Author Topic: Eat ALL the food in your house  (Read 155197 times)

ashley

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Eat ALL the food in your house
« Reply #150 on: January 26, 2014, 03:03:56 PM »
Today I made a large batch of lentil-broccoli calzones for the freezer, and now I'm hunting around for other things in my pantry I could stuff into calzones! They really are a great way to stretch ingredients.

I think I'm done shopping for the month. January total: $58.72.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #151 on: January 26, 2014, 03:21:10 PM »
Ashley, thats amazing :)
Massive FAIL!
. Never mind Gray Matter. Just keep going..the food is now in your house and needs to be eaten.

Since starting on 17/1 I spent $61, which is a massive reduction from our usual $200/week. I will keep going with this challenge until  all the food close to use by, best before date is gone.  Getting creative: last night I stretched leftover lamb shoulder into a mild curry, with tomato bake and rice. The night before was tuna bake.  No more dusty cans of tuna! Now the pantry is a bit clearer, I 've found a few more items that need using up.

Milk is nearly out, so will need one more little shop in Jan, but will keep it to a minimum. I will pick up the ingredients to make refrigerator pickled cucumbers.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #152 on: January 26, 2014, 06:04:44 PM »

Keeping out of the grocery was the most important. Using up what we had was also important.

oldtoyota - I agree with you. While it seemed like I was doing a lot of damage with the larger trips, I think we saved money compared to the smaller trips. Learning to improvise is difficult and make do without.

We went over my $400 grocery/toiletries/restaurant budget this month (est $470), but it was mainly due to finding some organic chicken 50% off on clearance (& buying everything in stock), needing some household items (used coupons and sales for it all - e.g. won't be buying garbage bags for a year, will be making my own detergent and hand soap with basic ingredients purchased - should last throughout 2014), and our anniversary celebration aftermath ($25 or so in dining out). I can totally see the improvement in my January budget.

You did pretty well though!

I should note we have three people and a cat. Also, we buy mostly food at Trader Joe's. We don't buy many cleaning supplies. Gradually, I've moved to using cloth napkins/dish rags/dusters to reduce paper consumption and have made my own cleaning solution with water/vinegar for a long time.

Since you got such a good deal on chicken, maybe you can try to lower your Feb bill by that amount!

Splendid

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #153 on: January 27, 2014, 02:44:37 PM »
They're expecting snow in eastern NC tomorrow and Wed, and everyone is hunkering down and expecting stores/schools/work to be closed (we almost never get snow. Everything literally screeches to a halt when there is ANY amount of snow sticking to the ground.). This coincides with my weekly shopping, but I don't choose to brave the stores with the hordes that will be descending upon the hapless cashiers and clearing the shelves of anything that looks potentially useful. So I'll make do with what I have already in the house, which is actually a lot of food, and see how long I can keep this going! For whatever reason, I find it easier to cook at home/be creative with meals when my fridge looks empty so hopefully this will go well.

Long story short, I'm in!

Splendid

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #154 on: January 28, 2014, 06:25:46 AM »
Last night for dinner I made sausage balls (unfortunate name, but delicious!). I also made some granola to eat with the greek yogurt and frozen fruit I was attempting to make smoothies out of. I really don't like smoothies, though I like the idea of them. So anyway, there will be parfaits for breakfast now.

Completely used up: leftover sausage, cheese, oatmeal

Made a dent in: Bisquick mix, shredded coconut, walnuts

SweetLife

• Bristles
« Reply #155 on: January 28, 2014, 08:02:53 AM »
As my husband says ... put enough hot sauce in it will save anything lol...
I have been thinking of doing the same thing for the last little while ... and now that we are planning such an extensive trip I will need to do it ... so I am on board ... let's see ... today will be soup for sure ... -21 degrees ...

Oh and THANK YOU mustashians ... because of one of these forums (this morning) when my heat stopped working (and rather than call a technician) I opened my furnace, read the directions and turned off the gas, turned it on again AND my heat came back on !!!! As a first time home owner this was terribly satisfying!!!! It may have taken me till 43 years old but I WILL start doing more of these things on my own :)

I LOVE THIS SITE!!!

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #156 on: January 28, 2014, 01:21:08 PM »

You did pretty well though!

