Author Topic: Expand Your Vocabulary in Another Language 2020  (Read 13328 times)

Luz

• Bristles
Re: Expand Your Vocabulary in Another Language 2020
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2020, 05:56:50 PM »
Hi! I'm trying to improve my Spanish now that I'm taking a break from work during the pandemic. I'm conversant in my specialized setting but not great outside of it. My goal is to be able to have a general conversation, read the newspaper, and be able to follow TV shows / podcasts. Duolingo says I blew through 2200 words in the first week, but a good number of them I'm sure I wouldn't be able to use actively. It's also sometimes a little too easy, being a native English speaker, to guess what the Spanish is while reading, so I started to close my eyes to focus on the listening. It's working really well for me to pick up words this way in context. I'm not formally trying to re-study the grammar, but I do scan conjugation tables sometimes so the exact shade of the sentence is clear. Do I really need to learn the imperfect subjunctive and imperfect2 subjuctive?

The accent in Duolingo seems to be Northern Mexican, but I hear a lot of Dominican and Puerto Rican where I live, and I first learned Spanish in Argentina, which has its own linguistic quirks.

After Spanish, I want to improve my Mandarin. I wish Duolingo had Cantonese.

I'm a visual learner, so listening is challenging. I'll have to try your trick of closing my eyes.

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2020, 09:18:23 PM »
While the gold standard (as mentioned) really is speaking practice, if you want to immerse yourself by reading the news or other materials in your target language you can always install the Google Translate extension in Chrome for desktop. The extension lets you set preferences to give a tooltip that translates any word you select, so once you reach intermediacy you can pick up words on the fly.

For Duolingo users who want to know how many words they've learned or their relative strength, check out duome.eu/[yourusernamehere] for your stats.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2020, 05:40:26 PM »
My husband was home for 2 months due to the pandemic. Our language arrangement is One Person One Language, but when we're all together we speak Spanish. Usually my daughter gets around 25 hours/week of Spanish exposure. But the last 2 months it's been 70 hours/week. She now only speaks in Spanish, except for maybe 4 words of English. It's been awesome to watch her language skills take off!

My husband returned to work this week and I've spoken only in Spanish to my daughter the last 3 days. I figure that I might as well continue on with what we've been doing, at least for the next few months. Extra motivation for me to expand my vocabulary.

I found that if I review my words at least 3 days a week, I'm able to remember them. The list is also getting long, so I review half one day and the other half the next. Nearly all the words are coming from a kid's visual dictionary (in English). It's important that I start story time looking over that resource and reinforcing the new words before moving on to the books in Spanish that don't require brain power. If I save the dictionary review for the end of story time, it's less likely to happen.

ethereality

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2020, 09:28:55 AM »
I've been spending quarantine time learning Mandarin. Aiming for 5000 phrases mastered (reading/speaking). I'm already mostly fluent verbally, though certain subjects, I would not be able to carry a coherent conversation. But I'm nearly completely illiterate.

According to Pleco, I've mastered 1200/5000 so far. Supposedly I should be able to fairly easily read a newspaper at that point.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2020, 09:04:55 PM »
371. detective:                                        el detective
372. to hunt:                                          cazar
373. to solve:                                          solucionar
374. diagram:                                         el diagrama
375. to sparkle:                                       centellear
376. valuable:                                         valioso
377. diary:                                              el diario (same as newspaper)
378. to arrange:                                      arreglar
379. disguise:                                         el disfraz (same as costume)
380. diver:                                             el/la buzo (scuba) el/la saltador(a) (sport)
381. to get well:                                     recuperarse
382. friendly:                                          simpático, amistoso, amigable
383. to bray:                                          rebuznar
384. slope:                                             la inclinación
385. drill:                                               la barrena
386. to spill:                                           derramar
387. drumstick:                                      el palillo (drum) muslo de pollo (food)
388. webbed:                                         palmeado
389.  badger:                                        el tejón
390. load:                                              la carga

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2020, 07:48:34 PM »
391. top:                                         el trompo
392.  to pack (full):                          llenar
393. sandy:                                     arenoso
394. to dump:                                  descargar
395. prey:                                       la presa?
396. easel:                                      el caballete
397. stand:                                     la base (base) el puesto (stall)
398. unborn:                                   aún no nacido
399. to hatch:                                  incubar, empollar
400. floppy:                                     blando, flexible
401. weight:                                     el peso
402. scale:                                      la balanza
403. halfway:                                  intermedio
404. escalator:                                la escalera mecánica
405. fit (exercise):                           en forma, sano
406. to blow up:                              explotar
407. arcade:                                    la arcada
408. merry-go-round:                      el carrusel
409. ferris wheel:                             la rueda de la fortuna
410. breeze:                                    la brisa

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2020, 08:23:17 PM »
Memrise has lessons for the 4000/5000 most common words ordered by word frequency in several languages.  It's really helping me with Thai, but I'm just a beginner. 

What can you use to help you figure out which words still need to learn with more advanced vocabulary?  I'm at a more advanced level in Spanish, so I already know pretty much all of the 5000 most frequent words.

