Author Topic: February 2021 Goals  (Read 2067 times)

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
February 2021 Goals
« on: January 31, 2021, 01:44:36 PM »
On to February!

General:
1. Read
  a. At least 4 books total
  b. 2 Nonfiction books
  c. Start reading philosophy
  d. 2 from TBR list
2. Keep House Tidy
3. Exercise or Walk Outside

Crafting:
4. Finish seams of Red PJ Pants
  a. Clip Seams
  b. Iron Seams
  c. Hand Sew
5. Make new PJ Pants
  a. Cut Fabric
  b. Machine Sew Seams
  c. Machine Finish Seams
  d. Drawstring
  e.  Clip and Hand Sew Seams (if needed)

Home Renovation:
6. Install Insulation
  b. Back Wall (foam board)
7. Install Drywall
  a. Ceiling, Back Room
  b. Back Wall
8. Spackle Joints, Front Room
  a. Front Wall, 3rd Coat
  b. Ceiling, 2nd Coat
  c. Ceiling, 3rd Coat
9. Remove Window Trim
10. Brick Wall
  a. Re-mortar
  b. Install Furring Strips
  c. Install Drywall
11. Vacuum (ongoing)
12. Schedule Electrician

Extra Side Projects:
13. Frame and Hang Picture

Complete
Progress/On Track
Behind Schedule
Did Not Meet

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
Re: February 2021 Goals
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 10:00:12 AM »
Raenia - you do realize just reading your long to-do list is exhausting:). JK
Thanks for continuing this monthly challenge - it does prod me into action whenever I get too lazy.

Well, it's time to

1. Do my taxes - ..... checking today to see if I have all supporting documents
2. De-clutter - one item - one drawer - one stack of paper - the kitchen counter - start spending 15 min a day decluttering the closet - Daily Challenge!:)
3. Sign up for a new small savings account - ... free bonus money $100 plus extra interest.
I've been putting this off because I'm revamping my financial plans and wasn't sure whether it would make sense to do. 

Garden
1. Devise a new plan - working on it
2. Weed - fertilize - cut back - working on it
3. Do one of the projects leftover from last fall ..... this is "hopeful thinking for Feb", but will happen in March for sure.

I was quite ambitious with my gardening last year and relatively successful too:) This year is all about continuing and finalizing as much as possible this spring - hoping to finish it all up in the fall so I can relax into a simple maintenance program until the dreaded day when I can't any longer.

Note to self - next month: Shed de-clutter and Laundry-Utility room de-clutter - ugh, those are the worst!

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 02:27:36 PM »
For February, I will have a much shorter list. I hope this will give me the pleasure of a higher completion ratio.

I don't have anything special in the calendar (because Corona...), maybe we will go on a day trip to see my dad for a couple of hours outdoors, he turned 75 a couple of weeks ago, but this depends on the weather/snow situation and everyones health.

Also, I do hope the bathroom renovation can start soon, or I will have to look for another company to do the work.

• Focus goal: Better sleep, at least 7 hrs/night, while still getting up early in the morning.
  • Get paper and other important information in order. Especially anything related to old house.
  • Plan the bathroom. Order what's needed. Survive therenovation. Stay in hotel a couple of nights if needed.
  • Unpack and organize basement storage.
  • Walk 224 000 steps.
  • Sort out the kids room better. At least start planning.
  • Decide on coat rack and shoe rack, and buy/order. And hang them if they arrive.
  • Set up finances for the future and a renovation plan. Plan 2021 in Trello and calendar (timings, kids, exercise, eating, friends and relatives, work, events, money, travel, apartment plans).

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 02:28:43 PM »
And thank you @Raenia, these challenges helps me a lot as well!

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 10:32:03 AM »
Sorry for the daunting task list, I could probably stand to knock off a few things that I don't expect to get to this month.  It just helps to have a mostly comprehensive list somewhere, you know?

General:
1. Read
    - 4/4, Completed - blew past this faster than usual
  b. 2 Nonfiction books
    - 1/2, on track
    - Not yet
  d. 2 from TBR list
    - 1/2, On Track
2. Keep House Tidy
  - 4/5 days, pretty good
  - 3/5 days, not bad but could be better

Crafting:
4. Finish seams of Red PJ Pants
  a. Clip Seams
  b. Iron Seams
  c. Hand Sew
5. Make new PJ Pants
  a. Cut Fabric
  b. Machine Sew Seams
  c. Machine Finish Seams
  d. Drawstring

Home Renovation:
6. Install Insulation
7. Install Drywall
  a. Ceiling, Back Room - Slow progress.  Very, very slow.
  b. Back Wall
  a. Front Wall, 3rd Coat
  b. Ceiling, 2nd Coat
  c. Ceiling, 3rd Coat
9. Remove Window Trim
10. Brick Wall
  a. Re-mortar
  c. Install Drywall
11. Vacuum (ongoing)
12. Schedule Electrician

Extra Side Projects:
13. Frame and Hang Picture - Done!

