Author Topic: Cutting cable!  (Read 7843 times)

Joel

• Pencil Stache
Cutting cable!
« on: June 14, 2013, 05:12:43 PM »
I've finally decided to cut out cable.

I've wanted to for the last year, but I've never followed through with it. The main reasons are that I want to watch giants baseball, espn, NFL football, and sons of anarchy. Most of the other shows we watch are available through the Internet.

However, the goal is to exercise more and spend more quality time together instead of plopping down in front of the tv every night. What prompted this was a move closer to work (and a job change for the girlfriend) that will require more expensive rent. Why not cut out $100 per month for the ability to have a much nicer house and a significantly easier commute!

GreenGuava

• Stubble
Re: Cutting cable!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 03:49:39 PM »
I've wanted to for the last year, but I've never followed through with it. The main reasons are that I want to watch giants baseball, espn, NFL football, and sons of anarchy. Most of the other shows we watch are available through the Internet.

For purposes of this response, I'm going to assume you intend to look only at legal options.

I seem to recall that the MLB has a streaming package available through various packages.  I'm not a baseball fan so I can't really speak to that.

In regards to NFL, SNF is streamed by NBC.  Since you're a Giants fan, I'm assuming you're also a fan of the other bay area teams and you seem to live in the vicinity:  those games are probably available OTA.   Raiders and 49ers haven't suffered many blackouts lately.

Speaking of streaming sports, check out the AFL.  The league streams most of the games each week.  Unfortunately, your local team - the San Jose Sabercats - is hosting the only game next week that isn't going to be streamed.  It might be carried on OTA TV locally, depending, although it's nationally on the CBS Sports Network.  Plus, if you get really into it, tickets to games are pretty cheap.  Plus, the season doesn't really overlap with the NFL - if you get into it, not only don't you have to choose, you also only have to go seven weeks of the year without professional football.

As for ESPN and the Sons of Anarchy, I can't really help you there.  Sorry.

Joel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 10:54:12 PM »
The Giants are blacked out on MLB.tv in the region. So I will only be able to watch the nationally televised games with the antenna.

I should still be able to get most of the local NFL games (49ers), but I will miss out on the primetime games likely as I don't think I will receive those channels.

I don't want to try to watch another lower level sport, or any BS like that. I want to watch the Giants and the 49ers, and I would like to watch most of the NFL games. But we will see how it goes.

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 01:59:34 PM »
Did you find a way to make this work? I am mostly interested in Pro Football and College Football.

okiedoke

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 02:04:21 PM »
Consider a Roku.  They recently signed a deal with ESPN that streams ESPN (and, if you have little kids, the all-important Disney Jr.).  Since ESPN is about the only thing I watch, that pushed me over the edge to pull the plug, or at least reduce our cable to local channels (for like $15/month).

Grateful Stache

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 06:39:48 PM »
Success story: I came home from Christmas break, looked at my television and thought: "Oh shoot. I hope I paid the cable bill." Then I realized I cut the cable two years ago. Rabbit ears work great in our area, and we even get a few HD channels.

Cheers.

Iron Mike Sharpe

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 09:37:09 AM »
Consider a Roku.  They recently signed a deal with ESPN that streams ESPN (and, if you have little kids, the all-important Disney Jr.).  Since ESPN is about the only thing I watch, that pushed me over the edge to pull the plug, or at least reduce our cable to local channels (for like $15/month).

The ESPN app will only work if you have a cable subscription.

theSchmett

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 06:08:08 PM »
AntennaWeb.org can help you choose and orient an antenna to get HDTV over the air (OTA).

Its also the BEST picture available, totally uncompressed from the broadcaster's source!

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 06:16:32 PM »
Just realized I need Big Ten programming as well for college football. Great.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 08:52:13 PM »

I'm not sure this is correct.  I have no cable subscription--just internet through Charter.  I can watch some things on Watch ESPN (although lots of stuff is off limits).  On my laptop.  ??