I suggest reading in Spanish and looking up words you don’t recognize. If a word is common enough to appear in a newspaper or magazine article, it’s probably one you should know. Same if you want to build vocabulary on a certain subject, such as your profession - read about that subject in Spanish.
This is good. You can pick up a lot more than just vocabulary from reading also. For simple stuff it is good to memorize vocabulary (table, chair, green, woman). But at some point you start to get into the nuances that don’t translate easily. « Retrouvailles » , for example is a word that doesn’t have an equivalent in English. In French you are “under” the rain or the shower whereas in English you are “in”. That kind of stuff you learn from immersing yourself to get context.

Mariposa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2020, 01:25:04 AM »
I like the fact that Duolingo uses Mexican-ish Spanish.  Dominican, Puerto Rican, and Argentine Spanish are probably the hardest dialects to hear.  I'm getting to the point where I can understand Mexican Spanish reasonably well, but Caribbean and Southern Cone dialects, especially Dominican, might as well be Swahili for me.  When I do happen to understand Caribbean Spanish, it blows my mind how many letters they leave out.  It's basically French.  DH even had a coworker who had to be a translator when her Peruvian family and her Puertorican in-laws visited together.  Those dialects are not for beginners. 

Learning Mandarin is probably helpful if you eventually want to learn Cantonese.  Sort of like learning Spanish would really give you a leg up on Italian.

Agree that Duolingo Spanish is clear and pretty easy to understand, pero la mayoría de los hispanohablantes en mi cuidad son boricuas y dominicanos, so I need to understand Carribean accents. Improving my speaking and aural comprehension would be really useful for work, and I'd like to improve my reading as well, for fun.

I spent years studying French and Mandarin, but my French is now completely replaced with Spanish, since I almost never use French. Whenever I try to speak French, Spanish comes out, and I often can't tell what language I'm speaking; it's a strange feeling.

I'm conversational in Mandarin, and I speak to my parents in Shanghai dialect. I use Mandarin at work too, and Cantonese would be helpful, but I don't understand a word of it. I'm still quite illiterate, after years of trying to learn written Chinese. Back in the day, we didn't have smartphones, and we'd have to count the number of strokes in the main radical and look in that section of the dictionary: so frustrating back then, and so easy now to point with a smartphone or trace the character on an ipad.

Mariposa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2020, 01:44:41 AM »
For Duolingo users who want to know how many words they've learned or their relative strength, check out duome.eu/[yourusernamehere] for your stats.

This is helpful; thanks!

My husband returned to work this week and I've spoken only in Spanish to my daughter the last 3 days. I figure that I might as well continue on with what we've been doing, at least for the next few months. Extra motivation for me to expand my vocabulary.

Since you speak Spanish with your family, does this mean you're fluent in speaking already? I don't think I've ever achieved fluency in a language other than English. My definition of fluency would be the ability to have an extended conversation with a native speaker without feeling tired afterwards;)

Memrise has lessons for the 4000/5000 most common words ordered by word frequency in several languages.  It's really helping me with Thai, but I'm just a beginner. 

What can you use to help you figure out which words still need to learn with more advanced vocabulary?  I'm at a more advanced level in Spanish, so I already know pretty much all of the 5000 most frequent words.

I suggest reading in Spanish and looking up words you don’t recognize. If a word is common enough to appear in a newspaper or magazine article, it’s probably one you should know. Same if you want to build vocabulary on a certain subject, such as your profession - read about that subject in Spanish.
This is good. You can pick up a lot more than just vocabulary from reading also. For simple stuff it is good to memorize vocabulary (table, chair, green, woman). But at some point you start to get into the nuances that don’t translate easily. « Retrouvailles » , for example is a word that doesn’t have an equivalent in English. In French you are “under” the rain or the shower whereas in English you are “in”. That kind of stuff you learn from immersing yourself to get context.

Even beginning-level stuff has quirks and nuances that can only be learned from a bit of immersion in the language. For instance: "conocer a alguien," literally "to know at someone," whereas in English we just say "to know someone." Also, I don't know if I'll ever use ya vs todavía correctly: https://www.realfastspanish.com/podcast/tips-031-ya-vs-todavia

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2020, 12:06:50 PM »

This is helpful; thanks!

Since you speak Spanish with your family, does this mean you're fluent in speaking already? I don't think I've ever achieved fluency in a language other than English. My definition of fluency would be the ability to have an extended conversation with a native speaker without feeling tired afterwards;)

This is good. You can pick up a lot more than just vocabulary from reading also. For simple stuff it is good to memorize vocabulary (table, chair, green, woman). But at some point you start to get into the nuances that don’t translate easily. « Retrouvailles » , for example is a word that doesn’t have an equivalent in English. In French you are “under” the rain or the shower whereas in English you are “in”. That kind of stuff you learn from immersing yourself to get context.

Even beginning-level stuff has quirks and nuances that can only be learned from a bit of immersion in the language. For instance: "conocer a alguien," literally "to know at someone," whereas in English we just say "to know someone." Also, I don't know if I'll ever use ya vs todavía correctly: https://www.realfastspanish.com/podcast/tips-031-ya-vs-todavia
The “to know” one is interesting in French also. “Savoir” is to know in the sense of facts. “Connaitre” is know in the sense of familiarity, so you “connaître” someone and you “savoir” where you left your book.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2020, 11:06:52 PM »
Agree that Duolingo Spanish is clear and pretty easy to understand, pero la mayoría de los hispanohablantes en mi cuidad son boricuas y dominicanos, so I need to understand Carribean accents. Improving my speaking and aural comprehension would be really useful for work, and I'd like to improve my reading as well, for fun.

