Author Topic: Declutter challenge - 90 days - clean up in 2016  (Read 93371 times)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
Re: Declutter challenge - 90 days - clean up in 2016
« Reply #350 on: October 12, 2016, 12:00:30 PM »
Today I am taking a stack of ratty, but still useful, towels to my vet. I called and they said they could use them.

To get encouragement I was watching some cleaning videos online. I notice that most of the people have so much crap on every horizontal surface that they clean around. Why not get rid of some stuff so you can clean easier, and get rid of the visual clutter?

I would love some links for the videos you watched! I really enjoy stuff like that.

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #351 on: October 12, 2016, 06:26:53 PM »
Today I am taking a stack of ratty, but still useful, towels to my vet. I called and they said they could use them.

To get encouragement I was watching some cleaning videos online. I notice that most of the people have so much crap on every horizontal surface that they clean around. Why not get rid of some stuff so you can clean easier, and get rid of the visual clutter?

I would love some links for the videos you watched! I really enjoy stuff like that.

I will post some links later, but what I usually look for is 'clean my room time lapse' and dozens of them come up. And what you notice after a while is that people organize stacks of paper and put things on shelves and fold clothes and vacuum... but in the end the room is just as full of stuff. I know from my own experience that the clutter always wins. You clean and organize and buy cute baskets to corral it in, and it's like reorganing the deck chairs on the Titanic. Too much stuff, too many items without homes and in two days the clutter will take over!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #352 on: October 12, 2016, 07:11:07 PM »

I will post some links later, but what I usually look for is 'clean my room time lapse' and dozens of them come up. And what you notice after a while is that people organize stacks of paper and put things on shelves and fold clothes and vacuum... but in the end the room is just as full of stuff. I know from my own experience that the clutter always wins. You clean and organize and buy cute baskets to corral it in, and it's like reorganing the deck chairs on the Titanic. Too much stuff, too many items without homes and in two days the clutter will take over!

Well, found my new lazy TV zone out option! Who needs netflix.

But yeah, I'm with you. *See teenage girl put giant spiral of old Cat5 under her bed* WHY ARE YOU KEEPING THAT THERE?

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #353 on: October 15, 2016, 04:15:03 PM »
Another box of gently used goods went to the thrift store today.

A toilet plunger that does a...crappy...job of plunging (sorry, couldn't resist) is in the trash.

I am cleaning up my things while trying not to nag the Hubster about it, but as I was folding clothes, I found a pair of his underpants that were so worn and thin, that the crotch completely tore out. Well, after I applied a light amount of force, they split right up the seam! Into the trash they went!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #354 on: October 15, 2016, 04:18:16 PM »
Another box of gently used goods went to the thrift store today.

A toilet plunger that does a...crappy...job of plunging (sorry, couldn't resist) is in the trash.

I am cleaning up my things while trying not to nag the Hubster about it, but as I was folding clothes, I found a pair of his underpants that were so worn and thin, that the crotch completely tore out. Well, after I applied a light amount of force, they split right up the seam! Into the trash they went!

Just be sure you replace that plunger!

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #355 on: October 18, 2016, 04:12:46 PM »
Hahahaha. I didn’t have to go out and replace the plunger, because we already HAD TWO. It’s one of the great mysteries of life why my husband hates to give/throw anything away, even if it does not work its stated purpose. I mean, this wretched plunger was the worst, I am not sure if the Hulk would have been able to push it down hard enough to make it flex and do the actual plunge. It was make out of some kind of super heavy rubber material, and even my husband, who is super strong, could not use it. But he wanted to keep it… maybe in case we ever needed something to bash an intruder with. To which I say, that’s what baseball bats and tennis rackets are for!

I’m doing that crazy Minimalism Challenge, and this week I made another run to the thrift store. I also have a stack of books to take the the Little Free Library in our neighborhood, and some t-shirts to get rid of. I don’t like donating stained t-shirts, and I don’t like throwing them away. Which is worse, waste or donating stained, cruddy t-shirts? Is there a third alternative that I have not thought of? Today I have to find another 18 items to get rid of. Either I am going through my craft supplies AGAIN or my books shelf. I have some cookbooks I do not love, so that should be good for 4-5 items.

I’m doing all sorts of stuff to get rid of the crap that is filling the house.…I found bottle after jar after tube of hand cream, foot cream, and general lotion.

“My name is CU Tiger and I have an emollient monkey on my back.”
 “Welcome CU Tiger!

Why did I buy all these things and then not use them? There is not a thing wrong with any of these products, and throwing them away would be wasteful, so every night before bed and after every shower I am slathering myself with some kind of cream or oil or unguent. I would win a Most Moisturized contest, if there was such a thing.

My husband looked at some of the things I was going to donate and asked if he could have to them to take to his office where they would be used. I permitted that with the caveat that these things were never, EVER to darken the door of our house again. No sneaking them back in later when my back is turned.