Complete
Progress/On Track
Behind Schedule
Did Not Meet

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2021, 02:17:41 AM »
Sorry for the daunting task list, I could probably stand to knock off a few things that I don't expect to get to this month.  It just helps to have a mostly comprehensive list somewhere, you know?

@Rosy, I understand you are saying that :-) I agree, Raenia has a loooong list.
@Raenia you know I normally have long lists as well, and I do like your long list, bc you always make progress.

However, me trying something different this month, with a shorter list, may not be so bad. I have some habits in place now (studying Italian, connecting w/people), some were one-time items/tasks already completed, many of them were related to the move - buyings things, putting things in place, and some are on hold for now (weight loss).

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 02:27:25 AM »
Update after the first week

Blue = good progress
Orange = at risk
Red = did not happen
Green = completed

• Focus goal: Better sleep, at least 7 hrs/night, while still getting up early in the morning. Not there yet, but it has been a couple of good nights, first with kids, and then also without. Main reason is that I actually go to bed not-to-late, and then I don't use my phone other than listen to a book for 15 minutes.
  • Get paper and other important information in order. Especially anything related to old house. Nothing done yet, and as @Rosy says, tax season is coming... We sold the house and I know from experience this will make doing the taxes a big job.
  • Plan the bathroom. Order what's needed. Survive the renovation. Stay in hotel a couple of nights if needed. Actually made some progress. Need to do a lot today.
  • Unpack and organize basement storage.Nothing yet.
  • Walk 224 000 steps. I actually had one day I stayed in and didn't do anything, but the other days have been really good so I am well ahead.
  • Sort out the kids room better. At least start planning.
  • Decide on coat rack and shoe rack, and buy/order. And hang them if they arrive. Well, I contacted the company, got an excellent reply that answered my questions, and also added some advice, which made me order without any doubt.
  • Set up finances for the future and a renovation plan. Plan 2021 in Trello and calendar (timings, kids, exercise, eating, friends and relatives, work, events, money, travel, apartment plans).
[/quote]

dadbod

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2021, 05:04:52 AM »
I fell off the wagon of these goals posts but trying to re-up:

February 2021

(1) plant peas
(2) get shade garden ready (add compost and vermiculite, plant camellias, order hostas)
(3) get a new job (tomorrow, maybe!)
(4) hang pegboard in garage
(5) finish baby book (for 3 year old, but it is so close to being done!)
(6) reseed and fertilize lawn
(7) investigate opening a heloc

That's enough - seems doable but would be great if I accomplish everything.

Just keep swimming, folks!

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2021, 07:41:18 AM »
On the 28th of February i will have shed 2kg of today's weight.

@Tinker That's a good and clear goal. I wish I could join, but it will have to wait until another month. At least I am trying to eat somewhat smaller portions but that will be my only effort this month. Do you have any strategies set up?

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2021, 07:45:13 AM »

February 2021

(1) plant peas
(2) get shade garden ready (add compost and vermiculite, plant camellias, order hostas)

@dadbod I would love to plant and to do other garden things, unfortunately we have about 6 inches of snow, so I have to wait a bit :-D. At least I got the garlic planted some weeks ago. Good luck w/the job hunt!

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2021, 12:24:01 PM »
1. 5000 steps a day (I don't care if that's not 'enough', it's a big goal for me)
2. 20 squats, 20 push ups, 20 crunches and 2 minutes of planking a day.
3. Start and end the day with a short breathing exercise and some stretching
4. Read 3 books this month
5. Cook 4 nights a week
6. Fill the dents in the staircase and repaint
7. Declutter 1 drawer of paperwork

MrsSpendyPants

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2021, 08:46:16 PM »
Read 2 books - on pace
Lose 4 lbs down to 130 lbs - up 2 lbs oops
Cook or eat left overs every night - going well thus far
Apply to four jobs - done
Meet Feb Financial goals - going well thus far

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2021, 02:29:14 AM »
On the 28th of February i will have shed 2kg of today's weight.

