Author Topic: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2  (Read 1183516 times)

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2
« Reply #1900 on: November 09, 2017, 11:58:35 PM »
Seriously though, now you get to hear my rant about autocorrect and predictive text. 

I have no idea what your man, autocorrect is a fantastic intercom. I don't know what I would do without is most helpful circus to my text. Technology week face is all.

(This post is brought to you by Swype and autocorrect)

You have certain change my mind about autocorrect with you expecting text imonial. I will available criticizes this except technician in the future. I have been conversation to it's glorifying uses.

Thanks you for sharpener your store.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1901 on: November 10, 2017, 12:01:25 PM »
Our pantry is full of random stuff again.  I will take stock this weekend, and start planning. 

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1902 on: November 10, 2017, 12:19:46 PM »
Seriously though, now you get to hear my rant about autocorrect and predictive text. 

I have no idea what your man, autocorrect is a fantastic intercom. I don't know what I would do without is most helpful circus to my text. Technology week face is all.

You have certain change my mind about autocorrect with you expecting text imonial. I will available criticizes this except technician in the future. I have been conversation to it's glorifying uses.

LMBO.... I luv ewe guyz....  :D

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1903 on: November 11, 2017, 09:15:21 AM »
I finally finished one of the two packs of over date oatmeal. One to go. I don't usually eat it and we usually have enough bread, but today we had too little bread, so I had to improvice lunch.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1904 on: November 12, 2017, 12:30:38 PM »
So far, have eaten two of the lurking freezer breakfast sandwiches, used up all of the almonds, 90% of the lingering cashews & some of the pine nuts. I made a granola recipe & basically subbed everything. Subbed old pita chips for pretzels, cashew butter for peanut butter, the dregs of a bag of trail mix for peanuts, and white chocolate chips bought on clearance quite a ways back for chocolate chips. Fingers crossed it turns out. I ran out of honey, so subbed some agave.

I also am using the pine nuts & a giant harvest of basil (yard plant) to make a double batch of pesto. Yum!

Still have a bunch of work to do, but making some progress.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1905 on: November 12, 2017, 01:47:44 PM »
Had the neighbor boys over. They are quite hungry and not picky -- put out a "buffet" lunch of things that ppl in my house haven't been too keen on eating.

Bacon crusted shrimp, seaweed, crackers, peanut butter, trail mix and a bunch of fruit that needed to be eaten. It almost felt criminal lol.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1906 on: November 12, 2017, 02:20:15 PM »
It's been awhile since I posted here...I really cleared out the pantry before a long trip in August, and had been pretty good about not letting things pile up...for awhile. Over the last couple weeks, I made a shrimp and pasta salad that cleared out the end of two jars of pickles, a jar of mayo and a container of Greek yogurt. This week, I made a banana gingerbread. I had accidentally bought a second bottle of molasses for some cookies, not realizing I already had some. The gingerbread cleared out all my freezer bananas AND the partial container of molasses. Yay!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1907 on: November 12, 2017, 04:38:47 PM »
FINALLY used up the last of a jar of walnut oil that was in desperate need of being consumed. Used it in place of olive oil for my pesto recipe.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1908 on: November 13, 2017, 02:29:15 AM »
I am now making a system of writing on a magnetic notebook on the fridge what portions of leftovers we have in the freezer. We can strike through the ones we consume and add new portions. This we we'll keep an overview.

Recently I ditched a frozen portion of soup that was 2 years old and not very attractive. This is just a terrible habit, throwing away food. I don't want to do it often.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1909 on: November 13, 2017, 05:03:32 AM »
Picked up some high quality pork shoulder on sale this weekend and made pulled pork with the last can of pineapple and made more of a dent into the tamarind. We are out of soy sauce still, so I used kekap manis. It was delicious and now I have 4 servings in the freezer.

Plus, and this is really exciting, I dropped a lid behind the tupperware drawer, so I pulled the drawer out of the cupboard to retrieve it. And I found 8 margarine lids that had also fallen behind. I love the 1 cup margarine containers for freezing small servings, and my parents have stopped eating margarine, so our supply has been cut off.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1910 on: November 13, 2017, 09:58:23 AM »
We sorted through our pantry.  Reorganized it.  Now everything is easier to find.  I hope this helps with our tendency to buy too many things that we don't eat. 

