Author Topic: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2  (Read 1190864 times)

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
Re: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2
« Reply #3300 on: August 31, 2021, 05:58:01 PM »
@Dollar Slice - I've had good luck keeping feta in salty water, but that fits well with the taste of feta. I'd try that here, then rinse before use, and use more quickly than possible.

I'll give it a shot :-) They were already getting a little weird and dried out so it can't be worse than letting them sit in the empty tub...

I always have trouble with those things leaking, I have no idea why they put them in such poor packaging.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #3301 on: August 31, 2021, 07:36:38 PM »
@Dollar Slice - I've had good luck keeping feta in salty water, but that fits well with the taste of feta. I'd try that here, then rinse before use, and use more quickly than possible.

I'll give it a shot :-) They were already getting a little weird and dried out so it can't be worse than letting them sit in the empty tub...

I always have trouble with those things leaking, I have no idea why they put them in such poor packaging.

Not sure how your mozzarella is packed in the US, but I slice the big ball I get then freeze it in a plastic tub without liquid. The slices go on my pizza as needed. They are difficult but not impossible to separate when frozen.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3302 on: August 31, 2021, 08:29:28 PM »
Not sure how your mozzarella is packed in the US, but I slice the big ball I get then freeze it in a plastic tub without liquid. The slices go on my pizza as needed. They are difficult but not impossible to separate when frozen.

These are the little ciliegine balls (~2cm wide) and they come in a tub full of liquid. I was planning on using them raw in salads/appetizer type dishes since tomatoes are in season right now and they're so good together. The bigger balls that you would slice often come tightly wrapped in plastic wrap with no liquid.

Dutch Comfort

• Bristles
« Reply #3303 on: September 01, 2021, 03:23:13 AM »
Here's a query for the food preservation peeps... had a rough grocery delivery today and tub of fresh mozzarella leaked 100% of its liquid all over everything in the bag, soaking everything. I got refunds for what was ruined and cleaned the rest, but would like to minimize waste. The cheese was still in the tub, but without any liquid; will it be ok or should I repackage it with some salty water - or is there something else in that liquid that preserves it somehow?

Just use it as soon as possible.....
I'm planning to make a pasta casserole this weekend to use up some mozzarella balls: stir fry some meatballs (from our freezer stash) and unions (from the cupboard). Add 2 cans of cherrytomatoes (cupboard inventory) and a little pasta (I will use orzo, a rice sized pasta variety which is in my cupboard). Add some herbs (oregano, basil, a little pepper and salt) Simmer for 20 minutes. Put everything in a large oven-dish and put the mozzarella balls on it. Heat for 15 minutes and serve with some salad!

We're back from holidays and my cupboard is still overflowing. This needs some downsizing, so I'm menu-planning around things I have.
Today is a simple pasta dish (no time to cook, so it will be simple pasta bolognese which is ready in 15 minutes). Tomorrow Taco dinner to use up the veggies before they go bad.

Beardog

• Bristles
« Reply #3304 on: September 01, 2021, 06:15:31 AM »
Slow cooker mung bean daal using mung beans that have been hanging around for ... forever ?  I soaked the beans overnight just to make sure they were still good.  This recipe also involved using some spices that have been hanging around for a while.  Some of them are seeds that I grind in a spice grinder.  I understand that if spices remain in seed form they last much much longer.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3305 on: September 01, 2021, 11:23:09 AM »
@MountainGal Do you have a link to the recipe you used for crock pot zucchini bread?  I've rediscovered crock pot cooking recently.

