Author Topic: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2  (Read 1183437 times)

Nickels Dimes Quarters

• Stubble
    • Nickels, Dimes & Quarters ~ It All Adds Up
Re: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2
« Reply #550 on: July 12, 2015, 04:33:03 PM »
I'm working on the pantry and freezer (just small above refrigerator) because I tend to buy extras and freeze -- then forget about an ingredient her or there that gets tucked away. I did organize it mid-week and there are several protein options, including chicken, bacon and burgers. My pantry is getting better, we're getting through the soups and canned vegetables. There are some boxed meals that I know we won't eat, so I will get them donated before they expire.

Saving money is mostly about planning...thinking ahead and defrosting something shouldn't feel like rocket science. Yet, many days it does.

NDQ

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #551 on: July 12, 2015, 06:09:11 PM »
Having a dinner party on Tuesday night and am planning on making everything from the freezer/pantry except for salad greens which will come in our CSA.

Oxtail Ragu - Oxtails from the freezer, tomatoes, 1/2 bottle of opened wine, tomato paste, bullion from the pantry.

Fresh Pasta - Semolina, fresh herbs from the garden.

Ranch salad dressing - fresh and dried herbs.

Something for dessert made from pantry staples

jrubin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #552 on: July 12, 2015, 06:43:56 PM »
Cleaned out the pantry and spice cabinets over the weekend. Now at least I know what is there. And tossed some old, circa 2001 expiry spices, OMG. Defrosted and ate some steaks for dinner. Also defrosted a pork roast for tomorrow. Used up leftover taco meat, chips and  cheese for the DS12's lunch today. Bought two gallons of milk and three green peppers so far. Much smaller grocery bill than the usual $160. Feeling good about the coming weeks :)

Nancy

« Reply #553 on: July 15, 2015, 06:56:44 AM »
Made Mark Bittman's curried greens with crushed tomato and garbanzo beans last night. I used up 1.5lbs of collard, kale, and broccoli greens from my garden. Phew! I feel relieved. Also used up the dry garbanzos that I had cooked/frozen, a can of crushed tomatoes, and the rest of a red onion. It made a lot of food, so I froze it. Future me will be very thankful.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #554 on: July 15, 2015, 07:25:54 AM »
Jar of salsa, canned black beans, plus fresh cilantro, onion, and lots of lime juice.  And a handful of chicken for DH.  Not especially inspired, but it got rid of half a jar of salsa, 2 cans of beans, lime juice from my freezer, and some rice. 

Tonight it will be pancakes, which will hopefully use up the bisquick and syrup. 

Two months until we move out. 

DeltaBond

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #555 on: July 15, 2015, 08:31:55 AM »
I'm gonna try this, this sounds really helpful.  Every time I go to the grocery store I feel like a chump.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #556 on: July 15, 2015, 06:52:23 PM »
Tossed a small freezer containerful of leftover fried peppers, onions, and potatoes into tonight's curry.

MoustacheKnittah

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #557 on: July 16, 2015, 12:20:54 PM »
Looking in the cupboards I think it's time to make granola. I have end bits of coconut flakes and raisins. Just scrubbed the kitchen so I'm torn: revel in how nice it is to cook in a very clean kitchen or hold off on a big cook so I don't make a mess. What nice problems to have!

LOL! Granola is the worst, especially if you have a gas stove and it scatters everywhere under the grates when you stir the pans. Ha.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #558 on: July 16, 2015, 12:26:38 PM »
Looking in the cupboards I think it's time to make granola. I have end bits of coconut flakes and raisins. Just scrubbed the kitchen so I'm torn: revel in how nice it is to cook in a very clean kitchen or hold off on a big cook so I don't make a mess. What nice problems to have!

LOL! Granola is the worst, especially if you have a gas stove and it scatters everywhere under the grates when you stir the pans. Ha.

No Granola mess EVER again! Your welcome :)
http://www.bojongourmet.com/2010/06/stolen-granola.html

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #559 on: July 28, 2015, 01:17:52 PM »
The challenge continues in our home.  The freezer is getting full again!

