Author Topic: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2  (Read 1183488 times)

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2
« Reply #1950 on: November 27, 2017, 06:35:01 PM »
Recipe said to cover the bottom layer with aluminium foil and cover with dried beans or peas. I happened to have an old, unused pack of dried peas. Put them on the bottom layer of tarte and baked. But I forgot the aluminium foil. The peas are now very fatty and full of pieces of cake. I trhew them away. Finally rid of something I wouldn`t prepare anyway.

The peas aren't edible after they have been used for blind baking. The only thing they would be good for is being baking weights again. So it sounds like you found their perfect use.

Zoot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1951 on: November 28, 2017, 07:51:41 AM »
Used up a bunch of stuff in the fridge that would have been thrown out otherwise to make a big old stir-fry:  leftover Thai curry with chicken and vegetables, some brown rice, some use-it-or-lose-it broccoli, random spices and flavorings and broth mixed with cornstarch, an egg.  Total yum-fest. 

The only down-side is that I can never make that EXACT concoction again!  :)

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1952 on: November 28, 2017, 11:28:27 AM »
Used up a bunch of stuff in the fridge that would have been thrown out otherwise to make a big old stir-fry:  leftover Thai curry with chicken and vegetables, some brown rice, some use-it-or-lose-it broccoli, random spices and flavorings and broth mixed with cornstarch, an egg.  Total yum-fest. 

The only down-side is that I can never make that EXACT concoction again!  :)

Kinda sad when you make something delicious and can't ever replicate it, isn't it!

Ok, as posted in another thread, I used a bunch of my Shoppers Drug Mart Optimum points at a "Spend Your Points" event on the weekend, and what I bought with them was food, food, food!

I was aiming to reduce future grocery bills as much as possible, so I bought things like frozen vegetables, and canned fruit, pasta and sauce, shelf stable milk (almond, soy, etc), nuts and dried fruit, granola bars, peanut butter, etc.  And yes, more packages of rice!  (I know, I know!)  For the next couple of months, I should really need very little other than occasional purchases of "real" milk to supplement the alternative milks, and a bit of fresh produce to supplement the frozen and canned fruit and veg.  Hopefully I can stay out of the grocery store to a large degree.

So, although my fridge, freezer and cupboards are again overflowing, I am still in this thread, and still particularly committed to trying to use up some of those odds and ends that otherwise would languish in the cupboard for months/years!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1953 on: November 28, 2017, 02:24:24 PM »
I'm thinking that my pantry is starting to look pretty streamlined! Here are a few things I'm slating to use up from the pantry/freezer:

-Pine nuts (have a ton of pesto in the freezer, so will look for another way to use)
-Stale pistachios. Seriously, they have gone stale. May toast them & serve them in another way. Or, may try my hand at pistachio butter! http://cookingontheweekends.com/2015/12/how-to-make-homemade-pistachio-butter/
-Use up the last of the cashews (the cashew butter was a huge hit, so I'll incorporate this)
-Pesto - lots of it in the freezer, so will plan more meals with it
-Protein balls. I made one batch that wasn't as good, so they linger in the freezer. No making fresh new granola bars until I make my way through these.
-Frozen breakfast sandwiches (the ones with the stale muffin tops). Will need to just keep going through them

Overall, feeling really good about what's in the pantry, and my organized freezer!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1954 on: November 29, 2017, 01:28:11 AM »
I'm thinking that my pantry is starting to look pretty streamlined! Here are a few things I'm slating to use up from the pantry/freezer:

-Pine nuts (have a ton of pesto in the freezer, so will look for another way to use)

You could just sprinkle them over salad. Or over some wok dishes or dishes with cooked spinach.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1955 on: November 29, 2017, 04:41:02 AM »
You could just sprinkle them over salad. Or over some wok dishes or dishes with cooked spinach.

On top of roasted vegetables, hummus or babaganoush?

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1956 on: November 29, 2017, 09:20:49 AM »

Pine nuts have a high fat content and can spoil, so what you don’t use quickly, freeze.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1957 on: December 02, 2017, 09:35:07 AM »

Pine nuts have a high fat content and can spoil, so what you don’t use quickly, freeze.

