Author Topic: De-clutter challenge - 30 or 60 days  (Read 23647 times)

lexde

• Magnum Stache
Re: De-clutter challenge - 30 or 60 days
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2017, 12:46:29 PM »
I downloaded the eBay app on my phone and found out that I could pre-list items! So I have 9 listings scheduled to start on the 16th when I'm back from vacation so I can ship everything the following weekend! As I'm listing items I'm also bagging them up to ship so I don't have to deal with it later.

Steam cleaning a few more items before I photograph and list them. I can't wait to get rid of this stuff!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bella78

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2017, 07:02:10 AM »
Joining. My goal is July 3 to Aug 3.

1. Closet - I really need to go through all my clothes and get rid of anything I no longer wear.

2. Paper - I have a ton of mail and receipts that need to either be filed or shredded.  I have a bad habit of throwing stuff into drawers to be cleaned up later, but never seem to get to it.

3. Craft room - I need to get a shelf and some storage bins to organize my craft supplies, as I have a bunch of bags of fabric sitting in a pile on the floor.

Bart1ma3u5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2017, 09:56:24 AM »

I am in for this! I will have alot of work in front of me in the next year as my fiance and I hope to move into a van. It is about time we started trying to cut out as much as we can so it's not all sitting around the house still a month before we want to move out.

Goals for the next 30 days (deadline July 7):
1. Clean out car. Needs to be done badly, but I have been putting it off.
2. Sort through books and figure out what is worth selling vs donating and get rid of as much as possible. Done. Some are listed for sale, and there is a massive box to be donated.
3. Sort through movies same as above. Sold a few of them. The rest were not accepted for sale so have been moved to a donate pile.
4. Make a list of what furniture we don't need and can sell/donate now/what we should try to sell/get rid of closer to leaving.
5. Sort clothes to donate and setup a donate box in the closet so we can add to it as we find things we no longer need/wear. Clothes have been sorted through, and about 20 hangers emptied. No donate box as of yet.
6. Sell Wii and Games. Added and Done.

Goals for the next 60 days(deadline August 6):
1. Organize papers (what to keep what to recycle/shred). There is still a large stack of papers in our kitchen and a few stacks in our room that i have yet to go through. That being said I did go through one full stack last night, and the remainder just needs to be filed away now. I also installed a hanging basket in our kitchen with a slot for mail to be organized and a slot for mail that requires action.
2. Sell/donate/trash unused items taking up space throughout the house and garage. Started on this, 2 boxes full of random items removed from storage and disposed of.
3. Get rid of furniture items noted in step 4 above.
[/quote]

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2017, 01:17:02 AM »
Lately I have been a bit apathetic. So I need a challenge. I will be going on vacation in two weeks, so I will have to set my starting date at today, June 30th and end date at July 13th.

My first goals, which have been on my to-do list for quite some time, but have been ignored there:
- Post some of my wedding photo's on the Norwegian variant of Graig's list to sell my wedding dress. It was not a real wedding dress, but an evening gown. Only worn once.
- Take a picture of a bodice that my DH bought for me, but that I don't want to wear. Has been unused in my drawer for 10 years.
- Throw away an electric device in my bedroom that isn't in use. Problem is that I cannot deliver old electronics anywhere near where I live. I WILL find a solution in the next 2 weeks.
- Lower the price on a time trial cycle helmet that I already have out for sale. No reactions so far.

Things have happened. My unused bodice/corsett and  g-string have been for sale now for a week or so. I have described it in another thread, but something else happened today as well.
I had photographed the corset lying flat on the terrace. First thing that happened was that I got a text message from a person with a girl's name. Very misspelled (wrong autocorrection on phone) and not referring to any advertisement, asking me to put it on a doll so she would be able to see it better. After a while I figured out that it might be about this advertisement with corset. I sent a message back to double check that it was about the add and that I didn't have a doll, but would try to improvise some picture. She answered that I could perhaps put it on my body. I did so and surprisingly, I fit into it. I took some pictures with the auto-release on the camera, but it was on autofocus. I had to stand close to press the button and step back for the picture. So the pics were not very sharp. That actually fit me well. I cut out the part of the picture that covered the corset, put it on the add and sent the girl a message that is was there.
Next morning I got an email from a guy named Karim, who said he didn't want to buy anything, but wanted to compliment me on looking really good in the corset, showing nice curves. That I had a great looking body. As that was not my intention. I removed the picture van de add again.
This morning, on my way out of the door, I got a phone call from a Swedish man. He said he called the the add and that I has a very good price on this corset. He wanted to buy it, and transfer a much higher sum, so that it would cover sending. Fine for me. Then he asked if I had more underwear that I wanted to sell. I said "I have more underwear that I don't use, but that is all used". Then he said that he also bought used underwear. WHF? What is he intending to do with my used underwear??? I just said I didn't have anything more and ended the call. On my way to work I started imagining this guy running some trafficking business and needed to buy nice underwear for his girls, working as slaves.
At work I asked my male colleague who I share an office with that the hell a Swedish man could want to do with my used underwear? He laughed and said it was probably just a fetish. There is apparently a market for man who like to sniff used ladies undergarments. :-D He thought that was much more likely than my trafficking theory. I still think that is quite turning me off, but I don't it as much as my first theory. Of course I have no business with what he is going to do with it.
Now I might actually have another bodice left, only very little used. When I come home late on Monday, I will look for it and ask the guy if he wants to buy that as well. Should be worth a good sum.
Who had thought I could be earning money on selling used underwear???

