Author Topic: Eat Whole Foods Plant Based in 2020  (Read 15268 times)

Luz

• Bristles
Re: Eat Whole Foods Plant Based in 2020
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2020, 08:15:11 PM »
This week I spent $125 on groceries for the first time in forever!! (It's usually $150+)

It was partly because I had a few things to eat up in the freezer. But also from not eating everything from the last week's menu, so there were extras to carry over (we were coming up short at week's end the last few months, so that was surprising).  I also didn't have time to stop at Costco after Sprouts, and I think that helped since most of the Costco items are big-ticket ones that are expensive even though they last.

I'm continuing to reduce animal products by half and expand on side dishes and veggies, and also load up the main dish with plant-based foods as much as possible. We had so much extra food last week, that I will likely start making just 2 dinner and 2 lunch dishes per week. Which I'm hoping will lower the grocery budget (hooray!).

Today we had spaghetti. I added summer squash, mushrooms, pepper, onions, and garlic to the sauce and made garlic bread (though next time I'm thinking a veggie-type antipasto) and roasted cauliflower on the side. We have gobs of leftovers.

I've made more things from scratch lately, because it's cheaper. I cooked dry black beans in the slow cooker and made some soup stock today. I have much more ingredient prep than before, but it kind've evens out if I'm cooking less dinner-type meals. I'm also enjoying the sensory input involved in preparing so much produce. The colors are lovely and the stock smelled so good as it simmered this afternoon.

This week I'm going to continue developing my breakfast menu. I'm working on egg recipes (I did grains last week). I plan to eat 1-2 recipes per week but increase the quantity of plants in each dish in order to decrease the cheese and eggs.

I also am joining the "eat everything in your house" MMM challenge. I feel like we waste a lot of food and I want to manage it better. I'm going to start by clearing out the pantry, fridge, and freezer. Then I'll experiment with different ideas for balancing the amount of food coming into our house with what we are able to consume before it goes bad.
I buy only what's on my shopping list, but the quantities are likely more than we can handle (especially Costco quantities). I prefer buying a huge bag of tortillas from Costco for the same price as buying a bag of 30 from Sprouts, but I wonder if we will spend less on groceries and waste less food if I buy quantities just for the week. So I'll give it a shot for a month or so. Once I have my recipes assembled, I'll likely be better able to plan out Costco purchases, too. But for now, I'm going to take a Costco break and see what comes of it.

iamthepinky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2020, 12:18:29 AM »
Joining. Went completely vegan in October and have been transitioning to WFPB since. I'm mainly doing it for the environment and the animals, but I do care a lot about my health and nutrition so it's a good bonus.

My ultimate goal is to eat WFPB 90 percent of the time with the occasional vegan junk food splurge (I love Miyoko's Vegan Cream Cheese, Tofutti products, and Impossible burgers - plus I live in the bona fide vegan mecca of the USA: Los Angeles. So many amazing vegan restaurants and street fairs to try!)

I've gotten a lot better at cooking without oil this month. I've actually come to prefer it! I've also been loving the recipes in this cookbook: https://www.happyhealthyvegan.org/keep-it-carbed-baby/. I usually modify them a bit to suit my tastes but they're really solid foundational WFPB recipes.

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2020, 12:16:56 PM »
@FIRE_at_45 That shepherd's pie looks great! I had a vegan shepherd pie once and it was actually pretty good. Definitely want to try since I think we'll probably be making something else with potatoes this week. Good idea!

@Kmp2 Sounds like you've been doing great on the plant-based eating front! The sesame noodles look awesome.

@Caoineag Hadn't thought to try hummus on a sandwich yet, that's a good idea!

@mspym Thanks for sharing! I love those kinds of videos. I wish we had stores like Aldi around here because I've heard so many good things about that chain.

@iamthepinky Awesome, glad you're joing us! My husband and I are a fan of Miyoko's as well. I used their cream cheese as part of a cream cheese frosting for vegan cinnamon rolls. So, so good. I'd love to visit LA some time because I'd heard they have a lot of great vegan restaurants. I could definitely stand to eat more oil-free. One time I made pancakes and they soaked up SO much oil (using a stainless steel pan because I don't have a non-stick).

@Luz That's a pretty good reduction in cost still! It's definitely an eye-opener once you start eating through what you have. I think we've done a pretty good job in the last couple months of eating out our pantry, except for some pieces of whole wheat lasagna (blehhhhh).

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2020, 03:07:00 PM »
@Caoineag Hadn't thought to try hummus on a sandwich yet, that's a good idea!

It's a functional replacement for mayo. I don't like dry sandwiches. I find that it works with most veggies but my favorites tend to be cucumber, romaine and kalamata olives.

I am in the mood for open faced sandwiches (traditionally this is a slice of bread topped with mashed potatoes and some sort of meat with gravy, usually turkey or beef) so am planning to make colcannon (mashed veggies and potatoes) and either sloppy joe black lentils or a black lentils version of my beef stew. I haven't yet decided which I want more.

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2020, 12:25:58 PM »
I've been switching up our breakfasts a bit and have been having 'success' with this combination of foods for breakfast. By success, I mean something that will keep me going until at least lunch time. Usually we like to do steel cut oats because it's quick and easy, but it still leaves us wanting to snack and I also can get bored eating certain foods too often. I've started this at 6 AM in the morning and finish, assemble, and start eating around 6:30 AM, and still feel pretty good 7 hours later. The whole thing is 41 grams, or more depending on if you like to use more chickpeas/beans and tofu. My husband usually wants 1 cup of chickpeas (which is 14 grams of protein) just for himself. Overall, pretty good amount of protein considering 46 grams is what is recommended in a day for a sedentary woman. And of course, tons of fiber and nutrients.