Hi @Beardog!  Thank you for asking.  Below is the recipe I followed.  I used granulated sugar and butter because that's what I had on hand.  I omitted the xanthan gum (because I don't buy it), and didn't add nuts because my husband doesn't care for them in bread.  https://lowcarbyum.com/crock-pot-zucchini-bread-gluten-free/

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3306 on: September 01, 2021, 11:28:05 AM »
When attempting to put something away in the pantry last night, I knocked something to the floor (my dark chocolate blueberry sticks! Gasp!) and the container popped open and the sticks went everywhere.  I told my husband we have way too much stuffed in there.  Such a problem to have (sarcasm).  I'll focus on rearranging again this weekend.

seemsright

• Bristles
« Reply #3307 on: September 01, 2021, 12:22:58 PM »
When attempting to put something away in the pantry last night, I knocked something to the floor (my dark chocolate blueberry sticks! Gasp!) and the container popped open and the sticks went everywhere.  I told my husband we have way too much stuffed in there.  Such a problem to have (sarcasm).  I'll focus on rearranging again this weekend.

I too am so tired of having to dig for things in my pantry, fridge and freezer. I am not buying much at all right now with all of the garden produce coming in.

Tonight's dinner, ginger miso soup, grilled flat bread and grilled corn. Yes random but trying to use up what we have on hand.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3308 on: September 01, 2021, 12:47:41 PM »
Our chicken shawarma was so popular that I don't have enough for (planned) leftovers tonight. Instead, I defrosted some kebabs from the freezer, and we will have those with rice for dinner. Always good to free up freezer space.

seemsright

• Bristles
« Reply #3309 on: September 01, 2021, 07:18:14 PM »
My ginger miso soup was amazing. I made some bone broth in my pressure cooker, added a chunk of ginger and a bit of turmeric root. Then I diced a bit of onion, carrot and celery. I added some miso paste to my pot, poured in my broth then tempered a couple of eggs into the broth. Added a couple handfuls of sliced cabbage...it was really easy and so so good.

Making soup with what you have on hand is not hard. Just make sure the texture is what you are going for. Tonights dinner was exactly what I wanted and I did not have to go to the store.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3310 on: September 02, 2021, 04:11:19 PM »
@seemsright, exactly!  In our kitchen pantry, each shelf has a purpose, from top to bottom:  Husband's breakfast and lunch stuff, canned items, baking items, cooking oils/vinegars/almond flour on the lower half shelf, and husband's lunchbox, box of garbage bags, and the fire extinguisher on the bottom.  Problems start when miscellaneous bags of things get placed in front of the cans and baking items.  It drives me nuts to not see everything available at a glance.  And, your miso soup sounds delicious!

@MaybeBabyMustache, glad your shawarma was a hit!  That dish seems popular these days:  It was on a recent cooking show on the Food channel, and Ree Drummond, the Pioneer Woman, recently featured it in her newsletter.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3311 on: September 04, 2021, 03:48:19 AM »
Our chicken shawarma was so popular that I don't have enough for (planned) leftovers tonight. Instead, I defrosted some kebabs from the freezer, and we will have those with rice for dinner. Always good to free up freezer space.

That is always the dilemma. An empty freezer makes me a bit nervous of not having anything stored (for a temporary crisis or so). But a full freezer has a lot of stuff that needs to be eaten before it expires.

I just installed an app called Best Before. I added all the stuff that is in the freezer drawers, that I earlier had written on paper lists. And I added selfmade products in fridges and cupboards. There is still all the other stuff. I added DH to the electronic list and I hope the system will work. It is supposed to give a reminder a week before it perishes.

In the last few weeks, we picked lots of blue berries that are in the freezer waiting for the plums in the garden to ripen. That won't take long. We had some other berries that I cooked and put in pots.

Yesterday I made a dish where I finished a pack of bulgur. It needed parsley which I didn't have. So I added a selfpicked plant from the freezer that tastes of parsley.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3312 on: September 04, 2021, 06:31:32 AM »
@Linea_Norway - please let us know what you think of the app. I'd find something like that useful, I think.

I had eggs for lunch 2x this week, as there were almost no leftovers. I also defrosted leftovers from the freezer for lunch. They weren't great (enchilada rice), but added some guacamole, garden tomatoes & cheese, and it was passable. It's hard to go wrong with guacamole.