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1911 on: November 13, 2017, 02:55:24 PM »
We sorted through our pantry.  Reorganized it.  Now everything is easier to find.  I hope this helps with our tendency to buy too many things that we don't eat.

That always makes a big difference for me. Stocktake then organised shelves are a lifesaver.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1912 on: November 13, 2017, 02:57:04 PM »
Last night I used up mince and salsa from the freezer.

It's been my real focal point lately. I don't have space to freeze what I want because the freezer is full of ... what exactly?

I have bread in the freezer and some soft tomatoes, should make panzanella next.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2
« Reply #1913 on: November 13, 2017, 04:03:35 PM »
Here are the things I'm actively trying to use down from my pantry/freezer:
-A giant jar of green olives
-28 breakfast sandwiches. The egg filling is fine, but apparently the english muffins are super soggy. I'll need to break them apart, and perhaps come up with another solution for both. I'm fine to eat the egg filling on its own.
-A huge bag of stuffing. I'll definitely use some for Thanksgiving, and then maybe make the rest & freeze? Can you freeze prepared stuffing? Google appears to think so. May prep all of it at Thanksgiving, and then pull out in smaller batches as needed.
-A bag of potatoes that are starting to turn. I'll likely make homemade fries (baked), & potentially mashed potatoes.
-A giant bag of pine nuts.

I have two different dips (hummus & a similar one). I'm thinking we should freeze in smaller quantities moving forward, as I'm ever trying to use it up before it goes bad. Do you freeze hummus? Does it change the texture?

Thanks to this thread, I used up most of my cashews & almonds by making butters, and the kids love them! I ran out of peanut butter, so this is a win/win.

For the olives: cream cheese & olive. Or you can make tapenade.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1914 on: November 14, 2017, 07:22:10 AM »
Here are the things I'm actively trying to use down from my pantry/freezer:
-A giant jar of green olives
-28 breakfast sandwiches. The egg filling is fine, but apparently the english muffins are super soggy. I'll need to break them apart, and perhaps come up with another solution for both. I'm fine to eat the egg filling on its own.
-A huge bag of stuffing. I'll definitely use some for Thanksgiving, and then maybe make the rest & freeze? Can you freeze prepared stuffing? Google appears to think so. May prep all of it at Thanksgiving, and then pull out in smaller batches as needed.
-A bag of potatoes that are starting to turn. I'll likely make homemade fries (baked), & potentially mashed potatoes.
-A giant bag of pine nuts.

I have two different dips (hummus & a similar one). I'm thinking we should freeze in smaller quantities moving forward, as I'm ever trying to use it up before it goes bad. Do you freeze hummus? Does it change the texture?

Thanks to this thread, I used up most of my cashews & almonds by making butters, and the kids love them! I ran out of peanut butter, so this is a win/win.

For the olives: cream cheese & olive. Or you can make tapenade.

I love tapenade, so will definitely give it a try. The jar is absolutely enormous, so I'll have to make & then freeze the portions. Will report back!

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1915 on: November 14, 2017, 09:23:09 AM »
Tapenade in cute little jars would make a good holiday gift!

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1916 on: November 14, 2017, 12:39:42 PM »
Tapenade in cute little jars would make a good holiday gift!

+1!

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1917 on: November 14, 2017, 08:12:43 PM »
Dinner was a huge success tonight.

As readers of this thread know, I have multiple packages of rice side dish type stuff to use up.  Tonight, I started with this:  https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/uncle-bens-rice-and-grains-roasted-red-pepper-brown-rice-and-quinoa/6000195550475

I like to stretch the rice in ratio with the flavouring package, but didn't have any more rice/grain that I was sure would cook in a similar timeline.  So I added a little extra water, then stirred in some tiny red lentils, and a couple handfuls of large flake oatmeal (random, I know, but was just looking to add bulk to the dish).  Took 4 small onions, halved them, and dropped them on top.  It was getting late, I was hungry, and couldn't be bothered with too much chopping.  Cooked it all up in the rice cooker.

Guys, it was so good!  The oatmeal and extra water made it super creamy.  It was like having risotto, but without all the stirring.  I will totally try that again, with other rice dishes.