I'll start with:
- 1-2 cups of roasted sweet potato, chopped into 3/4 to 1" chunks and roasted for 25-30 minutes at 425 degrees (no oil added) (and/or russet potato)

While the potatoes are baking I will prep:
- at least 1/2 of cooked chickpeas (also to bake, but I throw it in halfway into the potato baking time). No oil, just rinsing.
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 of red onion, chopped
- 2 cups of spinach or a 1/4 of parsley, chopped
- cherry/grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup of tofu scramble (crumbled) with a couple teaspoons of liquid aminos and a bit of turmeric, paprika, and black pepper
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- tortillas (warming them up on the stovetop)

I just put a tbsp of grapeseed oil in a pan, saute the garlic, then onion, then tofu. At the end I throw in the tomatoes and spinach/parsley to warm and wilt.

Combine all the cooked foods together in a bowl and eat as is or add nutritional yeast, salsa, squeeze of lemon, or tortilla. We've been getting these large, slightly thicker tortillas too and surprisingly they're 8 grams of protein apiece. According to Chronometer, this meal is ridiculously high in Vitamin A, C, and Iron. Not bad for breakfast! It's also like 900 calories, though, so adjust proportions according to your needs depending on how active you are.

Would also recommend subbing out some of the sweet potato/potato with rice or quinoa.

SCUBAstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2020, 01:22:45 PM »
Following with interest! It's nice to see the diversity of eating on this thread. I started eating WFPB and went fully vegan around 8ish years ago (I'm losing track now) but the last 3 or 4 years got significantly lazier about cooking whole foods and gave in to a lot of (delicious) vegan junk food. And then this past year I've been pregnant / have a newborn, so my usual standards have once again slipped between cravings and sleep deprivation and I started eating eggs for breakfast again. And whatever is in the cafeteria cookies. So many cookies. I'm trying to give myself some grace as I do not currently have the energy to cook the number of calories that my body wants to consume while breastfeeding... but I do want to get back closer to the WFPB ideal. I think once my kid starts sleeping through the night I may be able to be more deliberate about meal planning and such. Baby steps until then... no pun intended...and I'm really enjoying the recipe ideas here!

TrMama

« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2020, 02:57:11 PM »
While on a work trip last week I was able to get away from the group for a single night. Since I couldn't handle any further "peopling" I stopped by a grocery store and bought myself the following dinner:

bag of kale salad mix
can of black beans with a pop top
container of fresh salsa

These things mixed together made the best dinner served in the peace and quiet of my hotel room.

Also, while I was away DH cooked only vegetarian food (not WFPB yet) for himself and the kids. This alone is a huge step and I'm super proud of him.

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2020, 03:00:48 PM »
Joining this thread as I’m converting to WFPB to help resolve some health issues.  I’ve been vegetarian in the past so I know eliminating meat won’t be an issue.  But cheese and oil?  Eeek!  I’m just hoping I can learn to cook differently quick enough to not put my family off food.  Haha.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2020, 01:06:16 PM »
I spent $150 this week on groceries, so the $125 may have been a fluke. But my husband and I agreed that $150 is a reasonable amount to spend on an area that's priority for us (and we buy as quality as possible). So I think that will be my baseline. It's less pressure at least.

I also realized that I need to get serious about adhering to FIFO (first in first out) in my pantry and fridge. I did that this week  (and let my husband know too) and it's really helped food stretch. I'm keeping an area in the fridge for leftovers. And quickly going through our fridge and pantry every day in order to keep things moving. Things get lost in the veggie drawer especially. But our fridge is looking pretty tidy today.

This week I discovered soups (someone on this thread mentioned how great they are). I'm experimenting with adding soup to most meals, to reduce animal products and to stretch the quantity. This week it's roasted cauliflower soup.

I made a parsnip (and potato) mash today. I'm proud to have finally broken out of my carrot rut!

@SCUBAstache, I'm right there with you as I am pregnant and have a toddler. Though that particular combo is much easier than the newborn stage (and I'm also reducing animal products and not cutting them out entirely at this point). I'm on this thread because I need to revamp my meal planning approach now that it's not just my partner and I. My goal is to have a varied menu (with every single meal and snack listed so I don't have to think about) by the time the new baby arrives this summer. I'll be interested to hear what hacks you come up with.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2020, 01:11:45 PM »
Joining this thread as I’m converting to WFPB to help resolve some health issues.  I’ve been vegetarian in the past so I know eliminating meat won’t be an issue.  But cheese and oil?  Eeek!  I’m just hoping I can learn to cook differently quick enough to not put my family off food.  Haha.

It's a learning process for me too. I'm trying to experiment just enough to broaden our horizons, but not so much that my family is totally turned off to the idea. I'm going really slow with reducing our animal product consumption. I hope it's step-wise enough that they don't really notice!

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2020, 12:53:19 PM »
We didn't do a lot of whole food/plant based cooking last week, we opened a package of bacon and used it across three meals as a condiment. (Seafood chowder, spaghetti carbonara, and a mushroom barley soup). The soup would have been a whole food/plant based had we not added the bacon... But we have switched from pearl barley to hulled barley, and updated the soup recipe for that (ie cooking the barley for 20 minutes before adding everything else, because it takes way longer to cook whole grain barley). I think I'll keep some pearl barley around, kind of like I keep canned beans around for when I can't or don't get around to cooking dry beans before I need them. The whole grain version was very tasty! but it does take a long time to cook.

This week we are doing better, with pasta/spinach bake (although it has lots of cheese), and a 2-bean a sweet potato chili - yum!
Next up is a bean/tomato soup with a parmesan rind broth, and a mushroom/tofu stir fry.

