Author Topic: Deliberate December  (Read 18771 times)

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
Re: Deliberate December
« Reply #100 on: December 18, 2017, 06:29:20 PM »
Dec 18: 8am meeting moved to 11am to 9:30am. Then there was a rescue at sea while moving the boat (we were the rescuers, not the rescuees). I think I could sleep for a week. No spend 12/18

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: December 19, 2017, 07:25:30 AM »
Dec 18: 8am meeting moved to 11am to 9:30am. Then there was a rescue at sea while moving the boat (we were the rescuers, not the rescuees). I think I could sleep for a week. No spend 12/18

Wow! That sounds exhausting and perhaps a bit too exciting!

We're doing good with our spending and not eating out. Also got another chunk of decluttering/house projects done last weekend. Exercise isn't going as planned. I have this horrible cough that I haven't been able to shake for a few weeks. I'm doing the bare minimum but just don't feel up to much.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #102 on: December 19, 2017, 07:33:46 AM »
Made it to 9 of 15 workouts for the month so far. Feeling good about the potential of finishing with a minimum of 15. Have a bad burn/blister on the top of my foot, so I've been creative with shoeless workouts. :-)

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #103 on: December 19, 2017, 11:53:53 AM »
Not let poor planning result in spending money on unnecessary silliness: Nothing to report here, aside from the $15 shipping charge. The saga of the $15 shipping does continue, though, since the package appears to have been stolen off our porch. I've contacted the company for assistance, since UPS said they should initiate the investigation for me, but they haven't gotten back to me yet. Ugh...

Work steadily on a contract/side-gig/project/thing that's due at the end of the month: Almost done!

Take advantage of my free time over the holiday break to get some substantial writing done: So far so good. I've got a consistent rhythm during the work week--break starts in two days, so we'll see how I'm doing once I have free time to blow!

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #104 on: December 19, 2017, 09:17:29 PM »
Dec 19: Last day before vacation starts, with stress level through the roof. If I could, I would totally pay someone to pack for us. No spend 13/18.

zeli2033

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #105 on: December 19, 2017, 11:01:20 PM »
Progress Update (Spend $113 or less on dining out/convenience food)
12/2: $10.50 - Convenience. Laziness.
12/8: $3 - DH got coffee out
12/9: $2 - I got coffee out
12/9: $22 - Didn't plan ahead, let the siren call of convenience rear it's ugly head and brought home takeout :/
12/13: $5.99 - argh
12/14: $3.75 - "enter useless excuse here"
12/15: $8.05 - Lunch out with cw's. Poor excuse, especially since I brought lunch with me...
12:16: $3.25 - tea
Total spent out so far: $58.54/~$113

On the plus side, when compared to this time last month, we've spent 1/3 the amount we did in November on dining out. That's pretty awesome to see.

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #106 on: December 20, 2017, 10:26:31 AM »
I am officially DONE with the contract gig, a full week before it was due! I don't have to think about it over break at all! I'm so thrilled.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #107 on: December 20, 2017, 10:34:15 AM »
Dec 20: Lyft to the airport was wonderfully simple, given that DH can't carry anything right now. However, we expected the cost to be closer to public transportation. When we checked in the past, it was actually cheaper than public. Now we are safely esconced in the airport with plenty of snacks soon to be spoiled by family. No spend 13/20

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: December 20, 2017, 01:56:47 PM »
1. Have 12 no spend days 4/12
2. Stick to Meals Out budget of $150 a month $78.33/$150
3. Donate/Sell 31 items. 1 for each day of the month 38/31
4. Fix my flat on my bike! 0/1

Dec 18-19
Managed another no spend day, getting there. Even though I had planned on spending some money going out for my birthday last night my friends wouldn't let me pay so the Meals out Budget remains the same. No plans for any other meals out so good chance I'll make this goal. Still putting stuff together to donate but with the holiday's it may wait until January to donate, since I hit my goal it's not top priority. Let's not even talk about the flat. Maybe I can ask DH to fix it for a Christmas gift? ;)

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #109 on: December 20, 2017, 02:14:54 PM »
Let's not even talk about the flat. Maybe I can ask DH to fix it for a Christmas gift? ;)

Honestly, it's starting to make ME anxious that you haven't fixed it yet... ha ha. ;-)

I threw my back out on Friday but still managed to do most or all of my PT exercises every day. I did have to cancel my appointment on Monday, I was just in too much pain to attempt taking the subway at rush hour (couldn't sit or stand for more than a few minutes without a lot of pain). I am doing quite a bit better today and I'm hoping I can make it through my appointment without hurting myself. I'm not sure if I should tell my therapist about my back as she seems to think the solution for every muscle ache is to give it an incredibly painful massage. I don't know if I could stand it. But it might fix it? I dunno.

