Author Topic: Drop my way too expensive cell phone plan by Friday!  (Read 6570 times)

Katnina

• Stubble
  • 33 & happily retired!
Drop my way too expensive cell phone plan by Friday!
« on: June 08, 2013, 03:43:11 PM »
I've been inspired by the Communications Superguide and it's time for me to make a move!
I'm currently paying $20/month to Verizon for iPad mini data and $97/month to AT&T for unlimited talk/text/data for my iPhone 3GS.  Time to change things up.
I think I'm going to go with air voice wireless $10/month plan for the iPhone, and keep the data on the IPad mini.  I could just get google voice and do the iPad mini phone over talkatone, but I like to have my phone with me in my pocket when I walk the dogs or go running, just in case of an emergency, so this seems like a good combo.  Whenever I'm not running or walking the dogs, I have my purse with me and therefore my iPad, so for maps and email and yelp stuff on the fly, I will use the ipad.
Want to get this sorted out by Friday, June 14th!

Katnina

• Stubble
  • 33 & happily retired!
Re: Drop my way too expensive cell phone plan by Friday!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 09:15:36 AM »
Update:
I submitted the unlock request to AT&T, ordered a SIM card from airvoice, and set up a passcode for my AT&T account.
Now just have to wait for the SIM card to arrive & unlock to take effect!

jfer_rose

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 05:24:49 AM »
I may join you in this!! My AT&T contract just ended and I ordered a portable Freedom Pop device last week (my solution for the data problem). So I need to order an Airvoice sim card and get my phone unlocked from AT&T.

jfer_rose

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 07:43:27 AM »
OK, I ordered my Airvoice Sim card this morning. One step further toward dumping AT&T.

Katnina

• Stubble
  • 33 & happily retired!
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 12:36:28 PM »
Nice, jfer!  Ill keep you posted when I get the airvoice sim-would love to hear how the freedom pop works for you!

MountainFlower

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 11:57:12 AM »
I'm currently working on this.  We don't have any data plans, but 5 phones on AT&T.

I cancelled one yesterday.  I have one under contract, but I'm going to pay the ETF on it.  The rest have no contract.
I ordered an Airvoice sim card to test on my phone
I set up a Page Plus phone for my FIL because AT&T never worked well for him. 
I won't get this done by Friday because the phones at in the hands of elderly parents and we'll need to switch them over ourselves when we see them.  However, I'm hoping that this is my last billing cycle with AT&T.  HOORAY!

Katnina

• Stubble
  • 33 & happily retired!
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 09:32:13 PM »
Still haven't gotten my airvoice SIM card so I missed my Friday deadline, but as soon as I get it, I'm switching!

Katnina

• Stubble
  • 33 & happily retired!
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 09:32:55 PM »
Sounds great, Mountain Flower!  Keep us posted!

jfer_rose

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 05:21:36 AM »
I didn't meet the Friday deadline either but I am making progress. Will keep you updated.

katieboo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 10:55:47 AM »
Great job! Gosh I'm jealous of all of you who stayed with AT&T and can now unlock your phone. I'm with Verizon with a iphone 4s that can only be unlocked for international use. Bad decision. I rarely talk or text on my phone, but I do use data because I am not near a public wifi spot during the day. i really only want a data plan and minimal to no talk and text because I think I can use google voice for that.

Crunched the numbers including early termination fee for Verizon where I currently pay $91/month, and it looks like they got me until end of contract date in November. Then I'm considering Virgin Mobile $35 300 mins talk unlimited text and 2.5 GB data, no contract. I'll have to buy a new phone. But I can't wait to change this bad decision I made to sign up with Verizon.

If anyone wants to challenge the Virgin Mobile plan, please do, I'm looking for ideas.

Baylor3217

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2013, 10:02:18 AM »
I have a iPad mini that's wireless enabled. What are the monthly data plan costs?

Katnina

• Stubble
  • 33 & happily retired!
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 08:35:35 PM »
Hi Baylor, my verizon data plan for the ipad mini is $20/month for 1GB and i have only gone over the monthly data limit 1x...when I forgot to turn wifi back on while at home streaming a tv show.  I've had the data plan for 5 months and I like it.
So my Airvoice SIM card came in the mail Saturday and I just unlocked my iPhone and am about to port my # from ATT to Airvoice. Wish me luck!

Katnina

• Stubble
  • 33 & happily retired!
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 10:12:44 AM »
Phone # ported, new sim is in, but I just texted my husband's sprint iPhone 4 & it didn't go thru.  Then I texted myself from his phone & that didn't go thru either. But I was able to call him from my phone & that worked.  Anyone know what could be wrong? It was just a 1-word text both times, so shouldn't be mms, right?

Katnina

• Stubble
  • 33 & happily retired!
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2013, 10:28:00 AM »
Called airvoice & texts weren't on-they tuned them on, I powered my phone on/off & texts are working now, hooray! Now I just have to set up a google voice # so I can gab for free over wifi :).

tylerherman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 05:27:18 PM »
I don't think I've seen it mentioned anywhere on this site but I use the 12 Plan https://www.pagepluscellular.com/plans/the-12/ 250 minutes 250 texts 10mbs of data for $12 a month. Not having a lot of data sucks but most places have wifi these days.

Katnina

• Stubble
  • 33 & happily retired!
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2013, 01:18:59 PM »
We were travelling in Northern Michigan and away from wifi AND I hadn't yet set up Talkatone/google voice to use over my ipad's data, so I've blown thru $5 of talking and texting already-in one week! egads.  But I set up google voice & talkatone today on my iPad so that should reduce my use of the iphone quite a bit. hoping i can make it to the end of 30 days without having to re-up.
I've noticed, however, that texts between iphones are being charged for by airvoice- anyone else have this issue?  I thought iphone to iphone texting was free?

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2013, 01:26:26 PM »
I've noticed, however, that texts between iphones are being charged for by airvoice- anyone else have this issue?  I thought iphone to iphone texting was free?

iMessage uses data, straight SMS uses texts.

Katnina

• Stubble
  • 33 & happily retired!
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2013, 04:46:12 PM »
Thank you!

BeardedMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2013, 07:49:14 PM »
My cell plan should be gone by Friday, and I'm sure Verizon will be really sad to see my money go :) 

How did they ever convince us that these plans were necessary in the first place? Over 10 years, that's over $10,000 before compounding!

madage

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2013, 08:00:51 PM »

You may need to "re-enable" iMessage on each phone. Go into Settings and hunt around a bit. The background of the text in Messages app will be blue for iMessages, green for SMS.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!