Author Topic: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2  (Read 1183623 times)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
Re: Eat All The Food In Your House - Take 2
« Reply #1400 on: February 26, 2017, 10:54:20 AM »
Today eating some slices moose meat that I froze from a big chunk some months ago. Together with self picked cantharels. Served with sourkrout that was one extreme sale in the shops around Christmas.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1401 on: February 26, 2017, 01:32:19 PM »
I have several large freezer containers of rich turkey stock, courtesy of our Thanksgiving turkey. Any suggestions for using it that do NOT involve carbs? DH needs to control carbs for his blood sugar.

Maybe soup that is heavy on the vegetables and has a bit of brown rice or wild rice?

Yeah, I make a lot of soups with homemade stock. If the stock is good you can put almost anything in and it will be delicious. You could make a lot of different traditional soups and sub in zucchini noodles or cauliflower rice, or do a search for "low carb soup" and I bet there are websites with great recipes.

Homemade stock is also great for braising meats (beef stew, short ribs, pot roast, pulled pork, lamb shanks, etc.) especially if you want to make the cooking liquid into a gravy/sauce.

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #1402 on: February 26, 2017, 07:45:05 PM »
I have several large freezer containers of rich turkey stock, courtesy of our Thanksgiving turkey. Any suggestions for using it that do NOT involve carbs? DH needs to control carbs for his blood sugar.

Maybe soup that is heavy on the vegetables and has a bit of brown rice or wild rice?

I've found that good homemade turkey stock really elevates butternut (or other) squash soup.  Not the sweet kind - think onions, garlic, sage, squash, turkey stock - then blended.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1403 on: February 27, 2017, 02:37:20 PM »

I've found that good homemade turkey stock really elevates butternut (or other) squash soup.  Not the sweet kind - think onions, garlic, sage, squash, turkey stock - then blended.
YUM!

I regularly make soup with no noodles but usually shredded chicken and vegetables.

This weekend, I'm planning to make chicken stock with all of the bones in my freezer (I have a LOT stored up).  Then I'll make two kinds of soup. 
I will probably make a few cornmeal muffins to go with the soup too. 

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1404 on: February 27, 2017, 02:45:04 PM »
Bacon flavored syrup would be divine on pancakes or waffles, IMO.  :D

We're back to freezing temps which had me feeling domestic yesterday so I made the following:

Low Carb blueberry pancakes used up most of the fresh blueberries
Flax muffins-almost out of flax seed now
A strawberry dessert used up another pound frozen strawberries
Browned ground chuck for today's lasagna and I used up leftover Ragu spag sauce from the freezer, a remaining container of cottage cheese, a zucchini, and the rest of the fresh spinach
Enchiladas for last night's supper used some of the spinach and I served it with Budget Bytes not refried beans.  Only 3 more frozen containers of the latter!
Homemade low carb "Doritos" used more flax seed and coconut flour

I need to refocus on the vast array of condiments again.  Last week's pork roast did use the mango chutney...

I love this thread!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1405 on: February 27, 2017, 02:58:15 PM »

You know we are going to be asking for recipes, so I'll go first! :) The above sounds awesome and I have a lot of flax...

Fished out some frozen asparagus for dinner tonight. Also making crashed spuds which will use some frozen rosemary.

Took out a couple of lamb shanks from the freezer, will make a lamb ragu for dinner tomorrow night. I never use a recipe but it is great for using up spices, tomatoes, condiments, left over stock, open bottles of wine...

Over the weekend we used up the last of our bag of rice, used to be a staple, now eaten very rarely. Felt great getting it used up and NOT going to run out and restock!

Hubs has asked for me to make granola, so that'll be good to use our bulk oats that we purchased before switching to lower carb.

Onward and emptier :D

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1406 on: February 27, 2017, 04:31:31 PM »

You know we are going to be asking for recipes, so I'll go first! :) The above sounds awesome and I have a lot of flax...

