Author Topic: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2  (Read 634078 times)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2
« Reply #2500 on: September 13, 2019, 01:09:00 PM »
wow - great progress @SquashingDebt & @imadandylion !

I was traveling all week, so there was a bit of food waste (my husband isn't the leftover ninja that I am). I did defrost some seasoned ground turkey for dinner tonight, and will make a spaghetti sauce. Adults will have with zoodles, kids will have with regular pasta.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2501 on: September 15, 2019, 09:22:49 AM »
Since Friday, we've made good progress:
-Used up a very discounted Italian seasoned lb of ground turkey (freezer) - went into spaghetti sauce
-Marinara sauce (pantry) - went into spaghetti sauce
-Taco meat (freezer) - went into taco slaw
-Tiny container of homemade tomato sauce (freezer) - went into spaghetti sauce
-Used a ton of basil for pesto - one for us, dropped off one with our neighbor
-Used tahini & a can of garbanzo beans - made hummus
-My 12 yo wanted to make pizza, so finally used the rest of a brick of shreddable mozzarella & pepperoni that were in the use it or lose it phase of the fridge

For today, I'm making crockpot carnitas for the freezer. We do all of the steps but the crisping. Defrost from the freezer, and then crisp before serving. They are a freezer staple. Now that there's more room in the fridge, we can fill it with carnitas. Yum!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2502 on: September 22, 2019, 01:23:58 PM »
I didn't have quite enough peanut butter for my protein bars today. I used my food processor & turned the remainder of a bag of macadamia nuts that had been lingering in the pantry for way too long into a nut butter, and mixed that with the peanut butter. One more item out of the pantry!

MountainGal

• Bristles
« Reply #2503 on: September 23, 2019, 01:36:24 PM »
Lately:

Remaining pecan pieces went on top of today's salad
Leftover cauliflower was made into a puree to use as a side dish last night
Leftover broccoli was sauteed with baby spinach and asparagus for a side last week
A jar of rather runny homemade apricot jam will go on top of a pork roast in the Crock Pot tomorrow
Garden fresh crookneck squash will be cooked as a side dish tonight, and in Wednesday's stir fry
Frozen leftovers such as deer chili will feed DH when I soon go out of town

I need to dig around the bottom freezer drawer to figure out what else is lurking there.

Dee_

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2504 on: September 23, 2019, 09:29:01 PM »
Here's an interesting one: found half a bag of gummed together stale marshmallows at the back of the pantry. In the absence of any prepared cereal in the house, we're having marshmallow popcorn for dessert tomorrow!

GermanStache

• Stubble
  • Working my way to FI
    • My Journal
« Reply #2505 on: September 26, 2019, 11:09:03 PM »
I Need to get back to this... I am away on the weekend, but on Monday I will put a basket on the kitchen counter and will put in all dry items that need to be used up. I am overwhelmed by the content of my kitchen cabinets...

SquashingDebt

• Stubble
« Reply #2506 on: September 28, 2019, 09:56:51 AM »
I haven't been cooking much the last week, so no major progress on the freezer contents, but I did eat 3 frozen leftover meals (lentils makhani, corn-coconut soup, and stuffed squash) for lunches this week.  I also finished off 2 more bags of frozen fruit from 2017 - 4 to go!

GermanStache

• Stubble
  • Working my way to FI
    • My Journal
« Reply #2507 on: October 03, 2019, 11:01:06 AM »
I put 25 items in a basket in the kitchen that i would like to use up in October. Tonight I will use a pack of naan bread and two packs of Curry Sauce in a indian style fish curry.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Horses: for sanity & poverty!
« Reply #2508 on: October 04, 2019, 01:15:27 PM »
I have a couple packages of ham in the freezer still from buying it on sale before Christmas.  Using that up along with some homegrown potatoes and leeks to make soup for dinner tonight.  I've been eating low-carb all summer, so the stash of potatoes has been going very slowly.

SquashingDebt

• Stubble
« Reply #2509 on: October 06, 2019, 02:17:08 PM »
This weekend I'm keeping it simple and only making one dish (I have lots of frozen leftovers to round out my week).

I have Cabbage-Farro soup from Smitten Kitchen on the stove right now.  It used cabbage and rosemary from the fridge, farro from the pantry, and onions, leeks (because there weren't enough onions), and 2 portions of pork broth from the freezer.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2510 on: October 06, 2019, 03:38:32 PM »
We are out of peanut butter, so I used the last of a can of peanuts, and maybe 2 tbsp of very old pistachios to make nut butter for my protein bars.

My son used up a couple of freezer bananas for smoothies this week.

MountainGal

• Bristles
« Reply #2511 on: October 07, 2019, 11:06:54 AM »
Nicely done, @MaybeBabyMustache!

As posted earlier a few weeks ago, I dug around the kitchen freezer Saturday, and asked DH for a summary of the garage freezer.  These resulted in:

Ham steaks:  Some went onto last night's pizza, the rest will be used for lunches.
A pound each deer and pork sausage is in today's Crock Pot meatloaf.
I pulled June's leftover chicken and "dumplings" for tomorrow night.
I also pulled last month's leftover rotisserie chicken for my salads this week.
The last of the salmon will be eaten Wednesday night.