Used up approximately 2 cups frozen fresh strawberries and a cup of almond milk to make "milkshakes" last night.

I'll make a low carb pie this week and use up some ground almonds, a can of evap milk and a can of pumpkin.

I took out leftover nacho sausage soup from the freezer last night.  I'll warm it up tomorrow night and serve it with homemade low carb tortilla chips.

I cleaned out the pantry last week and reorganized it to fit a Sam's Club haul.  Ended up tossing two envelopes of expired Crystal Light, some reallllly old tea, and about 2 TBS rock hard brown sugar.  Not too bad.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #560 on: July 29, 2015, 05:57:13 PM »
I don't hav very much food in the house, but hav decided to eat it up anyway . made lentils/quinoa/spinach together with cayenne pepper, Himalayan salt, and apple cider vinegar. Delicious ( and really healthy ).
Giving a big box of green tea and some chamomile tea to my fiancé ( we live apart ) & a bag of peanuts.
Drinking up my coffee with cinnamon and soymilk. And my huge box of black tea.

bsmith

• Stubble
« Reply #561 on: July 29, 2015, 07:57:36 PM »
We really need to do this. There's a crapton of canned fruit in there. In case of apocalypse, we won't get scurvy.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #562 on: July 29, 2015, 08:18:39 PM »
We really need to do this. There's a crapton of canned fruit in there. In case of apocalypse, we won't get scurvy.

If you eat it all up, what will you do to avoid scurvy during apocalypse?? ;) Time for some canned fruit recipes I suppose. There's some sort of jello/creme dessert with canned fruit that's quite delicious. Don't know the details.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #563 on: July 29, 2015, 08:39:01 PM »

If you eat it all up, what will you do to avoid scurvy during apocalypse?? ;) Time for some canned fruit recipes I suppose. There's some sort of jello/creme dessert with canned fruit that's quite delicious. Don't know the details.

If you make a cobbler with canned fruit, no one can tell the difference (don't tell).

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #564 on: July 29, 2015, 08:42:44 PM »
I'm going to revive this challenge ... "Ugh, we have to eat salmon yet again."
Join me, or not, on this less-than-9-month culinary adventure!  I just wanted to have an external way to be accountable when I get sick of eating the same two base proteins over and over again, and to set a goal which I can update once in a while so that it stays in my mind.

God, if I could have the problem of "Ugh, we have to eat salmon yet again...." *envy!*
I'd LOVE IT if I were able to trade you some awesome duck eggs for salmon!!!

Ysera

• Stubble
« Reply #565 on: July 30, 2015, 03:08:45 AM »
God, if I could have the problem of "Ugh, we have to eat salmon yet again...." *envy!*
I'd LOVE IT if I were able to trade you some awesome duck eggs for salmon!!!

I would trade you! I don't think I've ever tried a duck egg.

I made two baked salmon filets today. The freezer burned one went to the dogs. Happy, happy dogs.

I also made "garbage soup" today. Basically any slightly sad looking veggies gets thrown into the Instant Pot with a little meat and lots of spices. Tonight it included carrots, celery, onions, cabbage, zucchini, potatoes, and corn with a frozen pork chop and some frozen lima beans that were a little too hard steamed. The Instant Pot worked its magic yet again! It turned out great and I can snack on it for days.

I need to keep cleaning out the freezer because my hubby bought half a pig from a coworker, which will be, erm, processed in September. Tonight's pork came from the same farm.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #566 on: July 30, 2015, 04:53:26 AM »
Lots of space in our freezer now, I'm very pleased!

I'm also working on using up ground coffee which has been received as gifts. Can't wait for all the little jars and tins to be gone.

I have noticed I'm running out of a few things, but I've always seemed to find something to work as a substitute.

