Author Topic: December Cycling Challenge  (Read 11663 times)

etselec

• Stubble
December Cycling Challenge
« on: December 02, 2013, 11:45:12 AM »
Okay folks, here we go! The December challenge is up at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhzXhRnI6IaDdGN4c3JvNXdDNXFKNUpGLVNHOExxQVE#gid=1.

If you logged miles last month, you already have a sheet for December. If you need help making a sheet, feel free to post and we can help you out.

My goal for this month is to ride every workday that I feel safe (freezing rain and snow are out, since all I have are skinny slippy road tires right now).

crazy jane

• Bristles
Re: December Cycling Challenge
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 01:36:57 PM »
Thank you! I'm up to 1032 miles since joining in February!!!!

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 01:47:21 PM »
My commute is only about 2 miles each way, but in winter which started sometimes in early October in Yellowknife, temperatures go as low as -40, without the windchill factor. While I could ride my bike for hours in South of 60 temperatures, one mile in subzero weather is, in terms of pain and effort, probably equivalent in my experience to about 20 miles, and most of the time not enjoyable at all...if we could factor temperature and pain in the equation, I think I'd win :)

TrMama

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 04:22:12 PM »
I rode into work this morning in somewhat frosty conditions with my skinny-tired road bike. I can't figure out if I'm getting braver about riding on slippery roads, or just more reckless.

There's wet snow in the forecast for later this week. I may have to break out my old beast of a mountain bike.

Nancy

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 07:58:00 AM »
Thanks, etselec!

Way to ride over 5,000 miles last month, gang! Russ and Krazyken both broke 500 miles. That's totally badass!

baniak

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 10:00:05 AM »
Thanks etselec!

Dwayne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 05:16:07 AM »
I was planning to break 7,000 commuting miles for the year, but on 11/22 I crashed on the way home and ended up breaking my left pinky. After having a splint for a week afterward, I had the option of surgery to correct a slight rotation in the break, or buddy-taping with the ring finger and being careful. The offset really isn't bad at all, so I went with the tape (no cast, yay!) instead of pins sticking out of my hands for a month. Downside is I can't ride... well, technically I could I guess, but even a small incident could really mess the break up. Might be able to get a couple miles in at the end of the month, but my total bike commute mileage for the year is 6,669 miles.

etselec

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 08:13:59 AM »
Sorry to hear it Dwayne! I think at 6,000+ miles you're still squarely in the "badass" category. We look forward to having you back once you're healed!

TrMama

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 01:55:35 PM »
Ack! I live in the PNW and it's supposed to snow tomorrow. I've never, ever ridden in snow. My commute is 8 miles each way. Any tips?

My silly carbon fibre road bike will be getting swapped for an ancient mountain bike tomorrow. It currently has a knobby tire on the front and a slick on the rear. I think I need to swap the front and rear tires tonight, right?

JessieImproved

• Stubble
    • Jessie : Improved
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 03:51:45 PM »
I'm in!  I have a shmancy new bike too, so I'm hoping I can actually pull the kiddos in it!! :-)

melalvai

• Pencil Stache
    • Bicycling and Walking Around
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 05:06:37 PM »
My commute is only about 2 miles each way, but in winter which started sometimes in early October in Yellowknife, temperatures go as low as -40, without the windchill factor. While I could ride my bike for hours in South of 60 temperatures, one mile in subzero weather is, in terms of pain and effort, probably equivalent in my experience to about 20 miles, and most of the time not enjoyable at all...if we could factor temperature and pain in the equation, I think I'd win :)
Sometimes it makes more sense to walk. I'm more comfortable walking than biking when it's really cold. However for me "really cold" is nowhere near -40 (F? C? hardly matters though). What you're talking about is so far beyond "really cold" I can't even imagine.

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 11:45:34 PM »
-40 F = -40 C :)

RobertBirnie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 01:41:39 PM »
I added a sheet for myself. Although my commute is super short, this will help me a lot to keep up with riding if others are watching.

Can someone add me to the front sheet, although I think I could do it I don't want to break anything. =D
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 01:45:41 PM by RobertBirnie »

somepissedoffman

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 02:10:07 PM »
Added you to the front sheet, Robert.  Pretty sure I didn't break anything...
I'm really liking the monthly challenge so far.  I started bike commuting on and off about a year and a half ago, but mostly would just ride 3 or 4 days a week, and less often when it's cold (by San Diego standards :) ).  Thinking of the horror of a blank entry in my spreadsheet is keeping me going now.

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 03:24:29 PM »
Totally wussed out today and drove :( Plenty of complainypants excuses: broken spoke, short on sleep, subzero temps, terrible road conditions (deep icy ruts on many road). Good thing Monday is a new week... facepunch please!

