off-road cycle path. I was a bit worried about the last intersection before my work, as it is a busy street and I'd have to make a left, but something I hadn't seen when driving that route in the rental car: The off-road cycle path has an underpass that allows pedestrians/bikers to ride under that intersection. Score!

Also, it was a bit chilly this morning, below freezing. I still road in because it was blue sky and sunny. So 2nd day on the job, I met one of my co-workers for the first time. Other co-worker asks first if they biked in. They replied, no it was too cold. I schooled them a bit when I said, "I rode in. It wasn't bad at all." LOL

Hell yeah. Gotta love nice commutes w/ bikes having the advantage. :-) Congrats again on the new job.