Haven't done my charitable act of the week yet. I decided (again) not to do another one-week mini-challenge this week because I was basically flat on my back for five days, and not feeling up to much of anything. I had wanted to do something ambitious but I just didn't have it in me :-/  Story of my life: mind is willing, flesh is weak. But I will figure out something good for the weekly challenge. (And @akzidenz - thanks for your comments on BGC - that's really cool that you work with them!)

Suzanne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #110 on: December 21, 2017, 04:52:41 AM »
Just planning to diet to lose weight around 10 pounds as a new year resolution.

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #111 on: December 21, 2017, 07:23:31 AM »
Let's not even talk about the flat. Maybe I can ask DH to fix it for a Christmas gift? ;)

Honestly, it's starting to make ME anxious that you haven't fixed it yet... ha ha. ;-)

Haha! I asked DH if he was still thinking of gift idea he could fix my flat but he said no we need to do it together so you will know how. I guess he has a point.

I hope your back feels better soon, but great job sticking with the PT every day!

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #112 on: December 21, 2017, 07:48:22 AM »
All but two Christmas cards are posted - the two left are hand delivery.
Haven't yet freaked out on family and am still feeling pretty good.
Have gotten around most of the obstacles that often cause the freak out - Plans to see family are made and everyone seems to be happy with them.  The usual hurdles are addressed.  Celebrating with my mom on the 28th - with a snow day back set for either the 27th or 29th.  My dad's birthday (on the 28th) is being celebrated at younger brother's on the 30th.  He works weird hours so won't be around on the 28th - and has never had a family meal at his house so my dad is accepting that his birthday will be celebrated two days later.  This frees us up for celebrating with my mom.  And spreads out the large meals over more days. 
Still sticking to the gift plan - and have made a menu plan and so far feeling pretty good about that as well.
Have been been managing my work schedule ok - so I think that I am on track for two full weeks off!

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #113 on: December 21, 2017, 10:51:00 AM »
Our "deliberate" loosening of the purse strings in December was sabotaged today. DH and I invited some members of his family that we don't see often enough out for a restaurant meal, intending to pay for everyone, but while we were having coffee my FiL quietly slipped away from the table on the pretext of going to the bathroom and settled up.

We've no way of paying FiL back - he lives a simple, contented life in a tiny house, can afford all he needs, and wouldn't welcome a surprise gift - but we can pay it forward by sending some cash to each of the young people who was there instead.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #114 on: December 22, 2017, 06:41:19 AM »
Dec 21: Family chats and stuck in traffic, I did not even go anywhere that other people were spending money, unless the rest stop had a gift shop. No spend 14/21

Dec 22: Running errands with Mom, who likes to convince me that I deserve things she wished she could get me. Luckily, she has also taught me you don't always get what you deserve. No spend 15/22.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #115 on: December 22, 2017, 08:27:10 AM »
In the spirit on the monthly challenges, I'm proposing a deliberate December...because it's not a great month to be uber frugal but a good time to keep things under control. My goals for this month are to set up for finishing 2017/starting 2018 strong.

Deliberate December Goals
1. Limit eating out. We have 1 dinner and 3 lunches planned as get togethers. Plus a key person at work is leaving and we're likely to go out for drinks after work one day. Goal: keep the costs reasonable (separate budget for each) plus limit eating out to these times.
2. Clothes buying: limit to 2 pairs of jeans for DH that we can get using rebates. Spending: $0.
3. Gifts: I have 1 gift to buy and have a goal of making the second gift I still need. Spending: <$20.
4. Keep up exercise. I have signed up for two 7K road races over the winter and need to keep training for them. Goal is to keep to my scheduled exercise times/durations.
5. Healthy eating...Thanksgiving overindulgence has left my jeans a little snug. December goal is to cut sugar and focus on lower carb eating.
6. Budget...finish up the yearly paperwork and get everything organized to better track spending in 2018.
7. Finish my decluttering challenge. It got derailed earlier this year due to a family emergency but I'd like to get it all checked off this month.

Wow, moongoose you are an inspiration.

1. We're keeping it real with the healthy food - a bit of indulgence, because of company and festivities, but we manage to keep things under control by taking to go boxes and adding in a day or two a week where we eat lighter.
2. Budget - I got off track in August with over $25K in expenses and it took until now to get it all sorted out. RELIEF:) I boosted one of my goals and held steady on another and paid off all extra expenses - so Jan 2018 will be off to a good start.
3. Decluttering challenge - I kept at it, even past my set deadline. It turned out to be a strange turn of events, I got tons of things done, which were not on my list that I'd given up all hope of completing this year, because I had unexpected help. Yay:)
However - a couple of my small goals did not get done - although there is hope they might still get done in December.