We have made small consistent changes over time and have been successful at altering our behaviour long term. We started with meatless mondays, introduced whole wheat bread, swapped brown rice for white, added beans and lentils to meat loaf/meatballs/chilies/curries/stirfries/tacos/burritos... and now have slowly swapped the meat for mushrooms and tofu - but we still do a meat based meal 1-2 times a week. Sometimes it's just a meat based condiment though.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2020, 02:53:15 PM »
Things are coming along in our effort to pursue more WFPB by replacing dairy and reducing cheese and eggs.  Husband got worried about trying plant-based milk in the popovers we made last weekend, so he bought regular, but he does like plant-based milk just fine, so we're mostly transitioned.  We don't bake a lot. 

I've noticed that we eat more cheese than I thought.  Goat cheese or feta on salads, paremsan/pecorino shavings on various recipes we have on regular rotation and then the occasional thing that's more obvious to me when I was thinking of how much cheese we eat - like monterey jack on our black bean tacos.  There are so few of the latter than I really thought we didn't eat much cheese, but there's a lot more shavings than I thought and we do eat salads pretty frequently.  I'm just "noticing" this for now and will pursue options over time. 

Today I'm having huge cravings for pasta with a ton of cheese on it. I don't know why, I just can't stop thinking about ooey gooey cheese just totally burying a big bowl of pasta.  And I'm not even hungry. Luckily, my laziness outweighs my cravings - I don't have this in the house and I'm not ambitious enough to go get it, so I won't be indulging.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2020, 09:19:22 PM »
Tonight we had gallo pinto for dinner.  This is something I've been making for many many years and have always found satisfying. Long before I was intentionally reducing meat or trying to avoid processed foods. 

I have a funny association with gallo pinto.  My 10th grade Spanish teacher ate it like crazy.  Like possibly for 2-3 meals per day.  And he constantly extolled its virtues in class.  What I found out after I'd already been in class for a while was that he had just the prior year been a like 300 pound man that was very unhealthy.  But over the summer before I enrolled in his class, he lost 100+ pounds eating gallo pinto nonstop.  He apparently spent every summer in Costa Rica, so I'm not sure why that summer was the summer for him to do it, but it was and he did and he became a sort of health nut.  Like worked out a lot and lifted heavy, etc.  It was very hard for me to imagine him being 300 pounds, but I saw the pictures in an old yearbook and indeed it was transformative. Even though now I know more about gallo pinto and its cultural context, my brain still has this latent idea of it as a miracle weight loss food.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2020, 09:45:42 PM »
Now I am looking up gallo pinto recipes. I love this thread.

Last night I tried making vegan parmesan and it was pretty delicious and super easy so that's another successful dairy product alternative.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2020, 05:43:24 AM »
Ohhh gallo pinto perfectly fits with some of my more Asian-style recipes veggie and herb wise, but would be a new way to add beans to my diet. Thanks for the inspiration @sui generis

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2020, 05:56:10 AM »
Yum. Gallo pinto looks like exactly the kind of dish I would eat for lunch everyday, if available.

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2020, 07:52:15 PM »
I'm thinking this might be a good meal for next week. https://www.ideafit.com/nutrition/spelt-chili/?axs=xejwosekal&utm_source=&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2020 February FitnessConnect Newsletter (1)

And I too looked up pinto de gallo, it does look wonderful.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2020, 10:06:44 PM »
Oh! So glad gallo pinto is an inspiration for several of you! I guess I've been eating it regularly for so long that I hardly think of it anymore. I almost didn't post it but was pleased to notice that such an old recipe fit so well into new eating goals. Its nice not to have to totally revamp my life. 

From what I recall (and as you may see discussed in the recipes) gallo pinto is often eaten with different condiments. My recipe suggests just cilantro, but I am aware some people eat it with a fried egg on top, or some salsa of any style, etc.  Lots of options to keep it interesting!

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2020, 08:48:31 PM »
This week was a little discouraging. We ran out of food at the end of the week. And I spent $30 over my goal at the grocery store today. It also takes me twice as long to meal plan (2 hours every week instead of 1) and I'm spending a few more hours preparing food than before. I'm not sure how I'm going to sustain the extra time it takes (~3 hours) with a newborn set to arrive this summer.

But the whole reason I joined this challenge was to troubleshoot the different barriers to WFPB eating that pop up. I didn't expect it to be a breeze (though that first week of spending less than usual and having plenty of food to last us through the week likely gave me a false sense of what I was in for). I'm convinced that food is medicine and I'm happy to trade a bit more time and effort (though I'd love to keep my spending stable) for the health benefits involved. And though it's been my intention to eat a wider variety of whole foods for years, this is the first time I've seen this much forward movement. We've replaced about half our animal products with produce and other plant-based foods! I feel really good physically and I'm happy the toddler is getting a good foundation in healthy eating habits.

So I guess I'll keep on keeping on. I'm still chipping away at getting my master menu up and running. Once that is more established, it will likely be easier to make improvements on weekly spending and quantities. While I'm working on the menu, I will continue to focus on halving animal products and beefing up plant-based foods to fill in for them.

A few recipes I'm excited about this week:
-corn and tomato soups
-spring rolls with peanut sauce
-sesame stir fry noodles, as mentioned above
-grilled veggie and hummus sandwiches
-for breakfast, this: https://www.howsweeteats.com/2012/04/breakfast-quinoa/ and this: https://minimalistbaker.com/the-simple-but-good-breakfast-bowl-20-minutes/

« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 08:50:44 PM by Luz »

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2020, 09:53:42 PM »
Well congrats on the progress made and your perseverance in the face of some challenges!  It sounds like you already expect meal planning to start taking a shorter time in the future once you get the ball rolling more so to speak...but I am surprised that that takes two hours!  What does "meal planning" entail? 

