Author Topic: Favor Needed for Las Vegas (near the Strip) Resident/Visitor  (Read 6975 times)

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
Favor Needed for Las Vegas (near the Strip) Resident/Visitor
« on: December 15, 2015, 08:32:39 AM »
Hi! Ok, in short I was totally out of it from not sleeping enough and partying while recently on a business trip with a coworker in Vegas. My SO has been challenging me to give to the needy for Xmas since we are fortunate enough to be well off enough. I mean we're Mustachian! Anyways, I had a bad experience with giving a lot in my prior youth and ahem to a "religious organization", so now I really just feel like I've done a lifetime worth of giving. Anyways, there is this Caucasian (probably blonde) homeless man in a wheel chair that makes flowers and flower designs out of I believe palm or corn stalks. He said he accepts donations when I asked him about a larger flower item shaped around a heart. Literally, a few minutes later I realized why didn't I give him more? Anyways, I'm out of it but if anyone is bold enough to do me a random good deed of giving, please PM me and we can work out a Paypal transfer if you can give this man $10 or $20 for me with my story in short (I can provide more details later). I would like to think there is only one homeless man that makes these that's in a wheelchair but I could be wrong. He was crossing over from the Mirage/Caesar's intersection towards Harrah's side when I saw him. I would appreciate a picture with the man upon giving him this short story [of how I screwed up and that his flowers were worth more than I gave him, but I was just kinda out of it that day]. This is a random request but I figured I'd try esp with the random power of social media these days. To think once over 15 years ago I would send a physical letter to a celebrity and now we have Twitter! Crazy. Anyways, thank you MMM community.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 12:20:46 PM by MrsCoolCat »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Favor Needed for Las Vegas (near the Strip) Resident/Visitor
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 08:45:47 AM »
Damn, wish I was still in Vegas.  Hopefully one of our other residents can help you out for a fun Christmas deed!  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 07:42:12 PM »
Hi! Hopefully a local chimes in. I will actually be there for my wedding in a few weeks and can look and see if I see him. If I see him I can certainly donate him some money and can share what you'd like. No promises I will see him and won't have much time to look. I have about 50 of my closest friends and family flying there to celebrate with us, so I will be pulled in a lot of other directions. If I see him, I promise you I'll stop :)

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 09:37:15 PM »
Hi! Hopefully a local chimes in. I will actually be there for my wedding in a few weeks and can look and see if I see him. If I see him I can certainly donate him some money and can share what you'd like. No promises I will see him and won't have much time to look. I have about 50 of my closest friends and family flying there to celebrate with us, so I will be pulled in a lot of other directions. If I see him, I promise you I'll stop :)

Thank you! That is thoughtful of you and I'd understand if you were too busy to. It happened around 5pm this past Saturday, I had to leave at 8pm and I was with my coworker, or I would have went back, too.

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 10:01:21 PM »
If someone does happen to see him, the easiest thing I can summarize is through this note:

Dear sir,

You do not know me, but on Saturday, December 12th, I saw you with your friend trying to gather your flowers to cross the street from the Mirage to Harrah's. I felt compelled to give something, but was with a coworker. I happened to see you at the crosswalk about to leave and decided to stop you. You will have to excuse me, but I probably slept no more than 16 hours in the past four days. I took out $2 expecting for a single rose, but saw something bigger that caught my eye. I asked you how much for the bigger heart with three roses, and you told me nothing and that you were just accepting donations. For some reason all I could say was, "Can I take this one," followed by "Good luck," rather than give you more. I wanted to let you know that my $2 was not an indication of your worth, but rather bad hindsight on my part (Vegas does that to people I suppose). You're worth so much more than what I gave you.

I really didn't want this to be long, but I once gave religiously that I somehow became cold hearted towards it. My husband asked that for Xmas I give to others. I felt rather forced, but not with you. I wanted to apologize yet thank you for reminding me of my own humanity and why I used to give. Please have a Merry Xmas and from the bottom of my heart I pray that you may have joy, peace and love regardless of your current or past situation.

Lucy from FL
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 10:03:33 PM by MrsCoolCat »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 01:04:13 AM »
Your attachment didn't work.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 05:45:04 AM »
Your attachment didn't work.

Did it work now?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 06:04:25 AM »
Yup.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2015, 08:15:22 AM »
Excellent! Just saved the post to my phone so it's easily retrievable. If I see him I will make sure and hook him up! I often stray from giving to some homeless, but I have an especially big soft spot for those who are disabled, mental or physically, as it hits close to home.

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2015, 12:19:38 PM »
Excellent! Just saved the post to my phone so it's easily retrievable. If I see him I will make sure and hook him up! I often stray from giving to some homeless, but I have an especially big soft spot for those who are disabled, mental or physically, as it hits close to home.

Thanks! Yea, I work near a large population of begging homeless and at least this guy was doing/making something even though in all fairness Vegas is more touristy than where I work. Still, those requests for cigarettes & repeated coincidental stories about my car broke down at the gas station get tiring.