Ok, I'm on the hunt for a quick bread machine recipe to throw in the machine before it gets too late, something that will use up some of the more random stuff from the cupboard or fridge.  Will post back...

Oh, and also, did you know that Dollar Slice and I are now famous? 

We made it into the "best post I read on MMM forums today" thread for our witty exchange here.  :-)

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1918 on: November 14, 2017, 10:09:31 PM »
Update:  There is a very weird loaf of bread in my bread machine at the moment.  I think it will turn out tasty but ... *shrug* ... maybe not.

It's supposed to be a chocolate chip loaf - here's some of what I did: 

- Substituted a sample bottle of chocolate Boost for the milk called for in the recipe. 

- Broke up some cheap chocolate instead of chocolate chips - we ordered pizza for my birthday dinner a couple weeks ago, and the pizza chain was celebrating their 50th anniversary, so included a chocolate "pizza."  It was just basically chocolate in the shape of a pizza, and the chocolate wasn't that great so I hadn't eaten the rest of it.

- Didn't have quite enough of the cheap chocolate - could have opened a new package of chocolate chips, but instead, threw some frozen chocolate mint Girl Guide cookies into the machine - what can I say, both my mother and my brother each picked me up a couple boxes of cookies and I don't really have room for them all in my freezer!  (I also could have used some of the leftover Halloween candy, but let's not talk about just how much I overbought this year!)

- Adjusted the recipe for the amount of salt and sugar I thought was in the Boost, and multiplied all ingredients by 1.5 because it's a small recipe and larger loaves work better in this particular machine

- Crossed my fingers and hoped for the best.

Will let you know how it goes.  I have an idea for another fairly odd loaf to come another day...

Also, I have used up both dry coconut and coconut chips (fed them to the dog) and used up the white flour I had, then replaced it.

Updated but still incomplete list of targeted items to use:

One-offs, small amounts, and oddities:  dry coconut, coconut chips, hard margarine (for baking), bottle of chocolate flavour meal replacement (free sample), bottle of fruit punch (given out at a work function), jar of chutney

Spices and flavourings: dehydrated onion, maple and lemon flavour powders, taco seasoning pkgs, bean dip powder

Pantry staples that need to keep circulating for flavour and freshness:  new bag white flour, oatmeal, corn meal, white rice, brown rice, dried beans, olive oil, molasses, 10 9 pkgs of rice mix, 2 boxes of pasta, loose tea and "other" teas (mostly gifts)

Produce: bag of onions, potatoes, oranges, green tomatoes (some of which will hopefully ripen along the way!), 1 teeny tiny green pepper
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 10:17:42 PM by PJ »

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1919 on: November 15, 2017, 05:10:05 AM »
I finished the bag of corkscrew pasta to round out my lunches this week. I am down to a few bags of expired vermicelli and angel hair pastas (the unexpired were donated when the SO went low carb for our shared meals).

I finished off the canned pineapple with a weird chicken bowl using pineapple laksa peanut sauce. And the second half of the canned pumpkin from Halloween baking with a batch of muffins.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1920 on: November 15, 2017, 09:08:02 AM »
Used up some bags of prepacked food and made crepes. Now starting to eat down the fridge (we are going on a trip next week) and I think we'll have an empty fridge before we start. I like this look. Might need to buy some milk but that's about it.

Also working through freezer - used up frozen pizza and some rotis. It was stuffed and now there is space to move things around. Will use up two more packets from freezer today. These were my emergency rations, specially for the days when I'm too tired to cook or order takeout and my kid wants food NOW. I can whip a meal from these in five minutes with very less effort. I feel it's time to eat them down and rebuild the rations after our long trip.

ETA: our pantry is getting used up as well but not in the rate I'd like it to. Shows how much stuff we have in there.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 09:09:33 AM by firelight »

Zoot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1921 on: November 16, 2017, 08:36:35 AM »
I made some Anzac brownies using up some of our supply of oats, shredded coconut, and dark chocolate bars my mom foisted upon me.

Posting to follow/participate.  In the meantime, gotta say I love the comment above--I've heard of (and made) Anzac biscuits, but never Anzac brownies.  Off to the internet to research!  (Swick, if you're still reading this thread, feel free to share the recipe you're using!)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1922 on: November 16, 2017, 11:30:12 AM »
I have big plans for the olives this weekend! I'm going to make the tapenade & see how it comes out. If it works, will create a giant batch & use for gifts, per the great suggestions here.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1923 on: November 16, 2017, 07:03:11 PM »
I made some Anzac brownies using up some of our supply of oats, shredded coconut, and dark chocolate bars my mom foisted upon me.