GardenFun

• Bristles
« Reply #567 on: July 30, 2015, 08:17:03 AM »
Lamb shank hiding in the freezer for a year has been consumed, along with the  nearly empty box of couscous. 
All canned tomatoes from last year's harvest have been consumed. 
Big clearance box of Grape Nuts is gone - made into a batch of cheater granola for morning yogurt. 

bsmith

• Stubble
« Reply #568 on: July 31, 2015, 07:35:04 AM »
Quote from: riverffashion on July 29, 2015, 08:18:39 PM

Quote from: bsmith on July 29, 2015, 07:57:36 PM

If you make a cobbler with canned fruit, no one can tell the difference (don't tell).

Spouse loves peaches, so I guess we could make a peach cobbler. I'm probably the only person in Texas who doesn't like peaches, though. Other fruit in there is stuff like pears and pineapple - not your traditional cobbler fruits, but it might be good. I do like pears.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #569 on: July 31, 2015, 06:25:56 PM »

Spouse loves peaches, so I guess we could make a peach cobbler. I'm probably the only person in Texas who doesn't like peaches, though. Other fruit in there is stuff like pears and pineapple - not your traditional cobbler fruits, but it might be good. I do like pears.

If you do the pears, add lots of cinnamon and/or lemon or lime juice to bump up the flavor. I'd make a crisp with pears, personally, rather than a cobbler. I'd think the biscuity part of a cobbler might overwhelm them.

Pineapple is great cooked with ham. Here's a quick lazy meal: cook 1cup couscous, dice up 1/2 to 1cup ham (or spam if you're really into pantry cooking), add a big can of chunked or crushed pineapple (or cut rings up into bite-sized pieces), heat through. If it seems bland, add plain yellow mustard to taste (I usually do 2-4 tablespoons), and serve.
Bonus points if you remember to use the pinapple juice as part of the cooking liquid for the couscous, but just drain the can if you don't.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 06:32:43 PM by Rural »

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #570 on: July 31, 2015, 07:14:22 PM »

If you do the pears, add lots of cinnamon and/or lemon or lime juice to bump up the flavor. I'd make a crisp with pears, personally, rather than a cobbler. I'd think the biscuity part of a cobbler might overwhelm them.

Pineapple is great cooked with ham. Here's a quick lazy meal: cook 1cup couscous, dice up 1/2 to 1cup ham (or spam if you're really into pantry cooking), add a big can of chunked or crushed pineapple (or cut rings up into bite-sized pieces), heat through. If it seems bland, add plain yellow mustard to taste (I usually do 2-4 tablespoons), and serve.
Bonus points if you remember to use the pinapple juice as part of the cooking liquid for the couscous, but just drain the can if you don't.

Pineapple is also excellent on the grill ,  or juiced, or blended into a smoothie for the sweetening effect, or in a fuit salad. Pineapple upsidedown cake is good, but I've never made it.

Anje

• Stubble
« Reply #571 on: August 03, 2015, 06:59:34 AM »
End of summer is always "eat all the old stuff" time in my house. Time to make room for all the goodies of fall. 

Yesterday made soup from 3 packs of frozen pumpkin, some stockcubes and an onion that had started to go off. Had to buy a can of coconut milk, but that was it.
Today will make Cassoulet from stock, beans, chicken and sausage, all from the freezer. Need tomatoes to make it happen, but all in all I feel the project is starting off with a pang. Also will make milkshake from a banana I froze before going on holiday. As a snack I'll eat some of the pistachioes I found in my kitchen. For some reason I have left them there for 4-5 months, even though I love pistashioes.

Next I will make several portions of "emergency oatmeals" to stack in my desk at work. A container of ready mixed quick oat, salt, sugar, spices, nuts and dried fruit. Will stay good for weeks (or months) and so handy for those days I forget to bring lunch, or get peckish in the afternoon. Add hot water, let sit - eat.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #572 on: August 03, 2015, 08:07:43 AM »
End of summer is always "eat all the old stuff" time in my house. Time to make room for all the goodies of fall. 

