Author Topic: February Biking Challenge!!!!  (Read 16918 times)

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
February Biking Challenge!!!!
« on: January 31, 2013, 02:29:59 PM »
Last month we had 35 riders and a collective 3,883 miles (6,248 km)! That's more miles than in December!

Also I'm psyched to report that we've logged a total of 14,737 miles (23,717 km) since the monthly challenges started! That's more than half way AROUND THE EARTH!

We've stopped over 7 US tons (6.7 tonnes) of CO2 from being polluted! All while getting fit, having fun, and saving $.

Here's the new spreadsheet for February:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Am8qaK8Qf80edERXRG15N19aOTBpRTQxR3ExZkFoRmc

If you contributed miles to the January challenge, you already have a page on the spreadsheet set up for you. Please let me know if you see any errors on the spreadsheet or need some help getting your name on there (for new riders).

Just to keep things interesting, names on the spreadsheet are organized by most miles logged in January (as of this morning).

How are everyone's biking resolutions keeping up? Let's hear it in the comments.

Lastly, we usually have a random biking question to answer on the Master page of the spreadsheet. Anyone want to add one? (in the past we've had "what's your bike" and "average temp in your location")

FitStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: February Biking Challenge!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 03:19:32 PM »
Man, I like seeing the "Ever" stats.  Good job!

FitStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 03:20:49 PM »
Also, I'm stealing your format for making a running challenge.

StashinIt

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 07:20:30 PM »
Thanks Yolfer! I added the random biking question "Favorite/Most Beautiful place you've ever ridden (or would like to) ride". I was inspired by a quote from Louis L'Amour "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen". Seemed appropriate for biking.

martynthewolf

• Stubble
    • The Frugal Wolf
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 03:01:21 AM »
Thanks for setting this up again. I wanted to commute into work again today on my bike, however after Wednesdays effort my arse is still bruised to hell and I can't actually sit on the bike. Hoping it's recovered by Monday so I can get on it again. Out of the 19 work days this month I'm hoping to commute by bike 10 times (arse willing).

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 06:30:51 AM »
Thanks for setting this up again. I wanted to commute into work again today on my bike, however after Wednesdays effort my arse is still bruised to hell and I can't actually sit on the bike. Hoping it's recovered by Monday so I can get on it again. Out of the 19 work days this month I'm hoping to commute by bike 10 times (arse willing).

It sounded like you were pushing a bit too hard after a long layoff.  Work your way up to it man.  Anyone can hop on a bike and do 20 miles . . . few can do it comfortably three days in row without getting in shape.  Do short runs to get groceries and run errands until your body is adapted.

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 07:25:26 AM »
Thanks Yolfer!  We should be able to go 'round the world in a calendar year - what do you think?  This month has 20 weekdays...I'd like to go 20/20.  Freezing rain is the only thing I'm not keen to ride in - hopefully there won't be any! 

The Taminator

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 07:33:52 AM »
I was MIA in January. Well, technically I was in Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands for about two weeks. I did bike one day on vacation. I took a bike excursion that drives you up to just below the snow line on Cotopaxi Volcano then you ride down. Did that on my 40th birthday. What a ride! Didn't get to do the whole ride since my best friend took a couple of bad spills so I had to sit in the truck with her for a bit. She ended up breaking a wrist and getting six stitches. Yikes! I came back to kitchen renos and nasty weather so biking hasn't started up again yet. That starts Monday morning.

Edit: I just looked at the sheet and I'm not on it. Can you add me Yolfer? Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 07:35:44 AM by The Taminator »

martynthewolf

• Stubble
    • The Frugal Wolf
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 08:27:07 AM »

It sounded like you were pushing a bit too hard after a long layoff.  Work your way up to it man.  Anyone can hop on a bike and do 20 miles . . . few can do it comfortably three days in row without getting in shape.  Do short runs to get groceries and run errands until your body is adapted.

But, but.... I thought it would be easy.

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 08:53:37 AM »
I was MIA in January. Well, technically I was in Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands for about two weeks. I did bike one day on vacation. I took a bike excursion that drives you up to just below the snow line on Cotopaxi Volcano then you ride down. Did that on my 40th birthday. What a ride! Didn't get to do the whole ride since my best friend took a couple of bad spills so I had to sit in the truck with her for a bit. She ended up breaking a wrist and getting six stitches. Yikes! I came back to kitchen renos and nasty weather so biking hasn't started up again yet. That starts Monday morning.

Edit: I just looked at the sheet and I'm not on it. Can you add me Yolfer? Thanks!