Some of the things I’ve found to get rid of took me a minute to let go of, even if it was ridiculous. There was this tiny pair of Dutch kloppen someone gave us when we were in the Netherlands. I clutched those tiny shoes and thought, “I can’t throw away the souvenir of a fantastic trip!” and then I realized that I have actual pictures of the things we saw and the people we met, and I have my memories. Wee Dutch shoes = Dust Catchers. See ya!

Is anyone else still doing their 90 day challenge? How’s it going?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #356 on: October 18, 2016, 04:18:34 PM »
Definitely donate the stained shirts- at least in our area, the goodwill has a central bulk goodwill (I forget the name of it) that's like an outlet store for goodwill and they sell clothes by the pound. I know a lot of folks go there to get scrap fabric and the like. I probably wouldn't donate if it was stained with oil or gum or similar that could get onto other items though, I imagine that's a nightmare for sorting.

Our 90 day challenge kinda got off the rails by moving into SO much more space. I don't really need to downsize. I have NINE drawers in my kitchen that are empty. I'm not bothered by this, it's just weird. Anyway, so now I just kinda hang around on this thread anyway =P

At some point I'll take a second pass on our office paper work. But I DID get a filing system set up- I was pretty proud of myself there!

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #357 on: October 19, 2016, 04:33:49 PM »
I was home today, so I used some time to go through a couple of simplifying/decluttering GOLD MINES. We live in a small house with a tiny kitchen and today I sorted through the knife/sharp stuff drawer, the silverware drawer, and the dishtowel drawer. The dishtowel drawer stuffed to the rim. After going through it and putting aside anything that was torn, ragged, stained, or that I know I never use, I had 27 dish cloths, dish rags, tea towels, and hot pads to donate. I cleaned out the drawer, folded the survivors neatly and put things back.

The knife drawer didn't give me much to get rid of, but I cleaned out the actual drawer and found some things in that drawer that didn't belong there, so I moved them to their proper homes.

The silverware drawer was another winner. My dear Spouse saves things like plastic-wrapped toothpicks, packages of take-away chopsticks, and fast food straws. The drawer is already crowded with actual silverware and serving pieces, so all those little dibs and dabs make it chaos. We each have a good pair of lacquered chopsticks that we can wash and reuse, so all the cheap ones got tossed. I consolidated all the toothpicks and straws to make the drawer neater AND I found two things that I never use to donate. One was a  honey server. I don't need a special tool to get honey out of a jar, I have plenty of spoons that do the trick and are a lot easier to wash. The other thing was an old garlic masher. It's been yonks since I used it, since I either chop garlic or use my microplane grater to get it really fine.

All together, that was over 30 things gone, gone, gone!

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #358 on: October 21, 2016, 09:19:14 PM »
Last night was another miserable Insomnia Night, but I put the time hours to good use in the kitchen, going through the final drawer. It’s my general purpose drawer where all the things that aren’t knives and silverware are stored.

At first I thought there would not be much to get rid of. Boy was I wrong. I saw that I have multiples of many things. Three whisks? Why do I have three whisks, whyyyyyy? I am now down to one whisk. Two sets of measuring cups, got rid of the one I liked least. I went through each group of things like that, and came up with over 25 things to donate. The most ridiculous things I found were two little “tea houses” (little metal house shaped things that you fill with loose tea and dunk in your cup). I have not used these things more than 10 times in the past 20 years, and I moved them TWICE. They were small, so it’s not like they made a huge difference, but they are a symbol of how I keep things that I don’t care for, that don’t serve me, or improve my life in any way.

This goes right back to what I was writing about in the General dejunking thread. I had one set of measuring cups, cheap plastic ones, but they worked fine. Then my mother gave me a set of nice metal ones that I like better. Groovy, but did I turn around and give the plastic ones away? No, I did not. Do that 100 times a year and the level of stuff in your house goes up and up. One day you can’t get the kitchen drawer open, the linen cupboard won’t close, there are no places for anything, and nothing is in its place! It’s madness, MADNESS I tell you.

After I put my greatly reduced hoard back in the drawer, I stood there and admired it for a while. Silly, I know, but the satisfaction of getting rid of the dross and keeping only the gold was pleasant.

All the drawers are done, all I have left is under the sink and the dreaded RUBBERMAID and TUPPERWARE cabinet over the stove. That’s like opening Fibber McGee’s closet.

GeekyGirl

• Stubble
« Reply #359 on: October 28, 2016, 05:15:51 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm late to teh game as 2016 is almost over :) but anyway I'm up for the challenge. I've a break of 4 days as of today and I'll start the decluttering tonight. It was already part of my plan as a way to organize my wardrobe (capsule wardrobe or uniform from another thread) and I'm looking forward to reporting the results.