Si quieres escuchar mejor español boricua or dominicana, busca videos en Youtube.  Busca a alguien que sea puertorriqueño o domincano y que hace videos sobre asuntos que te gustan.  Si te gustan las motos, busca videos por puertorriqueños sobre las motos.  Si te gusta cocinar, busca videos por dominicanos sobre la comida.  Al principio no entenderás casi nada, pero sigue viendolos aunque no entiendas.  Poco a poco entenderás más. 

I spent years studying French and Mandarin, but my French is now completely replaced with Spanish, since I almost never use French. Whenever I try to speak French, Spanish comes out, and I often can't tell what language I'm speaking; it's a strange feeling.

I'm doing French from Spanish in Duolingo, and counterintuitively it actually helps to separate them.  At first it is hard to wrap your brain around, but eventually it forces you to compartmentalize them.  Also, when you do closely related languages, Duolingo really stresses the little differences.  Je vais à manger -> Voy a comer.  That helps even more to keep from confusing them. 

I'm conversational in Mandarin, and I speak to my parents in Shanghai dialect. I use Mandarin at work too, and Cantonese would be helpful, but I don't understand a word of it. I'm still quite illiterate, after years of trying to learn written Chinese. Back in the day, we didn't have smartphones, and we'd have to count the number of strokes in the main radical and look in that section of the dictionary: so frustrating back then, and so easy now to point with a smartphone or trace the character on an ipad.

写中文写得很难。

The “to know” one is interesting in French also. “Savoir” is to know in the sense of facts. “Connaitre” is know in the sense of familiarity, so you “connaître” someone and you “savoir” where you left your book.

Fun fact, "savoir" and "saber" are the same word. "Conocer" and "connaître" are also the same word.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2020, 08:43:44 AM »
« Je vais manger » :)

The infinitive « manger » already has « to » baked into it.

À is « to » in the sense of direction, like going to the store.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2020, 10:10:12 AM »
« Je vais manger » :)

The infinitive « manger » already has « to » baked into it.

À is « to » in the sense of direction, like going to the store.

Yes, exactly in French, but in Spanish they do put it in.   (I put a strike through the à, but I don't think it was obvious). Il va dormir = Él va A dormir.  That can make for confusion since French and Spanish both have similar grammar but with little differences like that.  When you do Duolingo directly from one Romance Language to another, it seems to harp on those differences.  That helps keep from getting confused between them if you're trying to learn two Romance Languages at the same time. 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 10:12:22 AM by dougules »

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2020, 10:15:49 AM »

This is helpful; thanks!

I'm not fluent at all!
My definition of fluency would be the same (the ability to have an extended conversation with a native speaker) but without getting frustrated!! I can get by but can't express myself well.

Right now my husband speaks only Spanish to our daughter and I speak English, unless we're all together, in which case I switch to Spanish with her (family language approach). Since we were all together for two months, I only spoke Spanish to her and it wasn't that bad (it helps that our conversations are basic- she's 2- and also that I can copy many of the phrases my husband uses with her). She also went from using half English/half Spanish words to nearly 100% Spanish. She's at the age where she's starting to speak in phrases/sentences, so I thought I might continue with Spanish and see what happens. If I can't find the word I need, I just use a whole bunch of words to describe it.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2020, 10:25:35 AM »

I'm going to add in a little reading and listening to the radio to my studies. My husband and I made tentative plans to spend a year in Mexico in 5 years (when he's done with his training and our kids are a little older). I was hoping to spend 2 years there, but 1 year is more realistic job and school-wise. Aside from building vocab, I was thinking to just rely on 2 years of immersion to become fluent. But if I have only one year of immersion, I'd like to make the best use of my time before we go. I'm bumping up my vocab to 30 per week (in order to hit 7500 in 5 years for a total of 10,000) and will also start listening to the radio while I cook. I'll read a few pages in Spanish when I review my words in the afternoon (it's become too distracting to review them during story time while my toddler is vying for my attention).

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2020, 03:22:55 PM »

Yes, exactly in French, but in Spanish they do put it in.   (I put a strike through the à, but I don't think it was obvious). Il va dormir = Él va A dormir.  That can make for confusion since French and Spanish both have similar grammar but with little differences like that.  When you do Duolingo directly from one Romance Language to another, it seems to harp on those differences.  That helps keep from getting confused between them if you're trying to learn two Romance Languages at the same time.
Ah, I’m sorry. Maybe it is just Tapatalk but I got an accent grave instead of a strike through. Hence the confusion.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2020, 05:48:57 PM »

Ah, I’m sorry. Maybe it is just Tapatalk but I got an accent grave instead of a strike through. Hence the confusion.

It's an A accent grave with a strike-through.  I guess I can't assume it's going to display the same for everybody, but at least that was the intent. 

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2020, 02:47:55 PM »
I'd like to join, I really want to learn Italian, this is my first choice of where to live when I "am old", also where I want to travel to with and without the kids.
Later on Portuguese as well - Portugal is my second, slightly less expensive, option for retiring.

