Author Topic: December Cycling Challenge 2014  (Read 20443 times)

jordanread

Re: December Cycling Challenge 2014
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2014, 12:39:05 PM »
On the subject of glasses, does anyone have any preference between ordinary prescription glasses vs nothing at all, or contacts?

I wear regular glasses and have never been able to manage contacts. So I also wear my glasses to commute. In the PNW in the winter this means I wear them in the dark and rain. They're really hard to see out of when they fog up, which is most of the time, and I've been considering LASIK (our insurance should cover more than half the cost). However, since I can't bike without glasses in the rain to test my theory, I'm not convinced LASIK would even make any difference.

With the exception of the eyelashes getting frozen together in snow, I very much enjoy no glasses. My sunglasses fog up when I stop at a couple of lights, and I remember how much more I prefer not wearing glasses. Lasik was one of the best investments I've ever made, and I paid out of pocket.

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2014, 02:33:48 PM »
I wear my contacts when it's cold enough I want to tuck behind a fleece neck warmer, or balaclava. That's below about -10c  now, although I am building up tolerance. My glasses fog up if I am trying to breathe into something to keep warm. Otherwise I just wear my prescription glasses.

I am seriously thinking of ski goggles, but will probably wear my contacts under them, for colder temps.

Sorry it doesn't rain much here, I can usually wait out a thunderstorm deluge or the visor on my helmet keeps my glasses relatively dry.

jordanread

« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2014, 03:35:34 PM »
Just got home. Physics are different with the new pannier. Gear caused a great issue to have in December. More later.

jordanread

« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2014, 04:31:55 PM »
So someone had asked if I was worried about wrecking with the laptop in the pannier. I said I was a bit, hence the reason I got the pannier I did. Well, after riding with the pannier for the first time, I will say this: This damn thing is so freaking sturdy, so well designed, that the only way something would happen to the laptop is if I got hit by a car, at which point the laptop would not really be a concern. The mounting system is amazing as well, so it doesn't budge, even if I catch some air (it has been known to happen). Overall, I'm very pleased with it. Now, since I just got them, I decided to bring a bunch of stuff, just in case. Of course, I realized after I got back home that a second base layer isn't necessary, and while packing I added a full additional set of clothing by mistake. I also had my regular change of clothing, my booties, and my arm warmers. I forgot my hat, so I wound up wearing the balaclava, just to cover my ears.

Well, as I said, the ride in was fine. However, it was 63°F on the way home, and with an additional base layer put in the pack, I didn't have room for the jacket. I was sweating my ass off on the ride home. It was warm to begin with, and then to start actually working...wow. Also, having just about 20lbs of gear (like I said, I carry a fair amount of technology for my job, and obviously suck at picking the required stuff to bring along), and moving it from my back to the left pannier, really changed the way the bike handled. I need to increase the PSI in my back tire for sure, and just be aware that it makes the entire bike heavier. The one benefit (and it's totally not worth it) to a backpack for me is the ability to adjust the center of gravity, especially on the one big hill I have. The legs were working harder than usual. Overall though, with the exception of some longer tights/bike shorts, I can't think of any other conditions that would prevent me from biking (besides time). Yay!!

GreenPen

• Stubble
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2014, 01:05:15 PM »
I just wanted to say that I think everyone here is pretty badass, and it's inspirational.

I live in the sunny state of CA, where biking typically requires little to no badassity. We are getting hit now with what people are calling the "worst storm in years". In the past, I would bike in the rain but be grumpy about it. But thanks to all the hardcore bikers on this forum, I used this as a rare opportunity to relish in biking badassity. (I even stopped to photograph the portion of my route where I got to bike "upstream"). It's crazy how a community like this can really change your attitude.

jamal utah

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2014, 01:33:21 PM »
I just wanted to say that I think everyone here is pretty badass, and it's inspirational.

I live in the sunny state of CA, where biking typically requires little to no badassity. We are getting hit now with what people are calling the "worst storm in years". In the past, I would bike in the rain but be grumpy about it. But thanks to all the hardcore bikers on this forum, I used this as a rare opportunity to relish in biking badassity. (I even stopped to photograph the portion of my route where I got to bike "upstream"). It's crazy how a community like this can really change your attitude.

Ha.  I'd choose cold weather over pools of water any day.