Posting to follow/participate.  In the meantime, gotta say I love the comment above--I've heard of (and made) Anzac biscuits, but never Anzac brownies.  Off to the internet to research!  (Swick, if you're still reading this thread, feel free to share the recipe you're using!)

For me, the name Anzac brownie is bordering on sacrilege.

The term 'Anzac cookie' is banned here (Anzac is a protected term and 'cookie' is American, so the DVA will not allow anyone to distribute a product under that name), and brownie has the same connotations.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/food/eat/outrage-over-sydney-companys-vegan-anzac-cookie/news-story/f717dcc5e6852e098573431b7bfb5611

Anzac slice, on the other hand? Go for it.

Zoot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1924 on: November 17, 2017, 06:44:18 AM »

Of course I immediately went to The Googles upon reading the phrase "Anzac slice" because while I know those words individually in their American usage I have no idea what they mean in Australian usage.  :)  Here's the first recipe I found:

http://www.kidspot.com.au/kitchen/recipes/anzac-slice-246

These.  Look.  Awesome.  I am absolutely going to make these TONIGHT (even though my dishwasher is broken and I've sworn off most cooking and baking until it's fixed)!  Plus it gives me the excuse to go buy some golden syrup.  :)

I'm not familiar with the term "slice" as a baked good--looking at the recipe and the photo, I think it's something like what I'd call a "bar cookie" in American terms.  There are approximately a bajillion variants on the bar cookie theme--lemon bars are a common one, as are what I'd call a "Dolly Madison bar" but some call "magic bars."  Here's a typical recipe for a variant with oatmeal:

https://www.marthastewart.com/314652/oatmeal-bars

Tell me more about this "slice" thing--is it similar to the "bar cookie" I'm describing, or is it something different?  I have loved the Anzac biscuit recipe I happened upon nearly 20 years ago now, and I'm always eager to learn something new (especially if it helps me use up a bunch of pantry staples)!

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #1925 on: November 17, 2017, 02:07:45 PM »
A slice is in between a cake and a biscuit. Neither hard like a biscuit but not soft like cake typically. Sometimes it might have layers - see caramel slice. I think bars may be harder but prepared in a similar way.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1926 on: November 17, 2017, 03:52:05 PM »

For me, the name Anzac brownie is bordering on sacrilege.

The term 'Anzac cookie' is banned here (Anzac is a protected term and 'cookie' is American, so the DVA will not allow anyone to distribute a product under that name), and brownie has the same connotations.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/food/eat/outrage-over-sydney-companys-vegan-anzac-cookie/news-story/f717dcc5e6852e098573431b7bfb5611

Can confirm. These are awesome. Will gobble them down all year round if I could :)

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1927 on: November 17, 2017, 07:26:33 PM »
A slice is in between a cake and a biscuit. Neither hard like a biscuit but not soft like cake typically. Sometimes it might have layers - see caramel slice. I think bars may be harder but prepared in a similar way.

In Canada they would generally just be 'bars' or 'squares', though in NZ and Australia they are generally larger pieces than what you'd see here. Lemon square, Nanaimo bar, etc. The type of thing that you usually only see at bake sales or not too fussy coffee/bake shops.  I am a fan of the NZ ginger slice and one day I will risk trying to recreate them here.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1928 on: November 18, 2017, 12:12:33 AM »
I've been baking again.  I made pink bread.  :-)

Update:  There is a very weird loaf of bread in my bread machine at the moment.  I think it will turn out tasty but ... *shrug* ... maybe not.

It's supposed to be a chocolate chip loaf

...snip

- Crossed my fingers and hoped for the best.[/i]

Will let you know how it goes.  I have an idea for another fairly odd loaf to come another day...

The chocolate chip loaf had a nice flavour, but in making all my substitutions plus adjusting the size of the loaf, I obviously messed up the proportions.  It was very dense, and the centre slices were a bit doughy.  I've eaten most of it, just toasted it really well.  Was especially nice with the last of a package of cream cheese that I also needed to use up!  Tasty with peanut butter as well.