I speak English fluently enough, basic German, and also some Spanish, but have forgotten most as I don't use it. Swedish is my mother tongue, so I can also understand some Norwegian and Danish.

I am using DuoLingo for the Italian, currently on a 46 days strike. I do try to listen to some you tube as well, but not much yet. I want to increase this, and maybe also some newspaper reading.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2020, 04:28:45 PM »

To be fair, in Spanish you do nearly every verb "at" someone, due to the personal "a", even if the word "to" wouldn't be included in an English translation of the sentence. Although it's a lot more nuanced than that, of course...here's a nice little summary: https://www.spanishdict.com/answers/116131/personal-a

I've been doing online Spanish lessons with a Colombian teacher and a friend of mine.  She's much less fluent than me, but it's good because it's forced me to get deeply familiar with some concepts I knew at a more superficial level, add more vocabulary (on point to this post), and just the practice of being forced to speak extemporaneously, which is hard but good practice.  I'm getting better at correcting myself as I go (with matching masculine/feminine articles to nouns - esp. the hard ones like el mapa or la foto - or verb tense when I realize I've gone with a plural instead of a singular, etc.), but it's still such a start-stop-slow way to speak that I have a hard time forcing myself to do it in day-to-day life unless I'm forced to.  This is my forever road block in getting fluent. 
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 04:40:32 PM by sui generis »

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2020, 04:30:31 PM »
I'm going to follow because I am frustrated with my progress in learning languages that should come to me easily, especially Spanish since I spend a lot of time in Mexico and Central America and I plan to spend more time there starting next fall. I was born in Africa, grand-parents from both sides spoke their own dialects, a form of Catalan on mom's side, and a dialect of Neapolitan on dad's side, but neither could speak "real" Catalan or Italian. I can understand both dialects which are surprisingly very similar, but these dialects are practically useless because nobody speaks them here, and I have no intention or desire to go there. The common language for this happy tribe was French which they speak perfectly but with a weird accent. I also speak French (both France and Québec versions) although after spending 40 years in English Canada, I regularly have to pause a few seconds to find the correct word or expression in proper French. I am working hard these days to perfect my Spanish, but the similarities and false or deceptive cognates with French, Catalan, and Italian throw me off...Your method is what I need...but being lazy by nature, I will have to include this in my daily routine...

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2020, 10:03:07 AM »
411. to spin:                                               dar vueltas
412. film (reel):                                          la fotográfica, el filma
413. fingerprint:                                          la huella digital
414. flame:                                                 la llama
415. first aid:                                              los primeros auxilios
416. pattern:                                              diseño, estampado (print)
417: flow (of water):                                   el flujo
418: key (musical):                                     la tecla
419: fog:                                                    la niebla
420: footprint:                                            la huella
421. remains (body):                                   los restos
422. gymnast:                                            el/la gymnasta
423: jet (stream):                                       el chorro
424: bushy:                                               espeso
425: serving dish:                                      la fuente, el platillo (food dish)
426: to wear (glasses):                               usar lentes
427: globe:                                                el terráqueo
428: paste:                                                la pasta
429: post (pole):                                        el poste
430: to score (sports):                                marcar
431: billy goat:                                          el chivo
        nanny goat:                                       la cabra
        kid goat:                                            chivito/a
432: goggles:                                            las gafas
433: goldfish:                                            pez dorado
434: golf:                                                  el golf
435: golf club:                                           el palo de golf
436: to hand:                                            pasar, dar
437: grasshopper:                                      el saltamontes
438. to strum:                                           rasguear
439: to pluck:                                            puntear (guitar)
                                                                arrancar (to pull out)
                                                                desplumar/depilar (de-feather, de-hair)
440. musical strings:                                  las cuerdas
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 08:57:51 PM by Luz »

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2020, 11:04:13 AM »
If you don't mind, I'll make my next vocabulary contribution:

el ajedrez                                     chess
muela                                          molar (tooth)
reduje                                          I reduced (irregular past)
resbalar                                       slip, slide
atascado                                      stuck
una apuesta                                 a bet
tengo miedo -de- hacer algo (verbo)    be afraid of doing something (verb)
tengo miedo -a- algo (sustantivo)        be afraid of something (noun)
qué oso!                                      how embarrasing
contratar                                     hire
sacacorchos                                 corkscrew
salvamanteles                              placemat
mantel                                        tablecloth
pasar a ver a alguien                    drop by to see somebody
carpa                                          tent
palanca                                       stick shift
peca                                           freckle
paulatinamente                           gradually
escarabajo                                  beetle
año bisiesto                                leap year
los matices                                 nuances