I should note we have three people and a cat. Also, we buy mostly food at Trader Joe's. We don't buy many cleaning supplies. Gradually, I've moved to using cloth napkins/dish rags/dusters to reduce paper consumption and have made my own cleaning solution with water/vinegar for a long time.

Since you got such a good deal on chicken, maybe you can try to lower your Feb bill by that amount!
[/quote]

Hey, OT! Thanks. I am definitely focusing on keeping Feb pretty low, which should be very doable. I am learning more and more everyday.

And yes, we do cloth napkins, cleaning towels, and then dish towels. We maybe buy 2 rolls paper towels per year - have to hide them from DH though since they are for limited use things.

Update for the day: Made chicken stew last night. Cleared out the peas, more of my frozen shredded chicken, and pearl onions. Also learned how to make the fluffiest biscuits - they were so good! Have a few different dishes tonight from leftovers over the last few days - will probably make it a leftover and baked potato kind of night to clear out the fridge.

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #157 on: January 29, 2014, 05:21:29 AM »
Alright everyone...just a few more days until the end of the month. Anyone else trying to stay out of the grocery store?

Ended up making BBQ chicken tacos last night with leftover corn tortillas, avocado, red onion, corn from the freezer. Added sirracha to it - it was amazing!

Tonight is "Breakfast for Dinner".....making buttermilk pancakes, eggs, and remaining bacon from the freezer. Maybe I will get fancy and make a crustless quiche - I need to use up some spinach and red onion.

Going to freeze buttermilk in ice cube trays that is not used and any leftover pancakes. It expires this Friday otherwise.

prudence

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #158 on: January 29, 2014, 08:05:49 AM »
Im trying to stay out of the grocery store until Feb.. My freezer is getting quite bare.. I had a turkey kielbasa n my freezer for a very long time, so this week I sauteed it up with a can of beans, an onion, some diced tomatoes, an odd leftover veg or two from my fridge and some herbs. Served over rice, it was really good. I love it when that happens. :)

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #159 on: January 30, 2014, 06:47:34 AM »
prudence - that sounds like a great dinner. It's great when unexpected, or low expectation items, come together so nicely!

Update for the day: breakfast for dinner last night was ok. No more freezer bacon, no more eggs, no more butter.

Today is using up one of my freezer bags of spaghetti sauce that I made from fresh CSA tomatoes over the summer (my goal is to use 2 per month until gone). Leaning towards slow cooker pasta e fagioli using dried navy beans, the freezer spaghetti sauce, spinach, and elbow macaroni. May make butterless brownies on the side to add some pep to the dinner since it is a meatless night. ;0)

Tomorrow is the 31st! Need to buy some more whole milk for toddler today as she is completely out as of this morning, but should close the month at 459 (my earlier estimates of 470 were off because of some wrong categorization). So excited as I have quite a bit of staples, plus a couple freezer meals, going into February.  So my goal of 700-750 between Jan/Feb combined is looking doable.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #160 on: January 30, 2014, 06:04:34 PM »
Well I did have to make 1 more trip and spent $82. This included a couple things that we were about to run out of like a big tin of olive oil...usually $28, down to $14. Still a much better outcome for Jan than usual and quite some of the stuff I set out to use up is going down. Not quite the badass spirit of the challenge, but its working for me.

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #161 on: January 31, 2014, 05:39:35 AM »

Today is using up one of my freezer bags of spaghetti sauce that I made from fresh CSA tomatoes over the summer (my goal is to use 2 per month until gone). Leaning towards slow cooker pasta e fagioli using dried navy beans, the freezer spaghetti sauce, spinach, and elbow macaroni. May make butterless brownies on the side to add some pep to the dinner since it is a meatless night. ;0)

Dinner last night was awesome! Toddler ate it like crazy. Nothing makes me happier than seeing her than seeing her stuff a huge piece of spinach into her mouth (& actually swallow it instead of spitting it out)! Plus, I made enough navy beans from scratch to throw into the freezer for something quick on hand over the next couple weeks. The brownies, which ended up being vegan because I realized I didn't have egg or butter, were terrible, in my opinion. Family liked them, but I won't be making that recipe again.

Tonight is BBQ chicken pizza. I made a partial whole wheat crust last week that went over well, so will likely do that again tonight. Still using my freezer shredded chicken - that is the best thing ever for fast meals. Have leftover BBQ sauce that I made last week, leftover pepper jack and cheddar cheeses, and some red onion. Should be good!