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 06:15:24 AM »

I'm not sure this is correct.  I have no cable subscription--just internet through Charter.  I can watch some things on Watch ESPN (although lots of stuff is off limits).  On my laptop.  ??

We were able to use the ESPN app and watch ESPN on a laptop while we had cable Internet and no cable. Can't get cable run up to the house, so we're on DSL and really missed ESPN during football season. We lived, though. You actually only need a login, so perhaps if you have really good friends with cable....

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 04:35:43 AM »

Are you saying the ESPN through Roku only works if you have cable? Or just the laptop or mobile phone app?

Sports is on 24x7 in our house...basketball and football...DH cannot get enough. This is the difficult part of cutting our excessive cable package.

JoshuaSpodek

• Bristles
    • Leadership, values, meaning, purpose, importance, passion
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 09:42:54 AM »
Three tips for getting rid of things, whether material objects or immaterial, like a cable contract:

1. Think of what you gain, not what you lose. Instead of thinking of the football games you might not watch, think of things you'll be able to do instead. Time with kids, friends, dating, etc. For me, getting rid of things led to my awesome blog -- http://joshuaspodek.com -- which led to connections, which led to coaching clients -- http://joshuaspodek.com/coaching -- job offers, and more.

Personally, the biggest thing I gain from getting rid of stuff is freedom -- mental freedom, freedom from clutter, freedom from bills, etc -- which I value more than just about anything. It's easy to get rid of things when you're thinking about gaining freedom.

2. Ask "Will I miss it if it's gone" or "Would I get it if I didn't have it" not "Could I use it someday?" You'll always think of some way of using something if you ask that last question. Now imagine you lived without the thing for a while. Would you get it? Without cable you wouldn't spend your free time staring at an empty wall. You'd start hobbies, meet new people, etc. If you can think of anything better you can do with your time, you know you won't regret your decision. People lived without cable for millions of years. You could probably live without it.

Yeah, I like watching football too. Guess what, I'm going to my friend's place this afternoon to watch some playoff games so instead of missing anything I'm spending time with friends. Do I mind that I missed some regular season games? No. Why not? I just told you, because of the clients and jobs I got instead. Oh yeah, I also trained for the marathon many of those fall afternoons. I'll choose actively living sports over passively watching others any day.

3. Practice! Start small and build. Try getting rid of small things and build to bigger ones. I started moving toward minimalism by getting rid of my books -- http://joshuaspodek.com/less_please. The experience was so rewarding it propelled me to getting rid of more and finding more freedom.

Try going without cable for a few months. You'll find alternative solutions to addictions and attachments you can't break faster when you don't have cable than abstractly when you do. If you have to, try during the off-season. Actually, for football, since there are only a few games left this season, you could schedule watching the playoffs and Super Bowl with friends and cut it today. The cable company will be happy to take your money again if you find you want to restart.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 09:46:58 AM by JoshuaSpodek »

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 09:56:58 AM »
Yep--Joshua speaks the truth!!

When I still had cable, I thought there was NO WAY I could live without watching the major tennis championships!!

And guess what, here I am 3 years later, living and breathing, and no longer paying the almighty cable company my hard-earned dollars.

The stuff I do watch (free on internet or on DVDs from libraries) is really great stuff that I choose to watch.  And it is commercial free.  Key word here, I think, is FREE!!

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 04:52:50 PM »
Cough cough bittorrent, cough cough pirate cable feeds over the internet.

I would never do anything like that though.   I think we're soon going to see a system where everything is offered ala carte over the web.   People are dropping their cable bills en mass and heading over to services like netflix.    Cable channels won't last much longer if they don't find other venues for service.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 06:58:57 AM »
I didn't think he'd do it, but it's funny how MMM rubs off.  DH is chomping at the bit to get out of his AT&T iPhone and into a Republic Wireless phone, and then in the past few days, he's decided to dump cable and just keep internet.  He's been getting pretty fed up with NetFlix, too.  As soon as this season of Walking Dead is over, the cable is going.  We have Amazon Prime and he was looking at Hulu.  Aside from the $$ savings, I think this will result in being more thoughtful about what we decide to watch.  #excited!  When I was single I never had cable, just a small TV for watching movies now and then.  It will be nice to get back to that peace and quiet.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2014, 08:11:47 AM »
DH is chomping at the bit to get out of his AT&T iPhone and into a Republic Wireless phone

