Author Topic: Cutting grocery bills  (Read 1926 times)

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
Cutting grocery bills
« on: July 13, 2014, 12:03:07 PM »
I did my biannual money check-up and discovered that for a few categories we were doing quite well but for groceries we were $400 over.  To make that money back I need to cut way back.  To do so we are cutting weekly spending to $50/week, extending our large grocery run from every two weeks to every three weeks and are going to start eating as much from the pantry and freezer as we can.  We spent $92 this week which should last all three weeks with a weekly stop of less than $15/week for fresh stuff like eggs/milk/fruits.  If this works we should spend less than $41/week for three weeks.  Let's see how this goes?

EarlyRetirementGuy

• Stubble
    • Early Retirement Guy
Re: Cutting grocery bills
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 10:37:50 AM »
To do so we are cutting weekly spending to $50/week,

Thats a tough amount, how many mouths to feed in the household? Congrats on making the decision though and let us know how it goes!

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
Re: Cutting grocery bills
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 11:45:07 AM »
To do so we are cutting weekly spending to $50/week,

Thats a tough amount, how many mouths to feed in the household? Congrats on making the decision though and let us know how it goes!
2 adults and one 18 month old which occasionally eats as much as we do.  We were spending about $55 for just the two adults before the baby was born.  I hoping that if I do a lot of cutting now, and spend less than $50, I can free up a bit later.