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2020, 05:58:48 PM »
441. to leak:                                        dejar escapar, perder
442. hangar:                                        el hangar
443. hawk/falcon:                                 el halcón
444. headlight:                                     el faro
        taillight:                                      la calavera
445. hearing aid:                                 el audífono
446. heel:                                           el talón
447. propeller:                                     la hélice
448. shelter:                                       el refugio
449. to hover:                                     sostenerse en el aire
450. to hibernate:                               invernar
451. hot air balloon:                            globo de aire caliente
452. to stick out:                                sobresalir (project) asomar (from behind something)
453. to wallow:                                  revolcarse
454. opening:                                    la apertura
455. hoof:                                          el casco
       paw:                                          la pata
456. crease:                                       el pliegue
457. to warn:                                     alertar
458. mane:                                        el pelo (la crin?)
459. mare:                                        la yegua
       stallion:                                      el semental
       foal:                                          el/la potro/a
460. hutch:                                       la conejera (rabbit), la alacena (cupboard)
461. animal call:                                el grito
462. iceberg:                                     el iceberg
463. icicle:                                        el carámbano
464. to drip:                                      gotear
465. igloo:                                        el iglú
466. ridge:                                       la cresta
467. injection/shot:                           la inyección
468. to prick:                                    pinchar
469. to invent:                                  inventar
470. wrinkle:                                     la arruga

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2020, 10:22:47 AM »
I realized I am posting backwards (Spanish - English) from how your posting.  I'll flip them for this installment

jam                                                    mermelada                       
tap, faucet                                          grifo           
defend onseself                                   autodefenderse                   
opposite                                             opuesto                         
whole kernel corn                                maíz desgranado                 
jack (tool to lift things)                        gato                           
expectations                                       expectativas                     
ground beef                                        carne molida                     
in the middle of nowhere                     en medio de la nada             
makes no sense                                  no tiene sentido                 
splash                                                chapotear                       
flashlight                                            linterna                         
twenty-four hours a day                       las veinticuatro horas al día   
grater                                                 rallador                         
nutmeg                                               la nuez moscada                 
slimy                                                  baboso                           
delays                                                demoras                         
a model (miniature representation)       una maqueta   
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 10:30:22 AM by dougules »

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2020, 01:27:09 PM »
@dougules feel free to post in whatever way that works for you! Everyone's approach is a bit different. I post my vocab list to this thread for the accountability. I would blow off my studies if not for the fact that you all know that by mid-year, I should be at 500 words. It really helps me get my butt in gear!

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2020, 10:19:55 AM »
Just a little question, should "heel" (#446) be «tacón»?

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2020, 11:54:11 AM »

In Central Mexico, heel as in the body part is el talón. If it's part of a shoe, for example, it's el tacón.
I have 5 or so mistakes in my lists that I need to correct! Hopefully Monday.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2020, 02:05:42 PM »

In Central Mexico, heel as in the body part is el talón. If it's part of a shoe, for example, it's el tacón.

I learned something.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2020, 02:16:25 PM »

I learned something.

Me too! I also didn't clarify on my list which "heel" I was referring to.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2020, 08:29:02 PM »
471. ivy:                              la hiedra
472. jacket:                         la chaqueta
473. to spread (smear):        untar
474. jar:                             el tarro
475. needle:                        la aguja
476. emerald:                     la esmeralda
        ruby:                          el rubí
477. to fit together:             corresponder a
478. judo:                           el judo
479. pitcher/jug:                 la jarra
480. spout:                         el pico
481. to pour:                       verter, echar, servir (bebidas)
482. to juggle:                    hacer juegos malabares con
483. steamy:                      lleno de vapor
484. pouch:                        la bolsa, la pequeña
485. to chop:                      picar
        to grind:                    moler
       to slice:                      rebanar
        to cut:                       cortar
486. kennel:                      la caseta para perros
487. to rule:                      reinar
       to govern:                  gobernar
488. to kneel:                    arrodillarse
489. blade (knife):             la hoja
490. knight:                      el caballero
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 01:25:30 PM by Luz »

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #80 on: June 16, 2020, 08:47:30 PM »
491. loop:                                   la lazada
492. knuckle:                              el nudillo
493. knot:                                  el nudo
494. rope:                                  la cuerda
495. eucalyptus:                         el eucalipto
496. frame (structure):               el cuadro
497. stair/rung:                         el escalón
498. to climb:                            trepar, escalar, subir
499. lioness:                              la leona
500. to litter:                             tirar basura en, ensuciarse
501. lawn:                                 el césped
502. lawnmower:                       la cortadora
503. unkept:                             enmarañado
504. to lean/to tilt:                    inclinarse
505. leafy:                                frondoso
506. to borrow:                         tomar prestado
507. lifeboat:                            el bote salvavidos
508. lightning:                          el relámpago, el rayo
509. thunderstorm:                   la tormenta (eléctrica/con truenos y relámpagos)
510. shaggy (hairy):                  peludo

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #81 on: June 16, 2020, 09:23:35 PM »
Every other night, my husband and I switch off reading articles to each other in English and Spanish. I've seen a few of the words from my list, which is fun, and also have picked up a few new ones. "Jornada" is the word that keeps popping up this week.

I still haven't made listening (to the radio/podcasts/youtube) a habit. When does everyone else fit their listening in? I thought it would work while cooking, but I'm too distracted trying to keep the food from burning while wrangling my toddler. Also, what do you all listen to?

I'm having a baby in a few weeks and decided to scale down my weekly word count to 20. I'll try to take 2 weeks off and then get back at it (this could be wishful thinking). Hopefully the baby is super relaxed and makes my job easy. We're also pushing back our Mexico gap year plans to 6 or 7 years from now, so I think I'll still reach my goal with 20 words and it will be more realistic.

I'm interested to hear what's worked for you so far and what barriers have come up. My main issue is just making myself do my word list (I never feel like it). I'm happy with the fact that I'm retaining all my words (retention was my biggest problem in the past).

