Author Topic: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2  (Read 1193549 times)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
Re: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2
« Reply #3050 on: January 26, 2021, 02:24:58 AM »
In the cupboards:
- 3 2 types of pasta, 3 2 types of rice, 2 packs of quinoia, rice nudels in 3 sizes, 2 packs of bulgur, nudels, tortillas, 1 and a half pack of couscous, 2 and a half packs of lasagna sheets. In our previous house, that pasta/rice drawer was twice as big and also usually full.
- 1 pack of macaroni and 1 pack of rice that are extremely short cooked. This is meant to be used in homemade dry trip meals where I just want to add hot water. I put those in a separate cupboard now, so the pasta/rice drawer is less stuffed.
- A pack of cranberry-like dried berries, a staple. In the same cupboard another couple of packs of Norwegian style saurkraut, which is not saur.
- Lots of selfpicked dried mushrooms of various types. The most common varieties tend to get used. For the rest, I need to make a plan.
- A few types of self picked mushrooms confitted in oil. Two large pots down.
- Some nori leaves. In the same cupboard dried shrimp sheets that turn crunchy when deep fried. I used half the pack last summer.
- Lots and lots of spices. I might want to make more tiki/garam massala dishes.
- 2 pots of artichoke hearts. 1 pot down.
- 1 pack of linseed left, 1 pack used up recently.

In the fridge:
- A refridgerator shelf full of selfpicked mushrooms preserved in various ways. As well as some preserved selfpicked plants and some vegetables. I recently started eating some pickeled carrots. A pot of self-salted lemons.
- Another shelf full of preserved red peppers and vegetable purees. All from the store. 5 pots down, 2 left.
- Lots of opened spices and pickels. Threw away one pot of pickeled peppers that had been opened ages ago, but left out of view. Something black was floating in it.
- Half a pack of grated mixed cheese, which won't last forever.
- Lots of home made jams, 1 left from the plums in our plumb tree, 3 1 with selfpicked blueberries and 1 left with storebought rubarb. 1 pot of selfmade lemoncurd. I just finished the other pot of lemoncurd.
- 2 packs of tofu, bought intentionally to try out some tofu recipees.

In the freezer:
- Lots of frozen selfpicked plants in the freezer. A box of selfpicked raspberries.
- Half a squash/mushroom cake in the freezer (now in the fridge) which is made from a recipee, but strangely enough tastes quite sweet, despite the other ingredients. I should just have it for lunch one day. Today I ate a portion of oatmeal (from budget bytes) for lunch. I have one other such portion left.
- Some frozen vegetables (red pepper, carrots, green onion and now also butternut squash cubes) to make such they didn't expire when we went on vacation. Also cauliflour leaves and broccoli stilk in slices. The latter is good in a soup.
- Frozen self picked mushrooms of varying types.
- Frozen leftover portions, one with chickpeas, one for rouille (a spicy spread for french bread containing fish stock). And also a portion of leftover saus that can go with deer, last eaten with reindeer. A portion of kale/potato stew. Leftover meat sauce from longtime cooked meat.
- A bag of frozen peas, a bag of frozen brussle sprouts, 2 bags of spinach (a staple) and a bag of asian style precut wok mix (not more expensive than fresh veggies, and without the cutoffs). 2 bags of different types of green beens, one bag of precut red curry wok mix.
- 2 31 whole lemon.
- Selfpicked rose leaves.
- Pommes granate seeds, intentionally frozen to use later occasionally. Edit: used half, added new. And added another one. And added even more of these seeds, because I thought I didn't have more and now is the season.
- Still more selfcaught (by DH) fish in the freezer. 2 1 whole trouts and 2 trout fillets. 5 2 portions of white fish, which we have been eating a lot since last summer as we started with 15 or so portions.
- Some deer meet in the freezer and other meat that might have laid in the deepest part of the freezer drawer. Also a portions of ground lam that I plan to make a borek-like thing with quite soon. I bought new ground beef, ground pork and ground lam.  And some sausages.
- Boneless chicken thighs. Good for a massala stew. 3 2 bags of chicken breast fillets.
- Some selfmade foccasia that was baked a bit too long and is therefore harder than I would like. Some frozen tortilla wraps as well. 8 2 Pieces of homebaked naan bread, but that was intentional, as that fits nicely with stews.
- 2 0,25 pack with sheets of fillo pastry. Bought intentionally not too long ago.
- A ball of leftover pasta dough
- Half a pack of small tortillas.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 03:57:31 AM by Linea_Norway »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3051 on: January 26, 2021, 02:29:17 AM »
This weekend we had the deer meat. I added some of the selfpicked mushrooms that were confit-treated. I thought they tasted well. I have 3 jars of this species, all preserved in a different way. The confit method is just treated with oil and herbs and can do tight into the frying pan. One of the others is salted and needs to be desalted first.

Tonight I will make watps with half the pork tenderloin that is left in the fridge, some more of those mushrooms and the frozen tortillas.

Dutch Comfort

• Bristles
« Reply #3052 on: January 26, 2021, 05:32:14 AM »
Leftover sausage rolls for lunch today!

Checked the fridge and found green beans that need to be eaten soon or they go bad, so tonight it's green beans, baked potatoes and some bacon flavored sausage for dinner.