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2014, 02:19:27 PM »

LOL, that looks like my average winter Seattle commute (only not as wet).

jordanread

« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2014, 04:03:40 PM »

RedPen, that is awesome. I remember enjoying the walks to school in the rain when I lived in the Bay Area. But biking, I never really did. Kudos to you!! Don't forget to add your miles to your sheet!!

With some extra PSI, a saddle adjustment, and a swift kick in the ass by falling so far behind the average, I had a pretty cool accomplishment today. I went a bit out of my way to the liquor store on the way home, didn't turn off the tracking, and made it back home 1 minute after my current speed record. Had I skipped the booze, I would have blown it away. So the working on the speed thing works...even on Mondays.

All that being said, I did want to take a moment to thank everyone who is participating. This challenge has become one of my favorite things to do, and you all keep me motivated to keep making it better. Also, a lot of the new people are really kicking ass, which is awesome. This wouldn't be possible without you. Well, it would, but it'd be super boring.

P.S. This morning I was pretty cold, and super-non-motivated (you'll see the extra .01 miles of deliberation where I contemplated turning around). I pulled over, took a look at the stats, and how bad ass you all were doing, and pushed on. Damn near froze my face off on the one giant hill (downhill in the mornings), stopped for a sip of delicious coffee, and within a half mile I was mentally face-punching myself for even thinking such non badass thoughts, let alone actually almost turning around. And of course I had the biking perma-grin.

Nancy

« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2014, 07:17:41 AM »
Way to perservere, Jordanread! I agree- this challenge is also one of my favorite things to do, and it makes biking seem like a team effort. I'm finally back to biking after 3 weeks. Biking in the rain today was perfect!

Edit: Man, three weeks off the bike, and I'm totally slow. Crazy!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 06:57:43 AM by Nancy »

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2014, 09:20:52 AM »
Agreed Redpen! Community can change your attitude, and attitude can change the weather :)

I am usually super stressed at this time of year - what with no sunlight, and Christmas etc.. but this year my mood is much better even though I am only getting out 2x/week at dawn or dusk. Fresh air and exercise (and a dose of overcoming challenge), can make up for the lack of sunlight or that really low noon sun that gives no warmth!

There is a winter solstice ride this weekend at the LBS, just need to find a babysitter... here's to almost longer days!

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2014, 06:02:43 PM »
A little late in the month I suppose, but I was going to be joining this and any future bike challenges.  My personal goal currently is to average 100mi a week, and upping that by about 20mi a month.  I'm hoping to ride STP (Seattle to Portland) next year and they recommend starting training in February.

One year ago I moved from a 30mi clown car commute to a 5mi radius of everything.  On January 1st my New Year's resolution was to bike every day to work.  I told myself that if I could make it through the winter I could make it year round.  Now it is December 22nd and I have only driven 4 times, and hope to lower that number next year.  Keeping track of mileage I show I have replaced 2200mi this year with bike commuting, and drove 4000mi by car, which should lower dramatically due to a happy life event.

So far this month I have ridden 245mi.  That includes two days of driving my car, and walking home from work twice, and to once, before finding the sliver of glass embedded in my rear tire.  My daily commute is just over 3mi each way, and sometimes I take a 7mi route home.

Starting Thursday I am on vacation for 11 days, and my goal is to ride at least 20mi a day, rain or shine.  Recently I purchased some Crud Roadrace Mk2s which have worked fabulously on my road bike to allow me to ride in the rain.  My commuter has fenders too, and knobby tires for the winter, which I will change back to slicks sometime in the spring.

jordanread

« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2014, 06:12:54 PM »
A little late in the month I suppose, but I was going to be joining this and any future bike challenges.  My personal goal currently is to average 100mi a week, and upping that by about 20mi a month.  I'm hoping to ride STP (Seattle to Portland) next year and they recommend starting training in February.

One year ago I moved from a 30mi clown car commute to a 5mi radius of everything.  On January 1st my New Year's resolution was to bike every day to work.  I told myself that if I could make it through the winter I could make it year round.  Now it is December 22nd and I have only driven 4 times, and hope to lower that number next year.  Keeping track of mileage I show I have replaced 2200mi this year with bike commuting, and drove 4000mi by car, which should lower dramatically due to a happy life event.

So far this month I have ridden 245mi.  That includes two days of driving my car, and walking home from work twice, and to once, before finding the sliver of glass embedded in my rear tire.  My daily commute is just over 3mi each way, and sometimes I take a 7mi route home.