Thank you for asking, Swick!

http://ditchthewheat.com/low-carb-chili-doritos/

To me they taste cracker like.  I baked them for 8 minutes, but we are at high altitude (over 5,300 feet).  Next time I'll bake them slightly longer for a crispier version. :)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 04:33:34 PM by MountainGal »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1407 on: February 27, 2017, 04:54:26 PM »
Last night I made a pot of curry with my last package of ground beef, last can of coconut milk, last onion, last garlic and ginger, chili paste, some bell pepper, part of a cauliflower and roasted butternut squash.  Will be eating leftovers of that the next few days.  Dinner tonight was some crumbled up sausage with cabbage, bell pepper and a little sweet potato, and fried egg on top.  Coworker wants to go out to dinner this week which:  a) spendypants, and b) cuts into my ability to eat up all my food.

Used the last of my coffee this morning, and thought about buying some on the way home, but I'm just going to be fancy and buy coffee on my way to work for the next four days.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1408 on: February 27, 2017, 08:49:00 PM »
So far so good this week.  Saturday night we had pasta, sauce, and sausage all from our stock.  Yesterday I managed to use up some ice cream (haha) and a box of coconut milk.  Tonight we used two cans of tuna.

I pulled a couple things out of the freezer to use this week.  The freezer is much harder for me than the pantry for whatever reason, so it's super full.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1409 on: February 27, 2017, 11:00:07 PM »
As already confessed in UFF, I got take-out twice this weekend (which stretched into multiple meals).  Even though I had "food from work" to eat, and stuff on my pantry/freezer hit list.  So today, I finished up my take-out pizza for lunch, but had veggie soup from last Sunday, and salad and cherry cheesecake from Friday night (house blessing - I had to leave early, but they packed up food for me to take).

Tomorrow night is Shrove Tuesday Pancake Supper at the church, so I'll definitely have to take some more of the Friday night leftovers to eat for lunch, or else I'll never get all this food eaten!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1410 on: February 28, 2017, 05:47:21 AM »
I completely forgot to pack my lunch this morning.  It's such an ingrained habit, I can't believe I did this.  Grrr.  I think I was fixating on the novelty of getting coffee on the way to work.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1411 on: February 28, 2017, 09:23:45 AM »
I completely forgot to pack my lunch this morning.  It's such an ingrained habit, I can't believe I did this.  Grrr.  I think I was fixating on the novelty of getting coffee on the way to work.

Oh dear!  We understand the gravity of the situation.  That means not only the expense of getting lunch, but also impacts your goal of finishing up the food before you leave.  :-(

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1412 on: February 28, 2017, 09:35:11 AM »

I pulled a couple things out of the freezer to use this week.  The freezer is much harder for me than the pantry for whatever reason, so it's super full.

I find using up things from the freezer takes more forward thought and planning then opening the pantry and seeing what can be combined with what to create at least a decent meal.

Last night's dinner plans got derailed, so will have sausages from the freezer tonight and the lamb ragu maybe tomorrow? I'll crock put it today so it is at least ready to go. We did use up some pinto bean flakes and other assorted leftovers for quick tacos, so I still consider it a win :)

Thnks for the doritos recipe, MoutnainGal! I'll have to give them a try this weekend!