I'm not sure it's the same thing I'm thinking of because for us, it takes about 10-12 minutes about 2x per week (because of limitations on how much we can carry, we generally go twice per week).  Each person is responsible for piping up about what's needed for their own breakfasts, lunch and snacks (which we do separately and are pretty standard), then we plan a special Sunday breakfast and all dinners together.  Almost 100% of the time, dinners are a main dish and a veggie dish (even though almost all main dishes are vegetarian - it's just a volume/variety question).  A lot of times, we just plan the main dish and then write down something like "4x veg" on the grocery list and the shopper (we trade off) is responsible for selecting 4 nights worth based on what's looking good at the store.  Is there more to your meal planning than this? (Curious partly to see if I'm missing out on something I should be doing differently....although as you implied, adding more time to meal planning is not exactly desirable).

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2020, 01:09:16 AM »
Luz- our mealplanning takes ~10 minutes mostly because there is a chunk of slack built in for finding supercheap seasonal produce, i.e. "a vegetable" could be broccoli OR beans OR bok choi, same with "fruit". We don't plan breakfasts or lunches because they don't really change much from week to week, so then it comes down to roughing out 5 or so mains and then buying what we need for them + the staples.

Cross-posted from my journal:
VEGANISH MEALPLAN
note: we have boys all week so there will be more animal protein than this last one which was VG:20, V:1, M:0
- breakfasts are oats with rice milk/fruit or bagels w pb/apple VG
- lunch is previous day's dinner + some form of coleslaw/salad 90% VG
Today I made Egyptian zucchini [https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/egyptian-courgettes-dukkah-sprinkle] and Lemony Artichoke and Quinoa Salad [https://www.budgetbytes.com/lemony-artichoke-and-quinoa-salad/#wprm-recipe-container-44719] so that will feature in lunches.

Sun - vegan chili in damper rolls, coleslaw VG
Mon- veggie burgers (home made black bean burgers) with iceberg wedge and oven fries VG [https://www.skinnytaste.com/spicy-black-bean-burgers-with-chipotle/]
Tue - pita, falafel, chevapi, hummus, baba ganoush misc vegetables V for me
Wed - pasta with prosciutto, peas and veg M
Thur - Thai curry with fish M
Fri -??? Tbd. Maybe corn or zucchini fritters. These are quite good: https://theminimalistvegan.com/vegan-chickpea-pancakes/

Miss Stachio

• Stubble
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2020, 01:11:11 PM »
Meal prep this week:

- A double batch of veggie dumplings from https://thewoksoflife.com/vegetable-dumplings/ divided into portions and frozen. They were really tasty and easy to boil/pan fry for a quick leftover meal.
- 12 servings of veggie chili with lots of different kinds of beans and mushrooms
- broccoli, chickpea, and rice salad (this recipe with rice instead of the pita: https://cookieandkate.com/broccoli-chickpea-pita-sandwiches/)
- apple crisp and corn bread

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2020, 02:43:49 PM »
I bought the rest of the ingredients for this Scallion Herb Chickpea Salad, which is absolutely delicious. I still eat a little dairy so I use the standard Greek yogurt, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't work perfectly with vegan plain yogurt or sour cream.

I have several avocados ripening in my kitchen right now and have been eating one per day (they're fairly small). I plan to make a big pot of beans this week and eat those topped with avocado and salsa. I also foresee a few avocado toast lunches. Honestly, cheap avocados are one of the best things about Superbowl season.

Most recent breakfasts have been a bowl of stove-cooked rolled oats mixed with a couple tablespoons of peanut butter. It makes a very slightly sweet bowl of oatmeal and is very filling.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2020, 03:03:52 PM »
We baked pumpkin bread this weekend for Sunday breakfast.  It wasn't quite WFPB given that it had a few eggs, but one thing we did that I think is very much in that spirit is experiment with reducing the sugar.  DH made one loaf with 3/4 the sugar from the recipe and the other with 1/2.  No other modifications at all.  The texture turned out just fine even with the reduced volume of dry ingredients.  And for me, the taste to the two of them were incredibly similar to each other, and I was perfectly happy with how sweet both of them were.  DH thought the 1/2 sugar was a bit too far and thinks 2/3 might be perfect.  I was surprised he could taste a difference between the two since he's usually a less sensitive taster than I am.

The recipe called for a sort of preposterous amount of sugar (3 cups iirc for two loaves), so that would still be a cup of sugar per loaf if we did what DH wants for the future.  I'm sure we could modify away from using plain white sugar as the sweetener at some point too, but I think that will fall behind making efforts at replacing eggs in recipes for me.

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2020, 04:38:00 PM »
Gallo pinto looks great!

I love breakfast quinoa, I like to do a similar copycat version from a resort I visited last year with red quinoa and different toppings.

Potstickers are delicious – haven't made them in a while but they're great to freeze and have on hand to throw into a skillet and steam-fry!

Regarding meal planning, my husband and I have been finding Paprika pretty useful. Works on iOS, Android, or OS. Doesn't really take us that long, and it helps us manage the grocery list. The best part is, one of us can easily figure out what to do in case one of us is busy or has to work late because we'll know what the recipe is for each day and don't need to waste time explaining it to each other.