Starting Thursday I am on vacation for 11 days, and my goal is to ride at least 20mi a day, rain or shine.  Recently I purchased some Crud Roadrace Mk2s which have worked fabulously on my road bike to allow me to ride in the rain.  My commuter has fenders too, and knobby tires for the winter, which I will change back to slicks sometime in the spring.
Welcome to the challenge. Looks like another new person who is going to be skewing the average up. Awesome! Just subscribe to this post. At the beginning of next month, a new post is created and linked here. Glad to have you with us! Happy cycling.

jordanread

« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2014, 08:54:27 AM »
Well, 'tis the season to be jolly, but also to force me into badassity. Both vehicles are out of commission, and I have to be in the office today. It's 26°F with a high winds warning of 40-60MPH gusts. No food to bring with, since our oven broke this weekend too. This is going to be the coolest story ever.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2014, 09:11:21 AM »
Man, I have lost some of my conditioning! Did two days of 20 miles or so. Barely made it back to where we're staying today. Glad I'm getting rides in on vacation, though, even with weather being pretty gloomy.

jordanread

« Reply #64 on: December 23, 2014, 09:20:03 AM »
Man, I have lost some of my conditioning! Did two days of 20 miles or so. Barely made it back to where we're staying today. Glad I'm getting rides in on vacation, though, even with weather being pretty gloomy.

How gloomy? Where are you these days?

I had to abort my ride, tow truck driver needs to meet me at my place. 3 miles in, and just getting warmed up, and I have to turn around.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #65 on: December 23, 2014, 12:12:27 PM »
After my announcement of joining the challenge yesterday I was getting ready for work and noticed now my front tire is flat :-(.  I was already running late so today has become another drive to work day :-(.  I always find those days more stressful, how do people drive to work every day?  At least right now the parking lot is nearly empty (2 days off each week for two weeks gets a lot of people using 6 days of vacation).  I'll have to spend some time tonight finding the leak, then finding what caused it, so I can ride in tomorrow.  I made it about 8 months before my first flat, and now I've had 4 in the last month.

Oh well, back to watching GCN videos on Youtube.

jordanread

« Reply #66 on: December 23, 2014, 03:35:52 PM »
Somewhere, buried 3-4 links away from a comment on the latest MMM article (It's Winter...Get Out and Enjoy it!), I found this little gem.

Joe Soucheray: The mind of the winter bicyclist

I'm going to print out the entire thing and put it on my fridge, but I'll post some excerpts here.

As a cyclist, he knew there was no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing. He received catalogs from outfits in Duluth and Maine and from the state of Washington. He had good clothes, that is to say, clothes were the least of his problem. He was warm enough, even in the wind.
[...]
He rode because he wanted to, because, despite what it must look like to a motorist, he felt unencumbered by convention. He was free of the obvious burdens, fuel costs, insurance, parking problems, trips to the body shop, frosted windows. But it was more than that. It gave him a claim on some deep primal ruggedness, in a world where that was increasingly tough to come by.
[...]
He went down. Hard. But he fell to the curbside and his shoulder took the brunt of the fall as he crashed into the frozen berm created by the plow. He got up and started riding again. That's what he did when he fell. He got up and started riding again. Once in a while, a driver might ask him if he was OK, and he'd say yes and he'd start riding again. Home was only a few more miles down the road.

He rode for another reason. It made him hate winter less. The motorist must think that he cursed his lot and was furious at the treachery — the plows had obscured the lane for bikes — but he sang to himself and took pleasure in the rising moon, in long peculiar shadows, in the yelp of leashed dogs. His senses were alive and he was a part of winter, like the moon, the shadow, the dog.

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #67 on: December 23, 2014, 05:33:54 PM »
I made it about 8 months before my first flat, and now I've had 4 in the last month.

Time for some kevlar tires?  I got some this summer after getting 3 flats in about 6 weeks and haven't had a single flat since!

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #68 on: December 23, 2014, 08:09:27 PM »
Yesterday on my ride home, I came up with the best line in response to concerns about safety of biking vs. cars:

"I've never had a bike shop ask if I wanted to be an organ donor"

I just have to share that one...