I buy the costco size bag (1.5 lb ?) and keep it in the freezer.  A bag lasts a couple of years of making pesto with the summer basil.  But I guess that suggestion doesn't help use up all the food in your house lol

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1958 on: December 02, 2017, 11:44:22 AM »
Today I used some of the dried seaweed that we had picked in May. I put it in hot water for a while and servd it separately beside a rice dish. But it was no success. It had a bit of a slimy substance. It was edible, but not tasteful. We both ate a little bit, but not more.

I also used up one of the tins of coconut milk that I bought on discount some time ago. And I ate a bag of frozen selfpicked mushrooms.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1959 on: December 02, 2017, 01:03:41 PM »
I wanted pancakes this morning and realized I could use the buttermilk that was sitting in the fridge and getting close to expiration.  So yum and have batter left for more tomorrow.

Topping for the pancakes was homemade cranberry sauce leftover from Thanksgiving.  Said sauce incorporated some nasty orange-flavored vodka that no one will drink. 

Tonight I think I'll make beef bulgogi with the last pack of sirloin from last year's beef quarter.  Mission this month is to get nearly all the meat out of the freezer before we get this year's lamb in January.

GermanStache

• Stubble
  • Working my way to FI
    • My Journal
« Reply #1960 on: December 05, 2017, 05:53:40 AM »
Hi everyone!
I would love to join. .... to be honest I am not sure if I posted before on this thread. I read every page and feel like I belong but I never said hi.

We have been buying special things and sauced and spices in the last months and I would love to streamline my freezer and pantry. I would like to buy just milk and produce for the rest of December. We do not have to buy anything for Christmas besides about 30 EUR worth of sausages. Everything else is provided by our family which we spend Christmas with. So for now I decreased our budget to 200 EUR (2 adults, we buy mainly organic) which is a real low number. But it has to be a challenge otherwise I feel to content.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1961 on: December 05, 2017, 06:20:43 AM »
Hi everyone!
I would love to join. .... to be honest I am not sure if I posted before on this thread. I read every page and feel like I belong but I never said hi.

We have been buying special things and sauced and spices in the last months and I would love to streamline my freezer and pantry. I would like to buy just milk and produce for the rest of December. We do not have to buy anything for Christmas besides about 30 EUR worth of sausages. Everything else is provided by our family which we spend Christmas with. So for now I decreased our budget to 200 EUR (2 adults, we buy mainly organic) which is a real low number. But it has to be a challenge otherwise I feel to content.

Welcome.

My goal is to eat meat from the freezer for all of December. From the 22nd we will be provided for by family we visit.
Exception is Christmas dinner. FIL has asked us to provide the main dish and send him a shopping list for the ingredients. DH wants to make reindeer meat and that isn't sold where FIL lives. So we'll buy it ourselves. But for the day-to-day living, only meat from the freezer.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1962 on: December 05, 2017, 01:25:48 PM »
Made a salad last night consisting of fridge leftovers:  Baby spinach, Kalamata olives, cherry tomatoes, some sad feta, and leftover dressing from a take out meal.

Tonight I'm going to make gumbo to use zucchini I keep forgetting about, a smoked beef sausage, and a half bag of shrimp.  I'll serve it on top of some rice I froze 2 months ago from Chinese take out.

Mialao

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1963 on: December 07, 2017, 04:02:53 PM »
I`m a long time lurker - first time poster. I read  the whole thread and finally signed up to join here as I noticed that I might have a severe food hoarding issue.

I did an inventory of my fridge, freezer and pantry and found that I had kept around 10 different kinds of pasta, around 65 sorts of spices and spice mixes and around 50 different condiments. I started with a list of around 400 line items

I love trying new recipes and always buy the special ingredients a recipe calls for and end up with odds and ends I am not sure what to do with.

So now I'm writing here to commit to eating down what I have and not buying more random food.