We tried this gnocchi vegetable soup the other day with homemade pesto (using Violife as the parmesan - would've tried the homemade nut version but my husband just buys these blocks cuz he loves it so much), and it was pretty good! I recommend adding spices to it but it's a pretty good basic. Will be making it again. I'd also like to make some homemade gnocchi and freeze them to have on hand, but this time we just purchased frozen ones since they were relatively inexpensive... although you can get a sack of russet potatoes for pretty cheap, too, and a bit of flour costs hardly anything.

Also spontaneously made japchae since I had a bunch of it on hand I'd been meaning to use. A quick meal for anyone who hasn't tried it yet: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/262045/vegan-japchae-korean-noodles/
Added kimchi (vegan) for the probiotic factor.

For tonight, we're planning on this rosemary white bean soup tonight which I'm excited for because it looks pretty simple and brainless to put together. Already soaked and boiled the beans, so they're ready to go. https://www.budgetbytes.com/easy-rosemary-garlic-white-bean-soup/

Pizza seems to be a weekly staple now that we've more or less perfected dough-making, but this week we will try switching up the classic marinara sauce to pesto (with squash, inspired by a local pizzeria's version... when we reordered, it was drastically different and rather disappointing) and a sweeter/BBQ type (similar to Amy's no-cheese/vegan pizza... which if anyone has never tried and is tempted, get it! It's good). For the BBQ one, I think I will top with oyster mushrooms, jackfruit, pineapple (yes, taking a stance on that) and some other things I haven't figured out yet.

@sui generis Have you tried substituting some of the sugar for sweet potato maybe? I made a sweet potato pound cake (egg and dairy free) last month that was pretty good... will have to do it again!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2020, 07:03:05 PM »
I wanted to report some general success with the vegetarian burgers (not vegan, because 1 egg as binder) helped by the use of chipotle pepper and smoked paprika to add a smoky barbeque flavour as well as the [super rare] addition of oven fries to the meal. Boys did great! We preferred the black bean version to the chickpea & sweetcorn, but the adults in the house are eating the leftover patties for lunch. [really good].

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2020, 12:12:04 PM »
Good to read through this thread and find some new recipe ideas :)

Last night I made tofu/cabbage wontons from a book my sister gave me for Cmas (Food is the Solution) which were surprisingly tasty with a dipping sauce but took a little effort.
However, my SO found them DELICIOUS. He was blown-away by them-- it's his favourite flavour profile (ginger/garlic/sesame/vinegar/chile).. so I imagine we will make them again in the future (the recipe was tasty but the measurements seemed off so that threw me for a loop).

Another recipe I tried recently was this super tasty masala..it has a bit of spice (which we like) so will definitely make it again. I added spinach to the recipe and then we ate it with MORe steamed spinach (topped with lemon-infused olive oil) and rice. Delicious.
https://www.veganricha.com/2019/02/tofu-amritsari-masala.html

« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 12:37:03 PM by Serendip »

Miss Stachio

• Stubble
« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2020, 12:52:58 PM »
Made a batch of nacho sauce a couple nights ago from https://eatplant-based.com/creamy-vegan-cheese-sauce/. Nice to have veggies and nuts in one sauce that is traditionally junk food.

Was pleased to find veggie options at a ramen restaurant when eating out with a friend - the broth and mushrooms in the veggie ramen were both very tasty.

TrMama

« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2020, 02:49:35 PM »
Dinner last night was another fabulous recipe from my Veganomicon book (new edition). Miso Mushroom Kale Udon Noodles. I swapped Chinese egg noodles for the udon noodles and added half a block of chopped up tofu to make it more substantial. It was delicious.

The kids had Superstore's new Chickenless fingers (not WF, but still vegan), plain noodles and veggies. The chickenless fingers are surprisingly good. Even my non-vegetarian daughter and DH like them.

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2020, 10:37:25 AM »
Ya'll are AWESOME! Keep up the good work in minimizing the animal products!

Tried this curry ramen and it was easy to make and pretty good for changing up my breakfast, but admittedly I did forget to make the lentils so just threw in some tofu cubes.
https://www.veganricha.com/2017/05/curry-ramen-miso-lentils.html

@TrMama Yum! Another similar product is Dr. Praeger's chick'n tenders, those are also surprisingly good. We favor the BBQ version.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2020, 09:08:17 PM »
Thanks for the input, everyone!

Meal planning normally involves looking at my master shopping, adding in what extra ingredients I need for the recipes of the week, then going through my pantry to cross off anything I already have. It takes extra long now because I now look up new recipes since I'm beefing up my sides and veggies. For example, last week I made a corn soup and had to google a few recipes before finding a suitable one (I had 5 or 6 new recipes like that, mostly sides). I'm very slow with both meal planning and cooking and have no idea what people are talking about when they say they whip up dinner in less than 30 minutes! So jealous!

I decided that for this season of my life, I'm going to buy things like canned beans, broth and hummus rather than prepare them myself. I have limited time to dedicate to food preparation every week and even spending an extra 30 minutes means that I have to cut corners in other areas of my life. I can do a main dish + easy side 5 days a week, one day of breakfast-food prep and one day of veggie prep (soups, salads, pan of roasted veggies etc).

I also looked on the USDA website and realized that for a family of four, we could probably stand to up our food budget a bit. I spent $150 per week ($125 if I did freezer meals) buying mostly organic for my husband and I when it was just the two of us. Now that we've got more mouths to feed, I think $170 is more reasonable for the quality of food we buy and the size of our family. We moved from "thrifty" to "low cost" according to the USDA, but that's ok. We're also moving from a 1-bedroom apartment to a 2 bedroom one and getting a second car with 4 doors. It's time to make some lifestyle adjustments.