Had an insane work day yesterday, so we got Thai food takeout. It was delicious, & we have a lot of leftovers. We have a really busy weekend (teen soccer tournament), but I have cooking on the list of things to do:
-Grilled chicken & pasta salad (both also with leftovers)
-Chicken curry (makes 3x dinners) & rice
-Beef & cauliflower taco skillet (hope it makes x2 dinners)

Kids have lunch at school. We've gone through a staggering amount of smoothies (at least a couple of batches/day), as it's a great option for the kids ahead of school with a scoop of protein powder. Or as an afternoon snack. We made it completely through the freezer bananas, and have made progress on the enormous bag of protein powder.

Time permitting, I need to cut back all of the herbs this weekend. Maybe it will be time for a batch of fresh pesto.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3313 on: September 05, 2021, 11:29:08 AM »
@MaybeBabyMustache
So far, the app Best Before (Android) works okay. I have the free version and that comes with commercials at the bottom.

It is reasonably easy to find back a product. I have just typed in a description, but you can also take pictures, something I didn't try. I find it easy to mark something as consumed when finished. And if I don't count the number down, it goes into opened. I have not managed to mark one item as opened when I have multiple of the same product. Also, when I have the same item stored various places (a silly thing to do, I admit), I need to give to give the second item a different name, otherwise it will be added to the existing item.
All in all so far, it works well. I like that we can use it with more users. And I like that I can turn off notifications for updates of items.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3314 on: September 05, 2021, 11:49:51 AM »
Thanks, @Linea_Norway - I'll give it a try.

draco44

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3315 on: September 05, 2021, 01:39:59 PM »
I blended the last remnants of a jar of cherry jam with some lemon juice and fresh watermelon and made popsicles. I like it when an ingredient "scrap" can become a featured ingredient in a new dish.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3316 on: September 05, 2021, 02:06:42 PM »
Today I used up a jar of pickeled mushrooms. I made a dent in a pot of pickeled carrot. And I used a lot of the flavours that we have in pots in the fridge. And I used up a small plastic bag of dried mushrooms, as well as some fresh one that I picked last week.

I registered my dried mushrooms with their picking date in the app, so I was a bit shocked to find a few from 2016. Good that they don't expire so much.

dividend

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3317 on: September 06, 2021, 02:16:02 PM »
I made a stupid delicious bean salad from out of date beans to take to my fancy neighborhood block party today.  Win win win.  Also, I re-inventoried my freezers this weekend, and am soliciting suggestions for roasted Hatch chiles, and white fish.  TIA. 

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3318 on: September 06, 2021, 03:04:48 PM »
-Ate more pasta salad with dinner
-Continue to eat up leftover Thai takeout for lunches
-In a "use it up" fail, I'd stocked up on a few options for a pool party (mini pepperoni pizzas, chicken tenders, etc) & then found out the guests are vegetarian. So, had to buy new items. Oh well, the kids will eat these another time.

SAfAmBrit

• Stubble
« Reply #3319 on: September 06, 2021, 03:14:37 PM »
Sorry - I am sure I am driving everyone crazy with this list - but it is something that works to motivate me

Competed out of the cupboards since I started on 8/1

Dried Chickpeas
Cashews and cashew butter
2 burrito wraps hiding - I made vegan quesadilla's
A bag of gnocchi - it was out of date but I survived!
Potatoes
Down to 1 jar of lentils
1 1/2 bag peas (I had more than 1 /2 bag?)
frozen cauliflower rice
Onions
Open can of coconut milk in the fridge
Small amt of Fusilli
Emptied 2nd box rice - 2 more open to go
Finished a can of dried french onion - not sure when I bought it and I have another.
Jar of nutritional yeast
Bag with small amount Faro in it

Lasagne sheets - alas not - have more

I am buying only fresh vegetables and fruit - and tinned tomatoes - sorry life would be over without tomatoes in it!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3320 on: September 07, 2021, 12:47:28 AM »
Yesterday I made tapas for dinner. I used up one small jar of confited selfpicked mushrooms, with olives. Opened a jar of confited porcini mushrooms that is in the fridge because the jar leaks oil through the lid. I had some other dishes as well but those were bought fresh. I also baked a foccacia and could store 3 portions of it in the freezer. Should add them to the app.