I have taken pictures of my non-electronic wedding pictures. But I still don't want to sell it now a week before going on vacation.
The cycle helmet is still not sold, even with lower price. So I'll put it up for sale again after the summer, for a bargain price. And maybe also on a local facebook selling group (different sales channel).
Electronic waste will need to wait.

Bart1ma3u5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2017, 10:17:30 AM »

I am in for this! I will have alot of work in front of me in the next year as my fiance and I hope to move into a van. It is about time we started trying to cut out as much as we can so it's not all sitting around the house still a month before we want to move out.

Goals for the next 30 days (deadline July 7):
1. Clean out car. Needs to be done badly, but I have been putting it off.
2. Sort through books and figure out what is worth selling vs donating and get rid of as much as possible. Done. Some are listed for sale, and there is a massive box to be donated.
3. Sort through movies same as above. Sold a few of them. The rest were not accepted for sale so have been moved to a donate pile.
4. Make a list of what furniture we don't need and can sell/donate now/what we should try to sell/get rid of closer to leaving. Done. Nothing to go soon. Table, coffee table, bed, desk bookshelf, tv and tv stand to go before next spring.
5. Sort clothes to donate and setup a donate box in the closet so we can add to it as we find things we no longer need/wear. Clothes have been sorted through, and about 20 hangers emptied. No donate box as of yet.
6. Sell Wii and Games. Added and Done.

Goals for the next 60 days(deadline August 6):
1. Organize papers (what to keep what to recycle/shred). There is still a large stack of papers in our kitchen and a few stacks in our room that i have yet to go through. That being said I did go through one full stack last night, and the remainder just needs to be filed away now. I also installed a hanging basket in our kitchen with a slot for mail to be organized and a slot for mail that requires action.
2. Sell/donate/trash unused items taking up space throughout the house and garage. Started on this, 2 boxes full of random items removed from storage and disposed of.
3. Get rid of furniture items noted in step 4 above. All still needed for a few more months atleast... Hopefully I can start removing them soon.

AHHHH my 30 days ends today! I guess I need to quit procrastinating and clean out my car tonight!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2017, 07:55:31 PM »
Lately I have been a bit apathetic. So I need a challenge. I will be going on vacation in two weeks, so I will have to set my starting date at today, June 30th and end date at July 13th.

My first goals, which have been on my to-do list for quite some time, but have been ignored there:
- Post some of my wedding photo's on the Norwegian variant of Graig's list to sell my wedding dress. It was not a real wedding dress, but an evening gown. Only worn once.
- Take a picture of a bodice that my DH bought for me, but that I don't want to wear. Has been unused in my drawer for 10 years.
- Throw away an electric device in my bedroom that isn't in use. Problem is that I cannot deliver old electronics anywhere near where I live. I WILL find a solution in the next 2 weeks.
- Lower the price on a time trial cycle helmet that I already have out for sale. No reactions so far.

Things have happened. My unused bodice/corsett and  g-string have been for sale now for a week or so. I have described it in another thread, but something else happened today as well.
I had photographed the corset lying flat on the terrace. First thing that happened was that I got a text message from a person with a girl's name. Very misspelled (wrong autocorrection on phone) and not referring to any advertisement, asking me to put it on a doll so she would be able to see it better. After a while I figured out that it might be about this advertisement with corset. I sent a message back to double check that it was about the add and that I didn't have a doll, but would try to improvise some picture. She answered that I could perhaps put it on my body. I did so and surprisingly, I fit into it. I took some pictures with the auto-release on the camera, but it was on autofocus. I had to stand close to press the button and step back for the picture. So the pics were not very sharp. That actually fit me well. I cut out the part of the picture that covered the corset, put it on the add and sent the girl a message that is was there.
Next morning I got an email from a guy named Karim, who said he didn't want to buy anything, but wanted to compliment me on looking really good in the corset, showing nice curves. That I had a great looking body. As that was not my intention. I removed the picture van de add again.
This morning, on my way out of the door, I got a phone call from a Swedish man. He said he called the the add and that I has a very good price on this corset. He wanted to buy it, and transfer a much higher sum, so that it would cover sending. Fine for me. Then he asked if I had more underwear that I wanted to sell. I said "I have more underwear that I don't use, but that is all used". Then he said that he also bought used underwear. WHF? What is he intending to do with my used underwear??? I just said I didn't have anything more and ended the call. On my way to work I started imagining this guy running some trafficking business and needed to buy nice underwear for his girls, working as slaves.
At work I asked my male colleague who I share an office with that the hell a Swedish man could want to do with my used underwear? He laughed and said it was probably just a fetish. There is apparently a market for man who like to sniff used ladies undergarments. :-D He thought that was much more likely than my trafficking theory. I still think that is quite turning me off, but I don't it as much as my first theory. Of course I have no business with what he is going to do with it.
Now I might actually have another bodice left, only very little used. When I come home late on Monday, I will look for it and ask the guy if he wants to buy that as well. Should be worth a good sum.
Who had thought I could be earning money on selling used underwear???

I have taken pictures of my non-electronic wedding pictures. But I still don't want to sell it now a week before going on vacation.
The cycle helmet is still not sold, even with lower price. So I'll put it up for sale again after the summer, for a bargain price. And maybe also on a local facebook selling group (different sales channel).
Electronic waste will need to wait.

