Author Topic: Downsizing My Purse  (Read 10389 times)

CryingInThePool

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRE Target - - 2018 or whenever the mood strikes
Downsizing My Purse
« on: June 08, 2015, 04:02:26 PM »
So with the better weather comes the double burden of a heavy purse.  Adding sunglasses and sunblocker into an already overloaded designer ball and chain which I then lug around everywhere I go in hot weather makes me look and feel ridiculous. 

Recently on vacation I left my purse in the room a lot and just had ID, a little cash, and a credit card to walk around with.  Since, as a good Mustachian, I wasn’t shopping it was really more than I needed and with the added joy of going without a phone it felt so amazing to be free of carrying around all that stuff. My hands and shoulders felt like they were on vacation too! 

So my challenge for myself and anybody else that wants to play along, or share success stories, is to get down to a smaller purse that I already own from my preMMM days (an earlier model of http://www.tumi.com/p/calera-crossbody-0484908D?subcat=true) and reduce overall carrying weight.    To start with I will 1) do a full audit of what I carry and how often/where I use it 2) Downsize wallet 3) Reallocate contents to location they are more frequently used in.

Current Contents of Daily Albatross Known as ‘My Purse’
:
    Wallet (TBD - Coins to car ashtray, use up/trade in gift cards, toss membership cards, general tidying)
    Keys - I’ve got a few keys on my ring that I don’t remember what they are for so try to identify, label, and leave at home.
    Cell Phone
    Work Badge
    Nano and headphones (perhaps leave headphones at home as I rarely use or leave both in car as its primarily for commuting/audio books only)
    Kindle eReader
    Business cards (recycle them – I rarely ever use them and I have some at my office desk)
    Gift Cards in purse sleeves (overflow from my wallet, use up/trade in)
    Pocket size Kleenex (???)
    Allergy Pills (keep in car/desk instead)
    Gum (Toss – I’m not really a gum fan in the first place)
    Glasses cleaner/cloth (keep in car/desk instead)
    Tweezers/Pocket Mirror/Lipstick/Dental Floss (???)
    Medical EOB for FSA filing (Fracking file it!!!)
    Cough Drops (keep in car/desk instead)
    2 pens (cut down to 1)
    Phone/Kindle Charger
    Mini notepad (leave in car, I can take notes on my phone in a jam)
    Receipts to be shredded (Shred them!)
    Tampons (occasional instead of daily)
    Sunglasses (seasonal)
    Face sunscreen (seasonal)

I’m a big fan of minimalism and have already downsized and decluttered most of my home but for some reason the weight of the stuff I carry around with me daily has gone thus far unexamined  (it was organized but not challenged).  That ends today; I don’t want to enter RE with all this stuff hanging off me – it doesn’t bode well for my travel plans if I can’t acclimatize to less or slower access. Like most things in FIRE there is value in understanding where to draw the line between what I ‘need’ and what’s nice to have/for just in case…

sunnyca

• Bristles
Re: Downsizing My Purse
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 05:57:48 PM »
I used to carry a huge purse filled with... stuff (honestly, I don't even remember what I carried now).  For the past year or so, I've switched to being completely purse-free, and it's been awesome.

I bought this iphone case:

http://www.amazon.com/Incipio-Stashback-Wallet-Hard-iPhone/dp/B00BIGL784/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433802300&sr=8-1&keywords=incipio+wallet+case+iphone+5

It fits my driver's license, work ID, a credit card, and a bit of cash.  The ID readers at work can "read" through the case so I never have to take anything out when I need to access a secured door, etc.  I also have my car key separated with a carabiner.  Whenever I leave my car, I just carry my car key and my phone- generally stuffed in a pocket.

Gift cards, additional keys, pens, chargers etc., etc. are left in the glove compartment of my car and in my desk at work.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 06:16:08 PM »
Do you really need an e-reader? If you have a smart phone, you could read on that.

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 06:39:02 PM »
I have a few different configurations, depending on where I'm going/what I'm doing. Hopefully this will give you some ideas about how to slim things down!

