Author Topic: Drink all the Tea in 2024!  (Read 5357 times)

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
Re: Drink all the Tea in 2024!
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2024, 07:51:16 AM »
... I am so sad that the B&B Mistletoe & Wine is gone. It was a really interesting approximation of mulled wine and such a nice alcohol free warm holiday drink. ...
I like to blend mulling spices in my teas for this same reason, & make my own chais - you can create many flavored teas from whatever loose leaf plus spices or fruit (or sometimes a dash of fruit juice or liqueur.) Iíve never had the tea youíre missing, but perhaps blend mulling spices, a little dried orange or lemon zest, plus plain honeybush for body & mild sweetness? As a bonus, most spices are good for at least three steeps.

Thanks for the great idea!  I tried it out and worked pretty well. I used my hibiscus tea and added cloves, cinnamon stick, anise. And then added honey and some orange oil that I had left over from an old cocktail kit.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2024, 08:11:03 AM »
Still haven't made a single pot of herbal tea...I'm failing miserably at this challenge.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2024, 04:45:04 PM »
We have faith in you @Metalcat ! :)

I have been consuming cool nettle/chamomile/mint tea and it is satisfying. In fact I'll go get a cup right now.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2024, 05:07:25 PM »
Update

Republic of tea strawberry basil iced tea pitcher sized bags 4
Republic of tea cranberry blood orange black 4 2
Tazo Energize (rated 5 star caffeine level) 10  8
Tisanes powdered Thai tea (barely qualifies) 3
Steep organic earl grey1 0
Bigelow green 1
Choice green moroccan mint 2
Tazo wild sweet orange 1
Generic green 1
Generic black 13
Choice organic decaf earl grey 5
Celestial seasonings true blueberry 5  3
Celestial seasonings raspberry zinger 11 10
TenRen Pu-Erh (DH's tea that I'm afraid to try) 19
Some unlabeled Mexican anise tea (DH's that I'll never try)9 8
Some looseleaf tea I was given as a gift but can't currently find or name by type
« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 01:12:52 PM by fuzzy math »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2024, 05:25:57 PM »

I have been consuming cool nettle/chamomile/mint tea and it is satisfying. In fact I'll go get a cup right now.

I made a pot of rooibos today!

Drank it through a long sales team call today. I think sipping from a dainty fine china tea cup is now going to be my zoom calling card.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2024, 06:31:20 PM »

Drank it through a long sales team call today. I think sipping from a dainty fine china tea cup is now going to be my zoom calling card.

Thats it! I'm definitely looking up your ancestors coat of arms now!

Remember the pinky finger is supposed to point straight outwards from the bone china teacup handle..:)

The accent we can work on later!

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2024, 06:35:59 PM »
I ended up throwing away the Bourbon Chestnut Herbal.  Even with a higher amount of loose tea plus a longer brewing time, it wasnít something I enjoyed.  I. Changing numbers on things I can remember off the top of my head, but not being obsessively accurate.

Currently drinking Bigelow Caramel Apple - very good.

Herbal:
Revolution Southern Mint 20 19
Tazo Glazed Lemon Loaf  28
Celestial Seasonings Cinnamon Apple Spice 2
Hayleyís Lemon & Ginger 2
Twinnings Heartea 5
Tazo Passion 7 4
C.S. Sleepy Time 12
Spice & Tea Exchange Gingerbread Cookie 2 oz
S&T Bourbon Chestnut 2 oz

Caffeinated:
Benner Chai 12
Darvilleís Earl Grey 20
Revolution Bombat Chai 20
Earl Grey 20
Twinnings Lady Grey 15
Tazo Vanilla Bean Macaron 8
Bigelow Caramel Apple 65
Sogo CrŤme BrŻlťe Green 1 oz
S&T White Tropical Tea 2 oz
True Brit Jasmine 25

The Sleepytime bear is my role model.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2024, 07:04:48 PM »

Thats it! I'm definitely looking up your ancestors coat of arms now!

Remember the pinky finger is supposed to point straight outwards from the bone china teacup handle..:)

The accent we can work on later!

You can look up my coat of arms, my family are Danes. Good luck turning a Dane into a Brit though...

I do have beautiful fine china though, two sets.