Anyway, undeterred, I started two more loaves with substitutions. 

One, supposed to be a cranberry apple loaf.  Used a bottle of fruit punch instead of the apple juice called for, a soft apple, and some chopped apricots sorted out from trail mix.  Haven't cut into it yet, but um, yeah, it's very pink!

Then, to use up the rest of the apricots and another soft apple and a couple of oranges left from a bag I mentioned ages ago, started an apricot loaf where I reduced the added liquid a lot, then chopped up the fruit and threw it in.  It's more fruit than flour!  But it seems to be cooking ok, from what I can see through the window of the bread machine lid, so we'll see.

Updated but still incomplete list of targeted items to use:

One-offs, small amounts, and oddities:  dry coconut, coconut chips, hard margarine (for baking), bottle of chocolate flavour meal replacement (free sample), bottle of fruit punch (given out at a work function), jar of chutney, bottle of butternut squash pasta sauce, chocolate pudding mix, dulse flakes

Spices and flavourings: dehydrated onion, maple and lemon flavour powders, taco seasoning pkgs, bean dip powder

Pantry staples that need to keep circulating for flavour and freshness:  new bag white flour, oatmeal, corn meal, white rice, brown rice, dried beans, olive oil, molasses, 10 9 pkgs of rice mix, 2 boxes of pasta, loose tea and "other" teas (mostly gifts), falafel mix, soya chunks, ramen noodles, vegetable oil

Produce: bag of onions, potatoes, oranges, green tomatoes (some of which will hopefully ripen along the way!), 1 teeny tiny green pepper

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1929 on: November 18, 2017, 09:26:25 AM »
We have again a stuffed freezer full of meat. We also have 3 portions of meat and a portion of fish in the fridge. And we have a few portions of scampi in the freezer. Thecfridge is full of clue cheese anf feta cheese. We have a lit of veggies in the fridge. So from now on I will only shop:
- saurkraut if it is on mega sale. This is usually the case in december. I will buy enough for the rest of the year.
- milk
- bread
- maybe an occasional fruit like clementines

No buying of meat, fish, cheese for dinner use or fresh veggies, until we have eaten what is in the house.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1930 on: November 18, 2017, 05:46:26 PM »
So happy - tried a green olive tapenade (thanks for the reco!) & used up all of my giant jar (25 oz) of olives. Also added in basil from the yard. It's delish. Kept one jar for the freezer, and froze the rest. It wasn't quite kicky enough for gifts, but I would definitely make it again. I didn't have capers, but would consider them for next time.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1931 on: November 21, 2017, 02:39:53 PM »
Made hummus yesterday, and was out of lemons. Subbed lime, and it tasted fine. Almost ruined it with a slip of the hand when measuring the cumin, but rescued it by scraping most of the cumin out, and adding more lime + tahini. Making the hummus used up: 1 can of garbanzo beans, 1/4 cup of tahini (almost gone) + 4 small limes. (+ spices)

Zoot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1932 on: November 21, 2017, 03:04:46 PM »

Of course I immediately went to The Googles upon reading the phrase "Anzac slice" because while I know those words individually in their American usage I have no idea what they mean in Australian usage.  :)  Here's the first recipe I found:

http://www.kidspot.com.au/kitchen/recipes/anzac-slice-246

These.  Look.  Awesome.  I am absolutely going to make these TONIGHT (even though my dishwasher is broken and I've sworn off most cooking and baking until it's fixed)!  Plus it gives me the excuse to go buy some golden syrup.  :)

Just wanted to report back to say that these were as awesome as they looked.  :)

I managed to find golden syrup at Cost Plus World Market (although I'm told that some US grocery chains carry it in the international foods section, none of the ones I went to near me had it).  I've cooked with it before (when I made Anzac biscuits years ago), but had forgotten how yummy it is.  There was a pancake syrup variant next to the "regular" stuff, and I almost bought it--after tasting the regular kind, I am now imagining how tasty it would be on pancakes.

Thanks for the education on Anzac slice--this one is destined to become a household staple!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1933 on: November 21, 2017, 10:00:03 PM »
Finally used up the whey protein powder and gelatin!  I've been slipping it into the oatmeal I've been having for breakfast at work the last several weeks.  Thought I'd never see the end of that stuff.