Most lightweight: Fits in my pockets if  I it need to, but bad for biking since the phone could fall out of my back pocket
- (smart)Phone + folio-style case (holds 2 credit cards, ID, and access card for work, a few bills)
- Keys: house/bike + earplugs (I do live music a lot, so I try to carry plugs all the time with my keys)

Next most lightweight: For biking, no danger of losing anything
- small wrist bag that fits the above + chapstick/lipstick

Usual biking kit:
Messenger-style bag that holds the phone + keys
+ scarf/hat/water depending on time of day and season and activity
+ sunglasses (almost always sunny here)
+ hand sanitizer (venue bathrooms are usually nasty with no paper towels, I go out to shows a lot)
+ reusable shopping bag (my city banned plastic shopping bags and I never plan properly when I'm going to need an extra bag)
+ ipod
+ cables pouch (phone cable , ipod cable, earbuds)
+ change purse (contains insurance cards, debit card, change, anything rarely needed)

Biking to grocery store/work:
usual biking kit
+ Ortlieb panniers (holds laptop/lunch/sweater/change of clothes)
+ rain jacket/pants (depending on forecast/season)

Car commuting:
Giant weekender-style bag that holds:
- Everything from my usual biking kit
- laptop
- charger
- work notebook
- pens
- to do notebook
- mints
- lotion
- lunch
- other crap who knows what
- changes of clothes as needed

I have prescription sunglasses, so there is a cleaning cloth in their case at all times, plus an extra at my desk.

I use the Diva cup for periods, and use an app on my phone to remind me when I should be carrying it (though it doesn't always quite work out, toilet paper can be pressed into service in event of an emergency). YMMV here. I would suggest tampons at the desk instead of in the purse just because they get less beat up that way. When I used them, they always ended up sort of battered in the bottom of my bag.

For change, I started doing the Kon Marie thing of putting it in a change purse and spending it (expect a few quarters that live in my car's ash tray for parking). I use them up in the self-checkout line at the grocery store. This way, I typically have no change whatsoever!

I am currently working on an iteration for bike commuting that allows for sufficient laptop protection. I'm not crazy about it banging around in my pannier, but I don't think I want a laptop specific bag, especially when my messenger bag is so great. Maybe make a laptop sleeve of some kind.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 08:02:21 PM »
I've carried my wallet in my back pocket, phone and keys in the front pockets for years, and I would never go back.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 08:19:56 PM »
I stopped carrying a purse when I lived in Boston. At the time I got a little credit card size wallet with a key chain on it that would fit in my pocket. And then I discovered that I owned some pants and skirts without pockets.  Bummer in the summer.

In suburbia now, so the purse is back.  Or, more correctly, purses. I do try to keep them relatively small, though. And like sunnyca I got a phone/wallet combo thingy.

Marie Kondo (Life Altering Joy of Decluttering author) noted the contents of most women's purses.  One item made me go "ew!": chewed gum wrapped in a kleenex or small piece of paper. Since reading her book I've decided I will store my unused purses empty. So, guess what I found when I cleaned out my purses today . . .   

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 11:14:26 PM »
I spent almost my whole life carrying no purse, but as of last year (age 37) I had to start carrying around an epi-pen and asthma inhaler 24-7, in addition to the usual stuff that I carried in my pockets (wallet/keys/phone). I really hate having to lug a bag around everywhere (especially with chronic back/shoulder pain) but I haven't come up with a way to carry the meds without it. I've thought about some kind of epi-pen holster that would clip to belt loops, but it seems a bit ridiculous... :-)

My bag is mostly empty though. Phone, a variety of meds, a few kleenex, mints and earplugs.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 04:45:36 AM »
I'm in and will come back w/ an inventory later to add to the post.

For fear of sounding like a total rube - Why is that Tumi purse so expensive? (I have no experience w/ Tumi - but isn't it nylon? Are they considered a designer brand? Does it do something magical, like fold my laundry or print money?)