@Tinker That's a good and clear goal. I wish I could join, but it will have to wait until another month. At least I am trying to eat somewhat smaller portions but that will be my only effort this month. Do you have any strategies set up?
Same old, really nothing special. Reduce snacking, move more.
I was planning to take a few more walks, but over the past few days the weather report for the next two weeks changed its mind significantly.
Went from +5ish to -10-15, walking is suddenly a lot less enticing prospect :) More kettlebell swings, i guess.

Planning and prepping meals also helps.

Sounds like a good plan! I was out walking last night w/a friend, we also have it quite cold, about -10 C and there was some wind, really cold on the cheeks. Felt good to come in again. (I live in Sweden, so we are used to it, I try to walk every day at least 8 000 steps, but I do have good clothing for it)

Meal planning is SO important. When I do that, I eat much healthier.

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2021, 02:40:22 AM »
1. 5000 steps a day (I don't care if that's not 'enough', it's a big goal for me)
2. 20 squats, 20 push ups, 20 crunches and 2 minutes of planking a day.
3. Start and end the day with a short breathing exercise and some stretching
4. Read 3 books this month
5. Cook 4 nights a week
6. Fill the dents in the staircase and repaint
7. Declutter 1 drawer of paperwork

Just want to say about the steps goal - if it's a big goal for you, it is a good goal. It is your call :-).
Also, even it it doesn't matter what other people do, a lot of people do not walk 5 000 steps per day. I just googled and in Sweden where I live, we do a bit more on average, we are a country were a lot of people are outdoorsy, and it is also very common to take public transportation to work or other places, which makes us walk more to catch a bus etc. In US, the average is below 5 000 steps. (I guess these are estimations, I just looked at the first google result, but it gives an indication).

Also, you have the goal no 2 with exercise, which I think is really good. I walk a lot, but I cannot do your exercise goal, so it so different from person to person.

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2021, 02:59:29 AM »
Read 2 books - on pace
Lose 4 lbs down to 130 lbs - up 2 lbs oops
Cook or eat left overs every night - going well thus far
Meet Feb Financial goals - going well thus far

@MrsSpendyPants you're doing well!
Hehe, the weight goal is so me, only I am currently up/oops about 6lbs from my nearest goal (which I was at a couple of months ago, so it's absolutely an 'up'). 130 lbs is my long long term goal.

Tinker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2021, 09:48:21 AM »
Planning and prepping meals also helps.

Sounds like a good plan! I was out walking last night w/a friend, we also have it quite cold, about -10 C and there was some wind, really cold on the cheeks. Felt good to come in again. (I live in Sweden, so we are used to it, I try to walk every day at least 8 000 steps, but I do have good clothing for it)

Meal planning is SO important. When I do that, I eat much healthier.

Meal Planning allows me to calculate calories of my cooked meals without looking at the individual portions.
Simply add all the input, divide by portions. No need to weigh any intermediaries. A little trickery is required, for oil added and such, but I've got the numbers dialed in from my first round seriously tracking calories. This spoon will add that many ml, a scoop of this is X grams of Muesli etc.

Oh, and the obvious: easiest way to stop snacking is not to have anything snackable :D :(

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2021, 07:54:11 AM »
Raenia - you do realize just reading your long to-do list is exhausting:). JK
Thanks for continuing this monthly challenge - it does prod me into action whenever I get too lazy.

Well, it's time to

1. Do my taxes - ..... checking today to see if I have all supporting documents
2. De-clutter - one item - one drawer - one stack of paper - the kitchen counter - start spending 15 min a day decluttering the closet - Daily Challenge!:)
3. Sign up for a new small savings account - ... free bonus money $100 plus extra interest.
I've been putting this off because I'm revamping my financial plans and wasn't sure whether it would make sense to do. 

Garden
1. Devise a new plan - working on it
2. Weed - fertilize - cut back - working on it
3. Do one of the projects leftover from last fall ..... this is "hopeful thinking for Feb", but will happen in March for sure.

I was quite ambitious with my gardening last year and relatively successful too:) This year is all about continuing and finalizing as much as possible this spring - hoping to finish it all up in the fall so I can relax into a simple maintenance program until the dreaded day when I can't any longer.

Note to self - next month: Shed de-clutter and Laundry-Utility room de-clutter - ugh, those are the worst!

Some progress, not much though. Got derailed with other household issues - we will get a new fridge/freezer Monday which is causing a lot of extra work and time.

1. Taxes - ran into several unexpected snags, but hope to finish filing next week.
I hate it when I think I got it - and sh$t happens...
Alas - worst case scenario I'll have to pay someone to do it for me, we'll see how it goes.