I finished my breakfast menu and am moving on to lunch.
My categories are:
-bread/tortillas (ie pizza, wraps, sandwiches)
-grain bowls
-starchy veggies (ie stuffed acorn squash, twice baked sweet potatoes)
-pasta

I didn't like the breakfast quinoa recipe I tried last week (though I like quinoa in general). I used tri-color quinoa, so maybe that's why. I also might have been because it was sweet. What kind of quinoa do those of you who like breakfast quinoa use?

This week I'm making this soup: https://downshiftology.com/recipes/beet-soup/
I'm enjoying eating veggies in the form of soup! We'll see how it turns out.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2020, 09:21:16 PM »
Well congrats on the progress made and your perseverance in the face of some challenges!  It sounds like you already expect meal planning to start taking a shorter time in the future once you get the ball rolling more so to speak...but I am surprised that that takes two hours!  What does "meal planning" entail? 

I'm not sure it's the same thing I'm thinking of because for us, it takes about 10-12 minutes about 2x per week (because of limitations on how much we can carry, we generally go twice per week).  Each person is responsible for piping up about what's needed for their own breakfasts, lunch and snacks (which we do separately and are pretty standard), then we plan a special Sunday breakfast and all dinners together.  Almost 100% of the time, dinners are a main dish and a veggie dish (even though almost all main dishes are vegetarian - it's just a volume/variety question).  A lot of times, we just plan the main dish and then write down something like "4x veg" on the grocery list and the shopper (we trade off) is responsible for selecting 4 nights worth based on what's looking good at the store.  Is there more to your meal planning than this? (Curious partly to see if I'm missing out on something I should be doing differently....although as you implied, adding more time to meal planning is not exactly desirable).

I think it's partly due to following specific recipes rather than having more of a categorical approach. For example, instead of 4x veg, it was 4 recipes with a long list of ingredients: spring rolls, tomato soup, chopped salad, and street corn.  I'll have to find the balance between adding more variety than I had in the past and making it more streamlined. I don't think you're missing out on anything!!

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2020, 11:17:39 AM »
@Luz I think once you start figuring out things you like to make, it'll get easier with less planning, since you'll already know what works for your household. I like red quinoa as my breakfast quinoa, it seems to be more firm, but not sure if that's just my imagination.

Yesterday we made tacos using cauliflower/mushrooms/walnuts, habanero salsa, hatch chili, and homemade cashew-based 'sour cream.' It was good, but next time we're going to try using green lentils instead of one of those ingredients. Also, I recently learned that lentils are really low-water use crops, so that's pretty awesome.

https://matrix.berkeley.edu/research/lentils-rescue
Anyone want to try growing lentils at home? I'm tempted. :P They look like sugar snap peas, which in my experience are very quick and easy to grow.
https://homeguides.sfgate.com/plant-lentils-21820.html

This was the recipe:
https://www.brandnewvegan.com/recipes/mexican-food/amazing-cauliflower-tacos
^I recommend reducing the soy sauce/salt, it was a bit salty for my taste, and that's coming from a salt-loving fiend... Also I recommend chopping by hand instead of pulsing in a food processor because the ingredients can get too small too quickly.

Lentil filling inspiration for next time. Lentils also cook in 15 minutes or so, which is great. I found the baking procedure as in the above recipe kind of unnecessarily long...
https://veganhuggs.com/lentil-mushroom-tacos-w-mango-salsa/

Cashew-based sour cream recipe (You can also use tofu, which is probably better because it honestly still tastes like cashews, though still delicious): https://cookieandkate.com/vegan-sour-cream-recipe/

We also had sweet potato, potato, onion, and black bean burritos for breakfast with the habanero salsa, sour cream, and some bell peppers and lettuce. So inexpensive and good. Also have been conscientious of oil use so we didn't use any oil in these recipes. When sauteeing the onions and black beans together, we just used water. I kept the bell peppers raw because they dramatically lose their Vitamin C value when cooked.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2020, 02:44:43 PM »
This was delicious - my son loved it so much he ate two sandwiches:

https://simple-veganista.com/cranberry-walnut-chickpea-salad-sandwic

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2020, 02:50:03 PM »
This was delicious - my son loved it so much he ate two sandwiches:

https://simple-veganista.com/cranberry-walnut-chickpea-salad-sandwic
That looks amazing!

Miss Stachio

• Stubble
« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2020, 10:32:48 AM »
Meal prep this week (which happened on Saturday)
- double recipe of mushroom bibimbap (https://www.liveeatlearn.com/kimchi-bibimbap/). Since it is mostly a cooked rice salad and the sauce is the key part, I use whatever veggies I have on hand. Mine had mushrooms, sweet potatoes, sauteed collards, carrots, bean sprouts, and onions.
- large pot of Thai red veggie curry using chickpeas for protein

I also remembered reading about how restaurants save veggie scraps from food prep for stock so I put the peels (onions, garlic, sweet potato), ends (carrots, cabbage), and stems (collards, mushrooms) from my meal prep into a pot with some water and cooked it with the thermal cooker. The veggie broth came out great - very flavorful and easy. The boiled veggies then went into the compost.

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2020, 05:06:42 PM »
I keep a gallon ziploc in the freezer, and put any peels or trimming in it.  I'll just throw new ones in on the already frozen ones.  If vegetables start to get old or turn, I'll throw them in too.  When it's getting full, I dump it in my crockpot, fill with water, and cook on low overnight.  If I'm freezing the broth, I take the lid off the crockpot and let it reduce for 4 hours or more.  Fennel bits make especially good broth.

Miss Stachio

• Stubble
« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2020, 05:39:24 PM »
Freezing collected scraps is a great idea for those not doing one day of giant meal prep. Fennel broth sounds tasty. I love braised fennel so can imagine fennel broth would be similar. Speaking of braised fennel, maybe I should make some this week.