ETA: List of stuff in my purse:

1/2" stack of cards - library, grocery store, metro, etc. - has to be a better way than this. They drive me nuts.
swiss army knife
free movie pass
2 capstik
wallet (smallish)
pen
a few papers I have copied and need to remember to remove and file at home

Make-up bag that contains my emergency/stuff:
nail clippers,
2 lipsticks (taking one out now and putting in it my desk)
another chapstik
hotel bottle of hand lotion
one tampon
reading glasses
ziptie
USB plug (into wall) and cord for my phone/ipad/etc/
I box matches
black eyeliner pencil (small)
sample size mascara
brown eyebrow pencil (tiny)
cream eye shadow pot
a second USB plug (being removed at this minute - not sure how 2 ended up in there)
mini bottle of advil
2 pens
$40, bandaids and panty liner (all in ziplock bag)
8 safety pins
phone charger battery thing that my boyfriend bought me (that is not going back in)
tiny pot of face/eye cream
headphones
checks

Weekdays and to/from appointments: my massive dayplanner that is 20 years old and stuffed to the gills w/ papers and schedules and post-its. Tried to use a smaller one but couldn't fit the details on the page. Tried to use an electronic one but couldn't make the technological leap. It is smaller than a ipad and weighs less and is highly functional.

I could probably cut way down on the stuff - I don't use the make-up other than when I am traveling. The rest is the sort of thing that is needed unexpectedly (e.g. bandaids and emergency money, and my reading glasses).

« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 01:25:19 PM by MsPeacock »

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 05:43:42 AM »
I stopped carrying a purse when I lived in Boston. At the time I got a little credit card size wallet with a key chain on it that would fit in my pocket. And then I discovered that I owned some pants and skirts without pockets.  Bummer in the summer.

I struggled with this briefly, but I just refused to buy any new pants without pockets, which seemed like it should fix things, right? But then I discovered that women's pants pockets aren't always functional (as in "wallet falls out in a chair" not functional). My solution has been men's Dockers and a belt. I wear that and jeans, and life is better and simpler. Other than funerals, black Dockers can be made to look as dressy as I'll ever need to go again (for funerals, I keep my stuff in my husband's pockets).

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 01:37:58 PM »
My method- I go thru contents daily : receipts with tax papers, everything usu in order( daily use contents ) - mini change purse with debit card, any cash/coins, DL. Lipstick/ChapStick, sunglasses, mini notebook maybe 3x4 inches at most ( memory's shot so this is used more than anything in purse throughout day) , keys ( only house, business, car key, gym & library keycards). Teeny lotion, pen, several of my business card ( I post everywhere) .
I keep a slighly larger bag in car - makeup bag, deodorant, gym/dance clothes, extra bags of meds/vitamins, teabags, current book.

benjenn

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 01:48:29 PM »
It's so funny to see this post because I've been going more and more without a purse after carrying a BIG one for a very long time.  I always figured it was because I was a mom... always had to have anything anyone could possibly need.  My wallet was huge and I even ended up with two wallets... one for credit cards, the other for cash and checkbooks (2 checkbooks for two different accounts!  Ack!). 

More and more lately I've been leaving the purse at home.  I have a small zippered pouch for ID, credit cards and cash.  It has a ring on it for keys but I haven't used that because I has so many keys - half of which I'll leave behind when we FIRE next month.  I'll put that in one back pocket, my phone in the other back pocket and our condo key and fob (also has the car key on it) in a front pocket.  Then I'm good to go.

I've found a few pants with no pockets (I'll get rid of those) but all my jeans and shorts have pockets... and that's all I'll wear once we're at the beach.  So I think a purse will be a thing of the past for me in a very short time!  I'm so ready!

margarita

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2015, 02:18:53 PM »
I recently retired and realized I don't need to lug around a big purse.  I bought a small leather crossbody purse and inside:

wallet (downsized to a smaller wallet as my last one was very big and would not fit in the crossbody)
keys (car key and tiny key for gym locker; no house key as use garage door opener and coded lock on front door)
cellphone
sunglasses (use the same case to put my glasses in when wearing my sunglasses - no need for two cases)
tiny notebook
pen
burts bees tinted lip balm (WHICH I LOVE)
tiny metal case holding tylenol and immodium

That's it!  No makeup (except lip balm), no hairbrush, etc.

It is really nice to not lug a big purse around and use a crossbody when browsing in stores, picking up a few groceries and not having to get a cart to put my purse in.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 02:23:26 PM by margarita »

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2015, 05:25:38 PM »
There is something about a "mom purse." Prior to motherhood I was a small purse person. Once kids appeared - lugging giant bag w/ me (even after the diaper bag days). I always had a couple juice boxes, wipes, hot wheels cars, doodle pad, snacks, etc. etc. I have downgraded a bit - and mostly my purse has to accommodate by dayrunner, which is admittedly rather stout.