First accomplishments:
Finished a bag of couscous nobody really cared for and will never buy that again
Streamlined the pasta stash by making mixed pasta dishes (rests of penne, capellini, linguine, farfalle and Spätzle are gone - will stick to spaghetti, tagliatelle and lasagna as staples)
Used up plain muesli mix (oats, other grains and seeds) by baking bread every weekend (froze in slices for fresh bread during the week)
Made granola cookies to make the family eat fruit granola mix
Using all the exotic spices more often - there have been quite some curries lately - making at least a small dent in those bulk bags of turmeric, curry powders, galangal powder and the like

Challenges:
I have no idea what to do with curry leaves, annatto seeds, black rice (and tapioca pearls apart from tapioca coconut pudding)
Popcorn - why is there so much popcorn?
Curry - there is a ton of mild curry powder, hot curry powder, red, green and yellow curry paste - I'm running out of ideas

Any suggestion would be highly appreciated

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1964 on: December 08, 2017, 01:27:07 AM »
I`m a long time lurker - first time poster. I read  the whole thread and finally signed up to join here as I noticed that I might have a severe food hoarding issue.

I did an inventory of my fridge, freezer and pantry and found that I had kept around 10 different kinds of pasta, around 65 sorts of spices and spice mixes and around 50 different condiments. I started with a list of around 400 line items

I love trying new recipes and always buy the special ingredients a recipe calls for and end up with odds and ends I am not sure what to do with.

So now I'm writing here to commit to eating down what I have and not buying more random food.

First accomplishments:
Finished a bag of couscous nobody really cared for and will never buy that again
Streamlined the pasta stash by making mixed pasta dishes (rests of penne, capellini, linguine, farfalle and Spätzle are gone - will stick to spaghetti, tagliatelle and lasagna as staples)
Used up plain muesli mix (oats, other grains and seeds) by baking bread every weekend (froze in slices for fresh bread during the week)
Made granola cookies to make the family eat fruit granola mix
Using all the exotic spices more often - there have been quite some curries lately - making at least a small dent in those bulk bags of turmeric, curry powders, galangal powder and the like

Challenges:
I have no idea what to do with curry leaves, annatto seeds, black rice (and tapioca pearls apart from tapioca coconut pudding)
Curry - there is a ton of mild curry powder, hot curry powder, red, green and yellow curry paste - I'm running out of ideas

Any suggestion would be highly appreciated

Welcome to the thread. It sound like you've made a very good start.

A simple curry dish:
- Cabbage, shopped in small pieces.
- Union, chopped
- Minced meat
- Potatoes or a mashed potatoes
- A few spoons full of curry, depending on how string

Cooked and mash the potatoes. Stir fry the minced meat and the union. Add the cabbage until softened. Add as much curry powder as you like. Mix together with the potatoes. Serve.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1965 on: December 08, 2017, 03:45:34 AM »
You can grind tapioca pearls up smaller if that makes them easier to use. 

Tapioca can be used to thicken soups and sauces.  Google for tips, it's been a while since I've done it.

Tapioca is also the secret ingredient in my family's pumpkin pie. It makes it thick and binds it together.  I often use it just to make a custard.  Again google, the exact recipe is a secret.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1966 on: December 08, 2017, 09:22:22 AM »
For your popcorn, pop a large batch and then put it in small containers.  It's a great grab and go snack at my house. 

If you're a fan of something sweet, make caramel corn. I used this recipe with leftover corn syrup from our pecan pie baking at Thanksgiving. 

Or subtly sweet, try kettle corn. 

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1967 on: December 08, 2017, 12:13:44 PM »
Welcome, Mialao!

Mialao

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1968 on: December 09, 2017, 02:37:58 PM »
Welcome to the thread. It sound like you've made a very good start.

A simple curry dish:
- Cabbage, shopped in small pieces.
- Union, chopped
- Minced meat
- Potatoes or a mashed potatoes
- A few spoons full of curry, depending on how string

Cooked and mash the potatoes. Stir fry the minced meat and the union. Add the cabbage until softened. Add as much curry powder as you like. Mix together with the potatoes. Serve.
Thanks for the warm welcome. That recipe sounds tasty and i think I will give it a try this week. I happen to have some cabbage left from making another dish and some lamb mince in the freezer. Will report back how it turned out.

Tapioca is also the secret ingredient in my family's pumpkin pie. It makes it thick and binds it together.  I often use it just to make a custard.  Again google, the exact recipe is a secret.
I'll try that as soon as I have used up the two packets of starch I have in my pantry ;-) I didn't realize that tapioca is basically the same. Thanks for that recommendation.

If you're a fan of something sweet, make caramel corn. I used this recipe with leftover corn syrup from our pecan pie baking at Thanksgiving. 

Or subtly sweet, try kettle corn. 