One is Royal Doulton Fanfare (2008)
https://www.silverqueen.com/product-list/CHINA/FANFARE-ROYAL%20DOULTON/Page2

The other is Royal Worchester Silver Chantilly (1960s).
https://www.echoschina.com/product/royal-worcester-silver-chantilly-cup-and-saucer/

That said, I also have a prized set of Bolesławiec pottery (aka Polish Pottery) mugs, which are about the best stoneware tea or coffee mugs in the world.
https://www.polishpotteryhouse.com/products/15-oz-mug-polka-dot-h1293b?_pos=3&_sid=78e910193&_ss=r

Lastly,.for when I want a trashy David's Tea latte, I have Bodum hand blown, double walled glass mugs.
https://www.bodum.com/ca/en/10608-10us-bistro?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAzJOtBhALEiwAtwj8tohBzyTasXOkNNUrOfVYzqIGgzQiCJ8CDwzGK9BzfTV8ziDzT9GNqBoCWQIQAvD_BwE

Yes, I have pretty extreme hedonic adaptation to my teacups, but it's just REALLY nice to have the right cup for the kind of tea experience you want to have.

I'm also have a Bodum, hand blown, double-walled, French press style tea pot, which is pretty awesome, but I can't find a photo of it online because they discontinued it.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 07:33:55 PM by Metalcat »

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2024, 08:08:22 PM »
I should join this challenge too. I broadened my tea collection so that there would be a variety for company to choose from, but I have been drinking water almost exclusively lately.
I found a lovely tin at the thrift store that still had tea bags in it - but I was not going to drink anything from the opened package so I set those ones aside for tea dying. I'm not sure yet what I will dye, but I'm ready!

rosarugosa

• Bristles
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2024, 07:18:31 AM »
For me, the tea challenge is primarily about storage space/footprint.  We will be launching a kitchen remodel at the beginning of next month. I would like to avoid packing up tea we don't like or drink, moving it to another location temporarily, and then bringing it back into the kitchen and unpacking it and putting it away to languish for several more years.

I have a very special, wonderful fruit tea from Serenipitea.  In fact, it is apparently too wonderful to even drink, and at the rate I am going, my loved ones can mix it with my cremains before scattering them in the woods.  I think I should aim for having some as an after-dinner drink tonight.

I have some Darjeeling that a friend brought back from India that I am working on right now.  Darjeeling used to be my favorite, but now I mostly drink Newman's organic black tea, preferably with a squeeze of lemon.  The Darjeeling still tastes good though, so no reason not to drink it up.

DH has some herbal teas from Bigelow that are quite good and meant to be cold brewed and served as iced tea.  He made a pitcher last week and we drank it, so we should do it again this week.

I have a collection of 5 cute tea tins from Celestial Seasonings.  I would like to be able to fit our entire collection of "fancy" teas in these tins other than the large cannister of organic black tea.

(These are all tea bags except for the Serendipitea, because I am an uncouth savage from the US).

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2024, 02:10:54 PM »

I have a very special, wonderful fruit tea from Serenipitea.  In fact, it is apparently too wonderful to even drink, and at the rate I am going, my loved ones can mix it with my cremains before scattering them in the woods. I think I should aim for having some as an after-dinner drink tonight.

Ha! Good luck enjoying that wonderful tea rather than becoming one with it.

I am making a pot of lemon peel, lemongrass and licorice root. No idea how it will turn out but was feeling mildly adventurous..

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2024, 02:59:57 PM »
Oh right...I'm supposed to be making tea, I'll get on that now.

rosarugosa

• Bristles
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2024, 04:48:15 AM »
I did drink some of the very special tea last night.  Surprisingly, it is still very flavorful.  I kind of expected it to taste like dust, since it must be about 10 years old. In fact, I made it a bit too strong so will tweak when I make it again, hopefully tonight.
DH made a pitcher of the iced tea, so we'll be working on that as well.