Happy Friday and congrats to everyone that made a dent in the January food budget, no matter the size!

Splendid

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #162 on: January 31, 2014, 09:13:04 AM »
Well, I've definitely come to realize how completely spoiled I am about food. I've still got a lot of food in the freezer/fridge, but all I can think about it what I don't have. Still, I'm determined to make it through the rest of January without grocery shopping. Today is my last hurrah for this round. I've got salmon with feta and spinach planned for lunch for my brother and his friend. And then I think we're going to kill the split pea soup in the freezer, possibly some leftover freezer spaghetti, and sweet potatoes for dinner. I'll chop up the last of the apples as snacks, plus we still have greek yogurt/granola/blueberries. See? Still plenty of food. I don't know what my problem is.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #163 on: January 31, 2014, 10:57:59 AM »
Looking forward to going shopping tomorrow, but I plan to make a concerted effort tonight to note the staples that I have, and design my purchasing around making good use of the stuff I already have on hand.  Will mostly be buying protein and veggies.  Goal = <$60.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #164 on: January 31, 2014, 06:20:24 PM »
Well, I've definitely come to realize how completely spoiled I am about food. I've still got a lot of food in the freezer/fridge, but all I can think about it what I don't have.
Still plenty of food. I don't know what my problem is.

Yes, this is what I am learning. 
To some extent we are reducing the amount of stockpiled food, so we are just eating what is already purchased, so I'm not sure how much money we are "saving". I am concentrating on items that might start to spoil soon and be in danger of being thrown out.
But there's quite a few luxuries like fresh blueberries that I've just completely nuked: after all there are frozen berries in the freezer (which still haven't been touched despite the absence of fresh ones). And to be honest no-one has missed them.

O and the cucumbers are going nuts again. Just got a tip from a vege growing neighbour. Pick them when they are small. Overall less volume to deal with.  Pickled some, worked a treat.

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #165 on: February 01, 2014, 05:17:26 AM »
Well, I've definitely come to realize how completely spoiled I am about food. I've still got a lot of food in the freezer/fridge, but all I can think about it what I don't have.
Still plenty of food. I don't know what my problem is.

I would say that I have the opposite problem....I have been brainstorming a little every day on what is left in my pantry/freezer/pantry and I almost feel overwhelmed with how much I can make. We are out of all the things that I would consider staples...like butter, eggs, long hair pasta, most vegetables now, nearly all cheese....but I keep finding substitute recipes that allow me to still make my recipes without feeling deprived. I'm learning that sometimes by buying things that I "think" I need, I probably use them more than I should.

BBQ chicken pizza was just ok last night. Nothing special, but at least we have leftovers for lunch today. Tonight is going to be Ginger Glazed Mahi Mahi from Allrecipes (mahi in freezer). Was hoping to use some macadamia nuts up, because who knows how long those have been in the cupboard?!? Maybe macadamia rice pilaf on the side with a spinach navel orange red onion salad.

Still trying to avoid the store for a few more days. My trap sometimes is "woo hoo, it's a new month, there's a new budget" and then I spend a huge chunk by the 3rd of the month. Not this month....

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #166 on: February 01, 2014, 07:22:29 PM »
Thats great! My cooking creativity always comes in waves, think I'm a bit worn out creating :)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #167 on: February 02, 2014, 09:55:25 PM »
Used leftover chicken and winter squash for lunches for the next two days.  I frequently make chicken salad with leftovers for lunches, but incorporating the winter squash was a new twist.  Chopped chicken and squash with green onions, celery, curry powder and raisins.  Also, I'd usually make this with plain yogurt, but had sour cream, so used that, with some vinegar to bring up the acidity.  Worked great!

Dinner tonight incorporated one of the many bags of cauliflower rice in the freezer.

Spent about $88 on groceries this weekend, and shouldn't need to shop until I return from FL in the middle of the month.  Shooting for a sub-$300 grocery bill, though I'm cheating a little since my restaurant budget will be upped a bit for the week I'm out of town.

ace1224

• Bristles
« Reply #168 on: February 03, 2014, 06:00:04 AM »
i'm going to try this again since it worked so great for me the first time.  after i ran out i went to Sams and bought about 300 dollars worth of stuff.  since i'm trying to not spend anything in feb in the other challenge i'm going to stay out of the grocery store for everything except fresh produce.  there should be nothing else i need. 
side note, we eat pretty damn boring.  maybe i should try to liven it up a bit.  its like the same 5 meals over and over, no wonder i mistakenly buy weird stuff sometimes.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #169 on: February 03, 2014, 08:54:01 PM »
I'm not attempting to run down our food supply entirely, but I am making an effort to use up the weird ingredients we wouldn't otherwise use within the next little while, and to reduce our food hoard.