Kettle corn sounds nice. So does pecan pie - need to Google that one

Today I used up hazelnuts, almonds and apricot jam in gingerbread and some kind of apricot almond slices.

No curries involved. But I am planning to make Tom Yum tomorrow.

How is everybody else doing?

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1969 on: December 09, 2017, 04:23:02 PM »
Just back from an international work trip, so no progress. However, last night, rather than take out, I heated up a freezer dish. It was quick & easy, & saved us from takeout. Woohoo!

Hoping to make pistachio butter tomorrow.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache

LostGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #1971 on: December 13, 2017, 01:31:34 PM »
We've been working on this for a while and we've finally cleared out the garage pantry mostly! This was by getting my husband involved and when he realized that we had 3 boxes of cheerios and he kept buying them.

It's also the season where our freezer gets jammed full of bread products, so that doesn't help but its lovely to have so many bread options for hearty meals.  We have Kings Hawaiian rolls, some other potato rolls, my favorite frozen biscuits from Costco (x2 packages) that they only have during the holidays and an herb slab.  I usually skip bread so its a treat!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1972 on: December 13, 2017, 03:44:16 PM »

-Stale pistachios. Seriously, they have gone stale. May toast them & serve them in another way. Or, may try my hand at pistachio butter! http://cookingontheweekends.com/2015/12/how-to-make-homemade-pistachio-butter/
-Use up the last of the cashews (the cashew butter was a huge hit, so I'll incorporate this)
-Pesto - lots of it in the freezer, so will plan more meals with it
-Protein balls. I made one batch that wasn't as good, so they linger in the freezer. No making fresh new granola bars until I make my way through these.
-Frozen breakfast sandwiches (the ones with the stale muffin tops). Will need to just keep going through them

Overall, feeling really good about what's in the pantry, and my organized freezer!

I have continued to eat down my preferred granola bars, which will quickly only leave me with my less preferred protein balls. Once that's over, I have to throw away the recipe I used when I didn't like them.

I did manage to use up one of my jars of green olive tapenade (used as a sandwich spread). Have made less progress with basil. I also have a tub of hummus on its last legs, & need to sort that out as well.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1973 on: December 13, 2017, 04:47:01 PM »
Froze the blueberries and ate the last of the pasta salad last night.

It's a bit over a week until we leave to spend Christmas with family so have to use up: potatoes, onion, garlic, a lemon, a corb of corn, a heap of bananas (I'll let them ripen then freeze for smoothies), milk, yoghurt, bread (will freeze if there is any left), one passionfruit, a heap of eggs...

Wait, banana, passionfruit, eggs - this calls for pav!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1974 on: December 13, 2017, 06:57:09 PM »
Froze the blueberries and ate the last of the pasta salad last night.

It's a bit over a week until we leave to spend Christmas with family so have to use up: potatoes, onion, garlic, a lemon, a corb of corn, a heap of bananas (I'll let them ripen then freeze for smoothies), milk, yoghurt, bread (will freeze if there is any left), one passionfruit, a heap of eggs...

Wait, banana, passionfruit, eggs - this calls for pav!

We are in the same position. Leaving in about 10 days, and need to use up a bunch of stuff. My produce obsessed husband (love him. There are so many worse things to be obsessed with, I realize. But, drives me waste loathing mind crazy) will undoubtedly try to do a full grocery shop on Saturday. I think I'll gently recommend that I manage the shopping this weekend.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1975 on: December 14, 2017, 01:04:17 PM »
It's been eat out of the freezer week because my monthly grocery shopping trip is tonight:

We used up the rest of the cherry tomatoes in salads Sunday.

Tuesday was a teriyaki chicken breast from the freezer with a bag of okra.

Last night was leftover corned beef soup, which I'm eating the last of for lunch as I type this along with the rest of the okra.

Tonight is breakfast burritos which will use up the rest of the tortillas and a roll of Jimmy Dean pulled from the freezer last weekend.

And, may I just say, boy does a bag of baby spinach go a long way!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1976 on: December 16, 2017, 01:40:23 PM »
I just dug into the basement pantry and pulled all of the canned goods out.  I still have two jars of sauerkraut from my first time making it back in 2010.  There were also things we just plain are not going to eat, like the beans I experimented with canning last year.  I made a shelf for things that need to either be thrown out or fed to the chickens.

