Author Topic: December Cycling Challenge 2016  (Read 5429 times)

jordanread

December Cycling Challenge 2016
« on: December 03, 2016, 11:11:33 AM »
The cycling challenge for December 2016 is up and ready for you to start (or continue) riding!!
If you logged miles last month, and selected "Remember Me" on the form, you have been added to this month's sheet already.

If you didn't log miles last month, or are a new participant
Click here to fill out the form.
You can access the sheet directly at this link.
I can manually grab your historical data too, so if it's off, just let me know.  If they aren't there within a day, or you have any other issues with the sheet, hit me up via email, Google+ Hangouts, PM, or just comment on this thread.
Happy biking!!

duck-duck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: December Cycling Challenge 2016
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 01:06:21 PM »
Today I accomplished my yearly goal of 1200 miles and should easily be able to add another 100-150 by the end of the month!. Decided to make the goal 1800 miles for 2017. Hoping to do a couple of overnight tours with the family.

With that said. Any recommendation for routine maintenance? I generally just clean and lube the chain every couple hundred miles and fix things as they pop up.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 01:08:28 PM by duck-duck »

TrMama

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 03:18:08 PM »
Thanks for getting the challenge up, Jordan!

Quote from: duck-duck
link=topic=65062.msg1326865#msg1326865 date=1480795581
With that said. Any recommendation for routine maintenance? I generally just clean and lube the chain every couple hundred miles and fix things as they pop up.

Keeping the drive train clean and lubed is the bulk of your necessary maintenance. I also like to wipe down my rims since I have rim brakes and ride in wet weather 6 months of the year. I keep an eye on the brake pads and change them as necessary.

Otherwise, I keep a few parts "in stock" (aka stashed in the garage) so when those parts wear out I can just stick the new one on and not have to miss a day of riding. My spare parts shelf usually has a new chain, a spare tire, a few new tubes and a box of brake pads. In the next few months, I'm also going to need to replace my back wheel (rim is really worn) and all my gears (the teeth are getting pretty worn down).

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 08:05:29 PM »
Today I accomplished my yearly goal of 1200 miles and should easily be able to add another 100-150 by the end of the month!

Congrats!!  I think your goal for next year is excellent :)

I've been riding my cross bike since May after not riding in years.  Starting tomorrow I'll be riding my son's mountain bike that he's lending me for winter!  Stopping in the shop for fenders and maybe studs before they start selling out now that it's below freezing.  My commute Wednesday will be my first sub-zero wind chill ride ever :)

jordanread

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 08:15:23 PM »
Winter riding is so much fun!! (This was from last year).

EfficiencyNerd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Check out my blog! www.fimposter.com
    • FImposter - A Journey from Imposter to Financial Independence
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 09:12:58 PM »
Hi all, would I be allowed to join as someone who is currently converting my bike into an e-bike? Main reason I'm doing so is for time... I could bike my 16 mile one-way commute, but with stop lights it would take near an hour and a half. I'm hoping to cut that down to an hour or less with an ebike. I realize having an ebike is partially cheating in some sense, and I'd probably be doing fairly high miles every month (32 miles a day * 5 days a week * 4 weeks = 640 miles, if I commute by bike every day in a month).

So, how bout it? Is this spreadsheet for pedal-power only riders, or would an electric assist bike be accepted?

jordanread

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 09:38:35 PM »
Hi all, would I be allowed to join as someone who is currently converting my bike into an e-bike? Main reason I'm doing so is for time... I could bike my 16 mile one-way commute, but with stop lights it would take near an hour and a half. I'm hoping to cut that down to an hour or less with an ebike. I realize having an ebike is partially cheating in some sense, and I'd probably be doing fairly high miles every month (32 miles a day * 5 days a week * 4 weeks = 640 miles, if I commute by bike every day in a month).

So, how bout it? Is this spreadsheet for pedal-power only riders, or would an electric assist bike be accepted?

You are more than welcome to join. We've had people who join, and only ride an ebike, we have other people who have 2 usernames (that's the method of record) for their pedal power, and the ebike. It's whatever you want.