Hubby is going to be away next week for work Mon-Wed-ish (depending on flights getting in, which our area is notoriously bad for) So he could be gone all next week. Will be a good time to use up some of the foods I like but he doesn't.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1413 on: February 28, 2017, 11:33:14 AM »
You're welcome, Swick!  Let us know how it goes!

~~~~~~~~~~
I was going to combine another meal into the Crock Pot this morning, but we've got a house showing this evening (fingers crossed it sells quickly!), so I didn't want to offend potential buyers who might be vegetarian, etc.

So instead, I'll make this Thursday:

Chicken breasts and broth from the freezer, and chilies and enchilada sauce from the pantry served on low carb tortillas w/ cheese.  A side of Not Refried Beans for DH from the freezer. :)

I love coming home from work to the yummy smell of a completed slow cooker meal.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1414 on: February 28, 2017, 04:41:33 PM »
Remembered to use some butter with cilantro frozen in it that I made in August!  I only used about a tablespoon, maybe 4 tablespoons left. I'm determined not to forget it.

Used it and a little chicken fat to make veggie fajitas. This was weird and scared. I've never saved and cooked with animal fat.  I'm almost vegetarian and just don't use much meat, but when I sick last week te boyfriend brought over a chicken (partly because he wanted to see how it cooked in my pressure cooker). When I put the broth away I couldn't bring myself to throw out the fat. So... will see.  Not going to be a habit, but I'll respect this bird by not wasting it.

I also ate part of a (free from Kroger) can of refried beans that was a candidate to live in the cupboard forever.  I ignored the ingredients list.  Largely motivated by wanting the can to plant flowers in.

rebecca527

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1415 on: February 28, 2017, 04:47:06 PM »
Found a little pearl barley and a little quinoa in the pantry - not enough of either to use on its own, but I'm going to cook both up and combine them with pesto from the freezer and some of the sundried tomatoes and parmesan cheese in the fridge, and maybe some canned chickpeas if I decide I want more protein. Bam, fancy pesto grain salad for lunches the next couple days.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #1416 on: February 28, 2017, 10:02:10 PM »
Found a little pearl barley and a little quinoa in the pantry - not enough of either to use on its own, but I'm going to cook both up and combine them with pesto from the freezer and some of the sundried tomatoes and parmesan cheese in the fridge, and maybe some canned chickpeas if I decide I want more protein. Bam, fancy pesto grain salad for lunches the next couple days.

Anyone have other recommended uses for barley? Looks like I have a couple of cups that are about to expire.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1417 on: February 28, 2017, 11:02:37 PM »

Anyone have other recommended uses for barley? Looks like I have a couple of cups that are about to expire.

Soup would be my go-to for just a little bit of barley.  Goes nicely in a variety of soups, I think.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1418 on: March 01, 2017, 01:39:19 AM »
We have sprint unions in the house. My stomach reacts badly on eating onions, so I follow the tip to only eat the green part of spring onions and drop any other onions. Based on advice elsewhere on this forum, we saved the white leftovers (5 cm) and put it in a glass of water. Now, a few days later, there is new green stuff growing out of it. Maybe I can soon be self sufficient in spring unions. ;-)

We also had coriander with roots still on them. These have been planted in some earth in the living room, as we had a pot standing there for some other purpose that didn't quite work. That coriander also seems to grow.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1419 on: March 01, 2017, 10:58:00 PM »
Linda_Norway, in the summer I get some spring onions (sprint unions - autocorrect LOL, right?) early in the season, eat some right away, plant them, and just keep harvesting all through the summer.  You can for sure be self-sufficient in that area!

So, tonight my dinner tried to kill me. 

I was using up the last of the rice, corn and carrots that a church member sent home with me from a house blessing on Friday night.  I was eating in dim light, while I caught up on the forums.  My church member is Caribbean, and likes a bit of spice.  So do I.  But not to chew on a hot pepper, which had obviously been scooped up out of the pot and into my take-out container.

Yowza.  I have never experienced such burning.  Milk, brushing my teeth twice, more milk did nothing to soothe the pain.  I know I'm a lightweight, but that was one hot pepper!  I ended up looking online, and based on advice I found, resorted to eating spoonfuls of peanut butter right out of the jar.  Eventually it subsided. 

So then I had to decide what to do with the rest of the rice/corn/carrots, and what to do about getting a proper dinner into me!

After checking it over carefully for any further offenders, I ate it all up.  That's what MMM would do, right?