For the rest of it, I put away the 2017 canning in a separate section not to be touched until I use the items from previous years.  The oldest stuff, I brought up and put front-and-center and will be eating lots of oatmeal or yogurt breakfasts with apple butter or canned peaches mixed in. There are also about a dozen jars of soup that will cover me for work lunches for awhile. After the pineapple and guavas I purchased this week, I'm on a fruit-buying moratorium as I also have a huge CostCo bag of blueberries in the freezer in addition to all the canned stuff.

At least this is a good lesson in what types of canned goods we will and will not eat.  In future I'm doing less variety of the staples, and fewer of the fruit products, which we don't seem to use at all.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1977 on: December 17, 2017, 09:56:29 AM »
Saw this thread, and hadn't eaten breakfast yet. Made myself one of the freezer breakfast sandwiches! :-)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1978 on: December 17, 2017, 10:43:43 AM »
We ate half a trout, traed with salt, sugar and dill, that has bern in the freezer for months. I made sauce from lots of seldom used spices in our cupboard. We ate french bread that you need to bake for the second time. Just in time before it expired. And we finshed a tin og wok mix, eating as a Thai inspired soup.

We ate in a Thai restaurant recently and I really liked the flavours in the food. I am inspired to make such food more often at home.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1979 on: December 17, 2017, 04:32:53 PM »
Used up a jar of salsa (salsa chicken), a heap of frozen veggies, and four potatoes.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1980 on: December 18, 2017, 06:34:39 AM »
Black sesame seeds have been languishing in the pantry since we stopped eating sushi rice. They are really good on top of mangos and plain yogurt.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1981 on: December 18, 2017, 10:10:20 AM »
-Ate another breakfast sandwich. 7 to go!
-Husband ran out of bread crumbs for his recipe, which included hollowing out a baguette. . . showed him he could make bread crumbs out of the "insides" of the baguette. He thought it was genius. ;-)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1982 on: December 18, 2017, 11:45:47 AM »
Black sesame seeds have been languishing in the pantry since we stopped eating sushi rice. They are really good on top of mangos and plain yogurt.

I like them on avocados too.  Or you could make Gomashio.  ETA: the one my aunt makes is more like this, with seaweed:  http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/gomasio-japanese-sesame-seed-condiment-135282

I actually had lots of them too, and ended up grinding them into tahini.  Need to remember to make a tahini salad dressing with some of it tonight; thanks for the reminder!

I made a batch of "tuna" salad using canned sardines instead.  Eating it on crackers right now for lunch.  Used up the last of a sad bunch of celery, and some capers and homemade sport peppers.  Quite tasty, and my co-workers haven't complained about the smell.  Yet.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 11:55:47 AM by horsepoor »

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1983 on: December 22, 2017, 09:05:05 AM »
-Ate another freezer breakfast sandwich. Just 6 left!
-Used up most of the remaining chicken for dinner last night - will polish it off tonight
-Eating lots of produce, before we leave on our trip.
-Making do with things in the fridge/pantry before we take off

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1984 on: December 22, 2017, 03:02:24 PM »
I love this thread!
Reading it inspired me to roast up some yams languishing in a bowl, then ate that with millet & left-over home-made chutney.

I have heaps of dried plants (my sister is a herbalist), so this is a good reminder to keep things moving. Made some hibiscus and mint tea to take to work with me.

Also someone mentioned turmeric--it's a great one to use for golden milk (I drink a quick version of this every morning).
Boiled water, finger of ginger (or powdered), tsp turmeric, some cinnamon, spoonful of almond/cashew butter or a scant handful of nuts to make it creamy. Blend up (high powered blender works best) and enjoy :)

Challenge: use up a bag of wheatlets and
                 another of buckwheat groats.

Mialao

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1985 on: December 27, 2017, 03:25:30 PM »
Golden milk sounds interesting. I suppose this should also work with plain milk, right? I don't have any nut butters and will pass on buying new stuff for the next weeks.