Have to find a good recipe for some milk that will otherwise go bad (our daughter loves to drink fresh milk  however, this was half a liter of pasteurised milk that I only use in pancakes.....). Maybe I'll just make some pancakes and freeze them for future use......

Kids are indulging on last pieces of holiday treats. That will make room in my cupboard!
I'm indulging on my stock of loose tea leaves. Have an awful lot of those (mostly gifts, since everybody knows I love tea.....) and will finalise these first before buying new tea...... Right now it's Green Tea Sencha!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3053 on: January 27, 2021, 01:07:43 AM »

Checked the fridge and found green beans that need to be eaten soon or they go bad, so tonight it's green beans, baked potatoes and some bacon flavored sausage for dinner.

Have to find a good recipe for some milk that will otherwise go bad (our daughter loves to drink fresh milk  however, this was half a liter of pasteurised milk that I only use in pancakes.....). Maybe I'll just make some pancakes and freeze them for future use......

Kids are indulging on last pieces of holiday treats. That will make room in my cupboard!
I'm indulging on my stock of loose tea leaves. Have an awful lot of those (mostly gifts, since everybody knows I love tea.....) and will finalise these first before buying new tea...... Right now it's Green Tea Sencha!

Are you saying that your daughter prefers to drink unpasteurized milk? Pasteurizing kills patogens of all sorts that might live in unpasteurized milk. It is really not very safe drinking unpasteurized milk.

Dutch Comfort

• Bristles
« Reply #3054 on: January 27, 2021, 03:38:26 AM »

Are you saying that your daughter prefers to drink unpasteurized milk? Pasteurizing kills patogens of all sorts that might live in unpasteurized milk. It is really not very safe drinking unpasteurized milk.
Probably this is due to my lack of English knowledge. She drinks regular fresh milk, but not the one which you can store for longer term.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3055 on: January 27, 2021, 10:52:04 AM »

Probably this is due to my lack of English knowledge. She drinks regular fresh milk, but not the one which you can store for longer term.

Ok, that happens to me all the time as well.

https://www.campina.be/faq/wat-is-het-verschil-tussen-rauwe-gepasteuriseerde-en-gesteriliseerde-melk

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3056 on: January 27, 2021, 11:30:41 AM »
Hi everyone!

@MaybeBabyMustache, the granola is tasty!  I had a bite to taste test it (I am a low carber) and DH likes it as well.  I made it with coconut milk and walnuts instead of pecans, since that is what we had on hand.  https://cookieandkate.com/baked-oatmeal-recipe/.  And, our appetizers are similar, as they are from Sam's Club, LOL.  I love their spanakopita.

My cauliflower steaks were yummy, if only because of the bacon and cheddar topping.  I probably won't make them again any time soon.

@Linea_Norway, you're doing a wonderful job!

@Dutch Comfort, we also have a bit of holiday treats taking up cupboard room.  :)

I've been refocusing on getting in my fresh vegetable and fruit.  Yesterday I consumed nine different varieties.  Today will be at least five.

~Been focusing on the bag of baby spinach.  Had two servings yesterday, and planning on two more today.
~Friday I will make a slow cooker spicy turkey and two bean chili in order to use up some of the locally grown turkey given to us by our neighbors.
~Monday I'll make avocado tuna melt bites in order to use up some of the canned tuna we have on hand, and to incorporate more into our diets.
~Next Taco Tuesday will finally use up the rest of the flounder.
~Next Wednesday I'll make a country ham ramen to use up some of last month's ham.

Dutch Comfort

• Bristles
« Reply #3057 on: January 29, 2021, 01:52:04 AM »
Today will be a split dinner:
- DD and me will have a vegetarian spinach casserole
- DS and SO will have baked potatoes with some porc chops and corn/bell pepper salad

Lunch will be leftover veggies and beans from last nights dinner.

Tomorrow a hotdog/burger dinner, so this will empty the fridge before I go shopping on Sunday (I prefer Sunday over Saturday, since it's way more quiet in the supermarket!).

Kids still munching on holiday treats. Marshmallows were used for a school project (build a tower from spaghetti and marshmallows......).

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3058 on: January 29, 2021, 01:37:40 PM »
Only a few more mornings of tea drinking and I'll be done with a jar of loose leaf camomile tea, and then can put away the empty glass jar in my big box of clean empty jars.  I'll then have one less thing cluttering my countertop. Not gonna buy any more tea, probably, since I prefer coffee. 

Also almost done using up a plastic bag of lentils. Just a few more bowls of lentil soup.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3059 on: January 29, 2021, 01:51:52 PM »
*Sigh* I had an opportunity to hit the grocery store this morning to avoid going during higher traffic times. It turns out that they mark down quite a bit of meat on Friday mornings, which is good info to have, but some extra things leapt into my cart, so on that end, the stash is not getting any smaller.

But I did get a head start on meal planning for next week and will use some things up.

Tonight will be a tofu stirfry to use up just-expired tofu and baby bok choy purchased last weekend. Will make a peanut sauce to use some of the gargantuan Costco jar of peanut butter DH bought for some reason, as well as a package of kelp noodles.

Monday will use up beets in a red flannel hash type dinner skillet.

Tuesday will be chili using the last of my homegrown butternut squash. This should also be a good place to use the chicken stock that I cooked down so far that it turned into a near-solid.

Thursday the plan is braised lamb shanks to get closer to finishing up the last lamb and make room for the new one. On the side will be a root vegetable puree using the last of my homegrown parsnips.