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #69 on: December 25, 2014, 11:12:45 PM »
Today I set out to do a half century, got to 26mi, feeling great, it's all downhill from there on out, then a sound from my rear end, look, tire is flat.  Tried to fix it, but the spare I put in, I think I pinched the inner tube while getting the tire back on, wasted my two co2 cartridges, and had to stand around with no cell reception until someone came by.  Luckily one of the workers for the state park drove by and helped.  Fit my bike in the back of his Prius and drove me home.  Once I got home I ran into the same problem with a second new spare, got my last inner tube out, and got it fixed right and practiced using my co2.  Turns out the co2 wasn't the problem, it was the huge gaping hole I managed to get in 3 tires, the original due to a tiny piece of glass that penetrated my tire and got wedged in, and the other two from trying to get the damn tire back on.

So I learned how not to change a spare and now understand the importance of stretching the inner tube prior to inserting into the tire.  Tomorrow I get to ride to the LBS and pick up a spare or two and a patch kit, out of patches.

MidwestBiker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2014, 06:29:48 PM »
Hello fellow December bikers! Minneapolis Ice Biker here. I really appreciate the encouragement shared on this forum. Winter biking is a lot of fun for me and it's great to read your biking stories.  Yesterday morning I rode in 4 inches of fresh powder before the automobile traffic packed it all down. The sound of the crunching snow, and the feel of the tires cutting through it was just awesome! Tomorrow will reveal what the traffic, plows, and salt have done to the roads. Sub-zero temps forecast for later this week. I'm ready!

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2014, 06:34:21 PM »
I rode my bicycle to the library and supermarket two days ago because it was 62 degrees F outside.  This winter cycling stuff is a lot easier than I thought it would be. :-P

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2014, 09:07:33 PM »
Since I'm on 11 days of staycation I have been finding excuses to ride places.  We had a holiday dinner yesterday and I forgot to give my brother his mail.  So today I road to the LBS, picked up some spares, and cleat covers, then road a total of 34 miles there, for a grand total of roughly 64 miles today, almost doubling my weekly total.  Between my brother and I are the West Hills that put 1200 ft of elevation gain to conquer, each way.

I was using Strava and Google maps (highly do NOT recommend Google maps, get to know the town and map out a much better ride beforehand usually), and going up the hill on a different road when I got to a crossroad and saw a couple people who had just got home.  I was asking them for directions and while they were giving them my phone died.  They ended up inviting me inside, giving me water, and recharging my phone to 35% and showing me the way home on their GPS.  I was nearly at the top of the hill, another half mile or less then it was all downhill.  Found out that Strava will pause your progress when the phone dies, so I got to keep all my 64mi of data!

Now I plan on doing just 20mi rides while temps get to mid twenties in preparation for the New Years ride with my bike club.

jordanread

« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2014, 04:58:53 AM »
Since I'm on 11 days of staycation I have been finding excuses to ride places.  We had a holiday dinner yesterday and I forgot to give my brother his mail.  So today I road to the LBS, picked up some spares, and cleat covers, then road a total of 34 miles there, for a grand total of roughly 64 miles today, almost doubling my weekly total.  Between my brother and I are the West Hills that put 1200 ft of elevation gain to conquer, each way.

I was using Strava and Google maps (highly do NOT recommend Google maps, get to know the town and map out a much better ride beforehand usually), and going up the hill on a different road when I got to a crossroad and saw a couple people who had just got home.  I was asking them for directions and while they were giving them my phone died.  They ended up inviting me inside, giving me water, and recharging my phone to 35% and showing me the way home on their GPS.  I was nearly at the top of the hill, another half mile or less then it was all downhill.  Found out that Strava will pause your progress when the phone dies, so I got to keep all my 64mi of data!

Now I plan on doing just 20mi rides while temps get to mid twenties in preparation for the New Years ride with my bike club.

I haven't had any issues w/ Google Maps. I think that since I use it and My Tracks, it learns my preferences. Sometimes it has taken me a strange route, so I'll try a different one next time, and the route it chooses for me is almost always faster, even if it is sometimes a bit longer.

I get to re-attack conditions similar to last month, but worse. -2°F and super dark. Due to the holidays, and a failure to plan ahead, both of my headlights lost their charge on the way in yesterday. I felt like a bike ninja, and determined that I might need a sword for situations like that. Anyway, I'm heading out in about 45 minutes. Right now, just doing some stretches and drinking some coffee. Got my shifters re-oiled last night, and they don't appear to be frozen this morning. Should be fun!!