I should look to getting a very small cross shoulder bag (I have one) into more use. I really don't need to drag most of this stuff w/ me.

Also - which women's clothing had better pockets!

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2015, 07:00:22 PM »
What is a cross shoulder bag / cross body? ( probably what I'm thinking but not sure. )

Quinn

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2015, 08:42:54 PM »

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2015, 07:39:27 AM »
swiss army knife

nice one

Carried one for years - so handy. It isn't one of the super giant ones w/ 72 blades. Just medium sized w/ scissors and cork screw and a few handy blades. Great for peeling an apple or dealing w/ a splinter or whatever on the fly. I just have to remember to take it out before I go to the airport or courthouse.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2015, 01:22:04 PM »
What is a cross shoulder bag / cross body? ( probably what I'm thinking but not sure. )

The shoulder strap is long enough that you can sling it diagonally across your body. No hands needed to hang onto it.

Moontayne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2015, 09:50:11 AM »
Love my little crossbody bag! I used to always carry a huge purse, so I'd put card/id/keys in my pockets for short trips to the grocery store or whatever, and then end up misplacing/forgetting my debit card in the laundry, so I had to find a solution. On a whim, I bought a cheap crossbody bag from Kohls, and I've been in love ever since. It carries everything I need, is hands free, and I never have to worry about it being snatched from my shopping cart or left somewhere, because it's always over my shoulder.

Daily I carry my face powder, phone, 8+ cards in the purse's sleeves, tampons/liners, cash, keys(I'm down to 4!), hairties, a few kleenex, pens, and the week's receipts, with plenty of room to spare for things I'll need only on certain days, like sunscreen or makeup. Most other things (baby wipes, headphones, deodorant, spray sunscreen, etc) I keep in my desk, in my car, in my gym bag, or at home. It's really amazing how much the little bag will hold though, and I love that it's so organized and I never have to dig around for something in the bottom of a huge bag. I've never once thought "I wish I had a bigger purse" since buying the little one.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2015, 12:23:55 PM »
I've been really happy for the past couple of years with a black leather cross body that is 10 inches by 9 and 1/2 inches. I carry only the basic necessities for me: a small wallet that is never stuffed, my keys, my glasses case, my iPhone and charger, a small hairbrush, a lip balm, and a pen that clicks closed. It is a godsend to be hands free for whatever I need to do, and to feel like no one can snatch the purse off of me. For traveling and sight-seeing, it is light, practical and secure…ditto for daily use at home. There is room in the purse for a limited amount of whatever "extras" I may need from time to time. I keep the inside zippered compartment free in case lady products are needed. I could fit a sandwich or even a mass market paperback in the purse. (Not both.) There is plenty of room for a shopping list, train schedule, a sightseeing itinerary, etc. I don't like it for my Kindle, though…mine is in a leather case, and is just too biggish and heavy in the purse, and I'm really afraid of dropping it, banging it, mashing it, etc. (Not an issue with just a paperback.)

If I really need something bigger, I can put on my ScotteVest with those gazillion pockets, or, for city travel, (usually NYC), just carry a large over-the-shoulder nice-looking black tote. I do keep the purse cleaned out every couple of days…it tends to accumulate receipts, ratty scraps of mints' wrappers, etc. I do wonder if a slash-proof purse would be a good idea just in general…but I guess that's for another discussion.

Mrs.LC

• Stubble
    • Loose Change Living
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2015, 11:17:36 PM »
I know I'm in the minority here but I don't even own a purse. I found that more time was spent cleaning and organizing the purse than was actually using it so out it went. Pockets hold a credit card, phone, and keys. Good enough. 

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2015, 06:59:13 AM »
I'm considering how much I can downsize my wallet so it doesn't take up so much space in my back pocket. Also I carry too many keys most of the time.

CryingInThePool

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRE Target - - 2018 or whenever the mood strikes
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2015, 08:17:36 PM »
So far so good, I’m using the small purse with only a simple pocket wallet, keys, cell phone, work badge, Kindle, pen, & 2 allergy pills.  It’s only been a few days though so I won’t consider the challenge met until a bit more time has gone by.  Want to see how I do without the sunglasses, power cords, etc.