Friday, if we aren't awash in leftovers, I'll use a pack of chorizo from the freezer for a stand by casserole type meal with homegrown spaghetti squash.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3060 on: January 29, 2021, 02:31:20 PM »
Today I made a pizza from sourdough. I used up an opened jar of tomato puree and an opened pack of grated cheese.  The last part of my opened jar with confit mushrooms. And some fresh Spanish ham on sale, which was really good. This time I put the ham on after baking the pizza, which was a good idea, as it kept very smooth.

Yesterday we had chicken thighs and had half left over. I will eat those in tortilla wraps with cherrie tomatoes. DH will in the weekend make a meal with a frozen trout and probably frozen veggies.

Today I made fermented carrots, with a bag of water as a water lock on the jar. I hope they will work out fine.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3061 on: February 02, 2021, 01:14:10 PM »
@MaybeBabyMustache, I made DH the Budget Bytes Peanut Butter Brownie Baked Oatmeal.  He likes it better than the blueberry oatmeal I made him the week prior.

Since my last post:
~Used a small container of leftover tomato paste I'd frozen in last Friday's turkey chili
~Sprinkled some leftover chopped peanuts from holiday baking onto today's baby spinach salad
~In the evenings, I've been nibbling on dark chocolate and chocolate covered almonds given to me at Christmas
~Used some grape jelly from traveling last fall and strawberry preserves from a Christmas gift on a low carb tortilla and English muffin respectively
~Cooked up a box of Zatarain's rice and beans with some chopped up elk jerky the neighbors gave to us.  I brought the dish to their house along with some homemade almond flour cheddar biscuits.
~The rest of the spicy dill pickle chips went into DH's lunch cooler
~And I misspoke last week:  After tonight there will be two flounder fillets remaining.  That two pound bag went a LONG way.

As of Sunday, we were down to only a few pieces of citrus and DH went to the store to restock the produce.  He will also pick up a rather large Sam's Club order this evening which includes canned goods, shrimp, bacon, granola, almond flour, and several other items.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3062 on: February 02, 2021, 02:18:11 PM »
I like that recipe. My 14 year old did ask for me to add chocolate chips next time, but then I fear we've veered into full dessert territory. ;-)

My husband & I are intermittent fasting a couple of days/week, & I'm the primary "random food user upper", so I feel my progress has slowed. But, we've had some wins:

-Used a bag of roasted chicken in a great chicken yakisoba dish
-Doctored up a last serving of sesame beef & finished that off. It wasn't my favorite, but the good news is that I ate it after a 24 hour fast, so it was totally serviceable.
-Used the rest of the plain yogurt with lemon curd & homemade granola. I prefer flavored yogurt (I'm a weakling), but the lemon curd was an awesome addition. My granola recipe made SO MUCH.
-Oh, and I juiced the 25+ oranges that fell off of a tree in our yard, so I can actually open the fruit drawer

We need to finish eating (from the fridge):
-Chicken yakisoba
-Pad thai (hopefully tonight)
-Rando kid leftovers: spaghetti & meatballs (x1), chicken patty (x1), chicken strips (x4), pizza (1/4 of a pizza)
-Salmon

That should get us through the rest of the week
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 07:51:40 AM by MaybeBabyMustache »

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3063 on: February 03, 2021, 12:45:17 AM »
I wasn't able to get a grocery delivery this week (two days of canceled deliveries due to snow + pent-up demand from two days of no deliveries filling every slot for the following days, etc.) so when I faced a fridge with no fresh meat or vegetables I had to go hardcore on a pantry-freezer cleanout meal. Ended up making a minestrone soup entirely out of pantry and freezer ingredients: stock, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, and peas from the freezer; pasta, a can of chickpeas, a can of tomatoes, and some spices/flavorings from the pantry. It came out pretty good! And it made enough for a few meals so I should make it until the delivery slot I snagged on Friday. And hopefully at some point between now and then I'll be able to add some things to my order, since they were out of half of the stuff I wanted to order anyway. I decided while I was rooting around the freezer to pull out the 4-pound pork butt my mom gave me (for... some reason?) a while back. I have no idea what one single woman will do with four pounds of pork, which is why it's been languishing in the freezer. But it seemed like a good time to do it after a week where I had no meat in the fridge.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 12:46:54 AM by Dollar Slice »

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #3064 on: February 03, 2021, 04:32:02 AM »
. I have no idea what one single woman will do with four pounds of pork, which is why it's been languishing in the freezer. But it seemed like a good time to do it after a week where I had no meat in the fridge.