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2020, 04:18:11 PM »
My husband's coworker recently told us he was inspired by us to incorporate more plant-based meals and cut down on his meat consumption, which was great to hear, and he'd been enjoying one of Isa Chandra Moskowitz's cookbooks. Prior to this, he had been sort of staunchly against plant based so it's awesome to hear when people become optimistic about it on their own. :)

I had my sister try vegan chili and she immediately had major gas and couldn't finish a two-cup bowl of it. I forgot that this was a problem for people who are just starting out plant-based or just haven't had a lot of legumes in their diet, or a lot of fiber in general. My husband and I used to have this problem when we started out, so just wanted to point this out to anyone who may be thinking of trying plant-based foods. Rest assured that the discomfort should lessen within a couple weeks time frame, after regularly, slowly ramping up the legumes/cruciferous vegetables intake so that the necessary microbiome will proliferate, helping your body to adjust and feel more comfortable when you do consume them. :) I hardly get gassy anymore from legumes. Take care of your microbiome! Buy dry legumes and soak them beforehand at least 6 hours, not just to reduce the overall cook time but to reduce the oligosaccharides and phytic acid (which is actually still beneficial in other ways) that can contribute to the bloating. I like to soak them for 48 hours personally, swapping out the water at least once. However, I do not soak lentils and feel like I fare fine just simmering them for the normal 15-20 minutes.

I have been logging my daily meals into Cronometer (if you don't know what this is, I highly recommend it – it's a food tracking app that is more useful than most because in addition to giving you data on your macronutrients, you'll also get information of how much of other micronutrients you still need to get in the day; Daily Dozen is another good checklist type of app to check out) this week and have been 'killing it' in getting all the nutrients. Daily protein intake generally ranges between 50 and 77 grams (without protein shakes, just whole foods!). And they say plant-based eaters are deficient in a lot of things. :) I've been averaging 1600 calories this week. For the B12, I supplement and/or use nutritional yeast and may occasionally use fortified plant-based milk, though lately I haven't been using plant-based milk at all and have been opting for tea instead. I also take one 10,000 IU of Vitamin D due to last year's lab tests showing they are low. I have not needed to supplement for other nutrients. This week, since the sun has been out I have been trying to purposefully expose my limbs without sunscreen for a limited time to help manufacture some naturally. Still using a hat and sunscreen for the face, though. ;)

A typical day this week has included:
-  2-3 medjool dates (for the deliciousness factor; also good for B vitamins, magnesium, and potassium. I recommended these to my sister who is trying to increase her fiber intake because 2 of them = about 14% of the RDI of fiber)
- 1/4 cup (30 grams) walnuts (for the omega 3/healthy fat) + 1 brazil nut (for the selenium)
- raw leafy green salad (usually massaged lacinato kale with butter leaf lettuce) with sliced red onions and at least 1/2 chickpeas and 2-3 tablespoons of hemp hearts (omega 3/healthy fat + protein, magnesium, iron, zinc)
- vegan chili with different kinds of beans and a bit of quinoa and farro. A new staple.
- chickpea 'curry' with coconut milk and 100-200 grams of spinach, and brown rice.
- tacos, generally with lentils
- stir fry with veggies and rice (like brown rice with firm tofu cubes, green beans, etc.)
- miso using a mix of white and red miso paste, plus tofu and wakame.
- 'clear' vegetable soup using vegetables and mushroom + rice
- plantains (great source of magnesium among other things)

My biggest problem though is salt reduction. :/ It's just so hard. I am trying to be more conscientious lately of oil usage so we have stopped using it so far. For salad dressing, I skipped the oil and just used a lot of lemon juice to compensate and used whole olives and nuts for the 'healthy fats' part, and it still tasted great. I know some people make salad dressing with nuts to get the healthy fat part, so I might try that, but I generally do not like creamy salad dressings or creamy anything. We found brussel sprouts for cheap yesterday and we usually like roasting, but I think I will try steaming them to avoid oil use and seasoning them in lemon juice, herbs, and spices. My only issue is that I've been trying out roasted plantains and they come out dry, so I'm really tempted to brush oil on them or something, but I'll continue to experiment with them and see how they turn out. Maybe try steaming them or something, too. Plantains are really good if you haven't tried them yet. They have an essence of raspberry to them. The blacker the peel, the sweeter. If you do try them, note that unripe plantains are starchy, much like potatoes, or unripe persimmons, though not as unpleasant as an unripe persimmon.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 04:34:30 PM by imadandylion »

Miss Stachio

• Stubble
« Reply #89 on: February 19, 2020, 09:31:48 AM »
I saw plantains at the market this weekend and was curious to try them. Good to know to look for darker peels for sweeter ones. Are these mostly a dessert item or can they be used in lieu of potatoes for a savory dish? Happy to hear that nutritional yeast is a source of B12 - I've been eating quite a bit of it in the form of cashew nacho sauce.