Things accomplished so far in 2016:
-Moved all kid stuff (LittleGeek games, old troller and PrincessGeek baby stuff) to the basement
-Arranged a new room for kids and moved their stuff in the room (clothes, books, games and snacks for PrincessGeek)
-Arranged our room and moved all my books to a new bookshelf in the living room
-Decluttered the kitchen cabinet (huumm MrGeek did this, he's the neat and tidy one and I'm the opposite, but making baby steps)
-Throwed away some big items (car seat, old microwave) that were taking unecessary place

Things I need to do:
-Send the three plastic bins containing baby clothes to the basement
-Sort my clothes by categories (current wardrobe, out-of-season, to sell, or to donate)
-Make a shopping list for me (boots, socks, gloves and ???)
-Sort LittleGeek clothes as well and start preparing shopping list for next sales (January)
-Clean the small office in our bedroom and move it to the kids room (need a nightstand in our room)
-Pull out LittleGeek bicycle and find a suitable place for it (need to move something to the basement?)
-Post online unused items to sell it (spare fridge & old troller)
-Organize, shred or file away the pile of mails in our main office
-Scan & file all my paystubs, LittlGeek daycare and medical records (& MrGeek's paystubs if he agrees, he's not confortable with electronic files)
-Reorganize guest room and have MrGeek's nephew tidy his stuff
-Organize the kitchen cabinets and the pantry

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #360 on: October 29, 2016, 09:54:29 AM »
Sent two boxes off to a charity yesterday. Out of house, off my mind.

Today we are tackling the upstairs. My craft area is up there, as is every piece of paper that has ever come in the house. I exaggerate, but the task looms large. Time to put on my big girl pants and get started.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #361 on: October 29, 2016, 03:24:07 PM »

Today we are tackling the upstairs. My craft area is up there, as is every piece of paper that has ever come in the house. I exaggerate, but the task looms large. Time to put on my big girl pants and get started.

I think I lost my big girl pants under a pile of paper :)

I have not made any time for this project in a while.  The stack that is supposed to be receipts only now is about 3 inches high & has all kinds of paper.  Also time to update the check book.  Maybe tomorrow.

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #362 on: October 29, 2016, 09:51:24 PM »

I think I lost my big girl pants under a pile of paper :)

I have not made any time for this project in a while.  The stack that is supposed to be receipts only now is about 3 inches high & has all kinds of paper.  Also time to update the check book.  Maybe tomorrow.

The paper tiger is not fun. I worked for three hours today and my husband put in one hour. We scratched the surface at least. I want to take it all outside and burn it.mhe wants to go through it one page at a time...

bestideaever

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #363 on: October 29, 2016, 10:24:58 PM »
Loved reading the progress posts.

My goal is to clean out as much as possible in the weeks before Christmas as I can. Why?

1) I feel so much better in a tidy place, and I appreciate what I have so much more when I can see only the pieces I love or need. 2) I have family visiting and you know how it is - you want to look like you have your shit together a bit more. My family absolutely will open my closets and will not hold back commentary. 3) I'd rather have more money in my bank accounts than all these items around that I never use. 4) It'll be easier to clean and maintain once the place is in a better shape. 5) I can never stock up on things like the cheaper, larger toilet paper packages because I simply don't have the space until I clean out my closets. 6) My boyfriend might be moving in in a few months, and I'd like there to be lots of room for him to feel welcome to add his items. Same goes for if I have to move --- it'll just be so much easier with less stuff.

I'll be on vacation the week before Thanksgiving, so that doesn't leave much time. Luckily, I only live in a 1 bedroom apartment, but every closet is stuffed to the brim with stuff from failed businesses (like trying to sell art work, scarves, and from an FBA business), and long-ignored hobbies like a pair of record players I bought to learn how to dj years ago (and then never learned). This was long before I learned about MMM and I made the mistake of buying the best equipment for every potential hobby before even really trying it out to see if I liked it, or would stick with it. Am hoping to monetize some of those items when I get rid of them, but am also waiting for the approval to get a local Buy Nothing group set up to unload my clutter from FBA that would be great for example for holiday gifts for families with small kids. The only donation place within walking distance from me is a Goodwill, and I'd rather not donate there again.

Tackled the bathroom last weekend. Started in the smallest space to see progress! ;) Down with the flu this weekend, so not up to much. Hoping I feel good enough tomorrow to leave my bed and hang around the apartment to declutter.

Here goes! Just a few weeks left...

Mel70

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #364 on: October 30, 2016, 01:03:58 PM »
I went through my bookcases and got rid of over 350 books. In addition, I got rid of over 80 VHS tapes. I will make an inventory of bed sheets, duvets, etc. and make sure I don't have more stuff than necessary. Yay!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #365 on: October 30, 2016, 04:48:49 PM »
I'm glad this thread is still active. We have a baby on the way, and our house is messy and overfull, even after working through our junk for a few years. It's time for another round, because we do not have the energy to keep things clean as it is. And our energy is only going to get taken up even more. So, 3 month Kon Marie, finishing 31 January. First up: clothes.

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #366 on: October 30, 2016, 09:51:24 PM »
The official last of my 30 day challenge, but I am not stopping. Too many papers to get rid of, more clothes that are nasty, stained, or poor fits. Just too much stuff.

I love this thread. No one in my real life cares about this, so I like having a place to acknowledge my accomplishments.

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #367 on: November 01, 2016, 09:11:59 PM »
Quote from: GoConfidently link=topic=48942.msg1258893#msg1258893 date
That puts me at 1088 items out of the house forever!