Added you! Welcome back to the biking challenge! Happy Belated B-day!

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 08:55:41 AM »
Also, I'm stealing your format for making a running challenge.

Great idea! I'll join next month's running challenge, when I start training for a 1/2 marathon.

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 08:56:20 AM »
Thanks Yolfer! I added the random biking question "Favorite/Most Beautiful place you've ever ridden (or would like to) ride". I was inspired by a quote from Louis L'Amour "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen". Seemed appropriate for biking.

Great question! That's a good quote. Gotta remember that when I start getting to serious on the saddle.

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 08:59:06 AM »
Thanks Yolfer!  We should be able to go 'round the world in a calendar year - what do you think?  This month has 20 weekdays...I'd like to go 20/20.  Freezing rain is the only thing I'm not keen to ride in - hopefully there won't be any!

Yes, I think we can do it! If we did 1/2 way around the world in 4 months, we can go the rest of the way in the next 8! Maybe we can try to go around the world twice!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 03:14:08 PM »
Just wondering, but any way we could get a cumulative yearly total of miles ridden in the sheet?

jwystup

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2013, 03:57:40 PM »
One more month until my 1st anniversary of riding to work all the time! (well, close to it - I think it was the 2nd week of March last year that I started). Once I get there, this should be cake.

I made it through riding to work on a bicycle in January in Buffalo. I had to drive a bit, mostly due to wind! This week was bad and we're getting pounded with some lake effect right now. We'll see what February throws at me.

Also added to the mix - I'm doing a weight loss challenge at work again this year and one requirement is that if you don't lose 1%  in a given week (which is mostly impossible anyways), you have to do 5 miles of extra cardio. Each month, 5 miles get added so soon it'll be 10 miles, etc. I've pledged that I will do my extra miles on top of what I ride as part of my commute. I don't have access to indoor cardio equipment, so it's out in the snow for me!

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2013, 01:03:45 PM »
I added a tab for myself but do not see where I am added on the Master Summary.

On the plus side, I just moved - bike commuting here I come!

Edit: I figured it out.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 05:23:32 AM by smalllife »

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2013, 10:51:35 PM »
Just wondering, but any way we could get a cumulative yearly total of miles ridden in the sheet?

Yes! Look at cell B54, "Total Distance EVER"

martynthewolf

• Stubble
    • The Frugal Wolf
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2013, 01:38:54 AM »
Back in the saddle this morning. It was much more comfy and I knocked 4 minutes off the commute into work on the first ride last week. Feeling good.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2013, 08:05:35 AM »

Yes! Look at cell B54, "Total Distance EVER"

I was actually thinking of an individual yearly total for each person.  :P

kythuen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2013, 08:06:50 AM »
Pretty cold this morning, but not too bad.  Bright and sunny.  I had to blink a bit when I got to the train station and realized I'd have to fight for space on the bike rack.  In February.  In BOSTON.  Climate change is totally real.

norvilion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2013, 08:18:35 AM »
Could you toss me on the sheet? Now that I have a bike and have discovered that I can make it a good percent of the way to work I'd love to contribute to the challenge :D

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2013, 09:37:14 AM »
Can you add me to the sheet?  I'll be starting next week now that my health is improving.

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2013, 12:40:16 PM »
SwordGuy and norvilion, I added both of you. Welcome! Let us know if you have any questions.  Have you seen the Winter Bike Commuting thread?

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/winter-bike-comute/

norvilion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2013, 01:02:28 PM »
Thanks, and sure thing. I think I've glanced over the thread but haven't read it in full detail. Luckily it seems for the moment the weather is on an upturn over here, with it being a nice 42F tomorrow morning. Main thing I'm going to have to power through is my mostly-uphill morning commute ('twill be tough, but if I can make that I'll definitely be on the path to getting good endurance :D)

martynthewolf

• Stubble
    • The Frugal Wolf
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2013, 03:03:29 AM »
Ugh, a bit pissed this morning, I was wanting to bike but the weather forecasted snow so I drove. Got to work, it's sunny with not a cloud in the sky. It better get baltic later otherwise I'm not going to be happy.

kythuen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2013, 08:18:45 AM »
The saddest sight ever - a bike on the front of a bus.  Worse when it's YOUR bike.

Last night, just as my train pulled in, I realized I'd left my front bike light charging on my desk at work. The road I ride home from the station on is rough, lots of little potholes and cracks that can knock you over.  I didn't feel safe riding without it, so I unchained fast and made it to the bus just as it was about to pull away. 