The keys and wallet were really the biggest changes.  Going through the wallet was a trip.  I had so many different marketing/membership cards it was nuts.  Expired Costco, Triple AAA, Insurance cards and punch cards to bookstores, salons, burger joints.  I got rid of so much stuff that I can’t even believe I was carrying around all these years.   Especially as so much of it had to do with ‘sport’ shopping which I stopped doing over 5 years ago. 

It’s also been good for my budget as I was starting to build a receipt backlog but now my wallet is too small to hold them which drives entries right away in the YNAB app.  Not to mention the money saved by actually spending down the numerous gift cards I’ve collected over the years.  I’m down to $50 in grocery, $35 for movies, $25 in bath works and looking forward to dropping these last 3 asap.  On the key front I took 5 keys, a carabineer, and an extra 2 rings off my key chain.  It’s amazingly small and light now; it can actually fit in my pocket for the first time in years.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2015, 08:33:38 PM »
My bag is heavier than is healthy.

- Wallet
- Keys
- iPhone
- Wall plug + lightning cable x 2 + iPad cable x 2
- Headphones + spare headphones
- iPad (heavy)
- Diary (heavy)
- Sunglasses in case
- Tissues, BandAids, sanpro, Panadol
- Pens
- Lunch (a.m.) or empty containers (p.m.)

Optional extras:
- Umbrella (heavy duty, as I was sick of replacing $5 umbrellas only to have them blow inside out)
- Hat (black cap in summer, beanie in winter)
- Voice recorder and notepad

On weekends I usually ditch that in favour of a small crossbody bag (my only other handbag) or phone and money in my pocket. My husband gets annoyed that he can't drop his phone/keys/wallet into my bag for me to carry.

sstants

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2015, 08:28:28 AM »
Typical contents of my purse (a midsize tote)

Cellphone
Keys
Wallet
Pen
Day planner
Tampon + roll of dog bags (don't want to be caught without either one!

As-needed items:

Kindle
Umbrella
Sweater

I guess there's not really much to downsize...but Marie Kondo's suggestion to clean out your purse every single day really helps me a lot. She recommends you store it empty...I'm not that awesome, but I do take everything out except for the wallet and tampon and dog bags (those two things live in a little pouch inside the bag). It helps a lot because in the morning I really think about what I'm doing that day and only put in the items I need.

Another plus to carrying a mostly-empty bag is when I'm out doing errands I don't need to accept plastic or paper bags from the store...the items just go straight into my purse along with funny looks from the cashiers.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2015, 08:58:39 AM »
There is something about a "mom purse." Prior to motherhood I was a small purse person. Once kids appeared - lugging giant bag w/ me (even after the diaper bag days). I always had a couple juice boxes, wipes, hot wheels cars, doodle pad, snacks, etc. etc. I have downgraded a bit - and mostly my purse has to accommodate by dayrunner, which is admittedly rather stout.

I should look to getting a very small cross shoulder bag (I have one) into more use. I really don't need to drag most of this stuff w/ me.

Also - which women's clothing had better pockets!

Haha oh no! Here I was going "I'm so glad I never got into the big purse habit". Apparently it's just a matter of time!

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2015, 09:08:26 AM »
I kinda wish purses were an option for men.  Pockets are o.k. but just not enough.   If I do go with a "man bag" I would consider carrying the following:

All purpose tool/knife
phone
Tablet
booze
wallet (although after 40 years of hip pocket that might be a challenge?)
flash light
paper list of phone numbers for when the cell dies or is run over.
charger
sunscreen,  lip balm
Tooth paste and tooth brush
lighter
hat
glasses (extra set)
back up snacks (jerky, seeds)
Water bottle

I don't carry all those things now but I often do and I can tell you it is a bitch keeping track of them and emptying them out of my car. 

So yeah,  purses serve a purpose.

I am scared to look in my wife's purse though -- scary shit!

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2015, 09:19:35 AM »
I still go back and forth with carrying a big purse or just a small cross body.  Usually it depends on what I'm wearing or going.

At my most minimal, I have a wristlet/wallet my SO gave me for Xmas.  It carries all my ID, credit cards, money, etc.  Has a wrist strap and a zip closure and can fit a tinted burts bees lip balm in it.  I use it all the time either on my wrist or as a wallet in a big purse.