2. Clutter - haven't moved the needle much, but I am planning on hitting it hard this coming week.

3. Finances - really happy to have saved $500 on the purchase of a new appliance,
managed to get extra rewards points from my cc and SW.
This was a long-planned purchase and my diligence in looking for a better offer finally paid off. YAY!

4. Garden - I am working on it a little at a time - will ramp up my garden time next week.
Cuttings - I grew some on the kitchen windowsill which I planted this week
Seedlings - planted a few - have two more to go, need to thin out some celery and other veggies.
Seeding out lettuce, spinach and flowers this week.
Plantlings - planted a cherry tree - next up is a white puff ball tree, another cherry, two chocolate mint.
New cuttings - will try two lemon verbena cuttings, haven't had any luck with those before so I'll research first this time around:).
Need to separate a couple of orchids, begonias and flamingo plants.
Depending on the weather Mr. R. can weed a section of the garden and plant three coffee bushes ready to go in the ground.

Possible side gig
I'm thinking of selling seeds and starter plants from a rare medicinal plant that is doing very well for me.
The starter plants sell for around $25-$35 and even the seeds go for six to ten bucks depending on how many are in the package.
Not sure about the best way to do that yet.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2021, 10:38:01 AM »
Week 2 update

General:
1. Read
    - 6/4, Completed
  b. 2 Nonfiction books
    - 2/2, Completed
    - Started book
  d. 2 from TBR list
    - 1/2, On Track
2. Keep House Tidy
  - 10/12 days, going well
  - 7/12 days, hoping for better weather in the coming weeks

Crafting:
4. Finish seams of Red PJ Pants - Done!
  a. Clip Seams - Decided this wasn't necessary
  b. Iron Seams - Also not strictly necessary
  c. Hand Sew - Done!
5. Make new PJ Pants
  a. Cut Fabric
  b. Machine Sew Seams
  c. Machine Finish Seams
  d. Drawstring

Home Renovation:
6. Install Insulation
7. Install Drywall
  b. Back Wall
  a. Front Wall, 3rd Coat
  b. Ceiling, 2nd Coat
  c. Ceiling, 3rd Coat
9. Remove Window Trim - Progress
10. Brick Wall
  a. Re-mortar - Progress
  c. Install Drywall
11. Vacuum (ongoing)
12. Schedule Electrician

Extra Side Projects:

Complete
Progress/On Track
Behind Schedule
Did Not Meet

dadbod

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2021, 10:46:01 AM »
heavy rains have put the garden and yard work on hold for at least another week

new job is looking promising.  Current boss, potential new boss, and big boss are all supportive (internal transfer).  have to run the HR gauntlet but the only hold up is salary negotiations.  I'm worth it!

pegboard is being delayed because it is behind the plants that I need to plant when the rain finally stops

baby book is done and ordered!  so excited.  Got a PDF print as part of it and looks great.  Now on to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd years of life, which should be easier because I'm just going chronological with the pictures and using a template.

slight snag with the heloc.  we had one and closed it when we refinanced our mortgage.  As part of opening it, the bank also opened various other accounts (I think the loan manager got some sort of incentive).  So we had a checking account out there with a small balance with this bank that I've never really used.  Now because we've closed the heloc they've started charging me an $18 maintenance fee / month.  $18!  that's crazy!  Put a sour taste in my mouth that this happened.  I'll probably still work with them on the heloc because of the existing relationship and in the grand scheme of things $18 isn't a lot (we unfortunately spend a lot of money) but it is the principle of the thing.

got a new roof this month, which was a lot more expensive than $18.  Put it on a credit card for the points! Glad to have it done before these soaking rains.

February 2021

(1) plant peas

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2021, 05:55:22 AM »
Week 3 update

General:
1. Read
    - 10/4, Completed
  b. 2 Nonfiction books
    - 2/2, Completed
    - Started book
  d. 2 from TBR list
    - 1/2, On Track with 2nd
2. Keep House Tidy
  - 16/20 days, going well
  - 9/20 days, weather continues to be miserable

Crafting:
  c. Hand Sew - Done!
5. Make new PJ Pants
  a. Cut Fabric
  b. Machine Sew Seams
  c. Machine Finish Seams
  d. Drawstring

Home Renovation:
6. Install Insulation
7. Install Drywall
  b. Back Wall
  a. Front Wall, 3rd Coat
  b. Ceiling, 2nd Coat
  c. Ceiling, 3rd Coat
10. Brick Wall
  a. Re-mortar - Progress
  c. Install Drywall
11. Vacuum (ongoing)
12. Schedule Electrician

Extra Side Projects:
14. Install Water Heater Insulation Blanket - Done!
15. Hang Library Shelf

Complete
Progress/On Track
Behind Schedule
Did Not Meet

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2021, 10:08:42 AM »
I miss posting in the monthly goals! Thanks all for keeping these threads alive. Once moved, I will re-join. But having to type a post on top of all the boxing and unboxing seems like too much right now. @LinneaH I don't know how you did it.