I remembered the name of the Serendipitea.  It is "Ruby Sipper." I had discovered it at a wonderful French restaurant, and I remember thinking at the time that it was almost as good as an after-dinner cognac.  Now that I no longer drink cognac, I should really be able to make better use of this lovely tea. When I looked it up online, I saw that I made it triple strength, which certainly explains why it was too strong.

https://www.serendipitea.com/product/RubySipper.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAkp6tBhB5EiwANTCx1EGr-RxI8OvJxYVhGQ1lTvoIvhjk8gPpzcag9nUyQH3j_emcI3LWKxoCNR8QAvD_BwE

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2024, 05:27:01 PM »
Steep organic earl grey1 0
Bigelow green 1
Tazo wild sweet orange 1
Generic green 1
Generic black 13
Choice organic decaf earl grey 5 4
Some unlabeled Mexican anise tea (DH's that I'll never try)9 8
Some looseleaf tea I was given as a gift but can't currently find or name by type

OOPS bought more tea that was on clearance!

Mementa organic Earl grey 40
Mementa organic moringa lemongrass 20 19 (not a fan of after the first try? will try double strength next time)
Mementa organic ginger black 20

rosarugosa

• Bristles
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2024, 04:20:59 AM »
Slowly and steadily working my way through the Darjeeling.  Nothing interesting to report, but I've concluded that I don't really like "perfumey" teas.  The Darjeeling isn't too bad, but it's not my preference anymore.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2024, 04:28:07 AM »
I am definitely enjoying having tea during my zoom sessions.

Moments of silence are pretty important, and if I'm sipping tea, it's very clear that I'm just not going to say anything for a few seconds.

So now I have reason to get through a TON of tea. 

Green_Tea

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2024, 08:04:41 AM »
Update:

- 122 bags of black tea, ordered by best before date, drink black tea instead of coffee in the morning. - happening

Teas that are post, nearing or without best before date:
- Chai (10) 9
- Ginger curcuma basil (7) 6
- mint (18) 17
- rose (2)
- green tea mint (1)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 08:09:21 AM by Green_Tea »

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2024, 10:43:58 AM »
I did drink some of the very special tea last night.  Surprisingly, it is still very flavorful.  I kind of expected it to taste like dust, since it must be about 10 years old. In fact, I made it a bit too strong so will tweak when I make it again, hopefully tonight.
DH made a pitcher of the iced tea, so we'll be working on that as well.

I remembered the name of the Serendipitea.  It is "Ruby Sipper." I had discovered it at a wonderful French restaurant, and I remember thinking at the time that it was almost as good as an after-dinner cognac.  Now that I no longer drink cognac, I should really be able to make better use of this lovely tea. When I looked it up online, I saw that I made it triple strength, which certainly explains why it was too strong.

https://www.serendipitea.com/product/RubySipper.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAkp6tBhB5EiwANTCx1EGr-RxI8OvJxYVhGQ1lTvoIvhjk8gPpzcag9nUyQH3j_emcI3LWKxoCNR8QAvD_BwE

This tea sounds right up my alley! I guess I'll have to drink what I have faster so that I can order this :)

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2024, 01:33:24 PM »
Made some sage tea which was waaaaaay too strong..had to dilute it in order to be able to drink it. Bonus that I ended up with a litre of it to drink.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2024, 07:55:26 PM »
That Ruby Slipper sounds amazing - just my flavor profile!

As Cherry Lane said, I drink a lot of iced tea in the summer.  My go to is Tazo Passion.  Iím going to have to add the lime juice - Iíve never tried that!  I have 1/2 gallon mason jars and pour lids
https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Regular-Mouth-Flip-Mason/dp/B0CNQ7PCMQ/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3LC6BAOH6G20I&keywords=Mason+jar+pour+lids&qid=1705977509&sprefix=mason+jar+pour+lids%2Caps%2C109&sr=8-2
Which are fabulous if you are into mason jars.  They are cheaper at Walmart or Temu.  Or you can be really fancy and use the plastic top to the shaker bottle or Parmesan cheese for the smaller mouth jars.

I donít bother brewing my ice tea.  I just put 3 tea bags in per half gallon of water and put it in the fridge overnight.

Iíve made a serious dent in my herbal tea.  Iíve discovered I like the Southern Mint quite a bit.  The  Glazed Lemon Loaf is not my fav but I donít mind it.  I will start drinking that more.  The Gingerbread Cookie Tea I just donít like, so I will scatter it to the winds.

