Author Topic: Daily Yoga Challenge in January  (Read 13095 times)

mrsggrowsveg

Daily Yoga Challenge in January
« on: December 19, 2013, 10:53:06 AM »
I am committing myself to daily yoga in the month of January.  I plan to attend a Bikram class once a week and do home practice with youtube videos or on my own.  Would anyone like to join me?  Also does anyone have a great yoga resource to share?

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
Re: Daily Yoga Challenge in January
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 03:53:13 PM »
Apparently american netflix has good yoga videos! And public libraries often have good dvds.

Could I join this challenge, but make my minimum 10 minutes per day? I have to start small :)

Ms Betterhome

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 04:44:08 PM »
Sounds great! I go to a Jivamukti class twice a week, but would love to get back in the habit of a daily practice. I'm going to set 10 minutes of yoga and 6 minutes of meditation as my daily minimum.

mrfilthyrich

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 06:41:12 PM »
I'm in as well, and think I will only commit to 10 minutes a day as I want to focus my exercise on lifting.

mrsggrowsveg

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 07:20:40 AM »
10 minutes is fine! I do not think I can commit to much more than that.  I will have to check out some Netflix yoga

Cincy Stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 09:53:06 AM »
I'm in as well... Baby steps; hopefully if I can do 10 min/day in January it'll stick!

ScienceSexSavings

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 01:25:29 PM »
In! This is perfect for my lazy, scoliosis-suffering ass.

Nancy

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 08:24:34 PM »
I'm in for at least ten minutes a day. Excellent challenge!

Stacey

• Stubble
    • Bottling Moonlight
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 08:33:01 PM »
I'm in, as well!  Great idea.  I cannot vouch for the quality, but I came across the website doyogawithme.com when looking for online (and free) yoga videos.  Once I check it out, I'll let you know if it's worth looking into further.

jenstill

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 08:38:38 PM »
I'm in too! Now I've gotten into the groove of my new job, I've been trying to figure a way to work exercise into my work day. I guess it should've been obvious to me, but it wasn't. This should be the perfect activity while in between client calls; I usually have about 10 - 15 mins to kill after each. Thanks for the perfect challenge!

lsaurus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 08:05:29 PM »
I'm in! Check out the Yoga with Janet Stone app if you have an iPhone. It has a daily practice series that is pretty fantastic.

Life in Balance

• Bristles
  • FIREd in 2019
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2013, 07:48:39 AM »
Count me in as well, I'd love to establish a daily practice.  And 10 minutes seems doable.  I know that I will feel sooooo much better. 

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2013, 01:06:33 PM »
I'm in! I'll try to do a yoga download podcast every day.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2013, 04:04:26 PM »
I'll join you as well.  I can get to formal classes at least twice per week, but will commit to the 10 minutes at home each day as a centering time as well.  Good idea!

FIRE Realtor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Frugal Vegan Mom
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2013, 12:58:30 PM »
I'm in too!  Have been meaning to do this for awhile, because I want to do some extra core strengthening and also work on doing a headstand.

anastrophe

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2013, 01:16:40 PM »
I think I should join this...I've been going to class once or twice a week for the last couple months and have been thinking about cutting back due to cost (with a class card, studios in my town are minimum $12/class) or switching to less often (twice a month?) and want to keep up my motivation.

Those of you who practice at home already, how do you do it? I have trouble focusing and deciding which poses to do in what order. It just doesn't feel as natural as it does in class when I have somebody telling me what to do and making adjustments...

jrs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2013, 03:14:10 PM »
I'm in!  with one clarification: I'll be doing a 20-25 minute Lastics streatching routine rather than Yoga. 

I actually started my daily routine two days ago in preperation for an "every day" goal in January.  Just want to get fimiliar with the program again before I start the challenge for real!  Whoo!

Ms Betterhome

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2013, 03:39:18 PM »
Anastrophi, if I'm not following along with a DVD or podcast, I generally do the Jivamukti 'Magic Ten' sequence ( minus the headstand), a couple of sun salutations, and warrior poses on each side, then free form some seated stretches. You can download charts with the sequences on them to keep focussed.

Gggirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2013, 06:27:49 PM »
Groupon is having a deal with yogadownload.  It is $16 for 3 mths or $29 for a year of unlimited online yoga classes.  I know there are free places to get videos but some people might be interested.  I bought the year one.  I did go to a studio but it was too expensive so I quit.   Tried free videos but was never consistent.  Hoping by having more choices I can get back into my yoga practice. 