Hi Linda, be careful.  There is a scam for online "buyers" to send more than the item is worth, and ask for you to send the difference back.  The problem is, the too-big payment they make to you will bounce.  Usually they use a check or something like that.  Maybe in Norway you don't use checks any more?  Just be careful about giving him any cash back.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2017, 06:41:52 AM »
@Oneday. He didn't ask for sending anything in return. Checkes are totally out now. Today we use an electronic app where you can transfer via phone and receiver gets an sms that money is on it's way. Very good system for selling privately without cash.

Stupic bank that developed the app didn't make a sufficient backup system and the system is regurlarly down while everybody is relying on it.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2017, 09:45:58 PM »
Linda, that sounds frustrating!  Glad you are not falling prey to a scammer.

OK, I will join.  Dates will be July 8 - Aug 6.  Mr. O is out of town for a good chunk of that, so will not be a distraction.  Goal is to clear out at least 1 box of paper...even if some of the papers get re-classified & shuffled around a bit, would like to reduce/compress the volume get that one box out of the walkway.

July 8: Urrngh.  Do I have to? <pause for working> Found the owner's manual for my bike helmet...why is this a thing?  Gone.  <pause for working> Got through about 1/3 of the first box.  Good progress because they are recent papers.  I suspect the older papers will be more difficult.

Found a smaller box to put in papers for Mr. O.  Found pictures; those have a place (that's a whole nother project in itself). Shred bin is fairly full, will have to empty before I start tomorrow.  Have a small stack to scan, but leaving that for tomorrow as well.  Don't want to burn out on the first day!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2017, 12:50:17 AM »
Linda, that sounds frustrating!  Glad you are not falling prey to a scammer.

OK, I will join.  Dates will be July 8 - Aug 6.  Mr. O is out of town for a good chunk of that, so will not be a distraction.  Goal is to clear out at least 1 box of paper...even if some of the papers get re-classified & shuffled around a bit, would like to reduce/compress the volume get that one box out of the walkway.

July 8: Urrngh.  Do I have to? <pause for working> Found the owner's manual for my bike helmet...why is this a thing?  Gone.  <pause for working> Got through about 1/3 of the first box.  Good progress because they are recent papers.  I suspect the older papers will be more difficult.

Found a smaller box to put in papers for Mr. O.  Found pictures; those have a place (that's a whole nother project in itself). Shred bin is fairly full, will have to empty before I start tomorrow.  Have a small stack to scan, but leaving that for tomorrow as well.  Don't want to burn out on the first day!

"Tomorrow" ended up being a week later.  All but one of the pages I pulled out last Saturday, I scanned today.  I did not rename or file them, though.  The last page I will not have to scan if I can find Mr. O's password to his Vanguard account...I can just download that statement, in fact I will download all the statements since last fall.

I plan to make more progress tomorrow.  Mr. O is back from vacation either next Wed or next Fri, so I hope to reach a significant milestone by then.  Progress will slow significantly once he is back in the house if history is any indication.

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2017, 12:44:35 PM »
Heaved another bag of clothes in the donation bin. 

I am finally at the point where all my clothes fit into my closet and dresser!  (With the exception of some winter garb, which is now stored away.)

There has never before been a point in my adult life when I didn't have a giant pile of clothing on the bedroom floor. It just took up so much space. And now I am free of it!  This is amazing.

With fewer things, it's now easier to identify those that don't belong. Like the "husband pillow" (pillow with arms, used for sitting up in bed) that I haven't used in years because we have so many other pillows. It's just been sitting in the dump on my floor all this time.

I also weeded some DVDs. Unfortunately Amazon doesn't let regular folks sell used DVDs anymore, and these weren't worth much anyway. So I put them in our neighborhood book-share thingie. They disappeared right away, hopefully to a good home. 

Next stop is the study.  The most crammed, dysfunctional space in our apartment. A dread realm of "miscellaneous papers" and desk drawers crammed with old cell phones and old pay stubs and wires and gadgets and boxes and shelves of VHS tapes. This is supposed to be our main workspace, and it needs a total overhaul.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 12:46:58 PM by marble_faun »

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2017, 03:07:37 PM »
Heaved another bag of clothes in the donation bin. 

I am finally at the point where all my clothes fit into my closet and dresser!  (With the exception of some winter garb, which is now stored away.)

There has never before been a point in my adult life when I didn't have a giant pile of clothing on the bedroom floor. It just took up so much space. And now I am free of it!  This is amazing.

With fewer things, it's now easier to identify those that don't belong. Like the "husband pillow" (pillow with arms, used for sitting up in bed) that I haven't used in years because we have so many other pillows. It's just been sitting in the dump on my floor all this time.

I also weeded some DVDs. Unfortunately Amazon doesn't let regular folks sell used DVDs anymore, and these weren't worth much anyway. So I put them in our neighborhood book-share thingie. They disappeared right away, hopefully to a good home. 

Next stop is the study.  The most crammed, dysfunctional space in our apartment. A dread realm of "miscellaneous papers" and desk drawers crammed with old cell phones and old pay stubs and wires and gadgets and boxes and shelves of VHS tapes. This is supposed to be our main workspace, and it needs a total overhaul.

marble_faun, that *is* amazing; YOU are amazing!  Now you are free to join me and others on this thread tackling the office mess.