I suggest cooking it low and slow. That way you can get it nice and tender for dinner, then shred the leftovers for carnitas/pulled pork/ whatever your jam, and freeze it ready to go for next time.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3065 on: February 03, 2021, 12:48:50 PM »
Sometimes I don't understand why a couple or a single person is intimidated by large cuts of meat or packages of meat. There are so many recipes you can make with one piece of meat or large package of hamburger. For hamburger, I usually cook up a gigantic package of hamburger with onion. I break the packages down into 1 lb packages or less. I then freeze them flat and once frozen, I stack them up like files. Hamburger can be used for so many recipes! Taco's, spaghetti sauce, chili and much more. Large family packages of chicken can be cooked up in one or several methods and frozen for other dinners. We are just two people in my household and I am always cooking large quantities and eating some and freezing the rest in managable packages for later on. We cook up 6 to eight burgers at a time and freeze them with cheese on them. If we want burgers, all we do is defrost and warm up. Makes life so easy! I am planning on buying a spiral ham that is on sale and cutting it up into managable packages. The ham is approx. 8 lbs with bone. We will have the ham for breakfast, sandwiches, dinner. The bone will be used for a big pot of pea soup. Some of the soup will be frozen for later on. We are cooking a 16 lb turkey this weekend. Once again we will eat a turkey dinner, and immediately put the bones in the slow cooker with celery, carrots, spices and cook all night long. Then drain out the bones and refrigerate to cool and scrape off the grease then make a big pot of turkey soup. Once again, we will freeze leftovers. The turkey will be frozen in packages and once we eat them for dinners warm them up in turkey gravy. So for me, bring on the big turkeys, hams, burger meat and so on! Cook once eat a bunch of meals!

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3066 on: February 03, 2021, 01:04:24 PM »
@MaybeBabyMustache, lol, like minds!  After confirming with me the unsweetened cocoa powder ingredient, DH asked if I could add more chocolate flavor to it.  ;)

@Dollar Slice, WTG on the soup idea!

@Roadrunner53, we recently did that with our Christmas ham.  The rest is currently thawing in the fridge for a ramen dish and lunch meat.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3067 on: February 03, 2021, 01:36:52 PM »
Sometimes I don't understand why a couple or a single person is intimidated by large cuts of meat or packages of meat.

Personally - I don't eat that much meat to begin with (for environmental reasons). I'm not a person that sits down to a steak, burger, chicken, salmon, etc. for dinner. I will have a little meat as part of a dish, but not as the main centerpiece of a meal. I usually will only buy one pound of meat for the week. If I buy more than that it's a special treat.

So partly it just seems like a ton of meat - a month's worth all at once. And partly it's that I never cook large cuts of meat and I don't really have any experience with it (thawing such a large piece - how long does it take? cooking such a large piece - same, etc.). And the price tag says $23 so I really don't want to fuck it up!

I also don't have a microwave or much freezer space in my tiny kitchen, so the idea of freezing in bulk and reheating/defrosting stuff all the time is not that practical.

Dutch Comfort

• Bristles
« Reply #3068 on: February 04, 2021, 05:56:39 AM »
Leftover lunches again: pasta for DS, noodles for DD, pumpkin soup for me
Homemade pizza with leftover veggies and some ham/sausage tonight to ensure an empty fridge when the grocery delivery service will deliver the groceries in the evening!

I agree on buying bulk meats / tomatoes..... so happy with our big freezer unit!

Next week is our DD birthday. Just a small cake, since lockdown does not allow any visitors, and no leftovers expected. Although she is allowed to pick what we have for diner. I expect some chinese food/dumplings on her wishlist..... If it will be chinese food, I will be making fried rice in bulk to freeze leftovers for lunch.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3069 on: February 04, 2021, 06:08:06 AM »
Sometimes I don't understand why a couple or a single person is intimidated by large cuts of meat or packages of meat.

Personally - I don't eat that much meat to begin with (for environmental reasons). I'm not a person that sits down to a steak, burger, chicken, salmon, etc. for dinner. I will have a little meat as part of a dish, but not as the main centerpiece of a meal. I usually will only buy one pound of meat for the week. If I buy more than that it's a special treat.

So partly it just seems like a ton of meat - a month's worth all at once. And partly it's that I never cook large cuts of meat and I don't really have any experience with it (thawing such a large piece - how long does it take? cooking such a large piece - same, etc.). And the price tag says $23 so I really don't want to fuck it up!

I also don't have a microwave or much freezer space in my tiny kitchen, so the idea of freezing in bulk and reheating/defrosting stuff all the time is not that practical.

Here is a recipe I used recently. I had an approx. 4 lb pork butt and it came out really good.
https://justcook.butcherbox.com/cumin-crusted-pork-butt/

Here is how to thaw a pork butt: https://www.leaf.tv/articles/how-to-thaw-cooked-frozen-pork/

Your lifestyle is completely different than mine but to each his own on consumption, preparation and storage of food.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3070 on: February 04, 2021, 11:46:13 AM »
Here is a recipe I used recently. I had an approx. 4 lb pork butt and it came out really good.

Here is how to thaw a pork butt: https://www.leaf.tv/articles/how-to-thaw-cooked-frozen-pork/

Thanks for the links. I have the exact same red Lodge dutch oven as that recipe pic so that's a start ;-) 

I have googled before on thawing meat, but I find that the advice just doesn't work. Like that article says to thaw a large pork butt in the refrigerator for 24 hours per five pounds... I've had my 4 lb butt thawing for 36+ hours in the fridge and it's still hard as a rock like it hasn't thawed at all. I have no idea how long it will take to actually thaw. Every article I've found says 24 hours or 5-7 hours per lb (which is about 24 hours). I can't even get a chicken breast or pound of ground turkey to fully thaw in 24 hours in my fridge.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3071 on: February 04, 2021, 11:51:25 AM »
-Made more progress on granola & lemon curd (we had another tub of plain yogurt in the fridge) at breakfast this morning
-We had chicken yakisoba leftovers for dinner, but there's still plenty there. I'll have it again for dinner, and maybe lunch
-My son ate 1/2 of a protein bar that was lingering in the fridge