I got about 590 out of the house. Your number gives me something to aspire to. Yesterday a guy gave my husband $10 for one of those huge old monitors, you remember, the one that weighed about 30 lbs., and took up the whole desk! Guess what he was going to do with it? He is making his own arcade game! I love that he is going to really use something that I was glad to see the back of.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #368 on: November 04, 2016, 12:29:22 AM »
I'm glad this thread is still active. We have a baby on the way, and our house is messy and overfull, even after working through our junk for a few years. It's time for another round, because we do not have the energy to keep things clean as it is. And our energy is only going to get taken up even more. So, 3 month Kon Marie, finishing 31 January. First up: clothes.
Clothes involved setting aside a few items I can't wear while my body expands. Instead I've gotten distracted by our study and craft room, the two pain points. Craft room closet has mold in it, so I need to take photos and send to RE agent because the stuff that was neatly stored is taking up valuable floor space. In the study I look around and I see DH's paper everywhere, which I can't deal with, but I did manage to find a stash of mine that I'd hidden away! Halved it :) I don't have the energy to pull everything out at once and go through it, but I know where each stash of mine is now. If I can halve each stash, I can keep them all together, and then go through the remaining lot at once.

GoConfidently

• Stubble
« Reply #369 on: November 05, 2016, 02:06:44 PM »
Quote from: GoConfidently link=topic=48942.msg1258893#msg1258893 date
That puts me at 1088 items out of the house forever!

I got about 590 out of the house. Your number gives me something to aspire to. Yesterday a guy gave my husband $10 for one of those huge old monitors, you remember, the one that weighed about 30 lbs., and took up the whole desk! Guess what he was going to do with it? He is making his own arcade game! I love that he is going to really use something that I was glad to see the back of.

I can't believe you were able to get money for that! Awesome!!

I'm up to 1096. Challenge upped :) I'm hoping to hit 1200 by Jan 1 but it's going to be hard. I'm feeling like I have nothing to wear for the coming winter and I'm tired of cleaning things up and trying to figure out the best place to store things. Decluttering fatigue. I have a table at an art fair tomorrow. Fingers crossed lots of paintings will sell and that will mean more things out plus more money in.

bestideaever

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #370 on: November 06, 2016, 02:00:32 PM »
Posted this in my journal as well, but it might interest people here more.

Super productive weekend so far, though from the looks of my apartment right now, you'd think otherwise. Am in the middle of decluttering heaven/hell, meaning everything I am looking to donate or sell is stacked up blocking the majority of my living room. It always looks worse than before, until you're done. Ha.

Decluttering has been great so far, though:
- Sent off 47 CDs and DVDs to Decluttr (Was quoted 41.36$ payment for these - we’ll see, I’ve read some bad reviews that you get much less than they quote).
- Found Crate & Barrel gift card with 50$ balance on it. Woo! I love when I find money as a reward of cleaning up. Ordered something from my home needs list with it that will help keep my apartment cleaner after reading tips on this forum.
- Recycled about 30 cardboard boxes left over from FBA days.
- Threw out about 10 items that were no longer functional.
- Organized all my Christmas decorations into two large plastic bins. So tempted to put everything up already, but I’ll control myself, haha.
- Defrosted freezer, emptied out freezer/fridge, cleaned both, grocery shopped with a plan + will cook for the week tonight.
- Cleaned shower and stored items I don’t use frequently outside of shower, which was my last step in the bathroom decluttering/clean-up.
- Arranged for pick-up of 3 large Amazon Fresh delivery boxes that I had from trying out their 25$ free on 75$ trial order (after which I canceled the subscription trial, getting stuck with the boxes).
- Have 1 large cardboard box full of Goodwill donation items. Gotta count those out for tax purposes and schlepp them over either today or this week.
- Have 7 large plastic bins worth of FBA items to try to sell on Craigslist in bulk along with a label printer and plastic bags for FBA, or, if nobody bites, try to get a donation pick-up from the Salvation army since I don’t have a truck. This is the part I am dreading the most - even though there is potential to make money, I hate dealing with Craigslist. Oh well, nobody ever said this was going to be easy…
- Have a 6 foot folding table and florist supplies that I’ll also either donate or sell.
- Posted to my FB friends that I'm selling my surplus art work from the days when I used to do galleries/shows for 10$ a piece. A total steal when you consider I used to sell them for 360$ (though to be fair I only sold a handful), but much better than them cluttering up my apartment for more years. I hope someone bites because I'd love for them to be enjoyed, and the extra cash would be nice, too! Every little bit helps, eh?
- Took my clothes to Wasteland, who offered me 31$ for items that originally retailed 700$. Um. No. I'll try Poshmark or something, thanks. I'm willing to discount my art work since I wasn't able to establish a name for myself, but I'm not willing to do that for clothing brands that are still sought after.
- Moving all of the above to the living room temporarily means my main storage closet looks AMAZING now. Have room for my big backpacking gear, the Christmas decorations, bulk paper product, etc. with room to breathe. Before I started the decluttering, the closet was packed to the brim - to the point of having to open the door carefully so you didn't get hit in the head by falling items that were held in place only by the shut doors.