FRT, I do not have a staple puller.  For a while I was using my fingernails, but that was painful & causing them to break & split.  So finally I figured out I can use a seam ripper to pry up the two prongs on the back, then flip the paper over & use a pair of needle nose pliers to pry out the staple.  Action shot below (redacted).  I feel badass every time I remove a staple this way because 1) I didn't have to bring an additional item into my house, 2) I didn't have to spend any money and 3) mostly because I thought of it myself ;)

edited for grammar & spelling
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 01:12:06 AM by oneday »

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2017, 04:00:42 PM »
marble_faun, that *is* amazing; YOU are amazing!  Now you are free to join me and others on this thread tackling the office mess.

Thanks!  The office is going to be a weekend-long, two-person job, unfortunately. But I was motivated to weed some books instead this afternoon. My book problem is almost as bad as my clothing problem -- stacks and stacks everywhere, piled on the floor and covering all surfaces in the living room. As with the clothes, I know in my heart of hearts that I won't be using most of them again.

Last fall I sold a bunch of books on Amazon and made a few hundred bucks. But Amazon has since started charging sellers way more fees, and for most books, it just isn't worth it anymore. I'd rather give the books away to my neighbors than go through the trouble of packaging them and mailing them for pennies.

Either way: more objects eradicated from my apartment!  This is good.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2017, 05:16:05 PM »
Today I made good progress and am reluctantly stopping.  The recycle bin is full.

Made it through another 1/3 of the first box.  I have hit my stride or found a method that works for me finally.  About 5% of the pages I keep in either a semi-permanent paper copy or in the "to be shred Jan 2018" or "to be shred Jan 2019" files.  Next, I have some pages I want to keep truly permanently and those I scan.  After scanning, I shred.  All other pages are shred, so I don't have to decide if they need to be shred.  I think that removing that last decision, as simple as it seems, is really taking a lot of the dread out of this task.

5 shred bins full out the door today!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 01:09:40 AM by oneday »

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2017, 11:17:16 PM »
Another good day of progress.  Made it most of the way through the last 1/3 of the first box.  Have a small pile to scan, but it's late so I will do that next time.  Have about 1/2 a shred bin full.  I'm not quite sure how I get different amounts of waste from approximately the same starting volume.

Found some interesting things today.  The instructions for the camp stove which Mr. O has with him in the wilderness right now.  I guess I'll hang on to that long enough to see if Mr. O thinks it would be useful.  By the time either of us uses it again, he will not remember the things he learned about it on this trip, is my guess.

Also found the owner's manual to a 1983 BMW 320i.  Neither of us has ever owned that car, so not sure how/where we got it, but I'm adding it to the pile to sell.

This section of the box had a lot of greeting cards, many of them from coworkers.  I will scan some of them.  Others are undated, so I'll take them to work to see if I can figure out dates from emails before scanning.

It's nice to have gotten rid of that box, but there are still 3 left.  Hopefully by Aug 6 it will all fit in the file cabinet.  I have one drawer empty, so I have to wait and see.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2017, 05:38:31 AM »
1) Sell DVD's - DONE
2) Give away/donate books - DONE
3) Go through and donate CD's - DONE
4) Clean out car - DONE
5) Filing Cabinet - discard/digitize to minimize physical records - ON HOLD - My laptop is misbehaving, and I've been forbidden by my IT boyfriend from using it until he can wipe everything and reinstall the operating system.  At least we were able to get the files I had already scanned onto my backup drive before the ban.
6) Books - do a second pass of discards due to insufficient space at the new place. - DONE

Computer problems are holding me up on sorting the files, but hopefully that will be resolved soon - possibly not in my 60 days, though :(  I did get a few more books, and some clothes and duplicate kitchen implements out and donated, so that's something.  I still need to come up with my next de-clutter project, until my computer is back online.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2017, 01:52:36 PM »
@Linda - I was immediately imagining all sorts of things when you said you modeled the corset and had a couple of guys calling. Whatever you do, play it safe and make sure no one has access to your address.
Let's hope he's just a harmless guy with a Fetish and you made a little extra money on your undies:)

Update: tackled some of the paper tiger - slow progress, but nevertheless progress.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2017, 12:09:07 AM »
Raenia, don't be discouraged!  I'm sure you will come up with something.  And even if not, you have already made a ton of progress.

Rosy, way to go!  Hopefully you are building some momentum.

I did not do much today.  I dated 9/10 greeting cards from yesterday and will have to ask my cousin for the date on the last one. For some reason I did not have much motivation at work or at home today, so we'll see how tomorrow shakes out.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2017, 01:41:43 PM »
1. Our business has area needs to be cleaned and rearranged to accommodate our expansion more efficiently. 20 foot by 24 foot space. One quarter done.

2. Finish house repairs. Our ceiling is just over half finished; the rest is bare drywall still. We DIY replaced it after a portion fell. The stuff to finish this is glomming up our basement. Stretch goal: finish electrical outlet update.The ceiling is done except for the room edges that require more time.

3. Paint inside bathroom cabinets and stain/seal new cabinet doors. The thing I didn't finish from the last challenge. :-)One of two done.