The one big problem I find myself with is paper clutter (I kept finding boxes and baskets with paper clutter - instead of six boxes I now have 13 boxes - I could cry) and I've finally capitulated on that front and will make it my one and only goal for January.
Sigh - I do feel a little bit defeated on that front, even if all in all, I'm way ahead with some really ugly clutter and hell holes - all of which have been tackled. A continuous stream of donation boxes have left the premises for weeks on end.

Heck, I may end up with a minimalist shed - if that isn't a contradiction in terms I don't know what is - minimalists don't need a shed cum studio. The nice thing about that is - now I can finally fix it up the way I intended five years ago and turn it into my dream studio.

BUDGET
I'm ecstatic that I stayed under budget for December and managed to save $1525 which I very much doubted I could pull off - but I did it.
The best part - I'll be going into 2018 with no debt (except an unplanned car loan since August - grrr) and a new rather exciting plan/goal for both retirement savings and a travel fund for a big trip in Aug 2018.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #116 on: December 22, 2017, 11:54:54 AM »
Up to 10 of 15 workouts for December. I don't know why I don't always make time for it - I always feel so great afterward!

I am going to take my 10 year old to lunch today. I'm pretty sure we can still make our December food budget, but he & I are alone today & it will be a nice treat.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #117 on: December 22, 2017, 12:32:25 PM »
Late to this thread "Party" But since November and December are always our most expensive and busiest times I had two goals which I did acheive in November and am so far on pace for December but big costs at the End as I am flying to Orlando.

Goal 1- Was to workout at least still 5 days a week and not put on any holiday weight , so far so good.
Goal 2- Stay in Budget- November I actually came in about 20% under budgets. December so far I am way ahead but I have been cautious with My trip between Xmas and New Years trying to bank some by cutting other budget areas even more. So far so good but Orlando is going to be the bottom line.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #118 on: December 22, 2017, 05:10:50 PM »
We're doing good staying on budget. DH and I agreed that we'd take the kids to lunch today after we were in town for a doctor appointment in exchange for brown bagging it the two days next week we were going to have lunch dates. We can still eat together but don't have to go to a restaurant and we'll probably be happier with things that way.

I still have one present to make but it's just tamales and I have until the middle of next week. Hopefully we'll get that done over the weekend. 

Exercise has slowed because I can't really do much right now...walking pneumonia. Hopefully the meds will get it cleared up soon. I figure that's a good reason to deliberately drop off for awhile.

We still need to finish our decluttering and paperwork but those are slated for this weekend as well.

Still on track....

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #119 on: December 23, 2017, 03:18:17 AM »
We're doing good staying on budget. DH and I agreed that we'd take the kids to lunch today after we were in town for a doctor appointment in exchange for brown bagging it the two days next week we were going to have lunch dates. We can still eat together but don't have to go to a restaurant and we'll probably be happier with things that way.

I still have one present to make but it's just tamales and I have until the middle of next week. Hopefully we'll get that done over the weekend. 

Exercise has slowed because I can't really do much right now...walking pneumonia. Hopefully the meds will get it cleared up soon. I figure that's a good reason to deliberately drop off for awhile.

Take care of that walking pneumonia! dont want it to turn into something worse.

We still need to finish our decluttering and paperwork but those are slated for this weekend as well.

Still on track....

Suzanne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #120 on: December 23, 2017, 04:05:20 AM »
In the spirit on the monthly challenges, I'm proposing a deliberate December...because it's not a great month to be uber frugal but a good time to keep things under control. My goals for this month are to set up for finishing 2017/starting 2018 strong.

1. Limit eating out. We have 1 dinner and 3 lunches planned as get togethers. Plus a key person at work is leaving and we're likely to go out for drinks after work one day. Goal: keep the costs reasonable (separate budget for each) plus limit eating out to these times.
2. Clothes buying: limit to 2 pairs of jeans for DH that we can get using rebates. Spending: $0.
3. Gifts: I have 1 gift to buy and have a goal of making the second gift I still need. Spending: <$20.
4. Keep up exercise. I have signed up for two 7K road races over the winter and need to keep training for them. Goal is to keep to my scheduled exercise times/durations.
5. Healthy eating...Thanksgiving overindulgence has left my jeans a little snug. December goal is to cut sugar and focus on lower carb eating.
6. Budget...finish up the yearly paperwork and get everything organized to better track spending in 2018.
7. Finish my decluttering challenge. It got derailed earlier this year due to a family emergency but I'd like to get it all checked off this month.