Yesterday made soup from 3 packs of frozen pumpkin, some stockcubes and an onion that had started to go off. Had to buy a can of coconut milk, but that was it.
Today will make Cassoulet from stock, beans, chicken and sausage, all from the freezer. Need tomatoes to make it happen, but all in all I feel the project is starting off with a pang. Also will make milkshake from a banana I froze before going on holiday. As a snack I'll eat some of the pistachioes I found in my kitchen. For some reason I have left them there for 4-5 months, even though I love pistashioes.

Next I will make several portions of "emergency oatmeals" to stack in my desk at work. A container of ready mixed quick oat, salt, sugar, spices, nuts and dried fruit. Will stay good for weeks (or months) and so handy for those days I forget to bring lunch, or get peckish in the afternoon. Add hot water, let sit - eat.

Fantastic use of your stock!

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #573 on: August 03, 2015, 08:14:29 AM »
My fiancé and I are going camping for a couple days at the beach nearby and I am cooking up the remaining lentils and quinoa to bring . also the remaining coffee. A baggie of salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Two apples from work and tons of chopped veggies from my parents house the other day :) . filled a gallon bottle I have with water.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #574 on: August 03, 2015, 10:11:28 AM »
Saturday I made a pumpkin pie to bring to a BBQ and used up the can of evaporated milk with a Best Buy date of next week and a can of pumpkin.

Last night we ate the leftover soup put in the freezer last October.  I also served the last of some fresh strawberries and sliced cucumber.  The last of the lime went into my ice water.  :D

Tonight's slow cooker ribs used up the rest of a bottle of BBQ sauce as well as a bit of Worcestershire.

seemsright

• Bristles
« Reply #575 on: August 03, 2015, 01:18:53 PM »
I am working on using up all of that random that ends up in the door of the frig.

Last night I took some of the CSA veggies. Garlic, onion and green beans Chopped them all up and added them to a pan with a bit of sesame oil cooked them up and took some soy sauce, and miso paste mixed with a bit of water to make a sauce and poured over the top of the veggies and cooked it down for a bit and served with rice and kimchi...it was so damn good. I ate the leftovers for lunch.

I still have tons of miso and curry paste to use up. And tons of mustard. So much mustard. But slowly I will get though it all. It took us nearly 2 years to get though our hot sauce hoard.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #576 on: August 04, 2015, 06:09:29 AM »
One month until the pack out move that can send pantry items, and 6 weeks from the day everything else gets given away. 

My goal is to only buy produce, milk, and bread, and as little as possible of both.  I had a hamburger for breakfast, which shows that while I have plenty of food, I need to push myself a bit to resist the urge to buy the "right" food.  No cereal when I have pasta and canned sauce, and frozen homemade soup in the freezer.  Hot soup when it is 98 with no A/C isn't ideal, but it works my badassity muscles a bit.   

We'll definitely be tossing a lot of half used condiments, but I don't see any other option.  I'll use up mayo on a couple pastas salads (which will dispatch some frozen veggies as well), but most of the rest of it will sadly go to waste. 

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #577 on: August 04, 2015, 07:22:50 AM »
No cereal when I have pasta and canned sauce, and frozen homemade soup in the freezer.  Hot soup when it is 98 with no A/C isn't ideal, but it works my badassity muscles a bit.   

For the soups, some pureed veggie soups are actually quite good a bit chilled. For thinner broth soups, it's similar to the Japanese standard of miso soup in the morning - surprisingly yummy once you get over the cultural bias.

Anje

• Stubble
« Reply #578 on: August 04, 2015, 04:11:58 PM »
Fantastic use of your stock!
Thank you.

Tomorrow I'll make black bean soup. Had to buy beans, but get to use even more stock from the freezer,  a pepper that's been sitting in the fridge since before I left for holiday and some canned tomatoes.

Then it's on to pasta. I have quite a lot of pasta and rice...

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #579 on: August 06, 2015, 08:29:36 AM »
Had some quinoa and roasted veg for lunch with had been languishing in the freezer for months. Texture wasn't great, but oh, well, food is food.