Anje

• Stubble
« Reply #1420 on: March 02, 2017, 03:09:51 AM »
I'm trying not to go shopping until end of week. So yesterday I had breaded cod for dinner, only I didn't have breadcrumbs, so I used desicated coconut mixed with oat instead. I "bread" my fish with anything at hand, but this was really, really good. Plus: that coconut will never be used for anything else.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1421 on: March 02, 2017, 08:36:45 AM »
Aww, PJ that sounds horrible!

Hope your mouth is feeling better today! I suppose maybe it's not so frugal to use stuff up if you have to drink up a ton of milk and peanut butter to recover!

Frugal Fail: I decided to make a second batch of chicken stock from my bones. The second one comes out quite a bit lighter, but still useable, the dogs really like it. But I was super tired and forgot about it and left it out overnight. Then I wasn't sure if the pups would be okay with it, so I tossed it. Hmm I should have double checked. Anyone know if it would have been okay for them? I suppose then gnaw on old bones...

Wins:
 - I found a couple of packages of asparagus in the freezer I have been thoroughly enjoying them! Sauteed with some sausage crumbles leftover from making soup (freezer) and the little end of chorizo my hubby left. devided into two and had one portion with scrambled eggs for lunch yesterday and will finish it off today.
 - Sausage, chorizo, beans, chicken stock, spices, homemade instant soup mix with a bit of asparagus thrown in made a really tasty soup! Everything was freezer/pantry staples to use up.
 - Lamb shanks turned out awesome! Was able to use up a bottle of wine that had ben gifted to us and opened probably a little too long ago.

Challenge: Going through the pantry to figure out what oddball ingredients I can use up next week while Hubby is out of town.  I must keep in mind I'm only cooking for one though :)

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1422 on: March 02, 2017, 09:42:15 AM »
Frugal Fail: I decided to make a second batch of chicken stock from my bones. The second one comes out quite a bit lighter, but still useable, the dogs really like it. But I was super tired and forgot about it and left it out overnight. Then I wasn't sure if the pups would be okay with it, so I tossed it. Hmm I should have double checked. Anyone know if it would have been okay for them? I suppose then gnaw on old bones...   

Depending on temperature in the house and how many hours left out, I might have been inclined to heat it up to boiling again for a little while, then give them a small bit (cooled!) today and see if there were any untoward reactions.  But, eh, maybe not worth taking the risk.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1424 on: March 02, 2017, 10:22:50 AM »
http://www.thekitchn.com/soup-left-out-overnight-is-it-still-safe-to-eat-178685

Good link, thanks! I liked these lines: "A reboiled three-day-old stock may be safe to eat, but it is now seasoned with millions to billions of dead bacteria and their inactivated toxins. It's conceivable that they might add an interesting flavor, but more likely that the bacteria have feasted on the stock's sugars and savory amino acids, the air has oxidized and staled the fat, and the stock has become less tasty."

I think just overnight would have been ok, from about 9-6, but I already tossed it. Good info though!

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1425 on: March 02, 2017, 11:05:40 AM »
I seem to have forgotten to eat breakfast today.

But, I'm working from home, so had breakfast for lunch.  Finished a box of cereal.  Now only 637 more boxes of cereal left in the cupboard.  (Not quite.  But feels like it.)  There wasn't quite enough cereal for a filling meal, so I added some raw oatmeal to it.  I still have lots of oatmeal to use - I should maybe do this more often.  I have to be "in the mood" for cooked oatmeal, but could make a dent by throwing a handful on top of whatever kind of cereal I'm going to eat cold.  And apparently, raw oatmeal is healthy!

http://www.livestrong.com/article/412378-is-eating-uncooked-oatmeal-healthy/
http://www.md-health.com/Raw-Oatmeal.html

Cereal-wise, for the next little while I need to focus on eating the 1.5 boxes I have of Weetabix, which expired in February, before I open any other boxes of cereal.  They are another "in the mood" food, but I would really like to eat them before they go too much longer past date.  Not that I'm overly worried about them going bad, but they aren't going to improve in tastiness as they get older.  (It's probably a best before date, rather than an expiry date, but you know what I mean.)

@swick - "A reboiled three-day-old stock may be safe to eat, but it is now seasoned with millions to billions of dead bacteria and their inactivated toxins..."  - Ewwwww!

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1427 on: March 02, 2017, 02:13:10 PM »
http://lilinhaangel.com/2014/12/peanut-butter-and-banana-weetabix-breakfast-bar-recipe/

Ok, that is intriguing.  And it uses both Weetabix and oats!  I don't have any bananas right now, but that's going on the "to make soon" list!

SmartyCat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1428 on: March 02, 2017, 04:19:00 PM »