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2014, 06:25:01 AM »
Google maps gives me a really convoluted route from my house to the city I work in which completely ignores the amazing concrete bikeway that runs alongside the freeway for about 15km. It's not a recent update issue because it was built about 5 years ago. I haven't ever taken their suggested route, but I wouldn't be surprised if it took me at least 3 hours instead of around the 2 that I can actually do it in.

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2014, 01:52:47 PM »
I find google maps works really well, and when it doesn't I have highlighted and reported the problem to them... Ie a bridge was out, or a new pedestrian overpass is open, or there is a pathway link at the end of that cul-de-sac. After a few iterations it's now very good for my immediate neighbourhood. In a new city, I would compare it to the strava heat maps though...

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #76 on: December 30, 2014, 08:56:54 PM »
I find google maps works really well, and when it doesn't I have highlighted and reported the problem to them... Ie a bridge was out, or a new pedestrian overpass is open, or there is a pathway link at the end of that cul-de-sac. After a few iterations it's now very good for my immediate neighbourhood. In a new city, I would compare it to the strava heat maps though...

That's an interesting point about using Strava heat maps.  I haven't signed up for premium yet, but have been debating on it since I have upped my cycling since meeting the cycling group.  It may be better if I was looking at the map, and a greater familiarity with the area.  There were times when it told me to turn on a street but I couldn't see where the street was, signs were missing, pointed the wrong way, or perhaps didn't exist.  I admit I was a little ill prepared for the ride since normally I would study the map first, and some alternate routes around it.  For me it seems like Google tries to take an ultra safe route, and/or a short route, but doesn't quite consider ease of riding.  Having me ride through stop sign infested back streets and crossing major roads with only stop signs on my cross street isn't the most pleasant route, I'd rather be on the main street with lights where I'm not stopping every other block even if it means I have to ride an extra mile or two.  One of my favorite routes isn't even suggested by Google, takes me over 1200ft of elevation, no stop signs, and straight onto the bridge.

I will try reporting problems in the future, hadn't thought of doing that, and I'll study the map out a bit more, I should be able to compare my experience with my GPS data, look over the map and find alternatives to the problem areas.  For driving my car Google Maps does tend to work fairly well, though knowledge of the area tends to trump it.

jordanread

« Reply #77 on: December 31, 2014, 07:14:29 AM »

That's an interesting point about using Strava heat maps.  I haven't signed up for premium yet, but have been debating on it since I have upped my cycling since meeting the cycling group.  It may be better if I was looking at the map, and a greater familiarity with the area.  There were times when it told me to turn on a street but I couldn't see where the street was, signs were missing, pointed the wrong way, or perhaps didn't exist.  I admit I was a little ill prepared for the ride since normally I would study the map first, and some alternate routes around it.  For me it seems like Google tries to take an ultra safe route, and/or a short route, but doesn't quite consider ease of riding.  Having me ride through stop sign infested back streets and crossing major roads with only stop signs on my cross street isn't the most pleasant route, I'd rather be on the main street with lights where I'm not stopping every other block even if it means I have to ride an extra mile or two.  One of my favorite routes isn't even suggested by Google, takes me over 1200ft of elevation, no stop signs, and straight onto the bridge.

I will try reporting problems in the future, hadn't thought of doing that, and I'll study the map out a bit more, I should be able to compare my experience with my GPS data, look over the map and find alternatives to the problem areas.  For driving my car Google Maps does tend to work fairly well, though knowledge of the area tends to trump it.
Yeah, just remember that cycling directions are still in beta. Over the last few months, I've noticed that there is an interesting balance between elevation gain and dedicated bike routes. For instance, maps has navigated me about two miles around a huge hill in the middle of one route, but on another instance, it send me up a slightly harder route since the street has dedicated bike lanes. The one thing I wish it did was route me around dead reds.

jordanread

« Reply #78 on: December 31, 2014, 02:15:57 PM »
Working on next month's spreadsheet now. Don't worry if you haven't finished putting in your December miles, since it will continue updating your historical data for about a week into January.

jordanread

« Reply #79 on: January 01, 2015, 11:02:16 AM »
Didn't forget about you, just running into a few issues with a couple of users. I'll get it sorted. Give me just a couple of hours.

jordanread

« Reply #80 on: January 01, 2015, 04:01:11 PM »
New challenge is up!!

January Cycling Challenge 2015