Bought a large loaf of bread early in the week and haven't eaten much, so planning bacon sandwiches for dinner to use it up! Yum yum.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #580 on: August 06, 2015, 12:50:02 PM »
Last night I made a ground turkey meatloaf which took care of the last tiny bit of Dijon mustard hanging out in the fridge door.  It also used a leftover half bag of plain pork rinds as a binder.  Twice baked cauliflower (think twice baked potatoes only with cauliflower) used up the last of the bacon (Wah, LOL) and cheddar.

I also made bread which used the rest of last year's zucchini harvest, and 2 sad bananas tossed in the freezer in the spring.

I love this thread.  :D

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #581 on: August 06, 2015, 07:21:06 PM »
I didn't officially join this thread, but I have been semi following along and also eating down my food since the spring when I discovered MMM.  I am SINK, so there is no one to blame but me for the stockpiling of food.  Well, I do blame the temptations that Costco fills their aisles with, but still my fault. 

My fridge is now bare bones for at least a month, and as if by magic, I haven't wasted a bit of food due to only putting into it what I know I can reasonably eat.  I am now comfortable letting staples run out, no milk and eggs for a week?  No biggie, I will just eat something else.  I used to throw out spoiled milk, yogourt, eggs etc. on a regular  basis. 

One epiphany that I have had is that my issues lies with the fact that although I love cooking, I hate cooking on weeknights.  My deep freezer is finally getting bare, but I have visions of filling it back up again in the fall with MEALS, instead of INGREDIENTS.  So, I have rounded up a ton of slow cooker and once a month cooking recipes and I will start later on this month putting this plan in place.  I already do this with lasagne, so the concept should work out for me.  Silly really that I haven't done this in the past. 

Anje

• Stubble
« Reply #582 on: August 07, 2015, 02:27:22 AM »
Several portions of black bean soup in freezer. I ate it with quesedillas made with cheese about to go off, tortillas from the pantry and some frosen pre-cooked chicken. Also have started eating jam. From last fall. Need to eat before I can make more, and the homemade stuff is really good.

I struggle with homemade food and quantities. A small pot of jam is as much work as a big pot of jam. But I still need to work on making less of everything so that I'm not stuck with provisions for over a year when I know full well that berries ripen every 12 months. Ah, well.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #583 on: August 07, 2015, 05:44:42 AM »
Several portions of black bean soup in freezer. I ate it with quesedillas made with cheese about to go off, tortillas from the pantry and some frosen pre-cooked chicken. Also have started eating jam. From last fall. Need to eat before I can make more, and the homemade stuff is really good.

I struggle with homemade food and quantities. A small pot of jam is as much work as a big pot of jam. But I still need to work on making less of everything so that I'm not stuck with provisions for over a year when I know full well that berries ripen every 12 months. Ah, well.

You could always make jam only every two years; unopened jam keeps that long easily. If you have free berries the year in between, freeze for baking, smoothies, sauces, etc. Though all my frozen strawberries seem to be going into yogurt....

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #584 on: August 07, 2015, 08:45:00 AM »

Jam is an excellent gift. For just about any occasion

Nancy

« Reply #585 on: August 07, 2015, 07:48:42 PM »
Made zucchini muffins (a friend gave me the zukes from his farm share) that used up date puree, frozen apple sauce, 2 eggs, and some of the whole wheat flour. Breakfast is set for a while. Yum!

My husband made slow cooker chicken and root vegetable stew with rutabaga from the garden, and the rest of the celery, tomato paste, potatoes, onion, chicken stock, and free farm share carrots. Phew!

Edit: I also finished eating the curried greens with garbanzos that I made/froze in July. It was just as delightful.  Made some space in the freezer for the stew!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 07:52:02 PM by Nancy »

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #586 on: August 07, 2015, 08:39:55 PM »
Using up some pinto beans and onion I had chopped and stashed in the freezer, by making baked beans for the first time ever.