Soup would be my go-to for just a little bit of barley.  Goes nicely in a variety of soups, I think.

I have some barley in the freezer, and am planning to try Alton Brown's barley water recipe. I have no idea what it tastes like, but I've had good luck with his recipes and like the Mary Poppins reference. :) I'll post after I try it.

SmartyCat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1429 on: March 02, 2017, 04:19:56 PM »
Frozen watermelon and frozen strawberries are all GONE!!

Shelley

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1430 on: March 02, 2017, 04:28:48 PM »
I need to join! We are trying to clear out the cupboard to make way for a new two week meal plan that will cut our grocery bill in half. So it will go from $303 Australian a week to $150 for all food, pet food, toiletries etc. until I get the cupboard cleared I'm spending $75 a week on fruit and veg, milk, bread and meat, and using the cupboard stock.

Last night we had chicken and lentil tacos, I have about ten old El Paso dinner kits I got half price a while back. So the red lentils, a chicken breast, can of tomatoes and smoky BBQ seasoning from the taco kit in the slow cooker with some water. It was so good, one of the yummiest meals in a long time!

Today I made coconut and raspberry Muffins with some old shredded coconut and frozen raspberries, and I'm going to use my last can of chickpeas to make some hummus.

Weird things to use up are
Glacé cherries
Weetabix crumbs
Apricot jam
Rice bubble cereal

There is tons of other stuff but it's mostly meal sachets and jars, plus all the Mexican kits. So that's just going to take time.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 04:30:20 PM by shelleyvdp »

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1431 on: March 02, 2017, 05:03:18 PM »
I need to join! We are trying to clear out the cupboard to make way for a new two week meal plan that will cut our grocery bill in half. So it will go from $303 Australian a week to $150 for all food, pet food, toiletries etc. until I get the cupboard cleared I'm spending $75 a week on fruit and veg, milk, bread and meat, and using the cupboard stock.
Welcome!
Today I made coconut and raspberry Muffins with some old shredded coconut and frozen raspberries
YUM!
Glacé cherries
Weetabix crumbs
Rice bubble cereal
You could use the three of these to make a sort of granola bar-esque thing.  I use honey to bind my bars together.

I've been doing well cleaning out my freezer, and I've started on my pantry.  This week, I pulled out a frozen chicken curry I made last month, and I've been eating it all week for lunch and dinner.  I made the last of our brown rice.  We have A LOT of white rice to go through. 

I gave away a few jars of jam because I can't eat all of the jam.  We have way too much!

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1432 on: March 02, 2017, 05:41:07 PM »
Finished up a jar of wheat germ. I don't plan to replace it unless I find it almost free again. I like flax meal better. I'll stock one, not both.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1433 on: March 02, 2017, 06:21:20 PM »
Cereal-wise, for the next little while I need to focus on eating the 1.5 boxes I have of Weetabix, which expired in February, before I open any other boxes of cereal.  They are another "in the mood" food, but I would really like to eat them before they go too much longer past date.

Weird things to use up are
Weetabix crumbs

3 Weetbix, crushed*
1 cup SR flour
1 cup dessicated coconut
3/4 cup brown sugar
125g butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla essence

1. Preheat oven to 180 C.

2. Grease and line a lamington tin.

3. Combine Weetbix, flour, coconut and sugar in a bowl. Mix melted butter and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients and mix.

4. Spoon into lamington tin and press down with back of spoon.

5. Bake for 20 mins.

6. Ice with melted chocolate or icing.

*Can crumble whole Weetbix or use crumbs if you already have them on hand.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1434 on: March 02, 2017, 08:44:24 PM »
Thank you all.  I was just planning to eat my Weetabix as, you know, Weetabix.  Bowl, cereal, milk, sprinkle of sugar, 2 mins in the microwave.  Who knew there were so many Weetabix Recipes out there?!?

For anyone else who might be interested, more:  http://www.weetabix.ca/recipes

I have not made anything with the Weetabix, but tonight I have been "In the Kitchen."

Someone gave me a big jar of homemade "soup mix" a couple of years ago.  You know.  Lentils, split peas, and various beans, plus a flavouring package.  I never find those work well, since everything takes such different lengths of time to cook.  So, I sorted them out into a few categories!  Crazy, I know, but it was kind of fun in a soothing, meditative way.  They have sensory play bins with rice for kids, this was like an adult version, not just with texture but with colour, size, shape. 

So, there are 3 small pots of bean in the oven.

1.  Standard "baked beans" type recipe - made with all the smaller white beans (black eyed peas/pigeon peas and so on) plus molasses, dry mustard, onion, ketchup and a couple drops of hickory smoke.