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #82 on: June 18, 2020, 11:19:56 AM »
I found out how to make tables with the code here, so I'm going to try it out with this installment:

lever, stick shift (car)          palanca
crew (ship/aircraft)          tripulación
hierarchy          jerarquía
the bridge (of a ship)          la puente (de un buque)
steep          escarpado
involved          involucrado
famine          hambruna
balloon          globo
dining room          comedor
to harm (formal)          perjudicar

Edit: Had one of the pairs switched.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 02:58:59 PM by dougules »

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2020, 05:58:08 PM »
Can't recommend specific programs for you since I'm focused on a different language, but I have found habits that work. Best thing is to force  follow a habit of a certain schedule.

I download a 10 minute news podcast and listen to it every morning (six days a week).  Usually on my commute to work, but not always.  Sometimes while getting ready in the bathroom.  Or whatever.   But I always listen, it's just a habit.

I also keep track in my weekly bullet journal of a commitment to watch at least three hours of TV programs or movies.   I usually try to record programs that I'd enjoy watching in English as well, so it becomes kind of a combination of learning with brain candy.  Typically I break that up into 30 minutes per day, but if I'm just not feeling it one day I allow myself to skip that day, but still make up the time.   I do have a regular exercise schedule and so I piggyback on that.    I try to watch while exercising (multi-tasking bigtime here) but sometimes will just kick back on the couch and relax.

I can tell you that with practice it actually becomes easier.   When I first started I would have to really concentrate ... could not listen while driving for example.   As you ear improves, you understand more and need to focus a bit less, which frees you up to listen at times and places where you are not 100% concentrating, more similar to the level of concentration required to listen to something in English.

Every other night, my husband and I switch off reading articles to each other in English and Spanish. I've seen a few of the words from my list, which is fun, and also have picked up a few new ones. "Jornada" is the word that keeps popping up this week.

I still haven't made listening (to the radio/podcasts/youtube) a habit. When does everyone else fit their listening in? I thought it would work while cooking, but I'm too distracted trying to keep the food from burning while wrangling my toddler. Also, what do you all listen to?

I'm having a baby in a few weeks and decided to scale down my weekly word count to 20. I'll try to take 2 weeks off and then get back at it (this could be wishful thinking). Hopefully the baby is super relaxed and makes my job easy. We're also pushing back our Mexico gap year plans to 6 or 7 years from now, so I think I'll still reach my goal with 20 words and it will be more realistic.

I'm interested to hear what's worked for you so far and what barriers have come up. My main issue is just making myself do my word list (I never feel like it). I'm happy with the fact that I'm retaining all my words (retention was my biggest problem in the past).

This is so helpful and such a great approach! Good point about the issue of concentration. I don't think I'm at the point where I can multitask yet. Maybe I'll have to set aside time at first where I can really focus and then eventually combine it with another task as my understanding improves. I'll have to do some research on podcasts.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2020, 09:06:52 PM »
I found out how to make tables with the code here, so I'm going to try it out with this installment:

lever, stick shift (car)          palanca
crew (ship/aircraft)          tripulación
hierarchy          jerarquía
the bridge (of a ship)          la puente (de un buque)
steep          escarpado
involved          involucrado
famine          hambruna
balloon          globo
dining room          comedor
to harm (formal)          perjudicar

Edit: Had one of the pairs switched.

That looks sharp! How do you create a table?

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2020, 09:54:45 AM »
That looks sharp! How do you create a table?

You can use tags in brackets [], table for the whole table, tr for a row, and td for a cell.  Then end each one with /td, /tr, and /table.  I also put in a cell with spaces to space it out.  There's probably a better way to do that, but I don't know it yet.  I'm putting in quotes so it doesn't actually interpret it as a table:

["table"]
["tr"]["td"]row 1 cell 1["/td"]["td"]      ["/td"]["td"]row 1 cell 2["/td"]["/tr"]
["tr"]["td"]row 2 cell 1["/td"]["td"]      ["/td"]["td"]row 2 cell 2["/td"]["/tr"]
["/table"]

Take the quotes out and it gives you

row 1 cell 1      row 1 cell 2
row 2 cell 1      row 2 cell 2

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2020, 10:23:14 AM »
Parce que je sais qu'il y a des gens ici qui sont intérressés au français, je vais donner des mots en français aussi. 

to sift, to seive          tamiser
steering wheel          le volant
interested in          interessé à
can I? (interrogative form)          puis-je?
at the same time          en même temps
keep one's word          tenir sa parole
sth browns (cooking)          qqch revient
to brown sth (cooking)          faire revenir qqch
leap year          année bissexte
a grater          la râpe
fur          la fourrure
scared          effrayé
a meow          un miaulement
ensure that          faire en sorte que
press the button          appuyer sur le bouton
slobbery          baveux
rush hour          heure de pointe

correction: coquille
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 02:54:55 PM by dougules »

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2020, 10:54:49 AM »
I was born & raised in West Texas & took four years of Spanish. I wouldn't say that I was ever fluent, but I could certainly pick up enough in a conversation to get by. I haven't used the language in over a decade now, and I can barely recall more than basic words at this point.