Savoury muffins to use up self raising flour and fetta.

Managed to use up all our almonds and cashews in a batch of protein balls.

Trying very hard to clear as much as possible out before we move house - four days to eat it all! Well, realistically, much of what I'm doing is converting non- shelf stable ingredients into shelf stable meals and snacks.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #587 on: August 07, 2015, 08:49:23 PM »
Using up some pinto beans and onion I had chopped and stashed in the freezer, by making baked beans for the first time ever.

Savoury muffins to use up self raising flour and fetta.

Managed to use up all our almonds and cashews in a batch of protein balls.

Trying very hard to clear as much as possible out before we move house - four days to eat it all! Well, realistically, much of what I'm doing is converting non- shelf stable ingredients into shelf stable meals and snacks.

Moving is always great motivation:)

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #588 on: August 07, 2015, 08:54:06 PM »
I'm actually just about everything I had- except I'm still going thru the tea and cinnamon ( which I love together ) & the cayenne. Other than that I'm done. So I purchased a 1lb. Each of quinoa & lentils, some spinach & a bag of carrots and cooked some of them all together, with a little cayenne & plan to eat this until I'm out. I don't mind eating the same healthy foods for a few days at all. When I'm out, I get something a little different ( different vegetables mostly ) .

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #589 on: August 09, 2015, 08:58:04 AM »
Used up both the peanut better and jelly today. 

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #590 on: August 09, 2015, 10:58:04 AM »
I would like to join!

My husband and I moved out of Alaska for the first time several years ago and now live on the "Wet Coast," where winter rain and wind storms mean lots of downed trees and branches and occasional power outages. I worry about my frozen goods during these outages, so I think eating down my frozen stores to a reasonable amount is a good idea. I have more than enough shelf stable goods for emergency stores.

In particular, I have a chest freezer full of salmon I have been working away at for a month or so now. Both my parents and in-laws send it down from time to time, and until recently I mostly ignored it since my husband never asks for it. The hubby and I grew up in Alaska, so we've eaten a lot of salmon over the years and it's not really exciting food anymore, however healthy. Some of it is smoked, but unfortunately their recipe is a little strong for my taste. We've given some away and traded some for grass fed beef, which was awesome. I found a few freezer burned regular fillets, so I baked those and my dogs feasted on them for several meals.

I'm not terribly fond of most salmon recipes, but I discovered I like salmon salad as well as I like tuna salad. My husband loves it, and he typically likes salmon even less than I do. So needless to say, it has been a non-stop salmon salad bonanza at the Mo household. I've also found that I can "cut" the smoked fillets with canned salmon, unsmoked filets, or even canned tuna and it balances the flavor nicely.

Cheers!

If you haven't used all of the smoked salmon yet, it is very tasty with a creamy sauce and pasta. There are loads of different recipes out there, but I usually just bring cream to boiling, add lemon juice and some seasoning, maybe some vegs, add salmon (smoked or unsmoked), stir and serve. The cream and cooking remove the strongest smoke flavour.

We have recently moved, but with the stash we brought, what we have bought, and gifts recieved, there is enough to last for a long time. I want to make room for the good deals on mutton that will come in october, so we should be eating from the stash. To keep it simple, we have made a dinner list of simple meals that we know we will cook and eat:
-pancakes
-reindeer lasagna
-tortellinis
-deer tacos
-pizzas with different leftovers
-ham and maccaroni casserole
-wok with pork
-springrolls
-nuggets
-schnitzels
-chili con moose
-porridge (rice, oatmeal...)
-fish filets with creamy sauce
-pytt-i-panne (hash)
-tuna pasta
-cauliflower soup
-tomato soup
-reindeer stew

My biggest challenge is a pound of frozen whale meat. I want to make some sort of stew, to be sure to cover any taste of cod liver oil. But maybe a wok with plenty of chili could be an idea? If it was fresh, I would have just boiled it with plenty of salt and blubber, but this has been frozen for some months.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #591 on: August 09, 2015, 11:16:30 AM »
I would like to join!