I fifured out that in the app I can mark stuff as opened as long as I don't check off the box "count individually".

Dutch Comfort

• Bristles
« Reply #3321 on: September 07, 2021, 02:32:46 AM »
Still trying to get my overflowing cupboard down to more normal...... but one way or the other, things keep on creeping up and are not eaten by the family.
Today I'm hoping to finalise a few leftovers from the weekend and then tomorrow I will start cooking from the cupboard. Maybe some reorganisation needs to take place, since I'm finding same items on different shelves. I'm hoping that this weekend, I can get myself in a mood to do this. My husband starts complaining that he cannot find anything in the big mess, so there is some signaling.......

Plan for this week:
Today: stir fry noodles with loads of veggies and some chicken
Tomorrow: baked potatoes with salad and some meats from the freezer
Thursday: pasta day (simple, because of sports.....)
Friday: fish&chips plus some leftover veggies
Saturday: easy shawarma with pita and salad
Sunday: pasta casserole (the one I planned for last Sunday, but the weather was too good, so we BBQ-ed some burgers)

Lunches will be leftovers and sandwiches. Breakfast is cereal, crackers and anything the kids will find in the fridge..... (I'm not a real breakfast person, way too busy in the morning with getting lunchboxes ready and then head to work (either at home or at the office))

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3322 on: September 07, 2021, 01:43:39 PM »
@dividend, I've made a casserole out of Hatch green chilis which was fabulous.  A quick online search will result in many recipes. :)

Saturday, I tackled the kitchen pantry.  I pulled out open bags of nuts, trail mix, cheese crisps, etc. which were in the way and driving me nuts.  I consolidated some to baggies and containers to eat with lunches.  DH finished the trail mix over the weekend.  I then organized the other shelves, grouping things back together such as baking ingredients, oils and vinegars.  Next time, I'll fully commit and pull everything out in order to remove the liner and wipe down shelves.  The only things tossed were a tiny bit of corn meal that expired last October, and 1/3 bag of pork rinds which expired in June.

This weekend included focusing on the bag of baby spinach, blueberries, and husband's garden harvests:
~Sunday was brunch smoothies with baby spinach, fresh blueberries, strawberries from the freezer, a can of coconut milk, vanilla, honey, and a dash of cinnamon.
~Yesterday's brunch featured a baby spinach, bacon, and cheddar omelet.  It used the remaining slice of bacon, and I served blueberries on the side.
~Last night we had 4 different garden vegetables for supper including our first home grown cucumber.
~Tonight's nachos will utilize some garden tomatoes, some Hatch flavored chili tortilla chips, bits and bobs of cheese, and a can each of beans and olives.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3323 on: September 07, 2021, 02:46:44 PM »
How coincidental that this is at the top of my "show new replies to your threads" page, because I'm going to be using it all up. Primary fridge / freezer failed (hopefully just needs to be defrosted) and I just moved everything we own out into the garage fridge. Everything in the freezer was totally frozen but the fridge hit 68 degrees. Tonight will be eat up everything in the fridge before it spoils night.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3324 on: September 08, 2021, 02:13:12 PM »
-The kids ate remaining pizza for dinner last night
-I finished off the last of the Thai takeout for lunch
-The teens had a couple of friends over to swim on Monday, so we have a few snacky foods that need to get eaten. The cheese puffs are already gone, and a few small bags remain.
-I had a few small pieces of grilled chicken over my lunch salad today
-Tonight we're having salmon (my husband) & chicken curry (everyone else). The salmon has been in the freezer for a few months, so I'm thrilled that it will be moving out & onto the menu

Need to clean out the fridge a bit & see what else needs to be eaten.