I would, however, like to learn Portuguese and actually retain the language. It's going to be a while, but I would like to take a trip to Portugal, and it looks like a very good place for expats.

For those who are fluent in languages they don't frequently use, what are your tips for not losing the language over time if you don't have anyone to speak with?

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2020, 03:44:21 PM »
I was born & raised in West Texas & took four years of Spanish. I wouldn't say that I was ever fluent, but I could certainly pick up enough in a conversation to get by. I haven't used the language in over a decade now, and I can barely recall more than basic words at this point.

I would, however, like to learn Portuguese and actually retain the language. It's going to be a while, but I would like to take a trip to Portugal, and it looks like a very good place for expats.

For those who are fluent in languages they don't frequently use, what are your tips for not losing the language over time if you don't have anyone to speak with?

I don't know that you'll actually lose it.  I think it just gets really rusty.  My sister lived in Portugal for a year and a half speaking only Portuguese.  My parents went there to help her move back home, and despite being a native speaker she could barely speak English when they got there.  Naturally it came back, but it took a few days of talking to them before she fully got back to normal fluency. 

I've noticed just doing Duolingo every day has helped keep things fresh.  I stumble on words a lot less when I try to talk to my sister and brother-in-law in Quebec now.  I think movies, videos, and music would probably be helpful, too. 

If you know a decent amount of Spanish, I would suggest doing Portuguese in Duolingo as if you were a native Spanish speaker.  You get a 2-for-1 deal, and counterintuitively I think it helps to keep from getting confused on the small differences between the two.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: July 01, 2020, 09:41:00 AM »

I don't know that you'll actually lose it.  I think it just gets really rusty.  My sister lived in Portugal for a year and a half speaking only Portuguese.  My parents went there to help her move back home, and despite being a native speaker she could barely speak English when they got there.  Naturally it came back, but it took a few days of talking to them before she fully got back to normal fluency. 

I've noticed just doing Duolingo every day has helped keep things fresh.  I stumble on words a lot less when I try to talk to my sister and brother-in-law in Quebec now.  I think movies, videos, and music would probably be helpful, too. 

If you know a decent amount of Spanish, I would suggest doing Portuguese in Duolingo as if you were a native Spanish speaker.  You get a 2-for-1 deal, and counterintuitively I think it helps to keep from getting confused on the small differences between the two.

It looks like Duolingo only offers Brazilian Portuguese, rather than European Portuguese. The dialects are pretty different, though I could probably get by. I started Memrise, though it doesn't have the option for me to try learning as a native Spanish speaker.

It took less than a day to realize that Portuguese is going to be a much more difficult language than Spanish. In Spanish, there is lot less phonology. Words sound exactly like they look in Spanish, for the most part. That doesn't seem to be the case in Portuguese.

Add to that the fact that Spanish is a more universal language (half of my kid's toys/books have Spanish settings/translations), and I think I'll be better served just re-learning Spanish for now.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #90 on: July 01, 2020, 11:11:19 AM »
It looks like Duolingo only offers Brazilian Portuguese, rather than European Portuguese. The dialects are pretty different, though I could probably get by. I started Memrise, though it doesn't have the option for me to try learning as a native Spanish speaker.

It took less than a day to realize that Portuguese is going to be a much more difficult language than Spanish. In Spanish, there is lot less phonology. Words sound exactly like they look in Spanish, for the most part. That doesn't seem to be the case in Portuguese.

Add to that the fact that Spanish is a more universal language (half of my kid's toys/books have Spanish settings/translations), and I think I'll be better served just re-learning Spanish for now.

Does Memrise have European Portuguese?  I'd be surprised if there's a lot of material out there for European Portuguese given that only 10 million people live in Portugal in comparison to 200 million in Brazil.  I don't know that learning Brazilian Portuguese would be a huge issue if there is a lot more material for it, though.  The pronunciations are fairly different, but in the end I don't think the jump from Brazilian to European Portuguese would be much harder than American to British English.

Yes, pronouncing Portuguese is more difficult than Spanish, but unlike English it's fairly regular.  You just have to make it clear to your brain that it's not Spanish. 

Spanish is more useful in general.  Plus the languages are still similar enough that learning more Spanish now will make it easier to learn Portuguese later. 

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: July 01, 2020, 11:32:51 AM »

Does Memrise have European Portuguese?  I'd be surprised if there's a lot of material out there for European Portuguese given that only 10 million people live in Portugal in comparison to 200 million in Brazil.  I don't know that learning Brazilian Portuguese would be a huge issue if there is a lot more material for it, though.  The pronunciations are fairly different, but in the end I don't think the jump from Brazilian to European Portuguese would be much harder than American to British English.

Of the three apps I downloaded (Duolingo & Busuu as well), it was the only one that had European Portuguese, though I'm sure that it's pretty limited. Additionally, of those three, it's the only one that claims to have Mexican Spanish. However, I think those two are closer than the variations of Portuguese.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #92 on: July 02, 2020, 01:32:46 PM »
Parce que je sais qu'il y a des gens ici qui sont intérressés au français, je vais donner des mots en français aussi. 

to sift, to seive          tamiser
steering wheel          le volant
interested in          interessé à
can I? (interrogative form)          puis-je?
at the same time          en même temps
keep one's word          tenir sa parole
sth browns (cooking)          qqch reveint
to brown sth (cooking)          faire revenir qqch
leap year          année bissexte
a grater          la râpe
fur          la fourrure
scared          effrayé
a meow          un miaulement
ensure that          faire en sorte que
press the button          appuyer sur le bouton
slobbery          baveux
rush hour          heure de pointe
Ah chouette, un autre francophone!