We are just here to log things, up my post count ;),  have historical data, and keep it fun, and a consistent place for knowledge.

Paul | pdgessler

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 08:32:18 AM »
Somehow when I used the form to re-add my name this month (I did not log any miles last month... facepunch!), it added a sheet for pdgessler and another "conflict" sheet, and now the summary page is goofed up, too. jordanread, can you take a look when you have a moment? Sorry for breaking things!

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 08:01:09 PM »
EfficiencyNerd I haven't ridden an e-bike but talking to people who do, it seems a heckuva lot harder to ride with pedal assist through a winter than to ride without in nice weather :) 

I've cut my own one way commute from 11-12 miles to either 3 or 6 by catching a bus to get me across the river and sometimes light rail to get me to work.  I'm using much bigger engines to help me than you will be!  The important part is that I'm on my bike in December for the first time ever, and following then joining this group has been a big part of that. 

EfficiencyNerd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Check out my blog! www.fimposter.com
    • FImposter - A Journey from Imposter to Financial Independence
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 08:19:52 PM »
EfficiencyNerd I haven't ridden an e-bike but talking to people who do, it seems a heckuva lot harder to ride with pedal assist through a winter than to ride without in nice weather :) 

I've cut my own one way commute from 11-12 miles to either 3 or 6 by catching a bus to get me across the river and sometimes light rail to get me to work.  I'm using much bigger engines to help me than you will be!  The important part is that I'm on my bike in December for the first time ever, and following then joining this group has been a big part of that.

Haha, I imagine riding in nice weather is easier no which way you slice it. Last winter, I had a nice 2 mile commute that I rode completely through the winter - snowy days, icy sidewalks, bitter cold, the whole enchilada. However, that was 2 miles one way and now I've got 16. On snowy/icy days, I'll probably just resort to driving - or working from home. :)

I already know what it feels like riding in winter, with all that gear on etc - the point of building an ebike is just to increase my speed. Granted, that will also become more difficult when there are snow banks to watch out for....

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 05:44:59 PM »
Winter has arrived... Or at least a Siberian high has descended on the prairies. A couple of family bike errands on Sunday in a snowstorm... Really a blizzard at times... And a trial ride to the grocery store at -20c (-30c windchill) to try and dial in the gear for my 3 year old. Since she wanted to stay outside and play when we got there, I assume she was warm enough! I am debating if I want to ride to swimming tonight, not sure I want to ride home with wet hair... It's cold out there!

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2016, 08:10:37 PM »
Wet hair is no fun!

We also have entered the sub-freezing half of the year ;)  I ended up on call (and therefore have to drive to work) so didn't log as many commuting days as I hoped I would.  Same for the coming week.

On the flip side, my loaner mountain bike has been winterfied and is waiting for me at the bike shop!  Hooray! I won't be so chicken to join the monthly group rides now!

Goggles are #1 priority at the moment, at least when riding in traffic.  On lonely trails and roads at 5am it doesn't matter as much that I can only see blurry lights through my foggy eyewear :/

TrMama

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2016, 10:55:47 AM »
Ugh, I think this month will be a wash. It doesn't normally snow here, so the fact that we had snow and ice several times last week and then again this morning has been a challenge. Winter road maintenance is virtually nil here (no salt, sand or plowing). Luckily, I opted to put winter tires on my car a few weeks ago, so I'm not totally stuck at home.

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2016, 07:30:34 PM »
I'm very lucky to live in a city that has great road maintenance in winter.  The other side of the river isn't quite as good ;) but is years ahead of non-urban areas. 

I'm on call all week so can't bike to work :(  Probably ok since my glasses fog up terribly now - goggles are on the way.  Got my winter steed back yesterday, though-- the shop let me pick it up on their closed day just so I could get out and play in the snow!  Driving home tonight with cold hands and butt made me wish I was biking instead!! 

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2016, 09:13:53 PM »
Hurray! Our city just voted to keep the downtown cycletrack network... which is hugely important for when I take my kids downtown, or in the winter (and any other less than ideal conditions) the snow and ice control for the cycle tracks is fantastic... and since there are now cars/buses to push snow back into the lanes, they stay clear....