Meals for this week:
- Ethiopian cabbage, potatoes, and carrots with daal
- BBQ tofu tacos with slaw
- spaghetti with mushroom veggie tomato sauce
- roasted sweet potatoes and chickpeas with spinach
- apple crisp

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #90 on: February 25, 2020, 01:06:24 PM »
Menu for this week:
Our whole food plant based meals:
-Savoury Cobbler (Beets/Carrots/Onions/Kale, sauteed, mixed with turmeric/cumin/garlic and a little broth; then baked in a casserole with whole grain\cornmeal sourdough biscuit mix on top) - it was very yummy. We did add cheese to the biscuits, it called for Jalapeno but I didn't want to make it too spicy for the kids.
-Sweet potato/spelt chili (recipe above - I precooked beans and spelt so it should be quick!)
-lentil/mushroom Sheppard pie (recipe above) - the kids didn't like this as much, I think we might make it 1/2 and 1/2 lentils to meat next time and see if I can wean them to 100% lentils.
- We did a homemade granola bars for breakfast - the 9x13 tray is actually going to feed us all for a week of breakfasts - they are filling!
Our egg dish this week:
Spelt, greens and grains with scrambled eggs (or sub tofu), served in wraps... or a fritata with greens and grains.. I haven't made up my mind yet.
Our meat dish this week:
Italian braised chicken thighs with green beans, tomatoes and olives. I will double the veggies next time and add some beans to lighten the meat to serving load.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: February 25, 2020, 01:41:50 PM »
My hubby is gone for the next 11 days so I plan on sticking to a simple plant-based diet while he is away. Made black-rice congee (but added cardamom so more like a rice-pudding) and ate that with blueberries.

Bought the biggest bok-choy so will steam that up for some light greens..and bought celery to make that awesome-looking cran/walnut/chickpea salad that was shared a while back :)

Miss Stachio

• Stubble
« Reply #92 on: February 26, 2020, 09:39:21 AM »
I made the chickpea celery cran walnut salad and it was indeed delicious. My friend who tried it kept asking if there was tuna in it. Nope, just chickpeas. Also meal planning for the week has really cut down on food waste. All my perishables are used up by the end of the week.

Menu for this week:
- Persian chickpea stew and quinoa (https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/persian-herb-and-chickpea-stew-with-rice/) - this was a winner
- Pinto beans (cooked with onion, garlic, and chili powder) and cornbread
- Veggie stir fry with marinated tempeh
- Steamed sweet potatoes for snacks and to supplement meals

Found another ramen place that had three different completely plant based ramens.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #93 on: February 26, 2020, 07:13:04 PM »
Two months in and we haven’t given up animal products (and don’t plan to fully because medically required gluten-free is enough restriction), but we haven’t bought beef or pork since the new year and have significantly upped our vegetarian/vegan meal intake. Husband and I have both lost weight and we’re sleeping better. When we do have fish or poultry, it’s more of an accent and not the main dish. This thread is a good source of inspiration.

I wanted curry with paneer for dinner tonight. Turns out that firm tofu, when pressed, cubed, tossed in a bit of oil, and roasted at 375°F for 30 min, makes a decent sub for paneer. This recipe is pretty solid: https://www.budgetbytes.com/curried-chickpeas-spinach/. I used only a 15-oz can of chickpeas and added the tofu and 1/3 cup of Greek yogurt at the end. It was fantastic over jasmine rice.

Miss Stachio

• Stubble
« Reply #94 on: February 28, 2020, 12:33:28 PM »
Will be trying out some new recipes for meal plan for next week:

- tumeric daal with greens
- buffalo tempeh tacos with cabbage apple slaw
- celery potato soup
- tofu dan dan noodles (https://omnivorescookbook.com/vegan-dan-dan-noodles/)

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #95 on: February 28, 2020, 01:40:14 PM »
Our households latest addition to our repertoire is vegan steamed dumplings. Surprisingly versatile and nice when you want a change. I like cabbage, mushrooms, onions and carrots in mine. I still need to try them with bamboo shoots in the filling. I may also do a spicy version sometime soon.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #96 on: March 02, 2020, 09:10:51 AM »
DH and I made two great indulgence recipes this weekend without dairy milk.  For our Sunday morning special breakfast, we made popovers with our flax milk - perfect, no difference at all! 

We also made these mochi muffins, which are sooooo good, and replaced the evaporated milk with just more coconut milk: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1019249-brown-butter-mochi.  I think the evaporated milk is there so as to not overdo the coconut flavor?  But I wasn't bothered, it was still delicious.  Honestly, I'm trying to stop myself from eating one of them right now.  I had two yesterday and am only allowing myself one today.

Of course the continuing challenge here is the butter (and in the popovers, plus eggs).  I'm really pleased at the pretty much full replacement of milk we've achieved, though.

Miss Stachio

• Stubble
« Reply #97 on: March 05, 2020, 08:42:23 AM »
That mochi recipe looks great - may have to try it this weekend. I've used ground flax as an egg substitute but I'm not familiar with flax for milk. How do you make flax milk?

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #98 on: March 05, 2020, 09:09:59 AM »
That mochi recipe looks great - may have to try it this weekend. I've used ground flax as an egg substitute but I'm not familiar with flax for milk. How do you make flax milk?

oh I took the easy way out and just bought it.  My local Safeway has so many sales on the "alternative milks" that there's always one cheaper than the dairy milk! It's been a nice way to try various kinds out.

They all end up tasting pretty similar to me, but it seems like flax and oat are the most environmentally friendly of them all (soy, almond, cashew, coconut, rice, etc.) so I've been doing a lot of those two lately.  After our experiment with flax milk in the popovers I wouldn't hesitate to try any of the plant-based milks as a replacement in the recipe.

I'm sure there is a way to make flax milk at home, but also get the feeling it'd be possibly more labor intensive than making something like oat or cashew?

Miss Stachio

• Stubble
« Reply #99 on: March 06, 2020, 03:01:57 PM »
The vegan dan dan noodles turned out sooo good. I froze the tofu before using it in the recipe which turns it into a spongy texture that soaks up the sauce. Yum.

I have a powerful blender so I don't bother with straining the nut milks I make. I tried making oat milk a couple weeks ago and the texture turned gooey after a day. The texture didn't bother me but it also wasn't very milk-like.