So far I'm doing pretty well, and it's also helping me to simplify what we buy and eat as I have a better idea of what goes down well and what will sit in the cupboard forever.

I did have to give a few containers of food away to my Dad as I could no longer eat them (after discovering a food intolerance), but he didn't seem to mind :-)

One of my tactics is to stick on the pantry door a little list of the 'weird' ingredients in our pantry and what we could make with them. e.g. "Custard powder - melting moments". This list acts as a prompt when planning meals.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #170 on: February 03, 2014, 09:21:43 PM »
One of my tactics is to stick on the pantry door a little list of the 'weird' ingredients in our pantry and what we could make with them. e.g. "Custard powder - melting moments". This list acts as a prompt when planning meals.

This is an awesome idea, mine will more resemble a book then a list - but I am definitely going to try it!

I have been trying to substitute my regular boring meals with as much homemade/from the pantry ingredients as possible. Take pasta tonight. Scratch made tomato sauce with lentils and some ground mystery meat I had frozen and forgot to label, with a bunch of spices and homemade noodles with more herbs and spices and a fancy sample size bottles of olive oil we were gifted. I don't know if I am thrilled or saddened by finally using up the last bit of sage that was in my freezer :)

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #171 on: February 04, 2014, 01:21:01 AM »
Well I've used up pasta, plain flour, sugar, onions, all our potatoes, several packets of cake/brownie mix, old Mars bars, chocolate buttons for cooking, all the precooked freezer meals, rice bubbles, cannelloni beans, chickpeas, cracked wheat, various dried herbs, old cheese and probably a few other things. Teenagers anxiously circling and asking when I'm shopping again looking :(. 

So I did a regular shop this week, back to $200, to stock up essentials we'd run out of. ! However I'm going to keep trying to use up the near expiry food still remaining. That would include the packets of coconut flour and shredded coconut, that seem to replenish themselves...

All in all we saved $200 in January, which was good since I didn't start til half way through.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #172 on: February 04, 2014, 08:31:14 AM »
Happy, the teenagers might like muffins made with the coconut flour.  They are mostly egg.  I don't really have recipe, but they can be pumpkin, applesauce or banana-based (or a combo).  So something like 4-5 eggs, a can of pumpkin, ample amount of pie spice and a pinch of salt plus 1/2 tsp baking soda and some sweetener of your choice, then enough coconut flour to make a batter.  I like adding some nuts, but you might experiment with the coconut flakes, too.  I pour this into a nonstick scone pan and bake until no longer jiggly in the middle and eat them for breakfast with some butter. 

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #173 on: February 04, 2014, 08:40:10 AM »
Not so weird, but....I have a LOT of chocolate, it turns out to use up.  I know, I know, it should be easy, just skip any other ingredient.  Anyone have any main meal receipes that use chocolate?  I'm trying to stay away from dessert receipes (have plenty of those).  Have lots of baking disks, chips, and a mice issue in the new house (everything had to be unpacked directly into the fridge).

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #174 on: February 04, 2014, 09:08:47 AM »
The only main dish I can think of off the top of my head that uses chocolate is a Mexican Mole. Wish I could provide a recipe, I'm still searching and experimenting to find one I am happy with. Also uses lots of different kinds of dried peppers that you might have a hard time using the extras.

You could make some of those chocolate baked oatmeal recipes that are floating around the net if you want to not feel quite so bad about chocolate for breakfast.

I also make bread pudding with whatever scraps of bread and dairy I happen to have around, and that usually includes some chopped up chocolate - but can be made fairly healthy.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #175 on: February 04, 2014, 09:17:19 AM »
love the ideas. I intentionally wont buy stuff untill the supplies is wiped out so we dont toss stuff. For example if the fridge has to much meat i just tell my wife i am not buying anymore till its all gone, same with can goods or??? this way no stuff gets tossed because of freezer burn or because you cant see it.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #176 on: February 04, 2014, 04:52:07 PM »
Happy, the teenagers might like muffins made with the coconut flour.
Thats a thought, haven't tried muffins with the stuff. I'll see if I can find a recipe. Part of the problem is that they have so far rejected all my coconut gourmet delights, leaving me to deal with it solo.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #177 on: February 04, 2014, 05:33:48 PM »
Hey Happy, maybe the kids would like these pancakes?