When you run the numbers, it's an expensive proposition for a switch that has no customer service and lousy mobile reception outside of WiFi calling. You and your husband should give the first seven posts of the Superguide a read first before pulling the handle.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2014, 08:16:41 AM »
I've had my Republic phone for a month now and it's been fine for calling outside of WiFi and I don't notice the difference between their 3G and the 4G I had with Verizon.  He's got several more months on his contract with AT&T, so I'll be sure to point out other options for him.

TonyPlush

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2014, 08:35:55 AM »
Proud Mohu Leaf owner checking in.

I get around 30 channels, completely free. All the local channels in crystal clear HD (FOX, CBS, ABC, NBC, PBS, CW, Telemundo, Univision) with a ton of very obscure, standard definition channels mixed in.

I haven't missed cable one bit. I consider myself a sports fan, but ESPN and SportsCenter have been devoid of any actual content for a very long time. Any sporting event that's really worth watching, such as playoff games, the Super Bowl, the Olympics, or even just the big weekly matchup, will be available for free over one of the local channels. Besides that, I realized meticulously tracking every minute of every team's season was a complete time sink, and my life has been much more fulfilling and productive by kicking the addiction.

I've also found that 6+ HD channels are more than enough. When kicking back for a few minutes, I can always find something to watch, and without the artificial narrowing of my tastes via DVR I actually find myself being entertained by shows I would never have considered watching. In this way I find the TV in my house serves its intended purpose... a nice occasional leisurely distraction instead of the multiple-hour daily addiction it has grown into for most of the population.

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2014, 08:43:25 AM »
I watch college football. Mostly Big Ten and they have their own network. That is what I will really miss. Pro football yeah I can catch those on local OTA.

theSchmett

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2014, 10:39:35 AM »
I saw an item somewhere about how an exec at HBO doesn't care if we all share HBO Go Subscriptions. Supposedly its "ok" for cable cutters like me to "borrow" a login from a friend who has HBO via the traditional methods.

Here it is on Boy Genius Report: http://bgr.com/2014/01/20/hbo-go-login-sharing-policy/

Don't blame me when the law comes knocking...

Mortgage Free Mike

• Stubble
    • Save on Almost Everything
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2014, 07:43:56 PM »
Cut the cord three years ago and haven't looked back. I recently blogged about this and echo what Joshua says. Think about what you gain.
There's a whole world to experience when you're not staring at a screen for hours.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 09:16:02 PM by Mortgage Free Mike »

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2014, 07:51:06 PM »
I saw an item somewhere about how an exec at HBO doesn't care if we all share HBO Go Subscriptions. Supposedly its "ok" for cable cutters like me to "borrow" a login from a friend who has HBO via the traditional methods.

Here it is on Boy Genius Report: http://bgr.com/2014/01/20/hbo-go-login-sharing-policy/

Don't blame me when the law comes knocking...

The reason he doesn't, regardless of the security implications, is he believes if they are shared, then when they do decided to act on that issue they'll have more subscribers.

I'd love to get my wife to see the world of possibilities.  Instead we end up watching TV most nights.  And with the Olympics on, she has the TV on almost every waking moment.

theSchmett

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2014, 02:52:04 AM »
I was able to speed the adoption of cable  cutting by just shifting to Netflix and Hulu Plus on PS3, and the landline to a ConnectMe box, before actually turning it all off. After giving up TiVo when we switched to HD, we were thrilled to be watching on demand, almost without commercials, and more content than the TiVo could ever record. 

when I did the math and found we would save $600, meaning $600 would be available for. buying shows on Amazon or iTunes to make up for any viewing shortfall we were hooked. And we never buy shows, its just nice knowing we can. 

FWIW. Everyone is different when it comes to TV.