RobertBirnie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2013, 04:02:14 PM »
When its super cold out do you folks wear some sort of riding glasses? My eyes water so fast from the cold winter air that I can hardly see, and its only ~50F here... I need to outfit myself with better riding gear, today the wind went down my shirt whole way to work and I nearly froze.

somepissedoffman

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2013, 07:06:17 PM »
Say it ain't so Pindystache!  That drops you out of second place :)

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2013, 08:19:33 PM »
When its super cold out do you folks wear some sort of riding glasses? My eyes water so fast from the cold winter air that I can hardly see, and its only ~50F here... I need to outfit myself with better riding gear, today the wind went down my shirt whole way to work and I nearly froze.

I never use goggles even at -35 like we had last night in our neck of the woods. I only wear goggles when there is a blizzard but other than that, I don't find they help much. Below -30, biking is actually painful and quickly exhausting, not so because of the cold, but from difficult and heavy breathing that consume your energy in no time. Above -20, it is actually pleasant, if one dresses properly.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2013, 08:35:38 PM »

As opposed to no glasses at all? I'd wear something, at the very least to prevent road debris from hitting me in the eye. Regular sunglasses are fine, or clear safety glasses can be bought from a hardware store for riding at night.

I just wear my regular prescription glasses when I ride because prescription shades are pricey and contacts + regular sunglasses would be a PITA. I might buy some goggles if it starts going below 0*F regularly, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

warmer clothes are definitely also part of the solution.

somepissedoffman

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2013, 09:28:05 PM »
As opposed to no glasses at all? I'd wear something, at the very least to prevent road debris from hitting me in the eye. Regular sunglasses are fine, or clear safety glasses can be bought from a hardware store for riding at night.

I just wear my regular prescription glasses when I ride because prescription shades are pricey and contacts + regular sunglasses would be a PITA. I might buy some goggles if it starts going below 0*F regularly, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

warmer clothes are definitely also part of the solution.

Agreed on the windshield.  I don't wear eye protection most of the time because I only have sunglasses and it's usually darkish when I ride, and that's one of the stupider things I do.  I've gotten gnats in my eye twice, and luckily was all by my lonesome, but it could've been suboptimal if I were in traffic.  I've just now convinced myself that I shouldn't ride without eye protection anymore.

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2013, 02:50:23 PM »

This is a very YMMV thing. I have a pair of riding goggles that were a gift, but they fog up real quick so I only wear them if it's snowing heavily. I should probably get less insulated/better ventilated hardware-store-style eye protection, but meh...

RobertBirnie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2013, 09:13:24 PM »
Thanks for the input! I think I'll pick up some hardware-store glasses next time i ride by. I am usually coming home in the dark and sunglasses are too dark.

Thanks!

melalvai

• Pencil Stache
    • Bicycling and Walking Around
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2013, 06:27:49 AM »
I got safety goggles from the hardware store for $2. They fog up in cold weather, but most of the year they are fine.

crazy jane

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2013, 06:58:23 AM »
I wear ski goggles. They are the key to riding in sub zero temps for me. They never fog and cover the part of my face that the neoprene mask doesn't.

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2013, 11:54:38 AM »
Hey, it was above 0 F this morning! Now if only the "bulletproof ice" on the streets would melt... though it's not supposed to do so for another 5 days. Guess I'm sticking with the alternate route for the rest of the week.

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2013, 11:58:56 AM »
I just wear my glasses...haven't found a pair of goggles that fit AND work in combination with glasses.  So, I don't bother.  Just use a ninja mask with a breathable fabric around the mouth.  It works sort of most of the time...a huge improvement on last year when I wore a non-breathable ninja mask and had ice covering the inside of my glasses.

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2013, 06:23:54 AM »
Hey!  It was -21C (-6F) this morning on the commute.  Coldest of the year so far and no problem.  :-)

marblejane

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2013, 09:59:31 PM »
I live in the SF Bay Area, so no crazy cold weather to be badass in. BUT, there was a light frost this morning, and I saw not one, but two, men outside pouring buckets of warm water on their car windshields. Le sigh.

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2013, 05:47:40 AM »
I live in the SF Bay Area, so no crazy cold weather to be badass in. BUT, there was a light frost this morning, and I saw not one, but two, men outside pouring buckets of warm water on their car windshields. Le sigh.
LOL!  It's all a matter of what the norms are in your area.  If I poured water on my car in the winter here...I wouldn't be able to use it for weeks!  Perhaps I should!

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2013, 10:35:15 AM »

I biked this morning...it should get colder tonight, so I'm either sleeping at my office, or taking a cab home...you can call me a sissy...