I'm not very mechanically inclined, so figuring out how the bike rack worked in the two seconds I had before I had to use it was interesting.  :)

The first thing I did when I got to work today was pop the light into my bike bag.  I'm all set to go for tonight.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2013, 05:52:37 PM »
It was drizzly with a threat of rain when I left this morning.  I thought about turning back but didn't and was rewarded with a relaxing ride home.

Skinnyneo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Tsumashiku Kurashii - Living Frugally in Japan
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2013, 11:03:50 PM »
Dang!  Had a four day weekend for jr. high school entrance exams so haven't been in the saddle for a few days!  Gonna get back on it today.

kythuen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2013, 09:00:29 AM »
Nice rides yesterday and today.  Had to pull out the winter bike again today because there was snow on the roads from an unexpected flurry last night.  It was a gorgeous ride this morning, blue sky and white lawns, without a lot of ice on the roads. 

I've pre-emptively declared Friday a work-from-home day, since we're expecting a nor'easter to drop about a metric ton of snow on us from Thursday night through Saturday.  If it's bad enough, the company may close Friday altogether - we're pretty happy to declare snow-days whenever the situation calls for it.  :)

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2013, 04:31:14 PM »
Driving to work tomorrow - my leg strength isn't quite up to par.  I'll get there sooner rather than later but I want the habit to stick (although I'm pretty sure it already has, the thought of driving in tomorrow is depressing.).

martynthewolf

• Stubble
    • The Frugal Wolf
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2013, 01:44:06 AM »
Twice this week for me so I'm happy,

Driving to work tomorrow - my leg strength isn't quite up to par.  I'll get there sooner rather than later but I want the habit to stick (although I'm pretty sure it already has, the thought of driving in tomorrow is depressing.).

I can empathise with this. My leg strength isn't quite there yet, they feel tired and I'm starting to ache a bit. I'm offsetting the driving blues with the knowledge that even though I'm driving today and tomorrow, I've ridden more miles than I've driven.

norvilion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2013, 10:08:18 AM »
I never actually unpacked my bike from my car on Tuesday and worked from home yesterday. Getting in the car this morning I wasn't sure if I would bike or not, slightly chillier weather and possibility of rain later. As I drove down the high-speed/high-traffic roads next to my house I realized that I actually wanted to bike this morning so I altered my route slightly to park by the university football field and took my usual route.

It's rather nice, apparently I've gained endurance enough after just 2 commutes worth of riding that it isn't nearly so troublesome of an experience. Slow/low-traffic road to start out with, followed by a ride through the park, a good challenging stretch of uphill bike lanes afterwards and finish off with a mostly downhill stretch. The real kicker is that I get to the office at about the same time thanks to the time gained by not walking a half-mile from my parking spot to get to the building.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2013, 11:51:48 AM »
Looks like 10 - 15 cm of snow on the bike home tonight.  Glad I biked, as it takes me more time to drive in these kind of conditions.

kythuen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2013, 08:07:51 AM »
Reporting in from north of Boston, as we prepare for Snowmageddon 2013.

I didn't have to commute today - work was cancelled due to the oncoming storm.  I had to drive my room mate in to the station for work, though (I hate her employers) so I was up at the crack of dawn.  Then for the hell of it I went for a bike ride anyway, since I’m about to be shut in for two days! 

It wasn’t all that cold -- I didn't even have to bust out the winter bike or the serious gloves -- and the snow was just starting to come down.  I was out for about an hour, I guess, and found a new, less trafficky route to the train station.  More hills, but less chance of death by crazy driver, so that's a win.

Everybody is seriously battening down for the weekend here -– I think I saw about fifty SUVs unloading piles of groceries and water bottles while I was out.  I hope everybody in the area is tucked in safe and warm (and has their shovels handy!)

mpbaker22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2013, 02:02:41 PM »
I live 13 miles from work for now, and my work doesn't have showers (they do but you have to have a membership to the gym to use them - maybe the $16/month would be worth the savings, but I'm not sure I want to bike 26 miles ...).

I have decided not to use my car ... ever from Friday afternoon through Sunday morning.  I started that mid-january and have biked ~50 miles since then.  20 miles last Saturday + ~5 on Friday. 3-4 the weekend before that. 12-15 the weekend before that. (plus short trips during the week).
Temperature started around 25 last Saturday, but I was in a light biking jacket and a t-shirt by the time it hit 45.

The Taminator

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2013, 02:28:44 PM »
No ride for me today. We've got about 25 cm of snow forecasted so the roads are pretty bad. It's been coming down steady since I got up this morning. I walk in these conditions instead. It's a nice walk.

kythuen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2013, 02:58:08 PM »
It's going to be a while before I can get my bike back out to the road....