And in other news, I think I prefer -20C and calm to the +1C and 70km/h! wind gusts... and the sticky, slushy, snirt that goes along with the warming... oh and the ice ups that are coming tonight.
Even my fenders didn't keep my shins clean, and my bike definitely needs a wash. This did not happen when it was super cold.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2016, 07:14:19 AM »
Been busy with the move and now logged my miles for last month and this.  Had a four weeks with 18 rest days while preparing for the move.  Since being here I've had only one day without cycling, though it may be two as of tomorrow.  Weather has been great, mostly in the 80's with overnight lows in the 70's.  We did have a "cold front" come in last week which dropped the high to 74-78 with lows in the mid 60's.

I've been riding on a folding bike since I got here as my road bike is on a boat which is set to get here this week.  Should be back on the road bike and much more comfortable next week.

In a weird twist of events I'm actually moving back to the states mid January and will have to endure the Northwest winter and shorter days.

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2016, 04:07:39 PM »
We are getting a snow storm just in time for Christmas... and it is the busiest shopping day of the year... and we needed salt for our christmas roast. So the whole family biked through 2" or so of fresh snow (it's just below freezing so warmer than it has been). There was no parking in our local strip mall, people were circling like vultures... and on the ride back when we had to cross the 6 lane thoroughfare separating our neighbourhood from the stores... it was backed up and barely moving! Win!

My snow handling skills are much improved from my first winter two years ago, there was lots of hidden tire tracks of shirt under the fresh new snow. I also had the baby in a baby seat, and was on my commuter, (DH took the cargo bike and the tot) we were pretty tippy with his weight up so high. But I only had to put my feet down a few times, as you can probably guess we were going slightly faster then a walking pace. My three year old had a blast catching snowflakes on her tongue while biking... she kept saying what a wonderful day for a bike, at least until her toes got cold. Dammit girl where socks under your snow Boots!

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2016, 10:34:03 AM »
Kmp2 I love your updates! 

ohyonghao as much as I'm enjoying winter riding so far (on the not-windy days anyway, ha), your current weather sounds delightful :)

I did a group ride on Friday, during a freezing rain storm.  It was a total blast -- cars were getting no traction at intersections but my studded tires had no trouble (putting my foot down, however, was scary the first few times).  I am loving this bike group -- no drop, slow enough to chat with others, and a great mix of people to help newbies like me if needed.

Today was the first day in 2 weeks I've been able to bike commute due to my call schedule.  There was still quite a bit of ice on the roads and pathways - I definitely appreciate my tires!  It was also the first day I've worn my ski goggles (it wasn't cold enough to need them on Friday) -- WOW they make a huge difference!  Clear vision and a toasty warm face.

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2016, 03:57:11 PM »
Thanks Katscratch! We got a few more inches of snow after that last bike ride, so I am not sure when I will have the courage to get out biking again. Maybe the next time I get a chance to go alone? But those opportunities are few and far between, most of my rides now are getting somewhere with my kids.

jordanread

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2016, 03:59:22 PM »
Thanks Katscratch! We got a few more inches of snow after that last bike ride, so I am not sure when I will have the courage to get out biking again. Maybe the next time I get a chance to go alone? But those opportunities are few and far between, most of my rides now are getting somewhere with my kids.
At least you have the kids riding in the snow. That's pretty badass.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2016, 07:33:20 PM »
Finally got the road bike after over a month of shipping.  I'd been riding on fitness equipment while in the States and then on a Dahon folding bike while in Taiwan.  The folding bike did surprisingly well, and I'll probably use it as a commuter for trips in town.  Absence does make the heart grow fonder.  Getting back on Junior just felt amazing, breaking all the personal records I set in the last three weeks here.  I'll be getting a few big rides in January before heading back to the states on 1/14.

The temporary accommodations I have arranged in the States include about a 3mi bike commute to work, and within about 3mi of groceries and Costco.

jordanread