Author Topic: Create a Mustachian "Intentional Community"  (Read 1937 times)

amicableskeptic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Create a Mustachian "Intentional Community"
« on: September 16, 2013, 10:30:52 PM »
I've been reading a bit about "Intentional Community's" recently.  They seem like a great way to live cheaply and sustainably and surround yourself with good people who are interested in doing the same.  Hearing about the Chataqua today I started thinking about how cool it would be to expand such a meeting to a full time neighborly co-housing situation.  I feel like a Mustachian IC would be like current ICs, but more practical and more financially sound.  An IC would allow internet sharing on a much bigger scale than MMM's own current setup.  There could also be the tool share and workshop/buildspace share that so many ICs have.  We could try more ambitious choices too like having a communally owned combined heat and energy generator like this http://www.greencarcongress.com/2009/09/volkswagen-lichtblick-20090909.html supplemented with solar/wind to be truly self sufficient and not need individual furnaces per house, or having a shared electric vehicles and cargo bikes.

I don't think I'd be ready to do something like this for a few more years, but getting such a place all set up definitely takes a while so I figured why not start talking about it today?  If you might be interested or have ideas to make this place better please share.  It probably goes without saying on this forum, but we are getting bigger so I figured I should say it, if you aren't interested or just have pessimistic things to say please create another thread to expound on them in.

http://www.ic.org/

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Create a Mustachian "Intentional Community"
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 10:54:09 PM »
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.