Dutch Comfort

• Bristles
« Reply #3325 on: September 09, 2021, 02:19:36 AM »
Kids are doing great at finishing things from the cupboard. The snacks and crackers/cereal things are being eaten or they take some things with them to school. The oatmeal/banana/walnut muffins which were in the freezer are a new favorite for school/after-school snacks, so I might need to make a new batch, using up the oatmeal that I have in the cupboard. Plan is relatively unchanged, but the Friday will be different, since DH decided he craved fish yesterday instead of Friday. Oh well, at least it is being eaten!

Thursday: pasta day (simple, because of sports.....)
Friday: broccoli, baked potatoes with bacon and mushrooms, meatballs
Saturday: easy shawarma with pita and salad
Sunday: pasta casserole

seemsright

• Bristles
« Reply #3326 on: September 09, 2021, 04:25:06 PM »
I got 7 gallons of free ripe pears today. I have 3 pots of pear sauce/pear butter going. I washed them and then blended them in the vita mix skin and seeds and all. I did cut the stem off.

Dumped some spices into them. my house smells amazing. I will let the pots go for awhile and will can it tonight.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3327 on: September 11, 2021, 11:30:04 AM »
Maybe I am strange and don't know it! I have been known to buy 3 turkeys around Thanksgiving and eat one for Thanksgiving, freeze the others and eat one every 2-3 months. I have made meatloaf year round, pot roasts year round. I enjoy seasonal food but if I like something I will eat it any time of year. I have a friend that told me that they would never eat things like pot roast in the summer. I am like what??? I was not brought up to avoid certain foods in the summer.

I don't really care but it kind of blows my mind that some people won't eat certain foods in the summer. If you eat a hot meal of fish in the summer, what is the difference if you eat a hot beef meal? Hamburgers are hot, hot dogs are hot, chicken is hot, pizza is hot!

In summer I have the ac going so not like my house is 100 degrees.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3328 on: September 11, 2021, 01:10:32 PM »
@Roadrunner53 - I find that my appetite is a bit lighter during warmer weather, and we try to eat out of garden. That lends itself to a different type of menu, for the most part. We don't actively avoid anything, but as we're planning our menus, it does factor in. We try to avoid using the a/c, except on the hottest days, so I also avoid meals that take a lot of kitchen time (roasting, oven time, etc). We do a lot more grilling &/or salads.

-Finished off the peanut butter pretzels (leftover from swim party) for lunch
-Trying to use a jar of lemon juice I found in the pantry (expires soon). Unclear why my husband would ever buy it, as we have access to fresh lemons here pretty much year round (typically for free from neighbors & our own small tree). Used some up on a Mediterranean Coleslaw I'm making tonight.
-Ate more of the dill pickle hummus + pita chips (leftover from swim party). Not quite gone yet, but working on it.
-Made up the last four pieces of chicken for the kiddos for lunch

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3329 on: September 11, 2021, 02:42:46 PM »
I use my crockpot to cook a lot of things so there is barely any heat to make any difference. Some people use Instant Pot to cook things and that doesn't heat up the house either. I also have an air fryer that doesn't heat up the house. Heating up the house has never been a real concern to me. If I use the oven it is for maybe an hour and a half. We have fans as well to keep things cool.

I am an ac junky and no way I am going to live thru 100 degree days with no ac!

I had about 6 tomatoes from the garden that needed to be used. So, I cut them up and put them in the Vita Mix and blended them up. Then added some tomato paste. Poured into a ziplock and froze. Will add to it later on and make a nice pasta sauce. Cannot waste garden tomatoes!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3330 on: September 12, 2021, 08:37:15 AM »
We picked some plums from the three in our garden. Put them in the freezer, because there are still many of them that are not ripe. We plan to make wine from plums and blueberries that are also in the freezer.

Today I picked some edible mushrooms, called shaggy inkcap. And an edible plant that I washed and frooze.

I finished a jar of confit penny bun mushrooms.