Herbal:
Revolution Southern Mint 20  9
Tazo Glazed Lemon Loaf  28. 24
Celestial Seasonings Cinnamon Apple Spice 2
Hayleyís Lemon & Ginger 2
Twinnings Heartea 5 3
Tazo Passion 7 4
C.S. Sleepy Time 12 11
Spice & Tea Exchange Gingerbread Cookie 2 oz
S&T Bourbon Chestnut 2 oz

Caffeinated:
Benner Chai 12
Darvilleís Earl Grey 20
Revolution Bombat Chai 20
Earl Grey 20
Twinnings Lady Grey 15
Tazo Vanilla Bean Macaron 8
Bigelow Caramel Apple 65
Sogo CrŤme BrŻlťe Green 1 oz
S&T White Tropical Tea 2 oz
True Brit Jasmine 25

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2024, 09:10:14 PM »
I really like the idea of downsizing my herbal tea collection and was thinking of making a pitcher of herbal iced tea for an evening drink.

I take the leftover tea from the wife's pot of tea which used up three precious tea bags, and make real iced tea with it, instead of the expensive powder shit we used to buy.  I still can't figure out why she puts 3 bags in the pot and then pours 60/40 milk into the cup.

We can afford the tea, only because we just rolled up $24 in loose change!

MMM problems, lol.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2024, 05:11:14 AM »
I've now managed to get into a semi-regular habit of making herbal tea.

Last night I had some kind of apple blend, something or other, which I had with cream, because I sometimes like a fatty/milky tea. It wasn't sweet at all because Cha Yi doesn't put frickin' sugar in their tea, but since I haven't had sugar this month, so the apple and cream made it dessert-ish.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2024, 11:48:08 AM »
I usually donít drink milk in my herbal tea (just my black tea based teas) except for Celestial Seasonings Bengal Spice which has a chai-like flavor that begs for milk or cream.  So good!  Always reminds me of @NinetyFour who gifted me Bengal Spice when I couldnít find any near me!

I tried the whole Ďdrink ACV for your healthí thing and put it in apple cinnamon tea.  Was very tasty.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2024, 06:15:09 PM »
I will not allow myself to degrade the sacred act of making and drinking tea by making comments on the right and wrong ways of making our national hot beverage. Believe me there are lots of WRONG ways!

But I will point out an international incident was narrowly avoided this week after some heretical chemistry professor suggested adding salt (like WTAF?)! Thankfully the American Embassy in London headed off such blasphemy by issuing a statement that "tea" made in such a fashion was not official US policy and they will always make in the correct manner... "by microwaving it."

Crisis averted!

For the full discussion of this vitally important topic... https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/4426295-us-embassy-uk-adding-salt-to-tea/

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2024, 07:17:54 PM »
Joining!

I don't have a ton, but I have enough that I should finish it off before I buy more.

ETA the teas (don't know how much of each I have, but it is a lot of loose leaf):

Caffeinated:
Bird and Blend Great British Cuppa
Bird and Blend Toffee Bonfire
Bird and Blend Apple Strudel
Bird and Blend Enchanted Narnia
August Uncommon Violet Metallic
August Uncommon Southern Sugar Bourbon (or something like that)
Good Earth Sweet and Spicy
Bird and Blend Builders Brew
Tazo Earl Grey

Herbal:
David's Tea Mother's Little Helper
David's Tea Valerian Nights - 1 box down, 1 to go!
Bird and Blend Fruit Salad
Bird and Blend Mistletoe and Wine (My favorite! and it was discontinued last year and I'm almost out)
Vermont Artisan Coffee Hibiscus
Vermont Artisan Coffee ginger lemongrass
David's Tea Chamomile Dreamland
David's Tea 911
Celestial Seasonings Apple Cinnamon
Traditional Medicinals Throat Coat

Ran out of throat coat - but put a new box in my grocery order. My throat has been scratchy.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2024, 07:28:09 PM »
Guys, Iíve hit the sad point where I am now bored of my 3 options for herbal tea.  But I will power through!

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2024, 12:59:06 AM »
Guys, Iíve hit the sad point where I am now bored of my 3 options for herbal tea.  But I will power through!

Speaking of "Wrong ways"... WTF is "herbal tea"?.. Where I come from you'd get labelled something horrible and somebody would suggest building a bridge out of you!... *

Thats a bit like playing "foot"ball.. By throwing it around!

* Reference.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6AaToZlzYA

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2024, 06:19:35 AM »

Speaking of "Wrong ways"... WTF is "herbal tea"?.. Where I come from you'd get labelled something horrible and somebody would suggest building a bridge out of you!... *

Thats a bit like playing "foot"ball.. By throwing it around!