Je ne connais pas le mot « reveint ». En fait, mon portable essaie de le corriger « revient ». Je connais plutôt le mot « dorer » (« make golden »).

Merci pour « année bissexte ». Voilà quelques chose de nouveau pour moi.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #93 on: July 02, 2020, 02:55:28 PM »
Ah chouette, un autre francophone!

Je ne connais pas le mot « reveint ». En fait, mon portable essaie de le corriger « revient ». Je connais plutôt le mot « dorer » (« make golden »).

Merci pour « année bissexte ». Voilà quelques chose de nouveau pour moi.

Merci.  «Reveint» était une coquille(?).  Ça devait être «revient»

J'ai vu "faire revenir" dans une recette.  Je ne sais pas si c'est très commun.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 03:00:24 PM by dougules »

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #94 on: July 07, 2020, 08:12:24 PM »
I'm posting quite a bit of vocab because I decided to give myself at least a month off after having my baby. Thanks for the info on creating tables, @dougules! When I return, I'll put my lists into the proper format. For now, lopsided will have to do!

511. fastening:                                     el cierre
512. to glow:                                       resplandecer
513. bead:                                           la cuenta
514. luggage:                                      el equipaje
515. magician:                                     el mago
516. steel:                                          el acero
517. amazing:                                     asombroso
518. magnifying glass:                         la lupa
519. mammal:                                     el mamífero
520. mask:                                         la máscara
       face mask:                                   el cubrebocas
521. somersault:                                 la votereta
522. match:                                        la cerilla
523. to find out:                                  averiguar
524. mechanic:                                   el/la mecánico/a
525. medal:                                        la medalla
526. to melt:                                      derretir, disolver
527. copper:                                       el cobre
528. iron:                                           el hierro
529. to feed:                                       dar de comer
530. mine:                                          la mina

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #95 on: July 07, 2020, 08:24:24 PM »
531. coal:                                               el carbón
532. microscope:                                    el microscopio
533. refection:                                        el reflejo
534. to stir:                                            revolver
535. to pretend:                                     fingir (NOT pretender)
536. fairy tale:                                        el cuenta de hadas
537. make believe:                                 la fantasía
538. measure:                                        la medida
539. satellite:                                         el satélite
540. mosque:                                         la mesquita
541. synagogue:                                     la sinagoga
542. rocky:                                            rocoso
543. device:                                           el aparato
544. pointer (tool):                                 el puntero
545. fungus:                                           el hongo
546. musical note:                                  la nota
547. to hammer:                                     martillar, clavar
548. spike:                                             el clavo grande
549. navy:                                             la armada
550. sailor:                                             el marinero
        sailboat:                                         el velero
        sail:                                               la vela

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #96 on: July 07, 2020, 08:43:28 PM »
551. warship:                                          el barco de guerra
552. to sew:                                            coser
553. fishing net:                                      la red de pesca
554. newt:                                              el tritón
555. bolt:                                               el tornillo
       nut:                                                la tuerca
556. nutcracker:                                     el cascanueces
557. salt water:                                      agua salada (also, de agua salada if it's an adjective)
558. symbol:                                          el símbolo
559. pole:                                               el palo, el poste
560. blade (mechanics):                          la pala (oar), la paleta (propeller)
561. to row:                                           remar
562. Pacific ocean:                                 el océano Pacífico
       Atlantic ocean:                                el océano Atlántico
563. greasy:                                          grasiento
       oily:                                               grasoso
564. to water (eyes):                              lagrimear
       to water (mouth):                           hacersele agua la boca (se me hace agua la boca)
565. opera:                                           la ópera
566. to examine (medically):                   revisar, checar
567. optometrist:                                   el/la optometrista
568. area (region):                                 la área, la zona, la region
569. organ (musical instrument):             el órgano
570. keyboard:                                       el teclado

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #97 on: July 07, 2020, 08:59:11 PM »
571. pipe:                                             el tubo
572. doghouse:                                     la casita de perro
573. oyster:                                          el ostión
574. grand (lavish):                               grandioso
575. palm tree:                                     la palma
576. parachute:                                     el paracaídas
577. pedestrian:                                    el/la peatón/a
578. trail:                                             el sendero
579. pod:                                              la vaina
580. to peel:                                         pelar
581. pelican:                                         el pelicano
582. graphite:                                       el grafito
583. tame:                                           domesticado, manso
584. photographer:                               el/la fotógrafo/a
585. pie:                                              el pastel or pay?
586. pastry shell:                                  la pasta, la masa
587. boar:                                            el varraco, el cerdo macho
        sow:                                            la cerda
       piglet:                                           el cochinillo
588. pigeon:                                         el pichón
589. to stack:                                       amontonar
590. pin:                                              el alfiler

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #98 on: July 07, 2020, 09:10:36 PM »
591. reward:                                           la recompensa
592. to force:                                          forzar
593. puncture:                                        la ponchadura