Adapted from the recipe here:http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2012/04/light-and-fluffy-coconut-flour-pancakes-low-carb-and-gluten-free.html

Ingredients

1/2 cup coconut flour (it was way too runny after a test so I used 3 x 1/8th cup more coconut flour)
    3 tbsp granulated erythritol (I used coconut sap)
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    6 large eggs, lightly beaten
    1/4 cup butter, melted (I used 1/2 butter, 1/2 coconut oil)
    1 cup almond milk (I used coconut milk)
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    Additional butter or oil for the pan

We toasted some ribbon cut unsweetened coconut for a topping and served with Coconut Syrup that was gifted to us.

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 200F.
    In a large bowl, whisk together coconut flour, erythritol, baking powder, and salt.
 In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, melted butter, almond milk and vanilla extract. Add the egg mixture to the coconut flour mixture and stir well to combine.

Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and brush with vegetable oil or melted butter. Scoop two heaping tablespoons of batter onto skillet and spread into a 3 to 4 inch circle. Repeat until you can't fit any more pancakes into the skillet (you should be able to get 3 or 4 in).

Cook until bottom is golden brown and top is set around the edges. Flip carefully and continue to cook until second side is golden brown. Remove from pan and keep warm on plate or baking sheet in oven, while repeating with remaining batter.

Conclusion: Pretty Darn Tasty. They didn't rise up like traditional pancakes, I'm guessing because there was no gluten developed to capture the air bubbles...but the recipe is  a keeper. DH said he probably wouldn't want them all that often because they are super rich, but a great idea if you want to do something a little different.

Splendid

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #178 on: February 04, 2014, 06:12:39 PM »
Hey CommonCents, I used to make chocolate chipotle chili that I really liked. I got the recipe from here http://www.ourbestbites.com/2008/10/chipotle-chocolate-chili/. It's especially good in this winter weather!

EDIT: I should mention that it seems like a ridiculous amount of ingredients for chili. But it doesn't take too long (chopping up the chocolate always took the longest for me). I made it frequently until my family staged a mutiny and said they were tired of me always serving it. :)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 06:14:55 PM by Splendid »

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #179 on: February 04, 2014, 10:12:20 PM »
I thought I ate away most of my options before leaving for vacation a few weeks ago, but I've been back since Saturday night and *still* haven't gone grocery shopping. I'm debating whether I will today after work (probably not!).

But what I really wanted to post about is the clash I felt when I visited family between my eat-everything-I-have-before-buying-more mindset many of you share and the reality that they have way more food than the entire family could even eat in a month. It made me feel guilty about going out to eat, which they do far more often than eat at home, explaining why there's so much food going uneaten. Going out to eat meant leftovers (except when my boyfriend and I shared meals, much to the shock of my family!), which further delayed our ability to help them by eating away the mountain of 2+ year expired frozen dinners. We made a significant dent on the expired frozen dinner front, but barely touched the pantry and refrigerator. For the record, they have two fridges and three freezers STUFFED with food for 2-3 people (my aunt lives there, but isn't there often and doesn't really eat there).

So I guess what I really want to say is that I admire the posters in this forum and I'm so glad to have found like-minded consumers. Keep on eatin' on!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #180 on: February 05, 2014, 12:01:51 AM »
But what I really wanted to post about is the clash I felt when I visited family between my eat-everything-I-have-before-buying-more mindset many of you share and the reality that they have way more food than the entire family could even eat in a month. It made me feel guilty about going out to eat, which they do far more often than eat at home, explaining why there's so much food going uneaten. Going out to eat meant leftovers (except when my boyfriend and I shared meals, much to the shock of my family!), which further delayed our ability to help them by eating away the mountain of 2+ year expired frozen dinners. We made a significant dent on the expired frozen dinner front, but barely touched the pantry and refrigerator. For the record, they have two fridges and three freezers STUFFED with food for 2-3 people (my aunt lives there, but isn't there often and doesn't really eat there).

Hoarding is terrifying :-/ even more terrifying when it leads to piles of expired food being stored forever. So wasteful!