Dutch Comfort

• Bristles
« Reply #3331 on: September 13, 2021, 07:08:29 AM »
New week, new menu:
Monday: cauliflower, potatoes, sausages
Tuesday: burritos, using up various canned veggies from the cupboard
Wednesday: baked potatoes, some meats and veggies
Thursday: pasta
Friday: - need to do cupboard/freezer/fridge check on Wed/Thu before I decide

Lunches will be leftovers and sandwiches
Snacks are still enough in the cupboard. Kids will continue to munch on these.
Breakfast will be cereal / crackers / any other things lingering in the cupboard.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3332 on: September 13, 2021, 08:07:37 AM »
Oldest kiddo caught 2 trout yesterday, DH cleaned and gutted them. Then the evening fell apart spectacularly, so today is going to be eat trout for dinner day.
Also, finally processed some old frozen tomatoes, mixed with some free tomatoes I acquired and blended them up to make a not quite pasta sauce. It will be the base for most of my meals this week

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3333 on: September 13, 2021, 08:09:33 AM »
-Made a new recipe (beef & cauliflower taco rice skillet). It was great, and used up two large bags of cauliflower rice from the freezer - we doubled the recipe. I also used jalapenos from the garden, as I didn't have any tomatoes with chiles. Used plain canned tomatoes & jalapenos instead.
-Used up some freezer bananas in a smoothie
-Teens found my secret cereal stash (which, frankly, I'd forgotten about). I need to hide the cereal when it's on a great sale, or they will eat it all in a week.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3334 on: September 13, 2021, 11:52:54 AM »
I've returned from a long weekend of camping and volunteering.  :)

~Before we left, I made a dip out of the last remaining few tablespoons of sour cream, added some ranch dressing, onion and garlic powders.  It went great with pork rinds, the rest of a can of black olives olives, and some baby carrots.
~A snack plate I made for volunteers used up the rest of the baby carrots, among other odds and ends.

This week's menus will use the kielbasa my husband bought for camping and we didn't get to, the rest of the mini mozzarella balls, more of the cherry tomatoes, the remaining catfish fillet and low carb tortillas, and a pound each ground beef and pork.

Which leads me to:  Cherry tomatoes.  Oh, so many cherry tomatoes, from our garden, and some given to us by a fellow camper over the weekend.  Inspired by @Roadrunner53, I'm going to make tomato sauce from a recipe I found online.   

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3335 on: September 13, 2021, 01:49:10 PM »
For lunch today, I had leftover rice. I warmed at the bottom of a pan with a little butter, then cracked in two eggs & added salt & pepper. Scrambled the eggs, and then topped with cheese. Added a little sriracha to it. Delicious & I would definitely make it again! (A take on omelette rice/omurice from Japan)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3336 on: September 13, 2021, 02:21:19 PM »
Today we had a combination of 2 leftover dishes, a bean soup, combined with leftover slowcooked meat. Combined with leftover bread baked as croutons. Served with a leftover stump of cheese, and leftover cilantro.

seemsright

• Bristles
« Reply #3337 on: September 14, 2021, 08:19:49 PM »
today I took a basic scone recipe and modified it to fit what I had on hand. I had some ripe pears that had to be used up today. I decided to brew some strong chai tea and make chai spiced pear scones...they were amazing.

My number one tip is to think outside the box. I still have a bunch of random tea in my house that I am going to try to use up. I bet I can make scones using green tea. Or maybe green tea steamed chicken or something like that.

I am so looking forward to not shifting things in my kitchen. And making things like scones is helping me use up some of the random.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3338 on: September 15, 2021, 08:09:24 AM »
I moved the box of motzah ball soup up onto the kitchen counter so I remember to eventually make it.

Also, will force myself to finish off the almost done box of Tapioca pudding mix which has been sitting on the same shelf for about a year. ( wow!)   