We will hopefully be moving soon - so as much food as possible has to get eaten. My pantry starts looking quite streamlined, but the freezer is still packed. Couldn't resist the free berries from my parent's garden. But I'm using those in smoothies every day.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk

frugalkristen

• Stubble
« Reply #1986 on: December 30, 2017, 08:18:49 AM »
I need to join in - I just made did an inventory of my freezer and I should be good for the month of January.  I do have some sides in the pantry and a few veggies but probably not quite enough.  I still want to spend $0 at the grocery store for the month.  I know I can do it - but my boyfriend can't.  He isn't as thrifty as I am so he'll want to buy stuff to have the 'perfect meal'.  I'm still going to give it a try though.  I like a challenge and am looking forward to making new dishes with ingredients on hand!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1987 on: December 30, 2017, 04:17:35 PM »
Today I used up 2 half bags of appies from Christmas Eve, 8 two-day-old homemade buns became a bread pudding, 8 eggs were hardboiled for sandwiches, a bag of cookie mix was made into cookies by my son, and quinoa was cooked for the fridge for the next few days. Now it's time for tea!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1988 on: December 30, 2017, 09:02:48 PM »
Made tamales tonight and used up 2 Basque chorizos that had been in the fridge for several days, an can of olives that had been opened and sitting in the fridge for over a week, lots of dried tomatoes from the garden, two jars of last year's canned salsa, two turkey thighs frozen from a Thanksgiving sale, and tallow and duck fat I'd rendered and had stored.  Now we have 12 meals' worth of tamales for the freezer. 

Turned some tahini into a nice salad dressing that will be used up within a few days.

Tomorrow I'm canning another batch of green soup which will use up the last of the collards from the garden.

Pulled lamb livers out of the freezer and plan to make them into dog treats tomorrow.

frugalkristen

• Stubble
« Reply #1989 on: December 31, 2017, 10:59:55 AM »
So I made one last trip to the grocery store to pick up a couple of small things for January (onions, frozen veggies for the end of the month) - now I plan to spend nothing on groceries for the month.  I know it seems weird to shop today knowing I will not need these items until later in January but that will stop me from grocery shopping weekly and buying stuff I don't need.  A little money spent today will save a lot later!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1990 on: December 31, 2017, 11:22:51 AM »
-We are having steak, potatoes & salad for dinner. We will also use the rest of the baguette & goat cheese for a crostini appetizer.
-We will do the following with all of the fridge that remains by tomorrow: pack lunches for the plane, freeze anything that will freeze well, pack the remaining produce in our bags & take it home with us. Hoping to get the waste as close to zero as possible!

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1991 on: December 31, 2017, 11:33:51 AM »
Used up the turkey that was supposed to be for last Christmas for this Christmas (family illness meant we didn't end up hosting).  Best turkey ever - I guess we should 'age' all our turkeys in the freezer for a year first.  : )

Tonight will be steaks of the same vintage, for the same reason. I had actually forgotten they were in the freezer, and was delighted to find them buried under the bread and not looking freezer burned.  Also the last potatoes, sweet potato, and salad hanging around from Christmas.  Bonus that I didn't need to go for groceries in -22C weather.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1992 on: December 31, 2017, 02:19:30 PM »
So I made one last trip to the grocery store to pick up a couple of small things for January (onions, frozen veggies for the end of the month) - now I plan to spend nothing on groceries for the month.  I know it seems weird to shop today knowing I will not need these items until later in January but that will stop me from grocery shopping weekly and buying stuff I don't need.  A little money spent today will save a lot later!

That's quite a challenge!  Best of luck! 

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1993 on: January 01, 2018, 06:56:50 PM »
To use up (mostly NYE leftovers):
- mac and cheese
- shaved ham and turkey
- meatballs
- smoked cheese
- hummus
- flat bread
- sourdough
- bread rolls
- pullapart
- eggs
- celery
- carrots
- salsa
- chips
- corn chips
- quinoa salad
- bananas
- tomato
- red onion
- shallots
- mince
- chicken breast

I'm out of apples and frozen broccoli, which I eat every day, but I'm holding out for as long as possible for the next shop.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1994 on: January 01, 2018, 08:57:01 PM »
- mac and cheese
- shaved ham and turkey
- meatballs
- smoked cheese
- hummus
- flat bread
- sourdough
- bread rolls
- pullapart
- eggs
- celery
- carrots
- salsa
- chips
- corn chips
- quinoa salad
- bananas
- tomato
- red onion
- shallots
- mince
- chicken breast