2.  Black beans and adzuki beans - simmering in red wine and salsa, with garlic, onions, celery, carrots and red peppers (carrots and red pepper from the freezer - some of my "salvaged from a veggie tray" supply), with various spices, including a dash of nutmeg and allspice.  Hoping it will turn out all warm and sweet and savoury.

3.  White and red kidney beans plus a mottled reddish bean of a similar size (I can't think of the name) and a tiny number of garbanzos with lots of celery and onion and water, plus a small jar of 4 pepper and olive antipasto for flavouring.  Hoping for an Italian-ish flavour.  The antipasto was left over from Christmas 2015 gift giving - not something I would normally open at home by myself, and hadn't gotten around to giving it to anyone else.  Figured it might as well get used somehow!

Lentils and split peas of various types were returned to the jar and will be cooked another time.

Also, I've been wanting to get some stuff out of the freezer.  One, a family size tray of cheese cannelloni went in the oven with the beans, and there is a small apple caramel pie in now.  The cannelloni had been in the freezer for a long time - I think I bought it when someone was going to be coming over for dinner, and that didn't happen so it stayed there.  I've turned 6 cannelloni into 4 servings, had one for dinner and put the other three in the fridge for meals over the next couple of days.  The dog licked the cardboard tray VERY thoroughly clean!  The pie is from The Big Apple, and was bought on the way home from Montreal last spring.  But I bought too much other stuff to eat all at once, so I stashed it in the freezer and forgot about it.  I will eat some for dessert in a little while - yum!

And finally, I made hot crash potatoes!  Lots of oil, a little black pepper, and a generous sprinkling with some fancy garlic basil sea salt (given to me Christmas 2015, and I'm making very slow progress with it!)  Plus some extra basil to crank up the flavour.  So good.  I am definitely going to introduce some people to this way of making potatoes.  I had 2 on the side with my cannelloni, and a couple more servings in the fridge to eat this week.

While the oven is hot, I also threw in some oatmeal, which I'll use on top of the dog's evening meal over the next little while.  Tonight, in addition to licking the cannelloni tray, she got all the off-cuts of celery from all my chopping of veg, which made her very happy.  She loves getting some people food, I like her getting something every day that's not just dry kibble (even though I accept it as nutritionally balanced, it's not fresh!) and she helps me use up stuff that otherwise would go to waste.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1435 on: March 02, 2017, 10:09:23 PM »
And ... since the oatmeal didn't take long to cook, and the oven was staying on for the beans a little while longer, I mixed up a very simple cornbread (cornmeal, flour, baking soda and powder, salt, milk) and popped that in as well. 

Everything is now out, and once it's all had a bit of time to cool down so I can pack it up and put it away, I will be heading to bed.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1436 on: March 02, 2017, 11:10:18 PM »
I expect a report on all the improvised bean dishes!

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1437 on: March 03, 2017, 09:31:13 AM »
I expect a report on all the improvised bean dishes! 

Will do! 

I basically put several containers of each thing in the freezer, and left out one serving per type in the fridge for this week's meals.

Breakfast update.  Weetabix.  What else?!?!  With a little oatmeal sprinkled on top, and a little brown sugar.  And blackberries still left from last week's shop.  It was 3 small containers for $5 - I'm down to half of one container left.  I like blackberries over raspberries because they hold up better over time.  Plus, you can rinse them without them turning to mush.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1438 on: March 03, 2017, 02:07:47 PM »
As promised, a report.

I had baked beans on toast for lunch.  The baked bean recipe is one that I've used before, from the Mennonite cookbook "More With Less."  Though I've never cooked a pound of navy beans all at once, so I just estimate the rest of the ingredients.  Flavour profile was just perfect, once I added a teeny bit of ketchup to the bowl (which I would normally do with canned baked beans too).  The beans were not super soft, and the sauce is more runny than creamy like Heinz, but it was tasty and filling and I was satisfied.

But, a no vegetable lunch, except for the little bit of onion in the beans.  So afternoon snack was a granny smith apple, quartered and smeared with peanut butter.  Yum!

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1439 on: March 03, 2017, 05:43:20 PM »
As promised, a report.

I had baked beans on toast for lunch.  The baked bean recipe is one that I've used before, from the Mennonite cookbook "More With Less."  Though I've never cooked a pound of navy beans all at once, so I just estimate the rest of the ingredients.  Flavour profile was just perfect, once I added a teeny bit of ketchup to the bowl (which I would normally do with canned baked beans too).  The beans were not super soft, and the sauce is more runny than creamy like Heinz, but it was tasty and filling and I was satisfied.