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3339 on: September 15, 2021, 09:58:51 AM »
-Finished off the last of the rice with another rice omelette for lunch.
-Used up more of the fresh tortillas to make DS2 a quesadilla
-We had more of the Sunday dinner as leftovers last night. It was definitely better on the first night. I'm evolving my thinking, as I love the ease of cook once/eat twice, but I do think it's causing us a bit more waste, and my kids (and, sometimes my husband) are pickier with leftovers. I'll need to give more thought to this, as it's been my go to plan for the last 10+ years. I hate change. ;-)
-We're having leftover burgers tonight for dinner. I may make a caprese salad to go with them, as we have a glut of garden tomatoes, and an open container of fresh mozzarella

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3340 on: September 18, 2021, 07:31:38 AM »
Today I made conocut cookies (kokosmakroner) because we had 2 boxes of eggs and way too much dried coconut stuff. Wiki says it is a traditional Norwegian cookie, but I know it from The Netherlands as well. It has no English name from what I can tell. For those who are interested, you could translate this recipe which I made: https://www.matprat.no/oppskrifter/tradisjon/kokosmakroner/

Now I used up only egg whites. So I need to make something else of the egg yolk, and one whole egg, because I f...d up when splitting one egg. The plan is to make cheese balls. Only, we do not have old cheese right now, so I'll use normal cheese with extra cummin, chili and 'umami from a box'.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 07:44:33 AM by Linea_Norway »

SAfAmBrit

• Stubble
« Reply #3341 on: September 18, 2021, 01:13:48 PM »
I finished 1 more box of rice - starting on the last 1 - you guessed it - making the Spanish rice again. My cupboards are starting to look respectable and have things I regularly use - I have started enjoying cooking again I am not hunting for Red October every time I need something. Think I will make chilli to start on my lentil and dried beans stockpile. https://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/slow-cooker-lentil-chili/ Still only buying fresh fruit and veg - and tinned tomatoes - and making it up with everything in the pantry - slow and steady.

Competed out of the cupboards since I started on 8/1

Dried Chickpeas
Cashews and cashew butter
2 burrito wraps hiding - I made vegan quesadilla's
A bag of gnocchi - it was out of date but I survived!
Potatoes
Down to 1 jar of lentils
1 1/2 bag peas (I had more than 1 /2 bag?)
frozen cauliflower rice
Onions
Open can of coconut milk in the fridge
Small amt of Fusilli
Emptied 3rd box rice - 1 more open to go
Finished a can of dried french onion - not sure when I bought it and I have another.
Jar of nutritional yeast
Bag with small amount Faro in it
Last frozen dinner - gone!
Miscellaneous oats pots and sachets
Cous Cous complete :-(

Lasagne sheets - alas not - have more

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3342 on: September 19, 2021, 02:17:06 PM »
DH has started to make wine from all the blueberries (7 kg) and all the plums (3 kg). That makes room in the freezer.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3343 on: September 20, 2021, 08:12:12 AM »
Used two packages of frozen zucchini to make zucchini muffins this weekend. It's always nice to clear a little freezer space!

Dutch Comfort

• Bristles
« Reply #3344 on: September 20, 2021, 08:43:46 AM »
Today I made conocut cookies (kokosmakroner) because we had 2 boxes of eggs and way too much dried coconut stuff. Wiki says it is a traditional Norwegian cookie, but I know it from The Netherlands as well. It has no English name from what I can tell. For those who are interested, you could translate this recipe which I made: https://www.matprat.no/oppskrifter/tradisjon/kokosmakroner/

Now I used up only egg whites. So I need to make something else of the egg yolk, and one whole egg, because I f...d up when splitting one egg. The plan is to make cheese balls. Only, we do not have old cheese right now, so I'll use normal cheese with extra cummin, chili and 'umami from a box'.

I just love coconut cookies (kokos-makronen in Dutch). Reminds me that I also have some shredded coconut in a cupboard that needs to be used.
But first, we need to finish leftovers from the weekend that my inlaws gave us after a family gathering. I'm trying to keep away from the cakes and let my teens take care of that, but I cannot give them the wine......

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3345 on: September 20, 2021, 02:51:04 PM »
Those coconut cookies sound delicious!