Whew. You can imagine what being in the middle of the above (i.e. having sorted out in the open, but not having yet sold/donated any of the items) looks like for my living room, though.

Gotta keep pushing on!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #371 on: November 06, 2016, 03:54:14 PM »
Bestideaever, that is an amazing amount of work! I hope the stuff clears soon!

Clothes involved setting aside a few items I can't wear while my body expands. Instead I've gotten distracted by our study and craft room, the two pain points. Craft room closet has mold in it, so I need to take photos and send to RE agent because the stuff that was neatly stored is taking up valuable floor space. In the study I look around and I see DH's paper everywhere, which I can't deal with, but I did manage to find a stash of mine that I'd hidden away! Halved it :) I don't have the energy to pull everything out at once and go through it, but I know where each stash of mine is now. If I can halve each stash, I can keep them all together, and then go through the remaining lot at once.
I realised that since the boxes of sentimental papers were out of the craft cupboard, I might as well go through them. I emptied a large plastic tub! Now my things take up one A3 paper box, and a small tub for my mobiles (hanging kids toys, not the phones). This is incredible, and exactly how much I wanted to keep!

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #372 on: November 07, 2016, 06:59:01 AM »
- fix one drawer in DS's dresser. Cull his clothes (or offer seasonally?) Done.
- clean, organize, and sort kids toy shelves and books. It needs a second round. Done.
- clean up and organize office shelves Done.
- clean, organize and purge office spaces (shelves and two desks) Done.
- sort, file, and organize business paperwork Done. Really, really done!!!!
- find a home for the space heater that's sitting in front of the filing cabinet Done.
- sell crystal glasses and two 35mm cameras Done.
- prime and paint the unfinished drywall ceilings (not really decluttering but it is ugly)
- paint inside the bathroom cabinets (2 bathrooms)
- organize cabinet of kids' art and science supplies Done.
- organize/clean business building Done.
- sort and donate baby items (we have a closet in the basement with literally everything we had for both kids; it needs to be pared down)
- the living room (has become a dumping ground for kids play and art projects) Done.
- Adding: clean/declutter basement. Done.

Stuff that must be done by September 26
- organize/clean business building (in progress) Done.
- clean, organize and purge office spaces Done.
- update business order tracking physical files (the only part that isn't up to date!)Done.
- SOP paperworkDone.

I'm still staggering along cleaning and decluttering. I thought I was doing zero but coming to update my list gives me renewed hope of accomplishing most of our goals (the ceilings may not happen but potentially all the rest might get done). We donated a couple of coats that the kids had outgrown too. So a first stab at the out-of-control baby/toddler stockpile has taken place.

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #373 on: November 10, 2016, 09:48:32 PM »
Our basement used to be so crowded you could not really clean. Tonight I vacuumed the whole floor. Then I looked for things that needed to go. A handful of cheap clothes pins that would not hold anything on the lines. Out!

Small items, but every day I am paring things down. It took. 16 years to get this much junk. If it takes a few months to get down to the reasonable amount I hope for, that seems okay.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #374 on: November 19, 2016, 06:34:44 PM »
- fix one drawer in DS's dresser. Cull his clothes (or offer seasonally?) Done.
- clean, organize, and sort kids toy shelves and books. It needs a second round. Done.
- clean up and organize office shelves Done.
- clean, organize and purge office spaces (shelves and two desks) Done.
- sort, file, and organize business paperwork Done. Really, really done!!!!
- find a home for the space heater that's sitting in front of the filing cabinet Done.
- sell crystal glasses and two 35mm cameras Done.
- prime and paint the unfinished drywall ceilings (not really decluttering but it is ugly)
- paint inside the bathroom cabinets (2 bathrooms)
- organize cabinet of kids' art and science supplies Done.
- organize/clean business building Done.
- sort and donate baby items (we have a closet in the basement with literally everything we had for both kids; it needs to be pared down) Done.
- the living room (has become a dumping ground for kids play and art projects) Done.
- Adding: clean/declutter basement. Done.

Stuff that must be done by September 26
- organize/clean business building (in progress) Done.
- clean, organize and purge office spaces Done.
- update business order tracking physical files (the only part that isn't up to date!)Done.
- SOP paperworkDone.

Major step today: I sorted and purged baby items. We had everything from both kids... I want to keep some, especially things they wore a lot (sentimental...totally not like me usually but my babies appear to be the exception). I cut the pile in half so I'm going to count it as done. Getting rid of any more would make me sad. I neatly packed and labeled what remains. The rest will be donated.

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #375 on: November 30, 2016, 09:23:18 PM »
Yesterday I took a large bag of fabric to a donation site. They will sell it.

My husband has two large Rubbermaid boxes full of clothing he has not worn for over two years. I am gently encouraging him to go through  them, try on, and identify stuff to let go of. It is like pushing water uphill.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #376 on: December 01, 2016, 03:19:00 AM »
Ripped top (thanks to my dog!) was used to clean the kitchen floor and then binned.