My husband and I moved out of Alaska for the first time several years ago and now live on the "Wet Coast," where winter rain and wind storms mean lots of downed trees and branches and occasional power outages. I worry about my frozen goods during these outages, so I think eating down my frozen stores to a reasonable amount is a good idea. I have more than enough shelf stable goods for emergency stores.

In particular, I have a chest freezer full of salmon I have been working away at for a month or so now. Both my parents and in-laws send it down from time to time, and until recently I mostly ignored it since my husband never asks for it. The hubby and I grew up in Alaska, so we've eaten a lot of salmon over the years and it's not really exciting food anymore, however healthy. Some of it is smoked, but unfortunately their recipe is a little strong for my taste. We've given some away and traded some for grass fed beef, which was awesome. I found a few freezer burned regular fillets, so I baked those and my dogs feasted on them for several meals.

I'm not terribly fond of most salmon recipes, but I discovered I like salmon salad as well as I like tuna salad. My husband loves it, and he typically likes salmon even less than I do. So needless to say, it has been a non-stop salmon salad bonanza at the Mo household. I've also found that I can "cut" the smoked fillets with canned salmon, unsmoked filets, or even canned tuna and it balances the flavor nicely.

Cheers!

If you haven't used all of the smoked salmon yet, it is very tasty with a creamy sauce and pasta. There are loads of different recipes out there, but I usually just bring cream to boiling, add lemon juice and some seasoning, maybe some vegs, add salmon (smoked or unsmoked), stir and serve. The cream and cooking remove the strongest smoke flavour.

We have recently moved, but with the stash we brought, what we have bought, and gifts recieved, there is enough to last for a long time. I want to make room for the good deals on mutton that will come in october, so we should be eating from the stash. To keep it simple, we have made a dinner list of simple meals that we know we will cook and eat:
-pancakes
-reindeer lasagna
-tortellinis
-deer tacos
-wok with pork
-springrolls
-nuggets
-schnitzels
-chili con moose
-pytt-i-panne (hash)
-tuna pasta
-cauliflower soup
-tomato soup
-reindeer stew

My biggest challenge is a pound of frozen whale meat. I want to make some sort of stew, to be sure to cover any taste of cod liver oil. But maybe a wok with plenty of chili could be an idea? If it was fresh, I would have just boiled it with plenty of salt and blubber, but this has been frozen for some months.

Hav to ask: what is reindeer lasagna?
Also, whale meat? That's a new one . where do you live, or how/why?

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #592 on: August 09, 2015, 11:40:40 AM »
I would like to join!

Cheers!

-pancakes
-reindeer lasagna
-tortellinis
-deer tacos
-wok with pork
-springrolls
-nuggets
-schnitzels
-chili con moose
-pytt-i-panne (hash)
-tuna pasta
-cauliflower soup
-tomato soup
-reindeer stew

The why is because we prefer using wild animals when cooking meat. We believe that puts less pressure on the environment (feeding animals with food humans could eat, vs. animals making use of stuff we can't eat), and that the wild animals live better lives than the ones on mega farms. My father hunts reindeer, deer and moose, and fishes. I get whale meat from family in the Faroes and Norway, both places it is hunted as humanly as possible, from sustainable populations (pilot and minke whale, respectively). http://www.whaling.fo/ http://www.fisheries.no/ecosystems-and-stocks/marine_stocks/mammals/whales/whaling/#.VceP1fk0PVo

We also prefer modern cooking to the old (very bland) recipes. Reindeer lasagna is normal lasagna, with reindeer meat instead of beef.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #593 on: August 09, 2015, 01:46:28 PM »
I would like to join!

Cheers!