But, a no vegetable lunch, except for the little bit of onion in the beans.  So afternoon snack was a granny smith apple, quartered and smeared with peanut butter.  Yum!

Hmm. I consider dried beans a vegetable.  Though I also consider them a protein and I don't think they should take the place of a fresh vegetables too often, but except for the added sugars in BBQ i don't consider it much different from any kind of dried beans, in my region that includes long green beans.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1440 on: March 03, 2017, 05:56:33 PM »
Yay, going home tomorrow!  I ended up throwing out:  1/3 bag frozen peas, 1/3 bag frozen pearl onions, some crumbled sausage, a very small sweet potato, and about a cup of shredded cabbage. That's pretty much it.  I am bringing along an unopened tub of hummus, sliced bell peppers, crackers, salami and odds and ends of cheeses.  Some of that will be eaten on my 11 hour trip tomorrow.  I also have some rice and dried beans in my suitcase, but they'll be the first thing in the bin if my suitcases are overweight.  I could have just about zeroed everything out if I hadn't forgotten my lunch on Tuesday, and gone out with a coworker last night, but the waste is within acceptable limits. Oh, I also left three bottles of beer for the neighbors; hopefully they enjoy them!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1441 on: March 03, 2017, 08:49:39 PM »
Finished off a can of soup for dinner.  Only 6 more to go!

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1442 on: March 03, 2017, 10:47:54 PM »
As promised, a report.

Hmm. I consider dried beans a vegetable.  Though I also consider them a protein and I don't think they should take the place of a fresh vegetables too often, but except for the added sugars in BBQ i don't consider it much different from any kind of dried beans, in my region that includes long green beans. 

Good point, PMG.  I guess I tend to classify them as a protein source, rather than in the vegetable category.  Hey, my veggie count for the day just went up!

Anyway, attended a joint "World Day of Prayer" service organized by a few churches in our area tonight.  There was food afterward, so no need for supper when I got home!

I ate some cheese and crackers, some veggies and dip, samosas, spinach fritters of some kind (like pakora but without onion or other veggies?)  And a small piece of chocolate cake, and one chocolate chocolate chip cookie, and a teeny tiny piece of nanaimo bar.  Certainly not what I would call healthy, but there were a couple of bits of vegetable in all of that!

recklesslysober

• Bristles
« Reply #1443 on: March 03, 2017, 11:19:59 PM »
Made some lentil tacos tonight: onion, mushrooms, zucchini, tomatoes and lentils sauteed with paprika, cumin, chili powder, and garlic powder. On corn tortillas with a mix of avocado, lime juice, and cilantro on top.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1444 on: March 04, 2017, 08:50:49 PM »
I've been cooking! 

I finished:
2 cans of chickpeas. 
container of tahini
bag of gifted dried fruit
a chicken carcass from the freezer
2 chicken breasts from the freezer

I made hummus, chickpea shawarma over romaine, biscotti, chicken stock, and shredded chicken.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1445 on: March 04, 2017, 10:24:18 PM »
Way to go, 4alpacas!

I meant to ask you guys the other night, when I did my big cooking marathon ... because I made cornbread, I was rooting around in my baking supplies.  And since I was looking at my baking supplies, and since I was talking in another thread about trying to get going with using my bread machine again, I checked the expiration date on my jar of yeast.  2015.  You guys think that it's still worth trying?  Maybe with a small loaf with no fancy ingredients, so if it doesn't rise much I've not wasted a lot of stuff (though I'd probably eat it anyway!)

In other news, tonight for dinner I had a serving of the black bean/adzuki beans that were cooked in red wine and salsa, with some added veggies and spices.  Very nice, and cornbread on the side didn't hurt either.  It didn't taste "like" anything that I could compare it to, but it was kind of sweet, and a little bit spicy, and generally very pleasant to eat.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1446 on: March 04, 2017, 10:58:29 PM »
You can test your yeast.  Just do it when you're ready to bake. 

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1447 on: March 04, 2017, 11:21:49 PM »

Oh good, very helpful, thanks!

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1448 on: March 05, 2017, 12:05:55 PM »

Oh good, very helpful, thanks!

For the future if you keep it your freezer it will last (apparently) forever.  I bought the Costco-sized bag (2 1lbs??) of yeast more than 5 years ago.  Still going strong.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1449 on: March 05, 2017, 11:11:22 PM »
Hey horsepoor, there's a thread in Ask a Mustachian, about maxing out a per diem.  I remembered that you'd been eating well while away, and thought you might have some good suggestions for the fellow.