4. A single pass of decluttering/organizing/cleaning through each room (8 total). Four done.

5. Get all the paper back under control. This is a constant battle!

6. Outdoors: our lawn is a mess and parts are extremely steep and dangerous to mow. I have a list of sub goals for this:
Longest steep hillside: seed with white clover. If we can get it to take over, it's less than 8 inches and we don't have to mow. I ordered the seed. $21.25 for enough to cover. Done until late August (need to delay to time planting correctly).
Steep spot above mailbox: flower bed consisting of some accents surrounded by red sedum. Done.
Smallest but steepest spot: flower bed of sedum. Done.
Right of door: currently houses our package receiving box for our business. Site needs to be leveled and have pavers put down. I will need to build a platform as there is a 12 inch drop over 6 feet. Done.
Left of door: I removed the dead evergreens left by the previous owners. Convert this to a flower bed with perennials. This is a 30 foot long space. Done.
Blueberries: weed and surround with the lawn edging we got for free.Weeded.
West side of business building: currently an overgrown mess with some red raspberries. Need to fill in the holes. Stake raspberries (neglected right now). Weeds cleaned out around the raspberries. Just need to stake them to be done with this area.

Butterfly garden (kids choice) on east side of outbuilding. Done.
Clean out cars.
Polish car headlights. One done and it made an amazing difference in night driving.Done.
Replace/repair dog fence. While weed eating, I discovered that the current wooden fence is broken in several spots. It has to be fixed soon.Done.

Clean and declutter the basement. Only about one quarter done with it.

Lost my momentum with a family emergency. Not sure if we'll get the ceiling done by our target. Or the clean-up. I am going to be spending quite a bit of time helping my parents with their place for awhile. Given that, I don't see how I can get this finished but we'll do what we can. Maybe a big push when we get back from our next round of helping at their place? It's discouraging but life happens...

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2017, 08:00:26 AM »
Okay, joining because I've got some clutter to deal with and I keep procrastinating. Dates will be 7/20-8/20.

1. Clean out and organize my bedroom closet. It's a mess right now, but it's tiny so it should be quick if I can make myself get started. Also going to include a pass through my chest of drawers, which should also be NBD--only two drawers really need attention. I want to knock this stuff out this weekend.

2. Clean out and organize the White Whale of our house, the coat closet/overflow closet/pile of oh-crap-company's-coming-throw-it-in-shut-the-door-and-pretend-it's-not-there. This will be tougher because it also has some of my boyfriend's stuff, and he's a packrat. I might end up needing to ask him to build some shelving to make any organization in here sustainable.

3a. Two humans, only one of whom cooks, should not have already filled up all of the cabinet space in our giant kitchen. Purge ruthlessly, especially because I'm going to keep getting stuff from my grandma since she just moved into assisted living.
3b. Catalog all of the food in the pantry and freezer, and make a plan for using up the weird stuff. Random can of black olives, why did my boyfriend buy you? What do you even do with canned black olives?

4. Get bags of donations from 1-3a to Goodwill. I have a horrible habit of getting everything bagged and into the back of my car, then driving it around for six months.

5. Bonus round: finally clean out all of the papers and miscellaneous crap my mom's been bugging me to get out of the crawl space in her house for years. Most of it's from like...middle school, and I'm 29. I'm planning a trip home next weekend so will start on it then.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 08:06:36 AM by fluffmuffin »

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2017, 10:01:37 AM »
We just finished our move and today is our final day of cutting open boxes and unpacking. We've already filled a large box with items we'd like to donate/sell. I think it's a bit easier to identify clutter once it's in a heavy box and you have to remove the items one at a time and think "we decided to keep this?!" Yesterday we noticed we have an entire bookshelf filled with music CDs. They spent the entirety of our last move hidden behind a row of DVDs and were never listened to. We're going to cull our DVD collection as well, but DW insists we watch it before chucking it.  This weekend we're debating whether or not we need to buy a third desk. The last couple years we've been using a folding table in lieu of one.  It feels weird trying to pare down our possessions while thinking about adding a piece of furniture. Thankfully it won't have to be a big one - just enough for a laptop and some papers.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2017, 11:39:51 AM »
FM: my DH buys back olives to put on his side of a pizza.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2017, 12:38:03 PM »
FM: our family likes black olives just by themselves, or with like a cheese & crackers plate, or in green salad.

Posting for accountability...I *will* work on the scanning project while Mr. O is off taking his brother to the airport.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2017, 03:37:27 PM »
2 weeks to go....tick tock.... We're working on the ceiling. A major pile of up cycling items for the kids' science camp is finally leaving. It feels like we're making progress except it's stuff that wouldn't have been kept except for the camp. We have one week of evenings only, one half weekend, and 4 days of me being off work. A challenge!

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2017, 06:27:28 PM »
Thanks for the tips on the olives! We'll see what I come up with haha.

Made zero progress on decluttering this weekend. Ended up having to go to a memorial service all day for my great aunt. Came home to an infestation of houseflies so processed a ton of fruit and produce that was sitting on the counter. Scrubbed everything. Killed 15 flies so far. So grossed out.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2017, 07:02:21 PM »
I actually re-stumbled upon http://flylady.net/ in the midst of this decluttering challenge and am happy to have some structure back in my housekeeping routine. I've listed 25 items on eBay, thrown out tons of junk and donated a bunch of items. With the babysteps there, I'm starting to get my house back on track and have some sense of control in my life again. I know that sounds dramatic, but I've had a very hard time with work/life balance lately and just having one thing to do, and then adding on from there to form a routine (slowly) is keeping me sane.

I've cleaned out my bedroom nightstand, closet, and the desk in my office. I'm still working on the rest of the house, but with this thread giving me the kick in the pants I needed to get started I'm happy to report that progress is being made!