Stacey

• Stubble
    • Bottling Moonlight
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2013, 01:41:22 PM »
Groupon is having a deal with yogadownload.  It is $16 for 3 mths or $29 for a year of unlimited online yoga classes.  I know there are free places to get videos but some people might be interested.  I bought the year one.  I did go to a studio but it was too expensive so I quit.   Tried free videos but was never consistent.  Hoping by having more choices I can get back into my yoga practice.

Thanks, Gggirl!  I checked it out and decided to spring for it.  I'm going to get bored doing the same few DVDs over and over again, so this looks like it'll be a great motivator to keep me interested.  And I already did one of their yoga videos and meditation audios today.  Good stuff.

teagnome

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2013, 03:46:39 PM »
I'll join in! I sometimes do the yogatoday.com free video of the week. Other days I like Wailana's yoga on the public channel in the mornings. But I have this lovely little space above our detached garage that I have no excuse not to use daily for yoga. It's still dark when I have workout time in the mornings but it's a habit I'm dying to rekindle.

ScienceSexSavings

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2014, 06:36:47 PM »

lcg377

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2014, 03:30:01 PM »
I'm going to jump in a day late! I did a few minutes of stretching yesterday, but I can definitely stick to a minimum of 10 minutes each day going forward. I miss the yoga classes I was taking last year, and have been meaning to get started on my own for months. :D

ScienceSexSavings

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2014, 07:02:03 PM »

mrsggrowsveg

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2014, 06:58:29 AM »
Thank you ScienceSexSavings for posting the yoga videos.  I will try one tonight.  Last night, I didn't feel like opening my computer so I did a few warrior series and some floor poses.  I am also going to try starting my day with the five Tibetan Rites when I wake up early.

ScienceSexSavings

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2014, 02:49:54 PM »
Thank you ScienceSexSavings for posting the yoga videos.  I will try one tonight.  Last night, I didn't feel like opening my computer so I did a few warrior series and some floor poses.  I am also going to try starting my day with the five Tibetan Rites when I wake up early.

No problem :) I love Jason Crandell! I think tonight is going to be a relaxing practice.
http://www.yogajournal.com/video/165

Stacey

• Stubble
    • Bottling Moonlight
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2014, 05:21:29 PM »
As an FYI, www.yogadownload.com does have some free 20 minute videos/audios if anyone is looking for some free sources for yoga workouts.  By the way, I started doing yoga & meditation every day about a week before New Year's - it feels great!  I'm definitely excited to keep this up.

ScienceSexSavings

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2014, 07:04:34 PM »
Day 4: Shoulder openers
http://www.yogajournal.com/video/138

I'm loving Jason Crandell :)

Nancy

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2014, 09:01:31 PM »
This has been great. I've always wanted to try yoga. I'm surprised and delighted at how challenging it can be!

ScienceSexSavings

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2014, 02:54:22 PM »
Day 5: doing the evening relaxation (Day 3) sequence again :)

jrs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2014, 03:11:53 PM »
Happy with the progress so far.  One week down, 3.4 weeks left to go!

ibexx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2014, 09:12:22 PM »
Very cool to see others getting into yoga.  As a software engineer I can spend a lot of time sitting in a chair.  Daily yoga keeps my body feeling great.

In 2007 I did the eight week program in the book Moving Toward Balance: 8 Weeks of Yoga with Rodney Yee and haven't missed a day since :)

I have a home practice and a YogaWorks membership.  My wife recently signed us up for YogaGlo which is awesome.  Some others on the thread have mentioned Jason Crandell and he and other world-class teachers are on the site.  I also used to watch Yoga Today frequently and the classes were also great.

Good luck on your yoga adventures!

Osprey

• Stubble
    • Osprey's Lab
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2014, 09:29:07 AM »
I'm in!
I have a mat and some free video downloads.
I may also join a class at a nearby community centre, depending on the price.
(This is my third and final challenge for the next quarter - the others being no clothes shopping and posting a monthly savings rate - and the most exciting!)