The only thing it doesn't fit is my keys, but that is ok.  I found this keychain at Bebe (do't judge) years ago and love it, http://www.bebe.com/Lucie-Pump-Keychain/16598.pro

I liked it because it was sparkly and had a clip.  Now some of the sparkles have fallen off but the clip is still very strong.  I clip it to my jeans or my wristlet.  I've never had an incident where it fell off.

Edit:  In my car, I have a box with baby wipes, sunscreen, anti-bac gel, band-aids, etc.  I just don't carry them on my person unless I'm hiking/camping.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 09:23:10 AM by RunHappy »

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2015, 04:49:47 PM »
I love going hands free!

I have developed a multi bag  system.

I have a little fabric envelope that buttons shut and holds ID, credit card and cash.  It fits flat in my pocket.  Car, house, PO Box keys on a fob in a pocket.  Cell phone in a pocket.  That's my ideal, hands free.

I made a little zippered wristlet that can hold all of those, wallet, cell phone, keys (on a small caribener on the side of it) as well as a tampon.  I can fit more in it when needed. 

The wristlet then goes into my backpack. Backpack contents fluctuate according to my destination, but usually hold my latest work notebooks, my laptop and journal. Chargers, pens, work keys, a granola bar, etc.  Of course it holds school books during the semester.  My backpack also holds a little mesh pouch with a travel tooth brush and paste, a teeny tiny tub of sunscreen, a little bottle of ibuprophen, tic tacs and a deodorant.   

I love the different small pouches and  bags.  They make it easy to run to the grocery hands free, or spend 12 hours on campus or on the road and be able to brush my teeth and refresh when needed.  I do have two other purses/bags.  I sometimes use them to try to look more polished.  It's easy to grab the little bags, drop them in and be ready to go.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2015, 12:02:50 AM »
I kinda wish purses were an option for men.  Pockets are o.k. but just not enough.   If I do go with a "man bag" I would consider carrying the following:

All purpose tool/knife
phone
Tablet
booze
flash light
charger
sunscreen,  lip balm
lighter
hat
glasses (extra set)
Water bottle

I don't carry all those things now but I often do and I can tell you it is a bitch keeping track of them and emptying them out of my car. 

An Aussie comedian said on TV years ago that if men could carry handbags he would always carry a drill.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2015, 11:23:56 AM »

All purpose tool/knife
phone
Tablet
booze
flash light
charger
sunscreen,  lip balm
lighter
hat
glasses (extra set)
Water bottle

An Aussie comedian said on TV years ago that if men could carry handbags he would always carry a drill.

Ha! Nice.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2015, 11:28:16 AM »
I might add that I keep ALOT if things in the car . for weather changes in my microclimate and spontaneous adventures. Swimsuit, sandals, SPF, hiking shoes, socks etc, hat, sweater, sketchbook and supplies, extra supplements etc , coffee mug, fem hygiene, metal spoon and fork, umbrella.
The purse is book, pen, wallet , phone, lipstick , ChapStick, brow pencil, mini notebook ( my memory is shot, I'm a writer ).

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2015, 03:51:56 PM »
Have any of you read Maarie Kondo's book on de-cluttering?  I am wondering what you think of her method of emptying her bag when she gets home and then repacking it the next morning?

I am sure I would forget essential things if I did that each day.  What do you think?

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2015, 04:55:05 PM »
Have any of you read Maarie Kondo's book on de-cluttering?  I am wondering what you think of her method of emptying her bag when she gets home and then repacking it the next morning?

I am sure I would forget essential things if I did that each day.  What do you think?

I do this every night.

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2015, 07:52:40 AM »

I do this every night.
I haven't read the book, what does emptying it and repacking do?  Does it force her to throw stuff out?

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2015, 03:59:30 PM »
RunHappy,

Sorry to have dropped the ball.  As part of Marie Kondo's routine, when she gets home she empties her bag completely and puts things away. 
Then she lets her bag spend the night not being stretched out of shape.  I can see that the bag would last longer but I am not about to completely empty my bag and then refill it in the morning.  That would be a recipe for leaving things at home.

I prefer to empty it out, remove excess and put the regular things back in.