And I actually used up the coconut milk I overbought at CostCo as well, thanks to the new oatmeal habit.

Tonight I did a ragu using some of the last lingering garden tomatoes and one of several spaghetti squash from the garden.  My husband used to be a professed squash hater, but I've managed to get him eating it.  Maybe in a few years he might even confess that he likes the stuff.

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #1934 on: November 22, 2017, 09:36:52 AM »
My fridge is starting to look pretty bare bones.  My freezer has a few bags of frozen cut veggies and a bag of frozen cut watermelon (used with fresh watermelon to blend into a slushy)

A couple nights ago, I looked at some spaghetti I needed to get rid of.  Also found a can of chicken broth and said we are eating chicken noodle soup tonight! (used the last of my frozen chicken tenderloins) Actually didn't turn out very bad I must say so myself. 

Not bad at all for just making stuff up, haha

Now I just need to use my chickpeas for something.  I am thinking of making a chickpea, turmeric, ginger, curry, veggie, and onion puree/soup. 

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1935 on: November 22, 2017, 12:16:48 PM »
My fridge is starting to look pretty bare bones.  My freezer has a few bags of frozen cut veggies and a bag of frozen cut watermelon (used with fresh watermelon to blend into a slushy)

A couple nights ago, I looked at some spaghetti I needed to get rid of.  Also found a can of chicken broth and said we are eating chicken noodle soup tonight! (used the last of my frozen chicken tenderloins) Actually didn't turn out very bad I must say so myself. 

Now I just need to use my chickpeas for something. I am thinking of making a chickpea, turmeric, ginger, curry, veggie, and onion puree/soup.

How about using the chickpeas for hummus? This is my favorite recipe - http://www.inspiredtaste.net/15938/easy-and-smooth-hummus-recipe/

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #1936 on: November 22, 2017, 12:37:59 PM »

Now I just need to use my chickpeas for something. I am thinking of making a chickpea, turmeric, ginger, curry, veggie, and onion puree/soup.

How about using the chickpeas for hummus? This is my favorite recipe - http://www.inspiredtaste.net/15938/easy-and-smooth-hummus-recipe/

Thanks!
Lemon, garlic, toasted sesame paste (tahini), grape seed oil, and olive oil it is!  Will be fun playing around with this. 

ACyclist

• Bristles
« Reply #1937 on: November 23, 2017, 09:48:03 AM »
I used up a good portion of some oldish coconut sugar.  I bought it last year, and didn't love it.  It made a decent pound cake for my Thanksgiving offering at a party we will attend today.

Also, I made some pizza dough with a 1/2 packet of yeast.  Used a slow rise, so I needed far less yeast. 

Killing it.  We slashed our grocery budget this month.  $100 less, if it all works out by the 31st.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1938 on: November 23, 2017, 01:01:22 PM »
Made a pumpkin soup today, started with onions, garlic and ginger. Added equal portions of pumpkin, carrots and yellow split peas. Seasoned with random chicken broth like spice packet. Added some milk. Puréed it all.  Turned out so delicious.  Love the peas for added protein!  I've always enjoyed pumpkin soup but felt I wasn't getting a full meal from it.  This might make the difference.

Looking for interesting buckwheat recipes and flavor pairings.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1939 on: November 23, 2017, 01:50:11 PM »

Ive been on a bit of a hiatus, but getting back into the forum swing of things :) Here is the recipe: http://www.christinamarsigliese.com/2013/01/anzac-brownies.html

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1940 on: November 23, 2017, 01:57:23 PM »

Thanks!
Lemon, garlic, toasted sesame paste (tahini), grape seed oil, and olive oil it is!  Will be fun playing around with this.