We also had some food waste this week, which always irritates me. But, I've cleaned out the fridge & re-organized it a bit, so we can see everything. I actually think it had more to do with adjustment to intermittent fasting (just consuming less), but being better organized always helps.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3072 on: February 04, 2021, 03:22:17 PM »

Thanks for the links. I have the exact same red Lodge dutch oven as that recipe pic so that's a start ;-) 

I have googled before on thawing meat, but I find that the advice just doesn't work. Like that article says to thaw a large pork butt in the refrigerator for 24 hours per five pounds... I've had my 4 lb butt thawing for 36+ hours in the fridge and it's still hard as a rock like it hasn't thawed at all. I have no idea how long it will take to actually thaw. Every article I've found says 24 hours or 5-7 hours per lb (which is about 24 hours). I can't even get a chicken breast or pound of ground turkey to fully thaw in 24 hours in my fridge.

Personally, I would probably take a hunk of meat out of the freezer and let it defrost for 3-5 days. It will be perfectly fine. You don't have to cook it immediately when it thaws. Another point is make sure you put a pan under it or put it in a ziplock bag to avoid the dreaded leakage. I have a 15 or 16 lb turkey thawing out in my fridge right now and we are letting it thaw a week. Better to let it thaw completely than to have ice in the center. That will throw off the cooking time and final texture. You will need to cook it longer if you don't thaw it completely.  Don't stress, it will thaw!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3073 on: February 04, 2021, 03:56:22 PM »
@Roadrunner53 - I read that you had 15-16 turkeys thawing & was both impressed & intrigued! I see that it's just one turkey. ;-)

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3074 on: February 04, 2021, 10:41:35 PM »
Yes one turkey thawing out!! Hahahaha!

Dutch Comfort

• Bristles
« Reply #3075 on: February 08, 2021, 06:35:58 AM »
Made stir-fry noodles yesterday. That used up a pack of noodles and some side material (fried unions, shredded coconut and fried shrimp-crisps). My cupboard is overflowing and part of the groceries are taking up space on my kitchen counter, which I really hate! I stocked up a little due to the expected snow (I do not like to drive in snowy conditions) so now I have to make the family EAT IT ALL (at least till it will all fit in my kitchen cupboard again......)!!!!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3076 on: February 08, 2021, 10:16:10 AM »
Made Super Bowl food out of all in house ingredients, minus a pizza I picked up for the teens & a baguette.

-Coconut shrimp (freezer)
-Wings (freezer)
-Onion dip (made from ingredients around fridge/pantry)
-Crackers (pantry)
-Veggies (standard veggies from the fridge)
-Goat cheese crostini (used up goat cheese I've had lingering in the fridge)
-Cupcakes (leftover from previous day's birthday celebration)

Skipped dinner (so much food in the "appetizer" portion), so need to make sure we don't waste any of the planned meals for the week.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3077 on: February 08, 2021, 11:59:47 AM »
Recently I have been fermenting cabbages and carrots, so the fridge is now filled with 3 jars of kim chi, 2 jars of carrots and 2 jars of red cabbage. The idea is to eat it regularly for health reasons. I have been eating some carrots.

We finished some of the selfpicked mushrooms.

This weekend I tried to make falaffel from scratch, but the chickpea-dough won't stick together. I might add some egg to it and try again.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3078 on: February 08, 2021, 03:45:22 PM »
Similar to @MaybeBabyMustache, we used a lot of food on hand for the Super Bowl:

Little Smokies wrapped in Crescent dough
Bacon wrapped shrimp skewers
From frozen:  Taquitos, chicken pesto fillo dough cups, Spanakopita
Veggies
7 layer dip which used a can of beanless Hormel, a cup of cheddar, a tomato, and a cream cheese block

Other items:
~I made chocolate oatmeal peanut butter bites which used up 3 cups oatmeal, 1.5 cups peanut butter, 2/3 cup flaxseed, a cup of honey, a bag of chocolate chips, and the block of semi-sweet chocolate  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/peanut-butter-cup-bites-7150549
~Saturday night's stir fry dinner used the remaining ground pork, the zucchini, yellow squash and riced cauliflower
~Currently there are pinto beans soaking for tomorrow's ham and beans
~Tonight I'm going to make a freeze ahead meal for my niece who is expecting her first baby.  Spaghetti and meatballs, which will use up a pound of ground beef, a package of pasta, a jar of pasta sauce, and whatever else to fancy up the sauce.  Last month I brought two other pasta dishes and frozen bread sticks and Texas toast for her freezer.  I'll give her a bag of the chocolate bites as well.
~The final pound of ground beef will be used in Wednesday's deconstructed tacos
~We'll eat the last bag of frozen cauliflower for Wednesday and Thursday suppers
~I'm planning a co-birthday party with a neighbor, and I'll make the beer cheese and French bread I didn't get to yesterday

Here's to next week's grocery pickup order.  :)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 03:49:55 PM by MountainGal »

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3079 on: February 08, 2021, 05:02:50 PM »
Personally, I would probably take a hunk of meat out of the freezer and let it defrost for 3-5 days. It will be perfectly fine. You don't have to cook it immediately when it thaws.