ScienceSexSavings

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2014, 07:50:33 PM »
I've been repeating practices lately, but I haven't missed a day yet! :)

Nancy

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2014, 12:30:04 PM »
I'm really enjoying this challenge, and I've already noticed a difference in my posture. I'd like to keep a yoga challenge going every month. Perhaps it won't be daily yoga, but a track how often you practice sort of challenge. I love spreadsheets so I was thinking of a Google doc, but I wasn't sure if it was "right" to track yoga minutes. Seems against the point of yoga. Maybe just a Y or N for did you practice today... Or maybe no challenge if no one else is interested!

mrsggrowsveg

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2014, 01:17:28 PM »
That is a great idea Nancy.  I have missed a few days and it would keep me more accountable.

jrs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2014, 04:43:09 PM »
Nancy,
If there was a spreadsheet - like the monthly biking and running threads here on the forums - I would participate.  For what it's worth, I already have a spreadsheet taped to the wall at home...

Osprey

• Stubble
    • Osprey's Lab
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2014, 11:52:49 PM »
Nancy, I am interested in a spreadsheet. (love 'em)
Having problems though. I did no exercise for a year and then overestimated my body's ability to get back into it. I may have overdone it and now in pain all over...
Taking it easy from now on!

ScienceSexSavings

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2014, 01:51:07 PM »
That would be a great idea!

mrsggrowsveg

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2014, 10:08:23 AM »
I am going to try to do some lunch break yoga today with these five poses:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/05/morning-yoga-poses_n_3801840.html

Sharing in case anyone else needs a relaxation break :)

Ms Betterhome

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2014, 01:18:59 PM »
I'm doing pretty well so far with a daily 'magic 10'. I should add I do a forearm downward dog (forearms on floor rather than palms), Not a handstand. The sequence is here: http://www.jivamuktiyoga.com/page/jivamukti-magic-ten-curriculum

windawake

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2014, 01:35:14 PM »
I wish I'd found this thread earlier in the month. I used to do yoga regularly 3-4x per week, but I was paying for yoga and cannot justify paying $105/month. I also felt it was a burden to have to adhere to their schedule, and wanted more flexibility once I got my puppy. Anyways I love the Yoga Studio app. It was something like $4, but there are many, many yoga classes you can take with different categories, time lengths, and difficulty levels. It's definitely worth it to me.

I'm going to try to commit to daily yoga for the rest of January with you guys and doing February too!

lcg377

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2014, 01:48:51 PM »
It's been great! I only missed one night, when I got home really late and fell asleep as soon as I changed clothes.  A couple times I got ready for bed, and then realized "Doh! Forgot yoga!" so just *thinking* about this thread has kept me accountable. lol

orcas50

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2014, 10:18:26 PM »
This thread has inspired me, too! I have attended classes for years at a yoga studio and after my pricey annual membership expired at the end of December, I bought a 10 pass card only. But then I read this thread! So now I'm committing to one class a week at the studio (until I use up my card) in addition to doing YogaGlo classes at home. I rotated my dining table 90 degrees and now have a dedicated space with a candle, plant and tiny buddha statue where I can unroll my mat each day. It looks out onto my lovely, peaceful and green backyard. I joined YogaGlow (which I LOVE) 10 days ago and have done yoga at home on 7 out of those 10 days. This is by far the most at-home yoga I've done ever, and I've been practicing yoga for 7+ years! What I am really the most excited about is that I am in charge of my own time, there's no driving to the studio, gas burned to get there, transition time, etc. It's just me and my mat. (Plus, I am not surrounded by anti-mustachian Lululemon and boob jobs in my dining room ;)

Osprey

• Stubble
    • Osprey's Lab
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2014, 09:59:18 PM »
12-hour days, plus 1-hour travel each way, interfered with yoga this week, reminding me of one of my non-negotiables for future work. Continuing this challenge into Feb!

crazy jane

• Bristles
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2014, 11:28:27 AM »
Thank you for this challenge. I did at least 10 min of yoga every day. It was awesome. Thank you to the posters who suggested do yoga with me. I used it several times. I'm in for February.

lcg377

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2014, 01:23:59 PM »
I did miss another day in Jan, but I'm going to stick with it for Feb as well. My new health plan even had a free yoga kit that you could request, so I signed up for it to get the DVD, so I can change up my usual routine, and throw in some longer sessions.  :D

FuckRx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2014, 08:57:17 AM »
i checked out yogadownload.com and they had some really great free videos to download. very impressed, i've done 2 so far and gonna keep it up.

anastrophe

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2014, 07:09:07 PM »
I did not do much yoga in January and I'd like to do better this month. I have a perfect stretch of wide-open hardwood floor in my bedroom, I should put it to good use.

I only have two classes left on my card at the fancy studio and then I am not going to buy any more...I will check out those downloads and maybe go to the donation community class...I am also sick of Lululemon and guys that look like ballerinas.