Pantry/fridge:
The rest of the coconut flour went into last night's Fathead pizza crust.
Cheddar remnant was used in Saturday's cheesy scrambled eggs.
The rest of a jar of peanut butter went onto last week's pork chops.
I processed grapes, strawberries, and cauliflower for lunch sides this week.
The rest of the kalamata olives went on top of this week's salads.

We've got half a cow coming so we REALLY need to make freezer space!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2512 on: October 07, 2019, 02:29:56 PM »
My dad was in town, so I took a break from the low-carb diet and used a large portion of a bag of masa to make tortillas.  Cooked some black beans we also haven't been using, and used a jar of green enchilada sauce I canned in 2018 to make a big pan of enchiladas Suizas.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2513 on: October 07, 2019, 03:55:40 PM »
Wow @MountainGal - that's a lot of progress! Awesome work

gatortator

• Stubble
« Reply #2514 on: October 07, 2019, 04:27:16 PM »
i need help...

we just picked up many, many, many pounds of root vegetables from our CSA.  so yummy but so many!

potatoes, yams, garlic, onions, winter squash-- I have a handle on what to do with these..

but the tricky one is BEETS.

I really only cook roasted beets as a side dish or thinly slice raw baby ones for a salad.  But I need more ideas/recipes as to get through the amount I have (almost 20lbs).  what's your favorite way to use beets?

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2515 on: October 07, 2019, 05:55:31 PM »
i need help...

we just picked up many, many, many pounds of root vegetables from our CSA.  so yummy but so many!

potatoes, yams, garlic, onions, winter squash-- I have a handle on what to do with these..

I really only cook roasted beets as a side dish or thinly slice raw baby ones for a salad.  But I need more ideas/recipes as to get through the amount I have (almost 20lbs).  what's your favorite way to use beets?
Beet soup!
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/215037/lithuanian-saltibarsciai-cold-beet-soup/

Raenia

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2516 on: October 07, 2019, 06:51:49 PM »
i need help...

Pickled beets!  Great way to preserve too many beets, I like them cold as a side dish or in salad.  For fresh cooking, I also like boiled (until the skins slip off, then they're done), but I just really love the flavor of beets.  If you're not a beet person, that might not be for you.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2517 on: October 07, 2019, 08:37:28 PM »
i need help...

Red Flannel Hash with eggs on top makes  a good dinner.  Ham or bacon is good if you don't have corned beef (or go vegetarian if that's your thing).  https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/red-flannel-hash/

SquashingDebt

• Stubble
« Reply #2518 on: October 08, 2019, 05:07:13 AM »
i need help...

Shredded along with carrots to make a coleslaw-like salad.  I usually use olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, and cumin as the main parts of the dressing.

gatortator

• Stubble
« Reply #2519 on: October 08, 2019, 10:15:13 AM »
but I just really love the flavor of beets.  If you're not a beet person, that might not be for you.

we have a sliding scale of beet lovers in our house.  Spouse loves beets and would eat them every week.  I also like beets but not as much as spouse.  Kid2 is well on the road to liking beets and eats them roasted without complaint.  Kid1 is slowest on the journey to liking beets but keeps trying them (with some nudging from us).

Mainly with this fall season,  I hope to explore all the cool ways to eat beets to find which way(s) work(s) best.

Borscht is out-- it was one of my first thoughts as well, but it failed.  will try again later, maybe after a little time.

@horsepoor Red Flannel Hash is a great idea!  will definitely be trying that (Kid1 is a big bacon eater).

@Raenia Pickling is also a cool idea.  Kid1 and Kid2 both loved eating pickled mushrooms last weekend ( mushrooms are a food they normally skip).  so pickling might help.  is there a specific recipe that works best for beets or can I just use something like a quick pickle?

thanks everyone for the suggestions so far!  Let me know if you have more ideas to help Kid1 and Kid2.

Raenia

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2520 on: October 08, 2019, 10:35:30 AM »
I think the recipe I used was something like this: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/38109/pickled-beets/, however there are also recipes with more savory spicing or apple cider vinegar.  I can dig up my recipe tonight and double check.

SquashingDebt

• Stubble
« Reply #2521 on: October 13, 2019, 05:46:38 PM »
Today's project was stuffed peppers.  I got lots of free poblano peppers from work, so I used 2 bags of tomato sauce, 1 bag of leeks, and 2 packs of chorizo from the freezer along with 1.5 bags of rice that was near its use by date to make stuffed peppers, with the only ingredient specially purchased for the recipe being the cheese.  I also used up some more of the fancy taco seasoning my grandmother bought me.  My grandmother passed away 10+ years ago...

I made 14 servings of stuffed peppers to go in the freezer for winter lunches and have about 3 servings to eat this week.  (Note, this may have actually resulted in a net increase of freezer space used, but now the ingredients are in a much more usable form.)