6 days later and it's still half frozen! Maybe I accidentally got one of those Pfizer vaccine freezers that keeps things at 80 degrees below zero :-) 

I decided to just put it in the Instant Pot tonight since there are a bunch of recipes online that say you can cook a pork butt from frozen that way if you add a few minutes to the time. Fingers crossed. I'll temp it in the middle when it comes out to make sure it got to the right temp for braised pork.

In the spirit of this thread I used up the last of a spice blend/rub that I'd bought a while back. I don't remember what I bought it for but it smelled like it would be great for pulled pork (cumin, chili, etc.) so I went for it.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3080 on: February 09, 2021, 07:10:56 AM »
Tomorrow I plan to cook a thai soup with leftover vegetables in the fridge, as well as some salted mushrooms which I haven't dared to eat yet. But we ate the same mushroom species as confit-treated in oil and that tasted well.

Last week, DH had to pick up something at his office and was offered to take a giftbox of chocolates home, as there were no employees to eat from it. We have emptied the box by 75% now.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3081 on: February 09, 2021, 07:27:07 AM »
We made some progress yesterday:
-Ate almost all of the remaining Super Bowl appetizers
-Finished off a single serving leftover of a taco bowl
-Hungry teen ate a leftover chicken patty & a piece of pizza

I need to wrap & freeze the rest of a baguette, and freeze some leftover soup. The adults are fasting today, which really slows down leftover meal consumption.

seemsright

• Bristles
« Reply #3082 on: February 09, 2021, 04:55:44 PM »
I have a ton of flax seeds. I have no idea why. So to use some of them up I dumped some ground flax into a bowl, added some canned pumpkin, a bit of flour, the rest of my coco powder, a cup of sugar, the rest of the carton of egg whites a bit of almond milk (I cannot eat dairy), some baking powder and a bunch of pumpkin pie spice. And mixed it up and baked it. The remind me of bran muffins. I will throw them in the freezer for quick breakfast this week.

I am learning to use up some of the random in my pantry a good way to do that is muffins. My family will gobble them up fast. I am trying hard to eat everything we have before we go buy much more besides milk. I am having to get real creative and operate on random. So far it is working.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3083 on: February 09, 2021, 07:17:50 PM »
Progress:
-All leftover Super Bowl appetizers are gone + the pizza
-One chicken patty left. I've reminded my teen that it's not a good idea to bake six at a time. Let's see if that lesson sticks.

Unfortunately/fortunately, dinner tonight was quite filling, so leftovers went into the fridge. We still have leftovers from takeout Greek on Saturday, so I'll try & get those eaten tomorrow.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3084 on: February 10, 2021, 02:14:08 PM »
OK, what ideas do you culinary  have for walnuts? DH's friend gave us a ton of really nice shelled walnuts from his tree. I've been sprinkling them on my yogurt/waffles/porridge, but that's about it and we have about 5 quarts, plus the store-bought walnuts I already had.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3085 on: February 10, 2021, 03:16:21 PM »
OK, what ideas do you culinary  have for walnuts? DH's friend gave us a ton of really nice shelled walnuts from his tree. I've been sprinkling them on my yogurt/waffles/porridge, but that's about it and we have about 5 quarts, plus the store-bought walnuts I already had.

Walnuts are great in salads. Or in streusel for desserts, like in the topping of an apple crisp. They're good in banana bread, apple cake, or chocolate chip cookies. You can serve them with fruit and cheese as an appetizer/light meal. I haven't tried it but I've seen recipes for pesto that use walnuts instead of pine nuts.

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #3086 on: February 10, 2021, 05:10:03 PM »

Walnuts are great in salads. Or in streusel for desserts, like in the topping of an apple crisp. They're good in banana bread, apple cake, or chocolate chip cookies. You can serve them with fruit and cheese as an appetizer/light meal. I haven't tried it but I've seen recipes for pesto that use walnuts instead of pine nuts.

Good idea with the pesto - I hadn't remembered when I read the original question, but I exclusively use walnuts in pesto because I'm too cheap to buy pine nuts and I think they work great.  And freeze well, if you want to wait until it's pesto season :)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3087 on: February 10, 2021, 09:46:26 PM »
Good ideas, thanks! I have them in the freezer, so at least they aren't going rancid. :)

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3088 on: February 11, 2021, 04:32:22 AM »
Another thing I have done with walnuts is to make a walnut crust for baked fish. I use a rolling pin to crush the nuts in manageable pieces. Mix them with some mayo and a little hot sauce. Coat the fish and bake. I am sure there are many ways to do this. Rather than mayo, maybe digon mustard. You could add spices. You could probaby use any creamy salad dressing mixed with walnuts to coat the fish. Add some dill, Old Bay spice.

Dutch Comfort

• Bristles
« Reply #3089 on: February 11, 2021, 04:58:15 AM »
Used up some bread that dried out and made French toast for lunch. DD did not complain!
Was thinking about doing a grocery run, but found enough in my cupboard for dinner to extend another day (or maybe even 2 days......). I want to save time on Saturday morning, because we might have the possibility to go ice-skating (and in a lockdown country, this is a big treat of nature...... it has been 8 years since we had this amount of cold/icy weather) if weather/water conditions permit......

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3090 on: February 11, 2021, 01:51:33 PM »
-Ate leftovers for dinner last night, still have one serving of beef bulgogi bowl for tonight
-Kids ate the last chicken patty - hurrah
-Finished off leftover entree from Saturday's takeout. One entree to go
-Defrosted a chicken dish for my husband/son last night, and they ate that. So, one meal out of the freezer!