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #181 on: February 05, 2014, 05:29:28 AM »
Not so weird, but....I have a LOT of chocolate, it turns out to use up.  I know, I know, it should be easy,
Do you have teenagers? Just turn them loose. Chocolate to use up...no problem.

Hey Happy, maybe the kids would like these pancakes?
Thanks Swick, that recipe looks good. Did coconut pikelets ages ago, but i'll have another shot : it looks like a good recipe.

Hoarding is terrifying :-/ even more terrifying when it leads to piles of expired food being stored forever. So wasteful!
Yup  hoarding is scary.  My parents, born in the 1920s,  grew up in the great depression in the 1930s.  Limited food, shoes etc. Then went through WWII with various food shortages and rationing.  It wasn't until the '60s that food and material goods flowed relatively freely.  My mother to this day seems to have a deep seated fear about not having enough food, both day to day but also when people visit.  I always cut them a bit of slack "they're depression kids".  But more and more I see that this is just a sign of our times. Or our times, reinforce their inbuilt fears. They're not full on hoarders, but they definitely have excess.  I think we've all got out of touch with how little (much) we really need.

Praise be to God the cukes have slowed. Only 3 smallish ones  picked today. About 6 jars of fridge pickles currently. DD took a huge bowl of fresh cukes to church fellowship to give away and they all went. ("all the girls like cucumbers " WTH????). She's really invested in giving them away.."just don't make anymore cucumber soup mummy"....LOL.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #182 on: February 05, 2014, 10:21:23 AM »
Praise be to God the cukes have slowed. Only 3 smallish ones  picked today. About 6 jars of fridge pickles currently. DD took a huge bowl of fresh cukes to church fellowship to give away and they all went. ("all the girls like cucumbers " WTH????). She's really invested in giving them away.."just don't make anymore cucumber soup mummy"....LOL.

I would gladly take some of your sunny cukes! Between having to pay 3.00 CDN for one over waxed sad Long English and our -31 weather today, it sounds like a great problem to have :P

Mrs WW

• Stubble
« Reply #183 on: February 05, 2014, 02:59:40 PM »

I would gladly take some of your sunny cukes! Between having to pay 3.00 CDN for one over waxed sad Long English and our -31 weather today, it sounds like a great problem to have :P

If you knew what cuke (spelled kuk) means in Swedish slang you would be joining me for a giggle over the "over waxed sad long English"! I cannot get over that abbreviation...to me its just so terrible!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #184 on: February 05, 2014, 03:56:35 PM »

If you knew what cuke (spelled kuk) means in Swedish slang you would be joining me for a giggle over the "over waxed sad long English"! I cannot get over that abbreviation...to me its just so terrible!
...and this is why I love the forums, you lean something new everyday ! ;)

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #185 on: February 05, 2014, 03:57:36 PM »
I'll have to try that chili recipe. I have way more sweetened choc than unsweetened (only use unsweetened for a creme puff recipe), but we actually were already planning on chili soon to use up some ground meat. Is chipotle sauce hard to find?

No kids, just a husband who rumbles about losing weight every so often. His eyes don't "see" chocolate in bags fortunately, only in candy form though. I think I may make up some peanut butter cups and bring most into work.  That will only make a small dent in the pile though...

I finally finished unpacking all of the food from our move.  Its a bit horrifying how much we still have.  There are things we won't be buying for at least a year (or longer) like tea, or mustard.  I've stopped following deal sites to get bargains a while back to curb this.  We're not eating *just* our stocks, but I'm not buying any food other than fresh (ok and frozen pizza and drinks) for 3 months now.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #186 on: February 05, 2014, 11:21:18 PM »
I'm tossing some cheap furniture...
Anybody else in??!
Hell, no! I take pride in my well-stocked pantry. Not going to happen here, but I wish you luck.

I also wish you'd do something smarter than tossing furniture. Can't you at least put it on freecycle? IMHO, it's far worse to toss furniture than a few food items. Ideally, you'll do neither.

Hope the new job exceeds your expectations.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #187 on: February 06, 2014, 06:37:44 AM »
Is chipotle sauce hard to find?

I don't know of anything specifically as "chipotle sauce" but what you probably want is a can of chipotle peppers in adobo.  They're usually with the salsa and other Mexican products in any grocery store.  Each pepper goes a long way, so don't go dumping the whole can in a recipe or anything.  We love spice in my household, and I'd generally put about 3 peppers in a pot of chile.