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2013, 02:59:35 PM »
Someone's being a complainy pants . . .

norvilion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2013, 06:44:51 AM »
Well, there's my first experience getting honked at on my way to work. I was indeed going a bit slower than normal (fairly tired this morning) but they honked as they were passing me with no oncoming cars. Mostly I was befuddled by what their problem was, and slightly amused by the fact that they were getting irritated at a biker while driving an Audi SUV in a bit of a rich neighborhood (with a red light right ahead no less, so I had plenty of time waiting there when I caught up).

Edit: Oh hey, I suppose this was a fitting post for me to go from the stubble title to bristles :P

martynthewolf

• Stubble
    • The Frugal Wolf
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2013, 07:24:10 AM »
Well, there's my first experience getting honked at on my way to work. I was indeed going a bit slower than normal (fairly tired this morning) but they honked as they were passing me with no oncoming cars. Mostly I was befuddled by what their problem was, and slightly amused by the fact that they were getting irritated at a biker while driving an Audi SUV in a bit of a rich neighborhood (with a red light right ahead no less, so I had plenty of time waiting there when I caught up).

Edit: Oh hey, I suppose this was a fitting post for me to go from the stubble title to bristles :P

The only people I've had some stick from so far are colleagues driving past me on the way home. I've mostly only met really considerate drivers so far, or at least not met one that actively wants to run me off the road.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2013, 07:25:09 AM »

When I get honked at I just give the driver a big smile and wave.  Then they think that I think they were honking in a friendly manner which brings about one of two things:
- They get their head out of their ass and smile back at me
- They become filled with rage and jealousy, speeding away, never to be seen again

Either way, I win!

BayIslandSaver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2013, 11:55:52 AM »

When I get honked at I just give the driver a big smile and wave.  Then they think that I think they were honking in a friendly manner which brings about one of two things:
- They get their head out of their ass and smile back at me
- They become filled with rage and jealousy, speeding away, never to be seen again

Either way, I win!

I got to remember to do this.  Thanks for the tip!

squashroll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2013, 12:00:26 PM »
Someone's being a complainy pants . . .
LOL

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2013, 01:17:17 PM »

Congrats on the bristles. Whenever I get honked or yelled at, I always think of this article:

http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/road.html

windawake

• Bristles
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2013, 04:51:22 PM »
Be careful out there! I know biking in the winter is badass, but it can also be incredibly dangerous, especially if you're so dedicated to biking that you don't give it up despite snow or ice (like I did last winter which caused a scary wipeout).

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2013, 05:57:17 PM »
On the Anti-badass front, Florida continues to have a gorgeous, mild winter.  Temps today were 79, sunshine..I rode 30 miles to clear my head after an annoying day at work.   :-)

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2013, 12:14:46 PM »
That must have been so awful.

martynthewolf

• Stubble
    • The Frugal Wolf
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2013, 12:18:11 PM »
Awesome ride home tonight, we had a bit of a snow storm, which made it interesting. Snow really hurts if it hits you in the eye, so I mostly rode along with one eye open at a time.

Now I've ridden in the snow I've no excuse to not do it in any other weather type now.

I also had my first road rage driver wind their window down and shout something that I didn't hear properly, I was cycling a little more into the road than usual as the snow was building up at the edge and I didn't want to slip off and go under a car. I'll be cycling tomorrow so I hope it clears up a little bit.

norvilion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2013, 01:30:02 PM »
Definitely a good idea biking more into the road in that kind of weather. I know before I started cycling myself when bikes rode on the edge of the lane I was under the assumption that they were basically saying "You don't have to give me much room, I'll be fine if you stay fully in this lane while you pass me". Now that I've started biking I know that cars passing within a few feet of you can be rather intimidating, so I tend to ride on the right 1/3 of the lane. I figure if there isn't enough room for a car to slip by and still stay in the lane they are more likely to give me more room as they pass ("Well, if I have to get in the other lane for this silly slow bike I might as well go full out so I can zoom by with zeal").

You may consider some construction glasses for riding. They don't take away vision like sunglasses can and they double as safety glasses if you do any DIY work that would require them. A lot of them don't look half bad either.

Mrs WW

• Stubble
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2013, 02:45:10 PM »
A comment to the money saved bit on the spreadsheets:

Since Im in a northern european country gas costs no less than 2.3$ per liter, around 9.2$ per gallon, which should almost triple my monetary contribution to the dollars saved section :)