Now it's colder I'm working my way through my tea stash.;)

frugalfanny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #377 on: December 03, 2016, 12:25:56 PM »

These are a few spots that I need to work on:

Makeup collection (I don't wear makeup)--Haven't quite thrown it all away but I did get it all in one place and sorted my hair junk as well
Clothes (closet and dresser drawers)--DONE!
Books--DONE! 11/10
VHS Tapes
T-shirts
Coats--DONE!
Linens--One more box to go
Take items to goodwill--DONE!
save items for Flea Market--Donated items instead. I'd rather sleep in on Saturday :)

Things I've done recently:
Organize scrapbook paper and stickers--DONE! 2/21
Kitchen junk drawer--DONE! 2/22
Organized bills and important documents -DONE!
Cleaned out bathroom vanity at my parent's house (I'm 29 and haven't lived there in 8 year so it's about time)--DONE! 11/25
Setting aside Christmas decorations that I don't want anymore--Work in Progress
Threw away electronics boxes I've been saving and tossed some of my grad school papers--DONE!

I've tackled a few more projects (highlighted in blue). Working on Christmas decorations at the moment. I have acquired an exercise bike and a spinning wheel recently (both for free!) and now I'm trying to figure out how to fit those and a Christmas tree in my living room in my one bedroom apartment which seems to have shrunk... ACK! Something else is going to have to go!

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #378 on: December 05, 2016, 06:09:50 AM »
My husband went through the box of clothes yesterday, and we have a shopping bag of nice pants to donate. He has lost considerable weight over the last two years, and is parting with the larger sizes.

bestideaever

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #379 on: December 06, 2016, 01:33:31 PM »
Making major progress. Donated around 300 items from a failed business to Goodwill, clearing up so much space in my apartment. Whew. Gave away some personal items as well, sold my old bike, etc. My apartment looks about a million times better than it has in two years, and I am still motivated to keep going :). Next up are some kitchen and living room drawers that keep the mess hidden away... I found some more gift cards with an 80$ balance for groceries on them while I decluttered, so in a way I consider it like getting paid for the trouble.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #380 on: December 07, 2016, 08:09:03 AM »

I hope this thread stays active. I think I'm going to have to start another 90 day cycle. I'm not going to get the ceilings done (grrr). And now that we are contemplating minimalist travel in Europe with the kids (goal of one carry on each), I've realized how much useless stuff is glomming up my house. Sigh... I think this will be round 4.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #381 on: December 07, 2016, 04:07:30 PM »

I realised that since the boxes of sentimental papers were out of the craft cupboard, I might as well go through them. I emptied a large plastic tub! Now my things take up one A3 paper box, and a small tub for my mobiles (hanging kids toys, not the phones). This is incredible, and exactly how much I wanted to keep!
I've been going through our study, and have been putting as much as I can in clear plastic boxes, so we can find everything at a glance.

As my belly gets bigger, I'm putting clothes in a box under my bed. I'm hoping this will let me get used to having less clothes available, and make it easier to reduce when I start bringing them back into my wardrobe. I'm impressed so far, I seem to have a good colour palette and most clothing is in good condition, there's just so much more than I realised! I don't think I'll need to buy anything in 2017 except some specialist maternity/breastfeeding clothing, which should mostly be underwear.

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #382 on: December 07, 2016, 09:19:41 PM »
I am still working on my grand declutter, but have slowed down because this is a busy month. Also I have been anxiety ridden since November 9. I tell myself that even getting rid of 10 things a week is progress, tiny tiny progress.

Next month I will kick it into a higher gear with another Minimalism Game and the January Cure.

Another positive thing is that I have avoided shopping, so no new items have entered the house. Well, two new bras have, but a woman needs lifting and separating. I give myself a pass on the Bustenhalters.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #383 on: December 11, 2016, 03:40:14 PM »
I started a new round Dec. 1. Goal is slightly more than 90 days: April 1.

1. Reorganize room usage (based on advice on another forum section). This will get our office space and the kids toys consolidated.
1b. Use newly created space to get my sewing machine back out of the closet so I can use it.
2. Cull outgrown kid stuff. (Mostly done as of today! Two carloads of donations...boy am I glad that 99% of it was given to us.)
3. Organize and pare down duplicate tools. Extras will be donated.
4. Main basement area clean out/organization. We aren't finishing it but want it to be usable space. Currently a trash heap.
5. Cull wardrobe to eliminate unloved/never worn pieces.
6. Finish ceilings (sand/prime/paint). Still not decluttering but still annoyingly ugly!
7. Paint inside of bathroom cabinets.

This is the preliminary list. I'm sure we'll add to it.