* Reference.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6AaToZlzYA

If I'm talking to a Brit, I'll call it a herbal infusion, if I'm talking to literally anyone else, it's a herbal tea.

Turtle

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2024, 07:28:24 AM »
I will not allow myself to degrade the sacred act of making and drinking tea by making comments on the right and wrong ways of making our national hot beverage. Believe me there are lots of WRONG ways!

But I will point out an international incident was narrowly avoided this week after some heretical chemistry professor suggested adding salt (like WTAF?)! Thankfully the American Embassy in London headed off such blasphemy by issuing a statement that "tea" made in such a fashion was not official US policy and they will always make in the correct manner... "by microwaving it."

Crisis averted!

For the full discussion of this vitally important topic... https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/4426295-us-embassy-uk-adding-salt-to-tea/

I've heard of salting grapefruit, and gargling with salt water when congested.  I have never, ever heard of adding salt to tea.  That's a new one.

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2024, 05:56:46 PM »

Crisis averted!

I've heard of salting grapefruit, and gargling with salt water when congested.  I have never, ever heard of adding salt to tea.  That's a new one.
I know itís a thing in some arid mountain cultures, kind of an answer to Gatorade when you combine it with milk. I tried it, itís odd but itís not bad at all.

Add some fruit juice, or spices! Which herbals do you have?

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2024, 06:47:41 PM »
Made a big batch of dandelion root chai the other day...really delightful even though it sounds odd.
And have been drinking cool mint tea as well.

rosarugosa

• Bristles
« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2024, 04:18:38 AM »
I finished all the Darjeeling.  Going forward, I will probably stick to Newman's Organic Black Tea as my preferred daily drink.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2024, 09:34:05 PM »
My herbal infusion - so sorry to offend, EFB - would you feel better if I give you candy and ask you to help find my puppy?  Excuse me, as I was saying, my herbal infusions are down to Glazed lemon Loaf, Mint, and Sleepy Time.  Iíve been drinking the mint after dinner and making iced tea out of the Lemon.  I suspect Iíll be all done with them by March.  Which is a good time, bc it starts warming up in March so I will be drinking iced Tazo Passion everyday and less hot tea.

I have not made much a dent into my black teas.  Iíve been drinking too much coffee!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #83 on: February 05, 2024, 10:51:03 AM »
I fell off the herbal infusion bandwagon last week, but DH made me some really nice rooibos last night because I was feeling ill.

I plan to make another pot today for work at 3

tygertygertyger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2024, 09:06:11 AM »
Finished up the mint yesterday. I think it came free with an order of something-or-other a long while back, and I never thought I'd get through it. Now I've gotten a bit dependent on it... maybe I'll have to restock!

So far, I've gotten through 3 / 36 kinds of tea.

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #85 on: February 08, 2024, 10:19:00 PM »
This really is a great idea.

rosarugosa

• Bristles
« Reply #86 on: February 09, 2024, 07:10:41 AM »
I tried a cup of the Trader Joe's Organic Green Tea I had in my stash, and it tasted like a big hot mug of nothing (even after steeping for 15 minutes).  So that went in the trash.  Maybe wasteful, but it was a sunk cost and it's no longer taking up space in my life.

crocheted_stache

• Stubble
« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2024, 08:32:29 PM »
Inspired by a chilly start to today's bike ride, I dug out an insulated bottle that I've had on the shelf a long time. It'll need to brew in some other container with time enough to come down to a drinkable temperature, but I have a way and an excuse for make-and-take tea now.

Green_Tea

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2024, 01:36:05 AM »
To fill your bottle right away, you can brew the tea with less water but same amount of tea and then add some cold water to cool it down to the desires temperature. :)

Green_Tea

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2024, 01:43:02 AM »
Update:

- 122 bags of black tea, ordered by best before date, drink black tea instead of coffee in the morning. - down one box/7

Teas that are post, nearing or without best before date:
- Chai 10/9/8
- Ginger curcuma basil 7/6/2
- green tea mint 18/17/15
- rose (2)
- green tea mint 1
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 01:44:47 AM by Green_Tea »

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2024, 12:37:00 PM »
Steep organic earl grey 1 0
Bigelow green 1
Tazo wild sweet orange 1 0
Generic green 1
Generic black 13
Choice organic decaf earl grey 5 3
Some unlabeled Mexican anise tea (DH's that I'll never try)9 7
Mementa organic Earl grey 40 38
Mementa organic moringa lemongrass 20 19 (not a fan of after the first try? will try double strength next time)

Not much progress. I've been making aero press coffee with all the extra coffee beans purchased for a flavor comparison DS wanted to do (a concept that has now been abandoned). Maybe I should add those here too...