MrsSpendyPants

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2021, 09:19:13 PM »
One week left:

Read 2 books - done
Lose 4 lbs down to 130 lbs - done, hope I can keep it off for the last week
Cook or eat left overs every night - meeting it thus far, have food in the fridge for the last week all prepped
Meet Feb Financial goals - meeting  them thus far

Feeling good about February thus far!

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2021, 08:29:04 AM »
PROGRESS REPORT:

Taxes - ugh - might have to move to first week in March - we'll see...
De-cluttering and cleaning - doing OK with that. Since it is ongoing - check!... but could be better.
Finances - check!

Garden
Check and check! - I'll spare you the long list, but yeah - check - ongoing!

Overall, this month I am struggling with motivation but having a public to-do list does nudge me forward:).

Hope everyone is hanging in there - we got this and if we don't, be kind to yourself.
Deep breath, step back, be pragmatic, re-evaluate, be realistic - we'll be just fine - going forward:).

dadbod

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2021, 09:35:05 AM »
Getting in at the last minute with fertilizing the lawn today!  Feeling pretty good

(1) plant peas  - DONE
(2) get shade garden ready (add compost and vermiculite, plant camellias, order hostas) - DONE (although I now want to get another load of compost and then lay down some mulch.  Is any garden ever really done?)
(3) get a new job (tomorrow, maybe!) - 95% (offer letter in hand!) 
(4) hang pegboard in garage  - no :-(
(5) finish baby book  - DONE and it is beautiful!
(6) reseed and fertilize lawn  - DONE
(7) investigate opening a heloc - DONE (phone call scheduled for tomorrow).

February 2021

(1) plant peas

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2021, 06:40:58 PM »

Final February update

General:
1. Read
    - 13/4, Completed
  b. 2 Nonfiction books
    - 2/2, Completed
    - Read 1 book
  d. 2 from TBR list
    - 3/2, Completed
2. Keep House Tidy
  - 24/28 days, going well
  - 14/28 days, I'm happy with that

Crafting:
  c. Hand Sew - Done!
5. Make new PJ Pants
  a. Cut Fabric
  b. Machine Sew Seams
  c. Machine Finish Seams
  d. Drawstring

Home Renovation:
6. Install Insulation
7. Install Drywall
  b. Back Wall
  a. Front Wall, 3rd Coat
  b. Ceiling, 2nd Coat
  c. Ceiling, 3rd Coat
10. Brick Wall
  a. Re-mortar - Progress
  c. Install Drywall
11. Vacuum (ongoing)
12. Schedule Electrician

Extra Side Projects:
14. Install Water Heater Insulation Blanket - Done!
15. Hang Library Shelf

Complete
Progress/On Track
Behind Schedule
Did Not Meet

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2021, 09:50:41 AM »
So I totally missed second half of February. Sick kids one week, kids off school (holiday) one week. I will do a quick final update and then just move into March.

Red = did not happen
Green = completed

• Focus goal: Better sleep, at least 7 hrs/night, while still getting up early in the morning. Not there yet, but it has improved so some good nights. Main reason is that I actually go to bed not-to-late, and then I don't use my phone other than listen to a book for 15 minutes.
  • Get paper and other important information in order. Especially anything related to old house. I have made a very tiny progress.
  • Plan the bathroom. Order what's needed. Survive the renovation. Stay in hotel a couple of nights if needed. I made some progress with planning, but have ordered nothing.
  • Unpack and organize basement storage.Some progress but need to do more.
  • Walk 224 000 steps. Some good days, but I missed the total. Ended up at 207 699. Jan+Feb I am 49 000 steps behind, which should be doable to catch up during the year without too much effort. The snow has just melted away so walking is so much easier.
  • Sort out the kids room better. At least start planning. Almost nothing, and I feel so bad about it. However, they don't notice :-).
  • Decide on coat rack and shoe rack, and buy/order. They are up!!! It was tough but I completed it all by myself and I am soooo happy about them.
  • Set up finances for the future and a renovation plan. Plan 2021 in Trello and calendar (timings, kids, exercise, eating, friends and relatives, work, events, money, travel, apartment plans).. Why don't I work on this? It is a fun thing to do.
[/quote]