@SAfAmBrit, I laughed out loud when I read your Red October analogy!  :D

I'm concluding my earlier quest of eating the food in plastic storage containers in the freezer.  The last small square containing pork tenderloin will provide two lunches for my DH this week.  A larger square of spaghetti squash chicken Alfredo will yield two lunches for myself.  To my knowledge, that leaves just one container containing slices of keto cheesecake I made a few months ago.  And the kitchen drawer of storage containers is full once again.  :)  And, as @MaybeBabyMustache said, it is nice to clear a bit of freezer space.

Other wins:
~Used up the rest of the homemade Italian dressing DH made a few weeks ago.
~Juiced half a dozen limes or so in order to freeze it for the winter.
~Used more cherry tomatoes on top of a baby spinach salad, as well in a caprese salad.
~Used a can of chicken breast in the above baby spinach salad.  I mistakenly bought another pack of 6 a few weeks ago.  So, we have 12 cans on hand.  Ooops.  The good news is the latest batch has a 2024 expiration date.
~I made a batch of homemade pancake mix, just the dry ingredients, to keep on hand.
~Snacking included finishing the rest of the Cajun trail mix from camping, my chocolate orange sticks, and a small bag of Cheetos.
~This week's suppers will utilize the rest of this season's garden harvest DH bought in yesterday.  It includes two types of cherry tomatoes, yellow squash, lemon cucumbers, and jalapenos.  The latter are up to him to process, LOL.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3346 on: September 20, 2021, 04:23:48 PM »

Beardog

• Bristles
« Reply #3347 on: September 22, 2021, 01:17:46 PM »
Finished a small quantity of dried black bean noodles that's been hanging around for a year or two. 

Finished off the bulgur that's been hanging around for a couple years using a suggestion from @seemsright to prepare it as breakfast cereal.  I mixed mine half and half by weight with my usual oatmeal.  I'm going to try the same approach with some buckwheat hot cereal that needs to be eaten.

Made some muffins recently which used some vintage dried coconut, oat bran cereal, and canned pumpkin.  Used some of that same dried coconut in a daal with some red lentils that have been gracing my cupboards for longer than I care to think about.

Today's dinner will use some red rice that I purchased in a large quantity during the heat of the pandemic, as well as some dried shitake mushrooms that I've had ... forever?

Things in the cupboard/freezer that have been around for a long time and need to be used up:
  • brown rice and pea protein pasta
  • buckwheat noodles
  • TVP
  • barley
  • buckwheat groats
  • red lentils
  • urad daal
  • mung beans
  • lots of dried shitake mushrooms
  • lots of brown rice
  • more red rice
  • sea weed
  • miso
  • corn meal
  • chickpea flour
  • soy flour
  • more dried coconut
  • various condiments

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3348 on: September 22, 2021, 01:27:21 PM »
Thanks for the link, @MaybeBabyMustache.  I'll share it with DH.  We're not quite up to that amount, as the final harvest yielded 6 or so.  :)

Nice going, @Beardog!

I discovered two more food storage containers in the freezer.  One has ham and beans, which DH can eat next week, and one other I don't recall at this time.

Sunday evening, I made two jars of overnight oats for DH, which used up the rest of the strawberries and raspberries.  And I "sneak" a bit of flax seed in each jar.  ;)

Monday evening, much to my chagrin, I discovered I didn't get to a salmon fillet in time.  DH double bagged it and threw it out.  That was $9+ literally thrown away.  I will not make that mistake in the future.

I worked from home yesterday, and had a nice bowl of clam chowder topped with a handful of goldfish crackers.  Autumn is here, and it was a comforting lunch.  For today, I just finished the salad consisting of asparagus, chicken breast, cherry tomato, cucumber, on top of baby spinach I made Sunday afternoon.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3349 on: September 22, 2021, 01:32:35 PM »
If you were closer, @MountainGal - I could hook you up with all of the peppers you wanted. They grow like nuts here, almost year round. Sorry about the salmon. I just remember a filet that I had in our garage fridge, and it will be made tonight. It was a near miss!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!