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: February 14, 2024, 02:46:25 AM »
Steep organic earl grey 1 0
Bigelow green 1
Tazo wild sweet orange 1 0
Generic green 1
Generic black 13
Choice organic decaf earl grey 5 3
Some unlabeled Mexican anise tea (DH's that I'll never try)9 7
Mementa organic Earl grey 40 38

Not much progress. I've been making aero press coffee with all the extra coffee beans purchased for a flavor comparison DS wanted to do (a concept that has now been abandoned). Maybe I should add those here too...
Coffee, assuming it has been roasted, loses its flavor profile MUCH faster than tea, so it sounds like your priorities are right. Any fun discoveries?

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #92 on: February 14, 2024, 07:00:13 AM »
Still not officially part of this challenge, but here's an update anyway. Finished off the teas on the left. Finished and repurchased the English breakfast so my houseguest would have black tea to drink, and acquired (from said houseguest) the teas on the right.

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #93 on: February 14, 2024, 07:04:44 AM »
Current state of the tea cupboard. I think I'll tackle the Darjeeling (lower left) next.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2024, 07:06:48 AM by Cherry Lane »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #94 on: February 14, 2024, 10:19:58 AM »
I have a nice pot of herbal tea (oh, sorry, herbal infusion...) on the go right now.

I really, really like having my nice warm tea during therapy sessions.

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #95 on: February 16, 2024, 06:58:54 PM »
... Finished off the teas on the left....
What did you make of the Yaupon? The plant is native in my area & I've been idly thinking of harvesting & roasting some.

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #96 on: February 17, 2024, 08:54:37 AM »
It was chai so it mostly tasted like the spices. I couldn't identify the yaupon flavor.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #97 on: February 17, 2024, 10:05:29 AM »
Current state of the tea cupboard. I think I'll tackle the Darjeeling (lower left) next.

This is just wrong on so many levels..

The irony about being an English tea snob is that we don't even grow tea in England, the national addiction was fueled as a construct of the British Empire which is explained below..:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTduy7Qkvk8

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #98 on: February 17, 2024, 10:39:13 AM »
Currently finishing up my morning cup of tea, this one is Royal Blend (Fortnum and Mason brand). It is not one of my top favorites, but it is quite good. Biggest difficulty is keeping tea at the perfect temperature. It starts too hot, then cools slightly and is perfect, then continues cooling and is not hot enough. Will be visiting my sister and while she has tea, it is not MY tea. So I may take some with me.

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #99 on: February 17, 2024, 11:42:57 AM »
Currently finishing up my morning cup of tea, this one is Royal Blend (Fortnum and Mason brand). It is not one of my top favorites, but it is quite good. Biggest difficulty is keeping tea at the perfect temperature. It starts too hot, then cools slightly and is perfect, then continues cooling and is not hot enough. Will be visiting my sister and while she has tea, it is not MY tea. So I may take some with me.

This is why I love vacuum-sealed stainless mugs - ideally with a screw-on, flip-closure thermal lid with rubber/ silicone gaskets. I would avoid paying the Starbucks retail price but sometimes you can find good quality used ones from there; worst case, they're $20 and last for decades. If you'll drink immediately you can add a little cool water & if you flip (but not necessarily seal) the lid between bouts of sips it stays nicely at temperature for a couple of hours. Sealed at brewing temperature, it can stay pleasantly hot for about six hours.

Another option is to use an iron pot, preheated (I pour the water from the kettle into the pot, then back into the kettle to reheat to brew), & pour just a little at a time into a more traditional teacup, which diffuses the heat through the thin cup wall rather quickly. This is nice if you want something to warm your hands on on a cold morning.

Or, sometimes, a combination of the two - pour from a travel mug into a small cup like we used to with big lunch thermoses!