I'm making progress on my stock, and it's SO nice having so much space in the pantry (we have those floor-too-ceiling, hopelessly deep cupboards).  We haven't been eating pasta of any kind, but I really need to start feeding the packs of rice noodles into our dishes, or just swallow my guilt and throw them out.  The chickens have been kind enough to help with the excess of beans, but I need to be more consistent on giving them some each day to get the stockpile down more appreciably.

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #188 on: February 06, 2014, 07:46:57 AM »
I made the chili last night and it turned out quite good. I actually couldn't taste the chocolate too much; I subbed random veggies for the bell pepper and squished them up when they'd cooked through.  I'll probably add more chili powder next time, and possibly more chocolate.  Thanks for that recipe!

Splendid

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #189 on: February 06, 2014, 02:27:34 PM »
Yeah, what horsepoor said about the canned chipotles. You just drain the sauce off them. You can freeze the peppers. Then if you make the recipe again, just throw one pepper in instead of the sauce. Same taste, no waste!

Tariskat, I'm glad you liked it! I was always a fan of that recipe. Can't remember how I ever found it though.

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #190 on: February 06, 2014, 06:23:27 PM »
Ah! I was sort of wondering what to do with the peppers.  I tossed one into the chili, but otherwise the rest are sitting in a tub naked.  BF put one on his dinner but if it doesn't look like he'll go through them quick I'll freeze 'em.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #191 on: February 06, 2014, 06:33:03 PM »
They actually last for ages in the can in the fridge.  Maybe that's kind of gross, but they never seem to mold, just get a little dried out if they're not submerged in the adobo.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #192 on: February 06, 2014, 06:41:29 PM »
They probably shouldn't be stored in the original can...at leas that's what my mom has always told me. You could put them in a jar and top with olive oil. Protects them from the air and gives you a nice flavored oil as well.

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #193 on: February 06, 2014, 06:45:13 PM »
Covered in olive oil is the best idea yet, I wouldn't mind having mildly spiced oil.  They aren't in the original can, I put them in an air-tight plastic container, and they still have some goo from the can on them, so I doubt they'll actually dry.

Tami1982

• Handlebar Stache
    • Disabled Girl on Fire
« Reply #194 on: February 07, 2014, 01:05:55 AM »
They actually last for ages in the can in the fridge.  Maybe that's kind of gross, but they never seem to mold, just get a little dried out if they're not submerged in the adobo.

I second this.  I put mine in a canning jar with a plastic screw top lid and eat off them for a year maybe?   Adobo features vinegar, salt and sugar, so I think of them as essentially pickled.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #195 on: February 07, 2014, 08:17:00 AM »
They probably shouldn't be stored in the original can...at leas that's what my mom has always told me. You could put them in a jar and top with olive oil. Protects them from the air and gives you a nice flavored oil as well.

The cans are lined, so they don't take on a metallic flavor.  The main downside is not having an airtight cap.  Sometimes I do transfer them to a little Rubbermaid container, and sometimes I'm too lazy.  Adobo is pure culinary gold, but the olive oil would be good too if you use up the adobo and still have peppers left.

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #196 on: February 08, 2014, 05:28:18 AM »
I put my chipotles in adobo into a freezer bag rolled up like a log per something I read from Budget Bytes or Rachael Ray. When I need a bit, I take it and use a microplane grater and shave off what I need. That one can will now last me months and months.

My update: I have not been as active on this thread. I've been feeling kind of down lately and did get some takeout. Why I let this bother me so much, I don't know. Between my bonus this month, extra money my employer puts into my 401k plus the 5% on my bonus, my husband gets a 3rd paycheck this month, we are putting away more than $28K into our taxable account and 401K's, which is 1 x our annual retirement expenses towards FI. Instead of focusing on that, I am dwelling on the $23 spent on take out and shakes (I have pregnant cravings for Sonic chocolate shakes for some reason!). I need to snap out of it and get back on track. I still have $175 out of $300 unspent for the month of February and a ton of food in the freezer due to making double batches last month. Anyone have any encouragement or a face punch for my idiocy?