-pancakes
-reindeer lasagna
-tortellinis
-deer tacos
-wok with pork
-springrolls
-nuggets
-schnitzels
-chili con moose
-pytt-i-panne (hash)
-tuna pasta
-cauliflower soup
-tomato soup
-reindeer stew

The why is because we prefer using wild animals when cooking meat. We believe that puts less pressure on the environment (feeding animals with food humans could eat, vs. animals making use of stuff we can't eat), and that the wild animals live better lives than the ones on mega farms. My father hunts reindeer, deer and moose, and fishes. I get whale meat from family in the Faroes and Norway, both places it is hunted as humanly as possible, from sustainable populations (pilot and minke whale, respectively). http://www.whaling.fo/ http://www.fisheries.no/ecosystems-and-stocks/marine_stocks/mammals/whales/whaling/#.VceP1fk0PVo

We also prefer modern cooking to the old (very bland) recipes. Reindeer lasagna is normal lasagna, with reindeer meat instead of beef.

Got it. Excellent. When I was a baby and we lived in the mountains, my dad would hunt. And so we ate bear, deer, snake, etc.
And now he's been living in Alaska for around 30 yrs. and his friends always give him their catches (any sea find) or hunts- specifically parts they wouldn't be interested in, like the head, etc. So he got a moose head, and he got very creative with dishes and it fed him for quite a while . dads the one who got me into Mustachianism :)

Anje

• Stubble
« Reply #594 on: August 09, 2015, 02:08:26 PM »
Where I live whale is considered to be best-tasting where seared quickly on high heat. So I'd recomend slicing it thinly (easiest done when the meat is semi-frozen), marinating in flavour of your choice and then made into a sort of stir-fry. I also imagine seared ginger-marinated whale to be excelent topping on nigiri - but that I haven't yet tried.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #595 on: August 10, 2015, 08:50:36 AM »
Got it. Excellent. When I was a baby and we lived in the mountains, my dad would hunt. And so we ate bear, deer, snake, etc.
And now he's been living in Alaska for around 30 yrs. and his friends always give him their catches (any sea find) or hunts- specifically parts they wouldn't be interested in, like the head, etc. So he got a moose head, and he got very creative with dishes and it fed him for quite a while . dads the one who got me into Mustachianism :)

My parents like sheep heads, but I'm sure they haven't tried moose head. I guess it would be difficult to prepare them the same way, there is no way that giant head would fit in a normal pot. But there must be plenty of good meat in the cheeks and tongue, so it is strange that we don't use more of it.

Where I live whale is considered to be best-tasting where seared quickly on high heat. So I'd recomend slicing it thinly (easiest done when the meat is semi-frozen), marinating in flavour of your choice and then made into a sort of stir-fry. I also imagine seared ginger-marinated whale to be excelent topping on nigiri - but that I haven't yet tried.
Thank you, that sounds like a good idea. Thin slices, marinade, and some nice vegetables. Maybe some noodles. Doesn't take to long to prepare, either.

Nancy

« Reply #596 on: August 11, 2015, 02:18:02 PM »
Ate the frozen leftovers from an office party and garden broccoli leftovers from a dinner. It was delish, free, and made space in the freezer.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #597 on: August 11, 2015, 11:38:43 PM »
Thank you, that sounds like a good idea. Thin slices, marinade, and some nice vegetables. Maybe some noodles. Doesn't take to long to prepare, either.

I've never tasted whale so this is a shot in the dark, but could you do some sort of sushi?  My husband and I sear tuna for sushi.  Or you could maybe do a fried sushi, to cook it?

If that sounds gross, I Googled it out of curiosity and came up with this list of ways to cook whale meat:
http://herrickreport.com/whalerecipes.html?hc_location=ufi

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #598 on: August 13, 2015, 06:35:48 AM »
I have been so good at using up fresh foods or freezing stuff that won't last, that my freezer, is, once again, approaching full.

Lots of nice things in there, and loads of fun spices in the cupboard, so it's time to start menu planning!

Nancy

« Reply #599 on: August 13, 2015, 07:30:36 AM »
Nice job, advicist! Same here. I just blanched/froze a bunch of basil. Once I finish decluttering, I'm going to buy a small deep freezer for all the lovely large batch meals.