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2017, 09:29:17 PM »
I came home from a few days out of town to find that my husband had done something amazing.

He replaced a huge cabinet filled with various old video game consoles and cartridges with a "Raspberry Pi" (tiny computer thing).  Somehow we can still play all the games through the Raspberry Pi.  The actual equipment can be stowed away, kept for old time's sake while no longer taking up space in our main living area. 

I don't really know how it all works, but I like it.

Next he needs to rip the rest of his music CD's so we can store those away as well. This will be a considerable project. Right now a big CD rack takes up almost a whole wall.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2017, 10:36:56 PM »
So happy to see others are still at it, even if not making all the progress.

I scanned most of the greeting cards & photos I found in my last session of work while Mr. O was away earlier today.  Then had to bug out to make an appointment on time and run a ton of errands.  Finished the last 3 papers just now when we got back. 

I won't have any time tomorrow, but plan to work on it again on Tuesday...cracking open the 2nd of 4 boxes to see what is hidden in there.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2017, 01:45:28 PM »
@oneday - I'm not doing so hot myself, but it helps coming here and finding motivation to keep going. Working on the next big stack of papers - sorting, filing and thrashing. It's depressing how slowly my paper organization has progressed. Progress nonetheless.

Tackling the bathroom today. Under the sink storage is a black hole and the medicine cabinet is overdue for a complete do-over.

@ Fuffmuffin - welcome to the challenge:)
About the olives - yup Mr. R. uses them when he makes veggie pizza. I'm not a fan, but they do make a nice addition to an Italian pasta salad or a Greek salad with feta chunks.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #78 on: July 26, 2017, 06:00:17 PM »
Today I sold an extra monitor on OfferUp after listing it over a month ago. I took a pretty heavy loss on it sadly, but I wanted it gone and the $75 in my pocket now is better than the $90 I could have eventually gotten for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #79 on: July 26, 2017, 08:17:36 PM »
Posting again for accountability.  Had said I would work on this again on Tuesday, but that didn't happen.  Went for a job and I was wiped out.  So today.  I will edit this post when done.

Edit: I did something.  Happily, box#2 was a) smaller than the others and b) mostly organized.

Turns out this is the box in which I had stowed the 3 binders full of paper from the real estate purchase X years ago.  Had to punch holes in several dozen pages & add in, but that was all it was waiting for...all these years!  Took 10 minutes.  Later I found several more pages, so had to drag the binders out from where they now live, but it was easy!  And that's the point.

The place where the binders live had some filing supplies, so moved some to the filing cabinet & the rest to the donate box, so that's a little bit of bonus decluttering, outside the scope of my challenge.

I have about a 1/2" stack to scan/shred; that I'll do tomorrow.  I have about a 1/2" stack to shred, also tomorrow.  The shred bin is full of non-shred pages and I'll have to take that down first.  The box itself is now the new donation box with some of those filing supplies already in it.  Then there is a stack of about 3" that I'll need to go through, but I've done enough for one day.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 12:44:25 AM by oneday »

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2017, 02:00:58 PM »
Way to go with circling back around and crossing those things off, oneday! Paper is the devil.

Okay, joining because I've got some clutter to deal with and I keep procrastinating. Dates will be 7/20-8/20.

1. Clean out and organize my bedroom closet. It's a mess right now, but it's tiny so it should be quick if I can make myself get started. Also going to include a pass through my chest of drawers, which should also be NBD--only two drawers really need attention. I want to knock this stuff out this weekend. Done! Unexpectedly had a free afternoon at home and knocked this out in an hour. My closet looks SO much better, and I can close my workout gear drawer without having to cram all the crap spilling out back in. Mission accomplished.

2. Clean out and organize the White Whale of our house, the coat closet/overflow closet/pile of oh-crap-company's-coming-throw-it-in-shut-the-door-and-pretend-it's-not-there. This will be tougher because it also has some of my boyfriend's stuff, and he's a packrat. I might end up needing to ask him to build some shelving to make any organization in here sustainable.

3a. Two humans, only one of whom cooks, should not have already filled up all of the cabinet space in our giant kitchen. Purge ruthlessly, especially because I'm going to keep getting stuff from my grandma since she just moved into assisted living.
3b. Catalog all of the food in the pantry and freezer, and make a plan for using up the weird stuff. Random can of black olives, why did my boyfriend buy you? What do you even do with canned black olives? I have high hopes to get this done this weekend. My boyfriend just left for a bachelor weekend, so I have free rein to eat weird shit that is 85% miscellaneous vegetables, 10% leftover bits of lentils, and 5% quinoa until Sunday night.

4. Get bags of donations from 1-3a to Goodwill. I have a horrible habit of getting everything bagged and into the back of my car, then driving it around for six months.

5. Bonus round: finally clean out all of the papers and miscellaneous crap my mom's been bugging me to get out of the crawl space in her house for years. Most of it's from like...middle school, and I'm 29. I'm planning a trip home next weekend so will start on it then. NVM, not able to get home in the near future so this may not happen anytime soon.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2017, 06:39:04 PM »
fluffmuffin, thanks for the encouragement!  You are making good progress too...I look forward to hearing about the weird & wonderful things you make from the food stash.

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2017, 02:50:32 PM »
Amazing what you can get done in an unplanned three-day weekend--the dog was super-sick on Thursday so I took a half day to sit with her, then she kept me up all of Thursday night crying so I took a mental health day on Friday. She's doing fine now and I crossed off like...three weekend's worth of stuff.