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3091 on: February 11, 2021, 02:52:36 PM »
@horsepoor, there are baked oatmeal recipes that use walnuts.  I made this a few weeks ago:  https://www.budgetbytes.com/banana-bread-oatmeal/  And I love the pesto idea!

When cooking for niece1 Monday evening, I learned an entire package of spaghetti goes a long way!  So, I brought her some, and though I don't usually eat pasta, I've had a few servings of it this week.  Unfortunately, the meatballs burned, and I couldn't bring myself to give them to her.  Will try again in the future.

Instead of my original low carb meal I had planned tonight in order to use up the flounder and cauliflower, I am going to pick up Chinese take out for the Lunar New Year celebration.  :)

seemsright

• Bristles
« Reply #3092 on: February 13, 2021, 06:59:45 PM »
I have made my dinner idea list for the week. I am going to try to use a few things up. I have some gnocchi I made months ago in the freezer that I think I can finish up by making a pot of chicken and dumpling soup. And our state has allowed groups of 6 to go back to their activities and my preteen can go back to her dance class after a 12 week lock down (it has been the second lockdown) So I will make simple beef and black been burritos one night and peanut noodles the other dance night.

I have been playing with sourdough and hubby has asked for sourdough pizza so I think we will do that on Sat.

Having a game plan on how I am going to use stuff up is really helping. I will still have to go to the store because the preteen will want milk.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3093 on: February 14, 2021, 08:58:53 AM »
-Used up a broken tortilla to make a breakfast "burrito". Added goat cheese spread leftover from Super Bowl Sunday
-Husband ate all of the onion dip
-Hungry teen ate the remaining takeout leftovers for a late lunch
-Managed to divide a two person recipe into three, by adding extra cabbage
-Made pork & sausage sliders on Friday (delicious) & saved the bun for my 13 year old, who ate it with the last chicken patty.

Fridge is in excellent shape right now, minus the 30+ citrus fruits that are threatening to take over. Citrus fruit grows really well here, and it seems to accumulate. We have an orange tree that drops over our fence, lemons galore, & a bag of limes. I need to make a plan for everything today.

Dutch Comfort

• Bristles
« Reply #3094 on: February 17, 2021, 02:04:50 AM »
Found a package of red pesto in the kitchen cabinet yesterday which I did not know why it was there...... and turned it into a delicious pasta casserole (with bell peppers, onions and some cream and grated cheese I had left in the cabinet/fridge), which has leftovers for lunch today.
Also cracked some walnuts and hazelnuts, which were lingering in the shed, to spice up my breakfast (win-win, since I love nuts).
Today will be baked potatoes (leftover from Monday's dinner), Brussels' sprouts and bacon sausage for dinner to further clear out the fridge.

Have to start eating more fruit before it goes bad, so that will be snack-time for DD and me for the next few days.

I'm starting to see a little more light in the kitchen cabinet, but there is still more stuff in there which needs finishing and for which I need to start looking for ways to use.....

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3095 on: February 17, 2021, 04:17:25 AM »
@seemsright You might want to start your pizza dough the evening before and put it in the fridge/cool place overnight. Sourdough takes ages to puff and it might be stressful to get your pizza ready for dinner time.

I have been making more dishes from cookbooks, which have lead to often buying fresh vegetables or meat. Meat isn't a problem because I had very little left. But I haven't used many of the things from the cupboards.

The concept of eating everything in your house vs having enough food to survive 2 weeks without shopping is a fine balance. I like to have stuff in store, like now when the shops have been out of lentils for 2 weeks. I wish I had bought many mire packs last time they had it, as it is such a convenient ingredient to use.

Now we still have a pack of cooked chick peas left as well as half a pack of dried chickpies, but found out that DH doesn't tolerate them that well, and definitely not turned into humus. Recently I made falaffel which he can eat in small quantities, like 3-4 per day. My turkish cookbook contains lots of recipees with chickpeas, but I have been replacing them with lentils or beans.

Last time, when I made thai soup with salted mushroom, the desalting process was not good enough. I had read about the method:
- cook for 5 minutes in boiling water
- rinse in cold water
- leave in cold water for 5 minutes
- taste if it tastes good, or repeat from scratch.
I tasted a thin part with tasted exceptable. But it turned out that the thick parts of the stem were way too salty, and we had to pick the mushrooms out of the soup.
I still have quite a bit of them left, so next time I should perhaps cook them 3 times in clean water and taste a thick part.
In the soup I used up hald a cauliflour and it's leaves that we have leftover.

Yesterday we had a little bit of leftover salad leaves and some cherrietomatoes as a snack in the middle of the day.

I have 2 plans for using lasagna leaves this week (lasagna and canneloni). I think that will make a dent in my 2 packs in the drawer.