Anyway, today, trying to get back on track and make bean burritos from some refried beans I made last month that are in the freezer. The beans are thawing in the fridge now. I did clean out the fridge last night before bed, freezing a split pea soup I made earlier in the week before it went bad. So I am getting on track...I just feel so stupid for focusing on the petty and not the bigger picture. Anyone else do this?

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #197 on: February 08, 2014, 12:11:58 PM »
I put my chipotles in adobo into a freezer bag rolled up like a log per something I read from Budget Bytes or Rachael Ray. When I need a bit, I take it and use a microplane grater and shave off what I need. That one can will now last me months and months.

My update: I have not been as active on this thread. I've been feeling kind of down lately and did get some takeout. Why I let this bother me so much, I don't know. Between my bonus this month, extra money my employer puts into my 401k plus the 5% on my bonus, my husband gets a 3rd paycheck this month, we are putting away more than $28K into our taxable account and 401K's, which is 1 x our annual retirement expenses towards FI. Instead of focusing on that, I am dwelling on the $23 spent on take out and shakes (I have pregnant cravings for Sonic chocolate shakes for some reason!). I need to snap out of it and get back on track. I still have $175 out of $300 unspent for the month of February and a ton of food in the freezer due to making double batches last month. Anyone have any encouragement or a face punch for my idiocy?

Anyway, today, trying to get back on track and make bean burritos from some refried beans I made last month that are in the freezer. The beans are thawing in the fridge now. I did clean out the fridge last night before bed, freezing a split pea soup I made earlier in the week before it went bad. So I am getting on track...I just feel so stupid for focusing on the petty and not the bigger picture. Anyone else do this?

I don't think anyone on the boards is brave enough to face punch a pregnant lady (congrats!) especially one who is doing so well. It is easy to to get trapped into focusing on the narrow small stuff that is immediately in front of you - especially when the big picture like goals of FI are so grand.

Between all the hormones, life changes and things happening right now, you can only do what you can do. Sometimes it helps to be able to view the bigger picture as a bunch of smaller steps as well. Then you can track and compare progress and allow your life to have some more balance.  It doesn't sound like it is worth the stress for you or your baby to beat yourself up over a bit of take out at this time in your life, especially given how well you are doing.

I have been plugging along. My last two dinners were pretty much all freezer/pantry meals. I made some curried potato/pea/fishcakes and was able to put a dent in the massive container of chutney I made a long time ago and is miraculously still good. Last night I made borscht and jalapeno cheddar beer bread.

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #198 on: February 10, 2014, 08:40:55 AM »
Thanks, swick, your comments really made me feel better about situation and help put things into perspective.

Food update from weekend: I had only planned on spending my remaining 175 for the month to keep me under 300, but that went out the window with the Costco living social deal over the weekend. However, I made a detailed list, calculating what exactly what we needed, planning what to buy, stocking up on things we needed anyway at Costco for the next 2-3 months. Even though we now have a good stockpile for the next couple months, my "all other" budget is tiny. Other than some produce and milk, our budget is pretty much nil and going to be doing a ton of freezer and pantry eating. So I am going to continue on working on my "all other" budget since I've got to make sure my annual total for the year is under $4800 (really hoping for less since Costco should be adding more money back into our budget). This weekend's Costco trip has really got me motivated as I continue to deepen my skills on refining this food budget to make sure I am maximizing savings from Costco vs. shopping at my local stores.

Food update for today: lunch will be salad to use up some items in the fridge + homemade chick peas from freezer, smoothie snack (healthier option compared to unhealthy/unnatural chocolate shakes I crave), leftover refried bean burrito for dinner with some kind of veg.

Have a good day everyone!

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #199 on: February 10, 2014, 09:13:22 AM »
Ok, I made the chili recipe over the weekend (but it was a bit of a fail in a way as I went off and bought the chili powder, cumin, and chiptotle chilis for it...  But I've been meaning to get cumin for a while, and chili powder is better than buying packets).  Husband really like the recipe, even though I cut the kick considerably.  I am happy I used up 2 cans of beans and 2 cans of tomatoes that were expired or on the verge (particularly as my husband noticed when he was opening the cans).  We actually don't have any more diced tomotoes left!  Very exciting.  Still have like 20 cans of soup we're working through though...and DH refuses to eat pretty much all of the ones that are left.  Also used up half a bag of frozen peas from the summer CSA this weekend.  I'm starting to see an end to the frozen veggies of the past two years!  Another few corn chowders will finish off the stored potatoes and corn.