One of the most common reasons for weight gain is an evening out. The weight-watcher seldom realises what havoc a small slice of pastry can create with a carefully planned diet. Yes, eating out is a part of our lives. It's easy, quick and one of life's simple pleasures.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #121 on: December 23, 2017, 08:48:56 PM »
Dec 23: Lots of walking and visiting, but that is all free :) No spend 16/23.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #122 on: December 24, 2017, 03:02:08 PM »
I did it!!!!! Two years on my list....on two decluttering challenges. I just hadn't managed the time. Today, I stained and sealed our bathroom cabinet doors! And I painted the inside of the cabinets to cover the pepto pink. Hubby is making great progress on the ceiling! This is so awesome to have done!

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #123 on: December 24, 2017, 03:34:08 PM »
I did it!!!!! Two years on my list....on two decluttering challenges. I just hadn't managed the time. Today, I stained and sealed our bathroom cabinet doors! And I painted the inside of the cabinets to cover the pepto pink. Hubby is making great progress on the ceiling! This is so awesome to have done!

Ahhh, the feeling of accomplishment!

Dec 24: We took an opportunity to purchase groceries for one family meal. $5/person isn't too bad for a special meal and my nieces and nephews are doing all the work. Yesterday, I saved the potato skins from the to be mashed potatoes and made a shredded potato skins snack. Though the only actual complaint was that it doesn't make much, I am pretty sure that Mom.will be telling all of her friends that I made her eat her trash. Hopefully, everyone who hears that gets her sense of humor, or we might be dealing with elder protection services. No spend: 16/24

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #124 on: December 25, 2017, 11:48:27 AM »
1) See how close I can get to 0 social media use on weekdays. Modified slightly to allow 10 minutes facebook for day, so this week: 58 minutes total fb, with no other usage. Pleased.
2) Maintain biking and swimming improvements. No progress this week.
3) Work ~2 hours a day while on break. Whoops. Needed that reminder. I've only worked about half of days I've been on vacation.
3.5) Start online science writing course. Paused to allow reading of the paper I need to review in the writing assignment.
4) Cook a lot. Participated in planning/preparing dinner for 8-12 since 12/15.
5) Read a lot. Still in the same book, made slight progress.

And came in under $100 for all my Christmas presents!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 11:50:06 AM by Tass »

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #125 on: December 25, 2017, 04:07:07 PM »
Dec 25: Breakfast, lunch and dinner each at a different house, a different state even. Doesn't leave much time for spending, as long as you start with a full tank of gas. No spend 17/25

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #126 on: December 25, 2017, 11:08:30 PM »
Still keeping up with PT exercises. My last (probably) visit is this week and then back to the surgeon in early January to see what he thinks. I only did half the exercises on a few days because I was trying not to do anything that would tense up my back muscles, and my therapist thought the balancing exercises might be too much.

I ended up donating to International Relief Teams last week for my generosity challenge, specifically earmarked towards helping Puerto Ricans who are trying to recover from Hurricane Maria. They have been supplying temporary shelter, baby formula, canned foods, and bottled water, as well as some basic medical supply kits.

I was really hoping to give some more time/thought to this challenge towards the end of the month, but throwing my back out really spoiled everything :-/ I spent the last week and a half struggling through heavily sedating medication and constant pain. Blargh. Not a terribly charitable state of mind... if I'm being honest, I've been in a very UNcharitable state of mind towards a lot of people. I'd been thinking of a one-week mini-challenge of being emotionally/psychologically generous with the people in my life. Being patient with people, assuming the best, forgiveness, kindness, etc. This week would be an incredible challenge in that category for a few reasons. And I think I might really need to do some standing up for myself this week and putting my foot down, so I'm  not sure it would be good timing... hmm.

zeli2033

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #127 on: December 26, 2017, 04:06:37 PM »
Progress Update (Spend $113 or less on dining out/convenience food)
12/2: $10.50 - Convenience. Laziness.
12/8: $3 - DH got coffee out
12/9: $2 - I got coffee out
12/9: $22 - Didn't plan ahead, let the siren call of convenience rear it's ugly head and brought home takeout :/
12/13: $5.99 - argh
12/14: $3.75 - "enter useless excuse here"
12/15: $8.05 - Lunch out with cw's. Poor excuse, especially since I brought lunch with me...
12/16: $3.25 - tea
12/21: $20.25 - dinner out
12/22: $46.65 - lunch and dinner out amidst final holiday shopping. no-planning, consumer-ist mindset totally pushed us way overboard
Total spent out so far: $125.44/~$113

So bummer that we blew the budget but a couple positives/awareness factors I learned from this:

1) Compared to the same time span last year, we've spent less (last year was $217.35 for same time frame. December 2016 total was $332.63. Vast overall improvement this year assuming we stick to eating the groceries we just bought for the rest of the week).