GoConfidently

• Stubble
« Reply #384 on: December 16, 2016, 02:50:05 PM »
I don't know my final 2016 tally yet (second round is still ongoing) because I want to do one more Goodwill run, but I am so happy about my Christmas gifts this year. I made it known early that I was doing a "non-consumer" Christmas. I asked for no store-bought gifts. My family got the message and have promised that they would play along. My friends and co-workers looked at me like I was weird, but they also played along. I bowed out of every gift exchange, secret santa, and white elephant. Our two secretaries agreed to let me buy them lunch at a quaint tea shop instead of gifts. My boss gave me a beautiful poinsettia (which I'm sure he bought but I think it's a great compromise). When I won a door prize at our luncheon I panicked for a moment because they were giving away table decorations, but then realized some other plants were up for grabs. I did all the cooking for a holiday dinner with friends. I exchanged art with two of my besties. Another friend gifted me homemade kombucha with a recipe. So all in all, I did not get any "things" for the holidays. I gave homemade jam and donations to charity in the name of others. It has been such a wonderful holiday. I have no tacky nick knacks to return and I had fun with people I care about. It's been a great year.

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #385 on: December 16, 2016, 04:49:16 PM »
GoConfidently, you are an inspiration!

The only presents I am buying for adults this year are consumables and movie tickets. I even got my Mom, the Present Queen, to agree to a cessation of presents. It is a miracle.

After working so hard to get all this crud out of our houses, the last thing any of us want is more junk.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #386 on: December 17, 2016, 12:25:17 AM »

I've been going through our study, and have been putting as much as I can in clear plastic boxes, so we can find everything at a glance.

As my belly gets bigger, I'm putting clothes in a box under my bed. I'm hoping this will let me get used to having less clothes available, and make it easier to reduce when I start bringing them back into my wardrobe. I'm impressed so far, I seem to have a good colour palette and most clothing is in good condition, there's just so much more than I realised! I don't think I'll need to buy anything in 2017 except some specialist maternity/breastfeeding clothing, which should mostly be underwear.
OK, went through the shed today. Goal was to get rid of obvious junk, and tidy what's in there. It's mostly full of... Empty plastic storage boxes. Huh. It also has some of the owners/previous tenant's items. In January, DH will pull everything out of the shed, we'll photograph the stuff that's not ours and send through to the real estate agent so the owner can make decisions on it. Whatever we're asked to keep will go on one shelf (they're really long shelves). With luck, we'll be able to put some of the stuff we keep inside the house but use seasonally into the best plastic boxes and clear some more space for baby. Ideally our bikes would go there, but we need to spray for bugs/ spiders first.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #387 on: December 18, 2016, 01:30:29 PM »
1. Reorganize room usage (based on advice on another forum section). This will get our office space and the kids toys consolidated. Mostly done! We just need to wait until the ice melts to shift extra things to the outbuilding (table we need out there).
1b. Use newly created space to get my sewing machine back out of the closet so I can use it. Done.
2. Cull outgrown kid stuff. Done.
4. Main basement area clean out/organization. We aren't finishing it but want it to be usable space. Currently a trash heap. In Progress
5. Cull wardrobe to eliminate unloved/never worn pieces. Done.
6. Finish ceilings (sand/prime/paint). Still not decluttering but still annoyingly ugly!

Getting iced in is great for decluttering! I have another small box of donations so far...mostly shoes (high heels) that I never wear and some unwanted books.

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #388 on: December 22, 2016, 07:17:44 PM »
At work today we did one of those white elephant gift swaps. I got something so stupid I am not bringing it home. It was purchased at Bed Bath & Beyond, so I am going to try to return it. If not, it is going to the goodwill. I did get a couple pair of nice socks from one coworker and a lotion/lip balm combo from another. Those useful gifts can stay, although I will leave the lotion at work!

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #389 on: December 23, 2016, 06:02:00 AM »
Upon shredding some bank statements, I found one envelope that contained not a bank statement, but an escrow rebate check, long expired. I called up the credit union, and they were happy to issue a new one -- they even had it overnighted to me at no cost (unnecessary, but very kind). I feel like I just got paid $250 for finally going through a box of mail I'd been avoiding. :)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #390 on: December 23, 2016, 09:43:11 AM »
Upon shredding some bank statements, I found one envelope that contained not a bank statement, but an escrow rebate check, long expired. I called up the credit union, and they were happy to issue a new one -- they even had it overnighted to me at no cost (unnecessary, but very kind). I feel like I just got paid $250 for finally going through a box of mail I'd been avoiding. :)

Wooohoo! That is awesome. I hope all our decluttering efforts are so literally rewarding.

aoedae

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #391 on: December 27, 2016, 03:15:25 AM »
Love this thread - I hope I'm not too late to the party to start now and roll on into 2017?

My plans for the next 90 days (start: 1st January, finish 30th March):

1. My wardrobe
Make a list of items needed to complete remaining wardrobe (skirts, I'm looking at you!)
Organise by type of clothing and work vs. non-work
Add some scented lavender pouches made from my garden/herbs

2. Help my partner rent the front room
We regularly rent out the front room for £480 per month, but my partner is chronically ill and hasn't had the time to sort this out. I've already cleared all the leftovers from the previous tenant, dusted, put new bedsheets on, vacuumed, replaced the lightbulb and got a nice new office chair for £3.00 on eBay to replace the old one, which was falling apart but has gone on Freecycle. It will be done by mid-January, this I vow!
Optional bonus: persuade partner to let me put the spare room on AirBnB. Sadly, I will get no monetary return from any of my labour here, as I don't share finances with my partner, but his happiness is my happiness, etc.