It's a yummy recipe. I don't bother removing the peel of the garbanzo beans, and have successfully subbed lime juice for the lemon juice. Enjoy!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1941 on: November 24, 2017, 07:23:29 AM »
So annoyed. Used the stuffing mix I've been trying to clear out of my pantry in our Thanksgiving stuffing yesterday, & it tasted "off". Had to throw out the entire thing (after I'd made it & wasted other ingredients). Plus, I love stuffing & didn't get any on Thanksgiving. *sad tears*

The rest of the Thanksgiving meal was fabulous, and both of my kids tried things they've never tried before, so it was a huge success. On the other hand, my husband picked up a pomegranate vinegar for his special (delicious) squash & kale salad. So, there goes another (semi random) item into the pantry. ;-)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1942 on: November 24, 2017, 09:51:11 AM »
Today we are eating a bag of Indonesian spices that have bern in the cupboard sinds start 2017. About time!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1943 on: November 25, 2017, 04:51:58 PM »
-Finished off the last of the bread crumbs
-Inventoried our entire freezer, organized all of the food, & discovered where we have overages, etc. This will help with purchasing & planning tremendously!
-Ate a semi-sketchy looking mandarin orange. Tasted fine.

mousebandit

• Bristles
« Reply #1944 on: November 25, 2017, 05:53:12 PM »
I need to be following and joining!  I have a simply ridiculous amount of food stuffed into the pantry, fridge, freezer, and big freezer, in addition the "official" food storage out in the pump house.  Tomorrow I will do some inventorying and come up with a list of things to use and remember!  Off hand, in the pantry I know I know I've got many cans of enchilada sauce needing to be used, a couple bottles of agave syrup, oodles of molasses, a jar of capers, and shelves and shelves of more typical stuff. 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1945 on: November 26, 2017, 04:27:49 AM »
For the last week I didn`t buy new meat or fish. We finished the meat in the fridge. From now on we will need to empty the stuffed freezer and the cheeses in the fridge. I can only buy veggies, milk and bread. This will probably last until the 22 of December when we will travel away.
Last week I was home along and ate some leftover portions from the freezer. Last night we ate a portionof leftover sweet mashed potatoe with coconut milk (great combination of tastes by the way).

I was in the mood for a snack and opened a very old bag of dried sweetcorn and made popcorn. I thought I took very little corn, but was shocked by the volumn, as I don`t make this often. So I guess I will be eating popcorn until that whole bag is popped and eaten. And then I won`t buy new. DH doesn`t tolerate corn very well, so I need to eat it alone or invite guests.

DH finished a small bag of dried slices of ham that I bought in Sweden this summer as hiking food. We haven`t been hiking since and the bag was taking up space in the fridge. Good to be rid of it.

Yesterday I made a tarte. Recipe said to cover the bottom layer with aluminium foil and cover with dried beans or peas. I happened to have an old, unused pack of dried peas. Put them on the bottom layer of tarte and baked. But I forgot the aluminium foil. The peas are now very fatty and full of pieces of cake. I trhew them away. Finally rid of something I wouldn`t prepare anyway.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1946 on: November 26, 2017, 07:40:47 PM »
Made bolognese last night - used up an onion, some garlic, half a jar of passata from the freezer and half a bottle of red wine.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1947 on: November 27, 2017, 10:27:09 AM »
Made a turkey chowder yesterday & it basically cleaned out the fridge!
-Used turkey from Thanksgiving
-Used broth I made from turkey carcass
-Used roasted potatoes/onions that I baked the turkey on (no roasting pan)
-Used celery leftover from the stuffing
-Used the remainder of the whipping cream (pre whipped/sweetened) from the pie

Chowder was delicious -highly recommend as a way to use up all of those leftovers! http://allrecipes.com/recipe/245091/turkey-potato-chowder-recipe/

Made it as is, but skipped the bacon (didn't have any on hand)

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1948 on: November 27, 2017, 04:06:16 PM »
So annoyed. Used the stuffing mix I've been trying to clear out of my pantry in our Thanksgiving stuffing yesterday, & it tasted "off". Had to throw out the entire thing (after I'd made it & wasted other ingredients). Plus, I love stuffing & didn't get any on Thanksgiving. *sad tears*

The rest of the Thanksgiving meal was fabulous, and both of my kids tried things they've never tried before, so it was a huge success. On the other hand, my husband picked up a pomegranate vinegar for his special (delicious) squash & kale salad. So, there goes another (semi random) item into the pantry. ;-)

https://www.chowhound.com/post/ideas-pomegranate-vinegar-salad-dressing-962743?page=2

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1949 on: November 27, 2017, 05:36:00 PM »

https://www.chowhound.com/post/ideas-pomegranate-vinegar-salad-dressing-962743?page=2

Delish ideas - thanks!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!