2) We blew more than half of what we spent in less than 24 hours and that was when we consciously decided to turn our thinking off. No deliberation, just reacting to circumstances and not even trying to plan. We both agreed that we felt horrible afterward and aren't looking forward to anything like that again. Hopefully it helps us keep that type of behavior to a minimum.

Suzanne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #128 on: December 26, 2017, 11:41:39 PM »

December is too costly for me too.

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #129 on: December 27, 2017, 12:45:47 PM »
1. Have 12 no spend days 5/12
2. Stick to Meals Out budget of $150 a month $114.87/$150
3. Donate/Sell 31 items. 1 for each day of the month 38/31
4. Fix my flat on my bike! 0/1

Dec 20-27
With only 4 days left in the year safe to say I won't hit the no spend days goal. My meals out budget is looking good though. January I have my goal at $75 so I'm not sure how that's going to go. I am currently sick but I really hope to get to my flat this week. I know have bar mitts (Birthday Gift from DH) so I can ride my bike in the colder weather as long as the roads are not icy.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #130 on: December 27, 2017, 04:33:18 PM »
Dec 26: Gas for all the driving. No spend 17/26

Dec 27: Didn't leave DHs childhood home. Even his parents think it is cold and they live hear. Proved to MIL that leftovers are fine by us, thus preventing her from going out for groceries just to impress/spoil is. No spend: 18/27

Suzanne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #131 on: December 27, 2017, 10:45:47 PM »

In this December, Mt goal is to stay away from unwanted fatty foods like cakes.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #132 on: December 28, 2017, 10:24:42 PM »
Dec 28: Took public transit home from the airport.
DH is still gimp, so I carried everything not only through the airports, but for the mile and a half walk home from the train. That plus groceries has left me wiped out. No spend 17/28

I am a little surprised at how often I do spend money. I thought 20 no spend days would be a breeze, but it turns out that I won't make it, as I need to replace the shocks on the Jeep and fill the propane tank tomorrow. Of course, I started out saying groceries and gifts didn't count, but did sometimes count them, so my methodology was flawed.

I am being more specific for January: groceries for under $300.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #133 on: December 29, 2017, 09:20:49 PM »
Dec 29: Car repairs are not free. No spend 17/29

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #134 on: December 31, 2017, 05:58:32 PM »
1) See how close I can get to 0 social media use on weekdays. Modified slightly to allow 10 minutes facebook for day. 2:47 total fb last week. More than desirable, but not so bad considering the vacation.
2) Maintain biking and swimming improvements. Fell off while I was out of town.
3) Work ~2 hours a day while on break. Limited success here.
3.5) Start online science writing course. Paused.
4) Cook a lot. Success. My mother has not cooked dinner once.
5) Read a lot. Also success.

Thinking about this all month has put me in a great mindset for new years' goals. Here's to continuing progress!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #135 on: January 01, 2018, 05:37:41 AM »
Got back from Orlando last night and looked over my December budget and killed it! Came in for December almost 25% under budget. Having realistic goals is such a difference maker!

akzidenz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #136 on: January 01, 2018, 03:21:59 PM »
It's encouraging to read about everyone's successes. Hope you all had a deliberate and joyful time for NYE.
  • Save 50%+ this month. My stretch goal is 55%, if I'm extremely frugal and cautious! I saved 54.35% this month…so let's round up and say I managed to do 55% after all! What made a difference: I bought a sweater I was convinced I "needed", and after two weeks went by, I realized how slippery and feeble that "need" really was.
  • Spend about $200 on eating out. I managed this in November, but my norm is $400+. Nope, didn't manage this one. I was in the $400+ range again. Because of the holiday season/traveling, this might not have been a practical goal for December. I'll try again for January.
  • Work out 2x/week. I was at 3x/week over the summer, and then slipped…
     Succeeded! I joined a gym two blocks from my home…it's a little expensive, even for my HCOL area, but having a nearby gym makes a huge difference in actually visiting it. I think I'll be able to keep up a routine of 3 visits/week in January!

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #137 on: January 01, 2018, 06:48:34 PM »
Mongoose - congrats on finally completing a two-year-old project:) Celebration time!

I did actually manage one more de-cluttering project the week before Christmas which I'm very happy about. Cleared out the linen closet - result 4 boxes of donations.
Now I can actually find what I'm looking for. I'll never be minimalist in the linen department, but miraculously I have paired down to four sets of sheets.