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2015, 07:01:58 PM »
Man, I guess this all lies in one person's hands and may not happen. What do you think the odds are than I can convince Mr. OCC to go back with me to Vegas? Lol I got the $9 fare club with Spirit... 😜

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2015, 09:14:16 AM »
Following this thread, and just wanted to say that is a really sweet thing for you to do, MrsCoolCat. Unfortunately I am across the country from LV.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2015, 02:02:50 PM »
Man, I guess this all lies in one person's hands and may not happen. What do you think the odds are than I can convince Mr. OCC to go back with me to Vegas? Lol I got the $9 fare club with Spirit... 😜

The good news is, it falls in the hands of one of the lesser mustachians here, so if I do see him, there's a good chance I may have already had too much to drink and be excessively generous haha.

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2015, 09:17:23 AM »
Following this thread, and just wanted to say that is a really sweet thing for you to do, MrsCoolCat. Unfortunately I am across the country from LV.

Thanks, but I wish I was more alert in common sense so I wouldn't need this favor! I guess then I wouldn't have this 1/2 story to share. It's 1/2 bc it's not finished yet...

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2015, 09:22:02 AM »

The good news is, it falls in the hands of one of the lesser mustachians here, so if I do see him, there's a good chance I may have already had too much to drink and be excessively generous haha.

Haha, and don't call yourself a lesser Mustachian! I am a "slight" control freak and prefer to do things on my own when it's within my power to do so. Plus everyone is extra busy around this time so I don't like asking for favors. Not only do I not want to just burden you, but those odds don't seem favorable! I really wish I was actually thinking last Saturday... Smh but whatever happens happens. Hopefully I'll have another opportunity & be aware instead of let it pass me by, whether accidentally, dumbfounded-ly or otherwise.

Cardinal12

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2015, 11:06:24 AM »
Hi MrsCoolCat - I will be in Las Vegas this coming weekend with family. I'm actually staying not far from where you encountered this man.
While I won't be spending much time on the strip, I'm happy to keep an eye out for him and pass along your message should I see him.

Thank you for sharing your story and giving someone else the opportunity to help.

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2015, 01:12:08 PM »
Hi MrsCoolCat - I will be in Las Vegas this coming weekend with family. I'm actually staying not far from where you encountered this man.
While I won't be spending much time on the strip, I'm happy to keep an eye out for him and pass along your message should I see him.

Thank you for sharing your story and giving someone else the opportunity to help.

Thanks! Sounds good. Give him $10-$20 for me if u happen to see him. Let me know and I'll forward the funds back via PayPal. Happy Holidays!

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2015, 01:45:42 PM »
I'll be back in Vegas in January.  I have actually seen the guy making those flowers and thought about buying one, as I really like them.  I always decided that I didn't need more 'stuff'.  Of course, now that I've heard your story I will buy one next time I see him.  You may end up doing him more good this way.  :)

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2015, 11:30:32 PM »
I'll be back in Vegas in January.  I have actually seen the guy making those flowers and thought about buying one, as I really like them.  I always decided that I didn't need more 'stuff'.  Of course, now that I've heard your story I will buy one next time I see him.  You may end up doing him more good this way.  :)

😊 Great! Too bad I didn't go "viral" and get him a job, too... Like the black homeless guy with the radio voice. Guess that's really stretching it in my wishing dept. I hope he finds his way tho.

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2015, 09:56:14 PM »
I know someone who may very well go in January! Second chance? I hope they run into him. Whoo hoo 2016!

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2016, 06:41:21 PM »
Hi all. Happy New Year! Any follow-up on this? Unfortunately, my friend didn't go to Vegas.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2016, 07:22:15 PM »
Hi MrsCoolCat!

I unfortunately failed you. My Vegas trip was filled with all my closest friends from around the country and I spent most my days recovering from my very long nights (and getting married). Hopefully someone else can help out. Sorry!

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2016, 10:39:54 PM »
Hi MrsCoolCat!

I unfortunately failed you. My Vegas trip was filled with all my closest friends from around the country and I spent most my days recovering from my very long nights (and getting married). Hopefully someone else can help out. Sorry!

Aww, no worries. I hope to go back eventually & find him. Congrats on getting married btw! It sounded like fun! 😉

SAfAmBrit

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2016, 11:41:51 AM »
Well I am local and work on the strip so I will try to fulfil this mission with a photo. I have lurked on this sight for 4 months so will be a small thing to do for all the great information and advice I have received, paying it forward hopefully if I can find him!

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2016, 09:28:41 PM »
That is nice and would be appreciated. I want to go back to Vegas but not sure SO wants to, otherwise I would have already done it. Anyways thanks for the thought as my friends never went... and the challenge continues...

Well I am local and work on the strip so I will try to fulfil this mission with a photo. I have lurked on this sight for 4 months so will be a small thing to do for all the great information and advice I have received, paying it forward hopefully if I can find him!