3. Scrub the mould off the wall in my bedroom
There's a fitted cupboard that I discovered was covered in mould when I moved into my room - someone had stored old cardboard boxes up against an exterior wall in a room right next to the bathroom! I need to scrub it down so that the whole cupboard becomes suitable for storage, and I plan to use it for sailing gear that is cluttering up downstairs.
03/01: I've had a go with bleach and washing up liquid and have made some progress, but not enough.

4. Sell all my eBay leftovers
I have an enormous pile of old clothes I bought cheap for resale several years ago, just before all of my time was consumed by work and partner. It's time to make my way through >100 items and get some cash for them. I'll be cycling anything I sell to the local post office.
(Items sold: 1 - Value: £28.50 - Costs: £4)

5. Clean out my stuff from my parents house
02/01: Partial success - I've brought several large bags of items to use or dispose of up to my current house, and have just finished putting them away.

6. Help partner organise his tool shelf

7. Freecycle useful (but unsellable) items

I'm going to update this list and add explanations as I progress... Wish me luck!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 02:13:17 PM by aoedae »

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #392 on: December 27, 2016, 12:29:22 PM »
Nope, not too late aoedae. I'm trying to finish up in the same time frame as you. Glad to have company!

1. Reorganize room usage (based on advice on another forum section). This will get our office space and the kids toys consolidated. Done!
1b. Use newly created space to get my sewing machine back out of the closet so I can use it. Done.
2. Cull outgrown kid stuff. Done.
4. Main basement area clean out/organization. We aren't finishing it but want it to be usable space. Currently a trash heap. Over half done. Already a huge improvement!
5. Cull wardrobe to eliminate unloved/never worn pieces. Done.
6. Finish ceilings (sand/prime/paint). Supplies obtained.

After nearly a year of sporadic, intense decluttering, I'm starting to feel like we're getting to a much better state. The house seems easier to clean, bigger, and more usable.

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #393 on: December 30, 2016, 08:00:36 PM »
My niece and I are partnering to do the Minimalism game starting on January 1! I have taken it easy on the de-cluttering since the holidays started, but I am ready to hit it hard again.

• Clean out all four drawers of the large filing cabinet
  • Sort through everything in the attic crawl space storage, with Goal of reducing stuff by 50%
  • Get rid of any clothes not worn for last year. If this means I wind up with only 7 outfits, so be it.
  • Gently lead husband to facing his own paper tiger
  • Revisit basement, getting rid of more things now that we have had months to consider what made it through the last purge.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #394 on: January 01, 2017, 04:19:37 AM »
I did very well with decluttering in 2016. Roll on 2017.:)

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #395 on: January 02, 2017, 08:55:50 PM »
My niece and I are partnering to do the Minimalism game starting on January 1! I have taken it easy on the de-cluttering since the holidays started, but I am ready to hit it hard again.

First two days of the New Year and I have:

Put in the donation box: one nice slip that does not fit

Put in recycling: some Christmas cards and my 2016 planner and a large stack of old paper records

Tossed: four pairs of ratty underpants and a stained shirt.

Edited to add that my de cluttering and debunking is going really well, but I took an evening off to watch the Tigers beat the Crimson Tide in a hard fought game.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 11:57:07 PM by CU Tiger »

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #396 on: January 10, 2017, 08:57:35 PM »
I am using Apartment Therapy's January Cure and the Minimalism Game to focus my efforts to streamline and organize the house. I have done the pantry, closets, and tomorrow, the floors. My donate box is overflowing, it goes out tomorrow.

Anyone else making progress?

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #397 on: January 11, 2017, 02:11:31 AM »
I'm working through the laptops, computers and mobile phones right now. My desktop is getting repaired, so by the time it's back in a fortnight I want to be ready to ditch all these unused ones. I want to get rid of:
- 2 laptops
- 1 slow desktop
- 4 mobile phones, all mine. 2 brick, 2 touchscreen.

That should leave us with a mobile each, a desktop computer and a tablet. DH intends to purchase a new laptop as the desktop is 5 years+, and we need something we can use if, like now, it ends up in the shop, as we both work from home on occasion.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #398 on: January 11, 2017, 05:47:31 AM »
I gave away some more stuff to my students, and my home office desk is about 80% uncluttered.

I found a completely empty cabinet in my house that should be big enough for all the board games, so I think I'm going to bring those in from the garage. Once the garage is clear, my renters/roommates should be able to empty their storage unit and store their stuff in our garage (it'll take way less room than the stuff I'm moving out), saving them a good chunk of money, so I'm excited to find some more space for them.

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #399 on: January 15, 2017, 09:14:42 PM »
Day 14 of my Minimalism Challenge. I found 14 things to donate or toss. This is one of the few things I feel in control of right now, and it is helping me stay sane. This and the January Cure are making a noticeable difference in our home.

We find things more easily. I don't have to paw through piles of stuff to find that one thing I need.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!