1. Clean out and organize my bedroom closet. It's a mess right now, but it's tiny so it should be quick if I can make myself get started. Also going to include a pass through my chest of drawers, which should also be NBD--only two drawers really need attention. I want to knock this stuff out this weekend. Done! Unexpectedly had a free afternoon at home and knocked this out in an hour. My closet looks SO much better, and I can close my workout gear drawer without having to cram all the crap spilling out back in. Mission accomplished.

2. Clean out and organize the White Whale of our house, the coat closet/overflow closet/pile of oh-crap-company's-coming-throw-it-in-shut-the-door-and-pretend-it's-not-there. This will be tougher because it also has some of my boyfriend's stuff, and he's a packrat. I might end up needing to ask him to build some shelving to make any organization in here sustainable. Done as much as I can without my boyfriend's input and/or shelving. But you can see the floor! We'll see if I can convince the BF to do anything about his giant duffel full of clothes he never wears. My guess is no, but I'm holding off crossing this one out until I've definitively failed.

3a. Two humans, only one of whom cooks, should not have already filled up all of the cabinet space in our giant kitchen. Purge ruthlessly, especially because I'm going to keep getting stuff from my grandma since she just moved into assisted living. Done.
3b. Catalog all of the food in the pantry and freezer, and make a plan for using up the weird stuff. Random can of black olives, why did my boyfriend buy you? What do you even do with canned black olives? I have high hopes to get this done this weekend. My boyfriend just left for a bachelor weekend, so I have free rein to eat weird shit that is 85% miscellaneous vegetables, 10% leftover bits of lentils, and 5% quinoa until Sunday night. Delayed...had giant lunch with my mom today and have leftovers for dinner, plus a lot of perishables in the fridge that need to get cooked before tackling the freezer and pantry.

4. Get bags of donations from 1-3a to Goodwill. I have a horrible habit of getting everything bagged and into the back of my car, then driving it around for six months. DONE! Proudest of this one.

5. Bonus round: finally clean out all of the papers and miscellaneous crap my mom's been bugging me to get out of the crawl space in her house for years. Most of it's from like...middle school, and I'm 29. I'm planning a trip home next weekend so will start on it then. NVM, not able to get home in the near future so this may not happen anytime soon.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #83 on: July 29, 2017, 05:42:15 PM »
Glad your dog is feeling better fluffmuffin.

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #84 on: July 29, 2017, 07:54:03 PM »
A great day on the declutter front!

We decided to attack the kitchen -- a room that includes a huge storage rack, packed with boxes, at least one of which my husband had left unopened since high school (!!!).

The high school box contained a number of interesting little mementos, including rune stones, which apparently my husband was obsessed with as a teenager (awwww!). We kept most of this box but were able to dispose of some junk objects.

We sorted our craft/art supplies and got rid of a bunch of dried-out markers, paints, and pens.  We were able to reorganize all of these supplies so that they are more usable and not just heaped on top of each other in giant bins.

We had two first aid kits!  These were combined into one.

De-cluttering the rest of the kitchen cabinets involved realizing that I have upgraded a lot of my things over the last 10 years and had been storing the old ones merely out of inertia.  There were also gift objects that I needed to give myself permission to do away with. 

This stuff is going away:

• metal baking pans. I prefer pyrex and there isn't much reason to keep both.
  • used table cloths, received as gifts. but they don't match anything and don't fit our table.
  • cold brew coffee drip thing -- I drink espresso now and haven't used this in a decade.
  • a vintage ceramic chip & dip set. I used to LOVE this thing, but it's a bit awkward to use, and I find myself more often using other ceramics that we've received. There's no use in keeping all of them around.
  • an appliance someone gave us, that we've never used: now for sale on Craigslist!
  • a giant old pot that we probably got at a yard sale years ago. we have tons of giant pots and don't need all of them.

All in all we threw out about a trash bag's worth of stuff and are giving away a couple boxes' worth.  Ahhh... it feels good to shed these things.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #85 on: July 31, 2017, 08:43:37 AM »
I cleared out some junk that was bothering me and it feels great! My friend came over and helped me make some of the decisions I get stuck on. I put the stuff out on the curb and by morning it was pretty picked over, so I'm sure some people went home happy. Now I have a usable desk space and got rid of all the excess papers that were taking up space in my house and head. Final part of the task is to bring the sensitive docs to work to shred. At this point, I think my clothes are weeded down to a good level, my papers are down to the essentials but I'd like to find a better storage box for them, and I want to go through my bookshelves and weed out some extras there. Progress feels good!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #86 on: July 31, 2017, 02:14:11 PM »
Well I did something today.  Work has been spilling over into all my free time (can you say Friday night!!!), so I am glad to get some progress, even if small.

After I posted last Thursday, I shred everything I found from Wed that needed shredding.  Emptied the bin in to a larger bag to take down to the recycle dumpster, but it languished in my trunk since then.  Today I took a few minutes on my way to the office to stop by the recycle dumpster and dump it.  Whew!  Glad to get that out.

Next task is to scan all the items I found that Wed that need scanning.  Not likely to have time today, as it is the month deadline for my department & we will probably be here late again :(  Maybe Tuesday.