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2013, 11:32:37 AM »

I biked this morning...it should get colder tonight, so I'm either sleeping at my office, or taking a cab home...you can call me a sissy...

Ha! I think you should bike home.  Then we will petition the moderators to promote you from "Bristles" to the only "BADASS" designation that will be issued for 2013. 

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2013, 01:44:52 AM »
I took this one up. But for different reasons than my Northern hemisphere buddies.

You see, the current temperature here is set to be above 35*C here for at least the next two weeks. And in the Australian sun, I get sunburned (even at 7am!) on my 10km (one way) commute if I forget to put on sunscreen for my 20 minute ride.

So far (a fortnight in), I have ridden eight days out of ten, i.e.  (the two driving days were for justifiable reasons, such as picking up a dog)

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2013, 02:08:13 AM »
I should add, that I don't feel comfortable adding my name to the spreadsheet, because the assumptions are different and I think it'll skew things:

- Petrol/diesel (gas) is so much more expensive in Australia.
- CO2 savings for biking distance will be different, because people tend to have smaller/more efficient vehicles over here, as a general rule. (When I have travelled to the US I have always been shocked at how 'large' the average vehicle is, although over here vehicles are larger than continental Europe). Of course there are people who have ridiculously oversized things, but something as shitty as 20mpg without a good reason isn't the common thing. I used to live in an area (regional/rural/farming) where a lot of people had a really good reason to have a 4WD, but most farmers I used to work with had something for doing actual 4WD 'work' with, and then a smaller 'runaround' car for trips into town

annaraven

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2013, 02:51:13 AM »
I should add, that I don't feel comfortable adding my name to the spreadsheet, because the assumptions are different and I think it'll skew things:

- CO2 savings for biking distance will be different, because people tend to have smaller/more efficient vehicles over here, as a general rule.

Why would it skew things? I drive a 2005 Prius. It gets 40 mpg in the city. So if I bike does that skew things because other people typically have worse gas mileage? Also, in California, gas is always more expensive than the rest of the US - although nowhere near petrol in Europe or, apparently, Oz. I dunno. I'd add yourself and let the moderator decide.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2013, 10:37:03 AM »
Yikes, ykphil!!  That's darn cold!  You are most certainly NOT a wimp in my book!!

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2013, 06:06:04 AM »
Finally back in the bike saddle. 

etselec

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2013, 01:23:26 PM »

- CO2 savings for biking distance will be different, because people tend to have smaller/more efficient vehicles over here, as a general rule.

Why would it skew things? I drive a 2005 Prius. It gets 40 mpg in the city. So if I bike does that skew things because other people typically have worse gas mileage? Also, in California, gas is always more expensive than the rest of the US - although nowhere near petrol in Europe or, apparently, Oz. I dunno. I'd add yourself and let the moderator decide.

Go ahead and add yourself! I don't even have a car, so my biking replaces public transit, not driving. The CO2 and fuel cost calculations are just for a vague reference - the main point of this challenge is to bike more miles and get more badass!

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2013, 08:46:44 PM »
Alrighty then, you guys have convinced me.

Now everyone can have a chuckle at my 'badass conditions'.

annaraven

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2013, 09:54:52 PM »
I actually dug my bike out of the garage today and brought it to the bike shop to make sure the tires and tubes aren't gonna pop on me. It's happy enough to ride now - so tomorrow, I will be riding again. Yay.

TrMama

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2013, 11:30:07 AM »
Got my wish to ride in the snow today. It was so fun!

StashinIt

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2013, 07:29:21 PM »
Glad to see so many still rolling. I just entered my December miles, but now that I have a handy dandy bicycle computer it's been doing all the recording for me now-a-days. Plus all my miles have been recreational since I retired.. so it's not really $ savings.

Mori

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2013, 12:45:42 PM »
W00t! Just added myself--gearing up to bike to work, once I'm sure I can handle the mileage and hills. This is motivational.

I also changed the distance summation on the front page of the spreadsheet, because it stopped about 4 cells from the end of the list.

marblejane

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2013, 03:26:59 PM »
Woo hoo! I just cracked 100 miles for the month :)

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2013, 04:33:32 PM »
Congrats everybody on sticking out the cold (or heat for some!). "Can't get much colder than this" is what I'm telling myself in preparation for next month ;-)

JessieImproved

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2013, 08:18:32 PM »
Biked to the grocery store, at 7:30pm on New Years Eve!!  Pretty much feeling like a badass at the moment. :-)

JessieImproved

• Stubble
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2013, 09:05:01 PM »
Just accessorized with some front and rear lights (so I feel more comfortable riding at night), a front basket to balance the weight (already have rear baskets), and a cargo net for super grocery hauls.  Bring on the January challenge!!!