I'm out of apples and frozen broccoli, which I eat every day, but I'm holding out for as long as possible for the next shop.
I'm sad I'm so far away, because I'm excited about your leftovers! They sound amazing. We came back to an empty fridge tonight & a freezer pizza. ;-)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1995 on: January 01, 2018, 09:43:55 PM »
- mac and cheese
- shaved ham and turkey
- meatballs
- smoked cheese
- hummus
- flat bread
- sourdough
- bread rolls
- pullapart
- eggs
- celery
- carrots
- salsa
- chips
- corn chips
- quinoa salad
- bananas
- tomato
- red onion
- shallots
- mince
- chicken breast

I'm sad I'm so far away, because I'm excited about your leftovers! They sound amazing. We came back to an empty fridge tonight & a freezer pizza. ;-)

Come on over! I'm sure I'll have a new batch of leftovers by the time you get here!

I wanted to buy a frozen pizza when we were shopping for NYE but husband reminded me we're tight on freezer space.

Also, I had leftover chicken kebab, a scoop of mac and cheese and the last of the frozen broccoli for lunch today and it was freaking amazing.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1996 on: January 02, 2018, 05:21:58 AM »
^ That does sound delicious.

I realized yesterday that I know longer know what lurks on the bottom of my freezer pile, so it's time to start this challenge once again!

Goal this time is to excavate freezer via consumption.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1997 on: January 02, 2018, 08:29:47 AM »
- mac and cheese
- shaved ham and turkey
- meatballs
- smoked cheese
- hummus
- flat bread
- sourdough
- bread rolls
- pullapart
- eggs
- celery
- carrots
- salsa
- chips
- corn chips
- quinoa salad
- bananas
- tomato
- red onion
- shallots
- mince
- chicken breast

Come on over! I'm sure I'll have a new batch of leftovers by the time you get here!

I wanted to buy a frozen pizza when we were shopping for NYE but husband reminded me we're tight on freezer space.

Also, I had leftover chicken kebab, a scoop of mac and cheese and the last of the frozen broccoli for lunch today and it was freaking amazing.

Tell me more about the frozen broccoli. Do you do something special to prep it? I'd love to get in more vegetables at lunch or dinner, but find it difficult to make frozen broccoli into anything appealing.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1998 on: January 02, 2018, 01:51:29 PM »
- mac and cheese
- shaved ham and turkey
- meatballs
- smoked cheese
- hummus
- flat bread
- sourdough
- bread rolls
- pullapart
- eggs
- celery
- carrots
- salsa
- chips
- corn chips
- quinoa salad
- bananas
- tomato
- red onion
- shallots
- mince
- chicken breast

Tell me more about the frozen broccoli. Do you do something special to prep it? I'd love to get in more vegetables at lunch or dinner, but find it difficult to make frozen broccoli into anything appealing.

I do absolutely nothing special to prepare it.

I'm not much of a salad person but happy to eat frozen broccoli (sometimes with a bit of cauliflower for variation) every day.

I microwave it for two minutes at home to help thaw it, put it in a Decor lunch container with whatever else I'm having (salsa chicken, leftover steak, etc), and microwave it for 90 seconds at lunchtime.

I generally just rely on whatever I'm with the broccoli to give it a bit of flavour, but I really have no problem eating it plain.

I used to cook it first but Budget Bytes taught me that isn't necessary, as long as it's defrosted properly, and it makes for much nicer broccoli because it stays firm and bright green.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1999 on: January 02, 2018, 01:55:36 PM »
- mac and cheese
- shaved ham and turkey - cheat Cubanos for dinner last night
- meatballs - husband finished these yesterday
- smoked cheese - freezer for the next time I make mac and cheese
- hummus
- flat bread - freezer
- sourdough
- bread rolls - freezer
- pullapart
- eggs
- celery
- carrots
- salsa
- chips - taking to work
- corn chips
- quinoa salad
- bananas - freezer for smoothies
- tomato
- red onion
- shallots
- mince - freezer
- chicken breast - this was only a day old from the butcher and it had turned :(

List update.

When I got home last night husband had bought cucumbers and corn.

Me: What did you think I meant when I said we weren't grocery shopping this week?
Him: We needed a couple of things.

>.<

Bless him, he was being helpful.