I threw away a jar of pickeled selfpicked spruce tips that was several years old and looked unattractive and smelled harsh.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3096 on: February 17, 2021, 09:15:30 AM »
Had a big head of cabbage and had to get it out of the fridge to make some room. So, I got my small slow cooker out and chopped it up. I was only able to get about 2/3 or it into the slow cooker with 2 cut up onions. It was filled to the top and the last thing I put on top was a can of cream of mushroom soup and about 1/4 cup of water. I let it cook on low all night long. It cooked down to 1/2. I put on 3 slices of cheddar cheese and let it melt. It only took a little while to melt. It tastes really good and will make a good side dish. With the other hunk of cabbage, I will make a small cole slaw with shredded carrots.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3097 on: February 18, 2021, 12:37:50 PM »
In the cupboards:
- 3 types of pasta, 3 1 type of rice, 2 packs of quinoia, rice nudels in 3 sizes, 2 packs of bulgur, nudels, tortillas, 1 and a half pack of couscous, 2 1 and a half pack of lasagna sheets. In our previous house, that pasta/rice drawer was twice as big and also usually full.
- 1 pack of macaroni and 1 pack of rice that are extremely short cooked. This is meant to be used in homemade dry trip meals where I just want to add hot water. I put those in a separate cupboard now, so the pasta/rice drawer is less stuffed.
- A pack of cranberry-like dried berries, a staple. In the same cupboard another couple of packs of Norwegian style saurkraut, which is not saur.
- Lots of selfpicked dried mushrooms of various types. The most common varieties tend to get used. For the rest, I need to make a plan.
- A few types of self picked mushrooms confitted in oil. Two large pots down.
- Some nori leaves. In the same cupboard dried shrimp sheets that turn crunchy when deep fried. I used half the pack last summer.
- Lots and lots of spices. I might want to make more tiki/garam massala dishes.
- 2 pots of artichoke hearts. 1 pot down.
- 1 pack of linseed left, 1 pack used up recently.
- 3 tins of water chestnut

In the fridge:
- A refridgerator shelf full of selfpicked mushrooms preserved in various ways. As well as some preserved selfpicked plants and some vegetables. I recently started eating some pickeled carrots. A pot of self-salted lemons.
- Another shelf full of preserved red peppers and vegetable purees. All from the store. 5 pots down, 2 left.
- Lots of opened spices and pickels. Threw away one pot of pickeled peppers that had been opened ages ago, but left out of view. Something black was floating in it.
- Half a pack of grated mixed cheese, which won't last forever.
- Lots of home made jams, 1 left from the plums in our plumb tree, 3 with selfpicked blueberries and 1 left with storebought rubarb. 1 pot of selfmade lemoncurd. I just finished the other pot of lemoncurd.
- 2 packs of tofu, bought intentionally to try out some tofu recipees.

In the freezer:
- Lots of frozen selfpicked plants in the freezer. A box of selfpicked raspberries.
- Half a squash/mushroom cake in the freezer (now in the fridge) which is made from a recipee, but strangely enough tastes quite sweet, despite the other ingredients. I should just have it for lunch one day. Today I ate a portion of oatmeal (from budget bytes) for lunch. I have one other such portion left.
- Some frozen vegetables (red pepper, carrots, green onion and now also butternut squash cubes) to make such they didn't expire when we went on vacation. Also cauliflour leaves and broccoli stilk in slices. The latter is good in a soup.
- Frozen self picked mushrooms of varying types.
- Frozen leftover portions, one with chickpeas, one for rouille (a spicy spread for french bread containing fish stock). And also a portion of leftover saus that can go with deer, last eaten with reindeer. A portion of kale/potato stew. Leftover meat sauce from longtime cooked meat.
- A bag of frozen peas, a bag of frozen brussle sprouts, 2 bags of spinach (a staple) and a bag of asian style precut wok mix (not more expensive than fresh veggies, and without the cutoffs). 2 bags of different types of green beens, one bag of precut red curry wok mix.
- 2 31 whole lemon.
- Selfpicked rose leaves.
- Pommes granate seeds, intentionally frozen to use later occasionally. Edit: used half, added new. And added another one. And added even more of these seeds, because I thought I didn't have more and now is the season.
- Still more selfcaught (by DH) fish in the freezer. 2 whole trouts and 2 trout fillets. 5 portions of white fish, which we have been eating a lot since last summer as we started with 15 or so portions.
- Some deer meet in the freezer and other meat that might have laid in the deepest part of the freezer drawer. Also a portions of ground lam that I plan to make a borek-like thing with quite soon. I bought new ground beef, ground pork and ground lam.  And some sausages.
- Boneless chicken thighs. Good for a massala stew. 3 2 bags of chicken breast fillets.
- Some selfmade foccasia that was baked a bit too long and is therefore harder than I would like. Some frozen tortilla wraps as well. 8 2 Pieces of homebaked naan bread, but that was intentional, as that fits nicely with stews.
- 2 0,25 pack with sheets of fillo pastry. Bought intentionally not too long ago.
- A ball of leftover pasta dough
- Half a pack of small tortillas.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 02:08:40 AM by Linea_Norway »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3098 on: February 18, 2021, 12:47:06 PM »
As we found out that DH doesn't tolerate chick peas well, I have decided to throw away the remaining half pack of dried chick peas, as I don't think I will use them up. I keep the small pack with cooked chick peas and will use them divided over 2 dishes, which I think he will tolerate.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3099 on: February 18, 2021, 12:52:51 PM »
-Making progress on leftover Chinese takeout (son's birthday dinner)
-Ate a piece of flatbread pizza for breakfast, to avoid waste
-Most of the salmon is gone (1 serving left)

I've continued to add orange juice (from oranges in our yard) to my son's juice for smoothies. He is picky (generally true about food), so doesn't prefer just orange juice. I slowly add it to his apple or other juice, to dilute the orange juice, while getting him the good fresh stuff.