Edit: Sunday is the last day of this challenge for me, and I will not have made it through all 4 boxes, but I'll try to get through this second box.  I will be constrained a bit because I am going out of town later next week, so need to take some time to prepare for that.

I plan to start a new challenge Aug 19-Sep 17 for whatever is left over.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 02:16:39 PM by oneday »

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: August 02, 2017, 06:53:59 AM »
We have to go install handrails at my parents house before my dad can come home from the hospital. And we have some gardening/yard work to do for them as well. I'm giving ourselves an extension until Labor Day.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #88 on: August 02, 2017, 01:25:19 PM »
Mongoose - I second that (e)motion:) - my new and final deadline is the weekend after Labor Day for the following tasks:

1. Finish organizing the study - one cabinet, one bookshelf and five boxes of paper.
2. Tackle - medicine cabinet and under sink storage in the bathroom.
3. Go through my closet once more.
4. Bedroom - one large cabinet - sort, organize, trash, five large drawers - sort, organize, trash.

Oneday - you are crushing it!!!

Amazing results everyone - good going!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #89 on: August 02, 2017, 11:35:07 PM »
Mongoose-of-the-perpetual-to-do-list...your extension is more than warranted!!!

Rosy!  5 boxes of paper?  Go, go go! *\o/*

I am back at it, whizzing through this current box.  It helps that many of the papers are soooooo old, I can see no reason to keep them.  Just found a cache of Mr. O's papers dating back to last century, re-discovered that in March 2008 was when I fell downhill skiiing and got a concussion*, (also the first, hopefully last, time rode in an ambulance as a patient), and came upon a small x-ray of my impacted wisdom tooth!  I may scan that for posterity, it makes me smile. :) Also found a CD which I belive contains a scan of the back of my eyeball from probably 4 years ago.  Why???

I have more pages than I think my shredder can handle, so will take them to work & put in the shred box there.

Also, I am falling in love with my scanner (HP OfficeJet 4650).  It has an ADF and when you put a page in all the way, there is a pleasant, friendly chime.  A different, but also pleasant chime sounds when the scan is complete.

The shredding is all that's left of box#2, woo hoo!

*That cost upwards of $6,000!!!

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #90 on: August 03, 2017, 08:07:04 AM »
Yay company! I was feeling like such a slacker for pushing the deadline back. We've been out of town a lot plus helping family. I'm just dreaming of some lovely (and perhaps fictional day) when my house isn't a cluttered, half-finished mess.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #91 on: August 06, 2017, 01:51:15 PM »
I failed my challenge. I just came back from vacation yesterday. Before my trip, I didn't manage to get rid of my bodice, I didn't take good pictures of my wedding dress and I think I still have the electrical device. I'll try to do something about it this week.

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #92 on: August 06, 2017, 06:04:47 PM »
Didn't get much done this week. Finished off some bits and pieces from the pantry and freezer--bye lentils and Costco meatballs. I did get everything catalogued though and the good news is that it isn't as bad as I thought. Hooray for meal planning!

Also put away like two items that have been unnecessarily cluttering up two biggish spaces.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #93 on: August 06, 2017, 09:25:09 PM »
Well today was the final day of my first challenge this summer.  I got through 2 of the 4 boxes in a month...not too bad.  I finished it off today by taking the shred bin down & emptying it into the recycle dumpster.  All those pages are officially gone!

Next challenge period will be Aug 19-Sep 17.  I think this will be harder as Mr. O will be around the house all of this time.  I don't know why I find it harder to focus on chores when he it in the house, but I do, so...

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #94 on: August 07, 2017, 07:36:03 AM »
Next challenge period will be Aug 19-Sep 17.  I think this will be harder as Mr. O will be around the house all of this time.  I don't know why I find it harder to focus on chores when he it in the house, but I do, so...

Totally agree! It was my boyfriend's birthday this weekend so we were running around more than we normally would have, but I got SO much done last weekend when he was out of town. This weekend, haha, nope.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #95 on: August 07, 2017, 12:59:30 PM »
I just did another form of decluttering/cleaning. I cleaned out the drain under the shower and removed what was probably 7 years of long hair and drab. And we have only lived there for two years. What a filthy job.
But now the water should run away at a much faster tempo than it did this morning.

Normally I don't notice that it runs slowly, as I always open the shower as little as I can and turn off the shower while I'm soaping in my hair. But this morning, first shower after summer vacation, I was out of my normal routines and opened the shower far and kept it open all the time. Then I noticed it started to flow over the edge.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 04:20:36 AM by Linda_Norway »

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #96 on: August 07, 2017, 05:42:45 PM »
Linda, I have had to do that and that is an awful job.  You deserve a pat on the back!

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #97 on: August 13, 2017, 01:54:19 PM »
spent today decluttering because my office is small and has gotten out of hand. 4 big bags to go out the door:))

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #98 on: August 13, 2017, 02:38:49 PM »
@Cassie - can you come over and provide some motivation for my paper tiger to leave the premises indefinitely?:)
I'll be happy to offer your beverage of choice ...

RNwastash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #99 on: August 13, 2017, 02:45:35 PM »
Joining!! Start date today, August 13- Sept 13.  My Goals:
1. Clean my closet, get rid of clothes in corner.
2. Work on my late daughter's room.  She passed away almost 1 year ago, and I have not cleaned it out.  I want to make it into a beautiful guest room for my parents and visitors when they come over.
3.  Declutter my living and dining spaces.  Get rid of bookcase in corner.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!